Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    When I said get it aligned I ment the steering wheel, I'm sure your alignment is fine. Drew never misses anything does he?!!!!
    Have you ever talked to service guys at your dealer about the remote unlock feature not working on our Cs? You seem to have a good relationship with your dealer, and I'd be very interested to see what you could find out! Also, when I go to the Chat schedule, I don't see our MB chat listed, can we get it added to that list? I'll try to be there for the car chat this week, it's Tuesday right? Will you be there?
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Hi Folks:

I happen to be a MY2000 C280 owner and still follow this board as I will be needing another vehicle in the fall and there's NOTHING wrong with having two of the same car (differing model years) in the family! ANYWAY... I had tele-aid for a year and dropped it because I NEVER used it. Even if it had the unlock feature I would not renew it. The last time I locked my keys in the car was when I was 16! I can't ever imagine using this feature.

If you notice in the commercial the guy is in an underground (or concrete) garage. Do you think the satellite signal will work under those conditions? If you're REALLY worried about locking your keys in the car, carry the flat key in your wallet. Oh.. and don't lock your wallet in the car! One last thing... can anyone tell me WHY this feature is so important besides that WOW factor?
  • russlaroserusslarose Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the new C320 wagon will be available here in America?
    It's an important feature because we paid for it! We were told our cars have it, and every piece of literature MB puts out says our cars have it. Maybe I, and others sound like whinners, but we just want what we paid for. And we expect MB to take care of this issue and not just attempt to forget it and us. You are right though, in stating the fact that it really isn't that important of a feature, I have never locked my keys in any car. It's just the principle of the matter. If you were told you had it you would expect it as well.

Tele-aid is way more than this feature, the most important one to me is the airbags deployed and or belt pretensioners activated feature, if either of these happen MB knows immediately and calls the car to check on you and your condition, they call police and emergency personel and if you're out they can tell them exactly where you're located. If you're ever in a serious accident this feature is priceless in my mind! I also like the feature that allows them to track your vehicle if it's stolen. Makes lojack repetitive, although the finance department and lojack say otherwise, they're just trying to get more of your money.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Hello all,
    (Leather c-2,c-3,c4)
    I fall in that pre 59000 category and also do not have the satellite unlocking. I have really reamed them out only to learn that there is no fix yet. My opinion, this is a broken contract and I do plan to as they say in the legal world, be made whole. (It is a big deal when you lock your keys in the car because its means a broken window to get in)

Squealing brakes: In twice ,first to clean the pads, then at 1115 miles they put on new rotors and pads. It is 95 % better though the squeal is returning with light applications.

Off Center steering wheel: Mine was off 1/2 hour and was corrected by the dealer.

SOS Malfunction: Corrected by dealer with software upgrade(Not the remote unlocking discussed earlier)

Rocking driveres seat bottom cushion: Has been in twice with no luck in fixing. /dealer is trying to tell me this is normal! The drivers seat bottom moves up and down at the extreme back of the bottom cushion over moderate bumps and around certain corners.
    was wondering if any of you can duplicate this problem? I can, just by sitting in the drivers seat and pulling on each front corner to induce the pivot in the seat bottom cushion as it will actually pivot backwards. MB hotline advises me to have dealer make appt with the zone rep to discuss with me. I'm doing this now. Will any of you let me know if your seat bottom does this?

Performance: Runs very well, getting 22.5 mpg for all 1900 miles. Horsepower rating on this car is very conservative. Car handles very well though I will upgrade the tires/wheels to a 225/50/17 for a better footprint. Check out www.tirerack.com for their ideas.

Thanks again for all your feed back as fellow beta testers.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the C-class was launched in Germany in the Spring of 2000, I think (Tarik may correct me on this), so you at least you all weren't the Alpha testers :-) The last I heard though, MB reported that those C-classes have better than average (new) Mercedes-Benz reliability.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Drew,

Thanks for the clarification on the beta testing. Its just that I came out of a Lexus that never needed anything but oil changes for three years. So I'm disappointed that MB doesn't have a better handle on what is going out the door. Needless to say, I thought my troubles might be isolated until I discovered this great web site. I expected much better than I have gotten so far with this car.
    You should know that just about all European vehicles will require more (shall we say) care, than Japanese vehicles. However, the pros outweigh the cons, in my humble opinion. One way to look at it is that with the C-class's long intervals before services/oil changes, you may actually be going back fewer times or the same amount of times to the service department, as you would've with the Lexus.

Was your Lexus a first year model? If not it's not really fair to compare it to the '01 C-class. Lexus cars are not necessarily completely trouble free either. Many GS-series owners had fair amounts of problems with their cars.
  • nil88nil88 Member Posts: 10
    all c240 owners. does the c240 have enough power for passing when going mph? any post to this question would be helpful. i have an c240 on order with delivery late march. i have the oppertunity to buy a c320 with 5000 miles for $40,000. i thinking about doing this if the c240 does't have enought passing power when going 70mph
  • sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    Yes it is true. I have a first year '95 Maxima and first year Infiniti I30. Both cars have not had any problems, but don't have the "ambiance"
    of a european sedan.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone built a car with the best of both? Wow! Sign me up!

STEVE
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    been in nassau/bahamas for a few days... hope all is well... was walking down the main drag in nassau(prince st i think) and they were having a raffle for a car.... guess which?? ;))
    so i walked up and said.. "darlin' THAT IS MY CAR!"
    she ahhs"oooo do you love it????"
    damn straight!
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I can answer the 1st year Lexus question. Owned a 1990 LS 400, black . Beautiful automobile. Drove the car for 9 years and 10 months. 140,000 miles. Nothing except routine service including brakes. Missed the 100,000 mile tune up, and never touched the engine. Ran as well the day I traded it in as the day I picked it up. AND, it was one of... if not the... 1st LS400 delivered in this state. But this is a MB site so enough about that.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    yes!.. as a good friend and mb owner told me before i got mine deleivered" these mb;s have "long legs"
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    The 240 has PLENTY of power. I don't understand why people don't think a car with a V6 engine is going to have enough oomph. I had a 95 Accord with a 4 cyl VTEC engine that put out something like 145 hp. It always had more than enough power for me, passing or otherwise. The C240 has something like 168 hp and doesn't weigh too much more than my Accord did. This car will go plenty fast and you actually won't even realize how fast you're actually going. Merging onto a highway it gets up past 60 before the end of the ramp. Not only that but it's very, very smooth.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Why don't you rip off a letter to the Dept. of Transportation. They are responsible for recalls, aren't they? The more the merrier. If everyyone sends a cc to MBUSA and there are enough of you that do, I am sure MBUSA will get on the problem.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Is anyone getting the LoJack level theft insurance reduction from their company on the new C? Have you tried asking for it? My company has two rate reduction levels: one for the traditional "lock & chirp" alarms, and another 10% for LoJack. Has anyone been able to convince their insurer that the system in the C qualifies for the "LoJack rate"?
    I'm sure you've all heard but Dale's gone. I'm absolutely devastated and I still can't believe it.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    nyca:
    I got Amica to give me the Lojack discount on my ML. I also got the discount for the alarm, so I'm at the max discount for comprehensive.
    The only reason I caught parts of the Daytona race was because you mentioned it the other day; I don't watch NASCAR, but other races (ex. LeMans, GT/Touring car, WRC, etc.). I was shocked to hear the news as well. I watched him race in the Corvette C5R at the Rolex 24 hrs race a couple of weeks ago. :-( The irony was that his son won the the Daytona 500.

Drew
    Host
  • dxrxfxdxrxfx Member Posts: 7
    read on a leasing message board that the c-class has high residuals. can anyone tell me their lease deals, and with what bank?
    Actually his son was second, a car he owned and that was driven by one of his best friends, Michael Waltrip won the race. In fact Dale was trying to protect those two by blocking everybody behind him, and that in all likelyhood contributed to his passing. It's truly hard for me to say that he's gone, but he is. RIP
    Oops, my mistake. I just remembered that from Speedvision's Raceweek. I just thought that it was amazing that he survived the races in the '70s and '80s, but didn't make it this time around.
  • mga3mga3 Member Posts: 51
    The suggestion of writing letters to the Dept.of Transportation (DOT) by sshowitt at message #1316. Is one of the best suggestions I've read so far.

If the DOT get involved. I'm sure MB will stop dragging their feet and find a proper solution.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    If MB had listed this feature all they had to do was put an asterisk next to it and in small print say (late availability). It is way too often that I see this in new vehicles. The new Ford Explorer will have a stability system standard on 2002 vehicles but it explicity states in their literature that it will be LATE AVAILABILITY. I am sure you folks have done the research and I implore you to continue your fight to get what's rightfully yours.

With respect to my decision to cancel my subscription to Tele-Aid after the first year, well that's just me. I drive mainly in the NY Metro area and the Northeast corridor where the feature of air bag deployment notification would not matter to me. Once that happens around here it's a VERY short time before help arrives/is notified.

The few times that I tried Tele-Aid it was painfully slow to get an operator. I am talking minutes, not seconds. Maybe it's improved since the last time I used it was last summer.
  • kkuetkkuet Member Posts: 28
    for those of you who have problems with tele-aid (unlocking the doors, etc.), are you referring to the info center saying malfunction of the SOS. or is it a completely differect thing. if it is, how do you know that the tele-aid is not working?
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    had to wash my white C-320 this weekend. I noticed on my car being white, that there was a line a blach dirt down both sides. The indentation that runs down the sides traps dirt and it does not wash out. you have to take a towel and use the edge to run it down the groove. Minor problem, but it has to be done on every sem. The dirt showed up real well in these seems.
    I'm getting 21 MPG right now, with less than 400 miles on my car.
    I got 2 deductions on insurance. One for the daylight running lights and lojack
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    djasonw:
    That assumes they knew about the problem going into the release and early enough to change the brochures.
    It does sound like bad QA for them not to know though :-P
  • doomday9999doomday9999 Member Posts: 4
    This is the answer somebody from MBWorld.org get when he contacted his dealer about the unlocking problem.

"Service manager finally got me what I needed to know:

1) Yes, a fix is in the works.
    2) Timing will be some time between March and June.
    3) Will be at no cost to the customers.
    4) Reason for the problem -- MB rushed the car to market without a feature that they did intend to put on the cars. His theory is that since it is really quite hard to lock your keys in the car, they let them fly.

He was not sure whether MB or my dealer would be the one to notify me when it is ready. He suggested I check back in May if I've not heard from him or MB.
  • loconnelloconnel Member Posts: 1
    i drove my first mercedes last weekend... i never experienced anything like it.... I was wondering if any of you know if there is 'room' in the price for negotation.... the dealer i went to seemed to imply that there was none for any mercedes... am i missing something???
  • shadow22shadow22 Member Posts: 4
    Just to let you know that the dealership is ordering a new latch for the trunk and hopefully that will fix that problem. I haven't had the seat checked out yet. I figured I would get one thing done at a time. Concerning the seat problem, if you think about it, what if you were in a bad crash (do not want this for anyone) but if the seat is obviously loose and rocking (what happens if the seat gives way in a crash and your seriously injured because of this). I don't think MB would like this at all especially if owners had complained continually about the problem. I hope that MB is looking at some of these problems.
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    See these Posts re: Lease rates etc...
    #1121; 1122, 1123, 1126, 1130, 1140, 1149

Residuals: (as of Jan. 2001)
    36 months = 70 %
    39 months = 68 %
    42 months = 66 %

If C 320s are "sitting" on the Dealer's Lot you "might" be able to get a little off MSRP.
    Better chance of having items included in your deal: 6 CD changer at cost, all weather mats, trunk tray, cargo nets etc...
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    I keep reading about rocking seats in the C. My understanding is that this may be part of the design.

There are two small coil springs at the lower rear of the front seats. These have given rise to squeaks in at least one press test vehicle (a French road test I've seen). Mercedes' press release at the introduction of the C Class (April 2000) mentions the existence of these mini-springs. If the rocking that you are experiencing is due to these springs, I doubt that anything can be done about it.

On the other hand, there is no safety issue related to the springs.
    According to Curt Rich, part of the reason why MB switched to Mobil 1 (besides the significantly improved low/high temperature protection) is because many US non-synthetic oils did not live up to their specifications, and MB had some engine sludging problems. Apparently the European specifications for non-synthetic oils are much tighter/tougher than over here in North America.

Drew
    Host
    All of your new C-classes have specially designed Bosch Platinum-tipped F8 DPER spark plugs. The following is from the press release, hence it is okay to post it in here. Unfortunately, the URL is too long for me to post.

"Successful original equipment application: Bosch Platinum Plugs for the new Mercedes C-Class and SLK 320

The Bosch spark plug F 8 DPER has been specifically designed for the Daimler-Chrysler SLK 320 and Mercedes C Class and is fitted to these models at the factory. It meets in an optimal way the special requirements of the Mercedes high-tech sports engines in view to ignitability, performance and elasticity as well as long life, maximal fuel utilization and protection of the catalytic converter.

The extruded central electrode and the pointed mass electrode are coated with the precious metal platinum, resulting in a significantly increased wear resistance. The optimized design of the mass electrode guarantees dependable performance and ensures that the fuel-air mixture is reliably ignited. This not only makes optimum use of the fuel being fed to the engine, but also provides even better protection for the catalytic converter even under extreme operating conditions such as stop-go traffic or over-enthusiastic starting."
  • deezknutsdeezknuts Member Posts: 4
    i don't think teleaid = lojack since i was told that they can only track you with teleaid when the car is on. lojack can track without the car being started.
  • ltedescoltedesco Member Posts: 5
    I check in from time to time on this board.... have a '99 230... changed the oil at 6000 and 13000 miles I now have 22,000 and I am scheduled for "B" service next week. My question is I thought you could not change to Mobil 1 after the car has had a couple of oil changes using regular oil?????? something to do with the oil seals. And how many miles between oil changes using Mobil 1.Thanks
    Oops, I forgot to mention that the above press release is from the Bosch website. Thanks Pat!

Drew
    Host
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Hey, that good news, I have Amica currently. If they give that discount, that means the TeleAid payes for itself really, just for the tracking feature.

Who says it only works when the car is running? Is that confirmed.

The main flaw with LoJack is that you need the police to track the vehicle. I've heard that LoJack works best when the crook parks the car is some residential area to let it "cool off" for 48 hours before driving it to the chop shop or to the port for shipment overseas. Then at least you have that time to get the police to track it.

How does it work with MB, do you call TeleAid and ask them "where's the car right now"? That sounds like a better system, then at least you could call the police and tell them "my car is here".
    Went for a 2 hour drive today in N.J. bright sunny beautiful day, 45 F. Love the C 240 6 speed more and more !! Friends are very very impressed and so am I. Brakes squealing just a little with light brake pedal pressure, but most of the time no noise at all. Hear the "Tick Tick" from the engine and my Salesman told me Mercedes uses something different than a "rocker" arm and that may be causing the tick tick. Seems to come and go, not that noticeable. I'll get the technical description from him and make a better note here.

Washed the front rims, removed the carbon brake dust and got on a coat of carnuba wax on the rims, which will make it much easier to wash off the carbon brake dust in the future. Need to be careful that the carbon dust does not adhere to the warm/hot aluminum rims, as it can virtually "bake on".

The Desert Silver (light Gold) / Charcoal interior is getting rave reviews here, even my neighbor with a Silver 2000 SLK 230 wants to get a new C Class now for next Fall.

The C 240 6 Speed is AWESOME!! and plenty of power on the Highway & hills in 5th gear and I am restricted on the Revs right now on the first 1000 miles break-in. Have not revved past 4500 so far. Simply an AMAZING automobile !!
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344

Hi everyone,

As to the seats rocking, several German car magazines have held this seat design with the two little springs under the back of the seat cushion against MB already. Most of the time, they consider the seat too "jumpy". A safety issue it isn't, since the only motion needing to be suppressed by the seat in an accident is the dive your lower body could possibly take under the seat belt. If the back end of the seat really drops, your body would only try to slide UP the tilted seat cushion, which is more than unlikely.

As to speed and power, all I say is wheeeeeeeeeee...

That should do for any domestic use...

Tarik

I was wondering where you disappeared to. I haven't seen your posts in a couple of weeks :-) Good to have you back.
    Glad you're enjoying the C240! Has the Subaru gone yet? Any pictures? :-)

FYI, the wheels are painted and clearcoated, which is why it is so easy to wash the brake dust off of them. No need to worry too much about the dust being baked on. Just try to wash it every 5-7 days, depending on how much you drive the car.
    Since 4-5 pm seems to be too early for the MB chat for many West coasters, how would 6-7pm Pacific on Tuesdays work out for all of you? Please let me know.

Drew
    Host
    6-7 Pacific time would be much better for me, but like I told you, I'll find a way to be there no matter what, even if I have to log on in my classroom right after school gets out. I've got a T1 connection in my room, but it's still not as fast as the @home cable connection! I would imagine that quite a few people out west would still be working at the earlier time.
    How many miles did you drive her this weekend? I can just imagine the huge smile on your face! We took ours out for two big drives this weekend ourselves, man do I love the feel of the car. Glad to hear all is going well! Hey, did you get my e-mail?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Hi Drew,

I am always here, like a software running in the background...

Unfortunately I still don't own an MB (psssst, don't tell), therefore I decided to keep quiet. Of course, when the chance came to show off the speedometer picture, I just couldn't resist...

Funny that my salesman in Germany still denies that there is going to be a 4matic C-Class, may be I should dump him as a source of information!

Birger, could you please find out about the price of a driver's side mirror glass for the ML (Convex, auto-dimming and heated)? the dealer in Germany quoted roughly $110 for the item, I wonder if it costs the same in Luxemburg.

Bragging Tarik
    That's a great photo Tarik ! that you took on the Autobahn, or I hope your passenger snapped...
    Even with my PNI SWS Detector, I know I will never get close to that MPH.

Subie is gone for Retail Sale, AutoHauler picked up today from MB Dealer.
    'Twas a good AWD !! but is the MB 6MT ever smooth, I've been roughin' it the past 3 years...

Sorry for the poor exposure (and the incorrect date stamp on Photo 1...LOL)>

• spndxspndx Member Posts: 36
    So, I see from reading "Long Weekend..." that some things never change. My '97 C230 creates brake dust like you wouldn't believe. I wash the front wheels at least every two weeks, regardless of weather (I live in the Northeast). At least on the '97 it sure looks like the dust 'bakes' on - the front wheel spoke holes have little black spots on them that are impossible to remove. Has anyone tried the disks that go between the brake assembly and the wheel? They allegedly keep the wheels clean. I wonder what the MB service department would say if they saw those on a vehicle.
    Will check my office email tomorrow a.m.
    The ride is incredibly SMOOTH !!! and so quiet inside. (again coming from a H-4 Boxer that was probably 110 DB...LOL). I've been telling friends about Tarik's story (I think it was his) where the MB he wanted to get by in the LH lane on the Autobahn just pressed the "Up Power Rear Sunshade" routine...I laugh every time I think about that....

I like starting off with the Engine Temp. display showing and once it reaches ~ 85 C I switch over to whatever else is entertaining...as it is a touch chilly here in the Tri State...
This discussion has been closed.