Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• muzzmuzz Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a Brand New MB 230K sedan or C240 in the next 3 months.
    I got big hesitation of choosing between C230k and C240 now. The thing is...
    Is c230k noisy and uncomfortable than C240?
    And do you think that it is possible buying C230K(AT transmission,sunroof,cd changer) with $29K oneshot cash money?
    Plz reply~
    thanks.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    You should test drive both since you have to go to the dealership anyway whether you get a 230K or 240.
  • kingkkingk Member Posts: 8
    Try carsdirect.com with a CA zip code (ex 90706)... Believe or not.. The 230K sedan with your options is about 28K because of a heavy dealer cash. Actually the C320 was about 4K below invoice. Yeah, hard to believe.. The special offer ends at the end of this month though.. Good Luck.. Please tell us about your deal later..
  • budinctbudinct Member Posts: 21
    I am going to buy a C230 with auto, sunroof, CD heated seats for $29 even as well. I am happy. It seems like a good deal.
    Does anyone know if the 2005 C230 sedan and/or C240 will have availability of the new DVD-based navigation system that also plays MP3s?
    The 2005 CL class has it.
    I noticed the previous generation C Class sedan seemed more "substantial" and larger. The current C Class reminds me a little of the even older bodystle from the 190/260s in the early 1990's.
    The current C-class "looks" smaller than a 2000, but is the interior and trunk room really smaller?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I've owned all of them...actually 2ea W201s ['84 and '86], a W202 ['94] and the current W203 ['02 C240]. The current car is "more substantial" both in measurements and feel. I certainly don't have any impression at all that the previous generation is any bigger or...well...just can't fathom where that comes from...
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    While Jcrt is mathematically correct, I agree that the 202 (last generation) "looks" bigger. I think the the larger than fact appearance stems from the more upright grill, front and rear windshields and taller overall profile. Also I think the 203 can "feel" more confining and smaller due to the significantly more raked windshield combined with the more sloping hoodline.

The new 203 is a very solid feeling car. Possibley the most solid feeling one in the current line up.
  • miguelmiguel Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Does anyone knows how many watts does the stereo system in the 2001 C320 sedan have?
  • abhiabhi Member Posts: 1
    04' C230 Sedan,Premium Audio,Sunroof,2k miles
    Actually, it is the Sun shade vibration which is causing the distorted sound, even at a low volume.The service centre says-the bass is too much.Although, for the same CD,same audio settings, 2 months back there was no distortion!!
    Has anybody seen similar problem??!!Thanks
    At Eurobuyers.com and a few other places, you can purchase certain BMW models for about $1000 to $1500 over the European Delivery INVOICE price.
    Are there places you can do that with a C230 or C240?
    If you ask the MBZ dealers for a discount from the ED MSRP, I know they will simply say "The Euro Delivery MSRP is already an adequate discount for you. We can't discount any further."
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Looks pretty good:

M
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    The Corolla probably should provide one of the most favorable cost per mile obtainable (other than buying a used Corrolla), but other than that, there's not much you can rationally say about it.
    ...an '03 Corolla and an '02 C240. Size is the only legitimate comparison. For long-distance touring, comfort, and overall satisfaction, the C seems worth the extra money to me [we paid $15k for our Corolla, $30k for the C240 automatic].

I don't much believe in sourpuss dissing as a discussion tactic, either. I also would never discourage anyone from buying either car...our Corolla was most certainly NOT a "tin can", and the C is still superior in every way except ownership cost. Having owned 14 MBs and nearly as many Toyotas, you can't convince me that either of these is something to deride...oh well...
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I recently had a Corolla as a rental. Much to my surprise, the engine sounded quite loud and rough. Far more NVH than my old '87 Integra. And the seats were very uncomfortable for me. No doubt a very reliable car, however.
  • chadwick32chadwick32 Member Posts: 20
    I have never owned a MB and am considering this 96 C280 Starmark certified from the local MB dealer. Has 61k miles and appears to be in great shape. My question is will this car last the next 10 years and be pretty solid car or am I paying too much for name? My wife says latter but I want the car if price is fair. Who is right??
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    cars that old typically require more service. Parts and labor on a Mercedes will cost a lot more than most other cars that age.
  • kkics1kkics1 Member Posts: 11
    I was shopping around in Chicago, and I have been quoted Invoice less $2250 in rebate on a 2004 C230. Any thoughts on this as a fair price? I think it is, but I want to make sure before I make the plunge. Also, how hard is it to find one without a sun roof? Being 6'4", headroom is at a premium.
    The price is fine - not worth doing a lot of arguing about. The chances of finding a car without a sunroof are slim and none.

Just about the only way to get a non-roof car is to order it, and by definition, that's not an option in this case.

I've been buying these cars since 1968, and lament the day [sometime in the mid '80s, I think] when it became "necessary" to have a sunroof in this "class" of cars; this occurred about the same time it became mandatory to have alloy wheels, power windows, leather, etc. This was when the steep decline of the dollar vs the D-Mark made it necessary to disguise huge price increases with more equipment. Next thing you know, the marketing types have convinced everybody that this is what the car should look like.

In the EU, you can have any C or E with cloth upholstery, no sunroof, steel wheels, etc....we, on the other hand, get no such choices. Special-order cars are the only way to avoid the sunroof "penalty" [I'm 6' even, but would pay them to leave it off any car I buy]. The seat should have enough travel to suit you anyway, but I know that can be a near thing depending on where your height is [legs vs torso].
  • empty99empty99 Member Posts: 1
    Once in a while there a particular model that seems to blend perfectly in value and sense and performance, it is the C230 Kompressor sedan. The little 1.8 twin balance shaft supercharged engine provides light weight and pep to propel the C class to amazing speed and grace and quietness more like an inline 6. Interior quality material and tight finish are very high, the body drum tight, door slams with an MB thud sound, the gearshift feels like a million bucks w/o the cheap plasticky accordion cover like in the BMW 3, nor sloppy like Lexus IS300 (this model interior is clearly dated as compared to Audi A4 and all others mentioned here). I did detect just a touch delay in acceleration from start, and counted twice a slight engine stumbling coming out of slow corners, other than that it is a premium sedan through and through. The 2004 comes w/ full 4 yr maintenance no charge along with factory warranty, which is nice.
  • dlsnyderdlsnyder Member Posts: 1
    It is 2wd; 4c auto; with 88483; asking price is $9900...would not be purchasing from a dealer... (so no warranty?)
    I have run consumer reports and carfax...now I would like to hear from anyone who has owned this model...pros/cons and advice.
    From my reading it seems the C280 would be preferable; but we're trying to stay at $10,000 and under.
    We weren't necessarily looking for a MB, but ran across this one and thought we'd do some research
    Would basically be a commuter car but may want to take it on vacation sometime (1000+ miles one way...)

Thanks.
    From what I've gathered from owners on these boards the C230 is a good car.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    For what it's worth, I have a 2000 C230 and have found it to be very reliable. Two of my friends each have a 1998 C230, and their cars have been good to them, as well. A while ago, someone "ranked" the various models of the C-Class on this board, and the 1998 C230 came in "first." It is the last year for the non-supercharged four cylinder engine, so it will be a mite slower than the 1999-2000 cars. The 1998 will have automatic climate control, unlike the latter cars, and will probably have MB Tex "vinyl" seats rather than the leather inserts from 1999-on. It is a good, basic car--which I believe is the way to go when purchasing a used Benz. Service history is very important--I wouldn't buy without seeing it.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I want the bottom line word from those who know. Is the C class Mercedes going to be a hanger queen that I spend too much time getting to and from the shop? I am hearing word of bad Mercedes reliablity here and there, but is it really the case?

Had two bmw's and they were problematic and I'm tired of hassling with cars. I prefer German designs and rear wheel drive (the acura TL is the only japanese car that interests me) but not if it's going to be a stressful ownership experience.
    Stick with the TL
    Mercedes is trying to fix the problems. It must be an embarrassment. However, it remains to be seen until time passes and we can look back at the reliability of 2004 and 2005 models.
  • johngenxjohngenx Member Posts: 13
    In Canada, the C-Class is sold in Classic trim with steel wheels, cloth interior, no sunroof, etc. It's an effort to keep the MSRP down, as MB prices in Canada are very high compared to the US, in terms of price:income.

Also, we don't have "packages" of options, but instead you pick and choose from options on an individual basis.

As an example, my own 1998 C230, I ordered the Classic trim (I want to pick my own alloys, thanks, and like the steels for winter tires) and added a sliding roof, heated seats, and MB Tex interior.

I do wish we had a wider range of MB products, including C-Class diesels. However, we are getting the Smart foretwo this year, a step in the right direction. However, Smart pricing is very high for the type of car. A well equipped Mazda 3 is the same or less. Too bad.
  • eoseos Member Posts: 27
    My experience with a 2000 C280 sport model: In nearly 4 years of ownership the radio head unit, driver seat frame, rear struts, battery, fuel level sending units, engine oil seal, 2 headlight bulbs, and 1 rear bulb have all been replaced. The work was all performed under warranty (even the battery, struts and bulbs, which are really wear items), and when needed (the seat replacement was a 2-day job, and the struts, fuel units plus battery and oil seal all together were another 2 day job) loaner cars were made available. The service people could not have been nicer, and when I brought the car in for the fuel sensor problem found and repaired the battery, struts and oil seal problems.

Needless to say, though, had this work not been covered it would have been quite expensive. No surprise, therefore, that I am contemplating saying goodbye to the car when the warranty expires -- I love the 280's look, but what most folks here have said about German reliability does seem to be true.

However, what most say about the way German cars drive relative to Japanese or US models has also been my experience (based on owning VWs, Hondas, my current MB and my wife's BMW): they are wonderful to drive. So if I do say goodbye to my C280, I will replace it with another Benz or (more likely) a 325 with stick.

Bob
  • carlglovercarlglover Member Posts: 1
    I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with this question, but my interest in Mercedes is newly-awakened, so I am not well-informed on basic issues.
    I'm considering the purchase of either a 2000 model C280 or a 2001 model C240, both with fewer than 50,000 miles. However, the Mercedes cachet notwithstanding, I'm not interested in spending a lot of time and money on maintenance, repairs, etc. (Owning Hondas and a Lexus have spoiled me in this regard.)
    Could anyone with direct experience and/or knowledge of these cars advise me? Just how expensive and time-consuming would it likely be to keep them in reasonable running condition? What am I letting myself in for? At what point do diminishing returns set in? Etc.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  • eoseos Member Posts: 27
    My previous post(#6886) gives the flavor of probable reliability issues for a Y2k C280 -- I think it's clear you will likely not have the level of comfort you've enjoyed with the Honda and Lexus brands. Once your warranty is gone, moreover, maintenance will be fairly steep. I have been told, for example, that the rotors on my car not designed to be turned, but simply to be replaced.

That said, I have no regrets about having bought the car (though I may trade it in soon, as the end of warranty is fast approaching).

Good luck with your decision.

Bob
    I was considering leasing a brand new 2005 C230 next year, but it's less likely now that they dropped the free maintenance starting with 2005 models. At least it would be covered by factory warranty.
    The thought of buying a used model out of warranty seems almost reckless.
  • rcessrcess Member Posts: 5
    Carlglover,

I would be very cautious about purchasing a used 2001 C240. I bought a new one in May 2001, and I’ve lost track of how many times that car has been back in the shop. It has been one electronic problem after another. This is the worst car I have ever owned, and I bought my first new car in 1960. I plan on replacing the C240 when its warranty expires next year.

Bob
    ...while our '02 C240 has been an excellent car and mostly trouble-free, I would hesitate to recommend a used '01 that did not have a transferable extended warranty. There were simply too many first-year problems with the W203 cars, most of which have solutions now, but that doesn't help if you have to pay to have it fixed.

Our car was built in Jan '02 at the Bremen plant, about 19 months after production first started, and apart from a couple of very minor problems that were fixed easily, has so far [knock on wood] been very nice to live with. This is our 14th Mercedes, and I too have been buying cars since 1962 [over 50 in all during that time]; the only generalization that works is that the Japanese do a better job of managing their suppliers and subcontractors, which means that there are fewer problems and faster fixes. That said, nothing drives nor is as competent an all-around touring car as a Mercedes sedan or wagon...EXCEPT a Lexus LS...if you can find a used one of those you can afford, that would always be my first choice.
  • dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    Big recall today on the Sensotronic brake system although it does not affect the C Class. Every survey of M-B cars I have seen in the last couple of years puts them near the bottom for quality, reliability etc. One survey even has Hyundai rated better for quality which is pretty scary.

Is M-B reliability improving at all? I would love to get a C Class but I want good reliability.

In Canada we get a really basic C Class sedan for around C$ 38 K but it looks like crap inside without the wood accents. Both my current Japanese compacts are better looking inside. The next model up has the smaller 6 cylinder and a much nicer interior called a Classic I think (the one I would like). I would have preferred to buy the C last year over the Honda we ended up with but quality scares me (the Honda has been flawless). It is such as shame because I have enjoyed driving many premium cars, the M-B is the only one car I have ever wanted to own.

One of my colleagues, a German, recently switched after 30 years from M-B to Honda and Toyota products (their ML is now a Pilot and the E Class is now a Lexus ES300). She said that Honda and Toyota now represent what M-B used to mean in terms of quality and durability.

So is resale getting affected by all of this? They still seem to sell for good price up here but maybe because I am in a big city with lots of demand and dealerships for service.
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    Is the C320 the same as the E320....I notice the C has 5 less horsepower...Also is the 4Matic used in the C320 an updated version of the 4Matic used in an 01 E320..?..I thought I read the C320 is new and splits power to all 4 wheels as opposed to the 4 Matic in the 01,02 E which is in rear wheel drive until the car needs it...Thanx for any help...Rod
    The 3.2 engines used in the C and E are the same - hp differences come from the exhaust system routing, which is more restrictive in the C.

I'm not a 4-matic expert, but my understanding is that the system now used across the board [all lines available with AWD] is the same - an updated, simplified, and vastly improved 3rd generation technology that indeed moves power as needed to any wheel independently. Someone else can chime in here if I'm wrong...
  • mb280mb280 Member Posts: 27
    I have an old 1994 C280 with over 170,000 miles on it. Over the years there have been maintenance costs including a recent head gasket repair. I will probably have to replace the wiring harness in the near future.

Last year I purchased a Lexus RX330. The fit and finish of the Lexus are fantastic. The creature comforts and "toys" can't be beat and it was appreciably cheaper than the C320 AWD wagon I was also considering.

While I know the RX is a crossover, I anticipated that it would be a fairly decent handling vehicle under normal conditions. Unfortunately, it is not. Driving it on a longer trip is tiring as it is constantly drifting all over the road.

The C280 may be more costly to maintain but at least when driving it feels secure and handles well and doesn't wander off on it own.
    Well there you have it....
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    I recently visited local MB dlr and had them place new 2004 C230 next to 2005 sedans for comparison. About $800 difference in price with minor exterior/interior changes. Dlr says he gets allowances from MB to dispose of '04 that he cannot give me on '05 model. Not too many professional reviews of '05 model performance and enhancements at this early date. Any advice offered would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The 2005's don't included scheduled maintenance during the first 50k miles. Not a good move by Mercedes, IMHO.
    ...are $3000 for most Cs. Discounts on '04s run up to $5000, depending on model and dealer. You decide...
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    Are the 2005s on dealer lots yet? Also, recently, my friend has been having trouble with the radio on her C230 coupe. Has anyone else been having problems with the radio freezing up?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Right now the deals on 2004's are naturally going to be better because MB has to clear them out for the 2005's.

However, there's plenty of supply for the demand. If someone is set on a 2005 and can also wait a few months, there will be strong discounts on those 2005's. The current C-class is entering the latter half of its lifecycle, and the 2005's mid-life refresh won't send sales through the roof.

But for now the best deals are on the 2004's.
  • grneyesgrneyes Member Posts: 12
    I've always been told to put premium fuel in my Mercedes and always have. Is it really necessary? I'm currently driving a 2004 C320 6 cyl.,(not the hybrid fuel version).
    Thanks
    ...it is really necessary. Period. The car will run on lesser grades, but only by retarding the ignition timing, to the detriment of available power and higher fuel consumption. MB could not be more clear about this - 91 Octane or better.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Never understood how people who are willing to spend $30-50,000 for a depreciating car can contemplate trying to "save" a meager few dollars by using lower than recommended octane fuel. If saving a few dollars at the fuel pump is so important, why not buy a Honda Civic? Or diesel Jetta? Go figure.

Just like you should use the recommended oil, transmission fluid, coolant, and brake fluid, use the recommended octane. That is what your car was designed for.
    Makes even less sense as the price of gas goes up when you consider that the additional 10-20 cents is even a smaller percentage of the fuel cost.
  • benzmanbenzman Member Posts: 4
    I've owned 3 MB's since 1989( after 4 BMW's). A 300E for 75K and 7yrs-then a 96 C280 for 8 yrs-recently bought an '04 C320-4matic. The 4-matic is amazing-you can't spin a wheel if you try. The system is seemless. Love it. I recently drove this car from Pa to Atlanta and back at speeds between 70-80 mph with ocassional bursts to 90 and got 27 mpg in complete comfort and silence.
     However, I want to know if anyone has a complaint about the a/c on this car. It seems when the outside temp gets above 90 degrees this system goes into overdrive and won't stop. My old '96 had a fabulous a/c. This one can't seem to handle it.
    Our '02 C240 sedan is the 14th MB since 1968 [along with 4 BMWs since '66, and everything Japanese and German for a total of 52 cars since 1962]; we've just moved north to Vancouver WA [Portland] from the Sacramento Valley. Living in the Sacto area for 9+ years, I can say that we never have had any AC issues with any of our cars, including the current MB. I'm unclear on what your exact complaint is [it's running the compressor a lot, or it's not cooling enough?], but ours works just fine. Of course, our C240 has the std analog dual climate system, not the sexier digital dealie in the C320....
This discussion has been closed.