Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Actually, the flags are meant to represent the country from which you are posting your message from. As Town Hall UK becomes more active, we can then distinguish where the participants are posting from...Town Hall UK or Town Hall North America (the message boards and linked together). They were not intended for you to fly the flag of your choice ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jayonejayone Member Posts: 25
    Hi, I also leased my c320 black c2 cd, through Globe. Was wondering what kind of deal you got. Did you deal with Lisa. I am extremely curious because I think I could have gotten a better deal.
    Thanks!
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    How do I get a Jolly Roger flag? :-)
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    How do you all like the Female voice that directs you with the command option?

Does it sound human?
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Those of you who live in areas where you can find a MB dealer on every block, you'll have a better chance of getting a lower lease rate.

The "best" money factor from MBCC in Minnesota is .00400. That's better than any other lease company(GE, Chase...).

In special markets the rate is .003755. This "special rate" is only avialble to MB dealers in highly competitive markets, which ends April 1st.

If you'll be taking delivery soon, I'd suggest signing your lease agreement early. Risdual values will most likely drop April 1st. Take advantage of the low rate and high residual now.

Good luck!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    For those interested, here's a direct link to our new Mercedes-Benz C320 Wagon discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• itabackitaback Member Posts: 21
    I dealt with Oleg at Globe. My deal is as follows: Billiant Silver C320 with C2,3,4 and 6 (sport package) and CD changer. 36 months, no money down, 10K miles per year (I am a commuter), including tax = $598 per month. What kind of a deal did Lisa give you?
  • oscarsbaoscarsba Member Posts: 2
    Last month, our dealer rep quoted the 4-year residual for a C320, with 12,000 miles/year at 65 percent, and said it would go down March 1.

If you have a comparable lease originating in March, was yours different?
    I got a c320 with c2 and cd for 36 months with 12k a year for $615 month with tax, $0 down. I do pay Ny tax which added to the payment about $25. I guess a couple of bucks doesnt mean much if Im happy with it. I am just one of those people that likes to know they got a great deal. Thanks! (oh and I got an extra cd magazine free, was an accident but I got to keep it)
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    Why lease this car??

Unless you guys are able to take deductions you are getting VERY screwed.

At the end of the lease you will have paid $22,140. That's like buying the car with cash, and then selling it in 3 years for $17,860.

Please enlighten me with your justification for this??? Your also under mileage restrictions the whole time. That's a stressful way to live.

If you can't afford to buy the car, then don't get it. Don't live beyond your means. To many people out there should be investing when they are spending. If you just bought a car you could afford and put the rest of your pay check every month into an investment you would be MUCH better of in 5 to 10 years. Then you could actually afford one of these cars.

Don't get me wrong I have had my share of lease disasters in my past. I have just learned and grown up.
  • anthonyv1anthonyv1 Member Posts: 26
    Calm down, buddy. I think everyone here knows the plus and minuses of leasing versus buying. Some people I know like to lease because they always like to drive a newer car. And yes, they know they are spending more money, but they don't care because they probably can afford it!
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Ha, ha, LOL!

I know about 20 people who did just what you said. They had a lot invested in the stock market. Their net worth is now 50% of what it was 2 years ago. They should have bought a few MB S-classes and Porsches. They would be better off now, and also a lot happier.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    actually..i think people lease because they CANT afford it.. but its each persons personal decision.ive leased in the past..and at times it served my purpose,that being..less out of pocket cash up front.
    I DO know.. that the /$$ ive put into this car.. has held its value moreso than if i had put it into the market.. but 3 yrs ago.. i couldnt have said that...
    that having been said.. consumer confidence was up in feb... so ..lets spend our way out of this bear market...buy it... lease it... just dont squander it!!
  • sargent4sargent4 Member Posts: 17
    Well, I took in my Lexus gs300 this AM and now have the c320. Still not use to it - was very happy with the GS but current model exactly the same and wanted something different. Got it at Prestige - Paramas. 12,000 miles $620 including tax - c2,c3, c4 plus DC. Not too good but really wanted car. What really surprised me was a $350 charge at end of lease - Those that got it at Globe, do you have that? No such thing at Lexus. I could afford to buy but have really liked leasing - two lexus's. Always have new car and no real maintenance problems. Thought about buying this one but this is so much easier.
    Sales guy said 70% are leases and some of these people have big money. Well, key still works.LOL
  • lepinlepin Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know how to clean the wood trim?
    Thanks!!!
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Sargent4,Please keep us posted with a comparison on your new MB,and the "traded in" Lexus. They are both exceptional and the comparison should be interesting. I was the proud owner of one of the first LS400 models delivered in R.I. Fantastic car. 10 years,145000 miles, well anyway, please keep us up yo date. Thanx.
    I use piano polish (which I have at home anyway since I have a piano) on the wood trim and it seems to work well. Others have tried Pledge, and have reported that it works well too. Make sure that it's for veneered/laminated wood though.

Drew
    Host
  • bootfaybootfay Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if any fellow board members purchased their C from European Motors on Van Ness in San Francisco?

If so,
    1). Were you able to negotiate and receive a CD changer (they quoted me $1,100!!) or floor mats?
    2). Were you treated nicely or were they snobbish (as if they didn't care if you bought the car or not)
  • glaxglax Member Posts: 10
    It would be nice to pay for the car in cash, but most people will finance if they don't lease. You would have to compare what the amortization of a loan would be if you financed at the market rate of interest and paid the equivalent of the lease payment of $615. You would have a substantial amount outstanding after three years. If you don't plan on putting a lot of mileage on the car, this will result in leasing looking a lot more attractive than your example. Besides, if I had $40K in cash to spend on a car, I'd use it as a down payment on a S-class, not spending it all on a C.
  • bopeep1bopeep1 Member Posts: 2
    Want to buy a new C240. The Orlando area dealer says they and everyone else sell them for sticker. This $2000+ profit plus their $1500+ holdback is ridiculous. I want to buy the car at invoice cost and they can make their profit from the holdback. Any ideas on what FL dealer will take this deal? Thanks! BOB
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Seriously, leasing is not a bad idea.

Basically, all you are doing is paying for the depreciation of the car during the length of the lease.

Say you lease the car for 3 years. Say the new car is $40K. Say the car will be worth $25K in 3 years time. All you are doing is paying $15K (plus fees and interest) for the privilege of driving it for 3 years. It would be the same as buying the car at $40K and selling it for $25K after 3 years except that you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling it and paying sales tax for the whole $40K. You only pay sales tax for what you use. In my state you are already saving $2150 in tax. And you can walk away at the end of it, or you can buy it.

But it only works for some people and only if they do their homework. I leased my $40K 99C280 for less than $500/month with 0 down. I got a terrific money factor 2 years ago and a high residual.

But you gotta be careful. I used the Edmund's formula to work out what my lease amount would be so I knew what it was. The filthy crook saleman I first saw quoted me about $650/month. He was just trying to rip me off. When I told him that his figures were wrong, he came back in a few minutes and said he made a mistake and quoted me about $550 instead. I took my business elsewhere and got under $500/month for the same car.
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    Sorry BOB don't think your going to catch any fish with that bait! This car is too incredible and his holding its price.

Actually BMW is no different. I just worked out a deal for a BMW 325ci for my sister-in-law. The dealer was more willing to negoite then MB but still very little. I ended up with $1200.00 under MSRP (plus winter floor mats). I was shooting for $1500.00 under. Well we both made out!

But believe me, after comparing the two cars I still think (know) that the MB is worth the extra $$. Feeling is believing.
    Good luck on your quest!

greg@thedailydonut.com
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    Have been shopping for a new I about a month. On the 240, they have quoted me anywhere from 200-400 off of MSRP. On the 320, they have quoted me anywhere from 400-700 off of MSRP. I live in LA so that me be why I can negotiate off sticker. When Any dealer may have from 5-15 cars on the lot, I think I can get a fair deal. I know the
    C is a hot car, but if your ready to buy right away, don't be afraid to walk, another dealer may give you a better offer. I figure I can lease an Aura RL for the same as a basic 320, but who wants an RL anyway.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    I've found that Lemon Pledge is the best for wood trim. Just be sure to use it sparingly.

Jack
    amen glax.... $40 grand...why a c?jump up to an E.. or of possible the S
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    If you want to change out the hood ornament to the hood emblem, the easiest way to do this is to go buy the emblem, use some 3m or equivalent double sided foam tape (vs double sided tape, the foam is about 1.5 mm thick and helps conform to the hood shape) place the foam tape on the underside of the emblem and trim to within 1-2 mm from the edge ( there is a raised lip around the circumference of the emblem). before sticking on the emblem, 1st use small pieces of masking tape to center the emblem top/bottom/sides, the emblem will cover the existing depression with about a 3.5 mm wider radius when centered.
    If anyone wants comparisons of the C320 sport to the C43 (except the torque) just ask.
  • sargent4sargent4 Member Posts: 17
    Well, it took less than 24 hours for my key not to work. So far Acco20 the GS300 looks very good. Live near Prestige - called and one key worked so went there and they supposedly reprogrammed it. Within an hour it did not work but had other key = called and woman gave me Regional Mercedes numbet to call. Spoke to a guy who has C320 with the key problem - drives his wife nuts. Did say should be a fix by Mid April. Also said he does not bother with reprogramming - uses the metal key, sounds alarm and jumps in and stops alarm with bad key. This sounds pretty good especially on a $40000+car. I know little about cars but seems to me the second key will also go bad - true. Also, do any of you have that termination fee at the end of the lease and is there a way to get out of it. Must say when I can get in my car to drive it, people really stare and can tell they think it a beauty. By the way my car has a high serial number - arrived from Germany March 8th. I love the Brilliant Silver.
    Seriously, those with Key problems - aren't you upset? I tried the 10 times in etc. thing and did not get it to work. Live in NJ and they pump gas - is there anyway to keep the car locked while getting gas - we have some nasty neighborhoods. Thank you for this board - sure wish I had found it earlier - sure I would have saved money but hey look at all I lost today in the market!!!
    Hi I too had problems with my key a week after taking possesion. I called mercedes customer service and was told that they are issuing replacement keys try to get your dealer to order you a new set. I did find a good fix to the problem. First stick key into ignition several times until the clicking sound that it makes as you push it in goes away (about 6 times). Then take out , press and hold the lock button while you have that button pressed press the unlock button 5 times repeatedly then let go of both and then press lock once then unlock once, this should make a long lasting temp. fix. I heard that there arent many new key available yet so I have to wait for my new ones. Let me know how it turns out.
  • crazyjcrazyj Member Posts: 1
    Picking up my Brilliant Silver C320 on Saturday (Unloading a'99 Acura TL - great car, but everyone is driving one!)

Didn't get the integrated phone. Dealer said it is a piece of junk and not worth the $2,000. Does anyone know if you can use a Motorola Startac or something else and still use the hands-free function built into the car? I drive 100 miles/day and am on the phone often - hands-free sure would be safer.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    This is another disadvantage of not being able to replace the head unit in this car (yet?). I put a new Blaupunkt in my VW, and it's got an audio input for a phone and the ability to wire a mute function to the stereo so you can attach a hands free kit and hear it through the sound system speakers. Does anyone know if the stock MB head unit has this capability?

Is this head unit the same one in the S and E classes? I would imagine that all their cars will use the same head unit? I wonder if the spec is published, so when enough of these cars get on the road, one of the aftermarket companies could provide their head units.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    When you click on somebody's profile it gives you links to all their most recent posts.

Drew- when did they add this feature? How exactly does it work? I noticed it had my five most recent posts, then when I posted this one it dropped one and added this one. Is that the limit, the 5 most recent posts?
    I just got my first issue of this mag, and I notice in the fine print of an ad for Tele-aid something very interesting!! It says, "Remote unlocking is available on C-Class only as of Dec. 2000 production" Why would they print this if they planned to fix our pre-Dec. cars? I'm really wondering if they plan to fix it at all. If they don't, I won't be buying the ML, I'll go X5! Sorry Drew! LOL I am serious, we love the C, but if MB doesn't make this right somehow our next car will not be an MB. My boss has just ordered a new C and one of her main reasons for doing so was this very feature! It was one of things we used to brag about when we talked to people about the car, we were told we had it just like all the 1000s of other people who bought in September, October, November, and December!
    I've known about this since late December, and the sting had worn off a bit, but now seeing the fine print has brought all the frustation and disappointment back to the surface. It really is a minor issue, I've never locked my keys in any car, but it's something that was advertised and talked up by our dealer. I feel if MB doesn't fix it they ought to gives us free tele-aid renewals as long as we own these cars. That's what I'll be telling MB. Thanks for letting me vent a bit!!! LOL!!
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >I live in LA so that may be why I can negotiate >off sticker. When Any dealer may have from 5-15 >cars on the lot, I think I can get a fair deal.

I live on the Westside of LA and would appreciate knowing which dealers negotiate MSRP on the C320. Will they also discount CD Player and/or chrome wheels 50%? The dealers I have worked with keep a very low inventory and are not in the least bit flexible with sticker price.

Miki
    It was just introduced in the last few days, IIRC. Neat feature, eh! Not sure if many people have noticed though.

If you get the X5, you may also experience your vehicle burning 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles. This is considered normal and within factory tolerances! This doesn't affect only the X5, BTW, other BMW vehicles too. Weird!

I can understand your frustrations about not getting a feature that was supposed to be included and advertised for. I'd keep pestering MBUSA through their 1-800# and see what happens. If you voice your dissatisfaction (especially if you mention something about losing faith in MB and your car), you may get a result. BTW, don't bother with some of the pawns (i.e. marketing people) who answer the 1-800 lines). See if you can get somewhere up the food chain. You may also want to consider writing MBUSA a message via their website. They do respond, though it make take a little while, and if enough of you early build North American C-class owners do, they may let on more info. as to what their plans are WRT a fix.

Drew
    Host
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    The best performance ever in the Euro New Car Assessment Program crash test was turned in this month. The winner is......a French car, the Renault Laguna. This C-Class-sized car protects its occupants better than any other car of any size tested thus far, in the 5 or 6 years since the program began.

The new C-Class will be crashed by EuroNCAP in June of this year. Mercedes-Benz had better hope that they not only match the Renault's 5 star rating, but also exceed/match its 97% score on the frontal impact and 100% score on the side impact.

Don't you just love competition?

Mike
    Dennett,

You might send a Fax to:

Mr. Paul G. Juron, General Manager
    Client Assistance Center
    Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
    Facsimile (201) 476-6211

Miki
    Thanks!! I'll send the fax! I hope all is well with you. Seen any obsidian MBs yet?
    All is well, thank you. I cannot believe there are no Obsidian Blacks being driven here. This surely cannot be -- so I am thinking they look so much like the straight blacks that I cannot tell the difference as I go speeding by.

Miki
    indeed..color such as obsidian blk is difficult to detect from far away.. the metallic sub color is seen when up close and at the right angle.i had a 2000 acura tl.. their only blk is like obsidian..impossible to see untill very close.
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Hey Dennet,
    I just read the "fine" print on the back cover of the new "C" brochure. This may give Mercedes an out for their mistake.....

"All illustrations and specifications contained in this brochure are based on the latest product information available at the time of publication. Mercedes-Benz reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice in colors, materials, equipment, specification and models. Any variations in colors shown are due to reproduction variations of the printing process. Illustrations may include test situation. Some vehicles may be shown with non-U.S. equipment. Some vehicles are shown with optional equipment"

I hope you and others receive some kind of satisfaction from MB.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    MB zone rep says a fix is really in the works.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    Zmeenow's comment on Obsidian Black is correct. It is so close to straight black you really have to get close, and at times, wipe a clean spot to see the metallic difference. I saw an E in Obsidian parked next to a straight black at a dealership and they looked the same from afar. It seems as if there aren't too many C's being ordered in the Obsidian Black. My dealer looked on some report of cars "on the sea" and at the dock to do an exchange but could not find an Obsidian 320 coming to the S. Cal area any time soon so, I have to keep waiting till mid-May. Brilliant Silver he could get within 2 - 3 days. It could be the closeness in color to straight black makes it difficult to justify an additional $625 in some cases.
  • tclawtclaw Member Posts: 23
    It's understandable that Mercedes would fail in its first attempt to build cars with remote unlocking and, yes, it may have protected itself legally with its disclaimers, but it's truly disgraceful that a company that prides itself on quality and customer satisfactioon doesn't have the decency to let the first 59,000 customers know that the heavily promoted feature doesn't work. Those of us on this board know, but how many people will find out the hard way? It is for this lack of communication that MB deserves to be heavily criticized.
    I won't try to install them until this weekend, may even be next week, we've got a busy weekend planned. I'll let everyone know how it goes! I think I'm going to install just one first so that I can compare the difference. One of my bulbs was loose in the packaging like other posters have said, I think it may be caused by customs guys inspecting it. My box had been opened and then resealed with tape saying, "Examined" and "Customs Service" The others have said theirs still worked so I'm assuming mine will too.
    >My dealer looked on some report of cars "on the >sea" and at the >dock to do an exchange but could >not find an Obsidian 320 coming to >the S. Cal >area any time soon so, I have to keep waiting >till mid->May.

There will be two Obsidian 320's headed for Southern California in mid-May -- I hope we are both lucky enough to receive them in "perfect" condition.:)

Miki
    Zmeenow -- Re Obsidian Black -- if it looks black I will be happy -- the blacker the better. Thank you for your reply.

Miki
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    If customs had any chance of touching those bulbs, please remember to wipe them clean with some good rubbing alcohol. The oil from someone's hand will cause a premature failure of those bulbs.
    rainers, yes I was planning on it. It seems they may have touched the bulb that is loose. Thanks for mentioning it though.
    >yes, it may have protected itself legally with >its disclaimers, but it's truly disgraceful that >a company that prides itself on quality and >customer satisfaction doesn't have the decency >to let the first 59,000 customers know that the >heavily promoted feature doesn't work.

There may be disclaimers in the "C" catalogue, but before the product is purchased, the customer should also be advised that certain things in the catalog are not available on the car as represented. If the customer still wants to buy the car, then the manufacturer should have the customer's signature on a form that states the customer has been advised of what is not available. In my case, for example, the dealer was out of catalogs when I purchased the 320 and I received it at a later date and after the purchase.
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    Well it seems the new models are coming in earlier than ever. My salesman at Clair Motors, Rick, passed on to me a newsletter that states the following:

2002 models will start production as of the 3rd decade of MAY, in other words from about May 20th onwards for cars coming from Germany. This means we shall see the new models here in July.

The 2002 SL's (last year for this body) are already being produced and are available as standard and the special silver arrow package that has been widely publicised. 1400 silver arrow SL 500's will be made only 100 SL 600 silver arrows will be made.

2 color changes to report - as of sept 1st glacier white changes to alabaster white and aspen green changes to everest green. Whether this means there is no glacier white or aspen green form the start of MY 2002 production till sept 1st or there is until sept 1st is not clear as yet.

designo - for MY 2002 slate blue on the CLK is no longer available, at this point it does not say what the replacement will be. Also, Goldenrod and copper packages are scrapped on the SLK, again no replacement news yet.

There are already productions slots showing for 2002 E class 4matics, these are being built as of the 2nd decade of may. They get built earlier as they are shipped to Austria I believe to have the 4 matic installed.

ML 430 is replaced by ML 500, I have the option pricing on the 2002 but not the standard changes as yet. The 2001 MY prodution ends mid June on MLs and the MY 2002 production starts up July 1st.

Dealers will start getting produciton slots on MY 2002 cars as of tomm, thus, full product ordering guides will be coming in any time now. Rick will pass on to me any info he gets and I will post immeadiately.

By the way he has a 2001 silver/charcoal CLK 55 he is selling at MSRP, the car is brand new. It was something to see my 55 next to that one, 2 CLK 55's next to each other, a rare site indeed.

Nabzy
This discussion has been closed.