Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    For the "A" word.. please use tooshy.

For the "B" word.. please use darn female dog

NO substitute for "F" word

For the "S" word.... please use Clinton

etc....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A whole entire better idea than worrying about what to substitute for what is let's just talk about the cars, and pretend your small child is in the audience. We surely remember that we have been taught somewhere along the way better language skills than outright and veiled profanity, don't we?

Give it a rest folks, and just move on.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I'd have to agree. These are Edmund's rules. Please respect them enough to follow them.

Back to the C. Has anyone got any info on the 2002 changes for the C? Apparently, the salesfolks have the list of changes for the 2002 ML already (and a nice list it is ;-)
    Anyone friendly enough w/ a salesperson to coax the info out?
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    havent seen anything specific about the new c sedan... but..i did get the mercedes magazine.. had an article about the new coupe.. looks nice! also had some interesting articles about new"distronic" system that keeps car from tailgating!! currently being introduced on the 2002 s type.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    I recently got the German market brochure and pricelist for the C-Class wagons (incl. C32 wagon). Anyway, one interesting option listed is the "SEQUENTRONIC" 6 speed sequential manual gearbox (SMG), with auto-shift mode.

It costs half of the regular 5 speed automatic gearbox in Germany: 1604 DM versus 3305 DM. Using a similar ratio in Canada, that means the SMG should cost as little as $750 CDN as an option. That is, until the marketing people get their hands on it and probably mark it up over here beyond all reason (as they've done with some other options).

Nevertheless, I wonder if this option is planned for North America this year.
  • rkrugmanrkrugman Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the process of buying a new car and am strongly considering either the C240 or C320. One of the things I am a bit concerned about is how the car drives in winter weather.

Has had the opportunity to drive this car in winter conditions (snow and ice)? If yes, could you please let me know how the car handled, for example does it get stuck alot because of RWD?
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    Want to buy a c320, however dont want the sport package, just want the rims on the sports package. Does anyone know the cost of just rims, I believe the tire size is the same on the basic C320. Thanks for the help!
    i found that my 240 drove reasonably well in the snow.whats reasonalbly?.there was no less traction than with a frint wheel car.. the esp keeps the car on course...little or no fishtailing.does it drive like a 4x4? no.. not at all.. but.. after having driven a 2000 acura tl// id say that it handles very close.of course knowing when to stay in 2nd or 3rd gear... as well as sensible acceleration from a stop are all part of a good driving experience in bad weather.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    If you fit the C with set (or 4) good winter tires such as the Michelin Arctic Alpins, you should be able to move around in most places and up to 10%-15% grades. This is all unless there is deep snow of course, in which case you should stick to plowed roads. The stock all-season tires are only good for small amounts of snow, despite ESP keeping the vehicle pointed straight.

FYI, the 4-matic AWD option will be available on the C-class for the '03 model year (fall of 2002).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    I just took delivery of my new c320 on Saturday, and the sunroof is not working at all. All it does is tilt, and it does not open. Called dealer this morning, and they said it is caused by some kind of computer programing. Does anyone here have the same experience? I am taking it back there tonight, and hope it is a easy fix. I am planning to put 17x7.5 wheel, and is 225/45/17 the only size that fits correctly, or I can go with 235/45/17 for better grips? Thanks everyone in advance for inputs.
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    I read in the 30 lb. book that there is a vent you can open and shut to keep the console cool. I have looked at the diagram and got a flashlight and still cannot figure how to open the vent. Anyone know the secret?
    Thanks
  • akgeminiakgemini Member Posts: 1
    I heard from a dealer over the weekend that MB may be shipping the 2002 C320 with a manual transmission. If so, I am sold. Any one else heard this?
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    Some of you might be interested in getting the May issue of "Consumer Reports" in which they test the BMW 330i, Lexus IS 300,Mercedes C320 and the Volvo S60. My copy arrived today. The cars finished in the order I have printed them above. They had some nice things to say about all of them, but seemed to like the Bimmer the best. I would guess the magazine should hit the stands in a week or so.
    i just had my 240 in for tem to look at it re sunroof problems.. they had to "resynch" the switch.... whatever.. it works now!
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Ratings from Consumer Reports do not mean a thing to me. All these ratings are so subjective. If a person wants to buy a Volvo, he/she is going to buy a Volvo whether it finishes 1st or 10th in a "test".

Car and Driver always has a bias for the "sporty" car, so BMW always wins even though the car may have no trunk space, no passenger knee room, or a horrendous reliability problem.
    by the time one gets to this level of auto,, the differences can become subtle.. al o the cars rated a very good cars! the final choice is subjective andpersonal.. but i have little doubt the beemer is a pretty good car... they have a loyal following. just gimme my benz
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    Are you referring to the arm rest/storage compartment? If so, the lower compartment (the larger) has air vents inside at each side to keep things cool/warm. It has a little knob that opens and closes the vents. It is requested that you do not keep anything in front of these vents to block the air.

Miki
  • wannabenzwannabenz Member Posts: 2
    max63,
    my guess is that the rims are 400 to 500 dollars a. I wanted a full sized alloy for a 1986 audi 4000cs quattro and it was about $350. The rims are the same size as the standard ones. id' wait until the dealership has some "takeoffs"they'll be much cheaper.
  • wannabenzwannabenz Member Posts: 2
    I don't put much stock in consumer reports either. and, yes the bmw's do get the nod on occasion. just do your home work,get what you like/want and with a little luck you'll be happy.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I"m slinking in here to comment on the sport wheels. max63- I've seen the C240/320 sport wheels, same for either model, on ebay multiple times. I think you could get them with their original tires, 225/55 16 instead of the standard 205/55, for the $500-$700 range. I passed on a set that never sold at $500, and since then I've seen at least 3 others. I've also seen people offering them for sale at MBWorld.net. You may also consider the wheels from an SLK or the 2000 and newer CLK, the earlier CLK rims are ugly in my opinion, they'll all go right on a C320. I've seen these whells sell in that same price range. The ultimate C rims would be the AMGs from a CLK430, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!
  • californiaheatcaliforniaheat Member Posts: 1
    Max,
    To answer your question about purchasing a C320 with the sport wheels. I purchased my C320 with the sport wheels and the dealer out in Southern California where I bought mine charged me an additional $800 for the wheels. You can order any wheel for your car for an additional charge. AMG supplies many of the wheels for the Mercedes models. I personally didnt like the wheels that are standard on the C320 so I opted for the sport wheel. But you can select any of the other wheels that are the same size. Good luck in negotiating a price.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    Consumer Reports tends to look upon cars as appliances. I'm surprised they didn't pick Volvo as the top choice.

Jack
  • sjsubumsjsubum Member Posts: 6
    I don't care for the stock rims either. I bought a set of sport rims and tires for $850 on ebay last week. This set came from a C320 Sport package and has about 1000 miles on it, virtually brand new. The seller is from my area (San Francisco) so, I avoided the shipping costs. These 5-spoke sport rims come with 225-50-16 Michelin Pilot tires. These sport rims look much better than the stock in my opinion. I am hoping to sell my stock 7-spoke rims and tires for $500 to $600.
  • gerrymurraygerrymurray Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    Well, after doing my "homework" I've decided
    on a 2001 C240 with the sports package. I plan
    to see a dealer (on Long Island) by the end
    of April. I know there's a 4+ month wait ..but
    I can wait.
    A (now distant) second was the Lexus is300 -
    third being an i30, fourth a beemer 330i. The MB *6 speed manual* and the features that are packed in as 'standard' on this car, plus, the fact that
    it's a Merc for goodness sake, clinched it.
    BTW, does anyone - who got the sports package -
    have the time to tell me what TYPE of tires
    come on the 5-spoke rims (Michelin?).

TIA,

Gerry
    (My other car is a Contour SVT)
    just got back from House of Import, and they fixed my sunroof in less than a hour. they said it was some kind of program issue. before c320, I tested both 330i and is300. a new 330i costs about the same as c320, but BMW does not even have homelinks and alarm come as standard. I do wish my c320 come with cd player rather than tape, but this gives me excuses to fix the sound system. good luck to all.
    You will most likely get the Michelin Pilot tires. Great in the dry and wet, but terrible in the snow (they're not all-seasons), so be prepared to switch all 4 for winter tires such as the Michelin Arctic Alpins as the winter season approaches.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    my c320 non-sport comes with pirelli p6 now instead of Michelin or Continental. I would guess the sports package will come with P6 or better. Too bad I have a set of 17' Borbet with Protezas waiting to be installed, otherwise I would keep the stock.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    Dennett:

I was about to ask you why you selected 15w50 Mobil 1 to take into the dealer for an oil change. Then I wandered into my local WalMart and found that the only choices were 0w30, 10w30, and 15w50, so I got the 15w50. As cold as it gets in San Diego is as cold as I want to get. I called MB of SD and they quoted me slightly different prices, but I suspect the guy was talking off the top of his head. He did go look at their drum of Mobil 1 and reported that it was 0w40.

Tom
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    Drew:

You seem to have most, if not all, the answers. When I am on the Edmunds boards at home, IE on Windows 98 knows which is the last message I saw on a given board and takes me to the next in line. At work, using IE and Windows 95, when I select a given board on my Favorites list, it always goes to the same message and I have to manually skip to the end of the message list, and then have to back up to the last message I can remember. What am I doing wrong with the setup??

Thanks for the help...

Tom

About This Chat:

Be our guest for an hour of Town Hall Chat Brake! Here is your chance to meet and greet other auto fans. This chat is for those of you who share similar interests, have questions and need answers, or simply want a place to discuss and debate your News and your Views of the auto industry. Bring your sense of humor and race on in to this NEW chat only on Edmunds.com!

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    Just wanted to thank everyone for information on the wheels!
  • spndxspndx Member Posts: 36
    Can anyone provide guidance on how to post pictures to this site? I just got my Euro delivery pictures back and would like to share a couple.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    In order to post pictures, you will first have to upload them to an online photo album. Most of us use http://www.photopoint.com, where you can sign up for free virtual album space.

You can then either post a link to the album (just log on to the album, copy and paste the album's URL from the address line on top of the screen into your TH message and everyone can go there), or you can select a certain picture, click on "link to this picture" beneath the image, copy the displayed picture link and insert it BETWEEN THE QUOTATION MARKS of the beneath HTML code line, which you place in your TH post. You also need to replace both round parenthesis with the pointed ones:

(img src="")

After you post, the picture will be "pulled" into your message. Don't worry if it doesn't work the first time around, you can always delete the post and try again.

Good luck,

Curious at your pix Tarik

Instead of fighting with my keyboard to be able to keep up with everybody during chat-hour, I decided to post a little.

This is whacky, but probably legitimate for 420 hp and 0-60 in 4.9 sec... ...and a gazillion $$$

What can I say, it's hard to beat a C...

I would love to be locked in at this place for a weekend, of course only if there is a back door large enough for a car to fit... <G>

Daydreaming Tarik

Thanks Tarik. I'll give it a shot.

My C1/2/4 Capri Blue 6-speed awaits at the Sindelfingen Delivery Center...

img src= "See my photo, web2 at PhotoPoint"
    Thanks Tarik. I'll give it a shot.

My C1/2/4 Capri Blue 6-speed awaits at the Sindelfingen Delivery Center...

img src= <"a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1627587"&a=12438582&p=45668339>See my photo, web2 at PhotoPoint
    I take the car in the forground is your's, beatiful, congrats (I am green from envy, BTW)!

As to your last message, here is what you need to change:

1. Remove the pointed bracket in front of the first quotation mark, and place it before the letter i of img

2. Erase everything (even spaces) EXCEPT THE QUOTATION MARK between the first equal sign and the letter h of http

This will pull your pic!

Tarik
    Tom, the prices I mentioned at MB of SD included the ML loaner fee of $10, for gas supposedly and I drove well over a 100 miles, and the oil filter fee of something like $13. The oil change alone was only about $22 so it was the loaner and filter that brought it up to $45. They told it would be $95 if they supplied the Mobil 1!!!!! Let me know what they charge you. I went with the 15/50 because it's what nearly everybody I've spoken to recommends, especially for our part of the country. It's what Drew uses and he's in Canada!
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    go here for the C 2002 order guides...no options on the C 32 yet, but more thank likely it will just be comand, metallic paint, phone and cd:

for C class:

http:
    //content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=get_album&ID_Community= CLKOwnersDiscussion&ID_Topic=74

no spaces
    for 2002 CLK change the 74 to 72
    for 2002 SLK change the 74 to 73
    for 2002 E change the 74 to 75

will post others soon:

Nabzy
    http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=get_album&ID_Community=CLKOwnersDiscussion&ID_Topic=74

I found this posted elsewhere by nabzy, hope he doesn't mind me posting it here! Very interesting info, but nothing new for the C240/320, except for a new white and green color. Not sure if they're all new colors or new names for the old ones, the old green and whites are gone for 02.

I must have been reading the guide while he posted. I'll leave the link for everybody to click on. Thanks for great inside info nabzy!! Keep it coming!
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    When When when....

I am #1 on the list but they won't give me any details.

What has your dealer told you?
    ...just under 12,000 miles on my 240.. other than the squeaky drivers seat(fixed).. and a sun roof that needed a bit of tweeking... its been trouble free... fun driving... weather warming up... sun roof open.. stereo cranked!!car actualy staying clean for 4-5 days at a time!!whoooeee!!
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Wow Randall, your Capri Blue & Oyster int. looks awesome !!! I hope you have more pics ?!! Post them or the Link to your photo album in the Photo Gallery sub topic under the MB C-Class Owners link at the top of this page. Karen also describes how to post pictures in Post #1 there. There are only 5 posts in the Photo Gallery, make yours #6. Beautiful C 240 !!! and it arrived yesterday in Baltimore on the "SS Abata".
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    After review of the new for 2002 stuff on the C it appears that the power seats on the 320 are no longer standard. I guess it is a good thing to get in under the wire for 2001 if they are important to you. New package C1 is listed in the updates previously posted as links.

Glad I got in when I did as the memory feature is wonderful.

JR
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1316555&a=12436553&f=

Check it out, the C32 sounds awesome! Some guy at bimmer.org posted this, I doubt he'll mind if we all take a look!

Is it just my computer, or is this forum taking forever to load? It works fine for other threads at Edmunds, just not this one.

• nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Yes, this page is taking forever to load. Too many graphics perhaps.

Yes, it does appear that the power seats ($1200) are no longer standard on the C320. Does anyone know the new base prices for the 240 and 320? If they have lowered the price by $1200 and made the seats optional, that's one thing. But if they have kept the 240 vs. 320 price spead the same, and now you've got to pony up $1200 more for the seats, that's a total ripoff. Demand for the 320 appears to be much less than the 240, and this will only make it worse. I was toying with the idea of going with the 320, but this may push me back to the 240 for sure. No standard CD or power seats for close to $40K, no way...
    though there are times i wish i had full power seats(i have the 240)... for the most part.. i think tht mb has designed the semi power seats well... the mechanical part works easily and smoothly.. and compliments the power portion well.. it does seem ,also that the power seats are one of the more frequently occuring malfunctions... so... if you are the only driver... is it worth it??
This discussion has been closed.