Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• diamondldiamondl Member Posts: 2
    After receiving my brand new 2001 C240 as a gift from my husband, I have been to the shop 4 or more times; everything from keys replaced (2x), CD inoperable and being replaced, and returning for high oil level and enginge light trouble (2x) and a part replaced for the engine. At the present time the engine light is on again!! It has been truly disappointing and also embarrasing. The last incident occurred last week; after starting the car and pressing the thruttle, the car would not move past 40 for appr. 2 min. then forcefully moved to 60 and would'nt go any faster. I have 18k miles at the time and will be visiting the shop again tomorrow. It is so badd that the rent a car agent knows me almost by name. I need assistance!!! By the time I found out about an extended warranty it was too late and was quoted a price of $2500 which was unaffordable at the time but was much needed. Am I having too many problems for my car to be only 1yr. and 2weeks old? Has anyone else had these problems? What advice can you give? Any advice given would be most helpful.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...Your situation is not typical, but not unheard of, either. One question, though...what would an extended warranty do to help you through these problems?

Practical advice: ask your dealer's general manager this question - "what do you want to do to salvage this customer relationship?"
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    At the present time the engine light is on again!!

Sometimes the check engine light comes on if the gas cap has not been tightened all the way. It usually goes off after a while (say a week). An unscrupulous service advisor may not tell you to check this basic fix, preferring to have you come in and have an O2 sensor replaced(personal experience).

after starting the car and pressing the thruttle, the car would not move past 40 for appr. 2 min. then forcefully moved to 60 and would'nt go any faster.

What was the weather like? In cold weather, it is recommended that one stays under 3000 rpms until the engine heats up, which may take a minute or so. It also doesn't speed up the way it normally does when it's heated up.

It sounds to me like you were trying to speed up before the engine was warmed up (my car does this too, and it won't go very fast until the engine temperature indicator has moved out of the "blue" section). If this is the case, it's normal.

Of course, if you have this problem all the time, even after driving the car for a while, then it's not normal. :)
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    To suggest that a car wouldn't make it to 60 MPH because the engine was cold and it was cold outside is nothing short of absurd. Clearly there is something wrong with the car. Granted BMW's have variable redlines as a function of engine temperature but I'm willing to bet that you could drive at highly illegal speeds at their lowest (coldest) redline setting.
  • diamondldiamondl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. We spoke to the GM today and tried to negotiate a deal about the car and he wants to discuss it w/ his boss..etc. The service manager agreed that this car has been in the shop more times in the first year than some others and also stated that others have had problems w/ the C models.
    I would love for MB to buy the car back but not exactly sure of what to do. I have done some research and will be contacting the Lemon Law office tomorrow.
    I adore my car but too many problems for it to be only YR.1. At the time I have 18k+ on the car and the Lemon Law stated 1yr./12,000m and also 24 mths./24k miles.I would love to stay with MB but this first exp. has not impressed me.
    This board is awesome. The advice is priceless!!

By the way; I tried the gas cap and it was tight, the weather that day was warm 68-70 degrees, and we are currently working w/ the GM to see what and how long it will take before having this problem solved. Now when I am about to drive the car, I am always wondering, "What light will it be today?" In my opinion, it was a safety hazard on the highway w/ a dying engine and I almost panicked.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    mbnut:
    Clearly there is something wrong with the car.
    Guess so from diamondl's followup post. I just tend to try ruling out the most obvious/cost-effective possibilites...hence my suggestions.

I'm willing to bet that you could drive at highly illegal speeds at their lowest (coldest) redline setting.
    Yeah, but why would I want to? :)

diamondl:
    Good Luck with your car. Keep us posted on further developments.
  • crankstercrankster Member Posts: 20
    When my C240 had been in the shop 38 days in the 1st 10 months, the MB Regional Service Rep "didn't think that 38 days had been an unreasonable amount of time" for repairs to my car. It's now being stored awaiting a lemon law court date.

I bought a new Lexus LS430 as a replacement, as I couldn't afford the enormous amount of time owning an MB requires. Money I have, time I do not. The C240 has been without doubt, the worst vehicle I have ever owned, and the MB organization is on par with the vehicle. The Strategic Vision 2001 Vehicle Quality Study ranks MB 31st out of 35 manufacturers (just above Hyundai). It's exactly where MB belongs.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    MB thinks 38 days in 10 months is reasonable? That's arrogant, and part of their problem. To think people will put up with that much inconvenience for the right to own their brand is beyond common sense. I feel fortunate to have a relatively trouble free 320 and am more than happy with it's performance and reliability....14 months, 24K miles. I don't blame you for switching.
  • kingkevinkingkevin Member Posts: 2
    I am curious if anyone has upgraded the standard radio in their C240? I have never been satisfied with the reception on mine. Dealer replaced radio antenna and components twice and it did nothing! Now each time I took the car in I had an E class loaner and the radio worked fine. So for a further test they gave me a brand new C240 to try with a standard radio and the reception was no better than mine! As good as it gets as they say. Then I tried a C320 with a Bose and that worked great. I have written MB and told them I don’t know why they even offer their standard radio. The sound quality is pretty good but the FM reception is not strong with fading in and out and static.. I would have been much happier just paying the extra $600. Now MB does not want to upgrade the radio. They say it can only be done at the factory due to a different set up, different fiber optics and the amplifier in a different place. I have had the car for one year with 18K miles (and a thousand miles or so on the dealers loaners) with no other problem. My advice to anyone considering this car is to get the Bose radio.
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    The plastic (I assume it's plastic, doesn't seem to be leather) on the center console armrest is peeling off on top in my C320. When I scratch it even softly, the top layer comes off lake skin on a snake. It is only on top, not on the sides, so I assume it could be due to sun exposure through the sun roof. Has anyone else experienced that? Is there something to do about it? Is it a warranty problem?
    Yes, that is most certainly a warranty item, and no, it is most certainly not what one should expect. Get the dealer to do his job...
  • steffie2jcsteffie2jc Member Posts: 5
    I am about to purchase the C240 (with C2 package and automatic transmission, just got quoted for $2,000 below MSRP) and now am having doubts due to previous messages posted. I would like to keep this car for a long time, and relatively hassle free. The other car I was looking at was the Audi A4 3.0 CVT. I really loved the MB and had decided on it until reading about people upset with getting a lemon. Is this a common occurance? And do most recommend the Bose stereo, because I tried it out and wasn't that impressed so I was just going to keep the standard.
    Thanks!
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    Every carmaker builds lemons.

The head of Toyota said about 15 years ago that 2% of their cars coming off the assembly line are lemons.

The difference between a good carmaker like Toyota and a poor one is that the latter makes perhaps 10% lemons, or even more...

Mercedes-Benz is not as good as the Japanese at quality control, so they may make 4% lemons (just a guess). Audi, BMW and VW would probably be in the same range too.

NEVER allow information posted on the internet to affect your opinion of ANY car. There are lots of mischievous bits of (mis)information out there. I am not accusing anyone here of doing this, just highlighting the fact that anonymous, unverifiable testimonials are not useful.

Look instead to statistically significant sources such as ADAC Pannenstatistik (breakdown statistics), Consumer Reports (the C is still recommended) and JD Power reliability and initial quality stats.

If you like the car, buy one.
    404c you beat me to the punch.

Keep in mind that the C240 has been in service for nearly two years and the A4 is completely brand new including the drive train. Audi doesn't have a pristine record of introducing new technology. While it generally works well when it functions as intended Audi's often require some field experience before the reliability bugs are rung out. Having said that my guess is that the new A4 will likely be fine. To me the bottom line is there isn't a strong enough case for reliability one way or another to drive the decision. If it were me I would pick the one I liked better. They are both very nice excellent cars. I haven't driven the 3.0 CVT. How does the 3.0 CVT compare to the C240 driving wise.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >#5309 of 5315 Lemon? by mleskovar
    >#5314 of 5315 Lemons by 404c

For your positive approaches, good attitudes and solid information contained in your posts. Refreshing to read and much needed to balance out the posts filled with problems and anger. It is downright depressing and discouraging to read so many negative posts and they diminish the joy of ownership. My 2001 Obsidian C320 has been relatively free of problems also and a joy to drive. As far as service, the Obsidian was built for me as a replacement for a Black C320 that had some cosmetic problems with the paint -- however, it was not a lemon.

Miki
    ...for a calm and dispassionate look at what goes on in these boards, but more than that, there is nothing in the recent history of Audi that would make ME any more confident in one of their cars vs. a W203 C. As noted above, neither of these makers is in the same ballpark with the Japanese, but I sure don't see anything in Audi's record on this topic that would make me feel any more warm and toasty compared with MB.
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    So often we hear only the bad - after 2 years my 2000 C230 has been very reliable, though only 5000 miles on the VDO. My feeling is it will continue to be so and not fall into in the "4%" category. :-)

404c, would you happen to have a website address for ADAC Pannenstatistik that is in English?
    About the ADAC Pannenstatistik, I can't think of any source in English. Getting the (complete) statistics, even in German, is difficult unless you are a member of the ADAC car club. For example, if you go to their website (www.adac.de) you'll see that you need a membership number to see the current year's results (actually 2001).

I have found the ADAC Pannenstatistik quoted by secondary German sources (use a Google search), but the most recent year I've been able to get the stats for is 2000 (which in Europe was the first year for the W203). I expect to be able to see the 2001 numbers in this way shortly. Maybe I'll even try tonight!

Even if you don't read German, the stats are easy to understand - it just gives the number of vehicles per 1000 that broke down, for a certain cohort of model years (e.g. 1996 to 1999 models). For example, the best car in the 2000 stats was the Toyota Starlet, about 7 breakdowns per 1000 vehicles, if I remember rightly. It was amazing to see that the simple, small cars were far less likely to break down than the more complex, larger ones.
    Well, I've found the following, from another German Auto Club (Automobilclub von Deutschland). Go to the site and check out the models/numbers. In this case, the AvD lists a percentage of each model that breaks down, as opposed to the per thousand ADAC figure. Interestingly, the Toyota Starlet is the best car in this 2001 Pannenstatistik too.

http://www.weltzeituhr.com/reise/avd-pannenstatisti.shtml

• crankstercrankster Member Posts: 20
    Obviously many of you have issues with us "lucky" C owners that have had the pleasure of getting a DUD Mercedes. I suggest you all go to www.mbusa.com where you can all find the positive reinforcement you seem to need. The sad thing is that I really like(d) my C, and can completely accept the fact the occaisional "bad" car comes off the assembly line. What I can't accept is the "attitude", and failure of the entire MB organization in dealing with my vehicle.
    ...my experiences and reading do not suggest that buying an Audi will net you a better support network [between manufacturer and dealer] than MB...probably exactly the opposite.

You want a good buying and owning experience, you go to Lexus or Infinti. MB's rhetoric on this topic far exceeds their ability to deliver, and that applies to VW/Audi even more so. BMW is a little better, but not much.
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    It's been a while since I've posted anything on this board. However, I feel the recent "tone" requires me to speak out.

I've been a new 2001 C240 owner since last Easter. Yes, I've had a few minor issues that required a couple trips to the dealer. However, what new car doesn't when it rolls off the assembly line. I can't believe Lexus, which has recently been hailed the "prefect" car, doesn't have new car issues. When I drive by my local Lexus dealer on the way to and from work I don't see any of their service techs sunning themselves on lawn chairs while waiting to service new or used Lexus cars.

Let me say this, I love my car. The bonus, it's a Mercedes. Can you say that about a Lexus? No! It's not that I feel above anyone who drives anything else, it's just Mercedes is a company that has heritage. I feel honored to drive a Mercedes. Matter of fact, I don't normally tell people I drive a Mercedes. Why? Because I get comments like, "Oooooohhhhhh, you drive a Mercedes?" Yeah, so what. It's transportation to and from point a and b. I don't make a 7 figure income, but I found additional value and quality in the new C which to me is above the competition. Anyone who has taken a ride in my car always comments on how smooth, quite and solid the car feels. They like the exterior and interior styling. Inside the look is sophisticated and well refined. From the seats to the knobs and finishes. Personally, the interiors of Japanese luxury cars look sterile, plastic and big round knobs everywhere you look.

I could go on and on....but, I won't. If you have a question regarding your car or would like to chat about your new or used Mercedes, please post within this community. If your coming here to bash Mercedes, or the C class....GO AWAY!
    If you want to see a nice interior go sit in a new Lexus ES300. It's hardly what I would call sterile.
    I humbly suggest you need to take a breath. No one is a bigger fan of Mercedes, has owned more of them, or appreciates and understands the "heritage" more than I do - certainly not anyone who contributes regularly to this board.

I've searched above for anything that resembles "MB bashing", and am hard-pressed to see what seems to have upset you so. The fact is that these guys [Daimler-Benz AG] have not been at the top of their game recently - I know, because I have been part of the game for 35 years. I have recommended and will continue to recommend their products to people who ask, but they have not been paying enough attention to launch quality issues in the past few years.

I hope you have become a member of MBCA - they could use enthusiasts like yourself. If you were a member of the Club, you would note other members, MB enthusiasts all, who are very objective about where this company stands right now vs some of the competition. There is work to be done, and even Herr Schrempp agrees.

Since the question came up originally in connection with a comparison with Audi, I will repeat: none of the Germans sets the standards these days for either quality control or total customer support - BMW comes closest. None of this changes my appreciation for what DB does or will do in the future...it just means they need to improve to justify the lofty prices the car demands in the marketplace. [Ironically, the least expensive car, the C-Coupe, is probably the best value precisely because it delivers at a price-point that the competition simply cannot match. But once you spend $40k on a C320, you are in a different ball game.]
    404c,

Thanks for the link. Interesting to see actual breakdown stats online, even if only for autos delivered in Europe.

I guess this gives me one more reason for learning German! :-)

- Paul
  • sujasuja Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from having a chat with my service rep and MB factory rep about my 2002 C240 which is 6 months old and has 3500 miles on it. Since March, the car has been in the shop 3 times, with the 4th coming up this week. There have been problems with the purge valve, ABS and the climate control. To paraphrase the response I received - 'Tough!'. What they basically said is that some cars break down more than they should, and that's what the warranty is there for. The response from MB customer support has been exactly the same.

Although time is at a premium, and I'd really rather not make trips to the dealership on a biweekly basis, it would not have been so bad if the service folks were not so unresponsive and arrogant. They don't care, and they make no bones about letting you know that they don't care. Given that these folks have no idea what customer satisfaction means, and I am more than happy to take my business elsewhere. I must say that this is by far the worst car experience I've had so far, although all my previous cars have been lower end models.
    I am sorry to hear of your experience with your car. It can happen - several repairs I had on my 1995 C-Class were not performed to my satisfaction (or made other things worse) and due to time constraints I could not get them taken care of fully.

Overall I was fotunate enough that the car was relatively trouble-free to 40k - but things like having to repaint the hood and trunk deck lid under warranty actually lowered the value of the car at trade-in time. Given the alternatives though, I decided on trading for a Y2K C-Class because I enjoyed the solidness of the car and of its operation. I hope your next auto does not provide you so many problems!

If you don't mind my suggesting so, you may want to check out Toyotas. My second vehicle, a '95 basic pickup, is approaching 150k with no mechanical problems - other than a leaking water pump at 121k. This I replaced myself in about 3 hours for $25 or so dollars. The truck has no gadgets except for basic A/C and power steering/brakes, so perhaps this contributes to its reliability record.
  • hinesehinese Member Posts: 2
    I've never bought a used car before...always been a little weary, thinking "why did someone else not want this car?" What should I be looking for? Advice? Opinions? I'm going to look at a 2001 SLK320 with 17,000 miles today at a dealer.

Thanks!
  • samuel70samuel70 Member Posts: 17
    Steffie2jc...your post was perfect in timing...Yesterday 4/15...I took my wife out to test drive some cars...she drove an Audi A4 3.0, and the MB C240....she fell in love the C240...I drove both also...I am leaning toward the MB...Lease price is equal....so it comes down to reliability....I am curious to find out what your decision was or if still pending...what your leaning to....We live in CT, so the Quattro, has a distinct advantage, but I have a rwd volvo and have never really had any problems....This will be a toss up...intersted to hear from others....
  • hinesehinese Member Posts: 2
    I've never bought a used car before...always been a little weary, thinking "why did someone else not want this car?" What should I be looking for? Advice? Opinions? I'm going to look at a 2001 SLK320 with 17,000 miles today at a dealer.

Thanks!
    You are right to be wary of used cars - there are more pitfalls in buying one than there are with buying new cars. If buying from a dealer, be sure to get a full service and warranty history, and a guarantee that the car's not been in a collision or repainted. If all these check out, get the extended factory warranty (if it's an M-B dealer you're at) and you should be fine. Otherwise, I'd tread carefully.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    While there might be reasons for someone getting rid of a car, the majority of used cars on the lot these days are lease returns. The lease is up, the person trades it in for a new car and another 36-48 month lease. Although a 2001 car is probably not a lease return. But there could still be many legit reasons it ended up on the lot. The car might have been too small or the owner may have more money than any of us can imagine and simply tired of the car. You just never know. My father-in-law once traded a 6 week old Lincon SUV for a Caddie SUV because he just decided he liked the caddie better.

If you are looking at it on the MB dealer lot, is it certified? If so, your risk is less. If it is not a certified car, do you have a mechanic that is competent to check out an MB and render an opinion about the car? Can you get a warranty? Having owned 3 MBs over the years and experiencing the higher cost of repairs, an extended warranty is not a bad idea.
  • flufferfluffer Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2002 C240 in February. The only complaint I have so far is a "tapping" sound that is noticeable when the radio is off and the car is idling. It cannot be heard from the outside - just the inside of the car. Anyway, I took it back to the MB dealer, and the service manager said it was the purge valve. Mine seems to be noiser than usual. I have requested that he order another one and replace it to see if it will be quieter although he says it may not. He said another new customer called that same morning with the same complaint. He says this does affect the performance of car in any way. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, was it resolved?
    Yes, I had almost the same problem. It was fixed by replacing the purge valve mounting bracket pn 001-995-56-65. However, I could hear it from outside the car as well.
  • neild2neild2 Member Posts: 1
    I have placed an order for the year 2003 c240 model (Classic model for the Canadian market) and expected to receive it this August or September. I was wondering if there will be any changes in comparisons to the year 2002 model.

Thanks Neil.
    Go to the C230 board - there was a discussion there within the last month that details most of the changes that can be expected.

For the 6 cyl C sedans, probably the one thing that will reasonate most with North American buyers is that a single disc CD player will replace the cassette as standard equipment [the changer will continue to be an option, but less expensive].
  • afmbguyafmbguy Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I also had the same problem in my C320. It was fixed by replacing the purge valve mounting bracket. According to the MB mechanics, a screw is missing during assembly. He said I was not the first one to report it. He seemed knowing what he was doing. It might be a factory quality control issue. Since than the noise was greatly reduced. I have to really listen to it to hear the tapping noise. Besides it, my C320 is a beautiful car and so far problem free after a year. I love my C320.
  • dlockleydlockley Member Posts: 1
    I wish I had read these comments here before I bought my '02 C320. I must admit that I love the way the car looks and performs, but the annoying problems like Tele-Aid, ESP modules being replaced; side-view mirror "floating"; gas gauge misreading; and trouble with the leather seats. I've taken it back to the shop today and would like some advice. This is the second time I've had it in for the ESP warning and the leather seat. The leather seat is discolored, sort of white spots on the side. These spots are dry and hard. The dealer applyed some leather conditioner on it which covered the sploches. But after a month, when the conditioner drys up, the spots reappear. I do not want to keep covering up defects with conditioner, I want the seat replaced. I have the sport package, which was a $2200 option that included leather seats. Now the dealer does not want to replace the seat. Who do I talk with next about this problem? Any ideas or information will be most appreciated!
    Start with the General Manager of the selling dealership. Set up an appointment and lay out your problems and proposed solution. If he/she refuses to satisfy you, ask to speak to the Regional Rep from MBUSA. Refer to your warranty book for instructions on bumping problems up the chain from the dealership for instructions.

It's important to be very persistent, but also to remain rational, calm, and reasonable. You sound like you have a reasonable request [a recovered seat]...some people start by demanding a new car, and the transaction goes downhill from there...and I would be surprised if this can't be resolved to everyone's satisfaction once the right people are involved.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >Who do I talk with next about this problem? Any >ideas or information will be most appreciated!
    >
    I had problems with my C320 2001. After running around in frustrating and aggravating circles and getting nowhere with the dealership's customer service manager, I did not want to bother with the owner. I went directly to the MB regional Parts and Operation Manager in my area. He worked with the dealership's owner and together they came up with a very satisfactory solution.

I E-mailed and sent a FAX to MB customer service in New Jersey, using the name and address that was on the Customer Satisfaction Survey sent to new car owners and which is also on the MB website. I recd a quick response as to when I could meet with their regional rep. You can also request to meet with an MB rep by asking your service department manager. They can tell you when he will next be at their dealership. I preferred putting things in writing for the record, and going through the main office, however, and taking some control, rather than to leave it to my local service to set it up.

Miki
  • afmbguyafmbguy Member Posts: 19
    I remembered there were Mad-Cow decease in Europe not long ago. They might treat leather with special treatment for precaution. They might overdone it in some spot. That was one of the reason a limited and delayed leather option for 2002 C230 coupe in the beginning. I still think you have a good case for a new seat. Please document all your repairs for the basic requirement of the lemon law within a year or certain mileage, like at lease 2, 3 or 4 time in a repair shop depending on different state.
    Just had 1st B service done at 23.7K miles. Didn't have any problems to get fixed at the same time. They changed wiper inserts, dust filter, oil filter, and oil. A whole list of things they checked ...fluids, brakes, AC, tires, belts, etc. etc. and actually measured and reported the rotor thickness. Didn't cost anything but there was an estimate posted on the paperwork of 307.95. Being in So. Ca. I bet the wipers weren't used more than three hours total in the past year, but they changed them anyway.
  • hocky1hocky1 Member Posts: 13
    I have just bought a used Merc C180 of 1994 and it is in very good almost showroom condition except for a few scratches and stone chips on the front and sides. The engine runs well, lacks power due to the low cc's , but I have a couple of problems. The sunroof/moon roof does not tilt up when the switch is activated. It does move backwards and forwards though. Also it does not come back to its closed position properly, moving slowly with a struggling noise and I am afraid it will leak in heavy rain. The passenger rearview mirror was hit by a passing motor bike(slow hit) and got away. The mirror is quite ok with a small patch missing, but the plastic moulding is damaged and the vertical piece next to the door id gone. What can I do about these? The elect. mirror still works. Has anyone got any cheap used mirror sets(complete} for sale?
  • wwh11wwh11 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, folks,

I am debating whether to get a MB C320 or a Lexus ES300. I like the safety feature of the C320, but don't like the price tag (dealer told me $41,700 with the CD installed). I like the luxury of Lexus ES300 and its price tag (around $35,500), but is a little concerned about its safety feature (although it is great compare to most others).

Does anyone have an experience of shopping and comparing C320 and Lexus ES300? What is the reasonable price to pay for a C320 in upstate NY?

Your information will make my decision much easier. Thanks in advance.
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Member Posts: 31
    I have been a MBZ owner for 20 years and came close to purchasing a C320 which is a beautiful car. However, I was bothered that the price was so high after adding things like leather, CD etc. Cost over 40K plus the fact that my sister bought a C240 and although likes it, finds it lacks power particularly with the AC on. So I test drove the G-35 and the ES 300 and fell in love the the Lexus. I is a great car and extremely reliable and for $36K I will get the Nav and Mark Levinson sound system plus VSC. Hard to beat although I had my heart set on the C 320 for a long time.

Hope this helps.
    I picked up this used Merc C180 recently, but found the battery dead after a few days. Opened the boot and found what looks like a brand new battery. I tried to recharge it (in-car) with one of those portable chargers for 6/12volts and used 12volts to recharge. Everything was ok until I noticed "water" coming out from under the car. It smelt like acid!. Apparently the acid was overflowing from the battery out from the negative and positive pole points between the metal bits which stick out from inside and the surrounding nylon/plastic case. Is this common? Why should this happen? The acid now will have to be washed out or my boot base will be eaten away and battery will fall out! Looks like its due for replacement!
  • edarteedarte Member Posts: 41
    At least in North America, those battery charges have a switch to either charge the battery quickly or slowly (trickle charge - which is the preferred setting if you have the time) in addition to the 6/12 volt setting. If it is set to charge quickly it is common for the solution (i.e. acid) to bubble and it could come out. It bubbles even on a trickle charge but not as much.

If you do have acid solution in the car be very very careful to get it washed out. If it has soaked into any fabric/ material it may look ok right now but in a day or so it will shows signs of being eaten away. Flush the area with water as much as is feasible.

Older batteries had caps on each cell and these should be taken off for recharging but make sure they are replaced prior to installation.

If there are no caps (or other means of venting gas) during charge I am not sure what you can do and I would advise consulting with someone who knows the proper technique. Be careful as there is the potential for a battery to explode while charging if it is not vented properly.
  • steffie2jcsteffie2jc Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to all of those who responded with valuable advice. This past Saturday I picked up my new C240 and so far so good. (A while ago I posted a message asking for help deciding between Audi 3.0 and C240)
    Samueal70- I decided on the mercedes over the Audi simply because I liked it better. As many have pointed out reliability is about equal when comparing the two. After doing tons of research, I had to really think about what I preferred. I liked the mercedes, so that is what I bought. However, I have a good friend who just bought the Audi 3.0 quattro, we just have different preferences.
  • semerrilsemerril Member Posts: 12
    OK, here's the opinion of a 1.5 year C240 owner who's logged 23K miles. I've found the C to have plenty of power...how fast are you going to drive, anyways? I'm sure it will hit 100+ with ease (but like me, you're probably too smart to do that). It looks great, is comfortable for long trips, and has decent room in the back. Build quality, however, is a little less than I expected...I know my service dept. better than I thought I would. The reputation of the Lexus is outstanding, but my main complaint is this...who wants to pay $35K for a gussied-up family Camry? From day 1, regardless of the style du jour, it's got the same lines, front, and rear of the Camry. And while Camrys are well built cars, they've become synonymous with boring and ordinary. So if you're gonna go Lexus, you've got to move up, and then you're looking at C320 to E-Class prices, and a whole new ballgame. Makes the C240 seem like a good value to me.
    Thank you edarte for your valuable advice regarding battery care and recharging. I should have known better. I should have taken it out of the boot and done it on the garage floor. Now I have bought a brand new one and will have it installed after cleaning the base of the boot. There is an escape hole and rubber tube from the top side of the battery which goes through the floor in case the water-acid level is too high or ride is too bumpy. The top screw-nuts do not have any holes. Battery cost me A$120 new.
This discussion has been closed.