Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cincinnatus11cincinnatus11 Member Posts: 3
    Bought '04 Sienna CE with AI package at $500 over invoice (2%) in SE NC. Went in with financing agreeing to order from manufacture and wait.

Dealer 1 - ask for invoice. Won't budge from MSRP. Says won't get one anywhere for less than MSRP.

Dealer 2 - will come 300/500 off MSRP

Dealer 3 - will split difference between MSRP and invoice.

Dealer 4 (about 2 hours away) - will go to $500 over invoice.

Dealer 5 - ask if they will beat dealer 4. States that he won't even entertain the discussion.

Dealer 1 - calls back, asks if maybe we can reach a deal. Relish telling him I already purchased one at $500 over.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    cincinnatus11 - Sounds like a good deal. I am shopping for different trim, LE 8 passengers and LE package #2. The different between invoice and MSRP is $2400 plus 2% holdback = $3000 profit. One dealer is willing to give $300 off MSRP, like your dealer 2. Please tell me how you make dealer 4 to get you this. I mean, almost every dealer is acting like dealer 1.

Also, the dealer asked us the buy the wireless headphone for $80. Is it a good accessory to get? I know the package #2 included the rear seat audio. Can it work without the headphone?
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    There is much more to a good "deal" than just the lowest price.
  • bausbackbausback Member Posts: 7
    Just had a lengthy conversation with a Kansas City area dealer who said he had contacted Toyota regional about whether one could order an 04 Sienna XLE with a specific option package (we want the base XLE with the CX package #3). He said he was told by the Toyota mfg. reps that for the "forseable future" all XLE's were going to be made with the ES #9 package or the GH package #14, both of which come with a moonroof and alot of other extras which we don't want.

When I asked him what time frame was meant by the term "forseable future" he said at least for the next 6 months. He also indicated that Toyota was now going to be adopting the marketing approach used by Honda, i.e. "this is what we have, take it or leave it."

The best discount he could offer was $500 under MSRP. Sounds like danhirsch got the deal we're looking for - % over invoice (not MSRP) and an XLE without all the unwanted bells and whistles. (maybe we should be checking with NJ Toyota dealers).

Would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There is much more to a good "deal" than just the lowest price.

Yep, in addition to the lowest price, I want honest and forthright treatment and I don't want to have some salesperson running back to a manager every time I mumble about the price being too high :-)

Sounds like a good lead-in to a plug:

"Remember, a good deal isn't just the lowest selling price. It's the lowest total out-the-door cost on a car that meets your needs."

10 Steps to Buying a New Car

Steve, Host
    I agree. Steve. I don't care they are making any profit or not from the deal or they have kids to send to college. But I can't pay MSRP just because I am the first guy who drive the car. Currently, most dealers usually will offer $300 to $500 off the MSRP. Some of them insist MSRP because there is almost nothing to sell in the dealer. And the gap between invoice and MSRP for this van (any trim) is $2500 to $3000. Not to mention the 2% holdback for Toyota vehicles. It is unusual to see that guy got $500 over invoice. I think the dealer still made as much as $1000 even they sold him for $500 over invoice. We are taking about $400 or more on 2% holdback (non-negotiable). Well, Toyota usually have no problem with the production. Situation should be change in few weeks.
  • cincinnatus11cincinnatus11 Member Posts: 3
    I explained to each successive dealer what had happened up to that point. Maybe Dealer 4 was just a nice guy who recognized that between the 2% over invoice and the hold back, he could put nearly $1,000 in his pocket for 30 minutes work. Maybe he ripped off the guy who walked in the door before me for 2% over MSRP or had a great time with his wife the night before, was feeling good about himself, and gave me a break. Don't know. I don't believe the "this car is so hot there's no way you will get it below sticker" line, and I think any sales manager that says it has no respect for the buyer which is why I loved telling the 1st dealer the deal I got. In my experience, I have also found smaller, underdog dealers, to be more reasonable. The bigger ones have enough suckers coming in the door that they don't need to waste their time with people who are going to bust chops. Try going to the big dealer first and after getting the MSRP sob story call his underdog competitor from the big guys lot. Tell him where you are, what you are looking for, and how you are being treated. The small guy will frequently give you what you want just to stick it to the big guy. Remember, it's not personal, it's business. Good-luck. PS - I got the 8 passenger also.
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    We ordered our 2004 XLE Limited FWD with the HE package (Rear DVD entertainment system) from Uhlmann Motors Toyota in Chehalis, WA. MSRP on our vehicle is $36,230 minus the destination and other fees. The deal they gave us was $34,056, which is 2% over invoice, plus $510 destination & $795 TDA (Toyota's advertising fee.) This is the same deal you can get at Columbia Fleet in OR.

An advantage for Washington residences is that the sales tax rate in Chehalis is only 7.8%, which is a percent lower than the Seattle area at 8.8%. Even if you order through Columbia Fleet you will have to pay the sales tax rate in where you reside.

All the dealers in the Seattle area are at MSRP+. A lot of them add dealer-installed packages like door guards, pin stripes and wheel well protectors and charge $1000-2300 for them.

I worked with the Sales Manager and Owner and did the whole transaction over the phone and fax. I had a pleasure dealing with them and they are low pressure unlike some eastside dealers. They are about 90 minutes south of Seattle. Can’t wait to pick up our van in a few weeks. :)
  • era5678era5678 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if anyone out there has found any dealers in Ohio offering a good price. I'm in central Ohio and would have no problem driving a few hours if I got a good deal.
  • szettlerszettler Member Posts: 2
    Dan,

Which dealer did you buy from in NJ, I am currently looking in the same area(North Central NJ). Thanks
  • blandfordmblandfordm Member Posts: 54
    One dealer near Atlanta, GA has offered me $1,000 off MSRP for a 2004 Sienna LE and said that if I give him 2 weeks notice, he could have one for me that was equipped like I want. Has anyone found a better deal than that within about 50 miles of Atlanta or Macon, GA?
    Hi anyone,

Several dealers here in MA repsonded me with full MSRP (one with $300 discount) for LE 8 passengers with LE Package #1. Also, is it true that LE Package #2 only available in different region? One dealer told me this. I want the #2 (with alloy wheels) instead of #1.
  • kilimanjarokilimanjaro Member Posts: 11
    On another car info website I see PIO (which I guess to be Port Installed Options) not listed at Edmunds websites, things like hood protecotr, running boards, floor mats, cargo nets, etc. Are buyers required to purchase most/all of these options?

Thanks and regards
    Concerning post #943, according to Toyota's web site, all of the options you mentioned (except running boards) are available as accessories that you can purchase at the dealer and that should not be required for purchase. I did not see running boards listed as an accessory for any model or trim level. However, I looked only at the accessories and not at any of the option packages.
  • surshkmrsurshkmr Member Posts: 3
    kgnw1, you got a great deal! I too live in the Seattle area and I am looking to buy a XLE FWD with pkg CZ. How long before you get your van? Did you get to choose your exact color and options?
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    Should get it in early May. Probably could get it sooner if I was more flexible with the color. But don't mind the wait since I'm getting everything I want including running boards for the little ones. We looked at the Limited at Kirkland and originally was going to go with the Aspen Green Pearl, but changed our minds after seeing a 4Runner and Camry in the Stratosphere Mica.
  • keith134keith134 Member Posts: 18
    What are folks paying for leftover 2003 Siennas? I am get quotes around 28.8K with the Luxury Package, Htd Seats, Rear Spoiler and Tow Packageand DVD system. This still seems relatively high considering a Odyssey EX-L with Leather and DVD can be had for 28.4K (dealer internet pricing.) thanks
  • garry2003garry2003 Member Posts: 1
    LE Symphony 2003 with lot of options, MSRP was 28,147 and Cinci, OH dealer quoted it for 22,300 with 0% APR for 36. And CE 2003, MSRP 25,400 quoted for 20,600 with 0% APR

Did anyone have a better price quotes from OH.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you bought a car this weekend, a national news service wants to hear from you asap. Please send a note with your daytime contact info and some basic details on your new vehicle asap no later than March 27 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration!
    Best,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • 2nddavidsden2nddavidsden Member Posts: 1
    I want to order a LE with the BW (#7) package. Sunday I e-mailed dealers where we live or have extended family. 5 in northeast OH, 13 in central CT & 5 in north central NC. So far all OH dealers state they cannot get BW package and all Siennas are at MSRP. No response from CT. dealers. All NC dealers responded. 4 at MSRP and 1 at MSRP less $700. Sales tax on autos is 3% in NC. A significant advantage over OH-7% and CT-6%.
    Same thing in MA. Only three dealers responded (email) with MSRP, one with $300 discount. Another four didn't even bother to respond. There isn't many Sienna to sell at this moment. Be patient.

It is the same attitude (dealers) like I had with Honda Odyssey, Pliot and CR-V when they first debut. There is approx. $2.5K to $3K profit (after 2% holdback) if the dealer sell this at MSRP. And would they sell this to someone for $1000 less. That's why I am surprise some people got a great deal. And I can see they are playing game now. Again, be patient. They will begging to buy one from them within a short period of time.
    I'm looking for a 2004 Sienna LE with option package 7 as well. What does the 'BW' stand for? Also, whichever vehicle I do buy, I will title the vehicle in Georgia. I had looked out of State to save on sales tax but was told by a couple dealers that the sales tax is based on where you title the car, not where you purchase it. I haven't spoken to anyone except for dealers about this. However, I've heard the same thing from a couple dealers in Florida- who would benefit if they did not correct my apparent misconception that I would save sales tax by buying from them in Florida.
  • harryfatharryfat Member Posts: 132
    blandfordm,

sales tax is paid for where you live, not where you buy the car from. You can't save sales tax in buying from out of state. The out of state dealership won't charge you sales tax as they mostly likely don't have "Nexus", which is technical talk in saying they don't do business in your state. So when you paid for the vehicle, it will be with no sales tax. And you pay for your sales tax when you register at your friendly local DMV to get the Georgia license plate.

as for these two letter Toyota codes, look at the Edmunds new car tab and try to price a 04 Sienna and you will see that BW is a package available to LE trim. And you can click on the details to see what's in it and what's in all these 2 letter alphabet soup options everyone is talking about(i.e. AM package, CP this, CY that).

Hope this helps.
  • davidsdendavidsden Member Posts: 5
    You are right that sales tax must be paid where the car is registered. However, we will be retiring to NC and have both family and property there so that we are eligible to have the auto titled there. The downside is that NC is one of the few states that assesses an annual property tax on the value of the car. On the Sienna LE I'd guess that to be about $300 and declining as the car depreciates.
    Thanks for the feedback on sales tax and the option codes. I had only noticed the Sienna's packages listed by # (e.g. LE option package 7, which is the one I want). Again, thanks for the feedback.
    I had asked this before, but got no response, so I'm trying again. Has anyone found a better deal than $1,000 off MSRP for a 2004 Sienna LE with or without option package 7, within about 50 miles of Atlanta or Macon, GA? If so, please let me know where, so I can try to get a better deal than I've found so far.
    blandfordm - BW is stand for LE Package #7. It is in addition to the Package #1 (Trip computer, Garage door opener,Power Passenger's sliding doors & Rear Seat Audio) for $810, you get Stability control with Traction control, Rear disc brake, Windshield deicer, Daytime running lights and Alloy wheels for $2895.00. Although there are 11 different packages, my dealer told me I can either get #1 or #7 on LE (FWD). I don't want all these feature. So I have get #1 plus $699 for alloy wheels. If they can get me #2 ($1220), it saves me some money on wheels. Right now, dealers only see the dollar sign. Finding any dealers with great discount is impossible.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    $1000 off MSRP seems to be a good deal for most people but if you are willing to drive or hop on Amtrack for a few hours, I'm sure you can save a few more dollars.
    Price quote?
  • surshkmrsurshkmr Member Posts: 3
    kgnw1, I am going with your advice and try Ulhmann - could you please send me email? Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback about my request for better deals. If you have any more ideas on where to get better than $1000 off MSRP on a 2004 Sienna near Atlanta, GA, please let me know.
  • unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    Try Heywood Allen Toyota in Athens. We bought a 2000 XLE there in Nov. 1999. They were cheaper than the Atlanta dealers. They also communicate via email.

Since you know what you want, why don't you just email, call, or fax the dealers in this area. Many will give you a quote. Second, using a quote from another dealer or from a buying service (e.g. carsdirect.com, AAA, Costco, other buying services) can give you a base from which you can get excellent quotes via email or fax.

Good luck!
    THANK YOU EDMUNDS! If it weren't for this board, we would not have been as confident as we should have been to get our deal at 2% over invoice. We have put in our order for the 2004 Sienna XLE with option package 3 (leather, sunshades and 17" alloy wheels) in Arctic Frost White with fawn (tan)interior from CROWN TOYOTA in Lawrence, Kansas. Our pricing was as follows:

Base invoice XLE - $25,150
    Package #3 invoice - 1,304
    Floor mats invoice - 119
    Special color invoice- 187
    TDA - 429
    Delivery - 510
    +2% dealer margin - 554
    Total: $28,253 (plus doc fees, warranty, etc.)

Here's our experience:

We contacted several dealers, most of which said they wouldn't give any discount on MSRP. Our search took about two weeks of phone calls and emails to the various dealerships with the following results:

Dealer #1(our home dealership) - 1st offer MSRP with no discount. 2nd offer - will match Dealer #5 (but it took 3 days to get this response from salesperson and in the meantime we had gotten offer from Dealer #6 which we took). We were very disappointed that our own dealership didn't take us seriously and value our business as a repeat customer. So we chose not to go back to them a 3rd time with the 2% offer.

Dealers #2 & #3 (local) - MSRP, no discount

Dealer #4 (local) - $500 under MSRP

Dealer #5 (about 150 miles away where relatives live) - $1,000 over invoice. (This was in response to our request to pay 2% over invoice). They were very easy to deal with and we almost took that deal except for Dealer #6.

Dealer #6 (30 miles outside of metro area) - 2% over invoice. Responded within 1/2 hour of our request - no haggling or hassles at all.

Our advice, keep calling dealers and be confident in the price you are willing to pay. Don't believe the story that "no one is selling under MSRP". Also, one thing we heard from most of the Toyota dealers is that they were more motivated to negotiate on what they have in stock as opposed to special ordering with a 4 month wait. This way they get a larger allotment of vehicles on the next shipment sooner (ie. sell more - get more).

If anyone wants more details about our experience or info on who we dealt with at Crown Toyota just send me an email.
  • twinmom73twinmom73 Member Posts: 17
    Hi - I would be interested, but your profile doesn't have your email address. We live in Tulsa, and Lawrence would not be too far to drive. I think Oklahoma is in that group that adds on extras, and Kansas isn't - so might be worth our drive!
    Thanks
    Sorry about that. I've fixed the profile to give my email addy.
  • twen1twen1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am very interesting to get your experience how to deal with car dealer. Could you make sure your profile is viewable so I am able to send you a email? I am looking for car dealers in austin, TX.
  • jxlxrjxlxr Member Posts: 61
    For those of you who have been buying or researching the 2004s, does anybody know what the 3 and 4 year lease residuals are looking like?

I am beginning to speak to a few dealers and I am waiting for official quotes but they are all MSRP at first conversation. With minivan sales down overall, cars sales down, and the fact that Toyota is cranking up production by over 50%, there should be no reason deals can't be made. The problem is always being the first in the door. For those who can wait, 2 months and a little over invoice will be the norm. Toyota wants this to be the Camry of vans.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Car_man, host over in Smart Shopper, should have some residual information handy. Try a search for the Lease Questions, Ask Here discussion.

Steve, Host
  • tj2004tj2004 Member Posts: 3
    I live in central Iowa and brought home an '04 XLE with package #5 (rear discs, brake assist, traction & skid control, side airbags and curtain bags), mats and wireless headphones for 2,720 under MSRP. I did keep in fairly close touch with a salesperson at the dealership, but just stumbled across this one while looking at an LE (which seem to be moving faster than the XLE's, maybe due to all the packages attached?). The dealership has moved a lot of Sienna's, and seem to be willing to deal. We were very happy with the price.
  • gatorhawkgatorhawk Member Posts: 23
    placed order today in colorado for xle limited awd for 2000 below msrp.
    It's great you got such a good deal. You mentioned that XLE package 5 has rear discs, brake assist, traction & skid control, side airbags and curtain bags. Toyota's web site, http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/sienna/options.html, says XLE Package #5 comes with "leather-trimmed seats with manual second- and third-row window sunshades, and heated front seats". It doesn't mention the safety stuff you did. Do you know where the discrepancy comes from?
  • keith134keith134 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone gotten a good deal from a dealership in the Twin Cities? The Odyssey is starting to sound really good at 28.5K with leather and the DVD system but I'd like to consider the Sienna if I can get a competitive price. thanks everyone.
  • mayhem2003mayhem2003 Member Posts: 28
    Your post is truly inspiring. Thanks for being so generous and unselfish in sharing your info and experiences.

Your post made my day, since I have been trying to negotiate with dealers in my area for the past week without much success.

Has anybody gotten a good deal in AB/BC, Canada.
  • leagraleagra Member Posts: 7
    I'd like an LE pkg 3 or 4. I've been told most LE's are arriving with pkg 1 or 7, and are being sold at MSRP. Has anyone been quoted anything other than MSRP in this area?
  • tj2004tj2004 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm not sure why it only lists a few of the option packages and uses different numbers on that page. In total there are 19 different packages. On the Toyota site, go to 'Build and price your Sienna' and it shows under option combination #1. Looks like there aren't a lot of options to choose from at this time. Edmunds new car site also shows all the option packages.

This is from the Edmunds site, contents match Toyota's except doesn't include the windshield wiper de-icer grid...
    XLE Package #5
    Includes stability control, traction control, brake assist, rear disc brakes, windshield wiper de-icer, daytime running lamps, power moonroof with sunshade, front side airbags and front, rear and third row curtain airbags.
  • terraeterrae Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to everyone for their replies to my previous questions! I would also like some feedback on the "extra" options. Which of the following would you recommend doing?

* Underbody & Rust Protection
    * Fabric Guard
    * Paint Protection with Teflon
    * Extra Care Protection

Does anyone have experience with these programs and how well they work?
  • murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

I am looking forward to buy a minivan and with the
    introduction of Sienna 04. I am little bit
    confused as to which one is best in terms of
    worth for money, reliability, comfort in ride,
    pricing etc. Is it Sienna 04 or Odyssey 03?
    I live in Richmond, VA, I would also like
    to know anyone did get a nice deal with Sienna'04
    or Odyssey '03, in and around VA area.

I don't mind travelling a bit (say about 250 miles
    radius - upto Philly) to get a good deal on a Van.
    I heard that Dealers at Greensboro, NC and MD
    are really nice to deal with. Is it true?

Thanks and Regards,
    As far as reliability, you probably won't find a rating for the 2004 Sienna, since it was completely redesigned from previous years. The 2003 Sienna got Consumer Reports' (CR) best rating for reliability. They also ranked the 2003 Sienna at the top of all mini-vans for reliability, just edging out the Mazda MPV and better than the Odyssey. However, like I said, it is a new year. CR gave the 2003 Odyssey their second best reliability rating.

As far as worth for money, you should choose for yourself after you see a side-by-side comparison. Edmunds.com can help you with this. Go to their home page, click on new cars, and then scroll down and click on compare. http://www.autosite.com/ also has really good comparison info. Off the top of my head, a few of the 2004 Sienna's advantages are that it has more cargo room, better gas mileage, a few more features available, and at least by my insurance company- annual insurance rates seem to be better on the Sienna than on the Odyssey. But, it may be harder to get a really good deal right now on a 2004 Sienna than on an Odyssey. The Odyssey (240) does have more horsepower than the Sienna (230). However, I haven't driven a 2004 Sienna yet, so I'm not sure how much, if any of a difference you feel with the Odyssey's 10 extra horses.

And for comfort of ride, you really should go test drive both and decide for yourself. Make sure you test drive the same trim level you would intend on getting, including the type of interior. Try to Not test drive one with leather if you plan to get cloth. And with the Sienna, I understand they even have different types of cloth for each trim level of the van (CE, LE, LXE). Although I've seen some post that they couldn't tell the difference. Others will always have opinions on which seat feels better... The 2004 Sienna does have more leg and head room than the Odyssey. But it's your money and you're the one sitting in the seat, so you should really decide that for yourself. Hope this helps.
  • mmc8mmc8 Member Posts: 8
    To those near Philly - I have gotten some decent pricing on the 04 Siennas, with just a little bit of leg work. I am trying to do better and am thinking that the more people I can send to this dealer, the better the overall deal for anybody interested. Right now they have offered me 3% over invoice for two vehicles (myself and a friend). But I do not want to go any higher than 2%.

If you are interested, let me know and maybe we can entice the dealer to do better.
  • palmerpalmer Member Posts: 33
    Let me know, as I am in the Philly area what dealership you are looking at.