Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• bjmanbjman Member Posts: 11
    Ok..I took some pictures of the car after I got it back from the shop--you can see them in the same album as before:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bjassin/

I have to say that before getting the car and driving it, I also thought that it would never be the same as new. But, I have to tell you, it absolutely is. First of all, I can't see ANY difference at all. It's really incredible--inside or outside. The car definitely drives and feels the same. I took it to a body shop run by the Mercedes dealer and the mechanic there has been fixing Mercedes (and BMW) cars for 20 yrs. He told me that they really do fix them just like new.

In any case, I am happy with the repair. I understand the problems that may occur with trading it in, but this car is fully paid for, and I don't plan on trading it in. I would probably just give it to a relative if I needed another car in the future.

You guys want to know what I did while waiting for this car? I went test driving other cars. That's right, I took my rental Dodge Intrepid and went to car dealerships and test drove the following cars:

Lexus ES 300 (2002 model), LS 430 (2002), GS 300, IS 300, BMW 330i, Nissan Altima (2002)

What did I think? To summarize briefly, I would not take a SINGLE one of those cars (including the LS 430) over my C320. Really, I could notice the difference in the cars right away. The only one that came close to the feel of the C320 was the BMW 330i, but the inside didn't feel the same as the MBZ and the engine and wind noise were just too loud.

So, after having missed my car for the last 5 weeks, I am happy to have it back ! Total cost of the repair--$16,400.

BJ

• weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    Well, after ordering my Orion Blue C240 sport 6spd on Sept 9 and patiently waiting for delivery this week, I was told that the dealer mistakenly ordered a C230 Coupe.

But it worked out well, since I've joined the ranks of the unemployed and I was able to cancel the contract.

But it was soooo close.

John W.
    I was visiting my local Borders book store last night, cruising the car magazines. And there it was!! "The Mercedes Enthusiast". It's a UK publication, so you have to hold the car interior shots in the mirror to have them look natural. LOL.

It has some great shots of the new SL.

It's their first issue at November 2001.

John W.
  • sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    "In any case, I am happy with the repair. I understand the problems that may occur with trading it in, but this car is fully paid for, and I don't plan on trading it in. I would probably just give it to a relative if I needed another car in the future."

Can I join your family???
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    for the great pictures. The repair pictures are amazing. Also thanks for your takes on the test drives. I own a MY2000 C230K and love the vehicle. Good luck with your C320.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Your post 4749 was great and right on the money, especially the next to the last paragraph.
    It's really refreshing to read something so satisfyingly correct. Thanks.

M
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    Outstanding repair job. You know it's a good body shop when they can match brilliant silver metallic paint the way they did on your C.
  • cecconceccon Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for your post.

I test drove the es300 and the C240 yesterday. the Lexus was pure luxury. A good commuter car --you can't feel the road, and you can barely hear the engine. The MBZ was pure fun, you feel the road and hear the engine while you zip around corners.

I thought I was getting an es300 until I drove the MBZ. Now I'm totally confused. I really like driving that C240.

As someone who drive 15,000 miles a year, the reliability issue is a serious one. jrct9454, I appreciate your analysis of the Lexus v. MBZ comparsion. However, I am amazed at how MBZ owners have become willing to accept small nagging problems with their cars, and that concerns me because I am used to driving a Lexus which is problem free.

I had lunch with a friend on Friday who bought an S430 about 6 months ago. Taking an informal survey, I asked how his car was running. He stated his automatic key did not work all the time, and his CD player sometimes went out in hot weather. I had another friend with an S500 who had his transmission replaced at 40,000 miles. I have a friend with a C280 with a sunroof which would not open. I also have friend with a C230 and an E 320 who have had no problems.

Despite these problems, all of them love their cars. Having driven one, I can see why.
  • julescmhjulescmh Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have been unsuccessful in getting good sound quality out of an FM modulator in my C240. I even installed a line driver (Phoenix Gold PLD1) between my music source (MP3 player) and the JVC Modulator. This improved quality and volume but is still not acceptable. I believe that the C240 head unit is designed to work with boosted FM signals, and that the FM Modulator is just not capable of providing output at that level without unacceptable distortion. What I want to do is to install the FM modulator between the rear windshield antenna and the antenna booster, so that the FM modulator's output is boosted as well. I would appreciate any pointers on where to locate the booster and on how to intercept the connection between the antenna and the booster. Thanks.

Jules
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    ceccon - I can totally relate to your experience. I too came close to purchasing a Mystic Gold ES300. However when I test drove the C240 it was as you said pure fun.

Spoke to my friends who own MBZ cars and only one person had a major problem with an 1986 E class sedan. Apparently some seals in the engine went bad and it cost $2000 to repair. In the 15 years she has owned that car she that was the only significant problem that she had.

On this discusion some C class owners have no problems, whereas others seem to have numerous problems. I placed an order for a C240 in October and it should arrive in December.

All I can say is my friends appear to be happy with their MBZ cars and they hardly experienced any problems. I hope my experience will be the same.
    I was reading an article on the new SL500 in the current "Mercedes Enthusiast" magazine.
    It states "Since 1995, the previously over-engineered cars from Stuttgart have fallen victim to the accountant's sword. The first generation W210 E-Class was the first of the of the "new" cars to be found wanting, and even the new C-Class falls short of traditional Mercedes quality standards by a small margin. While overall build quality is still high by industry standards, the problem for Mercedes is simply that their new cars were meeting the tangibly improving quality from Audi and BMW on the way down. A tidal wave of customer feedback has provoked a sea of change, and the construction, fit and finish of the new SL are worthy of traditional Mercedes-Benz levels."

Interesting, however they don't mention the quality of Toyota/Lexus. But it's a UK publication where Lexus is unknown.

John W.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I'm happy to hear your C320 has been properly repaired. You owe it to yourself, however, to call the insurance company responsible for the accident and ask them to compensate you for the car's loss in value due to the accident.
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    "Since 1995, the previously over-engineered cars from Stuttgart have fallen victim to the accountant's sword."

I disagree with this statement by the UK publication. Accountants may have affected the quality of materials used, but these cars are still 'over-engineered'. Problems with keys are an engineering problem, not build quality.

I love Toyota and I think the Lexus brand is the most reliable out there, but Mercedes seems to take the lead in introducing new technologies to effect 'Die Zukunft des Automobils' (the future of automobiles). As long as Mercedes is at the forefront of automotive engineering there will always be issues to overcome. In a few years, the key problem will only be a memory and we will be talking about other new features like Distronic and Parktronic on the C-Class. ;-)
  • ktanktan Member Posts: 9
    My C320 that had the same bodywork done is brilliant silver, just like yours. The only complaint I had was that my car was only 2 months old when it got into the accident. When it came back, the interior was not as clean as I would have liked, but, hey, nick picking on my part.

Good luck and hopefully no more accidents!
  • bjmanbjman Member Posts: 11
    I understand exactly what you are saying, but is this something that can actually be done? How do I go about it? Write a letter myself? Hire a lawyer? How do I determine what the loss of value is? Take it to a dealer and ask how much they would give me for trading it in if it had been in an accident vs. if it had not?

Has anyone here done anything like this before?

BJ
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    In the case of my friend with the BMW 528, he negotiated his deal before the car was repaired. He indicated the other guy's insurance company paid $6,500 of the $8,500 difference between trade-in of the repaired car and the cost of a new one (including taxes). The $2,000 they did not pay was negotiated on the basis of $500 per month for the four months that my friend had owned the car prior to the crash. They also paid his lawyers fees (under $1,000).

As soon as the repair estimate came in, he refused to authorize the work and had his lawyer write a letter demanding a brand new car. The demand was based upon the extent of the damages and the uncertainty of being able to restore the car to "as-new" condition. It probably didn't hurt the negotiations that the other guy ran a red light and he was slightly injured in the crash (although he never asked for or received injury compensation).

In your case, given that the car has already been repaired and you intend to keep it, it may be a tougher case. I would start by going to the Mercedes dealership and getting their quotes on trade in pre- and post-accident. If the difference is significant, I would both talk to a lawyer in your state as well as your own insurance company about what you may be entitiled to.
  • oyeeoyee Member Posts: 3
    Where is the best place to buy parts and accessories for MBZ?

Thanks
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    What are you looking for? A good source of aftermarket products that cover a wide range is:

http://www.precisionauto.com/

I like their hard-copy catalogues much better then their web site though.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    MBs are great cars to drive, but the costs do add up.

Your point about new technology is a good one, but unfortunately MB is suffering from more than new technology. On the last 3 MBs we have owned, we have replaced the shocks and struts on all 3 of them before 70K miles and brake discs on 2 of them by 50K miles. The head gasket failed on my E-class at 40K miles, and the radiator and water pump at 60K. This is not rocket science and these systems have not changed much in 20 or more years. I noticed in your bio that you are looking to buy a used S-class. I will admit there is considerable appeal to driving one of those big cruisers for somewhere around $30K +/-, but be prepared to spend on average $3K/year, in parts and labor to keep it running.
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    I'm going to trade my C-320 in for a convertible! Never carry more than one other person, so why not. Hope I can find a board as good as this one has been. You guys are great as far as posting info about problems and suggestions. See ya on the road.
    Bill
  • ronmendelronmendel Member Posts: 12
    Bill-

Last December I went to buy a SLK-320, totally ready for a convertible. I think the car is really sharp, has beautiful details, and a very cool top, etc. Then I drove it, in fact I drove two, trying to decide if the Sport was worth it.

Some things started bothering me. It didn't corner nearly as well as I expected. The side windows don't go down all the way, leaving about 3/4" to dig into your arm, if you like to drive with your arm resting atop the door (as I do). And lastly, the seat reclining angle is severely limited and I just could not get comfortable. It just was not at all my expectations of a Mercedes!

It turns out the current SLK's use the old recirculating ball steering gear, not the modern steering found on the current C-class. The next generation SLK's are going to resolve this, borrowing heavily from the C-class.

After spending about half a day driving the SLKs (and driving the Hoehn salesman crazy) I then drove a C320 and bought a Black/Ash C2, K2a which I now have put about 9000 TROUBLE FREE miles on. While I would have liked a convertible, with the sunroof and all windows open, I sure get a lot of sun and wind.

The more I drive my C320, the more I appreciate and love it.

-Ron
  • filterkingfilterking Member Posts: 9
    My 2001 c240 is 11 months old / 14000 miles on it. The fuel gauge is not showing the right amount of fuel. After i fill up the tank , it shows 3/4 tank. I took it to the dealer. They mentioned that another car is in the shop with the same problem. They don't have parts yet and i am taking it again next week. Has anyone else faced the same problem ?
  • captain_howdycaptain_howdy Member Posts: 5
    Yes. I have the same problem with the fuel guage on my C200 Kompressor. Took it to the dealer two days ago and they admitted that this was a "standard error" on the new C.

I probably will have my car back later today or early tomorrow.

/Daniel
  • w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    Ron,
    Thanks for your observations. I didn't notice the windows not going down. I will have to check that. I am like you and do use it as a ledge.
    Bill
  • loyloy Member Posts: 14
    2002 C320, got it at the end of July with 7,000 miles on it. Having the same problem - not showing the right amount. The car is at the dealer right now for the 3rd time with the same problem. Needless to say that I am not too happy.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    I saw a service bulletin with the symptom that engine runs out of fuel yet gauge show fuel in tank. Went on to explain there
    are two fuel tanks in C and a pump that transfers from one to
    the next as first empties. When the transfer pump does not
    function you get the symptom.
  • ltedescoltedesco Member Posts: 5
    Common problem with C Class....I have a '99 230 same problem at 15,000. Took it back to dealer they replaced the guage all OK now at 29,000.They will have to drop the fuel tank to replace it probably will take a day.All dealers are aware of the problem.
    Can anyone give me any information on what it would cost to purchase a warranty to 4100k on a C240 at the time of purchase?

Thanks.
    Sorry
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Thanks to kind folks posting here on Edmunds, I found an incredible extended warranty deal with Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA. Lisa gave me an incredible discount on the warranty - although I live in Georgia, I was able to do business with her via telephone, fax, and regular mail. This transaction saved me over $800, so it will be a great Christmas this year - and for the next 7 years I have no major MB repairs to worry about! I believe at the time (August, 2001) the price of the 4-year extended warranty for my 2000 C230 Kompressor Sport was $1,680 versus the regular $2,560 cost.

It can attest that this is for real, as three weeks later I asked my local Atlanta MB dealership's service advisor to check my vehicle's status in the system - and the extended warranty was indeed in effect!

The number to Coutesy Motors is (800) 655-3535, and their fax number is (530) 893-1131. Good luck!!!
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    Family members were involved in two accidents this year that were the fault of the other driver. In both cases I just called the insurance company responsible for the accident and asked for compensation for the reduced value of the car. We settled without involving any attorneys.
  • highrise_condohighrise_condo Member Posts: 16
    I took delivery of a German built C240 on 10/25. CV axle broke the next day and the car was in the shop for a week. When I go it back it had a knocking noise due to a loose sway bar. Back to the shop again. However, finally all is well. Even though I was off to a bad start, the more I drive the car the more I appreciate it. It's far superior to the 2001.5 VW Passat GLX that had provided me with 7 months of aggravating ownership -- 21 service visits in the first 6 months.

I have kept my previous cars (both Japanese)12 years but had reached my limit with the VW, unresolved problems, incompetant service techs, and the pathetic customer service. The VW was paid for and of course I took a loss after keeping it such a short time and trading it for the C240. However, the peace of mind I have with the MB far outweighs the monetary loss.

I had originally wanted a C-Class, but opted to save a few dollars by buying the VW. BIG MISTAKE!
    For what it's worth, I think the C240 is a teriffic value. I believe it will be a good long-term car . . I only wish that a CD player was standard equipment instead of a pricey option.
    paul p -- When you say you have a 4 year extended warranty, do you mean it lasts for 4 years beyond the 4 year warranty that come with the car? Is the warranty through MBZ?

I have found some good deal for warranties shopping on the net. Many of the companies appear to be fly by night operations. however, General Electric offers an extended warranty to 100k for around $1,200. You can check it out at www.geautowarranty.com. Any thoughts on buying a non-MBZ warranty?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Can you give us your comparison of driving both the C240 and the GLX. In particular did you find the GLX to have significantly more wind or road noise that the C240? If you hadn't had the problems with the VW and it had worked flawlessly how would feel about the two cars?
  • kkuetkkuet Member Posts: 28
    i have a problem with the fuel gauge also, but a different one. when i fill it up, it goes all the way to full, but after driving 60-70 miles or so, it's already 1/3 empty. so it's not reading it accuarately. has anyone come across this problem?
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    I purchased my Premium Extended Warranty 4 yrs/100,000 miles from Lisa, too. Courtesy Motors is a reliable source -- after purchasing I checked it out immediately on MB database and the information was entered.

Miki
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    Can someone tell me where you verify this on the MB database? Thank you.
  • mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    I bought my warranty from Lisa too.
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    The great key mystery has been solved.

My dealer determined that they had ordered the wrong keys for my 240 that last time they replaced them. New keys arrived and everything now works.

Key dependent features all working! If I drive after my wife, the seat goes to my last setting when I put in my key. Both the seat and steering column move after she turns off the car, but only the steering column for me, just like I programed it. All doors, windows and trunk lock and unlock.

Life is good. (When Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy!) Momma is happy again.

BTW, after driving the Honda loaner for 3 days, she really was happy to get her baby back.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >Can someone tell me where you verify this on the >MB database? Thank you.

I called 1-800 FOR MERCEDES, and they were happy to check that the warranty was on the database for me.

Miki
    Does a 4 year/100,000 mile warranty mean you are covered for 8 years, given that the original warranty is for 4 years?
  • ltedescoltedesco Member Posts: 5
    Gauge problem.... it can do either, show 3/4 or show full, then show empty......just bring it in and have it replaced....as I wrote in an earlier post "all" service depts. know about this problem.
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    ceccon,

Yes, he extended warranty I bought is the one offered by Mercedes-Benz that covers the vehicle for an additional 4 years and 50,000 miles - for a total of 8 years and 100,000 miles from the initial vehicle delivery date.

- Paul
  • castinstonecastinstone Member Posts: 12
    In the Winter New Car Preview from Consumer Reports, the C320 rates an average recommended reliability. This doesn't discount all the teething problems that others were having, but this board may not be a good sampling of what the car is really like.
  • highrise_condohighrise_condo Member Posts: 16
    Wind and road noise were never an issue with the VW. At cruising speed on highways it was whisper quiet and smooth. However, even small bumps felt very hard. When accelerating from a stop the engine was particulary noisy at 2K rpm. With the sunroof open, the curvature of the roof did create some noise. The auto transmission shifted very smoothly when accelerating but was rough when decelerating.

I haven't taken the C on the highway yet (I'm trying to adhere to the max 50mph break-in period)but driving around town, the C is very quiet and the extremely smooth ride surpasses that of the VW. No wind noise at all. The C has a smaller 6-cyl, but it idles much smoother and has enough pick-up to satisfy me.

Even though the C is smaller than the Passat, it has a very substantial feel to it. I also find it more comfortable and enjoyable to drive. It just feels well made.

The VW is a beautiful car and the GLX trim line is loaded with features: rain sensing wipers, heated seats w/memory, homelink, premium sound system (CD is extra), etc. Because of all the features, I think the Passat is a terrific value. If my VW hadn't had chronic problems I would probably feel I had made the right decision by buying it.

Because I wanted to save a few $, I didn't even drive the C when I was car shopping. But now that I've experienced the solid feel and exceptional ride of the C, my expectations of a car have been raised. If I were to drive a Passat now, I'd probably be disappointed in the ride.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Thanks for the feedback. I've driven a couple of Passat's and found that some of them seem to have more wind noise than others. Which is why I asked. Aside from the service issues the Passat seems like a beautiful solid well made car. I agree, the new C is more fun to drive. The rear wheel drive chassis is much better balanced with the all aluminum engine.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Just goes to show you how people's experiences can be different. I have a 98 Passat with 76000 trouble free miles. The only problem I had with it was caused by the dealer, they seized my drain plug during an oil change. They ordered me a new pan, but when I returned to have it installed, they freed the plug and, get this, they then charged me for new oil that they had to replace after freeing the plug they seized!

Motorweek had a report on their long term C320 this week. All seemed well, except for a key problem:

http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/longterm/

• ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    Do I understand this correctly: you set easy-entry exit to move only the steering wheel, while your wife also set it to move the seat. When you insert your key the seat moves automatically to your last position? That's the way I thought it should work, but my car never worked that way. I have to set easy entry/exit to also move the seat backwards (although I don't like that), if I want it to automatically move to my position when I insert my key after my wife drove. I thought it was a design flaw, but maybe it is a problem with my key?
  • madartolmadartol Member Posts: 3
    This is my 1st posting and I'd like to start out by saying thank you to all of the folks who have shared their experiences with everyone. I'd like to return the favor and hope that others find my post useful.

I took a circuitous route to purchasing my C320 - at first I tried negotiating with local dealers, then went through a broker and saved $1500 off MSRP and purchased exactly what I wanted - C320, Capri Blue metallic paint, charcoal interior, C2 (sunroof, rain sensing windshield wipers, rear sunscreen) and C3 (split rear seats and ski sack).

I took delivery last Saturday, and am happy with my first new car - smooth and solid drive, beautiful exterior, interior roomy enough for my girlfriend and I! (As a reference point, my last car was a Honda Accord which had 140,000+ miles and was overdue for retirement.)

I have had a few glitches, as follows:

a) the rear foglight wasn't working when I picked the car up, but that was fixed right away

b) the spare smartkey stopped working a few days after I picked my car up; I don't use a keychain so the issue isn't caused by suspending lots of keys from the smartkey. I'll try debugging this glitch by replacing the battery and if that doesn't work, I'll have the dealer check it out

c) the dual heating doesn't work (which annoyed my girlfriend as she likes to turn the heat up and I prefer it cooler, but this didn't bother me too much as it appears that the driver side control knob overrides the passenger side knob ;))

d) Tele-Aid hasn't been enabled yet (first I was told that it would take a few days to be enabled and then I was told that it could take a week)

The Tele-Aid glitch isn't an issue (yet), more a gap in setting expectations as this safety feature was advertised as being available soon after taking delivery of my new car. I'm having these glitches addressed by my local dealer, who remarked that the key problem is a known C-class issue. In any case, time to resolution for these glitches and my experience over the next few weeks and months will probably shape my evaluation of my C320.

Two more things: does anyone have any recommendations for a bike roof rack for my C320? I was thinking of getting a Thule bike rack vs. the standard MB rack. Also, any recommendations for a good deal on hardened alloy wheels? Thanks!
  • mofo01mofo01 Member Posts: 7
    I just wondering if anyone have any problems with uneven / wavy worn on the front tires. They're making annoying noises. I took my car in for Service B (20000) last week and mentioned about my wavy treads and the service advisor stated that MB and BMW design like that. He stated that the front tires spread when driving at high speed. Can anyone confirm if this is really the case.
This discussion has been closed.