Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I thought previous posters had said that this exit mode/seat memory conflict was permanent, designed to stop someone from entering the car and having the seat restore back to a position that would pin them against the steering wheel? Why can't you just disable your exit mode before going to the car wash/valet, and allow your seat memory to be recalled afterwards?

It's good to see they appear to be switching to a different brake pad to resolve the squealing, there are many European brake pad makers like Mintex (excellent pads) and Pagid that could solve this problem.

It would be nice if MB had the "special wish" program like Porsche, where you could get the car in any color. MB is making alot of $$$ on these optional paints.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    just in case you manage to get some in while drying it, etc.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Received my bulbs today and installed the high beams in the clk. As someone said, the owners manual will tell you what bulb designation is right for your lights as well as installation instructions.
    They took about a week too arrive by mail and the price is as Ken Yee stated, including shipping.
    One bulb (they come as a set) inside the Philips Packaging was loose as in Ken's, no problem with it. They are separated inside the package, so they do not have any chance of banging each other.
    I went with the high beams as well as the low beams as I wanted all the light I could get on dark unlit roads.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >I thought previous posters had said that this >exit mode/seat memory conflict was permanent, >designed to stop someone from entering the car >and having the seat restore back to a position >that would pin them against the steering wheel? >Why can't you just disable your exit mode before >going to the car wash/valet, and allow your seat >memory to be recalled afterwards

Not sure, but I think Drew posted the above. -- In my car, in order for the memory to hold three settings, "exit" has to be disabled all the time. If I decide I do not want to use "exit", I can disable and move the seat back and forth manually on a permanent basis. Many people do not use the "exit" mode -- it is not on the E-class.

In my car, the memory button is not engineered with the safety feature of stopping before pinning me against the steering wheel -- it is engineered to make me a hood ornament.
    Well sure, if you press the wrong memory button, the seat will pin you. But I thought the idea about the exit mode disable was that if the seat were to AUTOMATICALLY restore to the previous setting after being manually adjusted, if could pin someone. I'm confused here I guess, I don't own this car yet, so maybe I'm not making any sense.

Anyway, what do owners find the insurance rates to be on this car, in comparison to the cars they previously owned before buying this one? I'm sure it's higher, although the theft discount should be good with the satellite tracking, but I'm worried that those crash tests results might push collision rates up. Comments?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The C-class uses 55 watt H7 bulbs for the high and low beams so you will have to go with those in order for them to fit. The ones that Steven is referring to are the Phillips VisionPlus bulbs that are available from www.fosmo.com for $32.77 per pair (lowest price by far anywhere, AFAIK). They put out 200 lumens more (per bulb) compared to the stock Hella bulbs. 1 lumen is equal to the light put out by one candle measured from a solid angle.

According to Auto Express, the Phillips VisionPlus H7 bulbs put out 1590 lumens, whereas the Hella bulbs only put out 1384 lumens. Of course, one also has to take into account headlamp reflector efficiency. For H7 bulbs/headlamps, the luminare efficiency of the reflectors are about 80%, I think.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/michaelab/carcare-newsection/print_carcare.php3?id=84

Other headlamps with different bulbs have worse/less efficient (or far less efficient) reflector designs. In contrast, high intensity discharge Xenon headlamps put out 3200 lumens, and with almost a 100% reflector efficiency (for those Xenon headlamps that are not projector style). This is why Xenon headlamps are so much brighter (more than 2X) than halogens, excluding the huge gain in colour temperature.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I have an early build C320 and have not experienced the problem with the memory seat. I have exit ENABLED and sure enough the shmuck at the car wash put the seat back and when I got back in, I pressed the button and it returned back to normal. Could it be that only some cars are plagued?
    It will make more sense to you when you have the car.

With a VIN number you can find out how much your insurance will cost. Not exact, but mine was pretty close. Since I have an umbrella policy on my car, what I am paying would not help you with the going rates.
    >Could it be that only some cars are plagued?

I am sure that is the case. However, another C320 was tested at the dealer and it behaved as mine. I am encouraged to hear that yours is working properly.

Have you tried programming three different settings into 1-2-3 memory positions with Exit enabled? That is one of my issues.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Well... I haven't memorized all the positions. Do you think I should? I think I may jinx it!! hehehe. hey... ya know.. my friend also bought a new C320 just last week and has the COMMAND system and the phone etc... and voice control (not sure what its called)..anyway there is a software glitch with a fix in the works. It only works for him 50% of the time!
  • fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    >my friend also bought a new C320 just last week
    >and has the COMMAND system and the phone etc...
    >and voice control (not sure what its
    >called)..anyway there is a software glitch with
    >a fix in the works. It only works for him
    >50% of the time!

I'm getting COMMAND, phone and voice... What's
    the "it" that only works 50% of the time? Any
    additional information on the problem and the
    solution would be greatly appreciated (so I can
    test for it when I pick up my C320).

Thanks.

Robert
    >anyway there is a software glitch with a fix in >the works. It only works for him 50% of the >
    >time!

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, a friend in Illinois met with the Mercedes rep about his seat memory and remote key unlocking and was told there was a fix in the works. It is to this info I refer when I say I do not know how reliable it is. If you have heard this, too, all the better.

Re checking out the memory using all three positions, which makes you the most happy -- finding out they do not work, finding out they do work, or not knowing for sure? :) I would not be able to resist!
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    Sshowitt, I have emailed you earlier and just want to check with you that whether you have received my email. If not, I could send you again. Thanks.
  • mga3mga3 Member Posts: 51
    I live in NYC,(Manhattan) and am driving a leased Black C320. My insurance cost from Geico is $2122.20 for the year. $1061.10 every six months. This incredible rate is due to a few factors as explained to me by Geico:
    1)Believe it or not the auto theft rate has gone down in NYC. Thus, all major insurance carriers have adjusted their rates.

2)The type of automobile I was covering. The C320 comes with eight airbags,ABS,Anti-theft,Anti-towing alarms,and ofcourse Tele-Aid tracking.

3)I have a clean driving record.

With those three factors combined I recieved an incredible rate. It was suggested by Geico that if I take a one day six hour drivers defensive course. I can reduce my premium by another $78.00. Something I am considering.

So,another reason to love this vehicle.
    >driving a leased Black C320. My insurance cost >from Geico is $2122.20 for the year.

I live in Southern CA, in an area I think has a high rate of insurance. I purchased a Black C320 and my insurance for the year is $1889. I also carry a $188 umbrella policy for which you must take the highest coverages. The combined premium total is $2077. The policy cannot be cancelled and is with The Hartford. I have a perfect driving record; however, in 1999 my car was hit three times within four months and since it was not my fault, my rates did not increase.

Miki
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    Nice article of the new c class. Anticipation is killing me ... I feel like that old Heinz 57 Ketchup commercial! Any way ...

The article says, "I wish the parking brake wasn't foot-operated (four pedals is too much for anyone). I wish that my Classic-trim tester's $37,450 price included things like a CD player and alloy wheels instead of the cheesy plastic wheel covers."

Plastic wheel covers? I thought they were all alloy rims. Sport package included the 5 spoke while the rest was a 7 spoke. Is this a Canadian thing?

greg@thedailydonut.com
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    When I exit from the freeway down the ramp the volume on the radio lowers. From loud to medium. I thought it might be like on a motorcycle and the volume adjusts to the speed. Does anyone know about this?
    Am I deaf and just don't know it? Is my car acting up? Thanks,
    Bill
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    i noticed on my base model stereo that the volume seems to be epeed senstitve.. i never saw anything in the manua about it... but several times now... it also caught my attention
    in norther nj... paying $1600 per yr.. car purchased not leased.. i thought nj rates were about the highest in the country... guess not
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    For once, South Carolina, which is always last on statistics of ANY kind, has an advantage in insurance premiums. A 320 would cost me $1,250 annually. Have you tried State Farms Auto-quoter at http://www.statefarm.com/quote/arq.htm?

May be it's worth a try. I compared Geico rates with my current State Farm policies, and Geico would have cost me exactly 15% more! Funny, how persuasive ads can be...

Tarik

• diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    $940 per year, driver's age 41, clean record,
    $500K Liability each accident, $250K Liability each person, $500 Collison deductible, $250 Comprehensive deductible. I was very pleased with how good the rates are on the C Class.
    Canadian Models:

C 240 Classic (Base)

C 240 Elegance

C 240 Sport

C 320

C 320 Sport

http://carling.mercedes-benz.ca/english/html/models/Cclass/master_cclass.html

Miki do you read the TO Star regularly ?

thanks for the Link !

"....means the 240 feels much faster, an impression surely abetted by a short-ratio six-speed gearbox. While not up to the slick standard of BMW's best, the action is at least light and easy-to-use and, like the clutch, seems to smooth out the more aggressively you drive..."

He then states: "Loose shifting six speed" ?

I find the 6MT very good, a huge improvement over my last 5 speed Outback, then again I have not driven a 6 speed BMW (don't think they have one?) Audi does have a 6 speed.

Ian in Jersey.

3. David Coulthard - McLaren Mercedes
    6. Mika Hakkinen - McLaren Mercedes
    Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix results:
    Michael Schumacher of Germany won Sunday's 56-lap Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang International Circuit in Kuala Lumpur. The following are the results:

1. Michael Schumacher (Germany), Ferrari, 1 hr., 47 min., 34.801 sec. (170.613 kph/105.780 mph)
    2. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil), Ferrari, +23.660 seconds
    3. David Coulthard (Scotland), McLaren, +28.55
    4. Heinz-Harald Frentzen (Germany),Jordan,46.543
    5. Ralf Schumacher (Germany), Williams, +48.233
    6. Mika Hakkinen (Finland), McLaren, +48.606
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    Wow ... Never would of thought there would be such a difference in models. I'm wondering what their logic is, being that the US and Canada are such close neighbors. Seems like there are more standard features with a US version.

greg@thedailydonut.com
  • gb16gb16 Member Posts: 12
    I just called Geico ot price out the C240 and I got a rate of only 1260 per year. And I had upped the coverage. go figure
  • blackonblackblackonblack Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone advise me quickly about the above? I have ordered it on my C240 and only have a day or so to change my mind. My dealer doesn't, and hasn't, had one to actually see, and I am concerned about buying something "sight unseen."

Questions:
    1. In what ways does it visually look different from the passenger seat? Can you tell a difference by just looking at the seats?

2. Where is the control for the extra features mounted?

3. Any history of short or long term problems with the extra features? I intend to keep the care a long time.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    The Classic model isn't sold in the US, my guess being they don't want to dilute the MB aura too too much by selling a car there for $25000. But then that doesn't make sense either, can you imagine how many they would sell. Also I'd much rather pick my options a la carte as in Cda than buying them in packages and getting something you don't want in the first place. Lots of people just want the car, with the bare necessitites like power locks, windows, a/c and not much else including leather seats. I prefer cloth seats anyday. Unfortunately neither side of the 49th gets the avant-garde model or the broader selection of engines.
  • norcalmikenorcalmike Member Posts: 25
    I had an opportunity to purchase a C320 four months ago. After an extended test drive I ended up with a sore back due to no lumbar support. I ordered a C320 with multi contour. The car I ordered is in Sacramento as we speak. I took it for a short test drive yesterday (didn't bring it home, we are still working on the numbers). It simply will be impossible NOT to find a perfect position with multi contour. There is a small rectangular box (1" wide x 4" high) positioned on the right side of the seat below the drivers right leg and the center console near the seat belt clasp. There are four small rectangular toggle switches on the top of the box. The toggle switches activate a pump that fills up air bladders for two different lumbar supports, the side bolsters, and the front of the seat. The lumbar is just great! One for the lower back and one for the mid back. I had it dialed in for a perfect position in about one minute. It's the best 460 bucks I have ever spent. Other than the little control box near your right leg you can not tell the difference between the two seats. My only quibble was the little control box is close to the seat belt clasp. I caught myself saying "Man. that's a tight fit, why didn't they put that box someplace else?" Final analysis: Get the multi contour. It is very much worth every penny! Hope this helps.
    >Miki do you read the TO Star regularly ?

No, I do not -- a friend sent me the link. I do bring up the Globe and Mail once in awhile.

You have good insurance rates. My yearly premium is $1889. My deductibles are lower (collision $200; other than collision $100). California also requires uninsured motorists 250K/500K ($171). Liability is $250K/$500K; property damage each accident $50K; towing insurance $8.00.

This is the same coverage I have always had. I hope they are OK and I have enough.
    Maybe someone here has a small (adult) person in their life and can help me.

I am 5'2", 106 lbs. -- Without a pillow, the visibility of the C320 is perfect and I have no problem reaching the pedals. I do, however, have a problem with the head restraint. Without a pillow, only the top fourth of the back of my head reaches the bottom half of the restraint. With a seat pillow, half of my head reaches the bottom of the restraint.

Questions:
    1. Am I properly protected with just the top half of my head in the bottom half of the head restraint? Pillow I use is about 2", and I am sitting pretty tall. If I get a higher pillow, then the seat may have to be lowered. If the seat is lowered, the head restraint will be raised more. In my former BMW, the fit was good, and my entire head was protected. I am concerned that the base of the skull needs protection.

2 What is the proper distance from steering wheel air bag should I be?

I posted on the petite forum, but I do not think any replies will be forthcoming.

Thanks everyone.

Miki
    Regarding the head restraint, (looking from the side) the centre of the head restraint should be the same level with the centre of gravity of your head. The best way to determine this is to align the top of the head restraint with the top of your head. You also want the head restraint to be as close to the back of your head as possible (it should be comfortable to you too, of course), so tilt the head restraint to adjust this. You can manually adjust the head restraint using the power seat controls. No need to go with the preset generic settings. I urge everyone to adjust their vehicle's head restraints properly for optimum protection. If you try to do it on a non-MB vehicle, you may find that the head restraints do not go up high enough. This goes to show you how inadequate some of the head restraint designs are.

As for the airbag, adjust your seat and the steering wheel so that you are at least 12" away from the airbag. Fortunately the C-class (and other late model MB vehicles) has dual stage and dual threshold airbags and hence will deploy only when appropriate, and with the right amount of force.

35mph flat barrier crash test w/o and with airbags (Mac users, open up the following links in Internet Explorer since they contain AVI format video clips):
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/iihs1.html (Ouch!)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/iihs2.html

Drew
    Host
    Shouldn't the back of that car *not* push the driver into the steering wheel? :-)
    My thanks, Drew, for your response and the links. I do have the head restraint at its lowest using the power seat control on the door, and it is not enough. Also, although the C manual states they tilt, they do not on my C320. I asked at the dealer about their tilting, and they told me they do not. I asked if there was a way to remove the restraint and shorten the metal bars a bit so that they will fit into the seatback lower, but I have not gotten any help. The MB rep thought it humorous that I was asking the question and told me they cannot remodify a car. A thicker pillow? What to do? What to do? :)

I am O.K. with the distance from the steering wheel, at least.

Miki
    IIRC, I think they do tilt...sort of. If you grab the head restraint cushion and pull it towards you, it expands.. If the head restraint is at the lowest position already, then it should be okay for you. No need for any modifications and don't worry about it. Really! I wouldn't bother with a pillow either. Notice that Volvo's non-adjustable head restraints go all of the way up, almost to the top of the roof? It's only when the head restraint is too low that it won't be as effective.
    Well, the seats do deform when you smack into something, so it doesn't exactly push the driver into the steering wheel. Rather, it moves along with the driver. The seatbelts also do have some stretch in the webbing, so again, the driver moves forward (this is where seatbelt pretensioners come into play).

Drew
    Host
    >I think they do tilt... sort of. If you grab the >head restraint cushion and pull it towards you, >
    >it expands

Bless you! Indeed they do tilt! All the dummies are not at the factory doing crash testing! Every now and then to test, I bang my head back and forth on the head restraint :):):) and it does hit the restraint every time. (Ever see a blonde test a head restraint at a stop light? That would be me :)

I appreciate your quick responses, and they have made me more comfortable with the situation. Thank you.

Miki
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    While surfing Mercedes Worldwide web site...(http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/home/news/news_1.htm) I found this artical on increased production of the C:

<<<Rise in Production Expected at DaimlerChrysler Plant in East London
    East London, March 15

Production of Mercedes-Benz vehicles will be significantly increased at the DaimlerChrysler plant in East London, South Africa, by 2002. The goal is to expand annual production to 62,000 units, with the increase primarily affecting the C-Class, in great demand as an export vehicle. The plant in East London also manufactures vehicles for right-hand-drive markets such as Great Britain and Japan.>>>>>

I've also read BMW is manufacturing their 3 Series in South Africa. However, it's been said these vehicals are not built with the same quality standards as German manufactured 3s. Instead, the S.A. 3's have been used for Dealer loaners and BMW Executives.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Would anyone like to swap COMAND cd's? I have Region 8: Mid-Atlantic. I am especially interested in Region 7: New England. If you are interested, please e-mail me at Wanderer27585731@aol.com (I guess I wasn't the first to think of that handle!).
    http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser

second piece:

&act=display&tf=/news/national/storytemplate3.tmpl&loc=hp

Sorry for the totally broken URL (glue the two pieces together to see it).

Stupid web crossing software :-P

• rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I have come into a Region 1 (California/Nevada) COMMAND CD (PN Q6460053, version 7/00) that I do not need any more its still in the plastic Wrap.

Contact me at amg@exconde.com

Robert
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I was out of town and it seems as though I missed a lot. I really missed the C, but we had to take the German Shepard with us so we had to take the Frontier Crewcab. I saw about 5 new Cs on the drive, and talked to a guy at a gas station who had a black C320 with 17" chrome AMG monoblocks, man they looked awesome!! The guy said he got his car in September and that his was the first his dealer got in. I should have looked at his VIN to see how low it was, we got ours the first of November and it's VIN is 34---.

Miki- you've got chrome wheels right? Which ones do you have, and what size are they? Have you seen any Obsidian MBs? I haven't, but I've been looking, Drew said he'd look for a picture.
    Thanks to all who posted their insurance quotes. I pay $1800 for my 98 Passat in NY, so I figured it would be around $2000 for the C.

That cars.com article, is it true that 55% of all C's sold are 320s? That seems high to me, does anyone know the real figures from MB?

I thought the South Africa plant made ONLY right hand drive cars, do they make cars there for the USA?
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    55% seems high.. my impression has been thatg due to cost.. the 240 by far is the higher volume product
  • boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    I ran several cars that are on my "list" through State Farms site with all the same information. A Saab 9-3SE is 4.3% more then the MB C240. A Saab 9-5 base sedan is 1.0% less. A Volvo S60 T5 is 4.9% more, but the S60 2.4 is 4.5% less and the 2.4T is 0.6% less. The MB C320 is 14.7% higher!
    I just ordered mine as well, we'll have to let each other know when they arrive. I'm planning on doing the install myself, I assume you're planning the same? I saw a desert silver C on the road today, thought about you and yours! How's the post break-in miles?? I bet you're loving having full power at the ready!
    We pay $700 per year, 100/300/100, $200 ded. for our C240, We get the multicar,Tele-aid, alarm, educator, and good driver discounts. I shopped a bunch, 6 other quotes, and found that my current ins. was already the cheapest. It just confirmed how smart I already was! LOL!
    >Miki- you've got chrome wheels right? Which ones >do you have, and what size are they? Have you >seen any Obsidian MBs? I haven't, but I've been >looking, Drew said he'd look for a picture.

Dennett -- Yes, I do have chrome wheels. As to which and what size, I am clueless, but they look big and racy. My purchase order just says "4 chrome wheels". I know what kind of tires I have, though -- Continental all-season. I did not know there was a choice of wheels, but they came from the dealer. Where do I look to see what kind and size?

I have not seen Obsidian Black anywhere, and I am still wondering if it glows in the dark as does the Black. The Klasse coat I wiped on left a mirror finish and took about 15 minutes.

Will you be returning to the States soon?

Miki
  • blackonblackblackonblack Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response--it was very helpful. It raises a question for me, though, since my wife is short and will need to move the seat far forward. Do you sense that the control box might come into contact with the center console if the seat is moved far enough forward? Thanks, again.
    boonsboro:
    You have to normalize to price to make those comparisons valid. Insurance for more expensive cars will almost always be more than a less expensive one ;-)

dennett & ian:
    Have you guys ever put in MB bulbs? My first experience w/ adding fog lights was pretty painful (the H7 install was much easier because of the bigger opening :-)
    I also never saw the H* style clips before. The ones I replaced in the past involved replacing the entire capsule.
    Yes Bill, I plan on the zero cost install fee.
    You install yours first and then loan me the surgical gloves...LOL.
    1000 miles break-in ETA after work today. Time to cut them puppies loose (or ponies...)
This discussion has been closed.