Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• duhblecduhblec Member Posts: 7
    Hello!

I’m looking at purchasing a new 2002 C-coupe. I will get it with almost everything (i.e. comand, c1 package, c5 premium package, leather, multi-contour seat, auto trans). The only reason I can get this is because of some settlement money I have come across so I’m new to MB. That means I’m left with a few questions:

What is the service like, cost, worth, etc. All of the small things that most don’t think or care about when purchasing a MB I’m thinking about. I don’t know, any help would be great!

Thanx!
  • htma1htma1 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone else have a problem with oil level sensor? My 2001 C240/6 flashes a red warning screen, beeps, and gives me the "OIL OVER FILLED" warning once or twice a day. The dealer said that they replaced the oil sensor a month ago to correct this problem, and changed the oil (A-service)at the same time. I'm pretty sure that they changed the sensor, because they spilled oil on the exhaust, and we were treated to the smell of burning synthetic oil for a couple weeks.

The over-fill warning went away for a week or so after the repair, but now it's going off a couple times a day.

Then again, maybe my engine is creating oil?
  • bouncingbobbouncingbob Member Posts: 19
    My 2001 C320 is 10 months old now. I thought I fell victim to the "forgetful key" syndrome that has plagued other owners.

Both keys started to intermittently give trouble (not opening or locking doors, ignition not working). The red diode would blink when I tested for adequate battery power. I tried re-programing the keys by inserting into the ignition lock 12 consecutive times. I tested the lithium CR 2025 batteries, and they both read "good" on my battery test meter, well into the green zone. For the past week, I have been carrying three keys with me (both Smart Keys, plus the mechanical key), in case of emergency. I did not feel like being towed, given the cold weather we now have in New York.

The Home Depot had a sale on batteries on New Year's Day (1/2 price for all Duracell!). I purchased four new CR 2025 batteries. I tested them prior to installation, and well, the new batteries were even further into the green "good" zone on the meter!

I have not had a problem yet with the new batteries! Perhaps batteries falling just short of 3V, by even a few tenths of a volt, are causing some of the key problems.

I remember my previous cars used 12-volt batteries in the remote controller, so maybe Mercedes figured out a way to cause much grief for their customers by using two 3V batteries in series.

Any thoughts...
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    Previously on the board I believe some people wrote about side mirror drift, i.e., after some time (e.g. a week) the side mirrors would have (slowly) drifted out of their setting and would have to be set back by pressing the memory button. I'm experiencing that, and I wonder if someone ever found a solution/had it corrected by the service center?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    If I am not mistaken, battery is not needed to start car. So if your ignition was not working it was a bigger problem. After two key replacements in the first 4 months I have been key problem free for 6 months. In fact, after getting the steering wheel straightened, the keys, and a new front passenger seat belt retractor, I've been trouble free and really enjoying the car. Not your Japanese car quality but then again not your Japanese car driving experience either.
    Having owned both I prefer the MB and know the long term (100K miles +) mechanical integrity is superior.
  • mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    Last Friday, I made appt at Auto Stiegler in Encino to replace tail light per indicator. They had the car all day, and at 4 pm, I got a message that they didn't get to it and would need to keep the car over the weekend and I could keep the free rental. But I didn't have a rental! I picked up the car that evening. There was no apology and no explanation. I am never bringing my car there again, nor would I ever buy a car there. This is the third time in a row that they've displayed horrible service. Coincidentally, my wife's Honda also had a tail light out. I called my Honda service guy (J&C in North Hollywood), who told me to bring it in. They replaced it in 4 minutes. What a contrast.
  • bouncingbobbouncingbob Member Posts: 19
    I should have clarified... the only time I had trouble with the key in the ignition was when I was inserting 12 times to reprogram the key. Occasionally, the ignition may not recognize the key (this is mentioned in the owner's manual). Otherwise, my forgetful keys' only symptom was not locking or unlocking the doors (intermittently).

This problem was resolved with fresh lithium batteries. It wouldn't be apparent, however, as the original batteries still tested good on the battery meter (almost "like new" on voltmeter) and red diode still blinked on the SmartKey.

Wish me luck over the next 9-10 months or so... at which point I will proactively change the 3V batteries again!
  • benzbabebenzbabe Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a C240 several months ago, but decided at that time not to purchase the extended warranty. I have decided to purchase the warranty and have been trying to find the post that provides info on purchasing the extended warranty. Can someone provide me with either the post number that contains the info or provide any info on purchasing an extended warranty at a "good price."
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    You will find the extended warranty information you are looking for, on this board (i.e. the Mercedes Benz C Class) in post # 4781 by paul_p. He saved $800 compared to his local dealer. You must purchase by the end of the first year from purcahse date. Name is: Lisa Lehrbaum, Courtesy Motors, Chico, CA at 1-800-655-3535 Lisa's FAX number is 530-893-1131
    Good luck.
  • mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    In contrast to Auto Stiegler's failure to fix my tail light even though they kept my car an entire day and wanted to keep it over the weekend, I took it to Downtown LA MB, where it was fixed in 10 minutes. It was fixed by the service advisor himself,with no paperwork and no waiting.
  • scaredmbscaredmb Member Posts: 11
    I have been having trouble with side mirror drift as well and the dealership has looked at the problem on at least six different service visits since September (the mirror is not the only problem .... power seats, electric windows, keys, trunk, ..... and so on). The dealer has yet to figure out the mirror drift and instead has damaged the interior door panel - 2" diameter bubbles - pushed through from the back side of the soft interior door panel. They also decided to remove and lose the rubber trim that runs along the top of the interior door panel along the base of the window. If you wondered - it sounds like you are driving with a window cracked with that trim missing. It took several weeks for them to even aknowledge they had removed and lost the part. Anyway, they've replaced the trim piece and the entire door panel and the mirror still drifts. I give up. I'm getting rid of this heap as soon as I can!!
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Hi, yesterday when I was driving on snow, I realize that when I apply breaks it gives me funny sound and some resistance while driving on a road with a snow accumulated; I am just wondering if this is a normal behavior of the CAR, I am driving in "W" mode - any replies would be appricaited
    thanks
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    It's called ABS - the antilock braking system is doing its job [those would be brakes, not breaks...let's hope, anyway].

This has nothing to do with whether you use the winter or summer mode in the transmission - all the winter mode does is start you in second gear to try to minimize wheel spin.

Between the ABS and ESP, this is a very safe car in snow - but no system will make up for a complete lack of traction, which is why snow tires are a good idea in any area of the country that sees substantial quantities of the white stuff. Somehow, the tone of your question suggests you are not in one of those areas, in which case slow speeds and due caution are all that are required.
    thanks for the valuable information, now I know that W is only need to be used when you start the car initially, and once it is motion we should change to S - please correct me !!

I also noticed on my information panel, the "i" mark in triangle appears and then disappears when that breaking happens. It happens so fast that I could not get chance to see what exactly it is.

I am in Columbus ohio area and only yesterday I had chance to take her on ice

thanks
  • ngdienngdien Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed that a lot of people are buying the extended warranty, but a lot of MB owners claimed that their cars last well into 200K miles without any major problem so I am wondering if the Extended warranty is necessary. Also if you think MB has a great reputation for quality and longevity then why are you doubting their FSS sytem? I don't think they want to risk their reputation if it does not perform as designed.
    The warning triangle light is telling you that the traction control is working - it will first modulate the brakes, and then cut the throttle, depending on what it takes to keep you moving forward. Everything you describe is the system working as it should under these conditions...
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    ngdien,

I would agree with you that 200k with minimal (if any) drivetrain issues is not unreasonable mileage for a MB vehicle to accumulate. But imho, it is the "small things" that will get you - one of my former colleagues liked to use the phrase "nickel and dime you to death." In this case it's by the $100.00's.

As others have mentioned on the board, MB repairs can be quite costly. If something as "small" as your fuel gauge or electronic speedometer stops working - which could require replacement of the instrument cluster - at 4 years and one day or 50,001 miles, it could easily cost you over a thousand dollars to get fixed. There is also a myriad of electronic sensors on the car, most of which I would expect are in the hundreds of dollars to replace.

I believe the extended warranty covers those things and much more for up to 4 years beyond the regular warranty (total of 8 years). The $1,680 I paid for my extended warranty was worth the peace of mind. Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA is who I bought it from, saving about $860. over what I was quoted by my hometown Atlanta dealer. Lisa can be reached at (800) 655-3535.

Buying the extended warranty was not an easy decision for me, as I work in an unstable high-tech industry. I wanted to therefore ensure minimized cost over the next 7 years with my (paid-for) Benz. The last thing I would want is to have to sell it because I could not afford to fix the air conditioner, transmission, electronics, etc.

Good luck with your decision and with maintenance on your MB!

- Paul
  • maroon95maroon95 Member Posts: 26
    What do you recommend to clean my C240 leatherette?

I used a cotton swab w/ rubbing alcohol to clean it...Is it safe?

Thank you for your advice.
    ...for this purpose. There are lots of products out there for cleaning vinyl surfaces that are effective and a lot more gentle on the material. Take a stroll down the auto supply aisle at any discounter...
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    I was driving through heavy rain a few weeks ago. Ran into fairly deep (4-6 inches) standing water and the yellow warning light came on for only a second or two. I was wondering if something went haywire but am glad to hear that it was just the notification (in effect)that the system is working. It IS a scary way to notify one though. I have a 1999 C280.
    Thanks for the information.
  • pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    The warning lights a quick reminder to slow down or use caution when you're on wet roads and hitting those puddles and even more so I think when you hit those frosty sections of an otherwise dry clear road in winter... especially when it's getting dark and you can't see as well.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    My warning lights are coming on more often now that my rear tires are wearing out. Happens every time I go up my driveway now.

AFAIK, the buttons will only work with the OEM CD changer. If you don't wanna pay the factory price you can get an OEM CD changer at somewhere like clairparts.com and install it yourself. You need to ask the guys there whether you need to still take it to dealer get the system to recognize CD changer though. Pro of dealer installation, the CD changer is warrantied for 4 years. Con: Price.

Cotton swabs and alcohol. Sounds as fun as cleaning toilets with a toothbrush. That will disinfect the seats too, but is someone with open sores and a thong sitting in your seats? It might dry the leatherette too. I use a Meguiar's leather cleaner. They sell one for synthetics too.

husky11: Wasn't that rain something. 4-6 inches of standing water? I once drove in water that deep and it shorted out the engine.
    Just curious: Would driving through 4 to 6 inches of standing water be enough to warp the front rotors on a C-Class?

My 1995 C started developing front braking vibration at 25,000 miles, and I wonder if it was becase when I washed the car, I used to spray lots of water to clean the front wheels (after driving it). Just in case it does make a difference, I will only wash the front wheels on my "new" '00 C before driving - when they are cool.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Paul,
    Driving through a puddle of water (no matter how deep) will only warp your rotors if they are REALLY hot, like immediately after an emergency brake manoeuver. Under regular driving conditions, the sudden temperature change won't be enough to do any harm.

ctic,
    A friend's brother (yeah, yeah...) had his Toyota LC turbo diesel fitted with a cold induction kit and increased boost to be, well, quicker. As appropriate (he thought) for a 4x4, puddles were no reason for him to slow down, ever. What he didn't know until the tragic day his engine gave up its ghost, was that the cold induction pipe ended in the back of the right front wheel well. The air out there is rather cool - and in his case it was saturated with water, too! His engine took a good gulp of water, which in turn very suddenly blocked the engine after making it into the compression chambers. Diagnosis: broken and bent connecting rods, engine all to h@**. Intake kit Manufacturer's remorse and answer to his claim: zilch

After this little endeavor, he switched to a 190E and was never again seen anywhere close to standing water...

Tarik
    thanks for the valuable information and I am glad that I bought C
    did anyone noticed new commercial of C lately?
    one more thing I watch watching a movie shot in Luxemberg and the girl in that movie was driving CAR exact similar to C 240/320 but the rear end was reading as C200 Kompressor !! this is just for information
  • ashwinmkashwinmk Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I got my C240 last year in Feb 2000. With a few minor issues Can anyboy help with these:
    1. One of car keys does not work, especially, If I take it out as soon as I stop the car.

2. The breaks sweak always.. Took it to the dealer on the 2nd day, the cleaned it and it worked fine .... it is back again..

3. SNOW !!!. I live in the North east, I justk skid and skip on slopes any suggestions. Will snow tires help ?.

Thanks

A
    A single shot through a deep puddle probably won't do it, but hitting hot brakes with a hose when washing it certainly will. ALWAYS wait for the brakes to cool before attempting to wash around the wheels, either front or rear.
    If you are slipping and sliding, there is no question you need winter tires. There are lots of alternatives, including ready-to-mount packages from such as Tire Rack [got to TireRack.com - they have a superb website]. Or, switch to a all-season tire that has a good rep for wet/snow traction - the Michelin MXV4 Plus is a good choice if you are not constantly in snow during the winter. Also keep in mind that effectiveness is reduced a lot as the tread wears down - what is safe and reasonable in the summer might make the car useless in the winter, depending on the tire and tread design.
    There are at least 3 or 4 other engines available to EU customers for this car that we don't see here, including the 2 liter Kompressor. Thus it has always been and probably always will be - same with interior options, color choices, wheel choices, etc. ad nauseum.

If we ever do see the next generation A-Class here, as promised, count on a maximum of one or two engine choices, vs a half dozen in the EU. Certifying all of the various engine/transmission combinations for US sale is too expensive, and just will never happen...
    Spraying your hot wheels with cool water is a definite no-no. No matter how tempting it is to wash your car after getting home I always wait until the morning to wash it. Another thing I do after washing the car is to drive it a little bit to get any remaining pools of standing water off unseen surfaces. And I step on the brakes a little. This way you get water off the brakes and you don't get any unsightly rust marks on your brakes.

Having said that, I don't suppose it is a good idea to go through a car wash after driving your car hard then. Because your brakes are sure to be hot and the car wash will be spraying cold water on them. But in living in Seattle you're always going to get a combination of hot wheels and cold water because it rains half the time and the brakes are sure to get wet any time you're driving in the rain.

Tarik: It was also a Toyota I was driving in when the engine went out. Strangely enough, it was in the Bay Area. It was the only downpour I had ever been in down there, massive amounts of rain, worse than in Seattle, just for a few hours. Would have drowned if I were born a few inches shorter.
  • lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    If your engine is out in the water, what should you do? I have both TOYOTA and MB.

How to fix the chips in the hood? I noticed several of them in the front.

Thanks.
  • tlam625tlam625 Member Posts: 13
    Can someone explain what is the purpose behind this "certification process"?

Why is the US gov interested in a particular engine/trans combination?

Is this process required by any European countries on import car?

What it takes for the car company to apply for the cert? Cost?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    - Emission standards must be known and met.
    - Only interested that it passes emission standards
    - Don't know about emissions, but safety standards must be met in some foreign countries. Japan is notorious for requiring all kinds of standards be met.
    - Cost a lot for each certification
    You can git some touch up paint to fix the chips, but I been too lazy to do it.
  • kingkevinkingkevin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 C240 and have been very satisfied with the car except the fm radio reception could be better. The car has the standard radio. MB dealer has tried to fix by replacing the radio and the rear window antenna, with some improvement. Is this a common problem? Has anyone added an external antenna? The loaner cars I had had the Bose radio and that worked pretty good.
  • allanpfeffallanpfeff Member Posts: 4
    I have one more month to purchase an extended warranty for my 2001 black 240C.

I drive less than 5,000 miles per year and do not know if the purchase of a warranty is cost effective with such few miles.

Also, if I decide to purchase the warranty what size discount from list price should I expect.

Any infomation concerning such a warranty would be appreciated.
  • modendahlmodendahl Member Posts: 22
    Has anybody out there ever used the M-B European delivery? It seems like a pretty interesting program. Doesn't knock much off the price except for the delivery charge. If I'm going to buy one anyway, it seems like I might as well try this out.

Anybody have thoughts on this?
    Had 2 friends do the BMW European delivery. Had a lot of fun in Italy, Austria and Germany. Very hairy drives especially in Italy. It's best if you want a European vacation.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    BMW and Volvo offer enough of a discount on Euro deliveries to make it worthwhile from a cost standpoint ie the savings are enough to cover a good chunk of a trip unlike Mercedes or Audi
  • htma1htma1 Member Posts: 10
    We bought our C240/6 by European delivery last March. We'd planned a trip to Europe anyway, and the new car was icing on cake. There isn't a financial incentive to do ED unless you are planning a trip anyway. They require you to pay MSRP (less the transportation charge) when you order for factory delivery. I think that the delivery fee discount was $695? I did negotiate a better price on dealer-installed CD, though not free. The ED program provides you vouchers for a couple nights in very nice hotels (better than I usually stay in), lunch at the factory dining room (excellent), and a lovely factory tour. You can drive your car all over Europe for a couple weeks (they supply registration, plates, and up to 15 days insurance) before you drop it off for shipment. Driving in Europe isn't cheap, with premium gas $5 or 6 a gallon, and horrendous tolls on French autoroutes. And with the brand new MB, I really didn't want to drive at full autobahn speeds, or really get into the spirit of inner-city battle traffic like I would have with a rental.
    Delivery time after drop-off is variable - they said to expect 6 to 8 weeks, but we dropped our car off (in Stuttgart) March 30 and didn't receive it here till the day after Memorial Day, close to ten weeks.
    One small bonus - when we bought car tags here, the tax assessor didn't charge for automobile sales tax, because our car had already been registered and tagged in Germany. That made about a 4% discount in Alabama. YMMV, depending on local laws.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I had my C320 safely parked in my garage in my country house in NE PA. Last Sunday we had about 18 inches of snow so I had to drive my Jeep Liberty home instead of the C320. It was wild driving home in UNPAVED snow but the Jeep did fine. Anyway, I returned today (1-13-02) and tried to flatten the snow on the driveway with the Jeep. It's a pretty steep driveway, but the top is not as steep. I figured if I packed the snow down enough, the Mercedes would be able to acsend the hill with no problem. Well, the C did need a little boost before it went up but I successfully made it up and parked within a foot of the garage door. I put the emergency brake on and then took my dogs out for a walk. As I was walking them, I was looking at the Benz and then it suddenly started sliding down the driveway!!!!! Luckily it stayed straight and merely stopped at the bottom of the driveway once it hit the dry pavement. Unfortunately the alarm went off and right after that my cell phone rang. It was MB asking me if my car was ok!!!!! I was impressed!!

Has anyone else with a C320 sport driven in snow yet? I have the conti-sport tires and they seem worthless in the snow. I don't intend to change them since I use the jeep in adverse conditions. I was just wondering if the car can be driven safely in a couple of inches of snow with NO HILLS!

Thanks to all who reply!
    Eeeek!

Kind of like an "out-of-body" experience? I can't stand watching something happen and being unable to do anything about it.

Sorry, but I only have experience with a '95 C220 in snow. Did very well with the factory Conti-Touring Contacts.

- P
    Yes, the Contis are next to useless in snow. Your experience should have proved that beyond a doubt...Mich MXV4s are better in snow, but dedicated snow tires are the only answer if you want to use this car in any area that sees serious snow more than occasionally.

And this story reminds me of the time we parked our new '84 190E at the far end of an empty shopping center parking lot, only to come out of the store and watch helplessly as a shopping cart was propelled by the wind from nearly 50 yards away [!!!!] taking dead aim at the car...insert silent scream here, and not-so-silent cursing...and put a nice dent in the left rear door. Now, in addition to distance, I try to gauge wind and slope, as well as the phase of the moon, when deciding where to park...sigh...
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was looking at a house which sat on a hill. The real estate agent couldn't get up the snowy/icy driveway, but he could with his Audi quattro . He was quite pleased with himself and his Audi until he came back out of the house and found his car across the street.
    John,

I have to agree with you about the Conti's being next to useless in snow. Though I went through a few New England storms with them, I never got stuck in the snow - which is what I meant by I "did very well" with them. There's a lot more to it such as traction and handling that I did not consider, as I was just glad to have arrived safely at my destination.

I am sometimes overly cautious, but prefer to live by the pilot's motto of "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground."

- Paul
    Contis are useless in the rain too!
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I find that my C320 is fine in the rain. I have no problem accelerating briskly from a stop in heavy rain. All I can stay is I am extremely happy to have ESP and traction control! I'm sorry to say but if Mercedes doesn't offer AWD in the next generation C, I'm switching back to my beloved A4. I had a '96 with blizzak tires and that car was UNBELIEVABLE. Think snowmobile!!
  • neskierneskier Member Posts: 6
    I live in Boston and routinely drive to New Hampshire and Vermont to ski. My C-240 6 speed is a champion in the snow. It does become a snowplow in any depth greater than about 4-5 inches though (height of front air dam). One thing to worry about is other cars on the road... people see how well you are doing with state of the art ABS and ESP and they think their honda or chevy is up to it and then they slide right into the back of your benz or a pole.

I "tested" the ESP in a snow covered parking lot and it does help, but is not invincible. I have yet to make a big enough mistake at high speed to check that... not looking forward to it either.

I have run I-89 to I-93 through New Hampshire on hardpack in the fast lane recently. I noticed a not so peculiar thing: only the german cars are willing to run in the hardpack in the fast lane. They generally stick together in "caravans". Do you think this is a driver mentality or a car capability or both? I myself have no problem running on hardpack at 50-65 mph... this is not for the faint of heart though. No sudden movements please...

p.s. I wouldn't try any of this if you are used to driving in Texas or Atlanta. Snow is a whole new ball game.

- North East Skier
    ...ESP cannot do anything for you in the absence of traction. Nor can any AWD system...the insane behaviors we often see in the Calif mountains come from SUV drivers who think they are invincible. Fundamentally, either the tires can grip the available surface or they can't. If they can't, then you are going to continue to go in whatever direction you were going before you lost traction...into a pole, another car, a ditch, the bottom of the driveway, etc. AWD systems make people forget that in the absence of good friction between the tire and road, all control is lost. The CHP has to remind people of this in our state all the time, and still digs several dozen of these people out of the ditch every ski weekend in the Sierras.

Running on hardpack at over 50 mph??? Via Con Dios...
    When I first got my AWD I thought I was, maybe not invincible, but maybe just incorrigible. Then I hit an icy patch. When tires have nothing to grip neither AWD or ABS does anything for you. I was reduced to watching the curb come closer and closer, just like when I was driving my RWD with all seasons.
This discussion has been closed.