Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• cticctic Member Posts: 291
    No, I'm not! Everyone just ignores my question so I've never found out!
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I think the hardest part is finding who the fleet manager is at the dealer. The people on the floor won't help because they don't want to lose the deal.

I have bought 4 cars the past 3 years and the internet sure made it easier.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    This term gets used, too loosely it sometimes seems, to refer to the guy in a high-volume dealership who, in the "olden days" was in charge of selling to businesses and individuals who were in the market to buy more than one vehicle at a time, or some number of cars and trucks over a year of so.

Lately, the term has become synonymous with that person in the dealership who has the sales responsibility for "affiliated organizations" like credit unions, company organizations, membership clubs, the internet, etc. The assumption here is that no one individual buys more than one car at a time, but the organization brings in enough buyers to justify some level of discount, e.g. AAA Buyer's Program, AARP Member's Program, etc. Often, in my case, this has been code for "find somebody in the dealership who is realistic about price and the marketplace."

At high-end dealers like MB, BMW, Lexus, etc, there is no tradition that this position exists, or that the dealership has any interest whatsoever in these kinds of sales. However, in competitive urban markets, it is not unusual for someone to wear this hat. Finding said person is the trick.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi All,

In order to find the "fleet managers" try to visit your dealer's website and fill up a Quick Quote. The person who is gonna contact you via email or phone is the Fleet manager or his/her associate. That is how I have found a deal on my car. Oftentimes these "managers" are like JRCT have mentioned sales people with volume sales to membership clubs (Costco, AAA,Rental Car Companies and the like). They are also called, or they call themselves Marketing Associates or Marketing Assistant Directors. So, regardless of the labeling youcoud find out by using hteir website or use the old fashioned way, call and ask for fleet managers. Receptionists know who you want to talk to. Another way in finding these people is to talk to rental companies' managers like Enterprise here in Los Angeles and Budget who specialize in renting some MB cars and ask them of a contact person they recommend to get a deal on MB. I have tried it too and it worked for me.

Good luck to you all. JRCT I always enjoy reeading your comments, please keep up your positive cntribution.

Cheers
  • yanksfan1yanksfan1 Member Posts: 7
    I have been looking for a new vehicle for about 2 months and narrowed it down to the 330i and C320. For the same set-up the Mercedes is $45,000 and the BMW is $43,000. The BMW dealer is offering me $2000 off and 5% lease financing for 36 months, bringing my payment to roughly $610. The quote out of the Mercedes dealer was $710! $30 can be explained by the MSRP difference, the remainder is the dealers unwillingness to move at all! I told him I prefered the C320, but it is not $80/month better than the 320. Can anyone out there help me with two issues:
    1) Help me understand why the C320 is worth the extra?
    2) Where can I get a better deal? Here is what the $710 is composed of: 67% residual, 8.41% effective interest rate, $500 off MSRP.

I have never purchased a Mercedes while I have owned BMW. I told them this fact, but they don't seem to give a crap if they garner a new customer.
  • ralphh1ralphh1 Member Posts: 5
    bmw and mercedes tough choice. I owned a 1999 bmw 328i followed by a 1998 slk 230 (which i sold with 11000 miles last week) new 2001 c240 with c1,c2 and c4 package with bose addon...
    both vehicle's are fine auto's....if you want a VERY sporty ride..BMW is your only choice..for a controlled "luxury/sport" ride Mercedes.
    I bought my car using www.autobytel.com...after visiting two dealers bought the car for 1000 under msrp and they dealer traded the car...purchased vehicle in pennsylvania, live in ohio....saved 2500 considering my trade over what i found in ohio...\
    just food for thought.
  • jayonejayone Member Posts: 25
    Hi just visited my dealer for a squeeky accelerator. I also experienced an odor problem. I dont know where its comming from but theres a stronge smell of some sort of fluid. Waiting to find out , is anyone else experiencing these problems!
    That dealer may be able to sell all the cars he has, he may not have any incentive to lower his price.

Answers

1) It depends on what you want. In another forum I was talking about the Honda Accord. The C320 or the 330i is not $20000 more car than the Accord either. Nobody needs a Mercedes. You have to decide whether you want to pay $80 more for one car or the other.

2) Shop around the other dealers in your area. Some people have managed to get very good deals.
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    anybody have an idea about when will 2002 prices will be out, I checked on edmunds and found only Acura to come out with 2002 pricing
  • 2002mbenz2002mbenz Member Posts: 7
    I wanted to purchase 17" 5 spoke rims from MB to put on a C240. Did any other members do this as well? Any recommendations as to whether I should go this way. The rim will definitely have to be from MB.
  • ballmdballmd Member Posts: 3
    My baby has arrived, C-240, black on black, with C1,C2,C4 and auto trans. Do you guys have a list of things that I should look for when I pick my baby up on Tuesday, May 29. Also, I got $800 off MSRP. I went thou the internet at my local MB dealer. I live in MD.
  • gerrymurraygerrymurray Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I live in Nassau County, Long Island, NY, and have been
    "hunting" on the web and scoping dealers.
    I plan on getting a 2002 black C-240 c3/c6.
    Helms bros looks like "visitation" #1.
    Like you (or anyone else!) I don't want to
    get shafted so if you've had (good or bad) vibes
    from local dealers ...pls lemme know.
    Personal email: murray@acm.org

Gerry
  • yuman1234yuman1234 Member Posts: 2
    ....I ordered a C320 in 9/00 and it finally arrived. I ordered it with sport pkg only and metallic silver paint. The dealer said that the reason why it took so long is because I did not ordered the C2 (moonroof pkg). Did anybody else experience this long of a delay in their order?

After waiting for so long, I am not inclined to pay MSRP and after reading the posts on this board, I will try to negotiate down the price and get them to throw in some freebies. It would be much appreciate if anyone has a similar experience let me know the outcome of their purchase....thanks.
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    I was in a similar situation last month. I really loved the C320, but I wanted a car which would be superior to my last car (A6-2.8). I was very close to buying a C320 with loaded, with command (not sport - was not keen on the interior trim). Anyway the car came out to about to sticker for $43,000. The dealer came out with a lease of 690 with tax for 36 months 15,000 miles per year. Even at this price I still wanted to upgrade the tires and wheels. The car just cost too much.

Then I took a serious look at the BMW 330. Ended up leasing that car (Stickered at $42,000). Because BMW has great lease rates now, I got the car for $565 with tax 36 months 15,000 miles. The 330 sports package looks great with tires IMO.

To answer your question, when it comes to leasing you need to ask the dealer three questions, How Much?, Whats the Residual? Whats the money factor.
    You wont get a deal on the Mercedes because its a new car. Mercedes have a great residual, but the money factor is very high. Thats where the $80 a month comes in. Anway, the Mercedes is a great car, but like you said not $125 month better - a least for me!

Hope this helps!
    Knowing money factors, residuals, even cap cost may not mean a thing because they use this complex formula to calculate the lease.

If you don't plan to keep the car, the only thing that is important is the monthly payment.

I know this because I lease one of my cars. Two years ago, I got all the money factor, cap cost, residual information from the net and worked out the cost as per Edmund's and other's lease formulas. Working out the formula I got a monthly payment of $550 or something like that.

When I went to the first dealer, the crook there first gave me a quote of $650/month. I told him it was too much, he went back, said it was his mistake and quoted me $590. It's all up to him what he wants to quote. I figure the crook just wanted to make some extra money by quoting me $650. I went to the 2nd dealer ordered the same car, same price, same options etc. and got a quote much closer to what my own quote was.

I'm sure it's not ethical, but I'm also sure that some of the crooked dealers will just add $20 or $30 or whatever to see if the customer will pay.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    My E430 took exactly one year (12/12/99 to 12/12/00) to be delivered. I too did not order the sunroof, although I did have some special order items, like Parktronic. However, the main reason for the long wait was the repeated postponements due to the COMAND system. I could have had the car sooner had I thrown in the towel and given up on COMAND, as many did. I'm now glad that I was patient, since I use it frequently.

Jack
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    After placing an order in March, my Obsidian Black / charcoal C320 with C2, C4, & C6 has finally arrived. Today, I managed to negotiate $800 off MSRP, a free CD changer (installed), floor mats, and two containers of Klasse all-in-one and sealant glaze. The car is a beauty and I can't wait to pick it up next week Tuesday.

This forum has been extremely informative. Within the next few days, I will be in a much better position to contribute my experiences and thoughts more regularly.

Thanks to all for a priceless learning experience.
    A few day ago, a forum member mentioned liquidprice.com as a place to get price quotes. I tried them (very easy to register btw) and received two bids within 48 hours with quotes of $1,000 and $1,100 under MSRP for the C320. Although I wasn't expecting much in terms of a price break from my dealer, this information proved very beneficial in getting the them to bend just a little bit for a pleasant surprise.
    Congratulations for your CAR; I would like to know the site you mentioned where you got off $800 off MSRP; I have booked C240 2002 with FREE CD and would like to switch to 2001 if I could get a better deal

thanks in advance
    Contrats on the new car! Glad it helped. I thought it was an interesting way of shopping.
    ya I am not that fortunate as as on date they do not have any participating dealers in my Zip code
    have you guys aware of any other related site by any chance? - thanks in advance
    RS64 - Thanks a lot for the tip. It is indeed a very interesting way to shop and I know I will be using the site again to shop for other deals.

benz747 - Sorry to hear there are no dealers in your zip code. How about using a neighboring zip code for your request? The whole process is done anonymously through liquidprice.com thus even the bids do not initially name the participating dealers nor provide them with your information.
    lanky has good advice. The only criteria is that the dealer is within 50 miles of the ZIP you enter. They don't know you, you don't know them. After the bidding process is over, you can then negotiate with the dealer (just because you accepted a bid, it is not a done deal).

I don't know of other sites like that, but autobytel and others will quote you specifically (but it is not anonymous).
    I have noticed the radio reception is not as good in my C240 as other cars I have driven on the same route. Has anyone looked in to a signal amp, etc...? Any ideas? Thanks!
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    <reception is fine on my 240
  • bingusabingusa Member Posts: 22
    > Does MB use that engine from the C240 in any of there other cars, US or otherwise?

It is my understanding that the engine on C240 is same as the one on E240 which have been sold in Europe for several years. Similarly, engines on C320 are same as E320 and ML320. I expect cross-line engine changes will occur for 2003 model year C and E class when next generation of engines are in production.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    Actually the 170 HP 2597 cc V-6 equips the E 240 as well as the C 240, in Europe at least. Earlier E 240s, just like W 202 C 240s, did have a 2.4 L V6. But no more.
  • fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    What do you use to clean the fabric around the doors on a C320/240? I tend to scuff it getting in and out of the car.

Thanks.

Robert
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Drew,

Yes, of course you can order a towing package with any C in Europe (with all cars sold in Germany, for that matter), still beats me why MBUSA does not "recommend" towing... ...what's up with that anyways, BMW does the same thing?

Mike,

As usual you are well informed. I was stuck off-line for a week in an area in Texas where not even my cell phone worked...

Glad to be back Tarik
  • captain_howdycaptain_howdy Member Posts: 5
    Took delivery on my C200K 5 days ago.

Today I noticed that the steering wheel is not perfectly centered, ie. it's something like "11.55" instead of 12 sharp when you drive straight ahead. Anyone else experienced this?

I thought it might have something to do with different pressures in the tires, but that's not the case. What is the problem and what is the solution for it?

BTW. What a magnificent ride the new C is! Have never before driven such a silent running car!
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Mine's at 12:02, correctable by service. Loose door handles is another. Any more things I need to check and add for my 10K service out there?
  • boredyboredy Member Posts: 19
    After a good problem free of 4 months, suddenly the key stop responding to door unlock and lock. However it does start the car!! Anyone experience and any suggestions?

I will be having a short list for the mbz service when i send the car for first oil change at 5k.

btw I still cant find the trunk release inside the trunk. Any help?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    may be interested in joining a new discussion on our Sedans Comparison Board at this link: MB C-class vs BMW 3 series vs Lexus IS300

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    Boredy, I inadvertantly solved my remote locking problem several weeks ago by taking the transmitter apart and putting the two batteries back in place. I think it had to do with the loose contacts.

Jack
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    I had the same problem after 4 months. Took it to the service dept. on Saturday. Service writer checked the serial number and advised me this is a known issue. He told me that the keys tend to lose their memory. He will be ordering a new ignition switch and keys. Replacing the key is not enough. When you removed and replaced the battery, you reset the key. Sometimes this works and sometimes not. In any event, I would recomend that you have them replace the whole works.
  • lancairmanlancairman Member Posts: 2
    Finally got my new C320 back from the dealer (let's see now, I have had it 2 weeks, and they have had it 2 weeks--hope that stat improves!). With regards to the intermittant ticking noted in my car and several previously: This turns out to be a design defect--nothing wrong with the car, but the fuel vapor purge valve is hard mounted to the driver's side wheel well in the engine compartment. When it activates, you can hear the sound of the valve activation through the frame (sure enough, you can feel the pulse in the hard tubes emanating from the valve with your head under the hood and the engine on). My mechanic fabricated a rubber standoff for the valve which as almost-not quite-eliminated the sound.

The other problem I noted--namely soaked rear passenger seat floormats, was due to the fact that the assembler at the factory neglected to hook up the drain from the HVAC unit under the dash to the outside of the car--thus all the AC condensation drained straight to the low point of the cabin--the rear passenger floorboard. They had to take the whole interior out and let it air-dry for 10 days!
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    Can someone let me know where I can learn what all the terms mean when leasing a car. I have seen several posts and don't really understand what it meant. is this information somewhere on edmunds.com?

Thanks in advance
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    Would some people mind sharing how much they pay for the lease on their car and for what period. I am trying to decide if I should finance or lease.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • boredyboredy Member Posts: 19
    Is that the vin number or serial number? The last 5 digits of my vin number is 61000+. thanks

One qtn for all...

Is it a good time to take car for detail wax? I have it for 4 months already, did the klasse wax on my own, apparently it doesnt feel "smooth" after the first wash since waxing.
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    Lancairman..That is unbelievable that they neglected to hook up your a/c drain. Hopefully your dealer gave you a nice MB loaner for the duration, and that will be the last of your problems for a while.

Boredy - I have my MY2000 C230K detailed at my MB dealer every March and September, including waxing. The car was also waxed as part of the dealer prep when I purchased it. And the first detailing was 5 1/2 months later. I should mention that my car spends a lot of time garaged. My car is black, I prefer to let the dealer do the waxing.
    I have a 99C, had it since late '98. I've never waxed my car, yet it still beads up when washing, so I've decided not to wax it yet. Having said that, I tend to keep my car garaged as much as possible, park under shade as much as possible.
  • lepinlepin Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem after I had my car for 3 months. Last week, my dealer gave me two new keys and both keys work well now.
  • ballmdballmd Member Posts: 3
    The site that I went to for the $800 off MSRP. was
    'www.valleymotors.com'
    Then I e-mailed what I was looking for to
    'mbennette@valleymotors.com'
    I believe it was mbennette, that told me about the discount, but just mention it to her. I went over to see the car yesterday and they gave me the benz mats.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    i have a black '01 240... unfortunateley no garage.. lots of tree pollen,and sap.. birds.. u name it...needs to be washed often...but thats ok.. i have appied zaino and it cleans up very easily as a result.i may have the dealer detail it2x a yr also.. protect the investment!
  • cre8torcre8tor Member Posts: 2
    Well,
    This is a long story but I will try to make it short.. I've been an automotive journalist for over seven years now, and I recently found myself in the market for a new car (my Acura Legend is getting old).

Being a journalist has it advantages when test driving cars, I believe I have only put about 7k miles on my personal car in the past two years, so I was ahead of the game when it came to knowing what cars I was interested in, and what monthly lease payment I was comfortable with.

It came down to three choices: the Lexus IS300, the BMW 325i, and the Mercedes C240. So to refresh my memory my wife and I proceeded to our nearest dealerships to test drive the above models.

Well, to make a long story short we decided on the Mercedes C240, it was light years ahead of the Lexus in comfort and ride. We both liked the BMW, but we decided that the Mercedes just had too many ammenities and was a much smoother ride, plus I don't like the fact that the BMW looks an awful lot like the Honda Civic.

After a trip to Germany where we test drove an SL500 for a week on the Autobahn, I have had somewhat of a catharsis when it comes to driving cars here in the states, and one of the reasons I believe that SUV's have become so popular here and not in Europe is the simple fact that you CAN NOT drive a sports car the way it should be driven, which was one of the primary reasons that I chose luxury/sport over sport/luxury.

I believe the new C class will be a hit for Mercedes with it's new S class look and attractive pricing not to mention it can certainly hold it's own performance wise with it's competitors.
    thanks for the link; will send an e-mail to him and lets hope for the best
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    How much are you guys paying for the dealer detailing? What sort of services are included in the price when you have it done at a dealer?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Welcome to the C-class topic! Thanks for your message. The details and reasons that you provided were most interesting! Hope to see you posting more here in the future.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
This discussion has been closed.