Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• bobbyrabbobbyrab Member Posts: 14
    The Mercedes USA website has been down since last night until at least 11:30AM EST on July 5th. Is it possible they are upgrading the site for the 2002 models and prices? I guess we will find out shortly!
  • hensleyhensley Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to chime in on Drew's comments. Comparisons should not be interpreted as the best car, they are the ones that meet the criteria best. I selected MY car based on MY driving habits.

I have now had my C240 (Black/Charcoal, C2,C4) for one week and am very happy with it. I drive a lot (600 miles so far) and most is on the highway.

I made the right choice for my tastes and habits and assume that most everyone else here feels the same.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    But wasn't the Bimmer 3 series rated the 'safest car on the road', or something to that effect? I know I read that somewhere. And you don't want rear side airbags if you have kids in the back.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The current generation 3-series was the best performing small luxury car in the IIHS 40mph offset crash test...that is, until they tested the '01 C-class and the Volvo S80 (the Volvo was 2nd best and the BMW 3rd). If you look at the intrusion measures, the C-class did significantly better than the BMW, even though both were best picks and rated "good". All of the cabin instrusion figures for the C-class are an astounding 3 centimetres or less. In other words, you probably wouldn't even have noticed any movement of the dash or pillars after the collision! Heck, the windshield was completely unscathed without any cracks at all. Overall injury measurements are also lowest among all of the cars tested. A very impressive performance, considering that the 3-series was already an excellent performer.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/grey_midlux.htm

Saying that rear side airbags are not suitable if you have kids is a blanket statement, in my humble opinion. There are different types. The NHTSA has asked the manufacturers to de-activate the rear side airbags only if they find that it's detrimental. Mercedes-Benz has determined that their side impact airbags are safe (remember that they don't blow up very much, unlike the much larger front airbags) and that in an accident, they do a lot more good than harm. As such, they will not de-activate the rear ones, even if requested. BMW's rear side impact airbags are optional even on the top of the line 7-series. If you order this option, they come de-activated from the factory and before the dealer will activate them, you have to sign a waiver which states that you accept all responsibility and that BMW cannot be held liable. Because MB's side head protection curtain airbags deploy and drop down from the headliner, they present only a minimal risk even to kids.

However, this doesn't mean that you should lean against the door though. I make sure that my passengers are aware of this and I keep an eye on them. If they feel like sleeping, I tell them to fold down the rear centre armrest and lean that way. Adding a large pillow there helps a lot and they'll find it more comfortable than leaning against the door and glass anyway.

A few pictures, courtesy of the IIHS - From top to bottom: C-class, S80, 3-series. It is quite clear why the C-class was rated the top performer for this test:

There already is a BMW 3-series vs MB C-class discussion topic. I invite you (and anyone else) to carry on this discussion at length in there.
    /direct/view/.ef0177d

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I don't really want to continue it, I just had a question. And it looks like you can't go wrong with any of the 3 above.

My comment about kids and rear bags specifically was geared towards leaning on the doors. Every kid I know does this, and it can cause harm to them in an accident if they're leaning on the door when the bag deploys.

I guess my point was this - more airbags isn't necessarily better, but not necessarily worse, either.
    Agreed, you can't go wrong with the 3-series if you like it. If it had the rear head protection tubes, that would make it even more attractive to me. One area that I definitely think the 3-series has an advantage over the C-class is in the auto transmission area. In the 330xi, it did feel that it was a bit smoother overall than the C's, never mind that it's a GM Europe design though. It works well enough for me to disregard that.

As for leaning against the doors, it's just something that will have to be unlearnt, and something that the driver should watch out for. It definitely would not stop me from ordering this option if I wanted a BMW.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
  • matthew23matthew23 Member Posts: 11
    Interesting thing about that comparison -- it seems to me they layered subjective impression upon subjective impression. The 20-point test contains many subjective criteria: i.e., most fun to drive, ride, handling, exterior styling, etc., right down to convenience of cupholders. They then have a subjective evaluation of what the editors would choose, and what they would recommend to buyers. So, when you look at the final results, it seems the subjective criteria are exaggerated even more. And while I agree that for some, price may be a large factor, to many it is not. When you look at the results, and just add up the scores in the categories of performance, feature content, and 20-point evaluation (excluding personal pick, recommended pick and price), guess which car comes out on top? The MB, with the BMW just a half point behind, the Accura in third, and the Volvo in 4th. If you factor in price, the Accura comes out on top, the BMW 2nd and the MB third. What does this mean? Absolutely nothing, other than to point out the inherently unreliability of ranking cars in this class. You still have to pick what's best for you.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    from my observations of the estimated range.the following factors will effect the estimate on a moment to moment basis.. yes,prevailing road conditions...type of terrain(more hills?)..the need to pass at higher speeds..weather..use of air conditioner....any i forgot?.when i see that yellow light come on..i head for the nearest mobile station(i have their card) and if there arent any near... i throw in $5 just to get me home safely at any gas staion.live and learn nanky.
    Actually, I'm quite happy with my A4 (have you seen any crash tests on that? - it's not at the IIHS website). I just remember all the BMW marketing materials on the 3 series. The C looks quite impressive in those tests, though, and I do like the looks. Now if you could only get the C320 (or C32 AMG) with a manual tranny...
  • chevymalibu98chevymalibu98 Member Posts: 24
    A while ago someone posted a website at which we could track where our cars are by VIN given by the dealership while they are on the way from Germany to the U.S. Can somebody post that again? Thanks a bunch.
    I don't think the 6 speed can handle the C32's immense torque. The C320 is probably not offered with a manual because demand will not be too high. Most of the C's sold are ordered with auto transmissions. Oddly though, my dealer has 3 C240 6-speeds (one is a demo) right now.

As for the A4, here's a link to the European front offset and side impact crash tests:

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/crash2/audi4.htm

Drew
    Host

• wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    "As for the A4, here's a link to the European front offset and side impact crash tests:

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/crash2/audi4.htm"

Drew, I'm afraid that's a dated test (1997 model). Please try the results for the 2001 A4:

http://www.euroncap.com/details.php3?id=audi_a4_2001_2

MUCH better! (Similar to the improvement between '97 and '01 C-Classes.)

While on the subject of the NCAP test, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere here before, but why does the C-Class test say "[airbag curtain] worked in the test but did not deploy fully. Experts feared that in other situations it might not do its job?"

• nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    This is supposed to be a real photo of the new E Class (I do not know if this is true):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/vwbb/Forum1/HTML/019222.html

That's the all new 2002 A4. It's due to arrive in North America this fall, but I think it has been on sale in Europe since spring of this year so I think they may consider it a 2001 model there. The link to the test that I posted still applies to the '01 A4. I was surprised by the results too!

I'm not sure why the side head curtain didn't deploy fully. May have been a fluke. I wonder if MB will ask them to retest?

Drew
    Host
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Yep, you're right, I didn't read the bottom of the NCAP test which says that the new A4 has actually been on sale in Germany since September. Fortunately for U.S. buyers the new A4 is pretty close.

I guess I can't be too shocked at the current-model-U.S.-A4 not doing too hot; the A6 only scored "acceptable" in the IIHS test. I'd expect any newer Audi to do well, though, given the high scores (IIHS and NCAP) for the Passat, which is a relatively fresher design.

Say, what's that Renault Laguna like as a vehicle anyway? Noticed the five-star score in NCAP (no ESP though). Also, what's a "double pre-tensioner" belt?
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    I suspect that had the side curtain of the C-Class functioned properly, it might have been close to a fifth star. The site does not mention whether Mercedes-Benz intends to review the curtain malfunction (i.e. not deploying fully) and offer another car for a re-test.

The Renault Laguna's five star score in EuroNCAP is remarkable. But it is no Mercedes - the styling is messy. And based upon Renault's patchy history regarding quality (I've owned many Renaults over the years) I'd be surprised if it's as reliable as the C.

Mike
    The German auto magazine Auto Bild reports that the 4-matic option for the C-class will add 4500 Deutche marks to the current price of the C. With the current exchange rates in mind, this is just under CDN$3000 or US$2000. Not too bad at all (and a bit cheaper than the current E-class 4-matic option) considering that snow tires + wheels will cost a third of that. That is, if MB Canada and MBUSA decide to retain the aforementioned pricing. Personally, I hope and expect that they will because as is, the C320 (in Canada at least) is already slightly more expensive than a comparably equipped BMW 330xi sedan. Note that if you want the C320 4-matic wagon, you will definitely be in the current E320 4-matic sedan price territory. Eeek...

MB Canada still officially maintains that the C-class will not receive the 4-matic option till fall of 2002, for the 2003 model year. However, the 4-matic option will be released in Europe in the Spring of 2002; my salesguy still expects it to be available as a mid model year 2002 option since this is what they have been told in all of the past and recent product training sessions. I guess we'll see what happens in the next few months.

Drew
    Host
  • fredtwdfredtwd Member Posts: 25
    I've heard this asked on the boards before, and I can now answer
    that question. Two months after picking up my C320, my wife
    told me she want a divorce. The good news I keep my C320 and
    three dogs, but the bad news is my wife takes the mini-van. Although
    I love my C320, I cannot imagine hauling three medium sized dogs in
    it.

So (finally) here are my questions: (1) How much do you think I can get
    for my C320, and (2) What would you get to replace it?

Here are the specs on the car:

2001 C320
    Desert Silver 625
    Java Leather Interior 1,375
    COMMAND 2,035
    K2a (Phone & Voice) 2,190
    C2: Rain Sensor, 1,340
    Sunroof, Rear
    Sunshade
    C4: Heated Seats, 800
    Headlamp washers
    Dest & Delivery 645
    TOTAL PRICE 45,960

Also:
    Invisible-Bra ($595)
    All-Season Mats
    Trunk Cargo Nets (Front, Left-side and Floor)

Mileage: 4,500 miles

[If you are interested, I'm in the Boston area.]

The next question: What would you replace it with? Nothing comes
    close to the features and luxury of my C320. But here's what I am
    considering so far:

2001 Used ML-430
    2000 Used ML-320
    2001 VW GLX Passat Wagon w/ 4Motion
    2001 BMW 325xi Wagon

I'd like to stick with MB; however, the M series does not have a
    great reliability record (although it's been improving). Any thoughts
    on the above cars or other suggestions. My major requirements
    are:
    1) Ability to transport three medium sized dogs (i.e. wagon
    or small SUV).
    2) All-wheel (4-wheel) drive. It's something I always wanted.
    Seeing that I'm giving up my C320 luxury, I thought I'd finally
    make this a hard requirement.
    3) Navigation. It's aided my tremendously in my C320. I'd
    prefer it directly from the manufacturer (usually better integration,
    but given the right car, I can go after-market).
    4) Nothing less than a '99, preferably 2000 or 2001.

I'd also like (but don't require) an integrated phone. My budget is
    the sales proceeds from the C320 (I don't owe anything on it) +
    approx. another 5K (3K if the Nav is not included).

Sorry for the long post. I will appreciate any thoughts you might
    have.

Thanks.

Robert
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Many of the "reliability" issues on the M class have bee resolved. Most were on the 98, which gave the m-class a bad image.

The M-Class has improved greatly over the past few years. There have been a lot less complaints abould build issues on the ML now.

Why dont you join us in the M-Class groups, mention specific problems that you have heard about the M-Class and let people address them... You will find that the people with the 2000, and even moreso with the 2001 that they have had significantly less problems.

Rpobert
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Also. if you can take the phone with you so that if you do get the M, all you have to do is buy the cradle for the Phone. That way you wont pay an extra 500 for the phone.

Robert
  • bingusabingusa Member Posts: 22
    Typically a MBZ's value drops $5k whenever coming out of dealer's lot. From that perspective, you will take a hit. Second, though the 1st model year C's are in demand, there are already quite some used ones in the market, at least in southern CA. so you will feel some competition to sell it (though that can be your pricing benchmark too).

Among your potential candidate cars, I do not feel a 325xi wagon can fufill your need as it is not much bigger than a C. My suggestion is to consider a brand new E320 sedan or wagon. It provides enough space, has navigation and 4matic options, a mature MBZ that is reliable, there are plenty of them in dealer's lots to bargain with, and many people hold off their purchase of E until the completely redesigned ones come out next year. At least in June, MBZ has $2k unadvertised dealer incentive and people have been able to get them $2000-2.5k below invoice. I read from the E class town hall a guy was paying $44800 for a brand new 2001 E320 wagon ($2200 under invoice / $6700 below MSRP). If you trade in your C for an E at the same dealer, the dealer may be business-minded and kind enough to get you an E320 within your target budget (C sales proceeds + $5k).

My 2 cents. Good luck.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    The brochure for my 1996 Laguna (that's all I have left of it!) states: "enormously strong cabin and side impact bars". So the 5-star NCAP score was by design, not by accident (pardon the pun).

IMHO, Renault has a somewhat different philosophy on car design than other manufacturers. They seem more willing to trade off mileage and acceleration for a car that has heavier sheet metal to protect the occupants. The hood, for example, was very rigid and heavy. Perhaps this philosophy wouldn't lead to success in the US market.

Anyway, the car was terrific. It was nimble enough for a car with a 2 l. engine and auto transmission, and was also reliable. The only problem I had was at the outset the a/c condensate leaked into the passenger compartment due to an incorrectly routed tube. The car is still being driven by my colleague, who loves it.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    The only problem is that the 1997 Renault Laguna only scored two and a half out of a possible five stars on the EuroNCAP crash test. That was an average or slightly below average standard at the time.

The five star-ranked Laguna in the EuroNCAP test is only the new 2001 model, which is, as you likely know, totally different from the version of the 1990s.

Mike
    Heavier sheet metal is not necessarily better. The huge American land barges of the '50's, '60's and' 70's had thick sheet metal, but the problem with that was that the cars were escaping relatively unscathed in accidents and all of the impact forces went to the occupants, resulting in major injuries. It was explained to me that MB uses a lot of high strength steel (300% stronger than the regular stuff) in strategic places. They've been doing this more and more actually. This steel is a lot stronger but not necessarily a lot heavier.

For example, the current S-class uses twice as much high strength steel as its predecessor, which was actually already excellent in crash tests. It was so good that other (smaller) cars - this was a test done in Europe with a Golf- could be brutally damaged in an accident. Hmmm, sounds familiar to that SUV vs car thing doesn it ;-). In any case, in the early 1990's, MB started designing their vehicles to be more crash friendly to other vehicles without compromising any occupant safety of their vehicles. More costly and time consuming, but they did it anyway. The end result is part of the reason why the SMART didn't get squished in this crash with the current S-class:
    http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/videos/Sclass_Smart.avi

There's a lot more to a MB vehicle than meets the eye...definitely more than just a prestigeous brand name.

Drew
    Host
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    "...'50's, '60's and' 70's had thick sheet metal, but the problem with that was that the cars were escaping relatively unscathed in accidents and all of the impact forces went to the occupants, resulting in major injuries."

There is a whole lot of generalizations here. The occupants were probably hurt because there were no seat belts, or old type seat belts, no head rests, structurally poor seating rather than "thick sheet metal" on the outside of the cars.

And currently, it's the fact that the cars are designed to absorb the forces of the impact by crushing (like a soda can) rather than "high strength" sheet metal that results in "excellence" in the crash tests.
    It wasn't limited to street cars but race cars too. They had helmets and 4 or 5 point restraints and many of the drivers were seriously hurt but the cars were unscathed after a major crash. People thought that by building the car stronger, you could better protect the driver. Thankfully it's the opposite nowadays since the cars are designed to literally shatter upon impact to dissipate as much of the impact forces instead of most of it onto the driver.

The high strength steel that I mentioned is used for the structure (i.e. cross members, roof pillars, etc.), and not the body work itself.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The fact that Mercedes pioneered and adopted the philosophy of rigid passenger shells with enegry absorbing front and rear ends in the 50's is one of the things that makes the company so lengendary.

Drew,

What do you make of the NCAP's comment below on the new C offset test results?

"The drivers head and chest were well restrained by the belt and the airbag. However, his chest was subjected to high forces that are often a feature of stiff cars."
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    summer is here and I have been using the back sunscreen to block the rays, to protect me leather back there. Looks like MB could have used silver or some other heat repeling coating on this screen to serve as a dual purpose use.
  • mga3mga3 Member Posts: 51
    Well,after 4800 miles and five months of driving my leased Black C320 with zero mechanical and electronic problems. My first electronic problem just occurred.

The one touch opening and closing feature no longer works. I have to keep pressing the switch in order for it to open a few inches at a time. The pop-up vent position is only activated if I push the button in opposite directions.

Monday, I will be calling my dealer, Prestige Motors in Paramus,NJ. Hopefully, they will get me in right away and correct the problem.

If I remember correctly, from reading past comments here on the board. The sunroof needs to be reset or resynched or recycled (or whatever you want to call it) electronically.

Fell free for anyone who had this problem to correct me on the remedy and comment on their experience with the sunroof problem.

I will certainly post my comments here as soon as the problem is fixed.
    w2p2: Actually, MB does offer infrared-reflecting heat penetration reducing glass for the S-class and CL-class, in addition to the laminated glass that reduces noise and UV penetration. The added benefit of the laminated glass is that it is a heck of a lot more difficult for someone to smash and grab. However, all of this would probably be too expensive for the C-class. The glass is already lightly tinted and has some heat reflecting/UV blocking properties to it. The Sport Package adds a unique light blue tinted glass.

mbnut: I'm actually not sure what to make of it. I had a look at the IIHS data and it the chest compression is the same as the also "good" rated (and much larger) Volvo S80. It was only very slightly more (3 millimetres, specifically) than the BMW 3-series. I wonder if the Euro cars have a slightly different airbag? I know that Australian cars do (larger).

Drew
    Host
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I saw the same thing in the IIHS data, additionally many of the other NCAP 4 star rated cars (New A4, Passat, Vovlo S40) got a marginal rating for the chest forces. I guess that's something that will have to be improved to get the elusive 5 star rating.
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    We had a similar problem. They replaced the switch and all is well now. We also had our keys replaced as they kept loosing their memory and sometimes not work at all.

Regards,
    Leon
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    somewhere in the encycopedia(maual) are instructions on how to resynch.. if u want to try to save yourself a trip
    This time, this '01 C320 was rear-ended extremely hard (above 45 mph) by a pickup truck. A major amount of damage as you can see. Damage was limited to the crumple zones, and all of the doors stayed closed, despite the impact. Both front airbags deployed in this collision, but it appears that everyone is fine. Thank goodness for the good crashworthiness (the safety and design engineers were doing their jobs properly), the reinforced seatbacks - they use the same high strength steel in the seat frames, and the great head restraints, but always remember to adjust them to the proper height. That is, the centre of the head restraint, should be aligned with the top of your ears.

I have posted the rest of the pictures of this car in the C-class Photo gallery topic:
    drew_ "MB C-Class Owners: Photo Gallery" Jul 10, 2001 12:47am

A lot more MB accident pictures here:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=10126395

Drew
    Host
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    OUCH! Look at the amazing lack of damage foward of the C pilliar. Mercedes really have this crash stuff down pat. I still would not have been the one riding in back though.

M
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    I just received a mailer from MBNA inviting me to enter a drawing for a new 2002 sport model C240 with a 6-speed manual transmission. MSRP of $25K. The exterior pics looked exactly like the current model. Interior pics looked like it was trimmed in metal and plastic, kind of like the IS300. But it's hard to get a feel for it with just a couple of pics.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Sounds like the new C230...review at www.speedvision.com
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...should hardly be a mystery. Go to the MBUSA website, and it's all there. Plus all of the car magazines attended the EU intro session, and have published their driving impressions, most several weeks ago.

The big question is how the supercharged 2.3 behaves in this chassis; MB made a lot of changes in the past 18 months to take much of the growling, unrefined character out of this engine, but I need some real-world seat time to see how all of this shakes out. Ride / handling should be about the same as a sport-package equipped sedan, as this is the basis for the shock-spring settings.

IF MBUSA can restrain itself and the dealers in how these cars are equipped initially, you might actually see cars you can buy for $27-28k...my guess is closer to $30k, because of the initial fascination with the pano roof [which I wouldn't have if they were giving it away], and the usual penchant for ordering all of the cars with multiple option packages. We'll see...
  • mga3mga3 Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the resyncronization tip. I found it in the manual as you suggested, on page #196.

I will try it before I bring it in to my dealer on Thursday. I'll post my results Thursday evening.

As usual, I can always count on this board for helpfull info.

Mercedes-Benz should pay all of us, for all the support and knowledge we share with each other.
    John: A few people have recently test driven the C230K coupe. Perhaps you'd be interested in reading their comments:

Peterun "Mercedes-Benz C230 (2002)" Jul 3, 2001 5:36pm

The "All about cars" radio show also did a review on the coupe a couple of weeks ago, and compared it to the Acura RSX. Overall, the guy loved it and said that for $27K nicely equipped (with the moonroof), and $30K fully loaded, he couldn't imagine another car right now that would compete value, safety, and resale value-wise. Here's the link to the clip (you'll probably have to open Windows Media Player and paste it directly into the Open location box's field). He also goes on to discuss the Ford/Firestone thing, with some interesting points that I didn't know about, as well as what happened to MB in the early 1990's :

http://wtdy.com/car_audio/aac0630hour1.wma

Merc1: At least the rear occupants would've survived in this collision though! Seatbelts are always a must, of course. There are more pictures (different angles) that I posted in the photo gallery topic, so that it doesn't slow down the loading of this page for some that have slower dialup connections.

Drew
    Host
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    We've seen a lot of C-class crash pics. Can you show us some crash pics of other vehicles other people are always comparison shopping for such as the A-4, Volvo, etc.?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I was also impressed w/ how the C coupe handled at the MB Powertrip. Much less body roll than the C sedan without being painful in the bumps they set up.
    I'm not fond of coupe seating, but never have been (I've disliked all coupes I've sat in except the CL :-).
    The interior felt a little cheapy to me, but I think it's the lack of leather seats that does it now that I'm spoiled ;-)

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Neither can I! And it seems completely legitimate too. A C32 for $32K! A fully loaded S500 for $45K!! Wow! I wonder how they cut down on the price so drastically, but yet manage to offer a full MBUSA warranty.

Drew
    Host
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    You don't even have to be a cynic not to believe those prices. $32K for a new C32????? You know the saying about if it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't?
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    There is a real dealership in UK with that name, but it is hard to say it is the same company. The vehicles they sell are very close to factory cost. I have friends that works for GM and Ford, and they were able to purchase cars at similar discount as employees.(It's call the "B" program) Maybe MBUSA is just a middle man, and they are making too much on everything. I sent them inquiry on clk430-cab(designo for $31k). Will let you know what happens afterwards. One thing I am almost certain is there is no warranty. All cars are sold as is, and sometimes a 4 years warranty will cost the factory over 10k. Maybe that is the catch. I am excited. BTW: anyone want to buy my C320?
    Yeah, if it's too good to be true then it probably is. However, it's interesting nonetheless. You can probably verify all of this by asking them their dealership names in Europe (they claim to have them in the UK, Germany, etc) and then verifying it with MB and the dealers in those countries. Surely a company that has been in business for 28 years would have a reputation.

If you look on the specs page, it says that the cars come with a full factory warranty. This is probably due to the fact that they are US-spec vehicles. It says that you are under no obligation to take delivery of the vehicle even after it has arrived in the US. It's up to you to inspect first and only if you like it do you have to take it. You have to pay for the shipping though, of course.

Let us know what you find out!

Drew
    Host
    Look at the prices. They are way too low. Maybe these are salvage title vehichles or something. A 2001 Porsche 911 GT2 stickers for $180k. They are saying they can get you one for $80k. Something is very fishy. Maybe they are the press vehicles. Would you want one of those after C&D, R&T, etc. all do their testing on them? I sure wouldn't.
    The company says that all of the vehicles will have 10 miles or less on them on the odometer when the arrive in the US. I'm still not sure how they manage to charge so little on it.

BTW, regarding the press fleet vehicles, they're either sold with a full disclosure of their histories, or they are crushed. MB tends to crush all of their pre-production/prototype vehicles.

"We keep the manufactures protective coating on new vehicles until they reach the USA port and all new vehicles have less than 10 miles on the odometer."
This discussion has been closed.