Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I don't use my horn much either. I'd rather just laugh it off then blip the horn and possibly risk a road rage incident. Unless of course it's someone doing something like backing out without looking, or day dreaming for more than 4-5 seconds after the traffic light turns green ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    thanks for the information, but the photos are not on WWW they are in my drive C, three JPG files, if you can give me your e. mail address I can send them to you and you probably could help to make them appear to fellow members of this forum

thanks in advance
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    About the photos - just keep in mind that you can only use the "img src" tags to post photos for which you own the copyright. Otherwise, you can post a link to the photos, as long as that is okay with the site hosting them.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    http://www.competitionpress.com/carnews/2001_stories/0702_headliner.mv

I have my c320 for 3 months now, and there were few small problems, but nothing compares to what most new BMW owners have experienced. Glad that I made the right choice.

I have my c320 for 3 months now, and there were few small problems, but nothing compares to what most new BMW owners have experienced. Glad that I made the right choice.

• johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,

I have posted earlier about the slugginesh felt in the transmission when you switch gears mostly from 1st to 2nd gear. Well, I took my car to service and it was fixed under warranty.

It took them 9 hours of labor and what they have found out was that the Torque Converter is locking "impermissibly" and they have labeled it a "sporadic fault." They have ended up replacing the Torque Converter, replaced valve body and filter, replaced control unit due to sporadic can, reset communication faults, and performed shift adaptation for shift quality.

If any of you are still experiencing slugginesh in the transmission you could email me and I will email you with the parts numbers needed for this warrantied work.

The transmission is super now and I am grateful to you all for the warning and especially JRCT for your technical expertise.

Cheers,

Johnny2000
    Sorry for the multipal posts above. I have been away from this board for too long. Anyway, a new problem in my C320: A little plastic bar that holds the window washing fluid bottle is melted, so the bottle brakes off from the metal frame. You have to pop the hood in order to see it. Afterwards, I checked with NHTSA, and there are recalls on 2000 S and CL models on the exact problem. My dealer replaced the bottle kit in less than an hour. I was surprised that they had the part in stock, so maybe this had happened to other owners too.???
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    And if you want to see one of the results, look at http://www.eliteviews.com

The 3 series does feel a bit more solid than the C in curves at the Powertrip comparison. The C coupe felt more nimble though and cornered flatter.
    I think getting the optional sport package ought to satisfy most people's wants for a more spirited driving experience with the C-class. The slightly lower ride height, combined with the firmer springs and shocks + sportier tires definitely help, but yet the ride is not uncomfortably firm.

Drew
    Host
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    That's probably true, but we didn't get to experience it on the Powertrip. :-)
    Plus the Sport option is $$ :-P
    The normal C is better than pretty much all they had there as competitors except maybe the 325i; I wasn't fond of the 3 series interior. The Audi interior was equal in quality.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    Drew:

Aren't you proud of us! -- we have established here, sort of, that we are just as courteous and lacking in rude as the Europeans when it comes to using our horns :)

I am hoping that if I keep my car clean and washed, I will not have to use the headlamp. washer often (using the headlamp washers as a weapon does appeal to me, however).

I did not have the Xenon on the 320 Black and I found the low-beams not good enough. I am very happy I added them to the Obsidian. I did get them though for the wrong reason -- because I drive so much faster now than I did in my BMW, I needed to see further down the road because I arrived there faster (well, it makes sense to me!). The Xenon provides excellent light but its range is not that far down the road to get there before I do :)

Miki
  • maxq2maxq2 Member Posts: 6
    What's the deal for subscription pricing for this service? Do we get one year free with a three year subscription?
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    Has anyone noticed that there are never any used C240's or 320's in the paper or the dealers lot? Guess that means that in spite of all the little gremlins in the car, most people (myself included) are satisfied over all with the car.

I was planning on upgrading to a 320 after a year or so, but I never see any available.

I have about 7000 Miles and no complaints.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    The first year is free even if you don't buy additional years. However, you do get a price break for subscribing for a 2 yr. or longer plan (giving you + years of service).

BTW - has anyone used the service for anything?
  • maxq2maxq2 Member Posts: 6
    I always have a cell phone in my car and I also have AAA so I don't know how useful this service will be for me. Maybe I would use the service if I got lost out of state once in a blue moon but that's it.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    In addition to the free first year subscription, you also get a one-time allotment of 30 free minutes. Additional minutes are charged at .40 per minute in AT&T coverage areas and .75 outside AT&T coverage areas. Route assistance is billed at $2.95 per call.

Just more little stuff to know about the service. My ignorant self initially thought the subscription fee covered everything.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    I am also considering the cell phone option at the end of the first year. The neat thing about teleaid is that it sends a message once the airbags deploy, a feature that can be useful for those of us who ply remote areas at odd times of the day. Other than that, the cell phone should work and if I am not in a position to use it, I am almost sure other kind hearted motorists will dial 911 for me.
  • tschreyertschreyer Member Posts: 12
    Also, if your anti-theft alarm goes off, and is not disabled within a certain time, the car will call for help! Then they call down the contact list to tell you. And if stolen without break-in, the GPS can locate the vehicle. Not sure either of these can be used if your subscription is not renewed.

And then there's the not often needed (but when it is, it is) remote unlocking.

We just made our acceptance call last week and I was impressed that even though my neighborhood is less than 3 years old, that they pegged the exact names of the closest streets. My wife and I made the call together and really appreciated the Neat-O factor (we're both low-scale techno-geeks).

Has anyone tried the remote-unlocking via email? I'd love to send my new car a note!

Tim
  • dawindawin Member Posts: 15
    Saw a used C320 (loaded) at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA. That was a few months ago.
  • bingusabingusa Member Posts: 22
    58 Found for 2001 C's on latimes.com used car search. I could not attach the link as it is longer than 115 char that Edmunds allows for a single word.
  • htma1htma1 Member Posts: 10
    Our black C240, which finally arrived last month ten weeks after we dropped it off in Germany (European delivery program), is doing great - no quality issues to note on the car. I was disappointed with the dealer, who did no preparation on delivery - the car was dirty just as it came off the truck, with no check of fluids, tire pressures, etc. Have just got 3000 miles - will probably change oil this weekend.

I notice, though, that the manual says there are some audio signal processing modes (driver, ambience, etc) in the radio. I can't access that control - is it just available with the Bose system? Anyone fool around with audio controls on a base 240?
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Jerry,
    I'm pretty sure the "AMBIENT" mode is only available on the Bose stereo upgrade in the C 240,
    (which is standard in the C 320). I have the Bose upgrade, you press the AUD softkey to get to the AMBIENT select feature.
    Ian
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    I attend the MB re-acquaintance seminar today with 15 other MB owners. It takes us to the workshop where technicians answer any questions we have. He then opens the
    hood, jacks up the car, removes the underbody panel, and walks us through the underbody to show the various systems (catalytic converter, rack and pinion steering,
    suspension, exhausts, gas tank) and features. Very interesting to non-mechanic like me.

Then there is a demo of car features for those who don't read the manual. Points of note during the seminar:

1. There are 2 connected gas tanks in the new C, under rear bench on left and right. Fuel pump on the left but gas is continuously rebalanced to ensure equilibrium
    and maintain handling quality.
    2. If gas filler cap is loose the check engine lamp will come on.
    3. Car is equipped with a fuel canister connected by a hose to the top up portion of gas tank to condense gas vapour and reroute to the fuel tank. The purpose is to
    save fuel and reduce gas vapour which is a fire hazard. If tank is topped up gas may flood the canister through the hose. Check engine will light up and draining the
    canister is a major labour job = $$$. So DON'T top up the car.
  • wonderingaloudwonderingaloud Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a car and would like some advice between a new accord ex (4 or 6 cyl) versus a 1996 C220 with 52000 miles. I have heard and don't know if this is true, that the Mercedes are more expensive to maintain and the body may not hold up as well. I am looking to hold onto this car for at least 5 years and could very easily put 100,000+ miles on it. Thoughts?
  • ghaysghays Member Posts: 8
    Here is a thought. Go look at a C220 (or any modern Benz, for that matter) with 100k on the clock, then look at an Accord with 100k on the clock.

My hunch is that both will run fine, but the cheap materials of the Honda will start to show their age (uphostry, paint, thin sheetmetal, etc).

There are many Benz's in the world with multiple 100k miles on them. How many Hondas last that long? Benz's are built to last, Hondas (and most other cars for that matter) are disposables.

Do I sound opinionated? Good. I am.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Having owned both I would go with the Benz. No contest. Whoever told you the Benz "may not hold up as well" is wrong. Go drive one with 300K miles, and there are many around, and you will find it still solid. A V6 accord will be more peppy than a C220 but there is no comparison in the ride.
  • calchcalch Member Posts: 11
    Bought a C320 about two weeks ago and so far everything has been great. The only problem I have is figuring out the climate control, when it is not on auto. Whenever we turn it off, put it on EC or open the windows/sunroof, the middle of the front window fogs up. The manual states that that can happen when the auto function is off, but I figure there must be a way to use the sunroof without the fogging problems. Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem or is there something wrong with my climate control?
    Thanks for the help.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    The best comparative testimonial I can recall is that of a German coachbuilder that converted Mercedes Coupés to convertibles. One customer asked for a Honda/Acura Legend Coupé to be converted in the same way as the Mercedes the shop was used to working on. When the workers began cutting, they noticed that all the Honda/Acura sheetmetal was thin. So thin, in fact, that they had to but new welding equipment to finish the Honda/Acura job, as the welding kit used on the Mercedes would burn holes clean through the Honda/Acura. The chassis needed more reinforcement too, to make up for the loss of the roof.

Enough said - this is not urban legend (no pun intended) - it was published in a US car magazine a few years ago.
    Mark -- thank you for the info contained in your post.

Miki
  • bbilly1bbilly1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys, I had a 98 Accord very good car no doubt but I also have a 95C280....No comparision..I love the BENZ. I'd buy the BENZ again... I have 33000 miles on my C no problems not one... love the car but do plan to sell. I can't decide between the new C or the ML.

I used the C280 in snow felt pretty good and safe.. Guys help me decide between the ML and C PLEASE!! I love them both.
  • mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    I have the same fogging in a little spot right in the middle. It doesn't spread, so it's not a big deal, but I've tried lots of different settings and nothing seems to work.
  • ktanktan Member Posts: 9
    I recently had an accident whereby my front airbag deployed. About 10 secs later, the Teleaid came on and asked if I needed help.
    I'm now a firm believer in this great feature!!!

By the way, getting spare body parts is very difficult on the 2001 C320, took 12wks to have my car fixed. Half the parts had to be flown in from Germany.
    >I have the same fogging in a little spot right >in the middle. It doesn't spread, so it's not a >big deal, but I've tried lots of different >settings and nothing seems to work.

I find that lowering the temperature wheel of triangle vent on top of the dash under the window clears it up immediately.

Miki
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    D'oh!

I had an unfortunate typo above - the coachbuilder had to BUY new welding equipment, not "but" some... Sorry
  • gfish49366gfish49366 Member Posts: 7
    My AM stations are making a static noise when I put on the brakes. It sounds just like the engine revving down, interfering with the AM radio. Does not do this with FM. This just started happening the last few weeks. Wondering if anyone has had this problem before, and if so how to fix it. Thanks, Greg
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Not sure if this has anything to do with #3638 but a while back I reported a problem with AM reception here on the board. When I had the car in for the 4,000 mi oil change (my choice) I had them look at the problem. Turns out there is a antenna amplifier somewhere in the car and mine is to be replaced in a few weeks. Not a quick job either as the car has to be left there for a few hours.

I'll post back with the results for those who are interested in this issue.

JR
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    I too have the same problem. It is especially annoying in the early morning, with the glare from the street lights hitting it. I have a problem with a white haze developing over the entire windshield. I have to clean the inside about every two weeks.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    "Guys help me decide between the ML and I PLEASE!! I love them both."

bbilly1, We got a ML in October and a C240 last month. We really liked the ML but for the family we needed something larger w/ more room. The ML with 3rd row seats is perfect. We replaced a RX300 and it was the best move we've made. When it was time for another car, we got the C. I use it mostly for commuting to work (90 miles a day) and it is wonderful. My wife was also happy so she can cruise in it on the weekends.

So, if you need a family car w/ tons of room I would recommend you go with the ML, but if it is just for 1 or 2 of you and you like something sportier, go for the C.

Good luck.
  • p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    With Forums, pictures, reviews, statistics, and more!

C32AMG Life!

http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/lig/9/9/996/

• texaslead1texaslead1 Member Posts: 4
    I was driving home from work in my 91 300E, when out of no where, I get rear-ended by a 2001 Lincoln LS going about 30 mph. Well, superior Mercedes safety engineering saved me and my coworker. To make a long story short, my 300 I, which I have owned for 10 years and 210K was considered a total loss by the other party's insurance and they cut me a nice check. I didnt want to pay 45-50K for a new E class, so I bought a base C240 with an automatic transmission. But Hey, it is far from "base". I think is it one hell of a margin. We got it last month for $31,085 with a sticker of $31,835. Sure, I could have gone to priceline.com and got a few hundreds dollars off, but we purchased from the same saleman that I purchased my E back in 91 for $450 over cost back then. TAlK about one hell a bargin, with this new C. Mercedes Benz invested of $1.5 BILLION INTO THIS INCREDIBLE CAR, and I get the drive for $460 per month for 60 months and then its all paid off. I love America!!
  • chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    Hi everyone!

I am thinking about buying a 2000 C230 Sport (the one with the two-tone seats and white gauges, 16" wheels, sport suspension, etc.) and I'm wondering if I'm getting a good deal at $ 31,000.

The car has just under 10,000 miles on it, and appears to be in very good shape. It has a power moonroof, but no other options to speak of. It's Starmarked, and I plan to buy the extra warranty.

Does anyone know what the original MSRP was for this car? The dealer didn't say it was a Special Edition model, but weren't they the only ones with the 2-tone black and grey seats?

We have owned MBs for years, and still have our 1992 500SEL, but I'd really like a smaller car for driving around town, and this C seems like it might be a good option.

Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Chloe
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I believe the asking price is WAY too much for the old body style with 10k miles. You can get a 2001 C240 for about the same price with a few options!!
    If you're willing to spend that much, the '01 C240 or the '02 C230 Kompressor sport coupe will be better choices for you. You get a brand new car which hasn't been used or abused, with all of the improvements feature-wise, as well as safety-wise. With a small car, you want as much safety as you can get, IMHO. Since you seem to keep your cars for a long time, spending the little bit extra to get a brand new vehicle may not be a bad idea.

Check out Edmunds.com's TMV price for the 2000 C230K sedan by clicking here. The price that they're asking does seem to be quite high.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Hi!

After I posted my message, I checked out the prices on Edmunds and then emailed a few dealers in my area for a quote on a fairly basic 2001 C240. Truthfully, the only option I'm hoping for is heated seats, but I can live without them if I have to. I'd like the CD changer, but Mercedes charges so much for them, and I'm trying to stick to a budget right now. (I can always add the CD later.)

Thanks for your advice -- after I read your postings, I started thinking about the small price difference between the 2000 and the 2001, and unless I can get an incredible deal on the 2000 (which I'm sure I won't!) I think I'll just get a 2001.

Thanks again!!!

Chloe
    Hi!

I just posted the last message and forgot to ask if anyone has seen any good deals on C240s in New Jersey (NY or eastern PA are ok too!) -- I'm interested in the sedan because I need a 4-door car. I'm very flexible about the interior and exterior colors, although my favorite combination is black/charcoal.

I know discounts seem to be few and far between, but if anyone has received fair and friendly treatment at a dealership lately, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
    Chloe
  • ricricricric Member Posts: 6
    Hi, do you guys think the 02 C 320 will have less bugs than the 01 model?
    there are some minor problems on my 01 C 240 and I am thinking of trading it with the 02 C 320.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Chloe, are you a Costco member? I've heard that the Costco new car buying program has some MB dealer affiliates in the NJ area, that may be an easy first place to start. If you read back through the posts, you'll see several people have been getting the CD changer "thrown in", even when paying MSRP for the car. Also keep in mind that the model year rollover for the C is just about to take place, you may be looking at a 2002 right now. Good luck...
    A suggestion regarding the CD changer. You can purchase it from another MB dealership and have it installed at yours. Check out http://www.clairparts.com . You'll probably find that it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what your dealership wants.

You may also want to check out the MB owner's club area, specifically the dealer and service experience topics in the various classes (C, E, M) for dealer recommendations. I remember seeing several posts about dealerships in your area.

Good luck and feel free to ask for suggestions! We also have a live MB chat every Tuesday at 6-7pm Pacific that you may want to pop into. The link to the chat is at the top of this page, just above the discussion topic title.

Drew
    Host
    Hi!

I'm a member of BJ's Wholesale Club and they don't have any MB dealers in their auto buying deal. Costco is only about 10 minutes from my house, so I'll check out their list of participating dealers. Thanks for the tip -- I don't know why I didn't think of it myself!

Also, thanks for the tip about the CD player. I might not get it "thrown in" but it's worth asking.

Anyone know when the 2002s are coming out? If the price is about the same, I might just order a 2002 and wait for it, especially since there don't seem to be any discounts on the '01s.

I'll also check out the Owner's Club area for dealership ideas. There are LOTS of MB dealers in my area -- I'm just trying to find the best one. I bought my last MB at Mercedes of Morristown, but they don't have any C240s in stock, and the salespeople I spoke with seemingly could care less about helping me find one. (And I didn't even ask about the prices!) I'm going to try Globe in Fairfield and Millenium in Bridgewater tomorrow unless I hear anything unpleasant about them before then!

Have a nice Sunday afternoon!

Chloe
This discussion has been closed.