Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Interesting analysis you did. There's the difference between 168 HP (2.6L) C 240 and 215 HP (3.2L) C 320, and MSRP etc...
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I think I'm going to stay in Germany, I like it here. As far as the wheel size, look on your tires, are they 205/55-16? If not what are the numbers on your tires. If you paid $750 plus or minus for the chrome wheels they are probably the stock wheels which have been chromed, which do look real sharp! There's black C320 just down the road from me with chromed stock wheels, I've been trying to talk to the owner about where he had them done and how much, but no luck so far. I'd personally love to find a set of stock CLK430 rims for our C, I'm keeping my eyes open.
    I have never installed bulbs in a Mercedes before, is there anything I should know other than don't touch the bulb? I think I will go for the surgical gloves. What other advice would you give Ian and I, I don't think he's done it either but I could be wrong.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    dennett:
    borrow a mirror from your wife (they usually have one they use for makeup) so you can see how the connections work; you're going to do it mostly by feel. There are two clips that swing from the passenger side to the drivers side. You squeeze them together (top to bottom) to free them from the latch. You then pull the bulb out carefully (it's connected to a plug) and pull the bulb out of the plug (you can do this w/o touching the bulb).
    Then reverse the procedure. When you put it back in, concentrate on lining the bulb up, then
    put the top clip on w/ your thumb to hold the bulb in place, then the bottom clip. I'm assuming you're right handed.
    The notch for the bulb is straight up when you put it in. You'll see the notch when you get the bulbs.
    I haven't even looked at the manual yet, so maybe this info is there, but how do I tell the high beam bulb from the low beam? I'm planning on just doing the low beams. Thanks for all the info!
    dennett:
    That's in the manual. It's probably easier on the C since you have separate openings for each one.
  • norcalmikenorcalmike Member Posts: 25
    The little control box fits snug against the seat. I don't think it will rub on the center console. Even if it does the box is not rigid and nothing will happen if it does touch. It's a great feature.
    Miki, here are some good photos with descriptions of tire codes etc... C Class: 205/55R16 91H
    Sport=225/50R16 92V

Traction A: How well the tire stops on wet roads in govt tests. Best: A Worst: C
    Temperature: How well the tire resists heat. Best: A Worst: C
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    Has anyone installed new splash guards on thier 2001 C? Any comments. Anyone see one with then on. How do they look.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >look on your tires, are they 205/55-16? If not >what are the numbers on your tires. If you paid >$750 plus or minus for the chrome wheels they are >probably the stock wheels

Herr Dennett - I do have 205/55/R16 91H CH95, and I am fairly sure they are stock wheels. Both CD changer and four wheels listed at $1295 each item. With discount, cost of CD changer and wheels was $1390. CD changer came to $795 and wheels $595. I had to kick and scream in my quiet way for the wheels discount. The $500 CD changer discount was their standard discount.

Miki
    >here are some good photos with descriptions of >tire codes etc... C Class: 205/55R16 91H
    >Sport=225/50R16 92V

Thank you so much for the photos -- they are and will be of great help to me.

I had always put Pirelli on my BMW with the highest speed-tested rating. I felt a little let down when I saw the Continental tires, which I thought were made in New Jersey, with the lower speed. However as I read the tires for my reply to Herr Dennett, I noticed they were made in Germany. As if it matters anyhow :)

Again, thanks and the pics are truly appreciated.

Miki
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    To tell the difference, turn the lights on to low beam. I personally found that removing the plug from the bulb first and then removing the bulb simplifies the operation. I changed the bulbs in my ML and CLK in less than 10 minutes per vehicle. Each vehicle had a plastic cover that had to be removed from the back of the light housing first before getting to the bulb. I am sure that the C-Class is probably similiar.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    i was wondering if anyone has come across a product that cleans the tire rims well.. and maybe even protects them from accumulation of brake dust?
    You are welcome Miki. I hope you won't be driving at 130 mph too often in your 320...
    If Dennett is with you, they will pull over his Magma Red before your Obsidian Black and you will be fine. (Heard another rolling blackout day in CA today...that's not good).
    Steve:
    Good point. It would have been easier if I did that (just yank the plug straight out for those of you who haven't done it yet). The plug got tangled up in the clips when I was trying to get it out so I could get at the bulb.
    BTW, was it obviously brighter to you when looking from the outside and inside? I took digipics and the old bulbs looked brighter from the inside, but the new bulbs looked brighter from the outside (of course, I screwed up and didn't use a fixed position for the camera)-: I also only swapped the passenger side so I could see if there is a difference. It doesn't look 50% brighter to me...
    I think you're having the same dream the rest of us are having!! LOL I too would be very interested in any products like you're mentioning. I just rub the crud off every 2 days or so, my hands are always a mess afterwords!!!
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Zee... I've heard that the commercial cleaners on the market today are too abrasive for the clearcoat finishes on the wheels. Eventually the clearcoat will be eroded from continued use. You should check the labels on these products to see if they have a disclaimer stating that their product will NOT hurt the finish. If you wax the wheels every week, it will be easier to remove the brake dust. This has worked well for me. Just make sure you clean them once a week so it doesn't build up too much. I have around 3 coats of wax so I'll STOP the waxing for around 3 months and see what happens.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I'm getting the idea that some folks (just some, don't flame me) on this board have no experience with car care products for a car like this. Regarding wheel cleaners, I beg of you, stay away from the crap at Pep Boys. Use P21S, period. If you want to go an extra mile, put a coat of straight carnauba wax on the wheel. Most BMW dealers sell P21S (I've never been to a Benz parts dept), otherwise:

http://www.motorhead.net/cgi-bin/viewproduct.exe?1013950&pdetail.htm

• newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    I have used the MB wheel cleaner and it works just fine. It is made by McGuires, of course. I bought some other stuff the other day but have not tried it yet. I'll let you know at the end of the week.

The key is to never clean the wheels when they are hot.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Hi all, I know some of you have been waiting for the '01 C-class's offset crash test results (even though we already know that it receives a "good" and a "best pick"). I'm happy to report that tomorrow's Dateline NBC Tuesday at 10pm EST/9pm CST will be airing the results of the crash test, just in time for tomorrow's MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! Please check your local TV listings.

Also included in this round of IIHS crash tests will be the Hyundai Elantra, the Honda Civic, the Dodge Grand Caravan, the Ford Focus, and the Dodge Stratus. Note that all of the models that are being crash tested have been substantially or completely redesigned, and are model year 2001 vehicles. Dateline is only covering the IIHS test and has no say in the results.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    >I hope you won't be driving at 130 mph too often in your 320...
    >If Dennett is with you, they will pull over his >Magma Red before your Obsidian Black and you >will be fine.

I have not driven above 115.....yet :)

So, it's true what I've heard about red cars! I hope Dennett will be careful and not offend the Highway Patrol. I must tell Dennett my secret -- when stopped by an officer, if he lets some tears run down his cheek, he will not get a ticket.

(Heard another rolling blackout >day in CA today... that's not good).

I am served by the Dept of Water and Power, thank goodness, so we have not experienced any rolling blackouts so far. Affected were customers of
    Pacific Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas and Electric. I was surprised to hear that Beverly Hills and other communities that surround me had a rolling blackout today. It is completely unbelievable that people have to worry about an electricity shortage and all its ramifications IMHO!!! Imagine how the people caught in an elevator felt.

Miki
    My house was hit by the rolling blackout today! All my clocks are off, and my landscape lighting is screwed up! I'll have to reprogram it all, oh well daylight savings time is coming as well. I'll try the tears thing if I get pulled over, the cop will probably think I'm some sort of crying moran and let me off! It may be worth it.
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    I could never figure this one out. Why MB has so many first features and yet they still have brake pads that create excess dust. On my volkswagen I had my mechanic change out the front pads with a different brand that did not cause this dust. I'm sorry to say I forgot the brand. I did ask him if I should change the pads on the new MB and was told that they are not avaiable. He will keep an I eye out and let me know. And Yes they did work fine on the VW. Braking was excellent and no (very little) dust. As far as the cleaner goes I have had excellent results P21S and something by Mothers?

greg@thedailydonut.com
    Dennett -- Did you know about the blackout ahead of time? What a bummer to have to reprogram the lights. We are literally going back to the "Dark Ages" methinks.
  • jjsanijjsani Member Posts: 14
    FYI... I been having intermitted problems locking and unlocking my doors (C320), using the key.

If you just point the key at the car and press the lock and walk away, assuming the car is locked, you may find it's not. You may think it's the battery in the key, but it's not.

I've been experiencing this problem for about a week and went to the dealer yesterday to have the key checked. The outcome... there is a software problem that MB is working on to resolve this problem. The key looses it's memory !!

I was told to resolve this problem for the short term, until a fix is available(in April) is to insert your key in and out of the ignition 10 consecutive times, this will reset the memory.

I tried it and key will start working again(locking and unlocking the doors), but when they said short term, they meant it, it only worked 2 more times after that.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Simply Green makes an aerosol foaming wheel cleaner that works very well. Spray it on and then use an old toothbrush to get at the rough spots, then rinse off. PS, don't put the toothbrush back in the bathroom tothbrush rack.
  • 4murphy4murphy Member Posts: 20
    Well, I think that MB has finally fixed my squealing brakes. It has been almost two months and 2000 miles and the brakes seem to be fine. What a relief.

Yesterday, My daughter and I drove from Ann Arbor MI to South Bend to watch the U of M women play the Irish. The car handled absolutely beautifully. At one point we suddenly came upon stopped traffic. From 80 miles per hour to stopping,it was straight and quick. We were impressed. Given that I have been quite critical of this vehicle, I believe that it is only fair that I say something positive when things are OK.

I am ordering a radar detector after I finish this message. I had real difficulty keeping the speed under 80 MPH. I haven't driven so fast in a long time. For the record, I haven't had any type of ticket in over 25 years. This car may change that if I don't get a radar detector.

My daughter has agreed to take the car off my hands since I have been so unhappy with it, but her price is quite low. In addition, she wants the paint chips fixed. I am afraid to look at the hood after driving 380 miles yesterday. MB does need a better paint solution.
    I've owned a 2000 C280 for a little over one year and now have a 2001 C320. I put a little over 25k on the 2000 and have never had ONE chip. I consistently travel on the highway at 80 or better sometimes. Now after 2000 miles I have checked the front end of my C320 (which also goes 80 or so on the highway). Still no chips yet. I DO believe you but I think it is not as pervasive as you seem to believe.

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. That includes you, Tarik ;-) Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00033.htm

The C-class was the best in class, beating the former leader, the BMW 3-series, and even the all new Volvo S60. No doubt a very impressive performance. Note that the windshield did not even crack. All of the intrusion figures were an astounding 3 centimetres or less!! This is significantly less than just about anything the Volvo S60 or BMW 3-series managed. The details are here: http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/grey_midlux.htm

Please watch tonight's Dateline NBC for the crash test footage. What a perfect topic to discuss in tonight's MB chat! :-)

• cticctic Member Posts: 291
    The only wheel cleaner that has EVER worked for me is Meguiar's (which I bought as a 2 pack in Costco recently). Every other single other wheel cleaner I've had to get down on my hands and knees and wipe off. Though my nephew does swear by Simple Green.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I too have been experiencing problems with my key. It fails to lock or unlock the door roughly one in five times. It seems completely random. After a failure, (requiring me to pull out my second key), it will inevitably work the very next time I use it. No hocus pocus such as inserting it into the door 10 times in a row, is necessary in order to get it to do so. In fact, if I have the time to stand there and persistently press the button over and over, it WILL eventually work. Consequently, I don't believe that it has lost it's programning. It's more like it's not consistently transmitting a signal.
  • mzuckermanmzuckerman Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know when this car will be available in the U.S.?
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    anyone see the review on the new 2002 4 cylander coup???..looks intersting!
    I researched this non-abrasive cleaner polish-protector that polishes to "Wet Look" shine and locks into the paint, seals and protects with an elastic non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant acrylic finish.

I spoke to the importer today, and he confirmed that the product is used instead of wax, not in addition to it. Klasse bonds to surface of paint, but does not creep into the paint as does polymer (I don't know which products contain polymer). Evidently, polymer penetrates the paint and causes it to oxidize. It also contains silicone over which you cannot paint.

I like a perfect looking car, but I feel the much acclaimed Zaino process will not work for me. How can I have someone come to my home to detail my car, give him all the different bottles, and have him wait for all the coats to dry?

I was so delighted with the Klasse -- I had the car washed at the "hand" car wash, then came home and put on the Klasse in 10-15 minutes, and there is no drying time. There is also a high-gloss sealant glaze, but if my car was any shinier it would blind oncoming drivers.

All this is probably old info to most of you, but 'tis new to me.

Miki
    Miki:

I'd have to agree with you. I am reluctant to using Zaino because I don't like putting polymers on my paint. I prefer a high quality easy to apply wax. Never heard of KLASSE. Where can I find their products?
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Today I received a quote from my dealer. Here's how the numbers break out:
    240c MSRP w/options - 37,305.00
    Money factor - .00455 (seems rather high)
    Term - 36months
    Millage - 12k year
    Residual - 70%
    Money down - just fees and tag
    Payment - $572.93 w/o tax

I noticed a previous post describing a money factor of .00375. Wow, that would lower my payment $50. With rates dropping, I challenged the finance manager on the rate quoted. I told him I knew someone who was quoted a lease rate of .00375.

He said, Oh? Then preceded to say he didn't know my "credit rating" yet. Once my application was submitted, then the "real" rate would be avialble.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what I might have paid if I didn't say anything.
    Erich, that is crazy. He partly covered his (CYA) butt on the statement of your credit rating.
    But a couple of us got 9 % in early Feb. Give it another week after today's 0.50 rate cut and MBCC will adjust their MF lower, it takes MBCC about 5 business days to adjust their rate after the Fed. based on my dealings with my Salesman.
    djasonw -- You do have a way with words!! :)

Klasse is not available in the usual places, but out here it is carried by some MB and BMW parts/accessories dept.

Below is a car detail website out of Tampa. They carry Klasse All-In-One, as well as other brands. (Klasse also makes wheel cleaner, but with the All-In-One methinks it is not needed).

Actually, I applied the Klasse one day after I had the car washed. I dusted it off lightly with the California Duster. With a cavalier attitude, I poured Klasse on a damp towel, a section at a time, did not bother to do large circles as advised, wiped it off with no particular skill -- and it looked beautiful.

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

(click on the Wax link)

There is an 800 number given, but if you need the name and phone number of the importer in San Francisco, let me know.

Miki

>Actually, I applied the Klasse one day after I >had the car washed.

WRONG!!

Actually, I am having a blonde moment (or two) here. I did NOT wash the car at that time. We had a lot of rain; I had not had a chance to wash the car, and there were rainspots. The car was going to a basketball game and I wanted her to look good. I did dust first with the California Duster, but applied Klasse to remove the water spots and just kept on going and going and going..... and that's my story on how the entire car got Klasse'd

Miki
    No doubt just about all of you have seen the C-class's very impressive performance in tonight's Dateline NBC coverage of the IIHS 40mph offset crash test.

This is how MB responded to the test:
    "We are very pleased with the results of the new C-Class and E-Class in the recent high-speed crash test by the IIHS. It’s very important to our customers and to us. However, we need to emphasize that safety is defined by more than good results in one or two important crash tests at a certain speed. Our goal during the development of the new C-Class was to achieve maximum overall safety in a wide range of collision scenarios.

Our key to further increasing vehicle safety is a comprehensive approach called “The Mercedes-Benz Real; Life Safety Concept.” This involves developing cars for good overall performance in crash safety over a wide range of configurations, based on experience from real-world accident scenes. It also includes the integration of highly sophisticated warning and assistance systems for drivers, which can minimize the risk and severity of accidents as much as possible.

As a followup to our discussion, please be aware that occupant safety is our first priority in designing all Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles. For that reason, the C-Class performed outstandingly well in a recent IIHS offset crash test at 40 miles per hour and, as a result, they are likely to designate the car a “Best Pick.” However, occupant safety would be compromised by reducing the repair cost of the C-Class bumper."

The last line is a bunch of baloney though, and I don't buy it because the Canadian C-class gets 5 mph (8 km/hr) bumpers as per Transport Canada regulations. Does this mean that the Canadian C's are less safe? C'mon!

As an aside, here's something about the IIHS's 40mph offset test. Since it's at a higher speed and at a smaller impact area (40% of the car's front end) than the US NCAP 30 mph full frontal fixed non-deformable barrier test, there is a 78% increase in impact energy.

Drew
    Host
    It's life though and can happen! Don't worry, they (the dummies) are only made of sensors, metal alloys, and vinyl :-) Although they approximate some human motion, they bounce right back after the crash. Just be glad that it's them and not you in there doing the crash testing! How do you think they got the injury numbers from which to build and base the dummies on? That's right...human/cadaver testing.

At least now you know that you're in an extremely safe car and that you will be well protected in the event that some wacko plows into you. I applaud you for trying to find out more information about the head restraints. Most people wouldn't know/wouldn't really care.

Good luck and drive carefully!
    P.S Open the door and have a look at the C-class's door latch (not on the door itself, but the part that is attached to the body of the car. Next, compare it to another vehicle's (non-MB). The differences will be readily apparent. The reason for the MB's patented wedge shaped door latch design is to prevent a door from opening in a crash. Oh yeah...it was invented decades ago ;-)
    Drew -- I felt my post was silly and I deleted it, but you had already replied :)

This past year, I witnessed a very bad crash -- I stopped to let a car make a left turn on a six-lane street. She had been trying to make the turn and no one stopped to let her do so. As she made her turn, a car zoomed up the inside lane of opposite direction and they smashed. It was very bad. I remember how long it took for her body to stop bouncing back and forth between the seatback and the steering wheel. There were no airbags. If I had not stopped to let her make her turn it would not have happened. As you said, it is life. A chance second can make a difference.

It is indeed good to know I am in a safe car. I am thinking how unimportant a few paint chips are in comparison.

Thank you for your kind words.

Miki
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Ian,

That's what I thought.

The finance manager also said MBCC charges higher rates in different regions(Midwest). Is that true? Or, is the dealer charging the highest rate and pocketing the difference?

If I can't get 9% with an excellent credit rating, what should I do?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I couldn't agree more with your concern regarding the correct positioning of head restraints.

In European driving school, the first thing you do after getting into the car is seat adjustment (including head rests) and mirror settings. Where I live (South Carolina), there is almost no such thing as driver's ed, and the license costs you $14.50 without any proof of driver's ed hours or such. Obviously, people here (and worse, the legislation, too) sacrifice driver safety to the all important comfort and life style.

Head rests shouldn't be called that any more, because less bright people (do those exist???) could read that as "place to rest their head comfortably while dozing away". Most drivers in my area have them set to a height which will make them snap their necks upon rear impact. Sometimes I wonder whether you can even get them adjusted high enough on cars like Fords, Buicks () and so on... ...an acquaintance, who rode with me once, insisted on REMOVING the whole thing because it felt "uncomfortable touching his scalp"! No driving with me any more for him...

Thanks for letting me rant, but do never get discouraged in your quest to make driving safer, even if it sometimes feels you're all alone out there.

Tarik
    After watching last evening's Dateline I was amazed at how well the passenger compartment held up after that crash. I wonder how well the car will be in a side impact? Has that type of test on this car been conducted yet? All I can tell you is that I feel SO safe driving this car. I have NEVER been in an accident but at least I know I have a car that will protect me in the event I do.
    Erich, just looked back at Post #1123 and elmb also was in NJ. You are in Minnesota right? There must be more than one MB Dealer in Bloomington ? I would check with a 2nd dealer. Maybe he is correct in saying MBCC charges higher rates in the Midwest, but with the prime interest rate now = 8 % (down 0.5 yesterday) (check Bloomberg.com), 10.9 % sounds too high. You could also lease thru someone else. I had Chase Finance as my last leasing company.
  • sargent4sargent4 Member Posts: 17
    I found this board by accident and am not sure you like or dislike this car. Anyway I am suppose to pick up a Brillant Grey in Paramus on Fri. Think I am getting .00388. My GS300 is not due until April - should I wait and see if I get it lower? Salesman said if I wait until April the residual may go up and I will be paying more?
    Feel very dumb about this. Do you like the c320.
This discussion has been closed.