Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Got a great review here on edmunds. Nice car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Just so you all know the C-Class will recieve all new engines for 2006, save the C55 AMG.

The C230 will have a V6 with 200hp, the C240 will become the C280 with a 227hp V6 and the C320 as you know will become the C350 with 268hp. All will go on sale sometime this summer. Naturally the dealers play dumb about this because they want to clear out existing stock.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050223.006

"Engine initiative: new six-cylinder units in the C-Class, E-Class and SLK-Class
    From spring 2005 the newly developed, powerful six-cylinder engines will also be available for the C-Class, E-Class and SLK-Class. These new power units better their predecessors by up to 32 percent in output and up to 27 percent in torque. With four completely new V6 engines, the C-Class takes a clear lead in its market segment where output and torque are concerned. Of the new engines, three are V6 petrol units with 150 kW/204 hp (C 230), 170 kW/231 hp (C 280) and 200 kW/272 hp (C 350). The C 320 CDI with the state-of-the-art V6 diesel engine (165 kW/224 hp) also joins the line-up.

In addition to the new E 350 (200 kW/272 hp) Mercedes-Benz is offering the new model E 280 in the E-Class from spring 2005. This is powered by a 170 kW/231 hp six-cylinder engine developing a torque of 300 Newton metres. The new V6 thus betters the previous E 240 by more than 30% in output and 25% in torque.

With the new models E 280 CDI (140 kW/190 hp) and E 320 CDI (165 kW/224 hp), the diesel range in the E-Class is set to be even more attractive and dynamic.

The new SLK 280 will be launched in the SLK-Class in spring 2005. Equipped with the 170 kW/231 hp V6 engine, this two-seater accelerates from standstill to 100 km/h in just 6.3 seconds. The combined fuel consumption of the SLK 280 is 9.7 litres per 100 kilometres.

M
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    jcat707 - do you have any regrets about having to take the pewter? I like my silver -- it's just common as dirt!

C350 - yes, nice car/engine but will there be that many sales? The C320 is already overpriced.
    After putting a mere 100 miles on my C240, I can tell you I have NO regrets about getting it instead of the C320.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I don't have any regrets about taking the pewter. I admit that at first I didn't really care for it but I have grown to love it. It looks nice and isn't as common as silver.
  • decaf4medecaf4me Member Posts: 3
    I owned my 2001 C320 until this month and quickly turned it in. Great mechanical car, not so great with all the electric and electronics. my advice: as soon as the mfr. warranty is done, trade it in.
    I had so many electronic glitches, all fixed courtesy of MB; nonetheless, when i asked if the issues were common, they would say no. But then i found that MB was sending special parts to correct issues with the headlights burning out frequently and other electric stuff. The one that sent me over the edge was the power seat modules drawing the battery down, costing me 2 batteries ($300) and then the modules ($900+). MBUSA was kind enough to reimburse half after I complained to their VP of QA in Montvale NJ ( highly reccomended approach).
    No longer a german car fan ( for now)
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Hello All,

I'm back after not reading or posting much for about 18 months. Sorry for my absence, but I took a part-time job teaching college courses online, which took lots of time.

My Y2K C230 is running well at only 18,000 miles: I love the car, no major problems so far. Stored for winters to keep the salt off of it. My best defense against rust on the C230 is using a '93 Toyota pickup now with 208,000 miles as a daily driver in the winter.

I have 3+ years left on the extended warranty, so will probably keep the MB until at least early 2008.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...and that reminds me I haven't reported lately, either.

Our very basic '02 C240 Automatic [with just the C2 pkg - as "stripped" as I could get it] went into service in Sept of '02, after being produced in the Bremen plant in January [it was delivered to the dealer in March, and just got moved around from one lot to another for 5 months].

We currently have 15,000 miles, and no new problems to report. The only issues surfaced in the first couple of months, and were quickly resolved - wheel alignment, which was noticeable on the acceptance drive and fixed within the first week, and a minor differential leak that was traced to a plugged vent tube and corrected on the first try. So far, knock on wood, this is all we have to report.

I am in love with the way the car behaves on the road, especially on extended trips, which occur infrequently with us. Our last real road trip was on October, and the car was just wonderful - plenty of passing power, smooth, quiet, 27-29 mpg at ridiculous speeds in the desert, great all-day seats. We have another long trip coming up next month....otherwise, the car gets used on the average of once a week for 20 miles or so. We can walk to just about everything from our condo in Vancouver WA, so we are now averaging only 5k-6k miles a year, even with long trips factored in..

Our warranty runs to Sept of '09, and at the moment, I can think of no reason why we might make a change before then. I would like a diesel, so we periodically flirt with the idea of a VW Passat or the new Jetta, but the real world cost of making a change, and the likelihood that nothing we could buy would equal the C's comfort on long trips, has dissuaded me. I was very interested in the MB B-Class, but their decision to pull the car from our market quashed that idea. We'd like a little more trunk space and a little more rear legroom, in a package not significantly larger than the C, which of course is what the B is all about - anyway, we are happy with the car [our 14th MB], and plan to keep it at least as long as the warranty runs - with our low annual usage, the car will probably has less than 40k miles on it when the extended warranty expires.
    I've read your post for years about Mercedes, always very informative.

I wanted to ask you what you think about upcoming C280, C350 and the V6 replacement for the C230? I think the C280 will have about 227hp if the standard minus 4 applies like it does on the C350 (272hp/268hp here).

Finally if you were to buy another Mercedes besides a C or B (if they decide to bring it here someday) which one would it be?

M
    Well, they're playing games again with the model designations as the new engines appear in the C; the actual displacements are 2.5, 3.0, and 3.5 [I think], all V6s with the new 4-valve heads. Even the entry-level car [which apparently, they are indeed going to call the C230, inexplicably] will have over 200hp, and with the new 7-spd automatic, it's all more - more power, better fuel consumption, cleaner exhaust; wish I could justify the cost.

The E diesel is the only thing in the line that would appeal to me besides what we already have, and that's $50k and up - and we are all done with $50k cars. I just wish we could have the full line of models, and equally, the full line of engines, in the NA market - a B with the turbo-diesel is what I really want, but....
    The new C350 Sport Looks like it is going to be a great car, lots of fun to drive. I'm a manual transmission junkie, so I can't wait to get my hands on one. Has anybody driven one yet or when will they be out?

At the NY Auto show, MB had an entry level SLK280 that was powered by I believe (not sure of the displacement here) a 3.0 Liter 24 valve V6 that produced somewhere in the neighborhood of 225hp. Will this be the new "base" engine in the C-Class for the US? Do you think MB will offer a C"280" Sport version?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

jrct9454,

Thanks for the reply. You might get a chance to get a B-Class diesel if the dollar/Euro situation swings back the opposite way. When the U.S. diesel fuel is cleaned up I'm sure Mercedes, BMW and Audi will all import some of their best diesels. They will be a nice alternative to hybrids, imo.

nyccarguy,

Nope, there won't be a C280 Sport. The C280 will offered as a wagon and sedan in luxury guise just like the current C240. Yes there will be a SLK280 with 227hp. Here is an piece of the article from GCF about Mercedes debuting these new models at Geneva this past March.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050223.006/mercedes/1.html

". With four completely new V6 engines, the C-Class takes a clear lead in its market segment where output and torque are concerned. Of the new engines, three are V6 petrol units with 150 kW/204 hp (C 230), 170 kW/231 hp (C 280) and 200 kW/272 hp (C 350). The C 320 CDI with the state-of-the-art V6 diesel engine (165 kW/224 hp) also joins the line-up."

Just subtract 4hp for the U.S. versions.

M
    I really think the C-Class has aged well and still looks fresh, especially the Sport Models. The 2.8 should have more than enough power (especially given our cop infested, overcrowded roadways here in the NYC area). I'd definitely check one out for my wife sometime next year. Sport Suspension, bigger wheels, and all the other Sport Model goodies are a must though. We're thinking of getting a BMW 325i via ED, but at over $40K for a C350 Sport...

• jon767jon767 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a Mercedes ML320 and E320 and currently own an E500 4matic, I must say that my 2005 C240 4matic is THE BEST MERCEDES OF THOSE THREE. WHY because it is able to blend all of the positive of the other three into a cheap, sporty, economic package. It is also really good in the snow and has better cornering traction then the M class even in the snow. my only regret is not buying the C320 because after driving the e500 and then driving my 240 it feels really lagged and slow, but once on the highway its fine.
  • interwebinterweb Member Posts: 4
    I've had numerous exterior bulbs have been burning out and the Air Conditioning has leaked four times (but dealership has been great in fixing them and given us great service).... Well just tonight the worse problem of all, does anyone know about this!?? The Car engine won't start!! The battery is fully charged and its not the alarm or the smartkey.. I also tried to jump the car to give it extra joice and it doesn't make a difference the battery still seems fine, the lights are all strong and radio is fine. What happens is when i turn the key to start the engine, there is a slight click noise and the lights go out for a brief split second. I never even hear the engine even trying to start...

Any ideas???
    Sure - the click noise is the key - probably means the starter relay is shot, or the starter itself. Don't know if the starter relay if fused, but I would check the owner's manual to be sure. If not, it's call the flat bed - unless you have the kind of skills to deal with this.
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Can anyone enlighten me on changes for next year?

Thanks,

Greg
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I read on another one of the boards (I think it was under future vehicles), that the there will be engine changes. The C230 is supposed to get a 2.5 liter V6, the C240 is supposed to become the C280 with a 2.8 liter V6 , and the C320 will become the C350 with the same 3.5 liter used in the E, M, and SLK-Class. Also, there will be no Sport or Luxury designation as ther was for the 2005 models. Instead there will just be sport packages. These are the major changes that I can remember. I think all the stuff is minor like changing options around. There are also some color changes.
    That's correct. Also, all three models get the new 7-speed automatic, either as optional or standard. In any case, there is no more C230"K" in the sense that the 1.8 4 cyl with the supercharger ["Kompressor"] will be history in our market.

"C230" = 2.5 V6, approx 200 hp
    "C280" = 3.0 V6, approx 225hp
    "C350" = 3.5 V6, approx 265hp

All hp estimates give or take a couple depending on emissions control decisions and exhaust tuning. HP up, emissions down, fuel consumption down, prices steady, win-win....
  • haaseshaases Member Posts: 1
    I wondered if someone has an opinion on a 2001 C320. A local dealer is offering it for $25K (in PA). It only has 10,000 miles but I'm concerned about some of the repair (esp electrical) costs that I've been reading about. The car is being offered by a Ford dealer who will give a 2 year warranty on the drivetrain. Obviously the car looks sweet in the pictures. I'm afraid if I drive it, I'll make a rash decision. Am I looking for trouble with this model year??? :confuse:
    Thanks for the information. Are the prices (especially on the C230) expected to stay about the same? And, on a different note, am I correct in thinking that I can't order a manual transmission with the 4matic (AWD) option?
    Prices will do their usual year-to-year increase, but I would look for no more than 1-1.5%.

To my knowledge, MB still does not plan to offer a manual transmission with AWD. In fact, for now, if you order AWD, you get the older 5-spd automatic, not the newer 7 spd.
    Not only is the price high, I would simply never buy any Mercedes from a Ford dealer. The drivetrain warranty is all but useless - it isn't the drivetrain that causes problems in these cars. The engine and transmission are, for the most part, pretty bullet-proof. The problems are all with the electronics - memory seats, keys, alarm systems, the fiber-optic bus the connects everything, fuel sending units, etc. None of this is going to be helped by a drivetrain warranty.

If you can find a dependable third-party warranty company to cover what matters in the car at a reasonable price [go online or start with the F&I mgr at a local MB store], then maybe....otherwise, I would pass....
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    A negative in the 2006 models is that MB is removing rear side airbags as standard and making them an option. These are the airbags to protect the abdomen, not side curtain airbags for the front & rear (these are still standard).

MB had been the only manufacturer to make the full airbag complement standard in all of its vehicles. Starting with the 2006 M-class and now the 2006 C-class, they're now making these safety features optional.

On the positive side, MB will make its new front active head restraints standard in all C-class models.
    Well, the rationale here is that the back seat is often occupied by children, and the side bags have the potential to do more harm than good. This is why virtually everyone else had, in the past, made them optional even when the rest of the cabin was covered by a plethora of inflatables.

In an era of endless lawsuits, this is still another example where the corporation is doing the math and deciding what leaves them with the least potential for grief.
    Well, the rationale here is that the back seat is often occupied by children, and the side bags have the potential to do more harm than good. This is why virtually everyone else had, in the past, made them optional even when the rest of the cabin was covered by a plethora of inflatables.

I'm afraid that theory really doesn't hold water, since the rear side airbags were standard equipment before in the C-class. They didn't suddenly become unsafe for children, and lawyers didn't suddenly wise up to the lawsuit potential.

MB has long insisted that their rear side airbags are safe for children. NHTSA's testing has demonstrated that rear side airbags in general are safe when children are seated properly. It's laughable what NHTSA had to do to "cause injury" to the dummies. They positioned the dummy with its back against the door, across the seat, and obviously unbelted.

AFAIK, NHTSA has never logged one valid incident where a child was hurt by rear side airbags.

The E-class still includes rear side airbags as standard. Obviously there's no safety issue there, and E-class owners can probably afford better lawyers ;-).

It's obvious that the omission in the 2006's is a subtle price increase. For the 2005's, they dropped the free maintenance program to get the same effect.
    ...just offering the rationale. BMW has a brand new car in the E90 3 series, and they don't offer them as standard, either.

If you're that concerned, you should let them know how you feel, and get a corporate response,
    ...just offering the rationale. BMW has a brand new car in the E90 3 series, and they don't offer them as standard, either.

But BMW has never offered them as standard equipment, so it's no surprise that a brand new 3-series doesn't have them standard either.

My main point is that it's not a safety issue, since other MB's continue to have them as standard equipment.. And the ones that now don't have them standard, had them as standard equipment for years.

BTW, the rear side airbags will continue to be standard on 2006 C-class models in Canada.

Actually, rather than complain to MB USA, I've emailed them asking why someone WOULDN'T want to order the rear side airbags, now that they're an option. It'll be interesting to see what they say.
    Has anyone sampled (or read a review of) the new seven-speed transmission?

Thanks.

Greg
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I'm inclined to think that jrct is correct in his supposition that MBUSA was motivated by safety (&, equally important, legal) concerns when it decided to make rear side bags optional.

Not only does BMW make this feature an option, it ships any cars so equipped with the airbags deactivated. If you buy one of these cars, you must then make a trip back to the dealership after you've taken delivery of the car to have the bags activated. Before this is done, you must sign a waiver. At least this was the procedure in 2001 when I bought my 330i.
    But if it's a safety issue, why still offer rear side airbags as standard in other models? It's not as if the C-class has suddenly become unsafe with rear side airbags. The 2006 doesn't have major structural changes and has had rear side airbags standard for all six previous model years?

Sadly, MB USA hasn't responded to my question on it. I sent it last Thursday.
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    I have driven a BMW 525, a Lexus ES 300 and a Mercedes C240. The Mercedes was by far the worst car of the three. While the car does have a nice fit and finish and a quiet ride, it is just too under-powered for the money. 168 hp was ridiculously low. The Lexus was the best car of the three, actually more like a MB E class. The C class is for those desperate to impress and have that MB thing on their wheels. A cheap imitation. I say if you can't afford an E class Benz, get a Lexus.
    Well, as the happy owner of a C240, these are matters of opinion.

In any case, the C240 is replaced for the '06 model year by the C280, with a new 4-valve head and 3.0 liter displacement, making over 220 hp. Better fuel consumption, too. Same price and equipment.

I've never been "desperate to impress" anybody, and certainly not you.

I think the new IS250, C280, 325, and G35 are all worthy cars with good points and not-so-good. None is perfect, and in each case, there are tradeoffs. And the C is not intended to compete against the BMW 5er, for a variety of reasons.

The ES' main weakness is its FWD bias - never liked the feel of it compared with our C240, which has been a superb long-distance tourer. It could use more space in the back seat and trunk, but that is true of all of the RWD alternatives under $35k. The ES solves that problem, but so does a Camry for a whole lot less money.

This is the second time today I've felt it necessary to respond to one person or another who is absolutely sure they know why everyone buys a particular car - and is willing to tell us that we should do. I say, vive la difference - pay your money and take your choice. No one has to be put down because of that choice.
    I understand that the C-Class has been updated for the 2006 model year with new engines and transmissions, and that a redesigned C-Class is coming out in 2007 for the 2008 model year. The "artist's rendering" of the 2008 looks pretty sleek, as it takes styling cues from the CLS.

Does MB normally refresh or redesign models every couple of years? It seems odd to me that they would make fairly major changes so close together. Does it make sense to wait for the redesigned C for 2008?
    Everything is happening right on schedule. Mainstream models like the C sedans are on a 7-year cycle for a complete redesign, so the '07 calendar year for an '08 model year complete redo is on the button. Yes, the car looks nice, though I am a particular fan of the current body, for that matter.

And yes, it is common for them to do both mid-cycle facelifts [in this case, from the '04s on with the new interiors and wheels] and complete drivetrain swapouts [yes, the '06s get three new drivetrains, all V6s - 2.5 badged C230, 3.0 badged as C280, and 3.5 badged as 350]. Both the engines and transmissions [only on rwd cars - the 4-matics stick with the old transmission] are indeed new, though the "newness" in the case of the engines is not that radical. Basically, they took the old block and added new heads [4 valves per cylinder] and new intake manifolds with continuously variable valve timing.

No reason for them to wait for the new body to put in the new drivetrains. The new ones don't cost significantly more to produce, have more power AND lower emissions AND lower fuel consumption, and the engine mounting points are the same. Win-win.
  • 2006c2302006c230 Member Posts: 5
    First, you cannot compare C class with 5 series of BMW and Lexus ES. They are different league. I think you should be comparing with with 3 series and IS class.
    ES and 5 series would be more close to E class.

Second, I do not think anyone would drive a car to impress someone unless they are teenager trying to get a date. Anyone who drives C, E, S, or what ever never impressed me one bit. So, I drive C class and I do not expect anyone to be impressed. I drive C because I like the car and the feel of it.
  • kozmokozmo Member Posts: 6
    Hi all

I found a comfy 1999 C280 through my credit union at $16,300 with 61k miles.

the car runs good and feels solid...is this year and car a good buy....? or a good-bye?

I've gotta get a car this week so your experience suggestions are appreciated.

BTW: I'm comparing it to:
    2001 Saturn SC2 Coupe 3D - 40k miles
    1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan 4D - 61k miles
    2000 Mazda Miata MX-5 Convertible 2D - 24k miles

which one is the better car for the buck vs repair costs?
  • newownernewowner Member Posts: 18
    Have a mechanic check the Benz out and if all looks well, I would go with it. Saturn should be last on your list. Hondas are good too, just depends on what you are looking for in terms of comfort and reliability.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Realize that parts and service for the C280 will be far, far more expensive than any of the alternatives that you listed. In particular, the Miata and Civic will likely be far more reliable and less expensive to own. Can you afford repair bills of a couple a thousand dollars? I'm not saying that you will have those on a regular basis with the C280, but it is certainly a possibility.
  • c280manc280man Member Posts: 7
    I have heard contradictory statements regarding Mercedes offering a bluetooth kit for older cars and a bluetooth option for new cars. MBUSA would not provide any clarification to me. Does anyone know whether Mercedes will offer a kit and, if so, which model year cars it will work with? What about Mercedes plans to offer bluetooth capabilities on new cars? Is there a third party kit that can attach to the Motorola cell phone outlet on Mercedes that will allow any bluetooth-enabled cellphone to communicate in the same manner as the Motorola phones currently communicate? If so, are users of this system generally satisfied with its performance? Thanks.
  • d46d46 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I am a new MB owner (2005 C240 4MATIC). I purchased my car last week Monday, and after reading some posts regarding electrical gremlins in certain MBs, I have been thinking whether I should purchase an extended warranty. Is it common for most MB owners to purchase an extended warranty? Is it due to the electrical problems I've been reading about or are there other mechanical issues common to the C240? Do you have any idea on the average price for an extended warranty or know where this info can be found? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
    At this stage in the game, I know of no special mechancial issues related to the W203 cars. The worst I've heard is the occasional noisy front suspension bushings, but most of the rest of what got the car in trouble early on has been taken care of by way of running production changes. The electronics of ALL German cars should be considered suspect - they all buy from the same suppliers, and all have defective approaches to quality control and overseeing production engineering. They need to adapt Japanese habits, or start buying from altermative suppliers, but seem reluctant to do either.

For these reasons, yes, I recommend the official MBUSA extended warranty. How much it costs depends on what you buy - we got the full-boat 3 yr extension to 100k [7/100 total] for less than $1700 in 2003 for a 2002 C240. The least expensive source appears to be the dealer in Chico, CA - use the MB website to get a contact.

Prices have no doubt gone up, but there are a few of things to keep in mind:

-The most complicated and trouble-prone of the electronic doo-dads are specifically not covered under the extended warranty [from year 5 on]. These include the notoriously awful COMAND system and the sound system [radio, CD, etc.]. Everything else that matters is covered.

-You can buy the extended warranty from ANY dealer at ANY time within the first year of ownership; at day 366, that opportunity goes away. Thus, you have time to shop around for the best price, as long as you don't exceed the first year.

-Dealers will like to tell you there is one price for the warranty. Nonsense. There is an "MSRP" just like the car itself, but any dealer is free to discount it as much as they desire to build business. My selling dealer agreed to match the lowest price I could find anywhere, and they stuck to that bargain at the 11th month. Shop around. Start with your local dealer, then give the folks at Chico a try - that will give you the basis for a comparison. Site rules seem to prohibit my telling you the name of the F&I lady at the Chico dealership, but you'll figure it out.
  • mdamronmdamron Member Posts: 2
    Unlike you, I still own my 2001 C320, I have a major problem with my electric system. My car is garage kept and not driven for several days at a time. If I don't start and drive the car daily the car will drain all the power from the battery down to were the door locks won't even work. The car has been in the MB shop now for over 4 months (with them trying all sorts of relays and seat modules with no success, and they want me to pay for all these trial and errors since they say electrical parts are none returnable) any suggestions that I can use to get my car fixed. I thought that my next step may be an attorney.
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    I posted this on the C350 vs. C280 board as well, but figured it might be better here:

Right now, I drive a 2004 Volvo S60 T5. I'm trying to decide whether I want to purchase one of the new 2006 C-class vehicles to replace it. The new engine/transmission combo for the 2006 C-class line is making me give it serious consideration. I'm trying to find out if there's enough benefit to make the move. I'd welcome all opinions!

The tough part is that the Volvo S60 T5 is perfectly fine. For some quick comparisons (the first number is the Volvo figure, the second is the 2006 MB C280):

Cylinders: 5 vs. 6
    HP: 208 vs. 228 (2.5L vs. 3.0L)
    Torque: 236 ft lbs 1500 RPM vs. 221 ft lbs 2700 RPM (the Volvo is turbocharged...)

I like the Volvo's ride, power, and smoothness. What I don't like is that the S60 is not quite as compact. The turning radius for the S60 is 38.7" (the C280 touts 35.3" - which would be better for me in the area I live). The width of the S60 is 71.4" vs. the C280's 68.0".

Yet these are minor points - given my car is only 2 years old.

Thoughts? Opinions? Other facts?

TIA.
  • karlzunikarlzuni Member Posts: 20
    Question for the group. Just looked at C230 for my wife. Is it true that in the 2006 C230 the only all leather color is black? TIA
    The ride of the C, as well as smoothness and overall refinement, have it all over the Volvo, at least as far as I'm concerned. The rest of it is economics and what your priorities are.

The C280 is the value in the W203 line; in my opinion, the C350 is way too expensive for what you get - will be a great used car 4 years from now, but too pricey new.
    Yeah, for whatever marketing reasons, the C230 [which for this year actually has a 2.5 liter version of the new family of 4-valve V6s] is only being sold here as a "Sports Package". And yes, that means only a black interior.

It also means a firmer ride, very low profile summer z-rated tires that will be gone in less than 20k miles, and staggered tire sizes [different sizes for the front and rear tires] that can't be rotated. Everyone's tastes are different, but I think this is silly. The C280 makes more sense to me, for not much more money if you exercise some restraint with the options.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is that you can have any color interior you want, as long as it's.......black...
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    Hmmm.... different size tires for the front and rear; wild.

Anyway... thanks for the update on the new C230. The new C280 doesn't have a sport edition; only the luxury edition (which is fine for me). To go the next rung up, the new C350 has both - but you're getting up in the $40,000 range.

I've researched the C280 - as it would most likely be the next car for me - from what I know so far. There are quite a few choices in options, styles, colors etc.

Overall... I'd guess the whole C-class is a better value in 2006 with the new engine and transmission. Its pushing into the E-class territory a little more, but with much lower prices.
    Well-equipped C280s have MSRPs in the $37-38k range, but many are less, and in any case, dealers are already discounting in competitive markets. I believe the C350 to be overpriced and simply a poor buy, especially relative to the performance available in the C280.

If the C230 were offered in our market without the sports package, it would be a very attractiive buy; as it stands, I wouldn't be interested.

All of the Germans, but especially BMW and MB, force things on you with their "sports packages" that I find unacceptable, the most obvious of which is staggered tire sizes, often with unidirectional tread designs and tire compounds that will be gone in 15k miles. Lexus is about to do the same thing with the new IS350. This makes the car great on the track, and seems to impress the people who write for the car magazines [I read them all], but doesn't do much for real people driving in the real world. I avoid them like the plague.

I can get a C280 with just met paint and the fold-down seats [no sunroof and no other useless junk] on EU delivery for $31.5k. Right now, unless something changes between today and next spring, that is the default plan.
  • rvincentirvincenti Member Posts: 4
    Greetings -- Just joined the forum. I have a 2002 C240 sedan. It will need a brake job soon -- 69,000 miles (all interstate) on original brakes (I drive easy). Am experienced restorer of vintage German and British cars, and am considering doing it myself, especially since local dealer quoted me $650 for front pads and rotors, and another $560 for rear pads and rotors. Before I tackle this job, are there any unique things I should be aware of, or are Benz's much the same as Porsches and other Euro brands? I have found factory replacement front pad sets as little as $70, and rears for $55, with front rotors going for $50 each and rears for $35 each. At those prices, paying a dealer over $1,200 seems almost criminal. Thanks in advance.

Ross
  • magrezzamagrezza Member Posts: 11
    I'm about to custom order a 2006 C-230--my other serious consideration is the Acura TL (I'm a BMW survivor of TWO painful long-term disasters) I'm looking for compelling info. to convince me one way, or the other, other than "It's a Mercedes". Pricing is nearly the same on my quite equipped 230--could go with the C-350, but seems silly to buy a Mercedes without all the "bells and whistles" which would put the car out of my budget :confuse: ....thoughts anyone? :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.