Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I sent you a private email, but I think comcast has been having some problems the last couple of days, at least here locally.

Sherrill
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Hi,

I'm new to this board but it is looking more and more like my next car will be a C320 Luxury Sedan. Does anyone know when the introduction of the 2006s will be? Will it happen in May, as with the 2005s or will they go back to the more usual September time frame?

Thanks
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Since there will be no big changes as there were this year, look for the '06 release in the Sept-Oct time frame.

This year's timing was all about the facelift; they wanted to get the cars out there as soon as the plants were producing the cars with the changes. I see nothing like that for the '06 models.

2007 will see the intro of the successor car; EU availability in early '07, late '07 here?
    Thanks for the reply!

Now, another question(s) for someone who is familiar with the European Delivery program:

1) Is there a minimum time required in Germany? Can you just drive across town and drop off the same day?

2) When is payment required?

3) How do you handle a trade-in? Do you have to surrender your old car in advance and go without it for a while?

4) Do you or do you not pay the destination fee? The MB website is especially unclear about this.

5) Can you negotiate down from the 7% discount?

6) Do dealers try to tack on additional fees like dealer prep?

7) When and how do you schedule the factory tour?

Thanks again
    Looking more closely at the ED section of MB's website and crunching some numbers it appears that they calculate your ED price by taking 93% of MSRP and then charging invoice price for any options you buy. Then they add the destination charge. Is that correct?

Since invoice = 93% of MSRP, another way of stating the above is you get the vehicle for U.S. invoice plus destination fee. (That still leaves unanswered whether the dealers try to stick you with other charges like advertising or dealer prep.)
    Ah, my favorite subject!

-No minimum time. You can drive it directly to a dropoff point if you want.

-Payment - I think the online site covers this - payment is due x number of days prior to delivery - think it's 30 or 60 days.

-Trade-in - You trade your old car whenever you're ready to give it up. Of course, that means it is valued as of that time. In practice, that means you are on the hook for two cars until your new one arrives back in the states, OR you give up the old one for some time while the whole process plays out. Thus, you have to be able to handle the financial implications of not having a simultaneous trade and delivery, or handle the entire price of the new car for 60-90 days.

-Destination fee - no, you don't pay it, which is no small thing the way they keep jacking it up every year.

-Negotiations - in theory, the dealer can discount the price further. In practice, there is very little wiggle room. Generally, the price is what it is. In the "olden days" of 20% margins, the discount was half [10% profit], and it was common for some dealers to discount further...no more.

-Add-on fees - nope, an honest dealer should handle this at no extra charge, only what is charged to every other customer [local license fees, sales tax, and a modest document fee are all common to both kinds of transactions]. If you encounter any resistance, buy from someone else. Use the internet if your local dealer is clueless or resistant on EU delivery.

-Factory Tour - ....and it's a highlight! You don't have to schedule in advance. When you show up at the Delivery Center in Sindelfingen, you'll be given the option to take the tour either before or after your "delivery ceremony". And check out the status of the MB museum in downtown Stuttgart - they are building a new one, and I don't know the current situation, but you should ask - it's another must-see for any enthusiast.

You have the basic numbers right, per your second post.

Anything else? I highly recommend this to everybody who wants to drive their Mercedes at least once in its native habitat. I always look forward to driving in Europe, and particularly Germany. In general, drivers are SO much better than here - more alert, better trained, and faster on their feet. It takes a day or two to get acclimated, and then you go with the flow.
  • amohraamohra Member Posts: 7
    How does the supercharger work differently than turbocharger? Don't both systems compress the air intake?

Thanks for the info.
    Thanks again for the reply! I've been reading some of these previous posts here. (Not all 7,000+ though!) I must say you strike me as quite the gentleman. There's a big contrast between you and some of the younger posters. Plus, with 14 MBs under your belt you definitely know whereof you speak.

So you've done an ED too?!? I'm not too surprised, really. I have a trip to Germany scheduled for June, so it's a possibility but I will need a new car around March 1, so I may let the dealer convince me to buy something off the lot...
    This URL has the answer to your question:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

One failing of turbochargers in the past has been a lag between the demand for acceleration and the kick-in of the turbo but it seems this problem has been solved by a number of manufacturers -- which may be why MB is getting away from the supercharger. I rented a diesel turbo Passat this summer in Italy and drove it for over 6200 KM and never once noticed any turbo-lag.
    Oh, I DO have another question. You spoke about shopping around for the best deal. I currently have a BMW and with them, if you don't buy from the servicing dealer you don't get a free loaner. Is it that same way with Mercedes?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Are you sure it's invoice price on the options and not the normal list price?
    BMW ED has a similar discount on the base MSRP, but there is no automatic discount on the options.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    Turbos work best on engines with enough low end torque that they don't need help at low RPM (before exhaust pressure has gotten the turbo spinning)- diesels and V8/V12 engines. The size of the turbo and the amount of pressure it is allowed to develop determine how quickly the boost kicks in and how much it helps. A small turbo will spin up faster (less turbo lag, lower engine RPM, less exhaust pressure) but will hit it's maximum boost earlier and will probably leave the engine a bit weak at higher RPM. A bigger turbo can develop more boost but can suffer from more lag. You avoid that by keeping your RPMs up so the turbo is creating boost.

A supercharger is typically driven off the crankshaft like the alternator and A/C compressor, so boost is always present but this adds parasitic drag to the drivetrain.

I can't believe MB is abandoning superchargers. It's much harder to tune a turbo to give good performance over a wide range of driving situations. It's not going to matter for a good V8 or the V12, but it will be harder to avoid compromises on a 4 or 6 cylinder.
    I took delivery of my BMW in Europe, so I know the pricing is different.

I'm not SURE about the MB pricing. I just went through the ED configuration webpages up to the point that a price was given for my proposed vehicle, including options. That price equaled invoice for the base car AND the options.

Anybody have an answer for me about free loaner cars if you didn't buy at the servicing dealership? This will be very important in my purchasing strategy.
    The prices posted on the website are dependable. Whatever it says....

On the loaner question: each dealer is allowed to set their own policy, so unfortunately, the only way to be sure is to ask. Practices vary from being very generous [every service customer gets some kind of transportation] to parsimonious [nothing at all, or restricted to people who bought their cars there, and even then not always available]. Needless to say, a competitive market helps [more than one dealer in the area, preferably owned by more than one person or entity - we had multiple dealers in Sacramento, and same here in the Portland OR area, but under common ownership in each case...no real competition].

You're not likely to get a lower price on MB overseas delivery by shopping around - there's just nothing much to work with. However, some dealers are more welcoming and knowledgeable about EU delivery than others, which can break a tie if you need to.
    It's true MB has a long history with superchargers, but they have taken the decision to switch to turbos. I can guess at the reasoning, but without having a corporate talking head in the room, it would only be a guess.

Keep in mind that outside of North America, the worldwide market is over 50% diesel...sometimes pushing 80% or more depending on the model and the locale.

And a final thought - there were a lot of complaints in the past about the noise and general roughness of the supercharged 4s from MB. Over several years, they made a lot of improvements, but maybe decided it wasn't worth it to keep trying to push this rock uphill.
    Too bad if you must pay full Euro Delivery MSRP withe the C Class. It is not as if the dealerships are personally discounting them the 7%. Their invoice cost is also reduced, plus it is an extra sale that doesn't count against their limited allocation. So, they can't say they will hold out and see if they can get a few hundred dollars more from the the next person that walks in if they lose this sale because this sale would have been an "additional" sale that is now lost forever.
     I priced out a 2005 230 sedan with the ED discount and it didn't price very competitively with a 2005 ED BMW 325 optioned out the way I'd want it.
    The 325 can be had in the range of $1500 to $2000 above the ED invoice after shopping around and you also get 4 years free maintenance along with at least average reliability and a smoother engine with the BMW.
    It almost sounds as if you're trolling. This board is too dead for that, anyway. If it weren't for jrct9454 you could put a fork in it. Too bad, because I'm enthused about my upcoming C-class purchase and this is the only board I've found that's inhabited by "grownups".

Anyway, I've done the BMW thing, and it's Mercedes time...
    No. I like the "looks" of the C230 and the new 2005 interior update, so I looked up the pricing to see if I could justify it by price compared to a 325i, but the poor quality control rankings and now no more free maintenance, plus MBUSA's lax loaner program policy that lets dealers do whatever they want is making it look less and less attractive other than just it's appearance when brand new.
    On top of that it looks like a C230 Sport Sedan with options would actually cost MORE money than a discounted similar 325i even before adding the maintenance costs.
    Without being argumentative, I should mention that BMW dealers' loaner policies are just as variable as MB's. These programs are not directly paid for by the corporate parents nor by their US subs. The loaner programs are strictly up to the dealers in both cases - what the manufacturers do is make it attractive financially to participate by offering low financing and hefty buybacks on cars that are used as loaners, which then can be "certified" and sold just as profitably as used cars.

I chose our C240 over a 325 at least partly because, in the urban market in which we lived at the time, the MB dealer was both closer and considerably easier to get along with than the BMW guy. The actual differences between the cars were [and continue to be] VERY slim - small things that are ties that can be broken either way. I've said here before that anybody who picks a 3er over a C gets no serious argument from me. These are matters of personal preference that don't need real justification to strangers. But BMW's loaner policy is not different from MB's, no matter what you've been told to the contrary.

And yes, the 325 is a very attractive proposition on EU delivery. The savings are substantial, and for me, more importantly, you can get the car the way you really want it. Both BMW and MB dealers tend to order cars for our market that have too many options that I regard as completely useless, or in some cases, worse than useless. EU delivery offers both an attractive price and the ability to truly customize the car...for either make.
    my BMW dealer has the policy of no loaner if you didn't purchase your car there. That has proved not to be a big deal in my case because with 43,000 miles on the car I've had nothing go wrong with it so far. With the Mercedes, I think it important that I make sure I have free loaners. Personally, I would never argue the 230 over the 325i simply because I've had my fill of 4 cylinder engines. The inline 6 in the 325i is a beautiful engine. But, I feel sure that both sixes offered in the C-class will satisfy too.
    Nov 2000 - Nov 2001 = 5000 posts

Nov 2001 - Nov 2002 = 1000 posts

Nov 2002 - Nov 2003 = 670 posts

Nov 2003 - Oct 2004 = 260 posts

I am sort of hoping there is a direct correlation between posts and problems!
  • haycarhaycar Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone converted the hands free kit to a modern phone? I have the 2001 C320 and the timeport/startac phones are out of date/production. Thanks.
    I wonder how the sales compare to the post rate?
    I would think there would be an increase in sales for 2005 because of new updates and interior, but they negated improvements by removing free maintenance.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    If I were you, just get a new bluetooth cell phone. Buy a wireless bluetooth headset and you're set.
  • haycarhaycar Member Posts: 5
    I've thought about it but I don't like headsets.
    I don't know -- I would be interested in seeing sales figures but don't know where to look.

I think the 2005 model year is THE year to buy this generation C as it is most likely to be the most trouble-free. I understand that the 2007 model will be the first year of the new generation and some people say to avoid the last year of a generation (2006 in this case) as well as the first year.
    Today I talked to the MB dealership nearest to my home about their loaner policy, and guess what! As of October 1, no more loaners, period. That's the bad news. The good news is that this means I will completely free to cut the best deal with any dealership in the area.
    Outrageous. No loaners and no free maintenance on a premium luxury brand. The price has to be really good to be worth it.

I wonder what it costs to maintain the car for 4 years if you have all the required services done at the dealer?
    I think I've heard that estimated at $1500. But I wouldn't go to the dealer for standard maintenance if they're not paying for it.

This dropping of loaners is NOT MB policy -- just "my" dealer's. However the sales agent I spoke with said that she expected all the dealers in the area to adopt the same policy soon, so I suspect MB has withdrawn some money they were giving to dealers to subsidize their loaners.
    Their new policies will probably upset those who buy the higher-end models at $50K to $100K+ even more.
    Only if the price is so good that it is still worth it to pay maintenance and car rentals out of your own pocket, would it still be worth it. Even if they don't offer free loaners, I would hope they at least have convenient private car rentals onsite (Enterprise etc.).
    It's bizarre that they are penny pinching at a time when I thought they wanted to improve their ratings.
    (It seems like this is our own private forum (with jrct9454 possibly lurking)!)

Good point, for S-class owners, it's not about the money, I imagine, but being treated in the fashion which they're accustomed to being treated.
  • dprovonsdprovons Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I just joined this board today and have also just joined the ranks of MB owners last week. I took delivery of my new 2005 C230 Kompressor sedan last Tuesday. I've been reading your posts and thought I'd sound off on a point or 2, if it's OK.

I too was really disappointed that MB dropped the free maintenance for '05. However, you only have to bring it in for any kind of service every 13,000 miles, so it's not that terrible. I had to take my Volvo in every 7,500 and it cost me over $100 every time ($400 at 30K miles). Estimated service visits are around $209 for an 'A' service and $393 for 'B' service, so it's pretty much the same as the Volvo. Seems kind of high until I slide into the seat and see that 3-point star shining on the black hood and then I don't care anymore. ;-)

My dealer has free loaners. In fact the dealer was one of the major reasons I bought this over the 325i that my oldest son wanted me to get (he's a MAJOR car nut, at 11!!! I'm in trouble). The MB dealer treated me like I was buying an S Class and worked with me on everything I wanted--truly world-class treatment. I'll go ahead and plug them: Mercedes-Benz of Knoxville, TN. I ought to get a free license plate frame for that, ya' think?
    Isn't there a "maintenance required" light that comes on as needed rather than a fixed 13,000 mile interval?
    I would think that there would be some checks and adjustments that need to be done more often than 13,000 miles.
    If the interval is that long, you would need to check the oil and other fluid levels yourself several times between dealer services. Most new cars will use less than a quart of oil between a 5,000 to 7500 mile service, but 13,000 miles is a long time with no one ever lifting the hood.
    If it needs so little maintenance it makes it seem even more petty that they removed complimentary service.
    The reason the intervals are so long now is because they are using synthetic oil and long-life engine coolant, which don't need replacing nearly as often. BMW only requires maintenance every 15K miles. There is a reminder message on the dash when the service is due, but it is still every 13K on the MB. The dealer suggested I bring it in after the first 6,500 for a no-charge check (just to be sure nothing was loose or defective from the factory), but only that one time between servicings. Pretty cool, really... and I couldn't be happier with the car itself so far. My wife has to pry me out of it to eat and sleep...
    The value of the paid-service campaign is completely dependent on how much you drive. IF you actually accumulate 48-50k miles in 4 years, it is likely that the FSS computer would have you in for 2 "A" Services and 2 "B" Services, plus the fluid replacements that are time-based [brake fluid and coolant]. Then, and only then, was the program worth anything like $1000 or more.

For us, accumulating at the rate of 7k a year or so, I expect to get 2 "A" and 1 "B" plus maybe one coolant change and 2 brake fluid changes. My calculations put the value of that somewhere south of $600-700.

I'm not saying this is a trivial expense, but it shouldn't be a show-stopper, either.

On another note, we just took off for a quick road trip that took us from Vancouver WA to Reno and back, about 1300 miles in 4 days. The weather cooperated [fantastic sunrises in the desert], and the C240 was once again a revelation: fast, quiet, comfortable, and altogether a great experience. Mostly we stuck within 5-10 mph of the speed limits, but I briefly gave in to temptation a couple of times on US395 between Susanville and Alturas - 90-95 mph felt like the car was loafing, and 110 was no strain either. At these speeds, the car tracks like a train - no steering input required at all. Passing power [even at the 4000-5000 ft altitudes in the neighborhood] proved once again that, while no one kicks more hp out of bed, there is nothing wrong with the 2.6 liter V6. We never encountered even the slightest difficulty going around slower traffic - kick it down to 3rd and let the automatic do its thing to redline in 3rd and, if necessary, 4th. For all that, we actually averaged 28-30 mpg, well over the EPA highway number, and the best we've managed on any long trip. Really great stuff...

And, a brief plug for the new dealership in Reno - once there, I decided to have the oil changed [the FSS is calling for a B service at about 12k miles from the last service, and I wanted to do a change that would cut the interval from 12k miles to about 6k, just for this service cycle]. They took us with practically no notice, and did the work [including a couple of other small things] in short order, including the obligatory wash. The dealer there went from a hole-in-the-wall that was struggling 3 years ago, to a service-only operation run by the Von Housen group in Sacto, to a new suburban facility that is first class all the way [also owned by Von Housen]. By contrast, the BMW guy shares a facility with Volvo, and doesn't have either the stock nor the service area that MB can now offer....so it does really come down to what you value and what the local market offers. [I didn't ask them about loaners because it wasn't an issue for us.]
    I thought one of those cars has some kind of sensor or computer that determines when to light up the "maintenance required" light based on driving habits and driving conditions rather than at any specific mileage amount.
    Must not be the C230.
    The reason the intervals are so long now is because they are using synthetic oil and long-life engine coolant, which don't need replacing nearly as often. BMW only requires maintenance every 15K miles. There is a reminder message on the dash when the service is due, but it is still every 13K on the MB. The dealer suggested I bring it in after the first 6,500 for a no-charge check (just to be sure nothing was loose or defective from the factory), but only that one time between servicings. Pretty cool, really... and I couldn't be happier with the car itself so far. My wife has to pry me out of it to eat and sleep...
    While the car was worked on in Reno, I did have the chance to finally check out the changes for '05. I have to say I REALLY like the new interior a lot...not enough to trade our very low mileage car, but enough to know which I prefer. The only weakness seemed to be the change in the center console door, and how it opens - I like the design on our car better. Everything else favors the '05...
    Looks like I shook something up! ;)

Welcome aboard dprovons -- good post.

I just called the dealer service department to get hard numbers and they charge:

A - $185
    B - $385

So, as jrct9454 said, it's not that big a deal. Teaches me to believe anything a salesman trying to sell you something says -- the $1500 figure came from a salesman trying to sell me a left-over 2004.
  • jc2121jc2121 Member Posts: 5
    I don't think the salesman was misleading att all when he said that maintenance program is worth about $1500. It can easily be worth that since the intervals are maxed at 14K and decline according o your driving habits. i have heard it could be as low as 10K which would give you three A's and 2 B's. You also need to factor in sales tax that you are saving.

Personally, I would rather take the better price and sales incentives on a 2004 which can be close to a 10% savings over a 2005 model. There is not that much of a "noticeable" difference on the redesign and new electronics is alway risky.
  • jc2121jc2121 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

Why does the C230 sedan seem like a better value than the C240?

The C230 sedan is approximately $2k less accounting for the automatic transmission than the C240, BUT it seems to offer more value since it has more upgrades. The C230 has better front calipers and rotors, better exhaust, more expensive tires, larger rims, thicker stabilizer bars, and of course the supercharger.

Shouldn't the C230 cost more than the C240? Does it cost more to build? Does a V-6 cost that much more than a supercharged four?

Why does the C240 outsell the C230 when it seems overpriced?

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS. Is the new C class scheduled yet, or are people simply estimating that it will be the '07 model?
    I've replied on this topic at length, and won't repeat it all again...suffice to say you may regard the staggered tire sizes [different sizes front and rear] and Z-rated tires, harder ride, etc. as "better" - I feel exactly the opposite, and my recent road trip simply reinforced that feeling. I do not, and did not, want a "sports sedan" [I've been there and done that several times over], but a "touring car". Despite the pressure from the automotive press to continue to make each successive model closer to a track burner, MB still understands the difference. It's getting blurred at BMW - only the base 325 now meets my standards for ride and quiet - but's that's another story.

As for pricing - let's all share a big laugh here. Yes, the V6s [BOTH of them] actually cost less to produce than the the 4 cyl with the supercharger. Why should the 3.2 be priced, on a comparable equipment basis, $2-3k more than the 2.6? Why should either of them cost more than the 4 cyl? I surely don't know - these are marketing decisions...what the traffic will apparently bear...

And finally, no, I don't think that hp is or should be a big pricing differentiator - I would still pay more today for our 168 hp C240 than the C230 because the former is the car I want, not the latter. In the greater context of the marketplace, ALL German cars are probably overpriced, so it comes down to what each customer values and is willing to pay for.
    I think they are losing sales by over pricing the 240. Some may buy the C230 sedan instead, but those who don't want a 4 cylinder or don't want the sporty looks and ride of the C230, will just leave and get a different brand vehicle.
    At the least the 240 should have more of the popular optional equipment standard for the price.
  • jc21212jc21212 Member Posts: 2
    thanks,

Do you remember where and when you posted the original discussion? I would like to take a look at it.

I also wound up buying the c240 for my wife, but it just annoys me since I feel like I paid more for less car(from the same make).

I also specifically stated more "expensive" in referring to the tires. I agree with what you said about ride quality, but the rest of the items seem to upgrades.

"The C230 has better front calipers and rotors, better exhaust, more expensive tires, larger rims, thicker stabilizer bars, and of course the supercharger."

The C320 should be more since it comes with the comfora package and upgraded sound system as standard, plus the digital climate controls so the price difference is only about $1K-2K for 30% more HP which is very reasonable.

I also compared the C320 sport and luxury sedans. When you adjust for the transmission, the C320 sport sedan is about $700 more than the luxury model which makes more sense.

It also should be noted that the c240 sedan is the most popular C-class model. Are C240 buyers in effect paying a surcharge for popularity?

Thanks..
    The best and most succinct answer is this: we paid $30k for our C240 with metallic, automatic, and sunroof pkg. at the end of the 2002 model year [the '03s were just starting to trickle in], against an MSRP of $34.5k at the time. I needed neither the extra equipment nor the extra hp of the 3.2; what 320s were available at the time were actually $4-6k more expensive. "Better"? All depends on what you want and are willing to pay for.

These are matters of personal taste and very narrow preference - I always believe it's your money, you should get what you want. But don't look for a lot of rationality in pricing and marketing - there is a perception that the C230 is aimed at an entirely different audience than the C240. Certainly, in my case, that is true in spades.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the B class and hoping that pricing there will match up well against the Audi A3, and Mazda 5 - the only thing I want to improve on our car is the fore-aft legroom in back. The B should take care of that very well.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    The C230 Sport Sedan seems geared towards younger drivers with a bit more emphasis on performance. The C240 Luxury Sedan seems aimed at "traditional", often older, MB buyers.

Some of the equipment is better on the C230 and it's the items that make a difference in performance and safety.

The C240 has wood trim inside, a 4 spoke steering wheel, softer ride, and probably an additional convenience item somewhere.

The C230 is bringing new customers to MB. The C240 seems to cater to existing or luxury buyers, so they can charge more for it.
    MB marketing was pretty smart on this, I think. The 230 is less expensive to get younger, less affluent, buyers into a Mercedes -- but configured in such a way as to be undesirable to the older, more traditional MB buyer.

As for maintenance, my own experience is that I'll probably get the standard 13,000 between services and so will need two As and 1 B. That's $755, but I can probably get it done for less away from the dealer.
    I think the C230 Kompressor sedan is the best-kept secret in MB's considerable arsenal. When I bought my '05 a couple weeks ago, we checked the resale value of the 230 vs. the 240 and the 4cyl actually held a higher value. You guys are right that the ride is not as smooth as the 240, but the 230 is a surprisingly nice highway car, for such a sporty design. I was after a sports-car-like ride, which the 230 gives me in spades. But I took my first long drive in it this weekend (Knoxville to Nashville, about 3hrs in my SUV or 2.5 hrs in the 230) and it was very comfortable for our family of 4. Very solid and great passing power. When no one in the car was paying attention, I eased down on the throttle and no one even noticed that we were doing 105 for a few miles. Still quiet and smooth. And what a driver's car! Controls at your fingertips, smart features like the rain-sensing wipers and cruise stick... I am completely smitten by the car. Also, the salesmen I was working with had chosen the 230 over the 240 for his demo car. In his words, there was no comparison for the best of both worlds (sport vs. comfort) than you get in the 230.

The styling: lowered ride height, 17" wheels, crouched (almost lunging) design, stadium seating, great visibility out of the car, etc. just put the 230 over the top for me. It also had more back seat room and trunk space than the other cars I considered (Lexus IS300, BMW 325i, Audi A4, Saab 9-3 Arc). Combine all that with the high resale value and the best local dealership reputation and choice was easy. I'm kind of glad it's the unsung hero of the C-Class lineup (better to under-promise and over-deliver). Also, I believe that the '05 updates came in at the same pricing as the '04, which makes the loss of free maintenance even less important. Of all the cars I looked at, only BMW and Saab still offers the free maint. and Saab only offers it for 3 yrs/36K miles.
  • ken1361ken1361 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all, thanks to all your valuable advice I brought by 1st MB! Was wondering if you can help tell me:
    1) Was the deal reasonably good, and
    2) Any tips in maintaining the car

'05 C230K Sports Sedan
    Black Opal Metallic Exterior, Ash interior
    Sunroof/Moonroof package
    5-Speed Auto Transmission
    Heater front-seats
    Single CD (no changer)

Priced at $31295, plus $2577 tax and $175 fees - $1500 trade in equals $32547 out the door.

Thanks for all your help and advice again!

=)
  • myopinionmyopinion Member Posts: 11
    It seems to good to be true since it is $1k under invoice and their are no monetary incentives on '05 models. The dealer would be losing money even after the holdback on this deal according to Edmunds.

Total w/Options:

MSRP $34,510, INVOICE $32,147, TMV $33,578

What was the trade in? A detailed description would help. What state was this? Sometimes deals are structured to save a little on sales tax on trade ins.
This discussion has been closed.