Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    RE:QUESTIONS CONCERNING C240 PICK UP..I TOO HAVE NOTICED.. NOW ESPECIALLY THAT THE PICKUP WHEN THE CAR IS COLD..IS SLUGGISH FROM A DEAD START..BUT AS MENTIONED BY ANOTHER..AS THE CAR WARMS.. IT IS FINE.
    I FOUND THAT THE CAR HAS ENUFF TORQUE FOR ME AT ANY SPEED.. AND THAT IF I NEED A BIT MORE.. I USE 4TH OR 3RD GEAR.IT IS THOUGHROUGHLY ENJOYABLE TO DRIVE.PASSES WELL AT HIGH SPEEDS..LOW WIND NOISE.. HUGS THE ROAD..AND IS ADMIRED BY PASSERS BY.JUST BOUGHT A RADAR DETECTOR/JAMMER..SO I FEEL EVEN "SAFER" ;)
    AS TO THOSE THAT ARE WAITING..AND BECOMING FRUSTRATED.. ITS WORTH IT!I SAY THAT THE CAR IS A GREAT VALUE IN THIS PRICE RANGE..BALANCES ALL ASPECTS OF PERFORMANCE AND LUXURY AND SAFETY WHILE AVOIDING BEING PEGGED AS TOO MUCH OF EITHER A PERFORMANCE ,OR LUXURY CAR..SURE IF U WANT JUST RAW SPEED..THERES BETTER CHOICES...BUT WHEN U GET A MB..THERE ARE OTHER CONSIDERATIONS OTHER THAN JUST TESTOSERONE IMHO
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    First, if you have what sounds like noises from an interior source when you turn the steering wheel, the first place to look is the boot that covers the steering gear where it comes through the firewall at the foot of the steering column. Sometimes, a little "manual manipulation" [if you'll forgive the image] in this area will shift the boot away from the linkage enough to shut things up. I've heard of this problem multiple time in multiple MB models.

Delayed throttle response with the [relatively] new drive-by-wire throttle linkage is a common complaint worldwide with Mercedes. Get used to it. There may be software updates in the future that will address this, but the factory clearly thinks the slight delay is good for you, i.e., to prevent overly sensitive throttle reactions at initial tip-in. We're talking milliseconds, and it is a "tuneable" factor with the drivetrain computer, but don't hold your breath waiting for a change. This characteristic has been repeatedly commented upon by nearly every magazine that has tested the car, both here and in EU.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I have a C280 MY2000 and when I first got it I too noticed what felt like lack of throttle response. All I can tell you is that after having the car for one year, I NEVER notice it. I actually prefer the way it feels versus some other cars (mainly American) that give you TOO much "tip-in" at intial throttle.

Regarding Hyundai.... I owned an Elantra (1999) for seven months while I made up my mind on what my next car would be. They're GREAT vehicles for the price and you can't beat the warranty.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I used e-loan. Submitted my application late on a Tuesday afternoon and received the draft in the mail on Thursday. Couldn't ask for better service than that. My dealer didn't have any problem accepting it. I don't understand why anyone should complain. It's a draft that turns into cash the minute they take it to the bank. Furthermore, until it's been paid, NO LOAN EXISTS. Thus, e-loan has a stronge incentive to pay up asap.
  • letedeletede Member Posts: 7
    Hey John.....glad to have you back....those of us who monitor this forum always appreciate someone with the expertise like you.. in the MB world.
  • nfotxnfotx Member Posts: 15
    Are there different versions of the trunk cargo mats. You mentioned one without the dividers. I can remove my dividers in seconds. It is the location of these dividers that has me puzzled. Where do I find out about the different models of cargo mat being offered?

The MB all weather floor mats are wonderful for all of you experiencing inclement weather. I installed my mats yesterday and immediately felt better about the car. In one week of ownership, the original mats were already making fuzz balls and had become quite dirty. These heavy duty rubber mats from MB fit and look well in the new C's.
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    nfotx. . yes, I ordered the cargo tray from mb yesterday, no dividers. It was pictured in the mb 'collections' 2000 catalog I got from the mb dealer. I was mainly looking for trunk floor protection, plus I don't personally have a big need for the dividers and didn't want to lose trunk space. I also ordered a trunk convenience net. By the way, the mb rep said the tray with dividers was unavailable for the c. He also asked if I had the folding rear seat (which I have), as the tray is different for this option. I will provide more info after I receive the tray.

I have a MY2000. Maybe things are different for the 2001. I would think that either your dealer parts dept or mb should be able to clarify the mat situation for you.

I also have the all weather floor mats and am glad I went for them. See you later.
  • fjjfjj Member Posts: 6
    I read about your experience with ASC in Arlington, VA. I visited them (the pre-owned car side) about 7 months ago and had a good experience as well. I did not buy the car then (I wasn't quite ready), but the salesperson was nice and tried to sell me the car without pushing me to the limit. He let me drive it for an hour or so and when I told him I wasn't ready, he told me that was fine and let me go on my way after a few questions. He called me a few days later to check up and see if I had changed my mind.

Guess what? I visited ASC tonight with the intention of driving out of there with a C-230 class (it was cold and they were already closed). Guess I'll try again tomorrow.
    Need a little advice, please. 23k is my limit on what I can spend on a car. I really, really want a Baby Benz, but am unsure what the hightest mileage should be in the car when I buy it. People tell me those cars last forever, but . . . what's forever? Is a MB with 60k miles a baby or a teenager or is it on its mid-life crisis?

How much should I expect to pay for a C230 (c280) with less than 50k miles?

Please respond. I'm visiting a couple of dealers tomorrow.

thanks.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    Do these mats come in colors that match
    the interior?
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    I believe the rubber mats only come in black. I was never asked for choice of color. My interior is black, so this was not an issue.
  • mrdietmrdiet Member Posts: 16
    It's great to hear all the positive stories of new owners.

I'm contemplating the 6-speed C240, and I was wondering, where is the parking brake, and how does one start off when on a hill?

Also is there a dead pedal (for the left foot) in Mercedes cars?

Last, does anyone have the Oyster interior and can they describe it? It looks simply like a cream color, a light version of Java. Is that right?
  • letedeletede Member Posts: 7
    they come in two colors....black & tan from weather-tec...to fit what ever model you own.
    Want to take a crack at #273 above? Please?
    You give me a good starting point, that instead of negotiating down from what they ask, I should negotiate up from what the trade-in value is according to NADA, Kelly, Edmunds. I will try that. I think I might get nailed on the trade in, but, then again, don't I always when I purchase a car?

Thanks for the other tips. I appreciate it. I'll be sure not to let my wife see that message or she'll drive me away to the Kia dealer.

I think I can spring money for maintenance, as long as they are not more than twice the maintenance of my Ford Exlplorer. (IS IT?)

Thanks again.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I ordered my car with the Oyster interior. It appears to be a pretty rare choice. I did briefly see one car with the oyster interior before I placed my order. It's more like a very light greyish off-white from what I remember. It's not really what I would consider "creme" and it doesn't have quite as much of a yellow hue as java. That's the best I can remember. I won't actaully have mine until February. I'd suggest you ask your dealer if they have any oyster interiored cars on the lot in any model so you can judge. I was lucky that such a car happened to be there the day I asked. I have been second guessing my choice somewhat since it is a very light color and the dirt will show on things like the inside door handles pretty quickly. But I think it should be pretty easy to clean those parts.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    We have a magma red C with oyster interior, it is a light grey, not off white or light java. When we first saw it we thought it had gotten the grey interior by mistake, but when we looked at one with grey we realized it was just darker. I think the color is beautiful, and not any more prone to showing dirt or stains than the grey. The other grey is more battleship colored, while I'd describe the oyster as more silvery, if that makes sense!
    Got the car back from the dealer yesterday and it now opens. Dealer thought we were a couple of idiots, claimed we'd had the trunk in the valet mode, HE WAS WRONG. We didn't even know there was a keyhole in the trunk before this happened, and had absolutely never put a key into it before the second day it wouldn't open. Then on 2 different days I took the manual out to the car and tried the key in every possible position and it wouldn't open. It could be that the second day I tried it I left the trunk in valet mode, but that's not why it wouldn't open in the first place. Service guy listened to me, but seemed a bit skeptical, like I was trying to cover for myself. Oh well, it works now. If it happens again I guess I'll be able to say I told you so! They gave us a new 2000 ML as a loaner, very nice but boy it was so much noisier inside than the C class! We plan to get an ML, but after spending the day with one, I think we may have to wait for the new model, does anyone know when it's due?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I'm curious as to why you think the MY2K ML was louder. I think the engine is louder than the C320 my brother test drove, but not that much. The C320's suspension seems to make more noise over rough road than the ML's does.
    So how did the dealer get the trunk to open? :-)
    The ML had way more wind noise and engine noise, it was easily as noisy inside as our Isuzu Trooper, maybe the loaner ML had bad door seals or something? Other than that it was a much nicer SUV than the trooper, we've been planning on an ML for next year. So I ment no slight on the ML. As far as the trunk, the dealer said it was in valet mode and when they turned the key it opened, but as I said, the key had never even been inserted in the trunk and it wouldn't open for 2 days. Something must have reset or? I may have left the trunk in valet mode after trying the key in all positions the 4th day it wouldn't open. So we'll see, hopefully it will never happen again!
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    First, I would like to welcome John (JRCT) back. how is your drive going? I hope all is well.

In the year 2004 a new crossover class (minivan/sport ute/wagon)is being introduced by Mercedes-Benz called GST or Grand (wheel base similar to that of the S class)Sport (V6 and V8 engines offered)Tourer (3rd row 7 seater vehicle).

The new ML is due for a change/makeover after the GST introduction late in 2004. Both will be built in Alabama. The new ML will abondonits current "body-on-frame" architecture. A new lighter unibody structure will be introduced thus imprving gas mileage and safety. Both the GST and the new ML will share the same unibody structure and it is gonna be marketed as sleeker portier and more aerodynamic.

Both are also gonna be full time all wheel drive. The new ML will no longer look like a minvan. instead, a more rugged look is in the making. Also it is expected to be longer by about 8 inches with plenty of room for a 3rd row seat.

As for pricing, the GST is going to be priced betwen $57k and $64K. the ML about $50k.

Also, by 2004 MB is palnning on converting all of its engines to direct injection. No diesel engines are gonna ever be offered for the US market due to tighter emission regulations.

P.S. I have gotten most of my info from the recent Automobile magazine.

Cheers
  • guptaluxguptalux Member Posts: 2
    To get pricing information, use a combination of carpoint.com & edmunds.com to research pricing & reliability ratings before you walk into the dealer so you won't be ripped off. Carpoint has easy access to the Kelley Blue Book online calculator & will tell you which dealers in your area have the kind of car you're looking for and will provide the VIN number. You can then sign up with carfax.com to get reports on that particular vehicle. If you decide on a new car, edmunds is a great resource for wheeling & dealing. Especially this link: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/doitusef/howtobuy.html
  • guptaluxguptalux Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone for the great information here!Your postings are invaluable.Been trying to decide between the bmw 3(too small), bmw 5(too costly), lexus is(don't think it'll hold its value) & the mb c class(need I say more?). Finally decided on the c and have been calling the dealers and will soon go out for a test drive.
    The info you've posted will give me some extra ammunition, in case I need it. Thanks!
    I divide the answer to your question into two parts: preventative mtc., and repairs. Preventative mtc. on a late-model MB will be slightly more expensive than a typical US SUV, but not drastically so if you use a little common sense about the mtc. schedule and look for dealer specials in the service dept. On the other hand, REPAIRS can bankrupt you - and in this case, it will indeed cost 2x what it would cost to do the same thing to your typical domestic car. This is why I caution you to know a used MB's service history and make sure you have some warranty protection. Buying the car is the easy part - keeping it running after, say 90k miles, can the expensive part.

Again, so much of this depends on the luck of the draw - I've had both good 'uns and bad 'uns from these guys over the last 32 years. Any recent model is a reasonable risk, so long as you're sharing the risk with the warranty co. or MBUSA, as the case may be.
    I've been lurking here all along, but have been distracted by any number of things, including most recently getting us hooked up to a broadband [cable modem] fast connection so we can be "on" all the time, with no more time-out and phone line worries.

The '01 Accord EX V6 continues to surprise and delight on every drive - I'm still blown away by how different this car is from its 4 cyl predecessor...the body may be the same, but everything else feels really different.

On the new C, I've got to say I am pleasantly surprised so far at the absence of any widespread show-stopper problems; let's keep our fingers crossed that it will stay that way.
  • pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    Along with making sure you know what your buying with a used vehicle as mentioned above. Take a look in your local yellow pages for an independant garage that services MB, sometimes exclusively. If you can find a good one, you might know by the knowledge they've been in business for years at the same location, they can offer substanially lower labor costs.
    I had the good fortune a few years back with my aging Volvo. I saw a non-descript shop that I hadnt paid much attention to prior to buying a volvo, been there for 20 years or so. They were great, quick service for an h of a lot less than the Volvo dealer, and they gave you the option of fixing with new or used parts. A consideration when you're keeping an out of warranty car on the road.
    Thanks for those descriptions of Oyster. Given your descriptions, I think the Motorweek segment on the 320 showed an Oyster car:

http://members.nbci.com/babylexus/c320.html

I was also thinking of a Red/Oyster combo, it's probably the best color combination.

Any info on the parking brake location and operation? Is it foot operated?
    I checked that page, and yep that's the light grey oyster interior. It really does look awesome with the magma red. The parking brake is foot operated and hand released, seemed a bit weird at first, but once we got used to it we really like it. The pull handle clutters up the console, didn't really realize it until we got a car without it. Good luck to you!
  • very_likeablevery_likeable Member Posts: 5
    John-

I was amazed to read your comments on the Honda, because I completely agree! I have been test driving 330's, C320's and an IS300. Right after taking a very long demo ride in the C320 (non-sport, I hate the aluminum look), I went over and drove the loaded Accord. I think it had a better ride! No acceleration lag, more room, more comfortable seats, comparable handing and very quick.

Of course, it is not as sharp as the c-class, but for $25,540 MSRP and heavily discounted, I think I'm going with the Accord! For those people still looking, check it out…

-Ron
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Reply to # 292 (mrdiet): Parking brake is activated by pressing down on foot pedal with left foot and subsequently released with your left hand as you reach down a little (fuse box location on Japanese cars). I drive a 5 speed now and have never used the parking brake (RHS center) to hold on a hill, mind you I have not started from steep steep hills. I find if people know you are driving a standard on a hill, they tend to leave more than a couple of feet gap behind you, at least I try to. I know it will take me some time in the seat to get used to a slightly different clutch than my current Subaru Outback, but the C 240 6 speed is very good both clutch and smoothness of stick shift / short throws. Can't remember if there is a "dead foot" pad but I would think there must be. Ian
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    The New York Times has a nice review of the C-class.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/auto/wheels/001210auto.html

Jack
    Wow now that's a positive review. I'm dying to drive this car, but don't want to buy until MY 2002, so I'd rather wait to start with dealers...

Thanks for the info, again! Makes sense the brake would be hand released. I drive a manual also (can't tolerate automatics) and use the hand brake on any incline (often unnecessarily, but why not). Also my Dad lives on a hill in Mill Valley (CA). His driveway is a 30% incline.

Red/Oyster is my top choice right now. I might yet go with one of the blues, but from what I've seen they're not what I'm looking for (quartz blue on CLK is nice, and the gray blue on the Passat is nice too).

I'd really like to wait until next year, to let the X-type, IS stick, and other competitors arrive, let MB fix the bugs, and see if anything interesting is up for 2002 MY. But it's so hard...
  • papadoc1papadoc1 Member Posts: 10
    I HAVE A PORTABLE CD PLAYER THAT USES A TAPE CONNECTOR TO ACTIVATE THE CD PLAYER..HOWEVER I CAN NOT CLOSE THE RADIO DOOR BECAUSE OF THE WIRE THAT CONNECTS TO THE PLAYER AND IT KEEPS BEEPING..HAS ANY ONE BEEN ABLE TO BY PASS THIS BEEPING SO I DON'T HAVE TO PURCHASE A CD CHANGER FOR 800.00 DOLLARS..
    Which red are you planning, the standard dark maroon metallic or the special order bright red like ours? Check this link for the bright red

http://www.kbb.com/nctdpics/cc01mbcclass2.jpg
    Thanks for the link. Yes, that's it, the non-metallic red. I would prefer a darker red (Volvo's red is nice), but the bordeaux is not the right color for me. Too bad because it would be $500 less.

I'm still considering orion, capri, or midnight blue as well. I'll just have to make the final decision once I start shopping and see a few cars.

Here's a link for Orion blue; I don't know how accurate the color is though:

http://www.mbnz.org/W203/messages/74.html

The color is real important to me, obviously! I'll shut up now :-)
    I think the metallic is either $625 or $675 so really the Magma is only $325-$375 more than ordering one of the metallic colors. My wife just had to have it, and it really is beautiful with the oyster interior.
    I think the metallic is either $625 or $675 so really the Magma is only $325-$375 more than ordering one of the metallic colors. My wife just had to have it, and it really is beautiful with the oyster interior.
    You can get a CD player for about $450 (shipping extra) from an MB dealer (they're franchised for other makes too) that has a mail-order business on www.clairparts.com.

Might as well get all your stuff (headlight bulbs, signal bulbs, brake bulbs, motor oil, extra floor mats, air filters, etc) from them. With dealers I often find low prices go with good service.

I used to buy all my parts from BMW South in Florida because Stephen Wolf ran a great dept. there and also offered 25% off true SRP on everything. (He stopped doing mail-order sales a while ago, because they got more walkin business.)

Lately I bought wiper inserts from the dealer I go for service (which is not my local dealer...) and they charged me $22 per insert. Also he fingered the Halogen headlamp bulbs, oops. Obviously not going back there for parts.
    That's true on the prices. I can only imagine how great your car looks...unless...you were to post pictures...
    Glad to hear the trunk is working. Your post led me to test my trunk before driving off with the new car. Hope that's the last problem you have.
    I have not seen a post from you is quite some time. What was the outcome of your "check engine" problem?
    Went out to put up the Christmas lights, finally, and came back and hit reload.
    Thanks, we're hoping it's the last problem we have as well!
    We're thinking about getting our rims chromed, has anyone here done it? If so what were the costs, and did you take care of it yourself or have it done through the dealer? I bet they'd look great on our red C, I saw a black C with them at a shopping center and they looked great!
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I'd strongly recommend against chroming the wheels. The chrome adds addition (unsprung) weight to the vehicle, hence deteriorating ride and handling. MB went to great lengths to cut down the unsprung weight of the new C-class and chroming the wheels would seem like going backwards a step. In addition to this, the chrome also weakens the structural integrity of the wheel. Obviously something you'd want to avoid.

Do not hit reload or your last message will repost itself. Instead, select the URL and hit enter. If you do double post, simply click on the post number (#310 for thsi post, for example) and click on scribble. This will permanently delete the post.

Yes, Magma Red for the C-class is nice. I have a picture of it (little larger than postcard size) sitting next to my desk.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    You don't have to purchase light bulbs or oil from Clair parts. The C-class (non-HID Xenon) uses standard light bulbs that can be found in many places on the Internet for lower prices. As for oil, I get my Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic from Walmart since they seem to have the lowest prices (8 litres ~ CDN$52 excluding taxes).

Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    I too will back up that opinion. Chrome looks great, but it will start to peel and gather rust like any other. Chrome lasts on the parts of cars that have no weight on them. It cannot take weight and jars. My brother-in-law works for a major automotive repair house (paints,parts,etc) They ship all of their chrome work to California. I asked him the price of getting mine done. Thought it would look great, once my cars arrives. He said he wouldn't advise me to do it. It was expensive and would have to be redone in a few years time. He said since I was now rich and could afford the "jack" do it, but know I'd have to redo it every few years. He said the price ran from 200-600 a tire. I'll pass, I don't have that much jack!
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Was out shopping today and drove by our central Jersey MB Dealership. Looked in the window on a Bordeaux Red (that I have test driven twice) and I do not see a "Dead Foot" pad to the left of the clutch, oh well maybe a recommendation to MB in future, as they come out with more Manual TXs.
  • tclawtclaw Member Posts: 23
    I've had my C320 for two weeks now, and was disappointed in the mileage commuting to work--about 18 MPG. There are a lot of stop signs and lights, and some downtown DC driving, but I had hoped for 20+. Maybe as it ages it'll improve. This weekend I took a 250 mile trip to NJ and averaged about 25.5 MPG on the way up, driving abut 65-75, and 27.5 MPG on the way back (!), driving a bit slower because of he traffic. Apparently the car is built for speed. It's still in its first 1,000 mles, so I didn't want to push it.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I also though that the special paint would only cost an extra $375, but apparently the $1000 special paint fee is IN ADDITION TO the $625 metallic paint fee. So in effect the special paint really costs $1000 more. If you plug a special paint or special interior color option into the MB "build you own" utility on the MBUSA website it will add that $1000 to the total in addition to the other costs. If this is incorrect some one will correct me I'm sure. I had been considering Wedgewood blue until I saw it would cost so much more and that led me to switch to Aspen green. I saw an Aspen green E-class on my dealer's lot the other day and I'm certain that it was the right choice for me. They had 3 or 4 silver vehicles sitting outside the showroom getting ready for pickup...they look pretty, but they're just so common. I wanted something a bit more unique.
This discussion has been closed.