Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Yeah,

When the sunshade thing happened, I was ticked for a moment, then I realized that he was simply teaching me how to properly behave when piloting an MB... ...won't ever forgive him, though...

I took the picture on an "almost empty" Autobahn under sunny skies at -3.0 degrees Celsius (27F). The car felt as it was glued to the cold and sticky tarmac, no intent to act up at all. Brakes are more than adequate, too. Like I described before, upon my returen to ATL, the only available car at the airport was a Buick Regal, talk about shock!!!

Tarik
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Those are not recommended because they can warp the brake rotors due to heat buildup. The brake dust issue affects all German vehicles, VWs, BMWs, Audis, MBzs alike. The reason is that the German TUV requires a certain (high) percentage of graphite, I think, in the pads. The pads are also relatively soft compared to domestic vehicles. The end result is superior heat distribution under hard/high speed braking situations (such as from the speed Tarik was driving ;-)), and less rotor wear in exchange for higher brake pad wear.

FYI, your C-class doesn't have painted or clearcoated wheels, but I think you figured that out by now.
    Your comments are always welcome :-) Even though you're not a MB owner, you're clearly a MB enthusiast, and that's good enough! I hope that you will supplement that Dodge Charger with a MB in the near future though. Heh heh...

Your dealer still denies the 4-matic option? That's funny considering that MB Canada already formally acknowledges that the C240 4-matic sedan, as well as the C320 4-matic sedan and wagon will make their way to Canada in late fall of 2002 (I really hope they made a mistake and mean 2001, but who knows).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I posted your pic, hope you don't mind, at the MBWorld forum back in Dec. when you first posted it here. Everybody said it was fake!! But I defended your honor!!! I believe the US Cs are limited to 135mph, aren't they? If not what is the speed limiter set at? I've had our C up to 120 on I8 east of San Diego, it was still pulling hard and felt like she'd hit 145 if I wanted to. You have any more good autobahn stories? I'll have to take European delivery next time. The only problem is the break-in issue. I'd be hard pressed not to really open my E55, let me dream will you!!, while on those roads! If I were to go to Europe, what types of MBs can be commonly rented?
    Thanks for the kind words, I will try to get "the job done" in the near future, my Challanger really needs an adequate partner in the garage.

The dealer also stated that they "have heard about isolated issues" concerning brake squeal, not quite the truth, I'm afraid.

Auto, Motor und Sport reports the following re 4-matic:

- C-Class models to be had with AWD in 2002 (in Germany)
    - S-Class will not only get 4-matic with the new release in 2006, but already in late 2002 for the 2003 facelift, requiring a completely new front axle
    - all upcoming new MB models will be available with optional 4-matic

It sounds like the dealer is hedging...

Tarik
    You're most welcome. The RX is not considered an adequate partner? ;-) You need a C32 or a CLK55 Cabrio! Funny thing is that both will be DaimlerChrysler. :-)

The S-class is getting a facelift for '03? That's news to me! Do you know why or what will be done? I do recall them saying that the new 4-matic system is revised from the current one for better efficiency, modular construction, and lighter weight.

BTW, I just found out recently that one of the optional pay channels in my area (Deutsche TV; cable TV) airs "Auto Motor und Sport TV" several times a week. I don't have that channel, and in order to get it, I'll have to get new hardware for the digital cable. Grrr...I'll settle for MotorVision :-) Which reminds me, if you didn't catch it this weekend, definitely catch it on Wed at 4pm Pacific. Lots of interesting things, as usual!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Drew,

Don't get me started on the RX, I never wanted it to begin with. Why would both of your recommendations be MBs, hmm, let me think ;->

The S-class facelift was a new one for me, too, but no further info was available. And yes, the newly revised 4-matic system will be based on ETS, making it somewhat similar to the ML's system, I guess (?).

"Auto Motor und Sport TV" seems to be an interesting show, but I did not get to watch it so far. MotorVision airs at very inconvenient times for me, may be I should finally read the instructions of the VCR after all...

Bye now,

Tarik
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    6-7PM PDT would be fine for me for the Tuesday chat. As to the break dust, My Volvo put out as much, if not more, than my C320 does. Plus the Volvo wheels were MUCH harder to clean.
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    With regards to those plates that fit between the wheel and the brakes to control brake dust, I WOULD NOT recommend you use those as they may cause the rotors to get too hot and cause damage that your warranty won't cover. DEFINITELY call MB before you install them. I found this out the hard way when I owned a Porsche and installed them on that car. Ask before you install and if MB says it OK, I'd ask for their approval in writing.
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    Here are my observations after 1300 miles with my C320 (C1, c2, c3, c4, leather, xenon, COMMAND, K2a)
    1. First time MB owner and the car is performing wonderfully.
    2. Its bright silver with ash interior. It has 3 coats of Zaino and, boy, does it look good!
    3. Voice control for phone, radio and CD is tremendous...and SAFE. Seemed frivolous at the time but the more I use it, the more I feel it should be standard equipment. The phone is not worth the 2 grand but the safety in using it along with the other components by voice command makes it definitely a worthwhile investment. I NEVER have to take my eyes off the road.
    4. Fit and finish is what I expected from MB.
    5. Smooth acceleration off the start, no lag or pause. Excellent performance, especially when I shift thru the gears with the automatic transmission!
    6. No squealing breaks
    7. I like the contoured driver's seat and have NO problems with the springs etc.
    8. Tele-aid works as advertised. My VIN# in is the 64000's.
    9. Xenon lights are incredible. Can't wait until both low and high beams are approved for use in the USA.

Issues:
    1. I wished there was an option to have the contoured seat for the passenger as well as the driver's seat. This is an option in other models.
    2. Should have saved the $$ and not gotten full leather. Not really worth it.
    3. Have not found any occassion to use the split rear seat. I would not order this option again.
    4. I wish the gas tank were 18 or 20 gallons instead of 16+.
    5. After seeing the photos of the C32(AMG) and the performance numbers on that version of C class car due in the USA in the fall, all I can say is ....I want a C32! I can not imagine 349 horsepower in this car. And at a base price of $56K (est)!
    I just now relized that one of yesterday's posts obviously didn't make it to the board... ...and it was a funny one, too...

Anyways, the speedometer picture is for real, and what fun it was! May be I should tape the digicam to a headrest and run it in video mode next time around...

Higher-power MBs are governed at 155 mph, the 240 is not, I believe. Mine read 155 at 6000 rpm, but on a downhill stretch only. That's why it only has a rev limiter and is not governed by top speed. Those speedometer readings are a bit on the high side, I even did close to 170 mph on the speedo in a 500 SL years ago, although it is supposedly governed.

Why don't we do Euro-delivery together and clock a few (quick and fun) miles? Almost every car you can imagine is for rent in Germany, with the only limitation being your wallet (outch!). Porsches are very popular at airport locations, and if you choose a Carrera 4, you don't even need to be afraid of any unforced "trips into the weeds". It is a very forgiving and car without a limiter and a high fun factor!

Tarik
    What do you think of the whole break-in issue on taking Euro delivery? I just don't know if I could buy a new Benz and then drive it around keeping the speeds under 70! MY wife works for a big international tour company and we've been talking about going to Europe, if so we'll most likely go the rental route, that way no break-in issue!
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    I've had my E-class for two months and have yet to see any brake dust buildup. My wheels are chrome, which I waxed on the first week. It may be that the combination of chrome, wax, and weekly washings (weather permitting) inhibits the buildup.

Jack
    Bill,

I share your concern. Although modern car's engines do not really need any break-in time (according to R&D engineers I know), nowadays it would break my heart to see the tach pass 4000 or 4500 rpm before the first 1000 mls and an oil change.

However, I my younger years (!), I bought a brand new FIAT TIPO with a 1.6l/90hp engine and broke it in at my usual Autobahn speeds. The engine ran extremely well without any measurable oil consumption, and died only after mechanics had misaligned the valves at the 100,000 km service (exhaust valve broke, fell in combustion chamber, caused UGLY chain reaction, made me mad at dealer, he paid half of new engine, me happy)

As I pointed out in my missing post (grrr), do Euro delivery, have a little fun with your new baby, drop her off (the car...) to ship to the US, then get a rental and enjoy the fun while it lasts. This is a very elegant way to get around the temptation and still have a good time.

However, women usually do not even remotely enjoy high(er) speeds as much as men, don't forget that! My wife takes all the fun out of wheeeeeeeeee, as she constantly makes me stay below 130 mph . Pah, what does she know about male rituals...

Tarik
  • hoppyenghoppyeng Member Posts: 25
    Ward's Auto World rated the Mercedes 3.2 liter engine one of the best engines for 2001. Check the following web page.

http://www.wardsauto.com/be2001/
    Actually the MB 3.2L V6 has been on Ward's list since 1997!
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Soon enough (if not already), Mintex will make brake pads for this car. They are good, and less dusty then the OEM Euro pads.

What exactly is the countour seat and what additional adjustments does it provide over the "normal" 10 way power seat? Is it just an adjustable lumbar support?
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    Nyca, this option allows extension of the seat cushion, side bolsters, as well as upper and lower lumbar back supports.

Jack
  • deezknutsdeezknuts Member Posts: 4
    nyca, you are misinformed. call 1800 for mercedes and ask if you don't believe me. it can only be located if the car is on or if the key is in the ignition.

THEREFORE, teleaid is NOT equal to Lojack.
  • mike348mike348 Member Posts: 9
    I test drove the C-Class this weekend. Seemed to have a lot of problems merging with this car. The mirrors seem low on the door and the pillar blocks peripheral vision. Is it just me?

Other Irritants: The light switch has mold flash right where your fingers touch it, There was wind whistle at 50mph and above, The door pull looked like they forgot to give it soft feel and texture. Maybe my quality expectations are too high for M-B?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    deezknuts:
    Yes, it is not on all the time. However, thieves have figured out what to do w/ Lojack. Here in MA (as told to me by an alarm guy who does work for our state police when I was trying to figure out if it was worth putting Lojack on my ML), the thieves do one of these things:
    1) leave it in an area to see if it has Lojack
    2) they figure they have at least an hour, so they rip out as much stuff as possible, then do (1)
    3) drive down to RI or up to NH (can't remember the states, but the borders are roughly an hour away)
    You get the idea. Lojack is not everywhere and they are switching to GPS w/ their next version because their triangulation method is not accurate enough. He also said that the MB immobilizer key is enough to not warrant putting additional alarm systems on.

TeleAid, even in its current form, will qualify you for the "Lojack discount" at most insurance companies if you explain how it works.
    The 4-matic system in the E-classes right now is also ETS based, just like the ML. I assume that this will stay for the upcoming 4-matic systems for the C, CLK, and S-class.

You post more frequently in this topic than in the RX topic, so I assume you're a MB enthusiast ;-) I suggested the C32 since you drive a muscle car, and seem to like the horsepower. Besides, you're already familiar with the C and its high speed capabilities :-) I forgot to ask, how was the noise level in the car at that speed? Does it live up to its wind cheating drag co-efficient numbers?

Yes, learn how to use the VCR pronto! :-)
  • raylauburaylaubu Member Posts: 15
    I am in Boston, MA. Planning to get a C240 with C1,2,3, automatic transmission, and command system. MSRP comes out to 37,520.

Do you guys know if this price is negotiable, if so how low can they go? or is the hype still to high to get any discount?

If it is negotiable, which dealer around New England area offers good discount?

Also for all those who are driving a C240 now: How is it running? Any problems?
    Does it have adequate power?

Thank you all very much for all you feedback and inputs =)
    OK, this means that the upcoming 4-matic models will basically "just" inherit the already existing (and proven) AWD - cool, saves the engineers a lot of work.

As I mentioned before, the first 12 years of my life I spent in Stuttgart, therefore I have always been exposed to MBs on the road and in my parent's garage. The RX topic has been boring until recently, but TC seems to have brought a little life back.

Cars cannot have enough power (yeah!), thus I would spring for pretty much any AMG model. The M5 was always impressive, but the latest version's exterior is "too much in your face" for me. Its predecessor is still a heck of a ride (I did many miles in it), and a '92 Alpina B10 (3.5l I-6 with twin turbos/360hp) I got to drive years ago wasn't bad (!) either.

But ultimately, the subtle appearance and unrivaled combination of sport and luxury of a C32/E55 and the likes has always been my cup of tea. I guess I should just accept my fate and dump the precision-made (and NOT trouble-free) but boring RX and start to get a real life!

Concerning your question re noise level, I must say that even at higher speeds the C is a marvel. The engine emits just enough db to be noticeable, wind noise is more than adequate, IMHO.

Congratulations to all C-Class owners (and all those who are awaiting delivery), your decision was definitely a winner!

Do I sound like a lost son who just found his way back home...?

Anyways, good night

Tarik
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    I know this isn't appropriate to post something about S55 AMG, but..... I had to after riding for about two hours (more like recklessly driving around in NJ tonight) with my friend. We were cruising on RT 4 and RT 17, and back to Manhattan. If any of guys in NJ saw S55 AMG, driving like a crazy tonight.... that was us...
    (I think my friend leased this from the Prestige dealer in NJ. Don't ask me about the leasing details because I didn't ask him about it. Why? I was having too much fun with it). What a difference money can make!!!
    I gotta admit that it's the driving machine. Maybe I should test-drive some of competitive models, but after tonight I know this much that my 2000 C 230 K riding experience is never going to be the same again. However, am I unhappy that I have C instead of S AMG??? Heck, NO!! I still LOVE my C. I know everyone here shares the same feeling with me….

BUT I WANT THAT AMG, TOO!!! (a little boy inside of me shouting out of jealousy)
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    regarding your post about negotiations, I would like to say, if you are lucky to have CAR sitting on there LOT due to cancellation, you have an edge to negotiate - my dealer called me and said they have one cancellation for Silver c240 with C2 and C4, Auto T., and he gave me MSRP; I told him I am not really wanted C4 and would not like to pay for it - his out of door price for above options is $ 36.702; I offered him $35,000 out of door and he told me he will get back to me, what I presume is he will try selling that car to others on his list and if everybody turned down for some reason like Color or package preferences, I am sure he will offer that car to me, please note dealers get this CAR below Invoice at the first place and there is a Holding cost or dealer Hold back which MB pays to dealer to have the car on their LOT for 3 months; if car is not sitting at all on there LOT all that money goes to them as profit, so I would assume that taking off few thousands dollars doesn't hurt them ; of cource these are my views, you should ask EXPERTS who already been to this process and driving best piece of work from MB
    ralaubu:
    Look up Jerry Pillari at Clair Motors and tell him I sent you. He's an honest salesman (yep, believe it or not). He's their Autobytel dealer. They used to offer free Lojacks to the Autobytel customers but there may be something else now that TeleAid makes Lojack a little redundant.

benz747:
    You should also be aware of what the holdbacks/margins are if you want to negotiate. Holdback is supposed to be 3%. Margin is only 7% (used to be 14% in pre-2000 model years). There isn't that much profit any more. The salesfolks got their income cut in half.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I don't think we should be weeping for the dealers or salespeople at all. If holdback is 3% (of invoice I assume) then each order is already at least about $1000 in profit. Add to that the 7% or so profit margin they get for us paying them MSRP and you've got another couple of thousand right there. Plus I suspect that the extended warranties must add some $$$ to the dealer's pocket otherwise they wouldn't try to sell them so hard. And then of course if you finance or lease via the dealer they make even more off of that. All of that money for really very little work from most of us. The car basically sells itself for the most part. All the salesman has to do is write up the order and keep track of things. Maybe some of you guys were a harder sell than me, but I think for most of us it was a question of wanting the car and finding a person to take our order. Or maybe I should just speak for myself. :-) And of course after my negative experience I'm not willing to cut my dealer any slack.
    Jerry mentioned that MB requires them to tell us about it; no pushing and no pressure from him to get it though. He just told me what it covered and when I would have to buy it if I wanted it. It does have a lot of profit built into it :-)
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    The MB dealer holdback is based on total MSRP. I believe it is 3%.
    I am agree this CAR sells by itself, about my self this will be my first MB - I have seen couple of posts claiming to get something off MSRP but on C 320 though, my thinking is that due to slowing economy delears are expected to have lot of cancellation otherwise they wouldn't have call me at first place because what they told me couple of months back is to put $ 500 down and be on their list to get a priority over others when some cancellations takes place, and I refused that becoz I was dealing with two diffrenet dealers - is that mean that the CAR he offered me without being on a waiting list has been refused by others or this dealer is extra nice to me :) LOL does anybody have some thoughts !!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I purchased two warranties from other than my dealer. I purchased one for my 00CLK430 cab from a dealer via the internet for $1900 and one for my 00ML430 from another dealer in CA via the internet again, for $1575. Both times my dealer wanted $2500.00. Both warranties are the 4yr/50K Mercedes premium warranty. I hve since sent a dozen or so people to the CA dealer for the warranties.
    BTW, has aanyone heard when the new C class 4matic wagon will arrive in the US for sale. Will they offer this option in a sedan?
  • mwilmemwilme Member Posts: 8
    Re Msg 1375.

Go to the Clair Motors web site, they quote prices up-front on in stock vehicles. If you're lucky then Bingo, exact match, otherwise it's a good starting point.

http://www.clair.com/clair.html

• raylauburaylaubu Member Posts: 15
    First of all, I would like to thank you all for you responses and information.

I did some homework last night on C240. I found out that C240 with C1,2,3, automatic, command system, and metallic paint comes to $34939 invoice and $37520 msrp. MB also has a 3% holdback on the MSRP, which comes to 1125.60 holdback.

Therefore, the cost will be $33813.40 (without calculating any dealer incentive that they get- because I couldn't find information about it)

So what do you guys think is a good price?
  • pauls6pauls6 Member Posts: 7
    After I called the salesman a few days ago about the missing teleaid feature I get a message today from my salesman saying that there will be no retrofit for the vins before 56000. I am, to say the least, a little pissed that I had to hear it this way. Any thoughts? Has anyone anymore info on this Teleaid remote unlocking feature?
    Paul
  • jonoratojonorato Member Posts: 22
    You have GOT to get some money from them, or a cool new accessory you want, for THAT. That's out-and-out misrepresentation of what you received v. what you BOUGHT.

Yikes.

Mine should be built next week. It had better work OK, pretty much across the board.
    ...the gumption and resources to do it, but you can bet MB will have someone monitoring boards like this fulltime after someone successfully sues them using these boards as ammo.

As in, "You (MB) should damn WELL have known about these problems! Everyone else in the world (who cared) did!"
    ...and is only a matter of cost.

Jeez!
  • richardjenkinsrichardjenkins Member Posts: 20
    Hello all - been off the 'net recently due to foreign travel and family business, but:

Has anyone purchasing a new C have any thoughts on comparisons with their old C vis a vis performance?

I would specifically like to know objective differences, if any, between a 99 C280 and a 2001 C320 in terms of:

- 0-60 time
    - 1/4 mile elapsed time and speed
    - braking distance 70-0
    - skidpad G
    - slalom course

Anyone know of reliable mag reviews (magazine/year/month) for C280 and C320 that might have the above data?

Also, subjectively, seat of the pants reviews from owners of both cars as to throttle response, manumatic gearbox shifting, and handling/roadholding comparisons...

Thoughts anyone?

thanks...richard
    I don't think it's going to happen, unless you buy a demo. I'd be pretty surprised if you could even get 1k off of MSRP. I too have heard all about the 3% holdback, but you'll be surprised when you mention it at a dealer, they'll likely let you walk and just sell the car to the next guy. Holdback is pretty much sacred $ to dealers, they ain't gonna let you have it unless it's some dog model that isn't moving, and there's not an MB that fits that catagory. Mention holdbacks at a domestic dealer trying to sell their 300th car of the month and you might get it, but not at MB. If you mention it around other customers, I bet you'll be snubbed by the sales people. I know I've talked a bunch, but wheeling and dealing at highend dealers just isn't how they do business. I bet if you offer anything less than $1k under MSRP you'll be laughed out of the place. But who knows, leave your name and number and you might get a phone call on the last day of the month for a 1 day only cash deal. Let us know how it goes, I'll be very interested! I could be way wrong, it's been known to happen LOL!!!
    What dealer in CA were you able to get the cheap 4yr premium warranty? I had decided to skip the $2500 and just invest it for 4 years and turn it into $4-5k. I really doubt that any of us will spend over $4k on our cars from mile 50k-100k, BUT if I could get the coverage for $1500 I'd have to rconsider. Give us the details!! Thanks

Awfully quiet around here! Where is everybody?
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    According to Post # 1329, Tele Aid will be fixed for VINs 59000 and earlier. Fix due out between March and June 2001.
    dennett:
    The dealer is letting members of the M-class mailing list have a discount off the warrantee (their service manager is on our list and he's the one who actually got it for us because we help keep him up to date on problems/solutions w/ the ML and vice-versa). I'm not sure if it applies to other MB models. If you do get it from them, please don't broadcast it to all the dealers. Someone did that to their dealer ("hey, I can get the warrantee for xx from yy") and that dealer went on a weird vendetta to piss off the discounting dealer (called regional rep, threatened to take away all their business, harrassing calls, etc.).
    I know this is not 100 % accurate, but here's the latest:

Links may be easier to view & print:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1508702&a=11393668&p=41702364

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1508702&a=11393668&p=41703438

• sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    dennett
    Ditto to what kenyee said. That is why I did not post it. Go to my profile and E-mail me and I will pass along the information.
    Also, for any of you that do not have HID and would like an improvement in their night vision, www.fosmo.com, in the UK, has Philips H-7 Visionplus low beam bulbs and H-1 highbeam bulbs available, less than $50 USD delivered. These have been rated the best via an independant comparison test.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    Are these bulbs "legal" in the US? I take it they're not xenon and don't need the lamp washers and levelers and all of that stuff...
  • donsturdydonsturdy Member Posts: 4
    Have found that as soon as you mention discount the sales person becomes indigent. I visited dealership in Florida who wouldn't even give a shirt. Is there anyone who has had a positive experience with any Florida dealerships. Also has anyone purchased the muti-contour seat.
    Ian,

please correct your database, I don't have MB yet, secondly the CAR I am looking is not C320 but C 240 with C2 and Automatic Transmission

thanks in advance
    benz
This discussion has been closed.