Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Welcome to the continuation of the Mercedes-Benz
C-Class (Part 5)
topic. Those of you joining us
from that topic are welcome to continue your
discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Ha, got the first post!
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Just got back from a 300 mile Thanksgiving drive, got between 26-27mpg, seems pretty good. We are still loving the new C, but are starting to get a few chips on hood. Our I30 was driven over the same routes and had about as many chips after 3 years as the Benz does after 3 weeks. I'm really starting to wonder about the quality of paint on the hood. The paint must not be very hard, the chips are very small, and I would think whatever is making them should not chip the paint. Not only does it have about 8-10 very small chips, I see a new one everyday, but now that I'm really looking I see 4-6 tiny spots were there's some sort of debris under the paint. We paid $1k for our special order paint and I'm not too happy with the workmanship. What do you people think about this? Are the newer bras any good? Do they abrade the surface? Are they even availible for the new Cs?
  • nusinknusink Member Posts: 12
    It is my understanding that all MB paint is water base due to environmental concerns at the factory. I just sold my 99 SLK and ordered a C320. My experience was the same as yours. Every day I would end up with a new rock chip. I will be looking into buying a bra for my C320.
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    Can you post a pic of your Capri Blue C? I would love to see some good pictures of this color.
  • nfotxnfotx Member Posts: 15
    Yes, this car is for business purposes only.
  • nfotxnfotx Member Posts: 15
    Okay Daniel, Let's hear the report. How's the new car? You must have taken delivery today.
  • cclass117cclass117 Member Posts: 36
    nfotx...
    Hm.. It's a bad news...
    I still didn't get it. I just called the dealership and they are frustrated also.
    Trucking guys didn't show up yet!

They shipped the car on Tuesday at 4PM in LA to San Jose, CA... I still didn't have a chance to

Ohhhhhhh!!!!! Yeah!!!!!! He just called me!!
    It's here! I'll be back tonight and tell you what I think!!!!
  • jonoratojonorato Member Posts: 22
    ...a C240 (C1,2,3,4; K2; Bose, metallic silver/ash) and have been reading all your comments with interest. I too cannot believe they refuse to acknowledge any "problems" they're having regardless of what they are. Displays a striking lack of understanding about the new information age, where everything gets out anyway and it's all about how you handle it getting out.

Anyway, got $470 off MSRP, but had to flog them for it. I'm hoping it doesn't come with any scratches, and I'm hoping they have their problems worked out by then. Tis a beautiful machine.

The funniest thing about reading this thread was that I went to high school with a guy named Paul Hatala, and he had means and it wouldn't surprise me if he was MB USA Pres a bit. I may write him.
  • jonoratojonorato Member Posts: 22
    ...late Feb. to early March for delivery.
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    From a post back in Mercedes-Benz C-Class (Part 5) a few of you commented about unscheduled oil changes costing $40+. I don't understand why you would want to change oil earlier than what the onboard computer suggests. I haven't taken delivery of my new C, however I would like to know if servicing it more than what is recommended is necessary.
    The way I look at, if I lease for 3 years and MB covers all maintenance for 4 years 50,000 miles and something happens because of their service intervals....it’s MB’s problem.
  • sjsubumsjsubum Member Posts: 6
    jonorato, please tell me where you placed your order. I placed my order for a C240 in late September in the San Francisco/San Jose area (Smythe), I was told last week to expect delivery in the spring (about the same time as your delivery date or later). THX
    sirus32-I agree with you, if you're leasing for 3 years go for only the free service. Many of us bought our cars and plan on keeping them more than 3 years. With that in mind, I want the break-in oil and filter out of there between 2-3k, After that I'm going for the included service only, although I will switch to Mobil 1 synthetic, I can pretend it's an AMG then LOL!

nusink- Do you have any idea where to get a bra for the new C Class? I've checked with several dealers and they don't have them yet. I did see at clairparts they sell bras for SLKs for only $91, I e-mailed them and asked when they'd get them for the C Class. I'll post their response here if you're interested.
    I don't know where we can get a
    C cup..............oops, I mean a C class
    bra as of yet. If you do find a manufacturer
    please pass the information on. By the
    way, reference your gas mileage on the
    Thanksgiving trip, do you have the
    240 or 320?
    We're still in the break-in period and drove 66-71mph. Do you think it will improve at say 10k, when it's totally broken in? Those little chips are really a bummer, I'll let you know what I here on the C cup bra, let me know if you find one.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    my 240 has 3000 miles on it..why change opil?new engine has small debris from breaking in..just changed oil and filter..worth every cent..reccomended 1st change is 10,000..too long for my comfort zone...my 240 has been getting 26-30 mph hwy depending on speed i travel..best is at 55-65
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Say, do you think that there is enough room in the Edmunds Sedans Conference to have more than one topic room (#4185, and the previous rooms) to discuss the C series MB?

Topic # 4185 (and several of the previous threads) have been devoted almost entirely to the ordering/delivery of the 2001 C's, color of paint, options, CD changers etc, etc. --- adinfinitum. It gets old fast.

I created new topic room # 4145 but, without leadership from the top things are going along at a (French) snails pace.
    Thanks for your input.

I created a new topic room (#4145) but without any direction from the top it is going at a snails pace. After all, there are many many more of us "old" C series owners that are still interested in current problems/ideas pertaining to the older cars.
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    sorry about the repitition in the last couple of paragraphs in post # 16. I didn't realize that I had a spacing problem until after I posted the message.
    Thanks a lot
  • ksydneyksydney Member Posts: 11
    I had been thinking about getting a ML320, until I saw the new C series. Wow...

I'll be using it as a third car--we already have an Expedition for the 3 kids and I drive a cargo van during the week.

I drove a C320 sport today and was very impressed with most everything. I did feel the trunk has a bit of a cheap feel to it however. The power and handling seem great.

We have a friend who is the sales manager at the local MB dealer, so I think we can get a pretty good deal, he is quoting 3-4 months for delivery.

I think I'll order with option C2, C3 and C6 sport pkg. I'm not to sure about color, although the slilver looks pretty good. The Obsidian black is nice too, however that might be too bland with the charcoal interior.

What do you think?
    I just cam back from the dealer with my new C.
    It's Silver/Ash Premium Leather, C1, C2, C4, XENON, Auto, CD Changer.
    After 3 horrified days of unexpected waiting..(Nobody knew where the truck driver went!) it came to the dealership 2 miles away from my house in ONE Unmodified car.
    No scratch at all, perfect shape, only had 8 miles on it.
    My car has 25 miles on it now.
    I am so glad that the car came in one piece..=)
  • silverfangsilverfang Member Posts: 3
    Howdy all!
    Ive been reading these very helpful posts for a while now and have decided to add a bit of helpful wisdom.

First let me say that after 8 hours I went, checked out, and purchased my C240 with no waiting.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET ONE LESS THAN STICKER!!! After emailing all the dealers within a 150 mile area, ONE of them called and told me that they were selling their "test drive" model - a loaded 240 and that they would deal on it.
    All of the other dealers in my area are stuck on the MSRP due to demand and supply constraints.

I followed the advice of Edmunds, and haggled my old wreck of a car up in value (a 91 Jeep Wrangler w/ 119000 miles).

I also got them to lower the interest rate, drop the price on the car (by 3K since it was driven 500 miles)and throw in a CD changer and some cargo nets.

I will say that they were very professional, kind, and considerate at the dealership... they answered all my questions and I felt they were really trying to work with me (Calstar Motors - Glendale, CA).

Anyways, I just wanted to throw my two cents in... you dont want to pay sticker and dont want to wait... see if they want to get rid of their "high mileage" test drive car...
    Its a C240
    Desert Silver/Java - C1,C2,C3,C4 Leather
    CD,New and Improved Steering Wheel

...giddiup
    I was reading through the C operation manual last night and I tried to program the Integrated grage door opener.
    We have Sears Garage door opener and I followed the C manual...

Keep the remote 2-5 inches from the mirror.. and press both (remote & car remote button) at the same time and it should blink rapidly, but it didn't. I checked the Actual opener and I don't think it has a rolling code feature in it.

Anybody had luck programming their Integrated remote with Sears Opener??
    Other than that, car's perfect!

Daniel.
    Our dearler programed ours, but I remember that he said you had to press a certain one of the buttons to capture the code, I think it was the one on the right side. Good luck!
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Any C320 perspective/owners have the COMMAND option or know when it'll be available? I have a Acura TL 3.2 99 right now and have an option for BMW 330i or C320, but I want the nav. My friend has a 328i and the Nav. doesn't seem as good as TL's. If anyone has a third party link on this COMMAND please let me know. Thanks.
  • tclawtclaw Member Posts: 23
    Call it a coincidence, but after my horrendous phone call with MB USA "customer service" last week, in which I was told that the door "concern" (not a "problem," heaven forbid)would delay my car in port for a week or two, and after my aggressive letter faxed to the president of MB USA (about which I posted a message last week), my dealer called this morning to say that my C 320 has been released to the trucker. It's been exactly three weeks since it arrived in Baltimore. The dealer will send its own truck to get it on Monday.
    You mentioned in post # 22 that your car has the new and improved steering wheel. Is that something different from the C's that I have seen at my dealership recently?
    Nusink,

Yes, Im prettty sure that its VERY NEW, as there are only two in the country at the moment.
    When I walked in, the salesrep geve me a brochure "C-class - the Collection"
    In it they show things like:
    Roof Mounted Bike Rack
    Rear Side-Window Sunshades (Manual operation)
    7-Spoke Wheels, style B
    Wood and Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel
    6-Disc CD Changer (yep, the standard one)
    Fully Integrated Digital Phone System
    Illuminated Door Sill Panels
    Sunroof Wind Deflector
    Roof Rack System
    All Season Floor Mats
    Rear Seat Cover
    Trunk Cargo Tray with Dividers
    Sliding Trunk Drawer and
    Trunk Nets

Those are the xtra, xtras!! No prices listed, however, like I wrote, I got them to throw some stuff in for free... Best of Luck

silverfang
  • ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    I've programmed my genie intellicode garage door
    opener with homelink on my 2000 Lincoln Navigator. Hope this is the same as the C class

Try this:

First erase your car's homelink memory (press two
    outside buttons at the same time for twenty
    seconds-- it'll blink fast when erased). Then
    program your garage door remote transmitter to the
    homelink by holding down a homelink button and
    your remote at the same time (hold the remote at
    least 1/2 inches from the visor). THEN.. get up to
    the garage door opener housing attatched to the
    garage roof. Open the white casing where the
    light bulb is. On the lower right hand side there
    is a small black button that when pushed in makes a little red light blink. Once the red light is
    blinking you are in "code learning mode" and have
    20 seconds to press the button on your homelink
    (car visor on my Navi, I think it's on the rear view mirror in the C's) that you previously programmed to your garage door remote. Press it two to four times and your garage should open and close.
    That should be all you have to do. If it still doesn't work check you car manual and call up homelinks 800 #. They were very helpful when I called.
  • lwhomerlwhomer Member Posts: 13
    I have Homelink on my Acura and a rolling code opener. Ric1035's decription sounds like the same thing my manual said to do and it worked for me. Since Homelink is probably the same regardless of car brand, it should work for M-B owners as well. Good luck.

Larry Homer
    lwhomer@cwnet.com
  • pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    my 99 works on both my Stanley and my folks Sears openers. No idea whether they have rolling codes or not.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I've been on 3 short road trips with my c320 and fortunately no chips yet. However, after washing my car last week I found three spots on the front that I really thought were chips. I then used just a tiny touch of tar remover on them, and yahoo!!! They were gone. I don't know what it was, but it sure looked like chips.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Congrats on your new car, it sounds great! I'm sure that it was worth the wait. Now, aren't you glad that you got the Xenons? ;-)

Any chance that you can post some pictures of it? Photopoint.com is a good (and free) place for sharing your pictures.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    steering wheel is available at clairparts for..hmm i think about $550..my dealer wants $800!
    was thinking of getting it...but not sure its worth the$$
  • voyagermavoyagerma Member Posts: 1
    After seeing my brother's Kompressor, I need to be in a C class. Is it wise to start with a used one just to get in one and than buy later when my cash flow is better?
    Thank you very much for your help everyone!
    My problem was that some other code were already programmed in those buttons..
    I pressed two outside buttons for more than 20sec. and it started blinking rapidly.
    I guess it cleard everything.
    And then I pressed both C Opener button and the remote button at the same time.. It started blinking slowly, and a sec or two later, rapidly.

The bottom line is..
    I guess you need to clear everything before you program your opener when you get a new car. Maybe like initialization or something.

Aling,
    Yes! I love it! I am enjoying the every minute! Since I bought the car from a broker, they didn't have Tele-Aid Subscriber Agreement form to fax in. Went to the MB dealer and picked it up.
    I called MB Response Center, and they are damn kind and nice! She said that my Tele-Aid will be activated tomorrow. All I need to do is press the SOS button.

Man.. You guys don't know how much I appreciate your posts and hints.. Because I bought my car fron a broker, I probably had to go through all these issues by myself if you guys are not here.
    Thanks again.

Daniel.
    I was working in my back yard building a shed over the Thanksgiving weekend..and I didn't have a chance to take some dig. photos yet. BUT! I'll wash my car tomorrow and take some nice ones and post the address here.

Daniel
    Do you have any idea where to get a bra for the new C class?
    Do you have any idea where to get a bra for the new C class?
    That's what I get for hitting reload!
  • djfmdjfm Member Posts: 3
    re:chipmarks..are chipmarks more on the lighter/darker colored c's? are these h20-based paints used on both mettalic/std kinds?? had a black 93 rx7 2turbo and a red truck. was thinking 'bout a white c to give the truck a rest during non-winter mos, unless chips show up more.may go w/ black again if so.

re:nav..if added on later, will the stock radio/cd/cassette be taken out when nav has to go in? sounds kinda scarely for virgin mechanics to be doing on a new dash, no? 1.5 hrs for an oil change, wonder how long for an install on a nav? better off having the factory boys doin it or what?

am taking the plunge to like all y'all. and do it right w/c is why all the ???. so far i may go for a 240 stick, C2,C4 Xen's and possibly the nav and voice command(if available after delivery). wanna keep it below the lux tax.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    We should file a class action lawsuit against MB or something. I have 2 new MBs and both are full of chipmarks. I attributed them to the gravel trucks on Seattle freeways, but with so many complaints, that can't be the only explanation.

A word on bras. I have one for my ML, but since it rains here a lot, I have to keep taking it on and off. I end up not using the bra most of the time, and hence the chip marks.

The last generation C didn't have a bra available, and I think that's because of the star on the hood.
  • PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    I have a new C320 . . . with 700 miles on it now. Have noticed very recently that there is a distinct "ticking" sound at idle. Just developed. Could this be from a bad tank of gas (Costco supreme)? Or??? I'm reluctant to bring it in to the dealership and have the engine torn down . . .at this point. Any ideas on this? Car runs great . . no problems whatsoever. Pete
    When I was driving off the dealer with my new C, I noticed a quite a bit of throttle delay. I just thought that it's the Driver adaptive Auto Trans. My car only has 25Mi. on it now, so I can't tell if it will get improved.. Is this normal?

Also, I am concerned about my new car break-in. I know I need to vary the speed and keep the RPM lower than 3500. Anything else I need to know??

Daniel
  • andrew36andrew36 Member Posts: 7
    i notice this on my 2000 E320 - its just a characteristic of mb... you get used to it
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    I've noticed that the first acceleration after starting the engine appears to be sluggish. For example, after sitting in the garage overnight, when I back out, and then shift to drive to drive away, it almost seems like the transmission is in second gear. After that first time, the rest of the accelerations from stop are normal. It may be because the engine and trans are cold (50F!); I have a C320 with about 1200 miles on it.

Tom
    Does anyone know if the C engine utilizes any type of a mechanical device in the fuel injection system vs. completely electronic? I have seen several posts now about the noisy idle of the C.
    Just a thought. Mike
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    ctic:
    I'd suggest you redirect the class action lawsuit against our government, though you'll never win :-P
    MB and most other car makers have switched to a more environmentally-friendly paint. Side effect is that it chips way too easily. I suspect most car makers will be headed this way soon to make the EPA happy...

dennett:
    I'd strongly suggest an invisible bra. It's $500-600, but you won't have to worry about rain getting it wet, dirt sanding your paint, etc.
  • boston9boston9 Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching for a 2000 "new" or demo C280, but have not been able to locate one in the Northeast. I don't particularly like the new C-class, but was out of the country for a good portion of the year so I was unable to purchase a C280 at the right time. Does anyone have any advice on how I might search a larger area for the car? The dealers I have discussed with have not been a great deal of help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jim
    My wife and I are Rvers and have seen a lot of motorhomes with invisible bras and haven't been impressed. They still get marks in them, caused by the same things that chip paint, makes little gouges that aren't invisible. On a bright color like our magma red, the marks would be very visible,black too I'd bet, probably not on white or silver. I think I prefer to go with a bra, if I can find one! Here in Southern California rain isn't much of a concern, and my wife will probably leave it in the garage in bad weather anyways. I've seen bras on CLKs and they have the emblem, so hopefully I'll be able to find one. I really appreciate the info on the invisible bra, I'd never even considered it, who knows I may even reconsider and ask you guys for more info!
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Are the marks on the invisible bra material or are they chips that happened on the paint underneath the material? Folks who have had it for a long time on Audis and MLs say it protects the covered areas well...the only problem is the areas not covered :-)
This discussion has been closed.