Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Sedan

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, please keep in mind that the Town Hall isn't supposed to be used to arrange group buys - that's a form of solicitation for personal gain forbidden by the Membership Agreement.

But the way to contact each other would be for one of you to make your email address public in your profile at least long enough for the other to obtain it.

When your email address is public in your profile, the only people who can see it are logged in members. This protects it from the spam bots.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Hi Pat;

We're not trying to do a group buy, per se. We're just 2 owners living close to each other trying to save a buck.

I'll provide my hotmail address (jasdmw@hotmail.com). That makes me feel a bit better. CJSB, send me your address and we'll go from there. I'll provide my real address at that point.

I too was considering the deflector. Have one on the Sienna. Seems all the stones hit just above the line of protection. But it does seem to work, as it's usually got bug stuff on it after a highway run. The dealer wanted $149.00 installed and I found an aftermarket unit for $89.00. Oddly enough, the manufacturer is called Focus! It's a no drill installation.

I'm also seriously pondering an auto dimming mirror. The van has it and it works well. however, cheap they ain't! Best price so far is $399.00 installed at a shop in London. That's for a unit with the compass and an outside temp gauge. Was also looking at tinting. Best price so far for the "good" stuff, $172.00 locally here in Burlington.
  • cjsbcjsb Member Posts: 71
    Thanks Pat.

In yet another odd similarity, I just had the window tinting done. Actually had it worked into my deal on the car. Looks great IMO. Though there are a couple of small spots where it appears the tint may not have taken. I asked the tinter (it was outsourced by the dealership) what it would have cost had I brought the car in off the street and he said high $200 range. So your quote seems good.

Where'd you find the deflector? No luck for me at NAPA or Canadian Tire today. I also have one on the second car and though not perfect, I think it's made a diffence. Even if only on those runs up north where it is literally painted with bugs.

I'll be in contact.

Mark.
  • angliaanglia Member Posts: 5
    I have a deflector made by lund. The side wings go to the top of the headlights, somewhat different than the 1 in the ford accessories web site. Mine took 15 min to install. Dezee is another company to check out. Price on ford site is about what I paid for mine.
    Thanks for the info on the Lund. I found a local source for that make. Can you verify that the model number is 78528? Can you describe how the mounting location on the hood is determined? Is a template included or do you do it by eye?

Thanks.
    I can't find the number of the deflector right now. Mon afternoon I will go and get that for u. The bottom of the deflector will only go on so far and the side wings determine the placement by eyeball. The deflector number is the same for 2004 as it is for 2003,as our catolog only went to 2003. We called the distributor. As stated before the wings go to top of headlight lense. They come in 2 colors , smoked and clear I think. I have the liquid gray paint and the smoked looks great on the ZTS (2004). Will post tommorrow with number.
    I found the number and that IS THE CORRECT number. If you want a picture of one I will be happy to take one and send it to you. If you like after reading these 2 posts ,I will post my e-ml adress and u can send me yours for the picture
    Thanks much for your work to find the number, really appreciate it. A picture isn't needed, thanks. I've seen several and am sure they all look similar. My ZTS is sangria red, so the dark smoked one will look fine on that as well. I've put tinted license plate covers on and am still considering tinting the windows, so all that dark stuff will match more or less.

John
  • agadkariagadkari Member Posts: 5
    I have 2004 Focus ZTS and just want to share my experience with all. At 9000 mile, I got check engine light, so I took it to the dealer. I am disappointed with my dealer because the way this matter was handled. Anyway, my car was at dealer's service dept for a week (I never receive any call from the service dept and no information was passed to me); Following is description about problem (it is written on the receipt).

PART # 3S4Z9G749AA
    9040 VERFIED MIL HOOKED UP TO WDS PERFORMED PERLIMINARY CHECKS PERFORMED KOEO SELF TEST CMDTC P0452 PERFORMED DATA LOGGER USED OUTPUT STATE CONTROL TO ATTEMPT TO ISOLATE CAUSE OF EVAP LEAK TRIED KNOW GOOD FUEL FILLER CAP NO DIFFERENCE USED VACUTEC SMOKE MACHINE TO PINPOINT LEAK FOUND SEAM ON EVAP SYSTEM BUFFER CANISTER UNDER HOOD LEAKING REPLACED CANISTER RESTESTED WITH SMOKE MACHINE OK RETESTED EVAP SYSTEM PASS CLEARED CODES AND RETESTED EEC SYSTEM KOEO P100 0
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    when did you say you needed the car back when you brought it in?
    at least it looks like they had the right tech on the job. i think wds is world diagnostic system, and koeo is key on engine off.
    happy with the mileage on our pzev/5speed. last 2 tanks 31+ mpg. longest trip about 20 miles one way.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • agadkariagadkari Member Posts: 5
    I was hoping to get my car back in 3 business days. However, i have been told that the part they (dealer) have ordered is on national back order list. So there was no definite time frame given; meantime i discuss this issue with ford customer service directly, and under their investigation there was no back order for this part.
  • tgregory1tgregory1 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a 2000 Focus LX sedan and the check engine light has been on for 6 months but the car runs fine. We went to the mechanic once and he said it may be a bad valve or dirty exhaust valve and suggested we use "SEAFOAM" gasoline system
    cleaner and it went out for about 3 months but the light is back on again. Could it be a defective head?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    When the check engine light goes on, it means the computer is "storing a code." The only way to know what is wrong is to read the code with the proper equipment. When you leave the light on for long periods of time, you could be causing more damage. For example, the code may say your engine is running rich, if this is the case it will cause the catalytic converters to go bad! I can't believe your mechanic didn't know enough to read the code. What an idiot!
  • dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    Just spent three days driving a rental 2005 Focus ZX4. It had an automatic and all the toys leather, sunroof etc. Great car but I wish I had the stick.

I must admit I liked driving the Focus more than my 2003 Civic. The Focus feels more solid and heavier. The Civic has the smoother engine but is lighter overall.The Civic quality still feels slightly better but the Ford was decent. They are similar size wise and the Civic does have the flat floor in the back. Both have great seats and driving position.

The Focus sure is thirsty though compared with my Civic. There was not any huge difference in quickness despite the extra horsepower on the Focus. On the highway, I only got about 40 mpg (imperial gallon) on the Focus whereas I get around 48 - 50 mpg on the Civic (even when new). The Civic has gotten as high as 56 mpg given a chance (gentle driving, perfect day etc.)

FWIW I love the Focus refresh, inside and out. I have driven and liked the previous versions as well.

So what us the general consensus. Is this a good reliable car now? Is it as reliable as say a Civic?
    Hi Anglia;

I received my deflector last night and installed it. Took me aout an hour, including washing the hood. I took my time, no big rush. It looks good but it's a little flimsy, or more flexible, compared to the one on my Sienna. I note that per the instructions, brush type car washes are out, which is OK by me; I always use touch free anyway although my dealer washes cars after every service. Have you had any noise or rubbing issues at highway speeds? I put the 4 bumpers on. 2 are at the extremity by the headlights and 2 are across the front spaced about 4" or so from center.
    Well, had my first problem this week. Took the car through my favorite touch free car wash (high pressure jets) and now the horn doesn't work! Has anyone else had this problem? I'm concerned it might be a recurring issue.

Also, noticed that if I push the lock button on the fob, the doors lock. Pressing the button a second time, the horn sounds (when it's working). Didn't see anything about this in the manual.
  • dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    High pressure car washes are generally a bad idea. Water and high pressure mist gets in where it does not belong and can, in the short term, affect operation of a number of accessories. Let the car dry out and it will probably be fine in a few days.

The horn sounding on the key fob is how my Civic works too. It is how the anti theft immobilizer is activated on my car.

Lots of Canadians on this board. We love our small cars. I am just south of some of you in east Oakville. Not far from the giant Ford plant.
    I have not noticed any noise from the deflector and I have been up to speeds of 75. 2 of my bumpers are 4 inches upward from the push pins on the bat wings. The others 2 are 5inches on either side of the ford emblem . or 6 1/2 from center of emblem. the center is very sturdy where they are , but the wings could use a couple of more. I will give them the road test tommorrow as we are heading for ohio the key west fla. car has 635 miles on it, so it should be broke in when it get back. we have no brush type car washes in the sticks. of iowa where i live. i live on gravel road so i wash at home and drive slow to hard surface road. will give road trip report in 5 weeks. milage is only 25 mpg now. hope it gets better.
  • nyfocus1nyfocus1 Member Posts: 11
    Mine works the same way. The first time you push lock, the lights flash & the doors lock. Press it a second time, the horn sounds. It's the cars way of saying "hey dummy, you already locked me"
  • oily_ragsoily_rags Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I just want to get some input from other focus owners. When I have my air conditioner on, and I shift into neutral and come to a stop, the engine makes a sort of hum, or whine at 1000 rpm. once it goes below 1000 the noise subsides, or above 1000.
       My dealer said this is normal, and other focus cars make the same sound, but I want to be sure, because it is very noticeable at times.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    this is one of my pet peeves!

when my customers leave with their new cars, they know them from top to bottom.

this practice of tossing the keys with the 3 c's is horrible. (c your keys...c your car...c ya later)
  • samie123samie123 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 4 dr. sedan. rear seat is a bench seat,can't fold foward because it hits backs of front seats,so can't fold rear seat backs down flat to use for large items.Ford should have made split rear seat so you could use at least one side like the passenger side by moving the seat up to the dash board. ford should have an option to have a split rear seat installed. Roger.
    you have an LX model, right?
    No, i have a 4 dr zts.But i'am talking about the rear seat cushion,it's a one piece unit, so if drivers seat is in use when i try to flip it up it hits the back of the front seat rendering it useless. so i cant use the function of a flat cargo area.
    ...like you need leg reduction surgery. im only 5'3", so send me the leftovers if you would, please. ;-)
    I would rather go for a bigger car, It's not that i don't appreciate your kind offer,but Thanks for trying. Roger.
    a good alternative would be a civic or sentra...they both offer split seats in back...as does the '05 focus.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Perhaps a 2005 rear seat bottom could be easily retrofitted to the 2004 sedan. If so I might be monitoring the Junk yards for the first 2005 which comes in.
    the seatbacks arent compatible. the mechanisms and locks are in different places.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I was asking about the seat bottoms only. On my 04 zts, one piece merely flips foreward from 2 front hinges. I was thinking of replacing the one piece with two so that full advantage could be taken of the 60/40 split seat back.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    We got it. We gotit! You are talking about the seat "cushion", not the "backrest". I have also noticed this peculiarity. All you need to do is pull the front seats all the way foreward and then try to drive - if you can still get in the car. As you mentioned a "split" cushion would help if you were hauling a long object and didn't need the area behind the drivers' seat - you could lay it on the right side, behind the passenger seat. Gotit!
    Side airbags can be either the "seat-mounted" airbags or the "side-curtain" airbags. They perform different functions. The "side-curtain" airbags are a step up from the "seat-mounted" airbags and work in conjunction with the "seats". "Side-curtains" - "curtains" help protect you head. "Seats" help protect your torso. You can't get the curtains w/o the seats. Nor would you want to. Together with the "front" airbags they are the state-of-the-art in airbag protection. Hardly anyone offers the curtains yet. However, after seeing the bone-crushing videos from the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). They show SUVS T-boning passenger cars and smaller SUVS. Because of the difference in bumper height of the vehicles, curtains make all the difference between a poor and a good rating.
    Don't count on the seats protecting you noggin.
    Hopefully, curtains will become more widely available in the near future. My '02 Passat has them standard.
    Incidentally, older "seats" are actually mounted in the B-pillar (the body post that runs from the roof to the floor) - where the door latch is. I first saw these on the '97 Mercedes. Now they are in the seatbacks to help when the seat is adjusted for short/long-legged people. It keeps the airbag close to you.
    in some cars, lincolns to be exact, the seat side airbags DO go all the way up.

and side curtain airbags are available on more than half the models of cars sold in the US.
    I didn't know that. I deal primarily w/Mercedes-Benz. I have seen the post-collision deflated airbags on the side and they look somewhat too small and short to protect the headbone. I just considered M-B as state-of-the-art or cutting-edge. I am not familiar w/Lincoln. I like 'em better when they are STANDARD. You don't have all that deciding to do when you are shoppng. I conside safety as a prime requisite.
    I noticed that too. My '04 ZTS had no LR liner. The other new cars were mixed and varied - some did/some didn't. I took it back and they put it on. When I drove, I could hear the rocks hitting the metal in the LR. Now it's right. Also I noticed the air deflector from the front bumper to the AC condensor had been "ripped" off the car - literally. The side brackets were there but somewhat torn. That is fixed now. No problemo. The service advisor assured me as did the salesman the car had not been wrecked. Anyway about 1/2 the other new cars had no LR liner. Who knows - maybe that guy took off that day and nobody filled in for him at the assembly plant.
    I can only guess that the RR HAD to have the line since the fuel filler pipe to the tank is there. No need on the LR 'tho. Purely a cost-cutting measure. Now that's a guess remember!
    My Passat had a recall to install an additional shield to protect the filler pipe in case of a tire blowout and subsequent tire disintegration that could cause a fire by breaking the filler pipe near the tank.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The keyless remotes on ford cars work as follows.

Once on lock: Silently locks all doors.

Twice on lock: all doors lock, horn chrips once if one of the doors is not completely closed, the horn will chrip 2xs to let you know.

once on unlock only unlocks driver's door

2xs on unlock unlocks the other doors.

Mark
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Finally catching up on Edmunds and thought I'd reply to your:
    "Next on the agenda is snow tires. I've read several reports (verified by the GM at my dealership) this car really benefits from snows. Anybody have word on a good brand of 205/50/16 snow tires?"
    comment. My 03 ZTW with the 16 Pirellis was fine and dandy on the snow/ice this past NASTY North Dakota winter. I was shocked, as I'd been planning on steels and skinnys. Granted, they were pretty agressive on plowing out the roads up here this past winter, but still! I doubt the ESP and traction control and ABS and whatever had anything to do with it--I think the tires are way underrated IMHO.
    rr
    i think the second time you press the lock button, it activates the perimiter alarm.
    there is no perimeter alarm. the security is a passive anti-theft device, and is active when the doors are locked.
    my sticker lists a perimiter alarm for $125. i better have it. :)
    alarm. lots of dealers add them.
    My '04 ZTS has both. A perimeter (active), and a microchip in the key (passive). Also, the turn signals flash when setting/locking the car w/the keyless-entry remote.
    yes...the turn signals flash when you lock them.

the "perimeter" alarm is the passive one i told you about, unless your dealer added it aftermarket. was it on the monroney sticker or a seperate sticker?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    There are 2 "alarm" systems available for the focus.

Securelock is the standard system on all Focuses (Foci?) Securelock features a chip in the ignition key that has a code stored on it. there are over 7.2 quadrillion (7,200,000,000,000) codes. Only a key with the correct code can start the car. (an improper code may start the car but the engine will shut off in approximately 4 seconds). The computer allows only 3 ignition keys to exist at any time. This system is always "on" in New Jersey, Securelock is in the category of "Passive armored fuel cutoff switch" and qualifies for a 15% reduction in comprehensive premiums.
    A key cut at a hardware store will unlock doors and turn in the ignition but will not start or allow operation of the vehicle unless the key is first coed.
    To code a key, all current keys must be present when the new key is coded. Any keys not present will no longer start the car.
    If a key is lost, the remaining keys can be recoded so that the lost key no longer starts the engine.

The second alarm system is the optional perimeter alarm. It is activated when ever the doors are locked. When activated, the alarm will trip if a door or the hood is forced open or if a window is broken. This alarm protects interior contents, while securlock protects the vehicle itself from theft.

The 2 systems are separate.

Mark
    i guess i got something for my $125. :)
    included in the last fillup was a 100 mile mostly highway trip(5 occupants). got about 32 mpg for that tank(2.3 5 speed).
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    I recently saw a photo of the next gen Focus. Looked pretty agressive. Was from a car show in China. Pic was in current issue of Motortrend or C and D, or something(I get 5 different car rags). Has anyone else seen this pic? Was sea greenish/blueish in color. Is it a concept or prototype, or the real deal? I hope it's real. I like those looks.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    An earlier post said you wouldn't want side curtains without the side seat air bags or you couldn't get it. Correct for Ford, but not for Saturn and maybe some others. Saturn offers the curtains only and no side seat air bags. They claim they don't do much and some kids have been seriously injured getting wedged when they deployed. Just being the messenger.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Just sat in a new Mazda 3 hatch...the alleged forerunner to the new Focus on the Volvo S40 platform. Is this the last year for the current Focus design? That might make a difference in my decision to buy a Focus wagon this year, even though I have an offer of around $17,500 with every option available for factory order on a SES ZTW. Thanks.
    last year?!?! this is the FIRST year, dude.

BTW, the article about the chinese focus was in autoweek, and its set to stay in asia.
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    Too bad! Maybe I could move there. NOT! Tis nice to dream.