Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• CA tax has been reduced to 8% since January 2001. It is no longer 8.25%. Be aware, some dealers in southern CA are still charging the 8.25% and if you catch them they balme it on the computer. I have my sister-in-law purchased a 2001 Rav4 and I found out that she over paid for her state taxes and that was the lame excuse they provided when confronted.

Cheers

Johnny
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    In the non-full leather package on the C the "inserts" are leather and the rest of the seats as MBTex. Given the quality of the latter it is hard to tell where the leather leaves off and the MBTex begins. If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate the information as the time to clean and treat the seats will be arriving soon.

Thanks,

JR
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    You are not shattering anyones glass house with me. I totaled a Porsche screwing around on public roads. I am very lucky that my ex and I are alive today.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    LOL - husky11 is in his 70's.

You don't need to drive a Porsche to drive it like a maniac. I knew a lot of kids who drove Hondas and Acuras 100 mph on local highways.

How the heck did CA sales tax ever get reduced? I thought CA tax would be up to 9% now. I find it hard to believe that a dealership would overcharge on purpose though, maybe I'm naive. A Toyota dealership? OK, maybe.

AFAIK, the parts that touch your body are real leather, seats and backs. An easy way to remember this is if you were driving nude it would be leather to leather. Therefore if you were driving nude and like a maniac you'd be driving hell to leather and leather to leather.
  • diwc240diwc240 Posts: 172
    Coulthard takes practice run at Spanish Grand Prix

Canadian Jacques Villeneuve finished up in ninth position in his BAR-Honda.
    (posted Apr. 27, 9:55AM EDT)
    BARCELONA -- Scotland's David Coulthard, the only driver on the podium in the first four races this season, has his mind on doing it again.
    David Coulthard would like to wrestle the title from Michael Shumacher.

The McLaren-Mercedes driver, tied for the season points lead with defending champion Michael Schumacher of Ferrari (26 each), posted the quickest time in Friday's two unofficial qualifying sessions for Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix.

Coulthard, 30, has been second the last three years in Spain, each time to McLaren teammate Mika Hakkinen.

The Scot clocked one minute 20.107 seconds on the 4.728-kilometre circuit. Jaguar's Eddie Irvine was second in 1:20.615 with Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello next in 1:20.823.

Olivier Panis of BAR was fourth (1:20.826) followed by Michael Schumacher of Ferrari (1:20.880), Hakkinen (1:20.894), Pedro de la Rosa of Jaguar (1:21.184), Ralf Schumacher of Williams-BMW (1:21.259) and Canadian Jacques Villeneuve of BAR (1:21.401) in ninth.
  • As long as there are guys like p996 out there they will be paying guys like me to scrape him up off the pavement. Sad part is there are always a couple of innocents that die when the big crash finally happens. Too bad p996 can't be like a group of NSX drivers I saw last weekend on Interstate 5 in northern California. The NSX club spent the weekend at the Willows race track having a great time. They were driving on I-5 AT THE SPEED LIMIT. Every single one of them had a great big smile on their face. These guys had it right. Enjoying their cars to the limit on the track and returning to the real world as responsible adults.
  • ny74ny74 Posts: 15
    IMHO and common senses dictate that anyone who
    thinks the public roads are his/her own track
    should enroll the behind-wheel course again.
    It does not matter what kind of car you have,
    but how you drive matters. Even a bicycle
    accident could be fatal... think about it.

The first lesson from my behind-wheel was 'Drive
    Defensively.' What else is more important than
    your life? Just a few seconds of thrill ride
    would worth more than your life? Then I don't have
    nothing else to say, but if not... drive safely.

Plus if you are recklessly overspeeding, you are breaking the LAWS.
  • fuzzofuzzo Posts: 88
    I Just ordered mine last weekend and the sales person said that I will have it mid July. He did say how ever that if the 2002's were not ordered by people. The dealerships usually keep them in the lot and only put them out once their 2001 models have all been sold
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    >CA tax has been reduced to 8% since January >2001. It is no longer 8.25%. Be aware, some >dealers in southern CA are still charging the >8.25%

Johnny -- thank you for correcting me. I bought my car December 7, 2000 and I should have said tax WAS 8.25%. That said, in my post I was only thinking of finding the right percent to make it come out to what I was charged. I am happy you reminded me about the 8%, however, because I forgot to reduce tax on another car transaction that will not be completed until end of May. They would have taken my check and not said a word.

(Grateful) Miki
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    So we dont know that people drive insanely fast at times? of course we do. I say... ya got a ferrari,porche,austin..? GREAT! But ya dont have to take chances with other peoples lives on public roads.As norcal suggested... join a club.. rent a racetrace.. and play grand prix!!
    I really think that characterising anyone that is concerned about public safety on the PUBLIC roads as being in a any way"square" or out of touch... has soooooooo much growing up to do.

I certainly dont drive at a steady 55mph... but.... there are limits as to whats prudent when OTHER lives may be involved
  • benz747benz747 Posts: 91
    Read about your post regarding 2002 C Class, are you referring to dealers in North America ?

I am waiting for 2002 models as there is no point ordering one now as it still label as 2001 is it? correct me if I am wrong

thanks in advance
  • c32c32 Posts: 8
    I am going to take delivery around May 20th of a 2001 C320.

I special ordered it because I want the command and contour seat.

Is anyone here going to take delivery of a 01 C320 in this time frame?

I am paying MSRP. They said because it is a special order one they won't budge.

If I go ahead and get this car, how much do you think it will effect my resale value instead of just waiting another 3 months for a 2002?
    i hoping that because the run of 2001 c's was a short one,and theres so few around.. that it will bouy up the resale value.. my understand also is that.. no only are there very few changes in store for 2002. but what changes that ARE scheduled.. are esenntially downgrades
    Yes the dealers that I am talking about is in North America.

When i ordered my car, all the cars being built were in production and it was too late to order a 2001 model. So I put the order in for the first batch of 2002's. I was told that I will get it in mid-july because it was ordered. He told me that the cars that are made without an order will also start arriving in mid July but will not be put out for sale till august or all the 2001's are sold (which ever comes first) If you are waiting to get a 2002 off the lot, then it won't be till august I think.

As for the difference in resale value, I was told that the C will depreciate about 2500-3000 a year if there are no body changes. If there is a body change then it will be around 4500 to 5000. If you wait for a 2002 c320, you are looking at an extra 2 month wait....

Thanks
  • loyloy Posts: 14
    Don't mean to offend anybody, just want to state my opinion.

I actually don't mind FAST driver, but I do detest STUPID and CRAZY driver. They are the ones that cause most of the accident in my opinion. Unfortunately, the correlation between fast driver and stupid/crazy driver is very high! So, it is best to exercise an extreme precaution no matter how fast you drive, b/c even if you don't hit them, they will hit you.

About the 2002 model, I have no problem order mine last Wednesday. It is scheduled to be built during the first 10 days of June. Thus, I know for fact that it will arrive at the shore no later than mid July, I guess, you just have to push the dealer for it. If you live around PA or NJ, I can give you my dealer name.

Loy
  • fredtwdfredtwd Posts: 25
    So far I'm very happy with my new C320; however, I am having the "C320 losing my memory settings problem" (seat position, mirrors). Luckily it happened when the salesperson was demo'ing the car. I'm scheduled to bring it in on Thursday. It's a little annoying because I brought up this issue with the service guy before my C320 came in and he said he never heard of this. I guess I get to say "I told you so".

Has anyone else on the board been able to have MB fix this problem? I have not been able to develop a reproducible test case yet, as I had to go on a 5 day business trip right after taking delivery.

I'm going to use the MB dealer evaluationas leverage until it works correctly. I figure this is the best motivational tool I have.

Everything else works great. I really love the voice recognition option. The COMMAND navigation and integrated phone are cool too.

Thanks for your help.

Robert
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    How are you folks ordering 2002 Cs when you don't know the prices yet? What the price increase? Do you have to pay "extra" for the C1 option in the C320 now, did they lower the spread prices versus the C240 accordingly, or did they just bump the price of the C320 $1200?
    ctic,

The subject started by some bravado statements has gotten out of hand. Let's not perpetuate it with any more silly, nonsensical, and ridiculous posts.

Miki
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's just go back to discussing the cars and get away from talking about each other, okay?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Ian,

I remember printing your work sheet record of C problems when I first came to the forum, but I cannot remember how to get back to it. I would like to update my files and be well informed when the Obsidian is delivered.

My thanks.

Miki
    it just gets too darn personal! and we worry about the drivers getting angry on the road??? looks like road rage is HERE! on all sides!
    miki if u know dennets e mail please send me at [email protected]
  • p996p996 Posts: 56
    Now we lost one of the truly respected people on this forum!

dennett don't leave. Please just practice what you preach and ignore those very conservative people.

I read the Rennlist and the BMW forums all the time. They always talk about how fast their cars are and how they race people on public streets.

http://boards.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/986-996/986-996.pl?read=1477

Here is a recent post on the Rennlist. IT is a VERY popular forum for Porsche. BMW and Porsche people are performance oriented. Most Mercedes people aren't. Just cause husky11 and ctic turned this forum into a battle field doesn't mean they have to take the HILL!!

I thank you for standing up for other peoples opinions and words.

Lets get back to normal productive conservation here, don't you all agree?

nyca,

Here is what I know according to my dealer. He has all the prices for 2002 options, which is exactly the same as the one somebody posted here (it was a link to a different URL) couple weeks ago. He also said that the C1 will no longer be std on 320, and the new base price will decrease by that amount. In addition, the new base will increase by $500. Which means that the new base is MSRP'01 - C1 + $500, or at least that is how he calculated my price. We also agreed on a fixed price; thus, I know exactly what I will be paying :) Oh, also keep in mind that my dealer could be totally wrong about to price too, this is only based on the information that he had at the time of my order.

Lastly, I know that I am a newbie here, but at least I have been following this board for a while now. Dennett has always contributed good advises here, and it would be sad to lose him. I know that people are all different, and that is why this world is so interesting. I guess, we should all take a step back and try to realize that people do have different opinions, and please try to understand them (not accepting them, just look at them from a different point of view). Nevertheless, we should choose our words carefully. Just my 2 cents.

Loy
    I, too, am disheartened. Seeing Pat's post following mine upset me, and I did send her an E-mail. It is my feeling that the subject was off-topic and became more so when it was perpetuated by Husky11, which was when IMHO the thread should have been stopped. This diminishes my enthusiasm for the forum, I am sad to say.

Miki
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    I was only responding to dennett's post #2825 in which he invited a reply.

For your information I have been posting in the C-class forum since part 1, circa 1999 or so. And husky11 has been here since about the same time. That accounts for both our advanced ages.

Apparently dennett can dish it out but not take it. Members comes and goes, life goes on.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Miki has raised some concerns here and in an email to me that I received this morning. Maybe I can clarify a couple of things.

First, Town Hall's message boards are not monitored in real time. Your hosts are part-time contractors who catch up on all posts on their board(s) as often as possible, usually at least once a day.

Some things here got out of hand sometime after I had read all the posts here Thursday night and before I got back again last night. By the time I saw what was going on, it appeared - at least at the moment - that some of you were doing a good job of self-policing the discussion and trying to get the conversation away from personal issues.

My post was meant to support that effort. It was not directed at Miki, it just happened that she had made the last post when I got here. It was directed at everyone, just as this post is.

In reality, you folks have a large degree of responsibility to keep discussions on track by not making off-topic posts, not making personal attacks and generally following all of the Terms of Use to which you have all agreed. This means that if you see a post which in your opinion does not follow the TOU, you really should respond in only one of two ways - ignore it and rest assured that one of your hosts will be along shortly to take care of it, or email one (or both) of your hosts to alert them of the problem. (You can always find your hosts' email addresses by clicking on the links to our profiles at the top of the main discussion lists.)

If you respond in kind to a problem post, you also are in violation of the TOU.

With all of that said, I am now going to insist that we get back to discussing the cars that are the subject of this topic and stop talking about other posters. If anyone wants to talk about these issues any further, please feel free to email me and I'll be happy to respond.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    I don't recall that those prior posts included 2002 prices, just the option lists. In any case, using your numbers and information about C1 on the C320, that would make the base prices:

2002 C240: $29950 (2001 base price) + $500 = $30450
    2002 C320: $36950 (2001 base price) + $500 - $1200 (C1) = $36250

Did I get this right? I wonder if they felt that demand was too strong for the C240 and they have tried to lower the "spread" to the C320 by removing C1 as standard, allowing a less expensive C320 to be available (albeit eithout C1)?
    nyca,

Sorry if I confused you. You are absolutely right about the c320 base price (I don't know about the 240), at least according to what my sales person has told me, but please keep in mind though that he himself could have obtained wrong info.

Here is the link to 2002 option prices; nabzy55 posted here couple weeks ago.

http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?album&ID_Community=CLKOwnersDiscussion&ID_Topic=74

Hopes this help.

And I do agree that they want to equal out the demand between the two cars. After all I think they make more money on the 320? higher margin?

Loy

When I ordered my car, my salesperson couldn't even give me an estimate on the new prices. All he said was that there will be an increase in price for 2002 and he said the maximum price increase would be about $1000. He said that there is no change to the car at all.

Hope this helps.. Please also let me know if there are any minor changes from 2001 to 2002.
This discussion has been closed.