Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• cannondalecannondale Member Posts: 6
    I don't know about previous version of SLK that you saw. But for 2002, you can get an AMG package for the SLK that included all of the following for $4,220·
    Sculpted lower body AMG designed
    · Aerodynamic enhancements (bumpers,
    · sidesills, projector beam front fog lamps)
    · Wheels:(F)7.5J x 17 (R)8.5Jx 17AMG
    · AMG Ultrathin-Spoke Monoblock Alloy Wheels
    · Perf. Tires: (F) 225/45 ZR 17
    · (R) 245/40 ZR 17

So not all AMG cars will have modified AMG engine.
    It's just another check mark on the option list.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ...there are "AMG" designated appearance packages. I guess the confusion is what designates an "AMG" car? As I understand it (from a German friend who is a Daimler Chrysler exec here), true AMG cars are hand built in their own factory. Whatever "hand built" means these days. Mercedes supplies many body panels and other components, but the most of the suspension, engine and other mechanicals are unique to AMG.

It seems that in this age of unabashed marketing exploitation, the value of an AMG badge is quite high. Otherwise, why would anyone pay $4,220 for what is essentially an "appearance package" as described above. Compared to say, half that amount for a BMW 5-series "sport package" that actually has a sport suspension to go along with the aesthetic items.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's your chance:
      Have you bought or shopped for a 3-Series BMW, C-Class Mercedes, Jaguar X-Type or other small sports sedan since Sept 11? If so, your comments are of great interest. Please get in touch with me via jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks as always,

Jonathan Welsh
      The Wall Street Journal
    You may also drop by the Smart Shopper discussion at this link to respond: prlady1 "Talk to the Press" Oct 8, 2001 1:48pm
  • rwoo662rwoo662 Member Posts: 2
    Jamrock4 - I ordered my new C240 from Atlanta Classic Cars. I started negotiating to have them thrown in a CD which they claimed to have a retail value of $1100. I ended up getting the CD for $350 but paid MSRP for the factory order. They also thrown in free car wash (inside and outside) for as long as I own the car. Do you think this is a fair deal ?
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Although many individuals have paid MSRP in the past I have heard that some individuals on this forum are getting better deals nowadays. In fact I heard someone actually paid 3% above invoice.

I visited RBM and just wanted to get a feel for how low I could go. The saleperson was willing to drop the price by only $645.

So far I have just been browsing but by the end of this month I plan to make a serious bid for a desert silver C240 with bose premium, auto trans, C1, C2, and C3 packages. Will try to get 3% over invoice. Not an easy price to get but I will give it my best shot.

Atlanta Classic is the closest dealer to me but I am willing to shop around to get the best deal possible. To answer your question IMHO you did not get much of a deal. I was quoted $750 at RBM for a CD changer installed.
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    Why don't you order your car from Mecedes-Benz Manhattan, Inc. Deal with their inter net guy James J. Park via his e-mail @ parkj@mbusa.com . You would pay $500.00 to $600.00 over dealer's invoice. Drive it home and have it serviced in the Atlanta MB dealer. Delta Airlines are having special sales on all their domestic fares.

Good Luck,
    John from NJ
  • dbbarrondbbarron Member Posts: 9
    I am considering a C240 or C320. In looking/driving both, there is not question (both with auto trans) that the Sports package is worth it for the 320- it is consistent with the overall performance/character/pricing of the car. However, I have driven the C240, and although I would be satisfied with the (engine) performance, I'm not sure if the extra $3000 is worth it/consistent with the character of the car. With the additional cost of the package, the 240 seems to be pricing very high for the overall car, all things considered.

I am curious as to anyone's thoughts/opinions on this topic and where they came out.

Another factor in this is that I believe the 320s to be more negotiable than the 240s; thus the bottom line price differential on an expensive 240 v. a 320 will be that much less.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    Keeping everyone updated -- The MB rep contacted me in reply to my fax. Although Mercedes is not responsible for rims that have been chromed at the dealership, he is involved with how customers are treated by service. He has spoken to the dealership owner and the service manager and cleared the way for me to bring in my car again to be looked at by the service manager.

Miki
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    I just got my car back from the dealer. it took them a long time to fix my problem with the defroster. I kept losing my FM stations when i turned on the rear defroster. they replaced the windshield and a whole bunch of other things and now it works fine.

my vibration at 40 mph has gone away too. i don't know what they did to fix that.

the only remaining problem i have is that my car keeps pulling to the right. i have had this problem since I had my car. the kicker is that my front right and back rim got slighty curbed one night when I got cut off by someone in a huge SUV ... so they say that's why it's causing the problem. They did rebalance the tires but that didn't fix the problem...

my question is.. is anyone else have problem with alignment?

thanks in advance....
  • weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    Miki - Good news! One step at a time

dbbarron - I have a different take on a C240 with the sports package. I have ordered such a car, so my opinions MIGHT be a little biased.
    The reason I went for the C240 was the 6 speed. If it were offered in the C320 I would have ordered it. But, it's only wishful thinking.
    Several years ago, after owning several 5 speed Porsche models I bought a used Porsche 928 automatic. The press reviews said how great the automatic worked with the engine in the car. I liked it until I spent a day driving my friend's new Boxster with a 5 speed. I felt too much sport was lost in the automatic. I sold it and purchased one with a 5 speed. Also, during our family vacation to Germany this past summer we rented an E class with the 6 speed and absolutely loved it.
    Of course I'm not in commute traffic 2 hours a day, either.
    So IMHO, the C240 6 speed sport is more sportier (and 150 lbs lighter) than the C320 auto.
    But as they say, your mileage may very.

John W.
    >Miki - Good news! One step at a time

Thank you for caring.
    Miki
  • neskierneskier Member Posts: 6
    I have just taken delivery on a Black 2002 C-240 6-speed with packages C-2, C-3 and a multicontour drivers seat.

I was extremely impressed with the dealer I bought it from and specifically the salesman involved (Aaron Root, at The Automaster in Shelburne, Vermont). I would suggest anyone in the Northeast consider this dealership; I myself am from Boston but the drive was worth it.

Now on to the car itself. It is very stable and just feels incredibly solid. It also has the pleasing effect of making me smile every time I sit in it to take a drive. I do love the 6-speed, I find the first 3 speeds perfectly matched for driving in a city environment and then the last 3 speeds are good for suburbs/highways. I have had none of the problems people speak about on this thread, but the car only has 600 miles on it.

Here comes the "but" part. I am in my mid 20's and I have found that people view the car and perhaps Mercedes in general as a bit pretentious. You have to be prepared for the fact that people are going to look at you in a new way. Most people tell all there friends when they get a new car and show it to them and take them for a ride. I have not done this because it really feels like showing off; I just keep very humble about it and when we end up taking my car out to dinner or something they inevitably figure it out. I suppose this is just a personality thing, but like I said it made me marginally uncomfortable the first few days.

The good part is that you can get over it while you are riding around in a comfortable and beautiful car.
  • dbbarrondbbarron Member Posts: 9
    weberamg - I agree with you entirely; unfortunately I must get an automatic which I believe changes the equation considerably. That being considered, it would seem the extra power is needed to keep the drivetrain consistent with the boosted handling ability (again, entirely different situation with a manual).

db
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I got the same annoying reactions w/ my ML and people who kept calling it "your Benz" (I still refer to it as "my ML" ;-)

Just explain to them that some MBs are really inexpensive nowadays (some coworkers were surprised a C coupe is only $26K even w/ MB's ad campaign), and with the free 4/50 maintenance and all the leading edge safety features, it was a no-brainer...
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...when I purchased my 2000 C. I "kept it quiet" around the office. When one co-worker found out, she burst in and said "why didn't you tell me you had a Mercedes?" Since then, I believe she feels I am rich! The comments re price make a good point. Several coworkers have SUVs (Ford Expeditions, Jeep Grand Cherokees) that cost as much or more as my car--and without the free maintenance (or the great fuel economy). So, total ownership costs for the C are indeed relatively low. Also, Mercedes has a lineup ranging in price from roughly $30,000 to well over $100,000--but, not everyone has a $100K Benz! I also plan on keeping my car for 6 to 8 years--so, it really is economical in the end. Best of luck to you. You will find--if you haven't already--that even the smallest trip is an "event" in your new C!
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Guys,

My 2002 C 240 is in shop and expected today, my dealer gave me 95 E 300D as a loaner, the interior is beyond comparison with 2002 C, but ride is powerful, after all it is MB, with 3 liter diesel engine - I am enjoying my loaner too, will keep you guys posted on TRUNK issue

thanks
    I wanted to let everyone know that when I brought my car to the dealer again yesterday the customer service representative with whom I had a problem invited me into his office for a talk. He apologized to me for how he handled the situation the first time I brought the car in on 09/17 and for not ever calling me back with any information. He took another look at the bad rim and offered to split the cost of a new rim, which would be approx $250 for me. I feel this is a satisfactory solution, since I should have brought the new car in for them to see the cracked rim immediately upon bringing car home 06/01. Now that the crack has spread and collapsed the surrounding area, it looks more as if a heavy rock hit it.

A reminder that it was the MB Service and Parts Operation manager that smoothed the way for all this -- even though the after-market chrome rims are not MB's responsibility.

The other chrome rims look as if they are not going to last, at least cosmetically. I see signs of peeling and they will be only a year old in December.

One rim at a time!

Miki
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Had to chuckle this morning. It was a tad foggy on the way into work so I thought I would be safety conscious and enable the front & rear fog light features. While waiting in the left turn lane at a stop light, this guy in a Nissan Maxima pulls up beside and motions to "Roll-Down" the window. So 1 touch down goes the passenger window and he says my Right Rear Brake Light is out; I said no "It's a Feature" , the left rear tail light is meant to be brighter = Fog Light.
    Anyway it didn't click what I was saying and the light turned green and off we went...Just to make sure I was not "losing it", after parking the car at work I checked the rear lights, and there she be: the Left Rear Fog Lamp burning brightly compared to the RHS....Another morning commute with a big grin on my face....What an incredible Automobile !! 7600 Beautiful Benz miles since Feb. 15th...Love those 2 stage heated seats & the Bose stereo...and the 6 speed !!!
    Ian in Jersey.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The last few posts remind me that when I bought my first MB in 1968, their marketing in this country had not yet created the image of the car as a symbol of the gold-plated rich. I wasn't then, and 13 MBs later, am not now, either. In the EU, MBs and BMWs [another company that has created a US image out of thin air] were and are regarded like, well, Buicks and Mercurys...unless you drive a S or a 7er, no one genuflects at your feet in the rest of the world because you own one of these cars. Only in America...

I bought the car because it was solidly built, roomy for its size, with active safety features [handling and brakes] that were ahead of its time in our market. I don't recall anyone at the office assuming I had suddenly acquired either wealth or wisdom by this decision. Now, as noted above, the choice to buy one of these cars catapults you into some imaginary demographic stratosphere that exists mainly because MB and BMW say it does. Sometimes I'm bemused by this, and occasionally a bit annoyed, but mostly it's a phenomenon that is best ignored...in the end, it's a car, not a life, and most people will eventually get over it...Lexus has managed some of the same marketing magic, but they seem to be the only ones of the Japanese Big 3 who took on this challenge successfully.

Too bad becoming a teacher or a policeman or a social worker doesn't get you the same level of attention...
    I was wondering if this topic has been brought up before. On every other MB and even the earlier body style C class, there is a Sport emblem just to the rear of the front wheels to signify that the car has the sport package. I was curious as to why this emblem does NOT appear on the new bodied C class.

Just wondering.

John W.
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    Now I'm very confused about how the key dependent memory is working. I have many times complained to the dealer about the memory, but now they claim, after consulting with MB, that the (strange way, it seems to me) the keys are working are they way they are supposed to work. To me, that seems very illogical.
    1. They say the seat memory in the C-class is NOT key-dependent, only on the E-class. So, if you are two drivers, then every time you switch driver, you have to turn the knob to position 1 or 2 (even if you have different keys), and press the button. It will not move automatically to a key-dependent position.
    2. In the easy exit/entry mode, the seat will not move all the way forward to the driving position, for safety reasons. So EVERY TIME you go into the car you have to press the memory button to make the seat move, even if it's the same person driving the car.
    I wonder if anyone could confirm that this is the way it's supposed to work. The strange (and confusing) thing is that until now the seat memory has been partial key-dependent, but it never worked 100%. At least, when you pressed the memory button in the "1" position, the resulting seat position would be key-dependent. Now that doesn't even work. you have to switch between 1 and 2. So, please help, should I accept the dealers answer?
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    For diwc240 and any others who use their rear fog lights, a note of caution.

In Europe is is STRICTLY ILLEGAL to engage the rear fog light unless visibility is at 50 metres or less, on pain of a very hefty fine if you're caught with it on in inappropriate conditions.

The reason for this regulation is that the intensity of the rear fog lights is extremely distracting and irritating to following drivers in clearer conditions, possibly even being a safety hazard.

Good advice would be to follow the EU rule about fog, and further, to extinguish the light when in heavy, slow-moving traffic (e.g. stop-and-go) and when waiting at intersections with stationary cars behind.

I have noticed many Volvo and Audi drivers in Canada abusing their rear fog lights, using them in light mist (maybe 500 m visibility) or worse, in rain, where the reflections created are truly hazardous. On occasion I've winked my Peugeot 405's rear fog light at them as a hint to turn theirs off. They usually don't get it.

In my driving I follow the 50 m rule.

However, I hasten to add that when I lived in the very snowy British Columbia Interior I used to engage the rear fog lights (both L and R were connected at the time) when driving on a road that had lots of loose drifting powder snow. In these conditions an opaque cloud of powder snow followed the cars, making them nearly invisible. Why did I put the rear fog lights on? Because over a period of 10 minutes the taillight lenses would become totally obstructed by snow, even with the 5 W taillamps on. Only the 21 W power of the rear foggies generated enough heat in the plastic lens to keep the snow from sticking ... so the car remained visible through the blowing snow.

Now I only have a bulb in the LR foglight, because blowing powder snow is unknown on Vancouver Island ;-).

Mike
    My chrome rim was replaced today and although I had agreed to split the cost with the dealer, the customer relations manager discounted it even more -- my cost was $199.78 plus $15.98 sales tax. That is a bargain and I guess part of his making amends. I was most appreciative.

Miki
    Mike:
    One time I used it in a really heavy rainstorm. Visibility was really poor (maybe 30ft?).
    Are they really that useless in the rain? I figured it lessened my chance of getting rear-ended, so the more light the better.
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    has anyone had their C's tinted in the DC area... if so, can you let me know where you took it and what percentage you got on it.

Thanks in advance...
    I'd say the rule of thumb is that if you can see the regular taillights of the cars well over 50 m ahead of you (even in heavy rain and road spray) then using a rear fog light is unnecessary. It's certainly not permitted to use a fog light in Europe under these conditions.

The problem with them in the rain is twofold - they reflect off everything (including the road, other cars and raindrops on following cars' windshields) and thus are quite distracting. Plus it's harder to see your actual brake lights go on when there's already a bright red aura around the rear of your car ;-)

I know it's so tempting to use it, but it's advisable to reserve it for the right conditions. My advice, for what it's worth.

Mike
  • crimattcrimatt Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know the wire harness Part Number needed to upgrade the satellite unlock feature for C-Class vehicles with VIN numbers under 59000 ?
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Good Advice Mike, Thanks. Had the F & R fog lights on again this morning, but really just on the backroads where the fog was quite heavy and visibility <50M or ~165 ft. You constantly go in and out of patches where the fog is thick and then dissipates. Was behind a ~1996 Audi that was using his Left Rear Fog light. What amazes me is some people don't even have their low beam headlights on!!! and DRLs (daytime running lights) are not on pre-2001 cars in the USA.
    (Was also driving behind a 2001 CLK55 AMG...beautiful automobile !!)
    Mike:
    I was also curious about the laws in Europe for rain and whether rear fog lights really can be only used in fog :-)
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Can you special order a C320 without any emblems, like you can special order with BMW? I really like the appearance of a vehicle without any emblems other than the hood ornament and trunk ornament. No numbers, letters or tacky Kompressor badge. I think the 320 is a striking vehicle, and if I can get it as my next rig, I'd like to order it without the badges.

Thanks for the help.
    I think it's permitted in Europe to use the rear fog light in any atmospheric condition that brings visibility under 50 m - dust (!), smoke, heavy snow plus of course fog. I've never seen rain heavy enough to actually obscure the view beyond 50 m but I imagine that it is possible. In rain, the main problem remains the incredible reflections. If you really want to know the definitive answer, do a web search for EU traffic laws - it's bound to be there somewhere.

Mike
    Hi All-

I was wondering if those who have acquired their cars in the last several weeks have noticed if their cars were assembled in Brazil? I've been told that only C Coupes and not the sedans are being assembled in Brazil. I've also been told the exact opposite.
    Thanks in advance.

John W.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    After reading and rereading the book and testing on my car here's what I found: Seat and mirror position are not automatically set when the key is entered (excluding easy
    entry/exit, which I don't use). You must select 1-2-3 position and push the button. The 1-2-3 position indicator does react to the key....different keys can produce different seating and mirror positions while on the same number. From experience I suggest setting both keys to the same settings. Then one backs up the other in case of failure or someone reprogramming it wrong and also it won't make any difference which key you're using.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    I was curious as to why this emblem does NOT appear on the new bodied C class.
    >>>>
    That's a good question. In Europe, the sports package equipped Cs come with an "Avantegarde" emblem. A friend who works for Mercedes in Germany sent me a pair so, I have them on mine. If you want that look, you can purchase the sports emblems from the dealership and stick them on yourself since they have self adhesive backings. They cost $19 a piece at my dealership.

Miki - I am glad your rim problem has been resolved to your satisfaction.
  • lillyklillyk Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I'm about to begin the purchase process of a 2002 C320 in Northern California. I have the invoice and MSRP prices of my desired options but was wondering a couple of things:

* At what price did you buy your vehicle (either amount over invoice or below MSRP)?

* What purchase methods have people used that they think are effective/not effective (internet, Costco, broker, fax, etc)?

Thanks!
    Lilly
    It's fairly trivial to take them off.
    Get out your hair dryer, some dental floss, and some Goo Gone (really just a citrus adhesive cleaner). Heat up the emblem. Slide the dental floss under it. Goo Gone any remaining adhesive...
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if there is some secret decoder ring that comes with the purchase of an MB to get a response in here! I really think it is a fantastic looking automobile, and not having any extra labels would be a plus to me.

Just Goo Gone & floss? I can't believe it could be that easy (& never thought about using it for that). I use it all the time to remove stickers from things (nephews are little devils). I guess I thought there was some form of metal bonding or rivet or something similar holding them on.

What method do you recommend for heating? Hair dryer? I know I wouldn't want to spend that kind of $$$ and be responsible for wrecking the finish!

Thanks again
    You just want to warm it up enough to get the floss undernearth. It's better than using a heat gun :-)
    I'd suggest practicing on your old car or your neighbors' cars ;-)

Don't take off the center MB logo on the trunk though. That does use studs on the back of it to keep it in place. Only the lettering is glued on (and your dealership letters if they do that to cars...I asked mine not to put any free advertising on my ML :-)
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Jrct9454,

I appreciate the sentiment of your post. I remember when my dad's '59 180 was considered an ugly little car but that was lost on him because he purchased it for all the same reasons that you used to purchase yours. One thing I can pretty much guarentee about that car was that it came from the factory with the steering wheel on straight.
    >Miki - I am glad your rim problem has been >resolved to your satisfaction.

Miki
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    The fog light on my E-430 is also pretty effective at getting tailgaters to back off a bit :)
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    Hey everybody. I have been away for a while and just finished reading 189 posts!

Miki, I loved the line about the taste police! Don't be so sensitive! Glad that your issue was resolved.

Gary, Sorry about your bashed door. Hope they can fix it to "like new" condition.

Keys. I am on my 3rd key. The problem appears to be solved. You should be able to make the memory settings key dependent. Mine are!

There is a little trick to the "Easy Exit" feature. It does not engage if the seat travel will be less than 50%. (Whatever that means.) It works fine for my wife and she likes it because she does not hit her head on the mirror if the seat moves back. It does not move back for me but the steering wheel moves, which is fine.

Left center vent is fixed. (Not replaced, just put back together correctly by the tech.)

Trunk opening Deal. I had this problem also. All that we did was back off the 2 rubber stops on the bottom of the trunk lid. The fit was too tight and would not allow the latch to release.

I was following a CLK the other day and the idiot had his fog light on in bright sunlight. Veeeerrrrryyyyyy irritating!

Anybody heard from Drew lately????

14K miles and still loving it! I came out of the grocery store the other day and I had to clean a nose print off the window from a gawker!
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    Thanks. Very helpful to get confirmed how the keys are supposed to work in my discussion with the dealer. The way your keys work is also the way my old key worked (mostly, not quite), the part that (maybe) did not work was the easy entry/exit. Then they ordered new keys, and now even that does not work. I went to the service department today. My service rep now is also confused. He talked to a number of the salespeople, and they all said the seat memory IS seat dependent. But MB and the technician claims it is not. Unfortunately, they didn't have another car I could try it on, but he promissed to get to the bottom of it on Monday, and also find another car I can test it on.
  • calvinlgohcalvinlgoh Member Posts: 2
    i have a set of brand new brabus monoblock V 2PC wheels for sale. i just bought it but my financial situation is forcing me to part with it. these wheels have been authenticated by brabus of north america in Newport beach. they are 19/8.5 for the front and 19/9.5 for the back. the tires are pirelli P7000 265/30 and 235/35...all brand new and never used. the tires are mounted,balanced and the wheels are ready for installation right away. i will deliver anywhere in southern cali. these rims are perfect for C/E/S/CL class and others. i am asking for only 6000(negotiable) when brabus is selling it for about 7000...thats one thousand dollars off for brand new wheels. pls contact me 949-4130897 or email at calvinlgoh@hotmail.com.
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    Lilly

About a month ago someone posted that in the LA area they were selling c -240 /c -320 $500.00 over dealer's cost. The cost factor is 6.99834%.
    The c-240 MRSP is $30550.00 x 6.99834 = $28412.00.
    use the same cost factor on the c-320.
    The dealer's invoice prices are now available at both edmunds.com and kbb.com. The base invoice price for the C240 is $28,412 and the C320 is $34,364. These don't include the $645 destination fee or advertising fees. The invoice prices for the options are listed there as well.

Hope that helps.

John W.
    For what it's worth -- here's my story.......
    My seat memory was very much a problem with my first C320 (Black) and I was told if I disabled "easy exit" everything would work. Being me, I wanted everything to work including "easy exit". The Black had a problem holding more than one memory position -- it held the same position in 1-2-3, My Obsidian (so far-knock-on-wood) works as advertised. I put the key in the ignition and the seat, steering wheel and headrest (if necessary) move into position. When I remove the key, the seat moves back as does the steering wheel for exit. If I changed the position number the last time I drove and revert back to another number position, I do sometimes need to press the round button to bring it exactly to where I want. This just has to be done when there has been a change in position number last time car was driven.

I do not do valet parking, but at the carwash, dealer and Lakers games I have to release the car to another driver (sigh) so I use the seat lever
    to slide the seat back far enough so they do not have to play with MY settings. When I get the car back, I just press the round button again to get back to where I want to be. The mirrors drift, but very, very rarely. They drifted all the time on the Black.

I am 5'2 -- set the seat close and the steering wheel low.

Miki
  • julescmhjulescmh Member Posts: 2
    My car's alarm is acting up. It often goes on for no apparent reason, no one even close to the car or other rf/if signals generated nearby. Mostly happens within a few minutes of being armed, but that is not a rule. Sometimes happens after its been parked for hours. Went to the dealer, who attributed the problem to faulty keys. Ordered new keys for me which I received yesterday, problem persists. Problem happens even if I turn off the anti-towing feature. This is driving me nuts! Has anyone had problems like this before? Any ideas what could be causing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am amazed how incompetent some of these M-B dealers seem to be - exactly how a self-triggering false alarm could be attributed to a faulty key is beyond me.

You would have to know how the alarm operates in order to figure out what's triggering it. The tilt function is one aspect, but your disabling that function and still getting a false alarm would indicate that particular circuitry is not at fault. So the fault likely lies in the other aspect of the alarm circuit. I don't know whether it only senses aperture openings (doors, trunk, hood) or whether it includes an interior motion detector. In any event I would expect that one of the aperture sensors or motion sensors (if there are any) are at fault. Or maybe you have a mouse or rat living in your car ;-)

Seriously, let the service manager live with it at his house for a few days - I guarantee you that it'll be fixed promptly in that case.
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    My 2002 C 240 was in shop for so called never heard Trunk Lock problem, they returned my car , they said they have ordered the plate which they believe is causing the problem and once they received it they will give me a call and get it fixed !! aparantly I was surprised why the METAL keys not working in either on trunk or even on doors (I never tested when I took delivery as I did not expect this from MB at least) overall I am not satisfied, MB should consider this as TRUNK lock apparently keeping me away from activities like shopping or weekend stayovers where I need trunk for luggage - any thoughts !!

they gave me 1995 E300D car as a loaner for two days
This discussion has been closed.