Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    i found all people at Prestige that I've had occasion to talk with as courteous and professional... what I would expect in dealing with this level of purchase..
    re the previous comments about mb or bmw being a prestigeous purchase.. to many people in the car market that can only consider a gm..or ford as the max for their budget... even a entry level mb or bmw has the aura of prestige.
    I bought this for myself as a 50th birthday present...HEY, DONT I DESERVE IT?????? hahah
  • alanmakcaalanmakca Member Posts: 12
    I like the 5 series in principle but I wouldn't be partial to a "stripper" 525. With a BMW, you're paying a huge premium for the intangible qualities (e.g., performance engineering and dynamic driving characteristics). For a driving enthusiast, the seat of the pants thrill of a BMW may be worth it. I picked an MB because I think that it is 1)better built, 2) has more enduring style and 3) they are a better value (which I suspect is also a concern of yours).

BMWs typically get less on resale because of the stereotype that BMW drivers are aggressive drivers. Thus, it is assumed that the cars have lived a harder life. How many tuner kits and enthusiast magazines are there for BMW vs. M-B? BMW owners are drivers - MB owners are motorists.

Did I just insult myself? :)
  • jonoratojonorato Member Posts: 22
    ...this weekend, to take a look at my C scheduled for build in March, because I was getting tired of looking at pictures, and the dealer gave me a brochure titled, "C-Class The Collection," which is a series of add-ons you can get.

Two that interested me most were the wood-trimmed steering wheel, and the 7-spoke wheels, "Style B," much cooler than the standard C240 rims. Does anyone out there know about how much these toys cost? I'm also wondering if they can install them at the factory if I decide to pull the trigger on either or both, before my build date. I was on my way out the door when the salesman handed me the brochure, so didn't have any questions ready to ask him at the time. Plus, I didn't buy the car at this dealer...it's just the closest one to my house.

It sure is a beautiful car. No regrets about that.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I know the MBUSA website has prices for the steering wheels at least (and probably the rims) in the "build your own" section. I think the steering wheels are around $700-800.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    www.clairparts.com also has prices as does

http://shopmercedesparts.com/mercedes.html

I've ordered items online from both places, the shopmercedes place is cheaper and has MUCH cheaper shipping costs, but the one time I ordered from clair I got the items much faster, so there's a trade off. Good luck with the C, you're going to love it!!!
    ...but I couldn't find the rims. That may be a dealer installed option.

$800 is a bit steep for me. Darn. Looks good, too. But I think if I had to pick one, I'd take the rims. They're the only thing I don't really like about the exterior of the new C.

Thanks for the tip!
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Drew, Yes I would be interested in speaking with WSJ reporter. I did "cancel" the VDC. I was shocked at the Lease rate about $512 per month (15,000 mi/yr.) $2000 down. The C-240 will be about $450 per month with $3500 down. I also liked the longer 48 month / 50K warranty with MB versus 36 month / 36K Subaru warranty. We may still get the LL Bean as a 2nd car, can't see putting my Rocky Mountain Hammer MTB bike on the C's roof, LOL. (Gotta love Rocky Mountain bikes from Vancouver B.C. !!). Found it very strange that VDC did not come with total Car Care package (oil changes & routine service included with LL Bean). VDC did not even have security system as standard, LL Bean does. Impressed with the H-6 engine, after 3 years with a "noisey" H-4 !!.

But I am really looking forward to the C 240 6 speed!! My father owned a 59 Vette fiberglass hardtop convertible and then a white Lotus Elan, so I feel pretty good about the 2001 C Class MB.
    Another 5 inches of snow overnight here in Jersey, no regrets on the Subaru Outback !
    Ian
  • spndxspndx Member Posts: 36
    For all of you out there discussing the aftermarket wheels, has anyone had the dealer install them?

My dealer mentioned that when my car comes home from European Delivery, he can hook me up with the parts department to price a new set of AMGs 'net the value of my factory wheels and tires'.

Does anyone have an idea of what is the trade-in value of a new set of standard C-Class wheels?
    rain,snow...240 handled both well
  • bigbaddadbigbaddad Member Posts: 14
    I talked to my dealer about switching wheels on my C240. The wheels I was interested in were approx $300 each. The dealer was willing to give me a whopping $37.50 for each of my wheels. Not a fair deal in my mind. He said some people have turned their 'old' wheels into garden hose holders? There ended my wheel search.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Most dealers don't have a wheel trade-in system, which is why they're only willing to give such a low price for the original wheels. What many people have done is sell their original wheels and tires on E-bay instead. You'd be surprised at the number of people looking for OEM wheels.
    Don't forget that your dealer will have to remove the existing steering wheel, take out the airbag module, and place it back into the new wheel.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about wood/leather steering wheels. While they look good on some vehicles, I've noticed that while driving on a sunny day, the sunlight can reflect onto the shiny wood trim at certain angles, and directly into one's eyes.
    I have forwarded your info. (including what vehicles you had before the C) to the appropriate persons. One or more of you may be contacted (via e-mail) sometime soon.

Thanks!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    While waiting for my C320 to arrive, I also had my name on a 525 that was on it's way as well. Obviously I ended up with the C, mostly because it's a new and more technologically sophisticated care, where as the 5 series is now outdated and due for a change in the next year or so. However, this was by no means a stripped 525 I would have been getting. It had virtually everything on it that I would have wanted for virtually the same as I paid for the C320. That's because the MBW folks were dealing quite a lot on their prices. So, when you say it's a stripped 525, I'm wondering if you are just going by the sticker price, rather than the actual price you would pay?
  • mongo11mongo11 Member Posts: 14
    Try tirerack.com for they really know their stuff. They recommend the correct size out without the speedo error. The 240/320 can go to a 225/40 18in wheel tire combo with many great looking wheels that are not "boy-racer" in looks.
    I would guess that the ride might be a bit firmer depending on the tires.

On another note, my C320 with 800 miles has been in for the noisy brakes...though they still make noise, just not as much as before. We are still trying to understand the drivers seat bottom cushion pivoting movements that occur when going over moderate bumps and dips in the road. Everything was retorqued but that slow dampened movement still is present.

I finally saw a 240 with the standard leather interior and must admit that I wonder why I sprung for the full leather at more than an extra grand.

FYI,Mercedes USA tells me that the "coolant" temp guage cannot be reprogramed from Celcius to Farenheiht.

My dealer has been outstanding in helping get my MB up to specs. Just hoping not to know the service team on a first name basis.

Thanks to all of you for offering your input.
  • boiadeboiade Member Posts: 15
    I picked up a Desert Silver (lava Leather)C-320 today with the convenience package that includes the sunroof and windshield sensor and traded in my 97 540I. I think the company paid about 900 under list. Which in the DC-Baltimore area is pretty good, I think.

As someone said it is more of a "motorist's" car than a "driver's" car. It has a softer ride (by no means uncomfortably so, it handles well) and the lack of a big tach looking you in the face (the BB tach sits on the left side of the cluster and is small) gives you a different feeling than a 540I. It (the C-320) has a tremendous number of features for the price.

Given the price constraints I was under I think it is a better value than a 3 Series and even with decent discounts a manual 2001 525 with equivalent amenities would have been more expensive and would have had about 30 less HI (and about 350 more pounds to push).

I guess I am saying, as a long-time BMW owner, that this BB appears to be a good car. I have to say, however, that if the three BMW dealers had tried a little carder, I would have probably stuck with BMW. One of the dealers was the dealer (and salesman) I purchased the 97 540I from. Since it was a European delivery I paid the asking price then, you'd have thought they would have tried a little carder to keep me as a customer. If the BB proves reliable, I'll probably go back to BB first in 3-4 years.

I can also say that the BB dealerships I visited were a little friendlier (not haughty at all) and seemed to be staffed with a more capable (trying to make the deal work) group of sales people than the BMW dealerships. Unfortunately, the BMW dealerships (2 of which I have purchased 4 previous BMW) seemed to have become more similar to "normal" US and Japanese dealerships, i.. lots of salesman "waiting" to pounce. They were also quick to use the "impossible" deal technique and the "we can't keep these cars on the lot" so don't expect a "deal" maneuver
    Congrats on your new C!

In case you're wondering why "MB" is changed to "BB", it's because of the spell checker. Try not using that. :-)

Drew
    Host
    Drew,

Hahaha! I was wondering what all those BBs were about. How do explain the "harder" to "carder" transformation, spellchecker again???? LOL

Thanks, I think I'll enjoy the "little" car.

P.S. the ability to change many of the "convenience" features through the computer may be common today, but it is a great feature that the C-320 has.

Fred
    What do you think of the power comparison between your old 540 and the new C?
    If you slam the pedal on the 540I there is no comparison with the C-320. I have only driven the C-320 from the dealership to the office then home, and I didn't have "power withdrawal". I think that the C-320 has more than enough power for US driving. I picked up the 540 in Europe and drove it there for about two months and used the motor often, when I got it back to the US, I think I used the motor maybe 2-3 times in the 40 months I owned it in the US to get around pesky big SUVs that wouldn't let me get in their lanes in city traffic situations. I think the C-320, will provide that performance. I'll know tomorrow after my commute into DC. LOL
    Keep us posted on your new BB LOL!
  • glaxglax Member Posts: 10
    Test drove a C-240 on Saturday with the standard seats. Went to a dealer further north today to test drive one on some snow (I found an unplowed parking lot that had packed down snow and I drove some semi-circles with no problem) but I noticed that my elbow kept on knocking into the door when I turned the wheel. It was really uncomfortable and I hadn't noticed it on Saturday. This one had the full power seats. After leaving the dealer, I decided to go back to the dealer I visited on Saturday and drive the car with the standard seats again. I didn't seem to have as a pronounced problem with my elbow on this one. Am I crazy or could there be a difference due to the seats. Has anyone had problems steering due to not enough elbow room. I'm only 5'8". Thanks.
  • ojcojc Member Posts: 31
    OK, so the brake IS an 'emergency' brake, but in a manual tranny, one uses the brake constantly. It is very strange not to have a handbrake with a manual---doesn't this bother anyone?
    You'll get used to it. As far back as I can remember. all standard transmission MB vehicles (except the 190-series) have had foot brakes. Even with the auto tranny, one should apply the foot brake when parked, so as to minimise stress on the transmission parking pawl. I myself always apply the foot brake when the transmission is in P, or while I'm waiting at a long traffic light in neutral.

Drew
    Host
  • ojcojc Member Posts: 31
    OK, so the brake IS an 'emergency' brake, but in a manual tranny, one uses the brake constantly. It is very strange not to have a handbrake with a manual---doesn't this bother anyone?
    I wonder if they use the foot emergency brake in Europe. In stop and go traffic on very steep inclines most (in Europe) are taught to use the handbrake as the gas pedal and clutch occupy your feet. Very few places on the East Coast of the US where it might become necessary, but coming out of steep parking garages might be tricky with a manual without a hand brake on occasion
  • portlanderportlander Member Posts: 6
    It did drive me nut for a couple of days getting used to the foot brake. For an automatic transmission car, I think it's fine. But for a manual transmission car, in order to apply the foot brake, I have to take my foot off the clutch; that means I have to shift to neutral with the right foot on the brake while trying to press the foot brake with my left foot. In stop and go uphill traffic, it's quite an exercise to get the sequence right without thinking. Needless to say I have stalled the car a few times because I forgot to shift to neutral while applying the foot brake. For me, it's slower than having a hand brake. I guess I'll get used to it.
  • thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    Yes I believe the service advisors are headed for lunch or something when they see me rolling in about C240 brake squeal. Their fatal mistake was violating Customer Service Rule #1 on my first two visits: The Customer Is Always Right. Another favorite of mine also got forgotten: Comebacks Go To The Front Of The Queue. Either way, the sales staff did a great job and continues to be an advocate for me in the service dept. The service dept, at least the two avoiders, er um ADVISORS, aren't worth $1.75 bus fare to send home.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Baby Benz!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I just got word from a German MB (and BB...) dealer regarding brake squeal. He claims that they have seen that before, and that there is no remedy! It is the asbestos-free OEM brake pads, which get the rotors to vibrate and emit a high-pitched noise. This behavior is especially pronounced on vehicles with a/t, and will only change when the pads age or under higher pedal pressure, not much of a help, if you ask me...

Concerning the parking brake, with a manual, you wil just have to learn to do the "step dance" on the pedals. It might take a while, but standard transmission-experienced European drivers use the hand brake exclusively to whirl their cars into parking spots across the street doing a 180 degree spin... ...that's why it's called parking brake after all...

Show-off Tarik
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    a/t stands for auto Transmission or something else ? If it is due to the asbestos free brake pads, there must be other OEMs. Wonder who Audi and BMW use ?
  • spndxspndx Member Posts: 36
    It's interesting that I never thought about this when I test drove the car. There's no hand release under the left side dash like my '97 a/t?

I smell burning clutches....
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    I take ownership of my C320 with A/I in a couple of days. If the squealing breaks problem shows up on my car I plan to very direct with the dealer and, if need, I will contact MB USA. A brand new $45K car should not squeal. Period. And no one better use that 'first year production car' line on me.
    The decision point between a MB and a BMW for my wife and me was very close. And I have zero loyalty. Customer Satisfaction is earned.
    MB needs to be reminded that, especially for a first time buyer like myself, first impressions are very very important. I would strongly recommend to 'Tarik' to contact the service manager at his dealership and if no satisfaction is obtained, then call MB USA and turn up the heat. Be direct, professional and persistant. And write letters and send them registered. Go up the chain until your problems are addressed.

MB must 'own' production problems and parts problems and fix them before the first benz someone buys is also their last.

I am not angry or hostile, but I firmly believe that a company (especially MB!) must be held accountable for any production issues.

Excellent customer service and a high quality automobile is an owners right, not something I 'have to live with'.
    there are just as many here that have little or no problem with our c's.. and... generally speaking... my impression is, that when and where problems have occurred...theyve been attended to..
    complaints about bmw service and lack of attitude are in no shortage. same for such competitors as acura and audi...
    again ,if i was having persistant brake squeal.. id be raising the roof too until it was solved!
  • norcalmikenorcalmike Member Posts: 25
    With the new C Class being the first with struts in the front, any chance the struts are vibrating when the brakes are applied? I know nothing about mechanical engineering. Just a thought.
    Uh, aren't the shocks supposed to be designed to absorb vibration? ;-) The C-class's front suspension is an independent 3 link design with coil springs over gas pressurised shocks, so it's not your typical run of the mill MacPherson strut design.

Drew
    Host
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I appreciate your concern, but since I don't own a C-Class, the issue doesn't affect me directly. However, I feel with everyone who has to put up with service advisors and salespeople who try to give you "the line". Go and make yourself heard!

All I was trying to do is find out about the handling of these complaints in Germany, which obviously is no different.

As so often before, ownership satistaction first depends on the sales crew, later in (the car's) life it is the service department which is in charge of keeping or losing a customer.

Depressed Tarik
  • thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    My thoughts exactly. Brake squeal is not a "feature" of MB brakes nor is it a "normal" condition. Anyone that buys that line is a complete sucker and deserves to live with the noise!
  • anodizadosanodizados Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Im from Mexico and just got a 2001 Silver C-200 Kompressor. It has a 4 cylinder engine, but carries 163 HP. I was between the BMW 325i, and took them both for a test drive. The BMW handles great, and i thought it was an easy decision, but i was wrong. I decided to get the benz because it handles as good as the BMW and has better interiors and a much better line.

I prefer luxury before performance, and the BMW is not as luxurious. I put down $42,500 for the car and get happier every day i drive it that i got it. About the squealling breaks, its the cold season and I hear it too, but after about a couple of kilometers, when the breaks get warm, the squealling stops. I read the whole selection of messages before I made my decision and all of your messages helpes so thanks a lot.

Does anyone konw where and if i can get xenon lights on my car?
    I think it might be an expensive proposition to install Xenon lights if you did not buy them as an original option.

Fred
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Tarik,

I was wondering if you knew anything about the AutoTour that they have in Germany, where you tour MB, BMW, Porsche AG. It is a two week trip that takes you all around germany. My father and I have been meaning to take this trip, and we finally found time this year.

I have seen an article in the WSJ about this tour, but I cant seem to find it any more.

I searched on the web and this is the only one that I find, but their site is down...

http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=AUTOTOUR+germany+site:www.about-australia.com

Any Ideas?

Robert

• donsturdydonsturdy Member Posts: 4
    Curious-can anyone provide cost on what they paid for a C240? Dealer rep offered a $500.00 discount off the MSRP(through the internet). Is this reasonable or ... Also appreciate any info on GPS, CD changer. Finally engine performance with the auto. Thanks in advance for the info.
    ...after tax (6.5%) and the generous $420 discount I got was $40,900, out the door. I ordered C1, 2, 3, and 4, along with Bose audio, and K2, not the voice activated phone system.

After dealing with three dealers, I wound up buying from the autobytel dealer, 90 miles from the house. The $400 wasn't a big deal, but the principle was, at least to me.

If the squealing breaks were a "feature" of their composition, why isn't everyone experiencing it? Sounds fishy to me. I won't accept it.

Mine's not due until April, so I'm knocking vigorously on whatever wood is handy hoping they have this figured out by the time I take delivery.

Can't wait, though.
    I don't know about tax rates, but I just leased a C-320 with C2 package and metallic paint (desert silver?) with a total capitalization cost of $40,987 including taxes (5%) and tags. It was off the lot with 16 miles on it. I think it is a mistake to order cars, it will always cost more. It didn't get the CD or phone but since I use Nextel I didn't want the phone. My strategy was to tell them what my company's allowance was for the monthly lease price could be and they worked it out.

Oh, there is a new site on ezboard for 2001+ C-Class, no content yet, but it's dedicated to the C-Class.

http://pub50.ezboard.com/bmercedes2001oncclassowners

• fcossefcosse Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my Capri blue/Ash C240, C2, 6-speed, CD, in June. It was delivered on December 1, 2000. I really enjoy the car, and I, too have been a BMW loyalist with 3 BEEMERS in the last 11 years. I sold my 5 series when the "C" came in. I am happy there is another choice for RWD, manually shifted high-line cars!

I am also experiencing the brake squeal, since about 500 miles. Sadly, My C class has been living at the dealership for the last two weeks, and will be there at least another week for repairs. My lil' "C" has a problem which causes a full discharge of the battery if the engine is not run for 4 days or more. One or two days, no problem. They say the problem is in the overhead console and the replacement is still on order from Germany. It now has only 1100 miles on it.....
    I'm getting a little worried. I really like this car and hope this will be the only major problem!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    What year was your 5 series and how does the new C compare? Why did you select it over a newer 5 series?
  • stockboystockboy Member Posts: 6
  • fcossefcosse Member Posts: 2
    It was 1990, Glacier blue, 5-speed. I think the "C" is just as good as the BMW in some ways,and better in others. The interior of the 240 is great,as is the BMW. The BMW had a lot less orange peel in the paint, not to say the 240 has a bad paint job, just that the BMW's I have had (a 325i, 323i and 525i) have all had glass smooth paint. The 240 is quieter than any BMW I've been in short of a 750. I have no problems with the decision to buy it. I know Mercedes makes a different car than BMW. I am no longer a 9/10, on the edge driver, and as such don't really notice any difference in the handling. I only wish I get it back soon!
  • stockboystockboy Member Posts: 6
    I'am about to take delevery of my new clk320 cab and wonder if the cd changer from my 97 E420 can be installed in the new car. Any info about this swap or what new changer is compatable would be greatly appreciated.
  • jeffk7jeffk7 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 C320. I live in the Maryland suburbs but traveled to New Yoak City to pick up this incredible car. After scouting all the dealerships in my area, and not wanting to order one and wait 3-4 months, i found the car with the options I wanted for on the lot for $38,500.00, including CD player, sunroof and heated seats. After driving a Toyota 4-Runner for the past 14 years, i am in heaven!
This discussion has been closed.