Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >congrats on the new baby!.. hope THIS one.. is a >good one

Gary -- "from your mouth to God's ears" -- with a few "knock on wood's" thrown in and no walking under ladders -- so far, so good. Cosmetically, this car in comparison to the other one looks so much better -- in fact it looks beautiful -- no visible scratches or defects. No problems have surfaced yet. But if they do, I now know the generic problems associated with the C320, so I will feel less aggravated and anxious now than I did before. (methinks :)

Miki
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    EuroNCAP has just crash tested a 2001 C 180. Check out the results for yourself here:

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm

It achieved a good score, slightly better than the VW and Audi competition. But the amazing Renault Laguna still remains the only car to have achieved 100% on the frontal collision test and the only car with a five star rating. Its test result is also at the above URL. Check it out.

Hmm, the French out "safety-ing" Mercedes-Benz? Surely there will be a response...and a few red faces in Stuttgart...

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Very interesting, thanks for the link. It does go to show you that there is always room for improvement in an already very safe vehicle. While the Renault may have done better, my humble opinion is that the C-class is still unsurpassed for its overall safety (considering MB's stringent rollover tests, rear offset collision tests, etc.). This would be the primary reason why I would personally choose the C-class over the Leguna (and the 3-series) even if it was sold in N.America.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    Fair comment, and I agree that the C is likely, in the real world, the safer car, despite only having 4 stars to the Renault Laguna's 5 stars. However, as you wrote, there is always room for improvement. Maybe they could make a few improvements and get that elusive fifth star...

Mike
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Thanks for the post.

However, alls that tells me is:

In the future that if a head on crash is imminent and unavoidable and if I have a choice of crashing head on onto a Renault Lauguna, a VW or an Audi, I will defintely steer away from the Renault, otherwise I will keep my MB C-class thank you very much.
    Loaners are free to owners, I think MB pays for it. There are only 2 MB dealers in the greater Seattle area servicing thousands of Microsoft/high tech/Starbucks/Amazon dot com MB owners so there is no way they can have enough MB loaners.

I am sure any MB loaners they have go out to S-class, SL or CL owners. Us bottom of the heap, bottom feeders will have to make to with Enterprise and worse.

The last time I had my car in Enterprise was all rented out and I had to make do with Bob's-Rent-A-Car on Bellevue Way. And I am NOT kidding. I was not amused.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    My dealer has Camrys... for everyone!
    I was never promised anything else by a salesman or service manager.I certainly have no problem driving a no cost Camry for a day,or even 2.The thought never even crosses my mind"what will the neigbors think!!??. I couldnt care less!The car is clean, safe and gets me where i need to go for the tine I have it!
    > Can someone clarify how the keys are supposed >to work with regards to the seat memory.

Hi Tim -- I read your post and was hoping someone would reply. I am on my second C320 -- the first one was programmed by the Dealer, and they had "key dependent" enabled; I had many problems with the seat memory settings in that car, one of which was the one you describe. My second 320 was not programmed at the dealer, and I am doing it myself. I have "key dependent" off and everything seems to be working fine, so far. I reprogrammed the remote key for Global rather than Selective and that works O.K. My seat memory is doing well, so I am wondering which functions "key dependent" controls. Perhaps there are some functions requiring "key dependent", such as opening the sunroof with the remote, adjusting climate control, Etc -- I have not yet tried these with holding down the remote key button after the doors are unlocked to see if they work without "key dependent".

>I thought when you have the setting on the dash >set to "key dependent" each key would remember >the last seat setting and it would return to it >once that key was used.

>Now when my wife drives and I follow her I get >crunched if I don't push the button on the door >and stop the movement

If you have stored a setting in either 1-2-3 for you and have moved the memory switch to the number holding
    your setting before you insert the key in the ignition it is supposed to work. Particularly since you are using a different key. I have just had this second car a few days and am grateful the memory is functioning better than it did in my other car, but I will experiment with "key dependent" and see what happens.

Do you have "Exit" mode enabled for both the steering column and the seat? Sometimes if you disable "Exit" mode, the memory works better.

Hope some wise person will post and shed more light on the subject.

Miki
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Our local MB dealer in Greenville (the only one in a 75 mile radius), SC doesn't keep any loaners! They state that it would be inpossible and too expensive to supply enough of them... ...except Volvo and Lexus can...

What they offer is to pick the car up from your residence/workplace and return it after the service is done. Convenient, but you're stuck without a car for one day, plus do you want anyone else to "kick your baby around" while you can't see?

Tarik
  • jayonejayone Member Posts: 25
    Hi I would like to know more about this seat rocking problem that some of you are experiencing. I think that I may also have been issued one of these seats. What exactly is the problem , is it with the back of the bottom seat cushion? So far I have been in for: malfunctioning keys, loose door hinge(drivers side),transmission fluid leaked on the exhaust creating a horrible odor in the car(loose connections),squeeky accelerator,now i may have to add rocking chair. Oh I never got a MB loaner on any of my visits. Out of loaners, issued a chevy once, gave me a ride another time, and another time i didnt have an appointment so i didnt get anything. Car would be great if it werent for these issues, I personally dont have the time for this.
  • tblountmantblountman Member Posts: 4
    Miki,
    Thanks for the response. I do have the exit feature set. I will go home tonight and try and reprogram the remote for "global" and disarm the exit setting and turn the "key dependent" setting off. Sounds like some kind of secret code. Too complicated for me. I'll let you know how things come out.
    T.B.
  • boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    For the benifit of those of us on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean -- What is a C180?
  • boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    I'm am not a MB owner yet, but the sales guy claims the dealer here will bring a MB loaner to your house and take your car in to the shop. Of course I live in a small town, not a major metro area.
    A C180 is a C-class with a 1.8l engine. We only have 2 engine choices over here, but in Europe there are about 5 engines, 2 of which are diesels. Because of the high cost of gas over there they usually offer a whole bunch of small engines.

Loaners: Yeah, one of the dealers here offers the same thing, but I've never been inclined to take them up on it. I was once in a shuttle though.
  • matthew23matthew23 Member Posts: 11
    I've been following this board for a couple of weeks (lurking, really), and finally ordered a 320 (Brilliant Silver, Ash Interior). It's on the water now, and should be available in a couple of weeks. The salesman was very helpful, and was joking with me that this is probably the last shipment of 2001s coming over -- they won't get any more until late August or September. This board has been very helpful to me in making my decision, but the clinching factor was actually driving the car. We tested the Volvo S80 and S60T5, the Lexus IS300, the MB C320 and E320, and the Infiniti I30 (in that order). I initially went into this thinking we would get the S60, but after driving the C, there was never any doubt. Now I'm anxiously waiting, checking the weather patterns over the Atlantic, and looking forward to spending some quality time stuck in traffic.....
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Actually, there are eight engine choices in Europe, three of which are Diesels. And the badges on the new MBs don't always say the truth, as we all found out (think C240). Here are the correct (German) specs:

C200 CDI 2,148cc 116 hp

C220 CDI 2,148cc 143 hp

C270 CDI 2,685cc 170 hp

C180 1,998cc 129 hp

C200 Kompressor 1,998cc 163 hp

C240 2,597cc 170 hp

C320 3,199cc 218 hp

C32 AMG 3,199cc 354 hp

MB has also announced that MY 2002 will be equipped with an improved manual transmission with tighter tolerances to aid operation (what a surprise...).

"Germanly" correct Tarik

Yesterday I was at the dealer's with a question and was in the waiting room while the Service Manager was researching. My new car was parked in the Service Dept arrival lineup just a few feet away from where I was sitting. I looked out and saw a service advisor talking to an owner of a new black S-class, whose car was parked beside mine. The service advisor was leaning back on my car fender/hood and had pens and notebooks in his back pocket. The car owner was leaning on my hood with his great big hand wearing a ring. I ran out and asked them to please not lean on my car.

When I was leaving, the car owner was lining the inside of his car with plastic preparing to leave his car for service and had swung open his driver door -- if I had not been watching, ready for another run, his door would have hit my car.

He laughed as I ran to save my car from his thoughtless action -- I did not think it was funny. I showed him his big hand prints on my hood and fender and before I knew it, he had reached in his pocket, pulled out a crumpled piece of dry kleenex and proceeded to rub my car to clean off the hand prints. Can you believe an owner of any new car, particularly black, would do this?

My sense of humor was indeed in jeopardy, but I stood as tall as my 5'2" would allow, and spoke with as much authority as my small voice could manage. I had put two coats of Klasse All-In-One and one coat of Sealer Protectant Glaze immediately after bring home the car last Wed, and there was no permanent damage.

I reported this to the Department Manager, with whom I was dealing. The cars were parked right in front of the reception desk, and he said the people there were supposed to make sure these things do not happen.

So, that's my story and I feel much better now that I have posted.

LOANERS -- a problem. I was promised a MB loaner when I was purchasing my cars. My attorney/friend told me to get it in writing, (but I did not) and now I know why. Since I bought the C320 for its good visibility, I tell them I cannot see out of the old and broken down Taurus' they want to give me. I tell them to just shuttle me home and I would rather do without. This seems to upset them and they don't want me to be without a car for two days (whenever my car has been there, it has always been for two days, otherwise it is something for which I can wait). For some reason, I really think they want me to be happy, and they do not want me to be without a car. I always get a call the next morning that they are sending someone up with a loaner C.

Miki
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I'm sorry to say this kind of behavior is more common than you might think, even around high-line dealerships. I all but had to throw a lot guy bodily across the tarmac once while I watched him start to go at my E320 with a filthy rag after the car had been through their car wash. Needless to say, he was no longer employed in that part of the business after I spoke to the Service Manager, and offered to manage this part of the dealership if he couldn't. I got a lot of apologies and all of the right noises, but the fact of the matter is that to many people who work around the cars, these are not the rolling works of art that you or I might see, but metal commodities with all of the charisma of washing machines.

One of the ongoing frustrations I have with the car business in general, but the luxury car business in particular, is how few people I meet IN the business who really CARE about cars. After a while, even the best of them seem to get bored with being around these automobiles...for me, this is like being bored working in a world-class art museum.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I had a Laguna in Hong Kong for two years. Just by lifting the heavy hood I could tell the car was built to be crashworthy. It also drove well. It is a great car.
  • ricricricric Member Posts: 6
    I had fix the rocking seats problem for 2 times
    and still it still rocking like its going to fall off
    I dont care about it anymore as there are already so many problems with it
    I m tired of going to the dealership and leave my car there for like 4-5 days
    anyway, they lent me a E320 last time
    I drove it out of states the next day =)
    alright then
    c u guys
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    My salesman had told me that I would get a Mercedes loaner whenever I brought my car in for service. The only time that I've brought it in was in the beginning when they installed some accessories. I was surprised and disappointed that they gave me a crummy Dodge.

Although it would be nice to get a Mercedes, to me the most important aspect is the convenience that I can go from point A to point B, no matter what the car. I merely have to park way in the back of my company's parking lot and make sure that nobody recognizes me. :>)

Jack
    >One of the ongoing frustrations I have with the >car business in general, but the luxury car >business in particular, is how few people I meet >IN the business who really CARE about cars. >After a while, even the best of them seem to get >bored with being around these automobiles... for >me, this is like being bored working in a world-
    >class art museum.

John,

'Tis sad, but true and exists in all areas of business. Pride in the product is diminishing. Hopefully, there are still some people out there who do everything with care and attention and derive pleasure and satisfaction in a job well done no matter what it may be. However, in today's society, these qualities do not pay the bills and often their efforts go unrewarded.

Miki
    Tim,

I thought I could be the "wise person" to answer our "key dependent" question and called 1-800 for Mercedes. I was told that if it is not "on" the seat memory will not work and that was its only function.

If mine is working with it off, then there is something wrong with my key, so says that "wise person" somewhere in Mercedesville.

To summarize, all I can say is "I dunno"!

When we have a moment, let's check it out with our service advisors and see if they can come up with some information.

Miki
    michhala: It is no laughing matter indeed. Don't feel guilty about it.

However, I think it's less to do with the people in the business not caring. Some people are just not car people. Some people only think about their car as conveyances and nothing more. My wife once backed my car into a dumpster. She proceeded to hide the fact by saying nothing. She thought that if she didn't say anything maybe I'd thought I did it. Ha ha. As if I would gash the rear bumper and not know it. I found it that very night as I said goodnight to my cars. She wrongly thought she had married a guy who would carelessly lean on his own car, wipe it off with a grit#20 Kleenex, and send it to jrct9454's dealer to be washed.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    My car is barely a week old and I am considering having the initial detailing and extra coat of sealant applied professionally. Detailer tells me he will use an orbital buffer to apply the wax and assures me it will not affect the black paint nor eat into the clear coat. My sales person tells me it is not necessary since this process is done at the factory prior to delivery. Since I don't know much about detailing, I need some help.

First off, is the car too new to consider applying this extra protection and is there a chance the paint and clear coat will be affected by using an orbital buffer? For me to do it myself, I need something that is easy to apply and not too time consuming. I know from reading the other booklets that come with the owner's manual that Mercedes recommends Meguair products. On the other hand, I have read in several places that Klasse also offers excellent products that are easy to apply. Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated.

Mikki - I am not sure how I would have reacted if I had been in your position. Glad you "drove away without a scratch." Btw, where in S. Cal did you find Klasse products?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    You can buy Klasse at any good auto parts supply place - try Kragen or Autozone, or check at highline dealers like BMW.

That said, a good wax job pretty much does the same thing - I too have had what look like surface scratches come right out with Meguiar's products [which MB uses]. The key is to get something on the paint. Which brings me to Nanky...

I am not a big fan of using orbital buffers, especially on dark colors. In the hands of a real professional, there should be no problem, and lord knows, they all do it, or they could never get any productivity out of the shop. But I have also seen some real botch-jobs that resulted in paint "burns" and swirling that were all but unrepairable. EVERYTHING depends on the skill of the person doing the work. If you trust this person, then fine...if not, do it by hand.
  • mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    Michhala, that is truly a horrible story, and I agree it does feel good to vent here. What a dufus that guy was. How about this: The awful service I've reported was concluded when I picked up the car and they had placed a single red rose right on my ash passenger seat in the hot sun. I was stunned, immediately thinking: (a) the thorns are going to tear the seat, (b) the rose bud would leave a stain on the seat, (c) the little water filled vial would leak on the seat. Fortunately, none of those things occurred, but what a lame idea. I need good service at a reasonable price: I don't need a florist. I'm just glad I didn't wake up in the middle of the night and utter "rosebud!"

Ctic, your story reminds me of words I quoted long ago in this forum from my wise MB shop foreman: "Getting a different car is like getting a different wife -- all you get is a different set of problems." Nevertheless, looks like wifey needs a talkin' to.
    Nanky -- here are two URLS affiliated with each other. One gives good info on how to detail and the other is where I order my Klasse products.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/faq.html You will find answers to all your questions here.

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html. This company is located in Tampa and I order everything from there. I am particularly fond of the "Miracle Towel" and Klasse Products which are very easy to use. If you have a question, call on their toll free number -- I always speak to Terry, who is the owner.

Klasse, I know, is available locally at my MB Parts and Accessories Dept. I had been told that Klasse is not sold in the usual places where you can find other car care products. When using Klasse All-In-One, you do not have to use anything else -- it is a cleaner, polisher, wax, Etc. I like it because it does not contain Silicone as does Meguiar's products. Silicone has a reputation of penetrating the paint and causing some oxidation and it is not liked by body shops because it has to be removed before they can do any painting. Klasse also makes a Sealant Glaze, which I just started to use. On my other black car, I just used All-In-One and it always looked wonderful.

I like Eikmann Black Pearl Quick Detailer in between washings and other treatments. Great for black cars, too. Instead of the old way of using the Original California Duster and then wiping spots with a damp cotton towel, I now use the Duster and then spray on the Black Pearl and wipe off with Miracle Towel. It takes about five minutes and the car looks great, as it lubricates the paint and gives extra shine.

Miki

>It is no laughing matter indeed. Don't feel >guilty about it

ctic -- I am amazed that you picked up on my feeling guilty. :) And I did, but not enough to keep me from protecting my car.

I love your dumpster story!

Miki

PS -- I don't say "good night" to my car, but I do talk to it now and then and use the Original California Duster more than once a day. Much TLC is given.
    >How about this: The awful service I've reported >was concluded when I picked up the car and they >had placed a single red rose right on my ash >passenger seat in the hot sun.

Now, that was really unbelievably stupid and would have made me crazy!! (It would have been better if they just gave you a hug and told you they would love you forever!:D)

Miki
    reading mikis post with sense of disgust.. you can be sure he wouldnt be laughing if some oaf was rubbing his jeans along his s class..but it was someone elses car.. so he laughs.
    heretofore i was not as fanatical about my car.kept it clean and in good working order yes.But.... part of the reason i bought an MB.. and not some other car is that ,if kept in excellent condition... it will command a better price when its time to sell(i purchased)at this point.. the car is holding its value better than my portfolio!!!!! ughhh!
    miki..thanks for the sights..on your say so.. this time im gonna try the klasse.
    Are you single? Maybe the receptionist or service advisor was making a pass at you.

And getting a different car is not like getting a different wife. You don't have to sign over 1/2 your net worth and keep making payments until someone else buys the car. Now what about a lease? Zero down, walk away 36 months later, and a new car. Wait, my wife is coming
    >CTIC WILL NOT BE POSTING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

ctic,

Will you, at least, be given bread and water?

Miki
    >miki..thanks for the sights..on your say so.. >this time im gonna try the klasse.

Gary -- I am so pleased, and there are some good car-care forums to which you can link.

Miki
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    My dealership gave me a C320 as a loner while my C240 was in for service. I noticed the center vent dials are back lit at night. Is this only an option on the C320?

Does anyone with a C240 have back lit dials?
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for the detailing tips. Mikki, I found the sites very informative. Just finished chatting with Terry and should receive my Klasse products and miracle towel by mid next week. No more thoughts of having the car professionally detailed. I will do it myself .

nanky
    Nanky -- most welcome.

Miki
    yes dials on center dash vent are lit at night
    When did you take delivery of your C?

I wonder if mine came with a burnt out light bulb.
    got mine early..last nov.. its been virtually flawless.. just some squeaks in drivers seat.. easily taken care of. other than that, as problem free as a(dare i say it?) LEXUS!
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    The F1 medical car is a C32 wagon, I don't recall seeing one before..
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    The vertical ventilation dials/thumb wheels (above the tape deck) on air vents do not light up at night on my 240. Center one is light blue
    in color, left and right are white.
  • PrestaPresta Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

First my main key stopped working and now it's the spare key. They both reactivate when I plug them into the key slot on the dash, but they "forget" as soon as they're removed.

Anyone else had this trouble?

I called Mercedes and they told me to visit my dealer for new keys. I asked if this was a known problem and the customer service rep immediately said, "Yes, this is a problem with the C-Class."

I've got a call in to my dealer. I'm interested to see if anyone here has also had key trouble.

Presta
    Yep, those are the dials. When did you take delivery of your C?
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    I just had my key problem fixed by the dealer.

No new keys. They replaced the ignition switch only. My wife forgot to bring my key with her when she brought the car in. I put my key in the ignition and the LED said something like "programing key please wait" after about 10 seconds, presto, my "broken" key now works like new. (Actually, better than new because it works now.)

They also rotated the tires at 6k miles. The service advisor asked her if there was a "Vibration" when she asked to have the tires rotated. In and out in one day, MB loaner, all No charge of course.

The real test was my wifes response when I asked how it all went. She said "They were MARVOULOUS"! What more can I say. Kudos to Leith MB in Raleigh

BTW the service writer owns 2 MB's
    I read a review in the the current R&T on the C32 that says that "power braking"; braking with your left foot while keeping throttle applied, is not possible on that car because as soon as you touch the brake, the ECU cuts engine power. Is that true on the "regular" C Class also, has anyone tried this?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I wouldn't try that anyway since it really raises the transmission temperature and can very prematurely wear it out. It's also known as brake torquing and you can use it to shoot away from a dead stop w/o a lag.

Yes, it's true for all MB vehicles with ESP or ASR.

Now regarding the lighted dials, I wonder if it matters if you have the different auto climate control system that is in the C320, and not the one in the C240?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bankohbankoh Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone ordered a cd changer from clairparts.com. What is the warranty on that unit? Is the company reputable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    ordered mine from clair.. cost a bit over $400 complete with installation parts. claire is an MB dealer in the Boston area with an online sight/ if u call them they are very polite and helpful.So the cd changer is exactly the same unit you would get from your nearby dealer... my dealer in nj installed it for $80 dollars as i remember... total savings over buying it from my dealer? about $300!!!
    Yes, I know it isn't the greatest thing for the car, but I need it sometimes in Manhattan to battle the cabbies.

So what happens, the throttle is totally non functional if the brake is depressed? Nothing happens if you press the gas pedal?
This discussion has been closed.