Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >Did you also know you have a trunk release >switch inside the trunk. Something you'll never >need until you find yourself locked inside your >trunk. :)

sirus -- No, I did not know that either - daah!! I do have friends who hide rifles in their trunk in case they are hijacked/robbed and locked in their own trunk. Now, if their car is new and the hijacker does not know about the trunk release, they can let themselves out. Someone I know was taken from his home and locked into the kidnapper's trunk -- now, if the kidnapper had a new car and did not know about the trunk release... :) There needs to be a Federal Law stating all kidnappers must drive new cars.

Miki
  • bootfaybootfay Member Posts: 5
    I put a deposit on a C240 a while ago and the car I am getting does not have the premium leather package. I am wondering if anyone has any pictures of a C w/o the leather.

Also, if anyone can share their thoughts and insights on the pros and cons of the leather. I heard that leather doesn't last as long, and that there really isn't much difference in look between the leather vs. non-leather.

Any thoughts and pics would be greatly appreciated.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    unless ya GOTTA have the smell of leather... dont spend the extra $$..in my opinion the tex interior is very hi quality.. and no one will ever know the difference
    miki.. kidnappings!?..carjackings!? hijackings!?
    rifles in teh trunk!!?? holy moly!!! where you live? beirut??????
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    We got it in our C320 but, in retrospect, I should have saved the money. I have been in C's without leather and the difference is tiny. So now, when your C arrives, you can take the wife out to a fine dinner with a good bottle of wine using the money you saved on the leather option - a much better use of the bucks!
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Beirut? No, LA probably!

The standard interior has leather seating surfaces, is that right? It's just not a full leather seat and does not have the leather door inserts, is that correct?
    thats my understanding of the seating surfaces.. the perforated areas are real leather...
    financial reports today... that bmw sales are up 10% over last yr to date! i imagine mb sales would show somewhat of a similar trend.(anyone have a handle on mb #'s year to date?)
    i guess that would dispell any questions that had been brought up a few weeks ago by a disbelieving shopper that thought mb was insane for inflating their prices in a bad economy.
    unless maybe bmw is selling their cars at bargain prices... i would seem to doubt it.. i have heard their pricing has been more liberal due to the increased competition from mb.
  • 4murphy4murphy Member Posts: 20
    The dealer informed me today that the problem with my car not starting,ie: key would not turn, is a faulty EIS(electronic ignition switch).

I sent a message to the field representative in Chicago requesting a meeting with him about my car.

I was informed by the dealer that they could only remember a EIS failure once before and it was on an E.

I hope that the problem is isolated to my car and that the rest of you do not encounter being stranded because of a faulty EIS.

The part has to be programmed to the computer on my particular car and hopefully it will be in Tuesday.

I had a long conversation with the owner of the dealership; he implied that I had to talk to Mercedes to get any satisfaction.

I called my lawyer tonight to read to him a Ad that I planned to put in the paper on Sunday regarding my C for sale, just to make sure that I don't libel Mercedes.

Anyone out there interested in a 2001 C class with 4500 miles that has had 4 brake repairs, a power mirror, a power window, a seat belt chime and a EIS repair that required the car to be towed to the dealer, leaving the owner stranded at home. Plus there are also numerous paint chips.
    And of course there is the lousy Mercedes service to go along with this vehicle. Price $35,000
    >miki.. kidnapping!?..carjackings!? hijacking!?
    >rifles in the trunk!!?? holy moly!!! where you >
    >live? beirut??????

Gary -- 'tis how it is in the slums of Beverly Hills!!! Much more profitable for the criminals. But I live in Brentwood, a much better neighborhood. Our claim to fame is OJ and a few murders, and carjackings during daylight hours..

Miki
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Aren't you just sabotaging your own ad? If your ad is so close to be libelous that your lawyer needs to see it first, why even bother posting it?

Your think anyone is going to answer an ad like that? If you truly want to wash your hands off it, you might be better off getting MB to take it off your hands under the lemon law.
  • boredyboredy Member Posts: 19
    I am a bimmer enthusiaist at heart. However I love Benz and decided to get the C320.

I got my delivery in Jan and I have none what so ever complains of any problems with the car except for the ticking noise when car is idle.

After a week's of ownership, I got restless with the car and thought about changing the shocks, springs to give a better handling. Now that my car has about 2.5k miles, I am thinking of changing the above mentioned.

Can anyone please give me a suggestion of what to get? First of all I want to have more road feel, better handling at tight corners at high speed. This C class rolls quite a lot.. Umm.. I was asked to get Belstein shocks and Eibach springs. The ride I am looking forward to after changing is somewhat like the bimmer's 330. Well.. less harsh I suppose. I want to be able to preserve the benz's comfort and yet at the sametime, able to take tight corners without the excessive roll.

Please, help and any suggestions would be great.
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    I have the premium leather on my MY2000 C230K. and am glad I went for it. The interior looks and smells great. For the money you get leather everywhere, including seat backs, seat back pockets, headrests and door trim. Much nicer than the standard interior and well worth the money, IMHO.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    You'll have a hell of a time convincing anyone to take your C off your hands for $3500, never mind $35,000 with the sort of ad that you seem to be planning.

Maybe a period of reflection would be good. Give the car, once repaired, another chance. You did, after all, buy a first-year production model. Other than the EIS, the problems seem to be minor. Once the bugs have been sorted out under warranty, you'd probably get lots of reliable service from the car.

I do have to say, though, that your dealings with the MB dealer sound pretty poor. Consider taking it somewhere else, if you keep it.
  • lennyk1313lennyk1313 Member Posts: 7
    WOW! Well I finally picked up my C240 yesterday. I still can’t believe I already have it. The car is great, the ride and the look. I went with Silver and Charcoal, with 6 speed, C2 and CD. Love the color combo. When I picked it up I did not want to go home, just wanted to keep driving, but to my disappointment it started to rain very hard so that kind of took the fun and enjoyment out, well hopefully today it wont rain. I will have pictures posted pretty soon.
  • lennyk1313lennyk1313 Member Posts: 7
    I didn't get a Leather Package in my car, but I drove in one that had it, and tell you the truth I didn't see much difference. If one does not know that it’I not a full leather I don’I think they will be able to see the difference. I didn't.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I opted for the C320 with the sport package and I would NOT change any component of the suspension. If you have the non-sport you should have went with the Bimmer to obtain the driving attributes you so desire. They really are DIFFERENT cars. However, now that you have the Benz, there are mods to get it close to what you would deem optimal. Good luck!
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I would have to disagree that full leather is better. I happen to have full leather (sport package comes with full leather) and though it's nice, the MB tex is better as it wears better. The only nice consolation is the smell. Other than that... it is NOT worth the extra money.
    i must be a rank amateur..! ive taken exit ramps at 55mph.. the amount of roll was so little!!...i ws amazed... but then again... maybe im just easily pleased..i dunno
  • nelsonb1nelsonb1 Member Posts: 2
    Our salesman convinced us not to get the leather seats. He said it was a waste of money since they looked the same. I have to agree.
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    Leather vs vinyl is a personal decision. The leather interior will last for a long time if you clean and condition twice a year. As far as leather and vinyl looking (and feeling) the same, I strongly disagree. The leather door panel inserts really dress up the interior. And the vinyl seatbacks, headrests and seatback pockets feel out of place in a luxury car. Then again, I'm not a big fan of vinyl shoes or coats either.
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    1. Sunroof won't open or close; all it does is tilt. Dealer worked on it for 2 hour, and they blamed a software program that need to be re-done.

2. Tick noise when idle. Took a while to get used to. Must be a good reason for turning on the music loud.

3. Passenger side mirror does not tilt down any more. Tried to set everything back to factory default, and it does not correct anything.

4. Easy exit only works on steering wheel, not on the seat position.

5. Remote trunk opening is not working, so have to open it with actual keys.

6. High insurance and monthly payment.( that I have to live with anyway. )

Everything else is fine so far, and I am still happy with my decision not to get a BMW330i since they are being made in South Africa now.

Anyone please comment as you wish! Best luck to all!
  • dvancaodvancao Member Posts: 13
    Hi all. First post.

Ordered a C240 on 3-24-01. Build date is 5-8-01.
    Brilliant Silver/Charcoal, 6-speed manual, C1-4, Bose, Xenon, CD-changer.
    Paying MSRP.

Tested a C240 with automatic and it had enough power, so getting the manual
    should be plenty. By the way, I also ride a sportbike, so most cars are no
    big deal for me on acceleration. If you care about acceleration, try a sportbike.

As for leathers, I could not tell the difference.
    We have a Mercury Mountaineer with leather/vinyl and can't tell the difference ether.
    So, I could NOT justify the $1375 for it.
    in disbelief at the number minor..yet unnecessary and annoying defects in the reports!i had the problem with the sunroof... though intermittantly.. it needed to be"resynched" as the dealer called it
    the next 3 probems have to do with the seat memory/easy exit/mirror syndrome... seems as if that whole system needs to have some gremlins worked out... have to say... especially since im the only driver.... glad i didnt opt for that!!re the trunk... hold the fob release button for about 5 seconds and see oif that works.. there is definately a delay from the time the buttom is pushed
    i wish i had a chance to test drive the stick!
    the salesman talked me out of even watinng for one to becoame available.. must be fun to drive!!!!

have fun!
    Sorry to miss another chat -- there is a basketball game tonight and I leave the house before five.

Miki
    please! dont forget to take the uzi to the basketball game!!!!

:=PPPP
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I still remember 1-2 years ago on Edmunds when people were wondering if the new C-class would have a lot of little 1st year problems. And some said better for a year before getting the new C for the problems to shake themselves out. Guess it's true.
  • mmoskovitzmmoskovitz Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I walked into Brandy wine Motorcars in Southeastern Pennsylvania and received a discount.

They had a plain C240 (29 miles on the odometer) in basic black, charcoal interior, automatic, C-1 power seat & steering wheel and C-8 heated seats & head lamp washer. They discounted the car by the price of the C-4 package ($800), matched the Navy Federal Credit Union interest rate of 6.9% for five years.

They said they were dealing because our car lacked the C-2 sunroof package. According to our salesman, Bill Gallgher, our model was ordered without the C-2 sunroof package by accident. I'm 6' 3" and I actually wanted one without the sunroof. Without the sunroof they were having a hard time moving it. I think it also helped to come in on the last Saturday of the month.

Other notes;
    150 miles and the brakes are still quiet.
    My key has become hit and miss.
    Drives like a dream. I've always wanted a rear wheel drive car. I always wanted a 190 2.6 16 valve. I worked, I waited, I drove my last car for ten years. I got it! I don't understand how people can compare the C-240 with any front wheel drive car. I grew up driving Subarus, Nissans, VW and Honda. I hate CV joints, boots and anything related to them! I can't believe how many safety and performance features that were only available on the I cars have trickled down to the I cars.

Now my questions; I there a single in dash compact disc player that complement the existing radio/steering wheel controls available?

Thanks for reading, Michael
    I would guess that the factory radio was made by Becker. So far, none of the audio stores that I contacted has anything that works with steering controls. I did called BeckerUSA, and they sell cd changers for new c-class. The factory cd changer is made by Alpine, and Becker cd changer will not run the "random" mode. Does anyone have the part number for the Alpine OEM changer that will fit in the glove box? Is there a on-line DIY guide for installation? Thank you!
  • itabackitaback Member Posts: 21
    Is anyone else having problems setting the side mirrors? Obviously it is personal preference, but I just cannot find a comfort zone for the mirrors. Just curious.

Otherwise, the car is fantastic. 1200 miles and no problems (knock on wood). I wonder if some people are mistaking faulty key issues with the fact that this key only works well at very short distances from the car. I had the same issue with my '99 C230 Kompressor. Basically you have to be next to the car for the key to open the locks consistently.
    actually.. i can unlock/lock my car from inside my house..maybe... 30 yrds??
    on the other hand.. to activate the remote open close windows/sunroof..you must have the key in an unobstucted path to the infrared sensor on the door handle..and point the key

re cd player...go to claireparts.com.. they are an mb dealer in the boston area.. sell all availble stock prts for mb.. at very competitive prices! also.. they have REAL LIVE PEOPLE to answer all your questions!
    >please! dont forget to take the uzi to the >basketball game!!!!

LOL. I am safe at the game, unless I disagree with how a play is called! I park in a secured area, but the drive back and forth is hazardous.

Miki
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I hope to make it tonight! I'm in LA right now, Miki's part of the woods, and using my inlaws 28.8 modem and AOL, we'll C how it works with the chat! If I don't make it you'll know that I had computer problems!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The ticking noise is completely normal for these engines. However, it is more prevalent on some cars than others. Interestingly, I noticed that it was louder as I approached the end of my FSS interval (under 1000 kms to Service A) and was told by a MB tech that the oil change would probably reduce it significantly or eliminate it completely. After the service A (note that this is for my ML320), which included the Mobil 1 15W50 oil change, the noise vanished.

Did you set the mirror control switch to the right side mirror? If you don't do this, the mirror will not tilt down when reverse gear is selected.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    to minimize(or eliminate) the "clicking" noise... change oil every 3,500 miles!!! probably should anyways!i never had it... but... i DO change oil every 3,500 miles
    In my humble opinion, changing the oil that frequently, especially since it is now synthetic that doesn't break down the way mineral oil does, would be a waste. The modern engines (especially MB's) are so clean and efficient that it is unnecessary. Don't forget that the FSS computer does take many parameters into account, and does constantly monitor the cleaniless of the oil and its viscosity. The FSS counter is then adjusted to reflect your real world conditions.

My previous message was not meant to indicate that you should change the oil more frequently because it may reduce the noise, but rather an interesting correlation. As mentioned before (and Ian will be able to clarify this), it is a design characteristic.
    dealer is charging $45 for oil change.. i cant imagine at that price its synthetic?!
  • awdbenzawdbenz Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone received a recent status on AWD on the C-Class? When can I order?
    It is supposed to be synthetic for all FSS equipped MBUSA vehicles as that is what MB approves and recommends only now. If you follow the FSS recommendation, it will be covered under the free 4 year maintenance and you won't have to pay anything at all. You can bring your own Mobil 1 15W50 since the cost is far less than what MB charges for the same stuff. In fact, many service advisors even recommend that you do this!
    You can place a deposit to take your spot in the line anytime you wish, I'd imagine, but the 4-matic C-class sedan and wagon will not be available till late fall of 2002. Actually many dealers don't even know of this yet.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    i know i get a free service every 10,000 miles or so... call me old fashioned? ;)
    mine doesnt even click.. i just feel better
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Drew answered your issue with the passenger side mirror not working. I just figured this one out myself today. I couldn't understand why my side mirror worked then stopped. Make sure the mirror adjustment selector button is selected(pushed-in)like you would when adjusting the passenger side mirror. If not, it won't tilt down in reverse.

Your other issue with entry/exit feature only effecting the steering wheel...... First, I'm assuming you selected "steering wheel and seat" from the convienece menu.

Here's what worked for me. Select and hold one of your preset memory selections until everything stops. Then, the easy entry/exit feature should work. For some reason when I changed the seat setting from where it was programed, the steering wheel only adjusted for the entry/exit feature.
    Just got my property tax bill, and it is due Today! Called LA county Tax Collector, and was told today is the date or pay penalty tomorrow. $2200 for 1st installment!!! Here goes the money for my rims!
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    I'm not sure who posted the message about checking out clair parts on line but thanks. I found it and they seem to have a lot of stuff for MB. You can purchase the CD with mounting bracket and cables for less then $500. Not bad ... Here is the link. http://www.clair.com/mb_index.htm

leather vs. MBtex ... I optioned for the MBtex but I really like the feel, smell and looks the all leather interior gives you. Especially the door panels ... a much "richer" look. I would say if thats what you want go for it. Thats why your buying the MB right?

Enjoy .... greg@thedailydonut.com

is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html
  • at59wellat59well Member Posts: 3
    As per my earlier note on this subject, my problems with the elctronic key to lock and unlock the car are simply getting worse. There is very little sympathy from the dealer and MBUSA are more or less saying yes it's a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I am a pragmatist, and I love this car, everything the rest of you say about performance, ride, and style is 100% correct. The after sales and customer service is pathetically wanting, and certainly not what you would expect.

However, it is a problem when you have to lock all the doors manually, and as a result the alarm is not set. Coincidentally, not unlike 4murphy, I have consulted a lawyer and arranged for him to attend the dealership on Thursday morning. I don't suppose it will change much as the arrogance of the dealer and MBUSA is astonishing. This is my 3rd Mercedes, the last 2 had their occasional problems and the dealer I used on that occasion was forever helpful.

Can't say the same in this case, even when this problem is past, if ever, a fourth MB will take a major leap of faith!!
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Wife drives 90 mi/day Southern Ca. freeways and I get to drive it on weekends when we both travel together, which is usually. Had to talk her into the fact she deserves a Benz. "It has a charcoal air filter" :-) She has had MX6, Preludes, Lancia, Triumph Spitfire, Fiat 850 Coupe, all sticks. Now she feels like a Queen and loves the car. I am impressed with it as well. There's a reason it cost $42K. 2.4K miles and no problems. How long are your front pads lasting? Anyone try OEM pads yet? How are the rotors doing? I love to tinker and plan to keep this car for a while. Anyone get a shop manual/CD yet? BTW, averaging
    almost 26 mi/gallon ( 31 mph!) city/fwy.
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    I miss the single windshield wiper.... :-(
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    You could always remove the passenger side wiper, for old times' sake.
  • lepinlepin Member Posts: 13
    After I picked up my car for a week, a stone hit the windshield of my C320. 2 weeks ago, a Ford Expedition hit the rear bumper of my car when I waited to turn left. Yesterday, I found some more scratch on my rear left bumper. There must be someone hit my car when my car was in the parking lot.
    Don't know what to say about this...
This discussion has been closed.