Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    yes.. i do know many people are feeling the pinch.. and i just say that people that based a lifestyle on an inflated market.. thinking it never will come down.. have never studied macro economics.. or even have an inklng of basic capitalism.. if u want lessons speak to my 81 yr old parents remember every major depression including '29.. up and down up and down.... an easy lesson.. but..in a country where"greed is good... greed is neccessary" many do get in over their heads.. thinking they are too smart to get caught... well.. guess what?
    like in vegas,,, buy with your head,,, not your heart.. buy what you can afford in a worst case scenario.... not based on the giddiness of a booming market... (its all just paper.. until u need it).. and youll never get in trouble... i know its not as much fun... but then... neither is loosing one's house

additionally.. mb was aggresivly pushing the c(on tv) back in the fall
    when they had virtually no product to ship and the market was sitill reasonably good.. tv advertising time is booked well in advance... and has no relation to unpredictable wall street jitters
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I can see it now... cameras poised at Cheesecake Factory to monitor the economy. Henry thinks I meant this literally!! Once again... if people pay MSRP... leave them be!! As far as the economy goes... it's STILL STRONG. Henry must be the same idiots that bought out all the bread in Shoprite last week when weather forecasters said it would be the STORM OF THE CENTURY!! Listen to the hype. The media WANTS a reecession you fool!!! It's something to talk about. As long as rents stay high, home costs remain high, and there are NO incentives on the C class, the economy is still OK.
    ( listening on line at A&P)... "ohhh gawd.. we better buy bread and milk... ya never know how long we ll have snow"geeesh!!
    the media comment is to a certain degree correct.. no wars.. no famine... let jump on an issue.. people become fixated.. and make an economic correction.. into a more serious problem.i dont know jason.. maybe we live in a pocket of unknowing..unseeing..unfeeling delusional conspicuous consumers. i don know one thing... usually the economy SPENDS its way out of a recession... so if people want to make this as painless as possible.. support your economy.. spend some money.. help enrich all those around you.. and it will come back 10 fold!
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    All right folks...... being schooled in economics 101 has outlived its welcome and is not the purpose of this club. Recession or no recession I believe we are all in a position to determine whether or not we are in a position to shell out the $$$'s for a C class or whatever model we desire. It is true I could go all over town and maybe save a buck or two over MSRP yet that may not be what I want to do especially if the savings and period spent haggling is not worth my time. It is true I could get a fully loaded Acura RL for what I am paying for my C320 as it is also true I could buy three Hyundai Elantras. We have all made decisions, hopefully not under any type of duress, to either buy or consider buying a Mercedes and that comes at a price non Mercedes fans may have a difficult time rationalizing. One thing that is certain is that we share a common interest in Mercedes, particularly the C. Let's put a stop to the name calling etc and return this forum to what it is meant to be - sharing C experiences.
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    All,

I have been reading all arguments and counter-argumanets regarding the MSRP issues, first of all my this POST is not for those who already have that ORNAMENT on their HOOD, ENJOY !!!! so please do not feel that I am attacking you, my thinking on this post is for those like ME still hunting for a right DEAL

I am totally agree with C320 buyer, I my self has experienced call re-calls from my MB dealer who have cancellation every two week, unfortunately the CAR he offered to me was LOADED with some or the other package I dint intended to buy - that is the STORY now you have to figure out the reasons beyond this cancellations either the people who ordered that FIRST place found another car better than MB? heck no in my opinion MB is undisputed queen of the road !! then what could be other factors for those cancellation ???? is it STOCK market or some sort of FEAR in peoples mind about ECONOMY ! the best thinking is if you can wait to see that ORNAMENT on the hood of your next CAR - the time has come to save few $$$$$
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...and ad in today's Washington Post (Business section) by a local Lexus dealer which said "Respectfully discounting our entire inventory." Before buying my 2000 C, I do know that ES 300's, at least, were regularly discounted. Still, this ad was a surprise--I'd be curious as to whether any of the local Benz dealers "loosen up" re negotiations. Happy motoring (and dealing!)
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I have to agree that the name-calling really is counter-productive if you're trying to make a point. It just makes you look small-minded. And that goes for both sides of the argument.

Certainly those of us who already have the car likely paid full price, I think we can agree on that. For those who are currently hunting for their car, I'm sure that some people have been cancelling orders, probably because their personal financial situations have gone downhill. It really doesn't matter one way or the other macroeconomically speaking what's going on in the world if the people who actually placed the orders for these cars are suffering from bad times because they lost their jobs or lost money in the market or whatever. The fact of the matter is that people are not picking up their orders in some places. I think in some areas it's worse than others. If you live in CA you're likely to see more cancellations and have more choices. I drove past my dealer's lot on Sunday and they had very low inventory of all models and I didn't see any C's.

We all make our own choices. Sure I would have loved to have saved some money off MSRP, but I wanted to have the car now so I paid what I had to. My job is not directly dependent on the strength of financial markets and I am personally very secure so I don't think I need to have my head examined. I have always wanted a MB since I was a kid. I am in a position to be able to afford it now and I don't wait to wait...any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so I'm going to enjoy my life now. That's not to say that I'm not preparing for the future too, but I wanted to live a little. If you really want a discount you're going to have to wait a bit longer I think. And depending on whether or not MB gets "desperate" to unload some cars you may be waiting even longer before they feel like they need or want to deal on the car. We all make our choices. I hope we can have civil discussion here without calling each other stupid. I don't spend much time over at MBworld.org any more because the message boards over there are just people yelling at each other all the time. I have better things to do with my time than wade through all the negativity.
    All right folks...... being schooled in economics 101 has outlived its welcome and is not the purpose of this club. Recession or no recession I believe we are all in a position to determine whether or not we are in a position to shell out the $$$'s for a C class or whatever model we desire. It is true I could go all over town and maybe save a buck or two over MSRP yet that may not be what I want to do especially if the savings and period spent haggling is not worth my time. It is true I could get a fully loaded Acura RL for what I am paying for my C320 as it is also true I could buy three Hyundai Elantras. We have all made decisions, hopefully not under any type of duress, to either buy or consider buying a Mercedes and that comes at a price non Mercedes fans may have a difficult time rationalizing. One thing that is certain is that we share a common interest in Mercedes, particularly the C. Let's put a stop to the name calling etc and return this forum to what it is meant to be - sharing C experiences.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    In my occupation (financial advisor), the buzzword for the new millenium is SUITABILITY. People should be intelligent enough, when it comes to the purchase of a car, to determine how much they can spend, as well has how much they are willing to spend. If spending more on a car means sacrificing something else, than that is the choice of the individual.

On the lighter side, the C is an awesome vehicle.
    I read a well drafted messages from fedssocr, I just want to add something, the author mentioned that in spite of cancellation (due to any reasons) he didn't find any C's on dealers lot - the reason is those cancellations are happened to be for those CARS which will arrive here in MAY, so dealers are finding each and every way to sell those by making telephone calls to prospective buyers, this POINT they still hold MSRP, the discounting era will start when the Princess will arrived at their LOT and waiting for King to show her asphalt !! (lol) the reason I am optimistic is because I have not put down any amount to be on their WAITING LIST whom they said they will offer the CAR in case of cancellations

so now the word is WAIT and WATCH, anyway even if you are ready for MSRP you have to WAIT
    nanky,

nothing personal, I would prefer to classified this messages is for per-buying audience rather than post-buying, You are absolutely right that you can share the experience of your C, but people like me who are still in wait, would still like to know what dealers are wiling to throw with new C and also to make other potential buyers aware about the price tags and the dealers willingness to negotiate, as they right now depend on this forum very much for this information and eventually they will depend on folks like you (C owner) to share post-buying experinec. once they posses that master piece from MB. I am still agree with you about your appeal, even any one of us are wrong than take us in good spirit we certainly not against you or your C, remember our goal is same the C some of you have achieved it and some are in pipeline - thanks guys
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    Given the recent tone on this board, I have chosen to stop visiting it. The caustic postings serve no prupose. (Scroll up 80 messages and count the number of nasty-grams!)

It is really too bad because this site has been the source of valuable info regarding extend warranty pricing, problems and their solutions and lots of 'how to' info.

Perhaps in a month or two I will rejoin the discussions when the members are acting less "BMW-like".
    some very well stated comments over the last few posts.. as i said before.. i applaud anyone that can get lower than msrp from a mb dealer!
    only YOU know.. how lng youre willing to wait..and only YOU know if the car is just too expensive for your financial considerations.. i concurr with feds post.. for me it was the right time.. the right car.. and the finances were fine for me...i am not at all sorry...but.. had the price been higher.. i might have opted for one of several other cars i had test driven and priced
    the car is indeed a comfortable,luxuriously sporty machine to drive.i hope you ALL figure out a way to swing it!
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    can someone re-post or give me the contact info about the discount on extended warranty pricing?

thanks in advance.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    fedssocr,

>If you live in CA you're likely to see more >cancellations and have more choices. I drove >past my dealer's lot on Sunday and they had very >low inventory of all models and I didn't see any >C's.

Why California? I live in the heart of Mercedesville and do not see this happening at this time.

Miki
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is on tonight at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to get to the chat:
    /direct/view/.eea6e59

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    hehehehehehehe.... how silly of me!
    I thought yesterday was Tuesday.

drew... thanks for pointing that out to me in BOLD.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    It is interesting to follow this thread. Go to the CLK site, quite a different discussion. People are more concerned with the wait and availabilty of the cars and on the specialty cars, clk55 and cabriolets, IF they can get them at MSRP,not over MSRP. The C is a great car and a good bank for the buck. Naturally, we have been conditioned to try and get the best price, especially with car purchases. If you can, great, good for you. Zmenow put it quite well. Wake up, life is too short, enjoy your cars. My father always said, "I never saw an armored car follow the hearst to the cemetery."
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    NY74 E-mail me and I will send you the information
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • doofusjrdoofusjr Member Posts: 3
    My C240 arrived at Baltimore port February 26th. It's now March 13th. Still no delivery to my dealer who is less than 200 miles from Baltimore. Dealer sales manager says "don't know what's going on, port manager says waiting for truck". I can't help but think car was damaged in shipment. I've been told if damage exceeds $500 dealer must inform me under law. Is this true? If no definite delivery by this week end I am planning on a road trip to see this elusive car. Am I doing the right thing? Any ideas?
  • c320buyerc320buyer Member Posts: 17
    If it isn't right in Silicon Valley where there are 3 dealers within 15 miles radius of my house, then where?
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I had the same thing happen to me with my 92 3000GT. In my case, the car wasn't damaged, but I am sure the dealer was trying to shake me loose from my deal to sell to someone who was offering a higher price. This is hopefully not happening in your case, so maybe the truck excuse is valid. Have they gotten any other deliveries from the port since then, you may have to pass by the lot every day to see if they are getting new cars delivered.

Also, I have noticed that MB delivers their cars in "regular" open car carriers. They really should deliver them in closed trucks like BMW, it makes for a safer delivery.
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

/direct/view/.eea6e59
  • richardjenkinsrichardjenkins Member Posts: 20
    Leon - I agree with you. Heretofore I had thought that this forum topic would be full of information about the New C. Specifically I was hoping for some comparisons between the new C and the old C (which I own.) The discussion has gotten out of hand.

I am thinking that either:

1) Tough talking sharp suited "New C" buyers are more interested in the price they paid for their new car and how to wax it, than they are about the ride, handling, performance of the car, *or*

2) I am getting to be an old fart.

I'm betting on the latter myself, but you never know.

See you later guys, thanks to all who made this an interesting discussion for a while.

Peace.

rj
  • dawindawin Member Posts: 15
    Anybody has a problem with skipping CD changer during a hard right turn (20-30 mph)
    Any solutions for this problem? Thanks
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Don't give up yet! This forum is frequented by a bunch of great and friendly people. On the internet and especially on BBs, things like this are bound to flair up every once in while. I remember a few months back when some BMW guy was causing all sort of problems! Remember that guy Gary!!! LOL Peace everybody!!!

Great MB chat as usual!
    yes i do remember that beemer nut! room did get off course this week...hopefully the msrp caper has been sloved,, and we can get back to nuts and bolts issues... how we love the car!
    Let's all get back to discussing our great cars and helping people who've just gotten them or are ordering.
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Really love the extra features MB has included.
    That left rear bright RED Fog light is a "brilliant" idea...pun intended. Do any other manufacturers use that feature in North America ?
    Stopped by my Dealer (unannounced) and in less than 10 mins. he had a tech. adjust the trunk so it closes "softly" now, I was having to "slam" it a tad more than I would like to...

Also sat down with my Salesman (service technician initially with MB) and photocopied a page out of the E 320 1998 E-Class Presentation Guide - Powertrain Page 33 which shows a picture of the V6 engine single overhead camshafts 3 valves per cylinder. "Although roller type rocker arms actuate the V-type engines' valves, hydraulic valve clearance is retained". He thinks this could be an explanation for the "TICK TICK ticking sound we hear at idle. Not easy to explain without a good drawing of the cam and a disk and "zero lash allowance". This V-6 does not have or use "hydraulic valve lifters".
    I'll see if I can present this issue better (maybe with Drew's assistance ?)

Great MB Chat tonight. Looking fwd to JJ's pics later this week !! Cheers.
  • mmc240mmc240 Member Posts: 4
    I'm a new C240 owner and I really need a little help here~ Remember back then people talked about the "ticking" sound? Did you people who had that problem got it fixed? and what was the problem? I also have another problem that I don't think others have talked about. which is when I get in or out the car, I could hear a sound that I think is coming from the spring. i do not think that is normal 'cause I believe that only happens when the car gets really old..........
    Please, please help me on these issues and hopefully we could go back to where the forum used to be. where people are friendly, help each other out, and focusing on the CAR~
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    Hi, C320buyer -- I live in Brentwood (Los Angeles' Westside), snuggled close to Beverly Hills, Westwood and Santa Monica. I call it "Mercedesville", with humor, for these two reasons.

1. When I last went to my "hand" car wash in Westwood, there were 8 cars going through -- six were black Mercedes: my C320, two CLKs, one E430; one SL600; one SLK320. The other two were light-colored suvs.

2. I had an appointment in Beverly Hills and to find a parking spot I had to go around a short block four times. Each time I went around, I saw at least three to five duplicates of my Black C320 with chrome wheels.

For some reason, I found this all ridiculously funny and a statement about people, human-nature, and neighborhoods.

There are two MB dealers about 10-15 minutes from my house and several more in surrounding areas in South Bay, Long Beach, the Valley, Orange County, Malibu -- all short drives.

Miki
  • pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    Haven't been on for a few weeks..what a shift in temperment round this place. From fun/interesting to near hostile all on account of the C's success and affordability with the unwashed masses. The era of the exclusive star no longer shines as bright as it did. But then, you had to be blind not to see it coming cause that's what happens when you let everyone in.

Anyways, still no probs with my car nearing the 36000 mile mark. Looking to re-tire the orignal conti's if anyone has suggestions/applause for theirs, let me know on the 2000 yr model and earlier forum.
  • pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    any suggestions for removing a tongue from a cheek?
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I know that Saab also uses the rear fog light in N. America. I think it's pretty cool.
    if you are talking about the seat squeaking... my drivers seat does that.. its not terrible.. but the car is so damn quiet!!! its just annoying!
    gonna have it taken care of within a week or 2 when i can get over there
    other minor things:while getting in or out of the car... my foot hit the speaker grill.. making a small crack in it.. also,one time i accidentally closed the door on the seat belt metallic buckle.. it chipped off a piece of the plastic housing for the door latch on the door.. again... nothing major... but...annoying,.\
    other than that. the car exceeds my expectations.. been doing a lot of highway driving on the garden state parkway(nj) and tpk.. its a very comfortable long trip car.. always pulls faster!got me a radar detector!
    you have to wash before coming in here?
    whatever the reason... it seems that from time to time theres arrives some hostility.... most are pleasent.. willing to share experiences.. and very supportive!
    Gary, I know you have over 10k miles now, what sort of milage do you normally get? We're getting about 22.5mpg on average. It got 30 once on a 300 mile trip. But 22.5 is the normal each time I fill up and reset. That's a mix of city and freeway driving.
    yeah.. im at about 10.8... im also around 22mph.. a while back i played a bit while driving flipping the odometer screen to the one that gives a running # on milage as you are driving(find that yet?)i found that,as no surprise,milage in the 50-55 mph range was as high as 29occasionally 30!(downhill!lol).. as i appoached the 65-80 mph range.. milage slipped into the 20-22 mph.. but i love driving the car at 80!what can i say?fortunately we have some gas stations in the area that have super at $1.47... so its not a bad pinch on the wallet.
    i recommend everyone find the screen that gives running milage as you are driving.. its both educational(finding the"sweet spot")and entertaining in a way to see how the engine works most/least efficiently vs..the need for speed!!
  • dawindawin Member Posts: 15
    Volvo too
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Used to have an A4 that had rear fog lights. Nice feature except that some idiots keep them on during evenings when there is NO hint of fog. Quite annoying. The most annyoing thing is FRONT fog lights. I just don't understand why people use them in the NY Metro area when there is NO fog and there is ample light from street lights.
    I believe Jaguar has them too........
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    djasonw:

You had to bring up that sore point; FRONT FOG LIGHTS !!! This is also one of my pet peeves. Why oh why do people have them on on perfectly clear evenings with NO fog, NO rain, NO snow, nothing but nice clean air and they have those damn things on so nearly everyone coming at them is blinded. Particularly bad are the Subaru and Pontiac front fogs. They are NOT fog lights, they are WW II anti-aircraft beacons...!!! Aimed horizontally instead of vertically!! Aren't there some motor vehicle laws restricting the use of them? If there isn't, let's campaign for some laws... We need some more laws, don't we ??

Don't get me started on cellphones being used by drivers while moving...!!!
  • tomc240tomc240 Member Posts: 3
    I just go to the dealer service for tick tick after 3 days old new car, they just change one little parts in the right hand side it's near top with some cables hookup,only 20min then finish, and now the tick tick is less,but still can hear little bit and much better then before,and the truck work fine right now because I didn't hold the button 3-4 second,you guys can try to ask for the service dept. about tick tick question and sorry to say my English is slow,hope you know what I say that.(I don't know what they say the parts name,even in the paper work sheet didn't show,they just write down engine work that all)
  • itabackitaback Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if it is possible to have a cell phone installed after market (either at MB or otherwise) and be able to use the integrated features of the stereo/steering wheel controls as they relate to the telephone??
    at that funny post re WW2 anti aircraft lights!
    oh we know why people do that!it says"HERE I AM DEAL WITH ME AND MY CAR!"
    fog lights on nights like last evening in nyc.. foggy and dreary.. other than that... why bother?
  • jimibjimib Member Posts: 10
    I just learned my Silver & Charcoal C320 will arrive late April. Maby all the cancellations I have been reading about! Ironically I learned about this as a good friend of mine was test driving a C320 for himself! Oh well! we are doing what we can for the economy! By the way, I paid full price and saved a lot of money doing so. That is, I purchased after "one" trip to the dealership. I own a construction business and at the rate I charge for my time, each trip to the dealership probably costs me $1,000. So running all over town multiple times does nothing for my pocketbook. Anyway I need the car now! That is what I work for!!
  • mac72mac72 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 97 c230. A rather noisy "rumbling" sound comes from the engine that is obvious both at idle and low speeds. I don't notice a problem with the way the vehicle is running. Is this something normal?
This discussion has been closed.