Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    I just found out that MB will discontinue the 4 year extended warranty after April 30, and increase prices of the shorter plans. I saw it on the E-class bulletin board, and just called my dealer who confirmed it. So, it's time to buy the extended warranty before it's too late. I'm in the process of buying now.
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Just a reminder - if you are putting a battery on a cement floor you need to use some other surface, like a piece of wood, for the battery to rest on. I heard many years ago that if a battery sits directly on concrete, it will discharge over time.

Could someone please confirm or deny - I do not know the mechanics behind this, and want to make sure I'm giving correct info.

- Paul
  • dvancaodvancao Member Posts: 13
    It does NOT matter what kind of surface the battery is on. Batteries slowly loose its charge over time, more so in cold temps. That’s why it needs to be recharged.

Dat.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    Thank you for posting re the discontinuation of the extended 4-year warranty April 30. Although I purchased my warranty from Courtesy some time ago, I forwarded the information to several friends who recently purchased a Mercedes.

Miki
  • crankstercrankster Member Posts: 20
    Old pre-1970s batteries had hard rubber cases that would cause them to lose their charge if left on a damp concrete floor. Today's plastic-cased batteries aren't affected.
  • ramzakramzak Member Posts: 9
    I have been researching the Acura TL, Infinity IS, MBZ C-320, Lexus ES300. I really like the C-320, looks great and drove very nice and quiet. Also my brother-in-law works for Freightliner, which is owned by MBZ. I could buy any model for 11.9% under invoice. That is $34232, less than the Lexus ES300 with all options plus Nav. But I still could not shake how comfortable and quiet the ride with the ES300. The other thing that stopped me was the complaints that many C-320 owners have with all the small problems, which never get fixed by the dealer or have to be brought in many times. I don't see these complaints with the Lexus. The Lexus ES300 is the same platform as the Camry, but thats where it stops. Same as the difference between the Chevy and the Cadillac.
    I know it is ONLY my opinion, but thanks for the opportunity to share.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    The German auto club ADAC has released its breakdown statistics for 2001. The reliability is expressed as the number of breakdowns per 1000 vehicles.

Check it out:

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/werkstatt/0,1518,grossbild-179773-193601,00.html

The C Class is more reliable than the BMW 3 Series, though both are in the light green "good" zone.

• mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    So, you bought the C, right? At a deal like that you could sell it for more in two years than you paid for it.
  • hocky1hocky1 Member Posts: 13
    To all the guys who answered my call regarding the leaking battery in my C 180, thanks very much. At least when I post here, I get answers, when I post to the 2000 and earlier discussion, nobody replies! I have successfully removed the old one and found some rust under and had this scraped off and treated with rust busters and converters. Having done this, I put in the new battery and connected it together. Guess what? The radio system went and I do not know how to re-activate although I have the code. Please someone out there tell me how to key in this code as the sound came on only for 5 minutes twice and went off altogether. The first indication of failure or protection was one dash like " - " on the LCD display. Now there is a 3 dash like " - - - " on the LCD display. Does this mean the 3rd failed attempt? My car is a C180 1994 model with car radio/ cassette/ cd disc changer with the Mercedes Benz label on it.
  • lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    Tonight when I started the car, it gave me a malfunction message "Tail light, R". I checked the tail lights, both were dead. The small substitute lights were on. Anyone have same problem? My question is, the massage is about rigth light, why both tail lights were out?

It was 11:00pm, I had to drive home via high way, I called the road side assistant, they refused to come out and replace the bulbs.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    Eighteen months, 14,000 miles and all's well! Still look forward to driving my C320...

Tom
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    It was 11:00pm, I had to drive home via high way, I called the road side assistant, they refused to come out and replace the bulbs.

No kidding, huh? What a bunch of knerds, maybe you should get a Toyota...

Tarik
    >It was 11:00pm, I had to drive home via high >way, I called the road side assistant, they >refused to come out and replace the bulbs

For my own information, are you still covered by Tele Aid? There is some conflict of coverage in my mind -- When I purchased my C320 2001 05/31/01, I was told that Road Assistance was free for as long as I had my car. As I go to renew and also review the Tele Aid benefits, Road Assistance is listed as a benefit -- this does not make it free.

Miki
  • semerrilsemerril Member Posts: 12
    I, too, had the tail lights go out, starting with the right side. Mine were replaced when I had the 20,000 mi. service done. I actually thought it was pretty neat that there were reserve bulbs in place to take over if one went out. On the negative side, I've had my car a year and a half and have had front, rear, visor, and glove box light failures, a seemingly systemic problem I didn't expect with MB. On the refusal of roadside assistance to come out and replace the your rear bulbs, my guess is that they wouldn't consider that an emergency (since the backup bulbs were in service), and that you could have it serviced by your dealer at your convenience.
  • jelecroyjelecroy Member Posts: 6
    Road-side assistance is available as long as you own your car. The only thing you lose if you don't renew TeleAid is that you'll have to call MB-RSA (1-800-for-merc) on the phone, instead of just pushing the button in the console.

I just received renewal notice on TeleAid - they'll charge my credit card $240 to renew if I don't call to cancel coverage. I probably won't renew. I did use TeleAid twice last year, once when my car quit on the interstate, and once to ask for directions. The person who answered the second call was reasonably helpful, and apologized when he couldn't figure our where I was, and had to get a GPS fix uplinked. Apparently teleaid charges a separate fee (in addition to air time) if they use the GPS location feature. I never read that in the service description.
    I did notice in my Tele-aid service agreeement that there was an additional charge for directions - interesting to hear that was due to their using a GPS. I did not remew my tele-aid after the first year, since imho the benefit was minimal in relation to the significant cost.
    >Road-side assistance is available as long as you own your car. The only thing you lose if you don't renew TeleAid is that you'll have to call MB-RSA (1-800-for-merc) on the phone, instead of just pushing the button in the console.

jelecroy -- thank you for the information. I did renew my Tele Aid and will continue to do so as a "just in case" :) I had very good immediate results when I used their Roadside Assistance in the wee small hours of the morning for on-site help and for directions -- fortunately they knew where I was -- I would not be a happy camper if they could not locate me either -- particularly if I could not locate me. I paid just the $2.95 air time for directions and the emergency service. (Locked my purse in trunk for valet parking. First time I used the key, and it would not open the trunk when I arrived home and needed the house key from the locked trunk. A tech came in 15 minutes -- he finally got it open but a new tumbler was ordered the next day.)

I am wondering if there is any difference in their service attitude if you do not subscribe to Tele Aid as far as response time, Etc.

Miki
  • mbgambga Member Posts: 11
    A friend and I have fairly new C's, 6000 and 4600 miles, respectively. We wondered if we were supposed to wait until the 10,000 mile service before rotating. I'm used to front drive cars and rotating at 7500.

Assuming proper inflation, what is the prevailing wisdom on when to rotate on rear drive cars? A quick review of the owner's manual gave no recommendation, other than the wear signs (shoulders on front wheels and center on rear). Thanks.
  • tlam625tlam625 Member Posts: 13
    The side corners of the FRONT tires wear out more rapidly than the REAR. (wheel turns)

When you compare and see the corners of the front are significantly rounder than
    the rear, it is time to rotate.
    Depends on your driving conditions...lots of city or highway? More city wears out the front quicker unless you constantly jack rabbit start. I rotate every 5K miles and it seems to work for me. Even wear all the way to the end of life. However, the 320 is my first rear wheel drive in a long time and it seems the tires are wearing evenly anyway (I still rotate).
    mleskovar - I am with you -- My tire place suggests rotating every 5K on my 320. This is where I have my road hazard insurance and they do not charge.

Miki
  • pexplpexpl Member Posts: 18
    I love my car!!!
    Is a safe car, it saves me from a car accident, and i love it so much!!!
    But i didn't noticed that now you had to pay for the first mainteance fee?!!!
    I never had to paid the mainteance fee, for over 10 benz i've owned, in the past ten years. I love benz but what happened? I am mad that no one notify me in advance for the $600 bill... that surprise me!
    In addition service center for repairing benz nowaday is outrageous, too much cars need fixing, and appoiment service is getting longer and longer...
    I guess Mb should consider building larger service center in the dealers of Vancouver.
    Mb is losing their reputation of providing good service...
    all in all benz made the best car in the world!Afterall
  • wcl6wcl6 Member Posts: 2
    pexpl, I really wish I could enjoy our brand new C320 like you do.

My wife and I purchased our brand new 2002 C320 in late January 2002. Everything was great until March when the engine suddenly died while we were driving on the freeway. At the time, the car only had about 1400 miles. The car was in the dealer for 5 days. A faulty fuel pump was found and replaced. Two days later on my way home from work, the engine suddenly died again while I was driving on the left most lane on the freeway. After a few scary lane changes, I was able to let the car roll itself to the right shoulder. Thank God that no body got hurt in these two incidents. This time, the car was towed to a different dealership where they kept the car for about 10 days. The dealer replaced ignition switch, keys, engine control module, and fuel tank sensor. Fearing for our safety, we requested the car to be replaced. The regional manager denied our request telling us that "they are in the business of selling and fixing cars, not replacing cars." He then assured us that the car is fixed.
    Just two weeks ago, I experienced intermittent problem with my ignition. The car wouldn't start at times. Also, there was intermittent ESP and BA warnings. So the car was back to the dealer again. The car had almost 1900 miles when it was brought in on a Friday. Six days later when I got the car back, I was shocked to see the odometer reading of more than 2600 miles. (750 miles to fix an ignition problem??) This time, they replaced the entire transmission, ring gear(which is attached to the transmission), engine starter, and brake sensor.
    I have never spent so much time dealing and worrying about a car before. This is definitely not what we expected after spending $40K+ on a brand new Mercedes. I am just wondering if any one had the same experience? Or am I just happened to be one of those unlucky Mercedes owners.
    Hopefully after all these part replacements, the car will be trouble free because I am really tired of dealing with its problems.
    We really want to enjoy this car. It is a beautiful car. But so far, our experience is just no where near "pleasant"..
  • deedgedeedge Member Posts: 1
    Your post may have well have been my own. We took delivery of our C240 in Jan '02 and have had the exact 3 incidents you have, wcl6! This morning my husband called from his car phone saying "guess where I'm going?" while on his way back to the dealer for the 3rd time. First two were exactly like yours, this one was the BA and ESP warning. Ironically with the first fix, they said they'd give him "somthing reliable" to drive while this was fixed. What was it? A Nissan Altima. Maybe we should save $20k and get one of those instead! Is this common? Should we be worried? 3 times in 5K miles seems ridiculous to me.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    It is ridiculous.
  • cambridge3cambridge3 Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a C320 back in Nov 2001. Thus far after 8000 miles...no problems at all. After reading about all the problems others are having, I just wanted others to know that I love this car. Traded in an 2000 Acura TL Nav for this benz and no regrets on my end.

check out my car photo gallery if you want.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~rfcdmd/merc/FrameSet.htm

• wcl6wcl6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, deedge. Good to know I am not alone.
  • pexplpexpl Member Posts: 18
    Sad to heard about your benz i guess sometimes they do make some mistakes.
    I heard benz problem before @ my local news stations and magazines editorial, but it seem their cars quality and services is also getting worse, any people feel the same way?
    Although my car is perfectly good, it saves me ...

does it have to do with the new c-class plant in Africa. Just maybe the quality control aren't as good. (not being racist)
    Where did we got out C-class from anyway Germany or Africa?
    Hope benz can be the benz i am always expecting it to be=)
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    wcI6, deedge: Sorry to hear about your problems, but the QA/QC system might have failed somewhere in your case. Not a typical merc characteristic and you deserve replacement cars!

pexpl: Isn't merc also built in South America? Why do you think the faulty cars may be from Africa?

cambridge3: Nice photos. We bought our C240 in March 01' with same colors (white exterior and gray interior) and so far we have not had any problems except for a whizzing noise on the driver's side window. At 3600 miles (we use it only over the weekends and for church), it has been a great car.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...has nothing to do with the kinds of problems being described here. MB's problem is that they are not adequately testing subcontractor's parts as they used to, and too many of the mistakes are being fixed in the field instead of in the lab or factory. These parts are usually sourced from the same contractors [Bosch, Siemens, etc.] regardless of where final assembly takes place.

Second, the factory in South Africa is making cars [to my knowledge] only for right-hand-drive markets. There are some Brazilian cars that are coming our way...these are assembled in Brazil from knock-down kits, which again means that all of the subassemblies, including those troublesome electronics, are German-made and just as likely [or unlikely] to be defective in a car from Bremen or Sindelfingen.

Assembly quality, per se, is not, nor has it ever been, the source of most of the problems being described with the new C [or the A, or the ML, or, or, or...]. Thus, where the car is screwed together should be the least of your potential worries. Worry more about why this company can't get its act together with its parts suppliers in a way that has been routine with the Japanese for 30 years.
  • sargent4sargent4 Member Posts: 17
    My Car is almost 13 months and this Monday getting A service hopefully for free. I went from a GS300 Lexus to the C320 and initially did not like the smaller size. Also, I had the key problems. That is the only problem I have had and love this car - it has much more power than the GS and the looks are great.
    As far as renewing Teleaid I gave it a lot of thought. I was told that Teleaid clients go to the front of the queue for roadside assistance. Also, on a dark night with just my dog the red engine light came on and after hitting button this voice from heaven entered the car. My dog and I got a good feeling. Also, two weeks before renewal, I also locked my purse with key in trunk and had cell phone. Car was opened in 5 minutes/ Yes, I figure I waste so much money this $240 is an insurance policy for me.

I am going to have my tires rotated Monday. Guess I should have had them done sooner but only have 9400 miles so hope it is okay.

Yes, I do love my silver C320!!!!

Connie Alias Sarg.
    You wrote that you only had one problem (keys) but then you mention another (check engine light). So did you actually have two problems, or were the 2 issues related?
  • mofo01mofo01 Member Posts: 7
    I have my C240 for 1 year and 3 months with 30000 miles (long commute to work). I love the car with a few minor problems:

-CD Fiber Cable replaced after two weeks of owning the car
    -Right Headlight assembly replaced at 15000 (signal stop working intermittent)
    -I think I'm getting the same problem with my left headlight. I will take it to the dealer this weekend to have them check it out.
    -Rear sunshade motor replaced @ 6000 miles
    -New set of tires @ 20000 miles (uneven wear)..although I rotated them every 5000 miles
    -Still feel a light vibration @ 40mph when parked for a long period of time...disappear after 15 or 20 minutes of driving.
    -Purge Valve replaced @ 10000 miles (noise from engine compartment)

I was wondering if anyone have the same problem...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    As we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I tried the TCO and it didn't work. After entering my zip code nothing happens.

Is it my computer or have others reported this problem?

Thanks for your help.
  • sargent4sargent4 Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    Yes the red light came on while I was returning home Thanksgiving night. Teleaid guy said it was fine to drive home and probably nothing or else something to do with Emissions. Called dealer next morning (Prestige in NJ) and they said probably the gas cap not on right. Also, said to put gas cap back on and light would go out in less than a week. I made an appointment as I did not believe this - posted here and someone else said probably gas cap. Well it went out in a few days so haven't considered it a problem.
    Don't get me wrong 404 (how do you reply on these boards), I was furious with the Key problem - also think week or so the sun roof would not close. Now they are distant memories but should never have happened. I had two Lexus GS 300's before this and never had to return to dealer for a problem. However, not (knock on wood) a year later, I enjoy this car so much - it is a lease and may return to Lexus at the end but am enjoying the fun now.
    Connie/Sarg
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I haven't had any trouble using it at all.

If this continues, I suggest you access the feedback page from the "Help" choice at the top (or bottom) of this screen, and all Edmunds.com pages. Report exactly what you filled in to each block and any error messages or non-error messages (which you seem to be saying) that occur. Also tell them what browser and what version you are using.

I have discovered (and reported) that Netscape 4.7x does not show you the entire display - information to the right is cut off. IE 5.5 shows you everything. Dunno about other versions of either browser or any other browser.

Please do report this - I know the Edmunds.com folks want to make this a success.

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • bobbyrabbobbyrab Member Posts: 14
    I have had my C320 Sports Sedan version since October 2001 and the car has been virtually flawless except for a few rattles and a built quality that I feel is a notch below my old '98 E320. Last night, after filling up at the gas station, I could not, for the life of me, screw the gas cap back on! After 15 minutes of trying and the attendant trying, I called Telaid. The courteous agent immediately told me that the cap had become unaligned and that all I had to do was realign the white plastic ring inside the cap by rotating it. Voila! Gas cap twisted right back on, and I was on my way. So, if this silly event ever happens to you, you will know what to do!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Sounds like a stupid design. What should be simpler that putting a gas cap back on.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    I had my left headlight assembly replaced over the weekend. Turns out it wasn't the bulb that was out but a broken ground pin. Sounds like the bumper had to be removed to complete the job. Although it was repaired under warranty, I found out the headlight assembly costs over $900 and labor was close to $200.

My fuel purge valve was replaced earlier for the same reason you mentioned. Interestingly enough, the loaner C320 wagon I was given also had the purge valve noise and didn't quite seem to have the same pick up as my sedan. Maybe I am just biased towards my car. With a year of ownership coming up on 6/2, I must say it's been a wonderful driving experience.
    Could be why MB has apparently discontinued their extended warranty program (as seen in previous posts).

- Paul
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    Has Mercedes really cancelled their extended warranty program?
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    No, as far as I know only the 4 year extended warrenty. Maximum is now 3 years.
    Sorry, from the other posts I read I thought they had cancelled it.

Perhaps the paring down to three years is due to a re-evaluation of projected repair costs.

- Paul
  • drive2bfreedrive2bfree Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the 2002 C230 with C2/C4/Auto to C5/C7/Auto and loved them both. It wasn't as fast as I had hoped, but definitely was zippy. The engine noise was not as bad as others made it out to be. I LOVE THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!
    Unfortunately, there were some disappontments:
    1. Sorry, but, I love the front but the back reminds me of a cheap Ford Pinto!
    2. Found out the engine will be smaller (1.8)and I read it is not as fast going 0-60 (passing power).
    3. Felt too cramped and the leather upholstery was definitely too thin (I could feel the springs - and I'm a skinny SOB ).
    4. I can live without the CD, but...I wish it had one.
    5. MB discontinued the LIFETIME roadside assistance (it is now 4 or 5 years or 50K miles)
    6. I think MB is slowly sabotaging this car which is sad.

In conclusion: I wish I could have one, sadly, the name alone cannot justify this purchase which is what got me to look at it in the first place. I love hatchbacks (I owned 2 Mitsu 3000 GT SL/VR4). This would've been my 20th and perhaps last car to purchase, but the rear end looks ugly and its' slowly degrading "features" has chipped away my enthusiasm.
    1) not everyone likes the rear styling of the C 230 K - I didn't at first either - but there is stylistic integrity to it if you look carefully. Still, if you don't like it, that's OK. There are plenty cars out there that are not as good-looking from the rear, believe it or not. Your comparison of the C Coupé to a "cheap Ford Pinto" is interesting - I've never heard of an expensive Ford Pinto ;-)

2) 0-60 MPH is not a good measure of "passing power". For the record, Mercedes-Benz rates the 1.8 Litre C 230 K 0-100 km/h time at 8.1 seconds, only 0.1 seconds slower than the 2.3 litre C 230 K. 0.1 seconds is not a difference that anyone would "feel", or even notice, unless they have a stopwatch. For passing power, in-gear acceleration figures such as 40-70 MPH would be a better measure. So far I've not seen a comparison between the 1.8 and 2.3 in such a test.

3) Feeling cramped in the car is strange. I'm 6'3" and it is definitely not cramped to me, front or rear (well, excepting tight headroom in the back). Perhaps a short person with the driver's seat adjusted far forward might get that feeling, due to the car's passive knee restraints being closer. I can't help you with the seats - maybe you could gain a little weight? Mercedes-Benz seats have always seemed hard, but they are also pretty good. I'm surprised that you could feel springs, as the seat cushion is made entirely of foam.

4) 2003 models will likely have the in-dash CD player. If not, you can buy one on Ebay for about 160-200 Euros - cheap!

5) If roadside assistance after the car is out of warranty is THAT important to you, get a CAA or AAA gold membership. It's cheap!

6) I don't see what you mean by M-B "slowly sabotaging this car"...do you mean they're doing this by fitting a newer, smaller engine to it? Please elaborate.
  • drive2bfreedrive2bfree Member Posts: 2
    Rest assured, my 2 cents worth was definitely not intended to bash MB. If nothing else, I wish I could afford their high-end vehicles like my cousins drive. However, there is a pix in Edmunds of a C230 with it's side view. Take a piece of paper and cover the spoiler and rear at an angle (ie \) and dammit all, it looks like a PINTO! Still, it is better looking than the BMW 318 I passed last night (no, I am not bashing BMW, either). I drive extrememly fast regardless of where I am and I like some oomph in the car. I was not able to accelerate as much as I had wanted to test driving the car (I scared the bejesus out of the salesperson), but for a brief moment it hesitated when I "punched" it. It's hard to explain, perhaps it is just me since it took awahile to get used to the ergonomics of the interior. I do love that instrument panel! Anyway, when I say "sabotaging", I meant it this way - anyone can buy any car they want (duh, right?), but what sells me are the little things. Afterall, a car is a car, have engine, tires, gas, and go. It's the service and warranties and freebies that I look for. Free maintenance is nice, especially for a MB (from what I have heard). The lifetime roadside was cool too since I don't know any dealer that offer such things (my longest was one year which was a tremendous benefit then); and I belong to AAA and they SUCK (them I am bashing)! I could get deeper, but I don't want to appear philosophical about it. You did hit it right, it's just an opinion, for better or worse. I hope everyone who bought the C230 enjoys it and who gives a damn what this a**hole has to say anyway, right? One last thing, the leather is too thin...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Just completed a 2551 mile road trip....nice experience
    ...averaged 54 mph and 28.2 mpg for the trip which included three days
    of driving around the city in Portland and some very twisty roads over
    mountain passes to and from the coast in Oregon and California. The
    car performed beautifully and really surprised me in the mountains. No
    lack of power at any time and great cornering, even with the stock
    Continentals. Definitely a "Sports Sedan" ride and feel.
  • jayanth_jjayanth_j Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a new MB C230 Hatchback Coupe. I live in St. Louis and sometimes we could have bad snowfalls.
    One reason that is holding me back is the rear-wheel drive on the C230.Is it not safe to drive a rear-wheel drive car when there is snow. Please clear my doubts.
This discussion has been closed.