Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Chloe,
    I am leasing my C 240 6 speed Desert Silver / Charcoal interior from Millennium MB in Bridgewater on Rt. 22. I have been very impressed with the entire dealership !! Ask
    for Ed C. in Sales. I also had to have heated seats and love the 2 setting level: Hot for first 5 mins., then automatically switches over to the lower setting. This is my first MB. Now at 4600 beautiful miles. I ordered in Nov. and took delivery Feb. 15th.
    Ian
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I like the level 2 setting too. Actually I find that I'm usually keeping it on level 2 for about 10 minutes before switching over. But this is in the ML. When I first tried the heated seats in the new C, I was shocked at how quickly they warmed up. Even fast than the ML's which I thought were already very fast! I had to turn the C's off (was in Level 2) in about 4 minutes to avoid burning my behind ;-) I use the seat heating feature on long (>30 minutes) drives since I find that it feels quite soothing. Unlike many other makes, MB's seat heating heats the seat base and the lower back area too, as you may have noticed.

Oh yeah, happy Canada day to the Canucks out there! image

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Hi Drew: Heavy T - storms down here today !!
    Looking forward to 4th of July Wednesday !!
    Cheers!!! (p.s. how'd "they" do that with the
    3D wavy Flag....Well Done).
    image Canadians celebrate country's 134th birthday! image
    In case you have not seen a whole bunch of photos, see Post # 2 (link to my PhotoPoint Album) and # 4 in the MB C Class Owners Photo Gallery, for lots of different C Class exterior colors (all taken at Millennium), and charcoal interior.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Coated the inside of my front window with RainX anti fog and it seems to take care of the problem. I'm curious why it happens though...AC is supposed to remove moisture from the air. I'm guessing when the frosting on the AC coils evaporates some goes up through the center vent and the rest as water out the drain tube? Don't think this problem is going to cause a major recall :-)
  • bubba3007bubba3007 Member Posts: 38
    I have experienced this too. but only on the outside. I just figured that the very efficient A/C was cooling the glass to below the dew point of the outside air and condensing. I haven't had any condensation on the inside of the windshield. Solution? A single swipe of the wipers.

Bubba

"... my friends all drive Porsches. I must make AMENDS..." J. Joplin
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Do both the E320 and C320 have the same engine? If so, does the C handle better since it is a smaller car? Any input that you might have, pro or con to either of these models is appreciated. Thanks.
  • chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    Hi again,

Thanks for the tip about Millenium in Bridgewater, NJ. I looked at a few pre-owned MBs there recently, but they didn't have anything I wanted. It seemed like a nice dealership though, and everyone I spoke with seemed quite helpful. I just requested a price quote (online) from them, so cross your fingers for me!

I really enjoyed looking at the photos of the cars in the PhotoPoint link on the owner's board. I always buy black cars, but I'm really starting to like that Bordeaux Red...

Anyway, does anyone know when the new 2002 C240s are coming out, or if they can be pre-ordered yet? In case I can't find the right 2001, I could always order a 2002 if the wait isn't going to be too L-O-N-G!

Thanks again for everyone's help. Hope everyone had a fun weekend. Mine would have been better if I'd been able to buy my new car!

Regards,
    Chloe
  • chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    Hi!

It's just my opinion, but I have driven the C240, the C320, and the E320, and I really think the C-Class is more fun. The E320 has a definite "sedan" feeling, which isn't a bad thing, but I prefer the peppy C-Class. If you go with an E-Class, you might want to consider the V8 engine with the sport package if you want more responsive handling.

When I was shopping for a pre-owned MB, I drove a 1997 E420 Sport and a 1998 E320 back-to-back, and there was a real difference in power and handling between the two cars (at least I thought so.) I liked the E320 until I got into the E420 Sport!

I hope you'll hear from other people about this though, because since both cars I drove were pre-owned, my preferences could have a lot to do with the condition of those specific used cars.

I have decided to buy a new C240. I like the power of the C320, but I can't see spending the extra money in my case, because I'll only drive the car about 2,500 miles a year.

By the way, my current car is a 1992 500SEL, so if you're worried that my preferences have always been biased toward the smaller cars, remember that most sporty little cars could fit in my trunk... I just honestly prefer the C-Class to the E-Class.

Good luck with your decision-making!

Regards,
    Chloe
  • matthew23matthew23 Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up my brand new C320 on Saturday. I was reading the manual (or should I say, encyclopedia), but it was somewhat unenlightening on the engine break-in period. Basically, it just says to drive at lower speeds for the first 1000 miles. What about highway driving? Under 60? Under 70? I don't want to mess anything up, but driving under 60 on Atlanta highways can be dangerous to your health. Any tips?
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    The best advice is to NOT hold the engine speed constant during the first 1000 miles or so. That is when the piston rings are bedding in to the cylinder walls. Constant engine speeds will not allow the piston rings to bed in properly, leading to higher oil consumption.

So if you're driving on the highway, vary your speed regularly - do not put it on cruise control in the break-in period.

Also, keep the revs down.

Mike T.
  • matthew23matthew23 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Mike, that's very helpful. One further question: when you say vary speeds regularly, how regular is regular? Every minute, every couple of minutes? Sorry if I sound so dense on this subject.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Keep it below 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles or so...this allows for all of the highway driving you want to do. The advice about varying engine speeds simply means don't set the cruise control and go off into the sunset during those first few miles. Generally, moving the rpm around every 15-20 minutes is a reasonable guideline. You can drop down into 4th for a couple of minutes when in suburban situations for example - the main thing is to avoid high rpm until it starts to loosen up.
  • tschreyertschreyer Member Posts: 12
    My new C240 has about 640 miles now. I've been trying to keep it below 3500, and have been doing reasonably well except for the occasional necessary short pull out into traffic.

Is it my imagination, or can you actually feel an engine loosen up? Engine revs over the whole range seem a bit smoother now -- but it's entirely likely I'm obsessing. :-)

And this morning was a nice cool 60 degrees F here in PA, and it was great to drive in today without the AC on and sucking at my horsepower. It makes a difference with the 2.6L engine, but nothing like in my last car with a 140 HP 4 cyl.

Tim
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    For what it is worth -- two service advisors have told me there is no need to worry about the break-in period. The important thing to remember is that the engine needs different speeds as said in a previous post, so cruise control is not recommended. Normal everyday driving in traffic and highways gives you the changes of speed. They also said not to worry about the rpm -- I had been told by many "car buffs" not to go over 4000 -- that said, my highest mph in 900 miles has been about 95-96, and I think that is under 4000 rpm.

Miki
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    >> that said, my highest mph in 900 miles has been about 95-96, and I think that is under 4000 rpm.

Hmm...and this is even during the "break in" period. Sounds like Miki has a heavy foot.

Actually, my service folks also told me not to worry too much about the break in period. Likewise, I used normal LA traffic to vary my speeds and made a conscious effort to keep the rpm around 3500
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    americans get a waving flag on the 4th????? lolol
  • tschreyertschreyer Member Posts: 12
    ...if someone tracks down a waving-flag GIF!

It was a Grand 134th...we are so young...

sorry for being too anxious...HAPPY 4TH of JULY !!!

Ian -- I am impressed!

Miki
    Hi Drew,

I had my car washed today. I was doing some errands and saw that the car wash had moved one of the side-view mirrors. Since I was driving, I used the touch and feel method and pressed what I thought was the button for the passenger side-view mirror -- alas, it was the headlamp. washer button. What a monster this press of the button released! -- it must have been created by one. It sprayed white cleaning fluid all over the hood, the fenders, the windshield, the top grill, the front grill. It is with even more conviction that I again say I will not knowingly use the headlamp washers (the washer button is quite close to the mirror button).

Miki
    >Hmm...and this is even during the "break in" >period. Sounds like Miki has a heavy foot.

Nanky -- How heavy can one size 5 foot be when backed by 106 pounds :)?

Miki
    >>>How heavy can one size 5 foot be when backed by 106 pounds :)?

With a little spring in the ankle, a size 5 foot can do wonders in a nimble C. The spray from the headlamp washer sounds powerful. I will try mine to make sure it works only when the car is ready for a wash.
  • damcnealdamcneal Member Posts: 11
    Test drove a C240 automatic, and loved it! Also like the Audi A4 with Quattro, and the Saab 9-5. Wondering about the MB in the snow. Here in Central IN we get some sloppy and slick days. Have never owned any of these cars before (we have a Saab 9-3, a pig in snow w/o the snow tires). Any suggestions? I'm moving up from a Honda Accord (Big Move!), and really felt secure in bad weather with it. Any help is appreciated!

Dee
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    If bad weather performance is a high priority, the A4 quattro is a no brainer.
    If you can wait a few months more, the C-class 4-matic (AWD) will be apparently coming out soon. That way you can have your cake and eat it too. BTW, if you don't know already, the upcoming '02 Audi A4 is an all-new model.

Stop by our weekly MB Tuesday chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific if you would like to chat live with owners. Hope to see you there!

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    You said the C-class 4-matic (AWD) will be apparently coming out soon. Could that mean as early as October? Also have you heard any rumors about the price of this model?
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    will probably all be sold at MSRP for the 1st 6 months or 1st year. Will have multiple options on it and hard to get a hold of.
    No, it won't be that early as ctic mentioned. More likely spring 2002 at the earliest. Expect a C320 4-matic wagon too. My own personal speculation based on what I've heard from the dealer, is that it will will cost about CDN$2K more than the RWD C-class, similar to the price differential between the E320 RWD and the E320 4-matic. Not a bad deal considering that snow tires + new wheels will cost probably 1/2 that already.

Just my 2 cents...

Drew
    Host
    >The spray from the headlamp. washer sounds >powerful. I will try mine to make sure it works >only when the car is ready for a wash.

nanky -- Methinks you will be safe from these wretched washers if you cover the front end of the car and stay inside the car for protection. :)

Miki
    The spray from the headlamp washers has to be powerful to clear off all of the grime that can build up. They're extremely effective for blasting off the spray that gets onto the headlamps when driving in winter/snowy conditions. The old mini wiper based headlamp washer system didn't have washer jets. Instead, there was a built in nozzle in each of the headlamp wipers and it would spray the washer fluid as the wiper worked. The problem with that mini wiper system was that if the rubber blades were dirty, they could smear. Also, I found that sometimes the wipers wouldn't park into their original rest locations; one wiper may be a 1/2 inch higher on the headlamp :-). Nonetheless I loved them!

There never used to be a seperate headlamp washer button. Instead, the headlamp washer system would only activate if the headlamps were manually turned on + the main windshield washer function was activated. That would mean that you could get both your windshield and your headlamps blasted with washer fluid simultaneously ;-)

Miki, next time one of those squeege kids by the road comes up to your car, you can use these washers on him ;-)

Drew
    Host
    THANKS FOR THE FLAG GIFS!
    depending on how muxh snow... here in jersey.. the c240 was ok... as good as a quattro? doubt it.
    still having so much fun with my car..... love driving in the nice weather.... !
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    I've heard that the C 4Matic will be available in Europe next Spring, and in North America next Fall (2002). If anyone has contrary info, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Hi Drew -- "Blasted" fits the description. I felt as if the riot squad was hosing me down. I now understand the headlamp washers' purpose for being. Thank you, but suspect they are not needed here in Southern California. It was explained to me, however, that the Xenon needed the motor within the headlamp washer. Does not make sense to me as to why this is -- but the owner of the dealership tried to have the car built for me with the Xenon but without the added headlamp. washer/heated seat package.

The E-class has the Xenon and the headlamp washers bundled together and the heated seats as a separate package

>next time one of those squeegee kids by the road >comes up to your >
    >car, you can use these washers >on him ;-)

The suggestion box welcomes all ideas and comments as to what I can do with these headlamp washers. :)

Leaving tomorrow for a week, but want to wish everyone a Happy Fourth.

Miki
  • flyingfoxoneflyingfoxone Member Posts: 12
    Living with luxury, C-class style....

Having an air conditioning vent in the center of the dashboard -- aiming straight up at the inside of the windshield -- is a new experience for me. Here are some things I have learned about it:

1. It's pretty cool. A real blast in the face, so to speak. Helps a lot with knocking down the inside temp after the car heat-soaks on a sunny parking lot.

2. Bubba is right. It cools a spot in the windshield so it's cold enough that a fog will form on the OUTSIDE, if the humidity on the outside is high enough. Just like the moisture on the outside of an iced drink glass. This is probably a worse problem in the South and East than here in (usually dry) Southern California.

3. That middle vent is a real hog, and very inconsiderate of your back-seat riders. Try this: close the center vent, then notice that the rear A/C vents (behind the front armrest) will double in flow.

4. That middle vent is noisy. Next to the radio or your relatives in the back, it's the noisiest thing in the car you have the power to turn off. I do, most of the time. This can result in: a) no mist on the windshield, b) happier rear-seat passengers, c) sonic bliss, and d) no cool air in the face.

Well, three out of four ain't bad, even for a luxury car....
    ... IVE HAD THAT CENTER VENT TURNED OFF FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW(ONCE WINTER WAS OVER) ALSO TRY PUSHING THE RECIRULATE BUTTON TO COOL FASTER... AND... START WITH AUTO COOL BUTTON OFF AT 1ST... LETS U PUT FAN ON MAX... UNTILL CAR COOLS OFF.. THEN PUSH AUTO TO GET TO TEMP THAT IS BEST..KEEP BACK SHADES UP... AND SUN ROOF SHADE.CLOSED...CAR HAS COOLED QUICKLY AND STAYED COOL WHILE AMBIANT TEMP DSIPLAY WAS SHOWING 99F OUTSIDE!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com includes the C320 in its just published Entry Level Luxury Sport Sedans Comparison Test. Check it out by following the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info on the C class AWD. 2K more than RWD is not bad. Too bad I have to wait till next year.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    I always get a kick out of comparison tests. They're always the result of the personal preferences of the testers, notwithstanding the complex but ultimately vain attempts to hide the subjectivity behind the numerical ratings. The idea of ranking cars, in a supposedly objective fashion, against each other, is absurd. Every driver has different needs, values and perceptions.

Having written that, there is indeed value in comparison tests, as some beneficial insights into the characteristics of the cars can be gleaned from the text (definitely not the ratings numbers though).

If numerically ranking competitive car models is a science, why don't all comparisons come out with the same result? I've seen others with the C 320 ranked ahead of the 330i, vice-versa, ad infinitum.

The best advice is, as ever, check reliability data (no, not R&T or C&D "long-term" tests, which are unrepresentative testimonials, but do check the stastically significant data) and then drive each of the models yourself. That is the fastest path to automotive happiness in my view.

Mike
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    It seems like MBUSA should pay more attention to the cars they provide for these comparison tests. They send them a car with no CD player? Nuts! Also, this quality issue about the AC duct control knobs being "pushed into" the dash, it can't have come from the factory that way. Did MBUSA send them a C320 that had been beaten up by various testing magazines and such for this review? It sounds like it to me.

One thing I read, what's this about having to push the AC fan control button multiple times to turn off the system (since I don't own the car, maybe some owners could respond), no OFF button.
    It's true, there's no off button for the fan (with the C320's climate control system, this doesn't apply to the C240). You just press the reduce fan speed button until it goes off. I don't see what the big deal is. It's just like turning a manual climate control fan speed knob from 2 to 1 to 0, except that you do it with a toggle switch and a digital readout.

Maybe MBUSA didn't equip the car with a CD changer because it would raise the MSRP even higher. I think the editors speculated about this. Too bad though, because the Bose system is great, IMHO.

Drew
    Host
  • garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    Wow! I just read the comparison, and I couldn't believe what I was reading. The C320 came in at the bottom of the pack in almost every category. Smoked by an Acura! Sounds like Daimler is becoming Chrysler.
    After today, I could very well be the first on this forum to have ran out of gas. That's what I get for being cheap and also relying too much on the range screen. I left home for a 30 mile round trip with the fuel gauge at a quarter tank. On my return trip, with about 12 miles to go, the estimated range for the gas on hand was 29 miles. At that point, the reserve fuel message came on and I figured I had approximately 2 gallons left, enough to get me home and to Costco tomorrow. Just trying save about 40 cents per gallon. With about 2 miles to go on the way back, I checked the range screen and this time, it ranged from 4-6 miles when I hadn't even done anywhere near 24 miles. About 1.5 miles to go, and right in front of a Mobil station, the car choked and came to a stop. I tried starting it and it was completely dead. Walked to the Mobil station I was trying avoid and brought back a gallon of gas to get it started not to mention it was almost 100 degrees in my area at the time. Drove back and filled up with 13.5 gallons at $2.11. That + the 1 gallon = 14.5 gallons. What happened to the nearly 2 gallons that should have been left based on a 16.4 gallon tank?

From this rather embarrassing experience, it is clear the range is just an estimation based on prevailing driving conditions including terrain. Why it varied that significantly to the point of being misleading, I don not know. Also, I am unclear as to why the car stopped with an estimated 1.9 gallons remaining in the tank give or take a few ounces for measurement errors. Lesson learned the hard way - Take no chances with the reserve fuel message and visit the nearest gas station when it lights up.
  • emory28emory28 Member Posts: 4
    For the record my 2000 323ci also does not have an off button for the exhaust fan. To turn off the fan you have to keep pushing the reduce fan speed button just like on the C320. Maybe BMW has changed this for its later 330 models.
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    I have a 1999 C280. On the air conditioning control button (actually, it is more of a control SWITCH) there are multiple settings from OFF on the left side (going all the way over) to the maximum fan speed (on the right side) of the unit. There are various speeds in between.Itworks very well. I do not know if this was changed by MB for the 2000 and 2001 models.
    Drew - Do you believe a C320 equipped with the sports package would have bettered the Cs standing?
    husky11, the operation is still the same as your C-class, even though the control panels look different now. You keep pressing the "reduce fan speed" switch until it goes off. Frankly, it's nitpicking to the extreme to complain about there not being an off-switch. I mean, how lazy can you get? ;-)

nanky, as our editors mentioned, the Sport package C-class would probably have faired better since a major part of this comparison was towards handling. The slightly stiffer suspension, stickier performance-biased tires, as well as the slightly lower ride height/centre of gravity would've helped a lot, I think. Adding the Sport package would've significantly increased the MSRP of the C320 though.

However, as since your own individual priorities may not match with the criteria that Edmunds' editors used, it is really up to you to make your own decision as to which is better. If I was in the market for one of these vehicles, I would still choose the C-class since it matches my priorities the best. I would've just about scratched off the FWD cars since I don't like the way FWD performs on wet surfaces uphill.

I have test driven the 3-series and I like it...a lot. I have even watched the 3-series owner's manual video. Nonetheless as it is right now, the biggest turnoff for me with the 3-series is the lack of several safety features which are standard equipment on the C. These include rear head protection curtains, rear side airbags (optional for the BMW), a rear centre head restraint, a 3 point seatbelt for the middle rear position, as well as rear seatbelt pretensioners/force limiters. The door latches on the Bimmer also look puny compared to the patented wedge shaped latches on all MB vehicles. In a smaller car, I want all of the best safety features and crash test performance available.

Just my 2 cents,

Drew
    Host
This discussion has been closed.