Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    The SH features the ATTS system, which most people say you can only notice the difference on a track, and it doesnt function as traction control. The SH also came with a slightly stiffer suspension, different design alloy wheels, the spoiler, and the leather wrapped shift knob.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    ... the puddle lamps :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Admitting you have a problem.

Hi, my name is Bradd and I'm addicted to VTEC:)

I've finally been able to stretch the Prelude's legs out and all I can say is WOW! The 7+ month wait to get the miles under the car's belt was well worth it. I love the sound and the way the car just surges forward. I've got a big ear to ear grin everytime I drive it. Whether I get to open it up or I'm feathering the clutch in rush hour traffic.

Sphinx99: Do you miss driving the S2000? Also the fancy color keyed lower body moulding, but who's counting?

I'm with Sphinx on keeping the stockies on this season and then buy a set of Winter tires possibly over the summer or next fall for use next winter.

What are you guys running your tires at? I've got them at 32 all around like the door jamb says, but is anybody else having any luck otherwise?

axp696: If you're looking for a used Prelude, you'll be perfectly happy with a base model (5 speed of course). This coming from a Type SH owner. I think it was worth every penny:) No offense Himiler:)

Himiler, I'm with you on the winter driving thing. There are too many idiots on the roads with SUVs that think they are indestructable. Speaking of fun winter driving, while at home in the snow storm, I was tearing up some empty parking lots in my Dad's QX4 and then had loads of fun with my Mom's A6 3.0.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qxpqxp Member Posts: 2
    The SH also weighs over a hundred pounds more and costs quite a few pennies more.
    I miss the S2k's chassis and steering (the smaller diameter wheel actually changes the driving experience markedly--the car feels smaller because the wheel's turning ratio is higher and the diameter is smaller) but it's mostly made up for with the Prelude's better stereo. Basically, I am a music nut and can only be so happy with a car that doesn't have a good stereo system. I am still thinking about upgrading the stereo, perhaps come the spring.

The stock tires are fine once more, now that the earlier blast of snow has melted away. Unfortunately ice seems to have done a number on both windshield wipers.

I've been fueling up with 94 octane lately (as opposed to the regular 92/93) at a Sunoco but don't notice much of a difference. Do any of you use those STP de-watering things?
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    In March 2002 I purchased a leftover base 2001 Prelude coupe with the automatic. After 3,600 miles I replaced the stock factory rotors with cross-drilled rotors from the Honda dealer, as the originals were already badly warped. (According to the dealer, these are factory-approved rotors and will not void the warranty.) For awhile, all was well.

Now, the odometer just hit 16,000 miles, and I'm getting pulsations through the brake pedal again! And no, it's not my driving - passengers have commented that I'm not hard on the brakes. I enjoy the engine and the handling of this car, but quite frankly, my patience is wearing faster than the rotors. I'm seriously looking at unloading this car come spring.

Honda needs to get its act together with its braking systems - my 1993 Civic EX sedan went over 60,000 miles before the rotors needed to be turned. Granted, those were mostly highway miles, but I expect considerably more than 12,000 miles between rotor turnings, even with mostly urban driving. Especially on what is supposed to be a sports coupe.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You might investigate getting your next set of rotors cryo-treated: the process makes them far more resistant to damage from heat build-up. Honda rotors are prone to warping due to the large pad size (the pad holds heat and hot-spots the rotor when the car isn't moving). My experiences with Honda brakes have been mixed: my '87 Prelude and '96 Integra both ate brakes (front and rear, every year!), but my '91 Civic and '98 Integra GS-R both went over 100K without needing pads or rotors.

Most of the hot-spotting occurs when you brake hard, and then sit at a long light or park the car without driving around to cool the brakes. There is the remote possiblilty that your calipers could be sticking, causing the pads to drag, but that would be idicated by rapid pad wear, which you don't mention.

NYC--Finally, you're a VTEC-junkie! The suspense was killing me. Just remember to keep an eye on the oil level.

Blacktalon--I think the increase in steering feel and tracking stability I'm getting with the Alpins (over the S-03's) comes from their narrower tread width (195 vs. 205), but the S-03's do tend to follow every groove in the road, making the steering busy on worn pavement.
    I had to replace the rear pads at about 57,000 miles, while the fronts, now with just under 70,000, still show 20% according to the dealer. I thought the fronts should wear first. I dunno.
    I notice some rattling when the bass is a bit high while listening to music. It seems to be coming from the rear speaker grilles and possibly the ceiling, above the headliner... how easy/expensive is it to address this with dynamat or a knockoff? Any experience in this area? I'm trying to get a feel for whether this is a $25 fix or a $250 fix.
    Thanks for the information. What exactly is involved with having the rotors cyro-treated?
    sphinx--I've got it, too. Also have rattles/buzzing from the hi-mount CSL on the parcel shelf. I've thought that some double-sided foam sticky tape would fix the problem, but I've been less than seriously motivated to work on it.

grbeck--To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I know that the rotors (also can be done to engine blocks) are immersed in a bath of liquid nitrogen (or something similarly cold) which has the effect of strengthening the crystalline structure of the metal, but beyond that, I'm clueless. Sadly, I'm not specifically aware of where you can get this treatment performed, but you might get results from a google search or by asking around on car tuning boards.
    Thank you for the information. You'd think the car companies would start doing this themselves, as complaints about warping rotors seem to be pretty widespread.
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    I have 36,900 miles on my Prelude, (fresh from 26 days at the body shop) and the brakes have been warped for about 1,000 miles. It's pretty annoying and I'll have them check it at the next service. Also, since I got my car back from the body shop, the speakers have been rattling when the bass hits hard. I took the grills off to find a bunch of detritus on the cones, anyway, cleaning it made them sound a lot better.
    Finally, my car lightly smokes when it's floored. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and drive it pretty carefully, I mean, the Potenzas are still original and probably can go 7,000 more miles. I don't understand where the smoke is coming from. It doesn't show up under normal driving.
    You're getting some oil burning at WOT due to some blow-by around the piston rings. Although it can be a normal sign of engine wear (depending upon how the car's been driven), it's unfortunately a sign of compression loss.

As long as your car doens't blow blue smoke on a cold start, it's not much to fret about.
    I say Damn all the Tahoes, Denalis, Saabs, Audis, X5s, and AWD Chrysler Town & Countrys, I'm taking the Prelude Skiing. Thanks to a wonderful Hanukkah present from my girlfriend (she bought me Thule Bars with ski and bike attachments), the Prelude is ready to take on the slopes. The bars took a while to put on, but now taking thm on and off will be somewhat simpler. The only downside is that I can't open my sunroof because of the wind noise, so I can survive without it for a few weeks:) My girlfriend and I are going skiing in the Pocono Mountains (Pennsylvania)for a few days for New Year's. Between skiing and biking, I feel like we lead the active lifestyle coveted by the SUV marketers... NEVER...HA HA HA HA!

Merry Xmas Everybody!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Happy holidays, and be careful :)
    My first Road trip with the Prelude was lots of fun and a successful one (no speeding tickets). Happy New Everybody BTW! The Skis we noisless on the roof to the point that I barely even knew they were there. I'm still madly in love with this car. I got the thumbs up from a guy in a tricked out GSR. I was going about 72 (in a 65) and he was flying up on the left. He slowed down (from about 90), gave me the thumbs up and then took off. While unloading the Prelude at the ski mountain, a kid who couldn't have been more than 15 or 16 said to me that I had "An Awesome Prelude." He proceeded to ask some questions and after a few minutes, my girlfriend promptly pulled me away.

I still love my Milano Red, but I've got to hand it to you guys tht have Silver (Himiler & Sphinx), it is possibly the best color for our car. I saw a Silver Base Model with a Spoiler at night parked right underneath a street light. It was like there was a halo around the car.

The silver is an amazing car at night underneath lights. The car glows. I have to admit that there's something to be said for Milano Red. Also, I saw a Pearl White SH a few months ago, obviously recently detailed and done up, and I was shocked at how attractive that car looked. The SH rims and proportions match the pearl white body better than they do the other colors, I think. Black is the only color that I don't particularly like. Must be all those black 4-door Accord LX sedans running about...

I'm glad that you're enjoying your car! Mine's doing fine except for rattling from the rear deck speaker grilles whenever I have the sound turned up. I've thought about trying dynomat or some other sound insulator, but the stuff is expensive and I'm trying to save money. One month to wedding, two months to Italy vacation, and three months to my dream home theater! There won't be any money left by April so I'm saving every penny.
  • samjsamj Member Posts: 24
    Hey guys? I want a Prelude, and a dealer has a silver one with 16K miles. I like the low mileage but I'm worried about how hard the previous owner drove it. Thats why I'm considering a new RSX as an alternative. (plus RSX has cheaper insurance) Any suggestions? What other factors should I consider? Thanks.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I'd go for the Prelude. It's a lot faster than the base RSX. If it were the Prelude vs. the RSX Type S, that would be a harder call.

In either case, it's worth test driving both...
    The White has always been a favorite color of mine on the Prelude (especially how it contrasts with our Darth Vader interiors). White was my second color choice next to Milano Red. But then again, I love white cars. There are some people out there who despise white cars (my Dad is one of them).

I happen to really like the way the Black Prelude looks. In fact, after I spoke to my dealer the first time, he called my back 3 days later and told me he had located a Black SH. I was tempted, but told him to keep searching and I'm glad I did. I had a Black Ford Explorer Sport (hey, we all make stupid mistakes when we're young:) that had crummy Ford Orange Peel Paint and that was tough to keep up. I can't imagine what it would be like to keep up the Black paint on the Prelude.

Saving Money...I understand all about that Sphinx. I'm actually in the process of saving up for one of the shiny rocks as we speak and also for a vacation this summer where I can propose. So you guys are going to Italy on your honeymoon? Sounds exciting. I'd love to go to Europe when our time comes as well. I'd eventually like to go and take European Delivery of an M3 (Way, way down the road). Sorry for clogging up the Prelude board with mushy stuff...lol!

LOL on the Black Accord LXs!

Well, here's where the rational side of me comes out. As much as I love my Prelude and think it is a better car than the RSX, I'd say go with the RSX simply because it is new and the Prelude is used. I know that Hondas are great cars and will run forever and 3 days and that 16K is nothing as far as mileage goes, but you don't know how it was broken in. Are we comparing Stick Prelude to Stick RSX or Automatic to Automatic? Just my $.02.

Well, it's more like she's going to Italy and I'm following :) The two of us ran off to France for a few weeks last year, with no notice nor planning, and had such a wonderful, impromptu time (sleeping in five-star hotels one night, youth hostels the next) that we decided to travel someplace new every March. So, it's her turn to pick and the timing is right to call it a honeymoon. We don't know where we are going or staying, although I wouldn't mind visiting the Ferrari factory and she's an architecture nut. Next year, I'm hoping to visit New Zealand.

What I really need is a car strategy. I've done too much car buying/swapping in the last two years and it's been a huge money drain. My fiance is going to need a car soon (hers is having a tough time weathering this winter) and she will not drive a stick or own a small car. At the minimum, I think she wants a luxurious coupe... something like the Infiniti G35c or the Acura CL-S. Or even a BMW 3-series coupe loaded up. But those are incredibly expensive. So, I have this feeling that my Prelude days are over because it'll have to be trade-in bait for whatever she wants. But then I'd have to deal with the S2000's lack of a stereo, and that would be tough. Or, losing the S2000 would make smart fiscal sense since I think the S2000 is going to start depreciating like a rock next fall and now is the time to dump it, but I need a convertible! Basically, what I want is a 911 cabriolet--a sports car convertible with a good stereo. Or maybe I should trade the S2k in for her car, sell the Prelude and buy a used Civic, save money for a few years, and buy that M3 as well (ED of course). Then there is leasing. I've actually been thinking about this--somehow switch to a S2000 lease, if I can hit under $400/month for a reasonable amount of miles for two or three years. Prelude gets traded in for mushy poorly optioned Audi Coupe or something, and I buy the best used Civic for $3k that I can dump miles on.

It's too bad us silly human beings are so impatient.
    Like the previous poster, I'm divided between mind and heart on this. I think the Prelude will be the better, more enjoyable car than a base RSX. However, there is more risk involved in buying a Prelude used. If you are aware of a given Prelude's history (believe it or not, there are a couple of "new" ones sitting on lots... still...) then it would be a no-brainer. I feel that the Prelude has the stronger engine even when compared to the RSX-S, and while the RSX-S's steering is tighter, the Prelude's suspension is much more confidence-inspiring. These advantages only grow in a comparision with the base RSX. Also, while both cars are well-built, the Prelude does have a deserved reputation for being one of the best-built models on the road, at any time, by any make, at any price. Prelude also has a stronger sports car feel--you sit low, the front hood runs forward. The RSX however has brighter and better ergonomics, cooler dash and console, and far, far more cargo room due to the hatchback design.

In your shoes, I'd probably err towards the RSX unless I found a Prelude whose history was clean and non-abusive, in which case I'd choose the Prelude.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    If you can wait a few months to a year, how about a 350Z or RX-8 convertible? Alternately, you could trade the Prelude for a CL-S or G35C, and go aftermarket on the S2K's stereo.

I think if you buy an Audi or a Civic, you'll be back in the dealership within three months, shopping for another car...
    Ive owned a 99 black 5-speed Prelude for about a yearand a half. A few months ago I thought about trading it for a RSX-S and extensively test drove a 2002 6-speed. From that drive and owning a Prelude, here is what I decided. The RSX engine was smoother and quieter, and revved lower on the highway for better mileage and a quieter ride, but the Prelude is not annoyingly loud like an Integra and its engine is barely less smooth. You do sit lower and the car feels wider and more stable than the RSX, as a previous message noted. The interior is very nice on the RSX, much more so than it looks in pictures. Cargo space and back seat room is better on the RSX, but ive managed to fit lots of stuff and 2 guys and 2 girls from boston to nyc in the prelude. The shifter on the RSX is amazing, but only a little better than the already-slick one on the Prelude. The low end torque was a draw, the Prelude being heavier but with more torque and an extra 200cc. One thing is the iVtec does not have the cam-switchover hat the regular Vtec does, so the power at high rpms comes on smoother. But then again, that changeover is fun. There is the issue of used-car versus new one. With 70,000 miles, mine has not been in the shop for anything except maintenance, one set of tires, and one set of brake pads (recently). The Prelude is an amazing car, and so is the RSX, and although it might be a huge step ahead of the Integra, its less of a jump ahead of the Prelude. What made me keep the Prelude though was the styling, its just way hotter than the RSX.
  • samjsamj Member Posts: 24
    Thank you for your thoughts. I've always wanted a Prelude (Milano Red). I was very close to buying the silver 01 Prelude, but my concerns about the previous driver scared me. I found a 12k Milano Red 01 Prelude at a Toyota dealership, but it wasn't Honda certified. I don't like the RSX as much as the Prelude, and couldn't justify paying more for a RSX over a Prelude. (even if the RSX is new) So I took advantage of the 1.9 APR on the Civics, and got the 03 EX Coupe with bunch of accessories. I won't be as happy in the Civic as a Prelude, but at least I'll save a lot of money. (New Civic and used Prelude cost about the same, but fuel and insurance would have skyrocketed on the Prelude)

So until I get a BMW M3, I will remain envious of you all Prelude drivers, and I will continue to lust after your cars, especially the Milano Reds.
    When you get the M3, the Milano Red Prelude drivers will lust after your BMW :)

In the meantime, the Civic Cpe is a fine car, plus you get that ridiculous fuel economy!
    samj: Congrats on the new civic. It is still a great car. Enjoy it. Thanks for the compliments on the Milano Red. I'm sure my car will blush when I tell it.

Sphinx99: I recall your posts about your S2000 from last spring and into the summer and there is no freakin' way you can get rid of that car. I know you love the Prelude and the S2000, but if you've got to rid yourself of one...

As far as a luxo coupe for your significant other, maybe you could trade in the Prelude (or sell it privately and make some more dough) and use the money to lease (depending on the mileage she drives) a 3.2CL Type S. They're always running lease deals on those cars. Plus it would be a fun car for you to drive pnce in a while.

Maybe we'll meet one day at the BMW ED center in Munich picking up our M3s together. I'm still undecided whether I want Imola Red, Jet Black, or WHatever the metallic black:)

I had an interesting occurance with my Prelude on Monday. I was driving home from work, after leaving from a traffic light. I ran over one on those 1/2" thick steel plates (not going more than 10-15mph mind you) the city puts down to cover pot holes, and BAM! It came up under me as I was driving over it. The result. 1 cracked rim, 1 busted tire, my exhaust system (from behind the resonator back) flew off the back of the car and across the street breaking the lower rear bumper trim, and partly disconnecting the rear bumper from the rear quarter panel.

I actually drove around for 2 days with just the resonator and to tell you the truth, I don't know how these guys do it with the coffee can exhausts and such (sign I'm getting old I guess).

I was able to salvage the muffler, so a muffler shop fabricated a new ehaust pipe and installed a new resonator ($155). The steel they used for the pipe is actually heavier gauge then the factor and I actually feel the difference in low speed accelleration. Sounds the same still.

I called about 5 dealers in my area (NYC) and they all quoted me $445 for a new Type SH rim. One guy even gave a hard you're in for a doosy laugh when I asked. I called Manchester Honda (CT) and they quoted me $344 including shipping (fedEX) so I went with them. They've got parts cheaper than other dealers.

I called a few places to get a quote on a Potenza RE92 205/50 R16 87V Tire and Tire Rack was the cheapest. They sold me the tire for $140 including shipping.

I brought the car to a wheel shop down the street from my store and had the tire mounted and balanced ($15).

The Prelude is running like new again. I still love driving it every minute:)

I started to teach my girlfriend to drive stick today. This way she can drive a little bit when we go away for 1/2 a weekend. She's a bit shaky on the launches, but executes perfect 1-2 upshifts.

Glad to hear that the damage wasn't worse. You should have posted here, I have three Type SH rims sitting in my bedroom closet from my friend's rollover Prelude from a while ago. I kept planning to buy a fourth and add winter tires, but didn't feel like spending the money. I might try to sell them on eBay or something, someday.

The rattle in the rear speaker grills is driving me nuts! Otherwise, the car runs beautifully. I loaded up with 94 octane at the local sunoco and the engine was almost silent even at 3k rpm, and it pulled well. If they sold 98 octane or some such here, I'd probably try it just once, just to see, even if it cost $4 a gallon or something.

My M3 will be either the imola red, or perhaps a gunmetal silver if there is one. I haven't decided on coupe versus convertible yet.
  • jeffanceletjeffancelet Member Posts: 2
    i've got a 99 prelude with 47000 miles on it. i've been happy with it for the most part. no major mechanical problems, good fuel mileage, pretty good performance(except for the stock bridgestones, which suck). my biggest problem with the car is in the cold weather. there are rattles and creaks everywhere. i was wondering if anyone else had the same type of problems, or maybe i just have a lemon. thanks for the input.
    Mine rattles a bit more in cold weather. The rattles are pretty much in the headliner, which makes me want to go in there and try to put some dynomat or something. It's not too bad, however. Preludes do have a reputation for picking up rattles, thanks (I think) to the stiff suspension and rigid chassis. Mine's pretty quiet but it's nothing like my parents' Accord, for example.

Everyone's getting good fuel economy? I still barely get 20mpg... must be how I drive :)
    nyccarguy--from nyc also and I found that the two best honda dealers, and ive been to them all, are PS Honda on Northern Blvd in Manhasset and Apple Honda in Riverhead, LI. Both have staff that have gone above and beyond customer satisfaction to help me with various problems and servicing and parts for my Prelude.

About the rattles, it seems in cold weather the car has tonsof rattles, but that once it warms up, its like the car comes together and you dont hear them often. If i drive off on a cold morning without sufficient warm up, the rear suspension sounds like its gonna fall off and there are lots of interior rattles. Come spring though, the car will be as solid as new.
  • jreddyjreddy Member Posts: 3
    How much is reasonable for '98 prelude (base model). 45000K miles, manual, Dark green/tan cloth interior, one ownner(private party), well maintained car in NJ. Also, Is ATTS the only difference between the base and type SH. any thoughts..
    I'll leave pricing to someone with a better feel for this.

ATTS is the primary difference between the base and Type SH. The Type SH also has puddle lamps, a somewhat stiffer suspension, the spoiler and body-colored side skirts. It weighs a little more, and is therefore a bit slower in a straight line, but it corners like you would not believe.
    Well, my Prelude is going in for its first oil change on Thursday. I'm going synthetic, Mobil 1 (5w 30). I figure if Mobil 1 is the factory fill for BMW, MB, Porsche, Corvettes, & Vipers, then it should be ok for my little 4cyl, FWD, Honda that just happens to be one of the best handling cars on the road:) Does anybosy know an internet site or store that I can get it cheaper if I buy in quantities?

• shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    The best place to go is Walmart, price wise. They have the 5qt jar for $17.xx - unless you find it on sale somewhere else, which is pretty rare. I don't think there is any place online that sells oil - the shipping will kill you there.
    Yes, Walmart will probably do the best for you, but check the warehouse clubs, too -- sometimes BJ's has a good deal when you buy a case of it.
    The next time around I'm going to check around at Price Club and Wal Mart (I'm pretty sure there's one on Long Island near my girlfriend's house).

I seem to have an intermittent problem with 1st gear. It isn't just when the car is cold. I'll be stopped at a light, take my foot off the brake pedal, depress the clutch all the way, and almost have to force the car into 1st gear. Do you think I have a bad synchro? While it is at the dealer tomorrow, I will have them check it out.

No, I had the same problem with my old lease and my new Type SH. On both, the problem faded away after 10-20k miles.

On the other hand, my shifter sometimes doesn't go into reverse. It sort of slides in there, but not quite--it's hard to describe. I usually need to keep the foot on the clutch, move the shifter into one of the forward gears, then move into reverse.
  • cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    I have the same reverse problem as well. Happens 5-10% of the time, I would guess. I've had some embarassing moments in parking lots or when trying to parallel park. Sometimes I slide it in there and just don't hear the "click" that tells me that the gear is engaged.

I was wondering if I should take it in. I'm worried that it may get worse over time, and that by then it will be too late to do anything about it.

Squeaks and rattles are driving me crazy... it will be interesting to hear if it gets better by the spring.

Other than that, the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. I'm putting on twice the mileage that I did on my old Acura.
    Yup, I've got it too, although it tends to be infrequent. It happens when the shift forks get slightly out of alignment.

I wouldn't suggest that you ever try to force the shift, as this may cause the forks to bend. Instead, put the car in neutral, let out the clutch, put in the clutch, shift into third, and then back to neutral. After you do this, the lever should drop right into first or reverse. (Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but it works.)

As far as all the little squeaks, buzzes, rattles and clunks go...I've got almost 100K on my '01 and I can say is that they don't seem to be getting any worse!
    same here with the problem shifting into first, sometimes, rarely tho, its impossible and you have to shift into second or third first, then back to first.
    Well, as my luck (as in lack thereof) would have it, the new rim, tire, exhaust pipe, resonator, and alignment aren't all that's needed to fix my beloved Prelude. I left it at the dealer last night for them to perform an oil change, tire rotation, & alignment. They had the car all day and told me they couldn't perform a proper alignment because there are parts of the rear suspension that are bent and twisted. I need a new RR Lower Ball Joint ($232.89), a new RR Lower Control Arm ($183.89), a new Rear Beam ($299.72), plus an alignment ($79.95), and 4 hours worth of labor ($308) plus Tax of course. For all you math wizzes out there, it comes out to about $1104.45 (not including tax). They're going to order the parts tomorrow, get them on Monday and fix the car on Tuesday. So they offered to give me a loaner car until the car is fixed. I'm driving a 2002 Accord DX Sedan with an Automatic, no power door locks, and crank windows, how ubiquitious (although beggars can't be choosers).

Thanks for letting me know about the 1st gear thing. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

chillenhonda: Thanks for the dealer advice, but Riverhead is out of the way for me. My dealer has a great service department. I just found out too that the guy who bought a Mercedes from my parents about 6 years ago works at the dealership in the service department. He remembered who I was and promised to make sure everything would be done perfectly. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys:)

• axp696axp696 Member Posts: 90
    FWIW, I've owned a number of manual transmission cars, and I've never had one that I didn't have to double clutch to get into reverse. This is normal behavior.
    I'm still waiting for my car to be fixed. The Rear Beam didn't come in until this afternoon, so my car should be fixed by either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning.

Despite the obvious shortcomings of the DX Accord, it definitely makes a great platform (for a car like the CL or TL), the steering provides decent feedback.

Sphinx99: You may want to check out the new Accord EX-V6 coupe for your girlfriend. I sat in 1 at the dealership and was pretty impressed.

I drove a new EX V6 coupe out in Chicago back in late December around the holidays. It's nice. It would be perfect if the ride height weren't so high--it still feels, like all Accord coupes have felt--like a coupe version of a sedan. That said, the seats, stereo, quality feel and all were exemplary, and if you haven't had a chance to check out the new electroluminscent dash, do so! The only place where I've seen something comparable is in a Mercedes CL500. It's amazing.

Sorry to hear about your Prelude troubles--that really, REALLY sucks... I hope all is made well in the near future. Mine is still rattling a bit, and it needs a bath pretty bad, but with marriage in, uh, a couple of weeks, uh, um, yeah. Car stuff is about to go on the back-burner for a while...
  • sigma5asigma5a Member Posts: 1
    I cant believe why the lude didnt take off. Months of online research have led me to this conclusion: P R E L U D E ! Hihghway driving is the bomb in this car great road trips. The design is so unique and exceedingly cool looking.
    The design and styling was definately ahead of its time. It seems like most cars are morphing into angular, slab-sided shapes with pulled back headlights.

I think the 5G Prelude looks better now than it did in '97. As far as the driving experience goes, a car with superior mechanicals never goes out of style.
  • cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    Honda has a knack for designs that grow on you. I HATED the Prelude when it came out in '97. Now I own one and think it's one of the sharpest looking cars on the road... go figure. Hell, even the new Accord is growing on me (except for the rear end on the sedan, which I don't think I will ever appreciate). I'll pass on any commentary on the Element, since it's not a car, IMO, and just a box on wheels.