Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I had a similar experience (occasional subdued thumping and clicking from the speakers) with a rented A-Class in Germany last spring.

It turned out to be my cell phone, which I had turned on and stored in the little compartment right beneath the car stereo's head unit. It seemed to have been electromagnetic influence of some kind.

Worth a try...

Tarik
  • jayonejayone Member Posts: 25
    Hi, I noticed lately that my (drivers) door would loudly "click" when opened or closed and upon further investigation I saw that the hinge from the door that connects to the body of the car has gotten very loose. I guess I have to revisit the service center again after two visits to get a new key. But otherwise love the car!
  • cclass117cclass117 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,
    I haven't been here for a while...I was busy fighting with the dealer.

Some people who were here about 3-4 month ago might remember that my car vibrates after I come to a complete stop. (Hi Drew! You remember this right??) It's not a vibration while I come to a stop. It's AFTER a complete stop. It shakes quite a lot, it's noticible from outside of the car. Also, RPM goes up about 600-700 while it shakes(about 5 sec.), if the tranny is in Drive and if I am not "standing" on the brake, car moves forward. I almost hit a car in front of me one day.(Here's the liability issue.)

I brought my car 3 times and they kept giving it back to me saying same old WOA(Worked on Arrival) junk, and now my car's in the shop again(4th attempt) for the same problem.

This time, I scared them if they don't fix it right, there's lemon law which will back me up. They seem like they are trying to find something out this time. It's been in the shop for 6 days.
    They kept saying "Tomorrow" but I will see if they will be done tomorrow.

I am running out of patience because it started the day I took delivery.(8 miles on odo) and for the first three times I brought in, they didn't try hard.

California Lemon Law states the following.
    1) If the vehicle has been in the shop 4 or more times in 18 month or 18000mi. which ever comes first, for the same or similar problem, it's a lemon.
    2) If the problem affects safety, value, or use of the vehicle, after 2 visits to the shop, it qualifies for the legal presumption.
    3) If your car was out of service for more than 30 days during the same period, it also qualifies.
    4) Manufacturer has 30days to comply to demand.
    5) In addition, notifying Manufacturer in letter is required.(Certified mail.)

Well, my car falls under #1 and #2, my car's legally "lemon". If they don't fix it by tomorrow, I am thinking about hiring a lawyer to get my full money back.
    Man.. this is not what I've been expecting from a overpriced 44K tag little sedan...

What do you guys think? should I give them one more chance?
  • cclass117cclass117 Member Posts: 36
    Yes, exact same thing happened on my C also.
    I brought it in because I didn't want to over torque it or anything...and when I got to the dealer ship, one kid came out with the regular non-torque limit tool(Heck, I don't know how to call it) and just slammed on that thing... I still can't explain how I felt after he did his "quality" work..
    Oh.. man... I am losing trust.....I am losing it......
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    No!!! Don't give that dealer another chance to develop any more new excuses around the fact that your new C class is a lemon. Hold his feet to the fire. Make them cough up either a full refund, or, a brand new C. They can afford it. Good luck.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >Extremely pleasant experience overall, and I >can't wait for my car to arrive. Oh, one last >thing, he requires no deposit.

July will here before you know it. Good luck with your Capri Blue 320. I am certain you will enjoy driving it. Re the $1,300 off MSRP -- did they discount your CD player?

Miki
  • loyloy Member Posts: 14
    >I am certain you will enjoy driving it. Re the $1,300 off MSRP -- did they discount your CD player?

Miki,

Yes the 1,300 does include the price of CD changer. I guess, you can look at it this way: Free CD (750 @ cost) and 800 off MSRP. Not bad for the 2002, which is not yet in the production line. I could have tried my luck and push it further, but I rather "do him a favor" for better services in the future. :) Just my humble opinion.

Loy
    Sorry, a little math mistake, 600 off MSRP.

Loy
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Hi Everyone...

Haven't made a post for a while, didn't have anything to add. Just enjoying my new ride!

However, today I'm having Stoneguard film installed. I'll be working while they install the film, but I'll take pictures of the product once installed.

Also... I've noticed a small vibration between 30-40mph. The dealer will look into this issue today. I'm thinking it's an unbalanced wheel. My C came with Goodyears. Anyone else have this same issue?
    -E
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    I damaged the front wheel and ruined a tire yesterday when I hit a pothole. I was going a little fast. At least there was no paint damage. Anyway I ordered a new Continental tire but Mercedes told me on the phone that they do not see any inventory in the USA for the 7 spoke C240 standard wheel. They want me to come down to the dealer to indentify the exact wheel that I need. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one (new/used) without having to wait weeks/months?
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    Hello everyone,
    I am pretty new to this board. I ordered a 2002 C240 this weekend. The salesman was really great. I asked if they would make a deal and give me a break on anything like everyone else on this board seems to have gotten (like free DC player etc) and I got a stern answer from a manager saying that no dealer would do that. Is this true?

I just wanted to know if anyone in the metro Washington DC area has been able to get any deals for the 2002 models.

Please let me know if anyone else has had a bad experience with HBL.
    Has anyone tinted their windows on the C classes. I was told by the dealership that it messes with the power windows and not to do it.

Please let me know if anyone has successfully been able to tint their windows in the DC area.
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    AutoWeek on Speedvision tonight is performance testing the new C!!!

A nice black one.

Yaah I love this stuff!!

At 7:30pm Eastern 4/26
  • bigbaddadbigbaddad Member Posts: 14
    When I picked up my C240 a while back, one of the wheels was scratched and the dealer had to order a replacement. It took about 4 weeks. If someone has upgraded their wheels, they might be selling their entire old set for about the price the dealer would charge for one wheel.

Here a link with a guy selling his.

http://www.mbworld.org/classifieds/home.html

Good luck - John

• zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    is that in new york anywhere?
    scratched front skirt way down near bottom at corner ;(((
  • sjsubumsjsubum Member Posts: 6
    Rainer, I upgraded my rims and tires. Now I have a set of 7 spoke OEM wheel with Goodyear Eagle tires. currently, they are advertised on Yahoo and mbworld. I am looking to sell the entire set. Perhaps, the other 3 wheels and tires can be used as full size, permanent spare. If you are interested, contact me. I live in San Jose, CA.
    Luke
    >Not bad for the 2002, which is not yet in the >production line. I could have tried my luck and >push it further, but I rather "do him a favor" >for better services in the future. :)

You will love this car! I paid MSRP. when I ordered my 320 in November, but received 50% off the CD Player and Chrome wheels, which came to approx $1300. The discounted CD player was easy, but I had to work for discount on the chrome wheels and give a deposit of $2000.

Miki
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    1. Tinting is totally fine even with power windows. I have mine done 2 days after I got the car. Do remember not to lower your windows for a week, and don't turn on rear defogging. Also make sure the tint shop does a good job. I paid $150 total for all sides, back and got life time warranty. However don't get it too dark(I got 35% or so, and it was too dark) because your auto-dimming rear view mirror makes it also impossible to see at night. In addition, rear sun shade becomes useless.

2. It will be difficult to buy just one wheel. Better off by upgrading the whole thing to 17" or 18". Tirerack.com sells 17" rim with tire packages as low as $900, and all you need is installation and alignment.

3. C1 will be extra on 2002, and msrp very likely will remain the same. Dealers get their CD changers and chrome wheels at very low costs, and it is better to negotiate price on the vehicle without any dealer installed options. I got $1400 off on my C320 with only C2, so I believe you should get bigger discounts if more packages are added. I brought an original MB CD changer for $425 from a internet vendor, and technician at Penske Mercedes installed it for around $100.

just my $0.02
    >and I got a stern answer from a manager saying >that no dealer would do that. Is this true?

I, too, got a stern "NO" from the sales manager when I asked for a discount on the chrome wheels. I found another dealer (not as conveniently located) who said he would discount the wheels. I then went back to the "stern" sales manager and told him I liked my sales consultant and would like to do business with his dealership, and asked him if he were me, wouldn't he go with the place that gave the discount. He hesitated NOT and added the chrome wheel discount to the CD discount, the latter being given just by the asking.

Miki
    Can you tell me if the chrome wheels you got were the original factory rims? did they come chrome when you took delivery or did you get some other rims.

Please let me know because I would like to have chrome rims as well but I never knew I could get them. They said I would have to put on after market rims.
    Someone said that there was a way to go on the MB web page and specify what you want and have different dealers get back to you. Can someone let me know how I can do this.

Thanks in advance
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    original factory 7 spoke rims chromed by the dealer - paid $600
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    Autoclass sells original CD changer online for $375 plus kit. It is a whole package including all mounting and wires connectors, and it goes into glove box only. I was told by the tech that installed mine that he had to take out the dash panel in order to put the wires in, so I wouldn't dare to do it myself. The original MB changer is made by Alpine, but none of the Alpine dealers I contacted has it in stock because the unit uses fiber optic wire and controls, and very rare and expensive for others.

Before I purchased my car, I emailed every MB dealer in Socal with the exact model, color and options. They had to bid each others for my business. (priceline rip off) If you don't get the price you like, just hold it until end of the month. Very likely, the one that offered the lowest price will give in so that he/she can meet the quota by month end.
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    The review of the C320 will be tomorrow night 5/27 at 7pm eastern time on Speedvision.

Not tonight...sorry.
    >Can you tell me if the chrome wheels you got >were the original factory rims? did they come >chrome when you took delivery or did you get >
    >some other rims

Fuzzo -- My 320 did not come from the factory with chrome wheels. This is why they could be discounted. As I recall, the dealer had to sell at MSRP, but could discount what they added on (CD Player & chrome wheels). They used stock wheels, I am sure, but had some that were already chromed. They did not take the wheels off my car and send them out to be chromed -- I know this baecause it would have taken an extra day or two.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Miki
  • mbc320mbc320 Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to have in dash cd changer without the command system option?
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    Yes it is possible to have an in-dash CD without "COMAND". In Europe there is an optional in-dash CD player (in lieu of the cassette) that is the same size and fits in the same place as the standard radio/cassette. It costs 100 Euros more than the radio North American cars get. The factory option number is 756. I don't know whether it can be ordered as a factory option from a N.Am. M-B dealer. I suppose one could always order it as a spare part but that would probably be ridiculously expensive (and you'd be left with a surplus radio/cassette player).

-Mike
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I believe we learned in the weekly MB chat that the euro in dash CD player is not compatible with the Bose stereo system, so it's not an option for most US owners.

I can't believe it's that hard to install the CD player in the glovebox (with the proper mounting hardware and cables of course), even the radio should be easy to take out with the proper removal tool. Since the dealers have to install these players, I find it hard to believe that MB makes it difficult or that they want careless MB techs messing up the dashboards on all the brand new Cs.

The real question is: can you activate the CD player without needing the ECU diagnostic tool? If you need that tool, then there is no way this is a DIY job.
  • lennyk1313lennyk1313 Member Posts: 7
    I dont know about anyone else, but i didn't purchase this car for the performance, and I knew what it was capable of before I bought it. But for the past few days I had so much fun driving it "fast" that I really think that it does 0-60 in alot less then 8.2 sec. Even my friend who owns a 2000 BMW 328 said that its FAST when he drove it. Let me just tell you that tonight after coming from the party I and my frined had too much fun while driving back home. Buying this car was the best decision I made and I enjoy it very much. Have fun guys!!!
    Miki & Jerry320

Wow, I thought I had myself a good deal, I guess I only have a decent deal then:) I certainly agree with Jerry320 that patience will save you big bucks. In all honesty, I am pretty particular about the car; thus, I really want to get everything to the exact specification (after all it is a 40K+ car). I have also shopped around and got couple good offers (have to play games with them), but none of these dealers were very frank (they were nice, but still sales person nice), it is almost impossible to get them talking about 2002 (if they talk, firm MSRP only). Plus they all say no earlier than Aug pick up date! I assume they want to clear their 2001 inventory first.

About CD changer, I did shop around and do realize that better deals are available in after market. I guess, I am old fashioned and prefer the dealer to take care of everything in one transaction. After all I plan to buy this car with cash and keep it for a very long time; thus, any problems can be taken care of by the dealer.

Oh well, at least we all have one thing in common--a great car!

PS. my sales person just sent me an email confirming that my car is in the system and will be built during the first 10 days of June!

Loy
  • doraemon77doraemon77 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone here can tell me when the new C 2002 is coming out? I heard people said that it will be available in mid July.

Thanks!
    William
    With the way you are driving (# 2794), you're a statistic waiting to happen! The sad part is that you very well may harm innocent people in the process. Grow up! Unless of course, you are doing all that on a race track.
    loy -- Checked out my invoice for the C320 2001. Cash price was 40310 which included C1 and C2, plus 1390 for chrome wheels and CD Player. With tax, license and delivery, total 46,011. Another C320, same year and add ons, is expected, but it will have Xenon lights and required C4 package, and metallic paint. This car will cost including all close to 49,000.

Miki
    Or worse yet, is it Florida!
    Miki,

Wow that sounded like awful lot of added payment to go from 40,300 to 46,000. From my calculation, tax is about 6% (in PA), lux tax 4% (over 35,000), license and registration ????. did I miss something?

Loy
    >Wow that sounded like awful lot of added payment >to go from 40,300 to 46,000

loy -- It does, doesn't it? I'll list in detail:

Cash Price of vehicle 40310 (C1 and C2 included)
    Cash Price accessories 1390 (chrome wheels and CD Player)
    doc prep fee 50
    sales tax 3444
    luxury tax 185
    license fees 632
    TOTAL 46011

Sales tax in CA is 8.25% to your 6% -- the C1 and C2 come with the C320's

Miki
    I admire the technology and german "know how" that builds a porche,capable of the speed and agility it posesses.I do not as admire drivers that think that PUBLIC roads... with potholes. garbage.. glass shards.. oils slicks etc.. that would cause a simple"taking a curve that has a sharp apex" to turn into a major injury or death..
    smart drivers know what their car can do.. and when and where do do it.. find a lonely stretch of highway in the middle of knowhere.. knock yourself out... but... dont expose YOUR reckless definition of loving live.. to others that may just love life in a different way.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,

I haven't been posting lately but have been reading all your comments.

I have received an invitation from Mercedes to attend a driving event of all new cars including AMG models and the new C Coupe. If interested call your dealer for an invitation.

The event is gonna be held in Hollywood Park over the weekend of May 11th till May 13th, 2001. Or you could check it out at mbpowertrip.com

I am looking forward to go on the AMG "hot laps" and enjoy this sales-free atmosphere.

I hope to see some of you there.

Cheers

Johnny
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    CA tax has been reduced to 8% since January 2001. It is no longer 8.25%. Be aware, some dealers in southern CA are still charging the 8.25% and if you catch them they balme it on the computer. I have my sister-in-law purchased a 2001 Rav4 and I found out that she over paid for her state taxes and that was the lame excuse they provided when confronted.

Cheers

Johnny
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    In the non-full leather package on the C the "inserts" are leather and the rest of the seats as MBTex. Given the quality of the latter it is hard to tell where the leather leaves off and the MBTex begins. If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate the information as the time to clean and treat the seats will be arriving soon.

Thanks,

JR
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    You are not shattering anyones glass house with me. I totaled a Porsche screwing around on public roads. I am very lucky that my ex and I are alive today.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    LOL - husky11 is in his 70's.

You don't need to drive a Porsche to drive it like a maniac. I knew a lot of kids who drove Hondas and Acuras 100 mph on local highways.

How the heck did CA sales tax ever get reduced? I thought CA tax would be up to 9% now. I find it hard to believe that a dealership would overcharge on purpose though, maybe I'm naive. A Toyota dealership? OK, maybe.

AFAIK, the parts that touch your body are real leather, seats and backs. An easy way to remember this is if you were driving nude it would be leather to leather. Therefore if you were driving nude and like a maniac you'd be driving hell to leather and leather to leather.
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Coulthard takes practice run at Spanish Grand Prix

Canadian Jacques Villeneuve finished up in ninth position in his BAR-Honda.
    (posted Apr. 27, 9:55AM EDT)
    BARCELONA -- Scotland's David Coulthard, the only driver on the podium in the first four races this season, has his mind on doing it again.
    David Coulthard would like to wrestle the title from Michael Shumacher.

The McLaren-Mercedes driver, tied for the season points lead with defending champion Michael Schumacher of Ferrari (26 each), posted the quickest time in Friday's two unofficial qualifying sessions for Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix.

Coulthard, 30, has been second the last three years in Spain, each time to McLaren teammate Mika Hakkinen.

The Scot clocked one minute 20.107 seconds on the 4.728-kilometre circuit. Jaguar's Eddie Irvine was second in 1:20.615 with Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello next in 1:20.823.

Olivier Panis of BAR was fourth (1:20.826) followed by Michael Schumacher of Ferrari (1:20.880), Hakkinen (1:20.894), Pedro de la Rosa of Jaguar (1:21.184), Ralf Schumacher of Williams-BMW (1:21.259) and Canadian Jacques Villeneuve of BAR (1:21.401) in ninth.
  • norcalmikenorcalmike Member Posts: 25
    As long as there are guys like p996 out there they will be paying guys like me to scrape him up off the pavement. Sad part is there are always a couple of innocents that die when the big crash finally happens. Too bad p996 can't be like a group of NSX drivers I saw last weekend on Interstate 5 in northern California. The NSX club spent the weekend at the Willows race track having a great time. They were driving on I-5 AT THE SPEED LIMIT. Every single one of them had a great big smile on their face. These guys had it right. Enjoying their cars to the limit on the track and returning to the real world as responsible adults.
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    IMHO and common senses dictate that anyone who
    thinks the public roads are his/her own track
    should enroll the behind-wheel course again.
    It does not matter what kind of car you have,
    but how you drive matters. Even a bicycle
    accident could be fatal... think about it.

The first lesson from my behind-wheel was 'Drive
    Defensively.' What else is more important than
    your life? Just a few seconds of thrill ride
    would worth more than your life? Then I don't have
    nothing else to say, but if not... drive safely.

Plus if you are recklessly overspeeding, you are breaking the LAWS.
    I Just ordered mine last weekend and the sales person said that I will have it mid July. He did say how ever that if the 2002's were not ordered by people. The dealerships usually keep them in the lot and only put them out once their 2001 models have all been sold
    >CA tax has been reduced to 8% since January >2001. It is no longer 8.25%. Be aware, some >dealers in southern CA are still charging the >8.25%

Johnny -- thank you for correcting me. I bought my car December 7, 2000 and I should have said tax WAS 8.25%. That said, in my post I was only thinking of finding the right percent to make it come out to what I was charged. I am happy you reminded me about the 8%, however, because I forgot to reduce tax on another car transaction that will not be completed until end of May. They would have taken my check and not said a word.

(Grateful) Miki
    So we dont know that people drive insanely fast at times? of course we do. I say... ya got a ferrari,porche,austin..? GREAT! But ya dont have to take chances with other peoples lives on public roads.As norcal suggested... join a club.. rent a racetrace.. and play grand prix!!
    I really think that characterising anyone that is concerned about public safety on the PUBLIC roads as being in a any way"square" or out of touch... has soooooooo much growing up to do.

I certainly dont drive at a steady 55mph... but.... there are limits as to whats prudent when OTHER lives may be involved
This discussion has been closed.