Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• lynnandoblynnandob Member Posts: 2
    I just received my c320. I love it. no problems except for the brakes squeak. I know others have had this problem. What is the solution? My sales guy says when the car sits for awhile a thin layer of rust builds on the brakes. The noise is that layer being removed. My question why do these brakes squeak and my honda doesn't?
  • louie57louie57 Member Posts: 10
    Brought my car in last week for service with mixed results. 1. The CD player had not been secured in the glove box and this was done successfully. 2 There was a rattle at 110 - 120 km/h in the plastic housing around the map lights. They fixed this by placing some kind of felt gasket under it. It worked. 3. Squeaky noise under drivers seat cushion....they said they tightened all the nuts and bolts uner there and lubricated the seat track. The squeak is still there! I know it is coming from the seat because it stops when the passanger places their hand under my seat cushion and applies pressure upwards. Has anyone had a similar problem that can offer me any suggestions? 4. Stearing wheel not aligned at 12 noon while driving straight (@ 11:55) the service advisor forgot to get this looked at. He advised me however that they would need to redo the alignment and that perhaps I should wait to get it done since alignment is only done once for free under warranty? I noticed this problem the day I picked the car up. Don't see why that should be held against me. I should have brought it back right away. He said the reason they only do it once under wrranty is that alignment can be thrown off by driving over a bump. Perhaps, but this was not my case. 5. My car came with original equipment (OE) Good Year tires. I was told OE tires do not have roadhazard warranty coverage. I called Good Year and they told me I could purchase the Roadhazard coverage from one of their dealers. The dealer inspected and measured for tire wear, none yet, and I bought their Platinum plan for $9.50 for each of my five tires. This covers free repair of flats, prorated tire afjustment if it cannot be repaired and tire rotation every 10,000 km. I thought it was worth it. I was surprised to learn that the replacement list price of each tire is $325. I thought it was worth it just for the free tire rotation. Any comments appreciated.
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    MB will rotate your tires free every 5,000 miles!
  • lepinlepin Member Posts: 13
    Hi! Also new to this forum. I will pick up my car next week. My C320 is silver/blk with C2 C4 Xen and full leather. Full MSRP but free CD changer.
    Thanks for any info!
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    mbfan:
    Where is the free tire rotation documented? I don't remember reading it in the manual.
  • semerrilsemerril Member Posts: 12
    Louie57...I too had a squeaking drivers seat. It drove me crazy, squeaking every time I went over a bump. I took it in to my dealer, and they tightened everything up, and after driving away, 2 miles down the road, it was still squeaking. I made another appointment to get it and my also squeaking brakes fixed, but before I brought it in, I changed the tension on the seat, from soft to hard, and miraculously, the squeak went away. A couple days later, I changed the tension back to reasonably soft, and the squeak stayed away. Why that worked, I have no idea, but it did, and I'd give it a shot. And on the good news front, on the 3rd attempt, my dealer got it right and my brake squeal has vanished as well.
  • anthonyv1anthonyv1 Member Posts: 26
    Try this link if you're interested in a clear bra for your car.

http://www.xpel.com/paint/applications.html

• 4murphy4murphy Member Posts: 20
    The squealing brakes on my C240 seem to be fixed after the fifth attempt. They have not squealed in three weeks after the last major repair. I posted a while ago the information regarding the fix.If anyone would like to see the repair orders just send me an e-mail at smsdas@aol.com.

I noticed today that I have acquired an additional 5 paint chips on the hood to go with 3 that I found earlier. My wife has been driving the car from Ypsilanti to Ann Arbor, Michigan which is 8 miles on local streets.

I bought some touch up paint from the dealer and attempted to do some repair work. Well, it just doesn't look right. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the touch up, or should I just take it to a body shop and see what they can do?

I am completely disgusted with the piece of junk that I bought from Mercedes. I know that some of you are in love with the new C class and I am happy for you. I am going over to Car and Driver magazine this week to see if they know why the paint is chipping so easily. Maybe they will take some pictures for the magazine.
  • anthonyv1anthonyv1 Member Posts: 26
    Stanley, Sorry to hear of your disgust with the paint. I just looked at the C today at a local dealership, and the paint I like is the Tectite grey, which is a thousand dollar option (I think). I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that and have the stuff chipping off on me. This seems to be a serious problem, and MB should be trying to handle it. Maybe they should put the clear bras on in the factory (after all, why should we have to pay for their mistake). Maybe we can organize a link with photos of everyone's paint chips so that MB can get a load of that and start dealing with the problem instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

For those on the board with a little more technical experience, would that be difficult to do? It seems like a good way to give your fellow owners leverage at the dealerships.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The reason why the paint chips easier nowadays is because MB is using environmentally friendly paint on their vehicles. They've actually used it for several years now (and have had more experience with it) and are continuously tweaking the formula for better performance. All auto manufacturers are now using similar environmentally paints, and I'm afraid they're all succeptible to the same problem.

As for tips WRT touching up paint, here are a few tips (use them at your own risk :-)). What I do is gently clean the affected area with some rubbing alcohol. Next take the touchup paint stick, shake it well, and dip a toothpick into the paint (not too much though). Start from the middle of the chip, and then spread it out towards the edges. Let it dry, and then repeat the same. I recommend multiple thin coats until the entire chip is filled up. The paint may bump up a little from the surrounding (unchipped areas) when dry, but over a short time with you washing yoru car that will naturally flatten out.

The clearcoat step is optional, IMHO. I actually don't even use it since I don't have any large chips. For your larger chips though, you can carefully apply it using the same steps as the paint. If the chip is large enough that the toothpick is inadequate, a fine art brush is what you should use since it is far more precise than the brush included with the paint stick. Start from the middle and work your way out, as before.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    Drew,

I have a Black C320, 1681 miles, and the chips keep coming and coming. I have looked on the E-class forum and have not been able to find any posts with chip complaints. Perhaps, they are there and I missed them.

If there are no chip complaints on the E-class forum and so many on the C-class, is it possible that Mercedes uses a different paint process on the C-class to cut costs?

My chips are on the doors and bumper. I do not drive rough streets and have not yet heard a rock hit the car while driving. These chips are large enough to have been from a good size stone.
    If you think it's a "piece of junk", you should consider selling it now since demand is still hot for the new C. That's one alternative for you to sleep better...
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...this has been my experience after owning American cars (GM), Japanese (Honda and Acura) and now a 2000 C230. I have owned white (non-metallic, including the C), dark blue (metallic), metallic black, and silver-beige metallic (similar to smoke/desert silver). In my experience, the darker the color, the greater the chipping--and metallic will chip more than non-metallic. More than once, paint repair people have told me that the darker the color, the higher the pigment content--and because the pigment is "hard" and will therefore "give" less, you end up with more stone chips. (I would think that metallic would produce similar results). I do know that the metallic black did chip the most, and the white the least.... I ordered white on the C because I thought the car looked good in it (this, is, of course, in the eye of the beholder), and because I think white is, on balance, the easiest color to keep looking "good" (although silver is a close second). As far as maintaining the "shine", the one negative with white is road tar. One other benefit...if you (God forbid) have major repair work to do--white is probably the easiest color to match (this does NOT apply to metallic/pearl white). Just my 2 pfennigs (sp?) Sorry to hear about the chipping, guys--in over 4000 miles I have NO chips on the front of my car--that will change, of course! Good luck!
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Everyone uses water based paints now, so the chipping can't just be attributed to that. For posters to complain that their paint chips, but that no rocks or gravel is hitting their car, would mean their paint job is defective. There seems to be a dislike of traditional bras in this forum. Is it that people just don't like the fact that they are black? Maybe we could get speedlingerie to make an MB bra, since they color match.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I've had a White C320 since Oct 14th. I went over it VERY carefully while washing it last weekend and noted that it does not have even one small chip, anywhere. I was thinking to myself, "Is this because it is white, or is it because I did have the protective coating put on before taking delivery." I don't know the answer (maybe it's a little of both?) but in thinking back, I recall that my 13-year old Volvo which had a been Diamond Shielded, also never had any chips. btw -- I do drive my car every day.
    Sherrill
  • tarunntarunn Member Posts: 8
    Most of the detailers I've talked to say that bras actually ruin your finish as they trap dirt underneath and grind it in.
    tarunn:
    That's why invisible bras are great. I've gotten sanded so many times this year just when you really need a bra and you're not supposed to have one of those black ones on. The damage would be a lot worse w/o the invisible bra. The negative is the cost :-P
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    It's a myth, a quality bra like a Colgan, will not scratch the car. A hood bra is very easy to remove when washing the car and washes quickly. If you don't like them because of the color, that's another thing. That clear bra someone recommended seems like a semi-permanent installation, it doesn't come on and off. It appears you wash and wax right over it. I question how long that install will last.
    Uh, I think that no matter how good the car bra may be, it still traps dirt underneath and that will produce a sanding effect on the paint over time. The effect is exacerbated when it rains/snows.

The 3M invisible bra is a permanent installation (but it can be removed if absolutely necessary). The Scotchcal material was actually intially developed for protect the paint on helicopters, so it's quite durable. It should last for several years at least. The specs on the material can be seen here:
    http://www.xpel.com/paint/scotchal.html

Drew
    Host
  • deezknutsdeezknuts Member Posts: 4
    maybe he's embarrassed that he has a 240 instead of a 320??? in a another forum, i read that debagging usually is done when you don't want people to know what you have because you have a lower version.
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    First MB C Class Weekly Chat!
    Mercedes Benz Owners JOIN US every Tuesday evening 6-7pmPT/9-10pmET to Chat!

320s, 240s, 240 6MTs, Sport, All C's come out to the First MB Weekly Chat.
    It should definitely be a lively session !!
    Post your Photos, pics, snaps in the Gallery section.
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    I'll be there for sure :-) Looking forward to chatting with many of you live!

Drew
    Host
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I'll absolutely be there!! I was very excited to see the link at the of this page when I logged on today! It'll really be great to communicate with many of the regulars here, newbies too!!

Debadging, interesting idea. I agree that some people with lesser models frequently do this, makes no sense what-so-ever to me! People who notice badging tend to be car nuts who can tell the difference between different models, people who can't don't care about badges anyway! There is another group however that goes for debadging, the people who buy the most expensive/fastest models. That way no one knows what model they're up against in the stop light drag. Or, they don't want their clients to know they're in a $50-100k vehicle. That's a cool concept, although if I had a C32, I'd want the badging on! In a CLK forum I frequently lurk in they were recently discussing this very issue. They were totally against people debadging lesser cars because when those cars get dusted, the competition thinks they just smoked a CLK55 when it really was a CLK430 sport. So I'd say don't do it unless your removing your C320 badge. Just my opinion though, you guys do whatever you want!!!
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    I'm thinking the interested party wanted to take off the dealer decal. I have noticed in my area that one of the MB dealers buts one on but the other does not. When I purchase a new car this is one of the first things I take off! Some of them can be very ugly.
    Looking forward to chat with some of you tomorrow!

Greg@thedailydonut.com
    or option #3: because the letters are a PITA to wax around :-)
    Dirt seems to accumulate around them. It's truly annoying.
    But the darn grooves down the side are worse to wax and wash than the Badges! Also the groove under the black trim below the windows. All are minor issues, and if anybody wants to pull off their badges it's their car and they can do whatever they want, right? Take easy, I'll be looking forward to talking with you tomorrow! You too, Greg! With the new Edmunds chat format you have to have your TH name as your chat name, so it'll be no problem figuring out who you're chatting with. Hopefully everyone here won't say I talk/post too much!!!
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    My dealer in Raleigh told us at the new owners orientation that they would provide free tire rotation every 5K miles. They said it is not well known but all I needed to do was make an appointment and bring it in.

It may be something that the dealer does above and beyond the MB program.

I will try and check this out before the chat tomorrow night!
    dennett:
    What do you mean by grooves down the side? Do you mean the area under the rub strip?
    I do tend to leave some wax under that, but Zaino doesn't dry very white, so it's not obvious. The dirt around my model badge is a dark color and my ML is silver, so it's very noticable.
    Plus the rub strips on the both bumpers. On my red C when I wash the car I have to really dry those grooves or I have big water spots along them. Are you the one who wants to remove the badges? If so, like I said, if you want to take them off you go ahead, it's your car! If waxing around the badges is a problem then I'd say that'd be a reasonable reason to pull them off.
    Removing the model badge is on my list of stuff to do, but I think you guys were talking about someone else ;-)
    Yes, the area around the rub strips is a pain to wax around as well. It's funny that one of our list members wanted to take the 0 off so he could have an ML32. I thought that was...er..different. But it's his car and he just wanted to know how to do it. :-)
    Please join us in our inaural MB Tuesdays chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific. All MB owners and fans/enthusiasts are welcome to drop by. Don't miss it, it should be great!

Click on the link below to get to the chat:
    /direct/view/.eea6e59

Drew
    Host
    I mispelt "inaugural", sorry!
    Hope the Edmunds server can handle the Load !! LOL
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I am at work now so I don't have my owner's manual. I remember reading that there is a way to have the lights come on when the windshield wiper switch is activated. Can someone tell me how this feature can be activated? Thanks!!
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    A few weeks back there was an exchange of posts on this list regarding the demise of the Canada-US Auto Pact and the possibility that the CDN 6.1% import duty would becoming off cars built in Europe as a result. This is to report that the CDN government has written to me to say that the duty is remaining in place. Therefore Mercedes-Benz prices will not be coming down. :-(
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    where can I buy an extra magazine for the cd changer model number MC3198 and for how much?
    Just a reminder that the MB chat starts in about 20 minutes. See you there:

/direct/view/.eea6e59
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    One of my relatives just purchased a brand new 2001 Cadillac Seville STS. The car is loaded and has just about every feature available. Sticker price was $56,500.

I took it for a test drive and noticed the breaks were squeaking. I asked if they heard the noise before. Yes, It happened immediately after taking delivery. They drove the car back to the dealership wondering if everything was ok.

The dealership checked it out and told them it was "normal". Breaks have a glazing on them from the factory. It sometimes causes a squeaking noise. They were told it would go away after a few months. The dealership offered to remove the glazing manually, but it would take a day in the shop. They decided to let nature take it course.

MB isn't the only manufacture with break issues. Personnaly, the break noise was a non-issue for me. If someone points a finger at you becuase your breaks make a noise during the first 2 months, tell them to bug off!

-E
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    was nice seeing you all there tonight!

zmeenow
    I could not read fast enough, let alone type.
    I wonder if it will evolve into dedicated Class Chats: E and C etc ?...
    It really was fun wasn't it! It did get a bit crowded, but it's great to C so many people so enthusiastic about their cars and MB.
    Thanks for dropping by everyone, and making our first ever MB Tuesdays chat so successful. I learnt a few things tonight, most notably about the MB phones and voice recognition. I hate to say it, but there will probably be fewer people next week, so I don't think we will be splitting it apart for now.

Hope to see you all again on Friday in the Fridays Freeways chat, or in next week's Edmunds.com Editors and MB chats.

Drew
    Host
  • donsturdydonsturdy Member Posts: 4
    Interested in knowing if the paint chip issue continues and what colors are more prone to chipping then others. Also how are the dealers handling this problem.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    I had friends of Mercedes dealers and car brokers check around to find out more about the chipping. Among this group, none has heard of any problems with chipping on the C320. If I had not seen the posts on this news group, I would have thought I was the only one with the problem.

I am trying to follow the advice given in message #1613 re the darker the color, the more the chipping; and that metallic chips more than non-metallic. 'Tis not easy given majority of color choices are either dark or metallic.

What do I choose? In the eyes of this beholder, the color favorites are dark or dark and metallic. This leaves the light colors Desert Silver and Brilliant Silver, both of which are metallic, and white, which just won't do. I saw a Bordeaux Red, which appears to be a medium shade color, in the show room, and although not my favorite, it looked pretty --but it is metallic -- Desert Silver is not too bad but metallic -- Brilliant Silver is just too popular and is metallic :)

Would Bordeaux Red metallic be better than straight Black or Obsidian? Would Desert Silver metallic be better than Bordeaux Red metallic?

In the past, I have always liked and enjoyed my black cars without problems -- although we are not joined at the hip, I would give up that color with many regrets. On the other hand, the lingerie would not protect the car body because some of the chips are on the door. I left out Magma Red because I drive quite late at night and do not want to call attention to myself or the car. Didn't I see a post from someone with Magma Red getting chips?

What to do! What to do! :D)

Sure was delighted with the chat room today.

Miki
    michhala:
    If I were you (assuming you have a garage to put it in), I'd just get the color you like, put an invisible bra (check around in your area and make sure you have a good installer first) on it to cover the front impact areas, and enjoy it ;-)

I don't understand what's causing the chips on the doors for the person that reported that though...
    Get the color you like and put one of the invisible bras on. I think the door chips on your current C are a real fluke, you're the only person I've heard mention anything like that. If you want black get black! Although I've seen some really sharp white Es, they're quite rare. My car is the Magma Red one and does have 2 chips on the front bumper and several tiny, pinhead sized ones, on the hood. Ian has Desert silver and it looks great, but I've never seen it on an E. Give us the details on this E exchange, you've got to go for it!!
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    1) does anyone know if it is possible to change to the cd while playing to another cd using the steering wheel pads?
    2) cannot check my oil. every time i try it says to start engine to check, I do and then it says oil cannot be checked with the engine on. anyone have this problem?
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    We finally ordered a C320 for my wife. We went with the obsidian black (metallic
    black) with charcoal interior + C2, C4, C6 (sports package), and xenon lights.
    Choosing a color was one of the biggest decisions albeit going with or without the
    sports package. I was hot on the brilliant silver but she wasn't. Going from a Camry,
    I have offered to help her get used to driving this fun car once it's delivered in the
    next 45 - 60 days (she doesn't buy that). What I still haven't figured out is how with
    100K miles on her '96 Camry, she gets a C320 and tells me I can get a new car in
    two years. Folks, my '91 Honda has 230K miles on it. Somebody help me!! In any
    case, that gives me time to see what Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes do with their GS,
    5 Series, and E Class respectively.
This discussion has been closed.