Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    FWIW... Those pictures look suspiciously like a Tauras/Sable (tailights???)
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    BTW, I saw a quick glimpse and profile of the new Altima....The front looks like the new Q45. Base gets a 180hp I-4, BUT get this...a V-6 option VQ Maxima series engine at 240 hp / 246 lb ft torque. Looking forward to September to see em both in 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto. Nissan says it has a bigger interior than the Maxima. Bye Bye Maxima???
  • will38will38 Member Posts: 30
    I own a 99 GS with the factory Goodyears. I live in Northern Illinois and have had no problems in snow. It's not to bad on ice either. I do drive with caution when it's slippery out. The GS comes with traction control.
    I had 7,000 miles on my 99 GS when they replaced the climate control under warranty.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Forgot to mention, you can reduce that copter (sunroof) noise by opening the rear window a bit. It definitely works at lower speeds.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that said Nissan is moving the Max to higher ground. They don't have a car that is larger than the Max and the Max is in the mid-size arena (barely). So they are moving the Altima into the current Maxima position and pushing the Maxima into the large car sector (large for an Asian vehicle).

The Altima part was confirmed... the Max info hadn't been confirmed at the time. Should be interesting to see.
  • pfeiffer85pfeiffer85 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a supercharger pulley puller that I could rent? I have a replacement pulley, but I don't want to invest the $$$ in a special tool that I would use only once.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Also rumors floating that Max goes to RWD in its new configuration.

When the GM new midluxe version comes out in RWD this certainly gives a bunch of us reasons to do some fun test drives. I wonder if Ford and Toyota will also go RWD and spruce up their product offerings within the next 2-3 years?

Ken
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    This company rents the puller tool for $40.

http://www.motorsportsperformance.com/

I should mention that if you have a problem looking at this website with IE as I did, use Netcape.

• armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I figured out how they get the five stars. First, the surveys only go out to satisfied customers, I am sure of this as I never get one.

On new cars well, the salesmen keep close tabs on the new owner, frequent phone calls to see if any problems. If no problems and or they have been corrected to everyones satisfaction then a survey goes out. Customers are bribed into good survey, oh, had an oil leak at 500 miles, here's a free oil change coupon to help you out and by the way, give us five stars on the survey you will get in the mail.

The designation is meaningless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    armtdm-

OH NO! GM dealers aren't going to the "5-STAR" designation like Chrysler- are they?

fastdriver
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    Yeah, the whole thing does come out of the dash from inside the car. If he needed a special tool or devise for the clips, I don't know. Clips seem to hold this whole car together. Maybe they use chewing gum too, I dunno. BTW What does LOL mean? I know I'm gonna feel really stupid when I find out.
    I have an 01 GS and it finally fully dawned on me, my GS doesn't have the sports shift option. Why was it dropped for 01 ($ -I supose)? Was it dropped for 01 or do I have the wrong trans??

Those of you that have it--like it? Was it worth it?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    LOL= Laughing Out Loud

could also mean lots of luck but usually not.
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    I have the performance shift in my 2000 GS, and I'm still trying to "feel" the difference when it's engaged. I don't think the shifts are much firmer, and I don't see a big difference in shift points. I think it would be more advantageous to get a performance PCM (when available) for performance shifting. Buick may have realized that no one was particularly excited about the option and dropped it in favor of cost.
    I also have a 2000 GS and see little/no difference when in performance mode. When entering the freeways here in L.A., I use to go to perf. mode thinking the extra oomph would be needed. But during those times of 'spirited' driving when the peddle is 2/3 of the way to the floor, the car knows what you want it to do no matter which mode you're in. I would say that the car does hold the revs for a couple hundred more rpms during normal driving, but that's about it.

I had read somewhere that it was discontinued due to two factors: a) it didn't fulfill its marketing directives. b) people were hitting it accidentally as they went to reach into the "compartment that never ends"; resulting in an unfamiliar "perf mode" idiot light appearing. In turn, people would go to the dealer or call Buick asking what is 'wrong' with their car .
    For the perf shift input. Don't feel so bad now....
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks-- HANWE
    Bushwack is right. Each time my right arm disappears in the center console almost evry time I engage the perf shift.
    Minor news update on the 2004 Regal can be found at <http://www.popularmechanics.com/perl/spy_fetch.pl?cat=det> (I hope I the link works! If not, copy and paste).
    Has anyone in cyberspace installed a hands-free cell unit in their 1999-2001 Regal equipped with the Monsoon system? If so, I'd like to know what problems (if any) have cropped up during (or after) installation. If you have a Nokia phone, all the better!

Thanks.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I got the oil changed in my '98 Lumina today, and while at the Chevy dealer, I test drove a '98 Camaro Z28. I honestly couldn't tell any big difference in acceleration between the Z28 and my wife's '00 Regal GSE. I think the Z28 is just a little bit overrated. Any comments?
    I think the Z28 is about a second quicker in the 1/4 mile. But as for day to day 'spirited' driving, nothing compares to a GM V8. While the 3.8ltr SC has power that comes on fast and steady, a 5.7 ltr V8 just takes you back in your seat. A Z28 as a car may be overrated, but its' engine is not. I can't think of any domestic engine that can compete in 'balls-to-the-walls' power with a GM V8.
    With two passengers in the car, 81 lbs in the trunk (averaging 67 mph) with the a/c on, I achieved 27.4 mpg on a 438 mile round trip from Ventura to Palm Springs

Not too bad, eh?

On a side issue, the DIC reported that I was at 29.5 mpg for the trip. One day I'll ask the dealer why such a large discrepency in numbers (does the DIC calculate fuel consumption of the a/c unit?). It makes me wonder how accurate the oil life monitor is (not that I depend on that figure as to when to perform a l.o.f).

Cheers!
  • dfritz1dfritz1 Member Posts: 9
    have the olympic pkg with 2 tone paint & the paint chips very easily. had a 1997 z34 chevy monte carlo & i traded it in for this car, hoping the paint would be better, but it,s not. anyone else have this problem?
    I have a Platinum Gray 99 GS. I try to take care of my car, some say obsessively. I have noticed small paint chips the size of a pencil lead. I can't figure out where they came from. I have never even driven down a gravel road. My best guess is a passing snow plow that was spreading salt. I heard the salt hit my car. I never figured it would chip the paint. Must be very thin paint. I would like to find someone that could repair this. It is down to bare metal. I don't want to use touch up paint. I would like to have a professional looking job, without having to paint the entire driver's side of the car. I have had several other cars without this problem.
    will38: Your challenge may not be from poor paint or overspray. I have often heard of rail dust that has a signifigant impact on cars transported by rail. Making paint surfaces look imperfect and not smooth even after a good waxing as the flakes are imbeded into the paint. I have even seen some reference to this in other discussions. Most use Zaino or Meguiars products, one is a clay bar that removes the rail dust, then follow with a good wax application. I believe that Zaino's website dedicates a section to this. My neighbor has a light silver '01 Chrysler T&C minivan and it looked like small chips in the paint but after a weekend of detail all this was gone...the dealer later confirmed rail dust.
    will38-

If indeed you have paint chips, I don't think you can blame it on "thin paint" if they were caused by a passing snow plow spreading salt! Do you realize how that salt comes flying out of the spreader with such force? Nothing would protect you from that.

fastdriver
    There are people out there that repair chips as a business for dealerships etc. and for individuals. Look in the yellow pages or ask dealer who they use for their used cars. I just use the manufacturer touch up paint. Never looks the same but in today's world, constuction everwhere, flying stones, old ladies in parking lots and teenager with keys to scratch with I have given up hope of a chip free car.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Just wanted to let everyone know that on EBAY they have on the home page a picture of Tiger Woods saying win Tiger's Buick, with a picture of the 2001 Buick Regal LSE (black one). Buick must love that advertising! I think Tiger drove this car all of 1/2 mile to pick up his prize money : ) If you buy the car you also get a set of golf clubs, bag, etc.. in the trunk. Proceeds go to Tiger Woods foundation / checks payable to the foundation. I wonder if this means you can buy the car and right off the entire amount as a donation to charity ??? Somebody need a Regal and a tax right off?

Bidding up to $24,600 Better hurry, the auction expires on June 17th.

Here is the link:

http://members.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aboutme/twfoundation/?ssPageName=HP1MainTigerBuick

$38,000....yeehaw, aint even a GS.
    of an auction....people forgetting about reality and getting caught up in the BID....
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    Regarding Tigers Buick...

The buyer will be able to write off as a donation to a charity the amount paid for the car and goodies, minus the fair market value of the car and the goodies.
    Thanks for the info. I am following up on your suggestions.
    I realize how fast the salt comes out a spreader. After driving thru 22 midwest winters, I have been "beaned" countless times. All with no damage to the paint. This is why I said I'm not positive this is where the damage came from. I have owned 7 Buicks in the last 10 years, 5 of them Regals. It seems to me the paint is thinner on the 99 than the previous ones. How is the paint on your Regal? Maybe the factory had too much air in the air-to-paint mixture that day? I am also checking out the possibility of rail dust. I hope this is the problem.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    If you look in the July issue of MotorTrend in the sidebar on page 29, you'll see a real photo of the new Regal. As much as it pains me to say, it looks terrible (depending on your perspective).

The current Regal is "fly"--conservative yet aggressive looking. The new Regal looks like a Century with sport elements. So bad do I think it is that I believe that Buick will loose both the Century and Regal crowd. It is way too conservative for a Regal and adds things the typical Century buyer wouldn't want.

But that's just me.

They also say that in '04 it is to receive a twin-cam 3.4L engine. So the 3800 may be around for the redesign. I hope the engine is ready before the release. Otherwise it would show GM hasn't learned its lesson from doing the same thing to the Intrigue.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    So it sounds like the new Regal will go more in the direction of a family hauler instead of a performance/luxury sedan. What a shame. Leave it to GM to take a very good car needing only minor improvements and go the wrong direction with it. I really like my 2000 GSE and was hoping Buick would boost Hp to 300 and restyle a little. If I'm in the market for a car in the next few years, I won't be buying GM. Guess I'll look at a Maxima or dare I say a Chysler Sebring or 300M.
    pgorges-

Take my advice- stick to the MAXIMA if you're going to make a change unless you are retired and like to spend time in Chrysler waiting rooms and repeat visits because they usually don't get it right the first time! Sometimes the 2nd time either!

fastdriver
    300 M a clunky transmission and it needs at least another 50 HP to move the bulk around. Not the car it is promoted to be. The Maxima a much better alternative.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I must have surprised the guy next to me in the Mustang GT Convertable the other day. I don't think the Regal would have beat that car normally, but then again I don't think the guy was expecting much of a challenge from my car, if he even noticed it. He sure did notice it after I put a car length on him though.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I passed a Corvette this morning, while driving my 1988(sic!) Ford Taurus Wagon. The Corvette driver did not mind, if ever notice...

Hamden, CT near the border of New Haven, CT. City traffic. The posted speed is 30 mph in Hamden, and drops to 25 mph soon after crossing to New Haven. I did about 35 mph, 37 mph maximum, while the Corvette probably did the posted limit on the left lane. Passed it from right.

The New Haven police like the location. Have a speed trap on the spot about 50% of time. All local drivers know this trap very well, but it does not matter - the police is ticketing somebody here every 10 minutes. Being a lighting rod for the speeding, the red Corvette driver most probably have to drive especially careful.
  • hb396hb396 Member Posts: 15
    Rotated tires on my '99 LSE at 26,000 miles and noticed that the front brake rotors both had grooves near the centers on the insides. Outsides were both smooth. Rotors were turned and front pads replaced under warranty. I think I found "The Rattle" folks. The noise was located in the dash, directly above the center of the steering wheel. I took my thumb and index finger and pinched together the top center of the dash and the black shell that houses the speedometer and gauges. The noise stopped. There is nothing holding those two pieces together, so I placed a quarter sized piece of velcro (isn't technology wonderful?) between the dash and gauge housing and there has been no rattle for a month. I'll let you know if anything changes. So..... be sure to have your brake rotors checked out during the next service and get rid of that annoying rattle !
    I guess we can talk about wiper blades, now thats real interesting.
    forgot where but someone had a link up for theos silicone wiper blades that last for a very long time. Found it...

http://www.sspinc.com/wipers.cfm

• frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    Prior to it last redo in 1999, the 4.6 engine in the GT put out a paltry 215 HP. This was bumped up to 260 in 99. FWIW, I have beaten older GT's at the stoplight grad prix.
  • jaguarjimjaguarjim Member Posts: 2
    My remote entry device has the little red button that, if pressed, sets off flashing lights and honking horns for up to two minutes unless the button is pressed a second time. I've read the book and I know what the intended purpose is for this feature. However, having set it off accidently a few times, like when rummaging through my pocket for parking meter change, I would sure like to find a way to deactivate it.

I've searched through the owners manual for a fuse to pull or a way to reprogram it like you can do for the door locks. There is nothing. I called my Buick Service Manager and he was unaware of any procedures for a manual override. Has anybody else dealt with this "problem" and come up with a solution? Thanks.
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    I just picked up my new(at least new to me) '98 Regal GS. Love the car so far.... I
    wanted a service history record but none was available. My car has 60k miles and I would
    like to know what tuneup or maintenance needs to be done(assuming all is
    original on the car). I know the car has long-life plugs, coolant, & tranny oil but
    I don't want to run it that far without servicing these items.... anyone know the optimum
    life span of these??
    Car has original Goodyear LS's, so many owners don't like these tires!! seems to me
    a soft, quiet ride was GM's priority. Can anyone suggest a better tire that will still
    have a decent ride??
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Congratulations!

60k with the original tires? Several people complained at the board need to replace the tires after 20-25k miles. Either the previous owner drove very carefully, or he used other set of tires and put the Eagle LS back before selling the car.

The 2000 GS my wife drives have only about 7.5k - too early for major maintenance. However, our second car, a 98 Malibu, have the same long-life coolant, plugs, and the transmission liquid.

According to GM, the transmission liquid need not to be changed at all with regular use, and not earlier than at 50k miles with severe use, like taxi or driving in the mountain terrains. This is with Malibu, not Regal - check your the car manual.

I live in Connecticut - a hilly place, but not mountains. However, mechanics are recommending to change the liquid at about 30k. I checked with a Chevy dealer and the Firestone mechanics, the both are very reputable, and was told the same at the both places.

So I changed the liquid at about 40k. Turned to be, for the long-service GM makes a premium transmission filter, costs about $80 (US). My mechanic was surprised by the price.

I asked the mechanic to fill the transmission with synthetic transmission fluid. Mobil 1 ATF. Bought it at Pep Boys, $6 per quart, and brought to the mechanic. Probably ATF this is overkill with the Connecticut climate, but the extra expense is relatively small comparing with the cost of transmission. Makes more sense with the cold Canadian winter.

The orange coolant service is 150k miles (100k with Regal?), or 5 years. My 98 car was built in 97, already 4 years old, and I am planning to change the coolant with 45k mile service, at fall. For the build date, check the sticker on the door jamb.

I believe, it is better to replace the platinum plugs with the 60k mile service. Even while they will serve to 100k according to GM.

Other service items are listed in the car manual. At 60k, any car, most probably, needs new fuel filter, air filter, PCV valves(?), serpentine belt, and the general check-up. Probably needs new brake pads, probably air condition check-up, probably some new wires and hoses, possible injectors cleaning.

Specific for GS: supercharger (a special oil must be added every 30k miles), and the cabin (pollen/dust) air filter.

Tires: see the user surveys at tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Personally, I would go to the Firestone Firehawk SH-30. Installed them on my Malibu the last fall and like the riding very much. Especially good at rain, and this is important for safety. Low noise. The best tires in high-performance category according to the user survey:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hpas.jsp

However, the high performance tires are more stiff. The tires more comparable with the original Eagle LS are listed here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/touring.jsp

I believe, all 3-5 top models are good enough.

• evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Thanks so much for the feedback!

Checked the door sticker & the car was built in April of' '98
    (Oshawa , Ont, which isn't too far from me). Appreciate the maintenance tips... I think
    I'll change the plugs & coolant this summer some time.

Looking forward to using the heated seats in our cold winters. Seems to be lots of
    performance upgrades one can do, although this car is a rocket as is!! My first car was a '68
    Firebird with a 350 HO & Muncie 4speed & the best 1/4 mile time I could do with
    stock tires was about 14.9 sec. Can I believe that the 1/4 mile times for the GS
    are 15 sec flat???

Also, thanks for the tire info... should be able to make a good choice when the time comes
    My LS's are 60% worn.

The car had a few things done before I closed the deal.. i.e. new front rotors/ pads,
    turned the rear rotors, Rfront headlight changed due to large amount of condensation
    inside the lens(anyone had this?), new serpentine belts & some detailing work.

This forum is a great place to trade info on one of GM's best kept secrets!
    This was the latest model GT. Like I said I don,t think he was on it all the way off the line but when I started to pull ahead I could here him nail the throttle and he wasn,t gaining any ground on me. If he had jumped on it right off the line I,m sure he would have beat me but the Regal,s power never stops impressing me.