Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• beechjet21beechjet21 Member Posts: 26
    I got this from the Thrasher website under FAQ:
    "Can I bolt a blower on my normally aspirated L36 GT and convert my GT to a GTP?

No. You cannot simply bolt on an Eaton M90 blower onto a L36 and make it work. Most importantly, the heads are different. The fuel injectors on a L67 are placed into the heads, while on a L36, they go into the intake manifold. While the supercharged L67 heads and the L36 normally aspirated heads were identical in 97-98, the injector bosses are not machined out to accept the injectors. In '99 and newer, the L36 heads went to a different casting, and these injector bosses no longer exist

Other differences between the L67 and L36 engine are the pistons and rods. The pistons are stronger on the L67 (but obviously not strong enough for our 370 HP engine! Click here to check out the damage a piston can do when it shatters during a run!), and height is different, making the L36 have a 9.5:1 compression ratio vs. 8.5:1 on the L67. This means even if you could get the lighter rods and pistons to live under boost, you wouldn't be able to run nearly as much. The cam, crank and block are the same, but the cam gear is different to allow the cam to be installed advanced in the L67."
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    My 01 GS has begun the muffled backfire noise again. I wrote about this before on this thread, it's been awhile maybe someone has the problem.

Randomly, upon start up I hear what I call a muffled backfire. I have taken it to the dealer and they have found no problem. It may be associated with the gas I buy---however I always use premium. Any more ideas??????

It doesn't seem to be a major problem, but I can't explain it.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I don't have an answer for your backfire problem, but on a related 'fuel' issue...

Here in Los Angeles, over the past few weeks I've noticed that premium unleaded once offered as 92 octane is now 91 octane. Arco, Unocal, Exxon -they've all dropped the octane level one notch.

Those of you in other parts of the U.S., are the Amacos, Diamond Shamrocks, Texacos...have they all dropped their premium octane level a notch or two?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Is the Buick Regal GS a really quiet car on the road, with excellent sound isolation? Is it as quiet as the LeSabre?
    I would say that yes, the GS is quiet on the road. However on poor, bumpy roads the GS is noisier than I thought it would be or should be. Overall, I'd say the sound isolation is very good, not necessarily excellent. Vs. the LaSabre, would think as good on the road, possibly poorer on bumpy roads. The GS suspension probably has something to do with bumpy road noise. Have only spent a limited amount of time in a LaSabre.

All that said, I like the GS and it is one of the quietest car I have ever owned.
  • y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    I just filled my 2001 GS at Shell this AM and the rating on the pump is 93 for premium. I have also used Amaco/BP and I beleive there rating is also 93 octane as well. I am not sure about the others in IL like Clark, Speeway, Marathon, Citgo, etc.. as I have never used ther gas.
    Also, if others have noticed, gas has crept back up again. Fire at a Citgo refinery this week. Don't sweat it, they will switch to the winter gas on Sept. 16. Less reformulated is needed and hopefully prices will come back down again. Keyword hopefully...
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    My '98 GS is very quiet.. especially if you accelerate on the slow side. Engine noise
    is almost non-existant, about the only noise I hear is the tires & on good pavement it's hardly there. However, when I put my foot in it, the exhaust has a definite growl.....music to my ears!!!

Re: the backfire problem. I haven't experienced this with my '98, but I suspect it is related to an ignition timing problem. My car does make sounds I've never heard before in any other car when I first start it up & I asked a technician at my dealer about this & he explained that an ABS brake system test occurs each time the car is started and that's what I am hearing.
    Is there any chance this may be what's happening with your car??
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    yurakm-

Glad to see that the Regal is running fine. I know that if I bought one I would have loved it because of the SC engine. My CL-S continues on with 7,000 miles since 3/28/01 and NO problems! I love this car. Just returned from FL after almost 3 weeks. I flew while the CL sat in the garage and I STILL have 7,000 miles on it! ;-)) Can't stop driving it.

Hope you're enjoying your summer.

fastdriver
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    Hey, guys I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I constantly blow BMWs away on the highway, in terms of acceleration, braking and even cornering. Yes, they are racing me.

I have heard so much hype about BMWs, I had to go test some. I tested the Z3 3.0 automatic. The Z3 is the highest performance car with the 3.0 inline 6 (330, 330ci, 530). The Z3 is the lightest, and lowest/widest of these cars, with the same HP/Torque and 5 speed automatic or manual drive train. BMW claims a 6.0 0-60 with the automatic. The car is no where near as fast off the line as my bone stock GTP, or Previous Regal GS.

I didn't think the car corned better on the roads driven during the test drive, at 8/10ths driving. What is the deal with these cars ?

You mention this to any Beemer owner and they will call you all sorts of names, and quote an bunch of third party 0-60 and skidpad numbers. I know there are differences between the real world and test track. However, 0-60 with automatics should at least be pretty close.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Street Racer, I know the guy in the 2.3 Z3 was wondering what hit him when I dusted him in my Regal. I hope he didn't sprain his arm or ankle trying to catch me. One thing is for sure his ego took a beating.
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    There is a topic in the News and Views forum about manufacturers "claimed" horsepower, and how it doesn't live up to expectations. The Z3 sounds like it needs to be added to the list.

The real problem seems to be the lack of torque in these cars. They claim 225hp, but only have 214 ft lbs. of torque. The GS and GP have 280 ft lbs. of torque, and even though they give up 500lbs+ in weight, they have enough power to move the weight faster.

The Z3 power claim is basically marketing hype to me. A lot of auto makers are using the high-revving characteristics of OHC engines to produce seemingly higher horsepower numbers. A good case in point is the new Chevy Trailblazer I-6 engine. Chevy is claiming the most powerful engine in the class with 270hp, but if you look at where that 270hp is achieved, it is 200rpms off of redline! Not where I would want to be driving. The telling factor again is torque. The torque rating is 275 ft lbs, which is not too bad, but it is only 25 more than the old 4.3 V6 in the Blazer! Additionally, the torque falls far short of other V8 engines in the class which Chevy is claiming to be more powerful than.
    Thanks guys its nice to know I am not alone. You can beat off idle power on demand in any gear, which is what the 3800SC offers. The problem with high narrow powerband cars is in real world you either aren't in band, or have to waste time to get into it.

Now, on a track they don't start the clocks until you launch, but in real world the race begins once the pedals are put down. Plus most times you aren't going from a standing start to begin with.

You also usually race to a distance not a speed. You can have one car that smoothly gets to 60 in 6 seconds or so, that barely accelerates for 4 seconds than jumps to 60 in 1. Now, the second car will have a 5.0 0-60, but will loose every merge.

I guess you can look at quarter mile times and 100ft times, to balance this out. However, you are once again dealing with the factor of high RPM launches.

Now as too cornering and handling. Our skidpad numbers don't tell the whole story either. A skidpad is tight smooth circle you go through without accelerating braking. The real world is usually full of off camber rougher wider high speed turns.

You can use power to counter power off understeer (due to FWD), and a larger width and length add stability and reduce weight transfers. Our "softer suspension" also keeps the tires on the road, even when it gets rough.

I love the look on the face of beemer drivers, who are either racing me, or obviously pushing their cars for their own amusement, as I come through a long sweep or s-turn much faster and accelerating.
  • lkohnlkohn Member Posts: 13
    You should see the looks on the Beemer Drivers faces around here. With all the layoffs and business closures, they are desperate to sell these cars.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    How ironic, I on the way home today toyed with a Z3 2.3, uh..rearview window material....

On the Regal GS noise side, I have noticed that now that my 'bad'year LS tires are begining to wear more I am beginning to notice a lot more road noise, cannot wait to change.
    The beemer mafia (owners/press) will even admit the Z3 2.3 is slower than a Regal GS. However, have you ever tangled with Z3 3.0, 330i, or 540 ? I have tangled or played with all them, and won. I am just curious if my experience is common.

I will have to of course test drive for myself. You never what car will faster for you as a driver on your favorite road. However, they mostly seem too short, narrow, and high to corner as good as they say, especially in a highway environment.

The engines also seem underpowered, in terms the both peak torque and low end of the RPM range. I also think the curves even seem a little suspect given the engine size, even with VVT and 4 valves.

I don't see VVT + 4V giving large low end advantages. The exception being if a similar displacement OHV engine is making a lot compromises on the low end in valve timing and lift profiles, to improve mid and high range response.

I have also heard you really can't compare even torque curves from a dyno, without knowing things like load, temp, altitude, and humidity.

However, .8L displacement advantage, a supercharger, and reasonable rev range, even this shouldn't be an issue. I would think the 4.4 engine would be more similar in real world power.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    4 cylinder, 200 HP very low torque (under 200) but can do 0-60 under 6 easily. The best output is also near the redline.
    I've always seen Type-R's as 6.5 to 6.7 0-60 with 15+ second 1/4 mile times. Very light car at around 2600lbs, but only registers about 130ft lbs. of torque or something.

If you applied the same amount of finish to the intake, heads, and exhaust on a GS/GTP as they do on the Type-R, the GS/GTP would probably have 300+ hp and start competing with V8 muscle cars.

Still, the Type-R is a nice little pocket-rocket for the money. BTW, did you see on the Edmunds review that the observed MPG was only 20.8?!
    For those who have an interest in these SUVs, I wrote in the Expedition forum (post 465, give a take a few) my findings of what I discovered today about these two vehicles.

I saw these SUVs (heavily camouflaged) being tested in the San Fernando Valley. There are some noticeable changes that I discussed in that forum.

So if these SUV's interest you, it might be worth 3 minutes of your time to read of what I learned.
  • ronny_55ronny_55 Member Posts: 7
    We just returned form a trip to the midwest then on to Maine and the east coast visiting friends and for a class reunion. My wife's 2001 Regal performed absolutely flawlessly. I was impressed with the 32 MPG that we got for most of the trip but what impressed me the most was its ability to climb hills and corner as interstate speeds. It hugged the corners and climbed the hills as if it wanted more. At several times I had the opportunity to slam the pedal to the floor while cruising at 75MPH and I was truly astounded at its ability to come alive and zip through traffic. Our only complaint is the location and design of the cup holders (to far back and to high and only can use slender cups). The car now has nearly 10,000 miles and I finally understand why my wife really likes the Regal.
  • almaggalmagg Member Posts: 15
    So what is the gas mileage on a 3.8ltr? Edmund's has it at I think 19/29.
    I was thinking of getting a Regal and there are two '96s in my price range.
    On the highway 65mph is fast enough for me occassionally I get up to 75mph.
    So I am asking myself if i really need that extra power as opposed to a good ole 3.1 ltr Malibu.
    And of course the gas mileage is an issue.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I was in your neighborhood last Sat - driving back to NH from NJ and passed thru New Haven area. Looked around for dark red Regal GS but didn't see any - did see MILLIONS of other cars! You sure have miserable traffic through there on I-95. We decided to stop by and see Foxwoods on the way home - being a big spender, I gave the wife $5 in quarters - figured if she couldn't make that into at least $100 - no sense in giving her more. I stayed in the arcade with the kids. Great time - next time I'll notify you first - perhaps set up a meet to see that nice GS.

Take care

Ken
  • y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    The gas mileage on my GS is suppose to be 18/28, as I have the SC 3.8L. The LS is rated at 20/30. I currently get 16 going back and forth to work. Most of the speeds I travel at are from 30-50 M.P.H range, plus I jack rabbit start alittle too. On the highway, I get like 27 or 28. I would take the 3.8L before going with the 3.1L in the Malibu. That is one reason why I get rid of my Lumina. That 3.1L was too pokey for my tastes for interstate driving. Plus the 3.1L is no better on gas than the regular 3.8L. My opinion, go with the 3.8L...
    Well, your 2001 ,must have a different suspention then my 2000. My highway mileage is around 30 or 31 (3.8 SC Buick regal GSE) but handling truly sucks, especially around corners. Front end fell like a MAck Truck. Great engine, acceleration but handling on curves reminds me of a 50s vintage car.
  • ronny_55ronny_55 Member Posts: 7
    I cant speak of your 2000 GSE but my my wife has the 2001GS model and the handling did surprised me, more so than the acceleration, probably because I don't drive it that often however on this trip I did the majority of the driving and it seemed quite nimble and quick in the handling department and cornering was an dream. My daughter has a 1999 Grand Prix GX and the regal seemed to corner at highway speeds much better that her car. One particular place I recall in central Tennessee (speed limit 70MPH) on I-40, I was going down a very long and steep hill and everyone else was braking down to about 60MPH and I had the cruise control set at 75MPH and I took the inside left lane and zipped through and around everything that was on that section of roadway without concern of losing control. I was even more impressed on the uphill curves especially in western Pennsylvania on I-80.

Personally I like the Regal very much. I am just sorry that I need my pick-up truck for my daily work otherwise I would buy another one for my use.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Last night I opened my sunroof, but later found that it would not close. This is the second time that this has happened to me in about a year. Last April of 2000 I had the same problem and the dealership replaced the module. I hope that this is the same problem and not a motor gone bad. Anyway this is a real downer because I can't drive it and probably will not get my car back till Monday at the earliest. In spite of this and other little problems that I've encountered, I would still buy another Regal. Has anyone else had the sunroof problem. I have 99' GSE
    My sister had a similar problem with a 1988 Maxima. The sunroof opened automatically while going through a car wash! Fortunately, the sunroof opened when going through the wind tunnel. So minimal interior damage occured.

Nissan had the car for six days. They gave her another Maxima to drive while the repair was being made in addition to waiving that month's car payment (she was financing thru Nissan).
  • olekolek Member Posts: 11
    I have Regal GS 1998.

My city mileage is 12/15 mpg. Really bad.
    Maybe because of heavy traffic here and a lot of up/down roads.

highway is around 23mpg.
    On short moments when highway level is straight i see 27/29.

But city mileage ...... anybody have the same problem ?

Engine seems to be mechanically sound and have only 30k on it.

Just do not now what to do with that.
    Got that car month ago. Love it. But hate that mileage.
    Have an 01 GS and around town I get in the 17/18mpg range. If it falls below 17 which it has, it usually means that my right foot has been way too heavy:-)

I really enjoy the car. It's power reserve is always there and sometimes too tempting.
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    Now it's our LS turn...
    I'm still about 24-25 MPG on city/ 29-30 MPG highway. Sometimes slightly higher right after I change the oil.
    LS owners take heart...with the MOD's done; it's dyno tested @ 243 HP and runs the 1/4 mile in 14.90 @ 91.48 MPH.
    Not the best HP/Time...but VERY close to a stock GS. Best of all it's on regular unleaded gas.
    Yea...Yea...I know could of had a GS
    Mine have 29mpg on highway (cruise controlled).
    But city - 12/15mpg.

It seems that car is eating a lot on idle, when just waiting for green light.

I do not have a heavy foot. When I tried to drive like old lady - I got gain only in 1-2 mpg.
    Not noticeable on such a low level.

Any idea what may be wrong with the car ?

Just purchased it a month ago and worrying about possible inherited problems.

Car have only 30k and drive is so smooth and nice ....
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    Driving like an old lady isn't enough, You have to look like one. Try wearing a grey wig and hunching down till you can see the road through the steering wheel and I'll bet your mileage will shoot right up to 29-30 mpg.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    But wait, you forgot the mandatory gigantic
    sunshield sunglasses that nearly cover the
    entire face......
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I run about 19-21 in mixed driving. Pretty good considering I keep my foot in it alot....

Anyone using synthetic or synthetic blend oil?
    I am thing about blend but I never have.
    Thoughts?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    This subject is discussed at another Edmunds board,

"Synthetic motor oil" Aug 30, 2001 6:59pm

I am using synthetic with the both of my car, 98 Chevy Malibu and now 2000 Regal GS.

I had read that the blend oil is very low on synthetic. Something like 10%, 20% at most. Any case, never saw the percentage printed on oil bottles, so the fraud is very possible.

With a quart or two of synthetic when changing oil, you will at least know the percentage. 22% with one quart, 44% with two, given the 3.8l engine uses 4.5 quarts of oil.

However, I do not understand, why bothering with blends when pure synthetic is available? Synthetic will work twice as long as natural oil. 5-6 thousand miles with conservative change intervals, vs. 3,000. The difference in price is marginal, and with extended changes, much more valuable time will be saved.

With longer intervals, it is necessary also to use a good oil filter. I am using Pure One, $6 at Pep Boys.
    I use Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 with a Pure One filter. I change the oil once a year, and the filter at 5,000 mile intervals. The most recent analysis showed that the oil was in great condition after a year, and could have gone much farther.

I was initially concerned that the extended drain might not be a good idea because of the supercharger and the additional heat. I am now convinced that the high-quality synthetic can handle the pressure.
    I use Amsoil 10W30 and Amsoil filter (climate has no need for the 0-W and I found no diff in MPG etc. when I tried it). On previous cars went 12,000 between changes. Switched at 4,400 and analysis on the OEM oil was fine. Next change I am not sure, maybe a filter at 6,000 oil at 12,000 will see. But I have gone once a year on other cars and analysis also fine.

My 2000 GSE seems to use about 2-4 ounces of oil aevery 1000 miles. Nothing major and this seems to be flat now, currently have 9,100 miles on car. Purchased Feb 2001
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I finally got my car back from the dealership on Thursday. The sunroof was closed but they have to order a part, from Michigan. Apparently there was a short in the wiring of the sunroof, that shorted out the motor,module,switch,and a switch for the glass. That is the part that is on order. Thank God I have the extended warranty because I have 36.5K miles on the car. This is turning out to be a real fiasco, but my dealership has been great.
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    I was wondering if anyone has "had/solved" this problem...
    It's only happens right after I wash the car...Don't know why??? I turn on the A/C...driver side comes out HOT and the passenger side come out...ICE COLD??? Now I either never wash my car or send it to the dealer??? I know what will happen...ICE COLD A/C. I wonder why I can't reproduce noises/problems infront of technicians???
    Any ideas what's happening???
    thanks guys for humor ... ;) but it seems that I am close to resolution of my problem without using big big sunglasses ... :)

My Buick Regal GS 1998 have to low city mileage 12-15 instead of 17-19. Highway mileage is fine - around 28.

Today I took the real wheels off to inspect the rear disk brakes. I compressed the caliper piston back but was unable to unbolt the upper caliper bolt. BTW -
    any idea how to do that if some jerk have overtightened it ?

One rotor was rotating with light dragging in one point,
    another was lightly dragging all the way. Is that normal ?
    I suppose no.

Lateral runout on rotors seems to be normal (0.002"),
    but when I am braking on highway - I feel pulsation from the floor and brake pedal. Have no way to check thickness of rotors - in order to do that I have to
    unbolt damn caliper bolt.

Right after I put wheels back on the car (sure - using torque wrench :) )- I drove it for some time - and WOW - my city mileage suddenly increased by 4mpg
    !!!

That is interesting indeed because I DID NOTHING !

BTW - brakes are still pulsating.

Any idea what is wrong with car and how to fix that?
    ..and now for your viewing pleasure, the next generation 2004 Buick Regal.

<http://popularmechanics.com/cgi-bin/spy.pl?cat=det>
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I'll let my Grandma know what her 2004 Regal will look like. Count me out of any future Buick purchases. What a shame.
    Let wait and see.

First, in reality, it can look different from the prototype picture.

Second, even small things can substantially change appearance. E.g., a different grille makes the front view of Century and Regal different enough.

Currently, the useless holes looks funny. However, the belt lines at rear fender is attractive.
    Looks like in 2004, Regal will no longer be the distinctive, special and somewhat mysterious (esp. in GS form!)car in Buick's lineup. Seems it will be the dull, mass produced brain child of GM's BEAN counters! Yes! The BEAN counters have taken over design and marketing too!
    First, the current Regal is anything but distinctive in appearence. Just the opposite: GM tried hard and successfully to make it look as "a generic cedan".

Regal does not stay out on a parking lot and blends with traffic. Never attracts attention, would it be from cops, the youngs who are "keying" cars, neighbors or co-wokers.

My wife and I like it very much, and I believe there are a lot of customers with conservative tastes, who also consider it to be a advantage. For customers with the opposite preferences, GM offers Gran Prix.

Second, even current Regal does not differ substantially from Century. Rather a different trim, than a different model. Very few people are capable to distinguish them from 30 feet, not to mention from 500 feet.

Probably, with the 2004 Regal, GM will provide 3 trims, or even 4 trims, spanning the current Century and Regal offerings.
    I like the way it looks, although agree the current GS is a little better looking. I had a 1999 GS, and now have a 2001 Grand Prix GTP coupe. The understated styling is much easier to live with, after you get over the new car period.

Does anyone have details about what is under the hood or inside. Here is my wish list:

GMs 5 speed automatic transimission with sequential shift mode (used in CTS and BMW 330/530 and X5 3.0/4.4)

A dynamic stability control system (based on Stabilitrak from the Park Avenue or better yet oldsmobiles Percision Control System which can use any or all 4 breaks instead of the front two)

A AWD option based on Verstrak (used in Buick Rendevous)

17inch Wheels and Z Rated Tires (from Park Avenue)

A intercooler on the 3800SC to boost it to 300HP and 336 ft/lbs (like Regal GTZ concept car at 2001 SEMA show)

The new 3.7L 24V DOHC V6, with a supercharger and intercooler would be very nice !!!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Geez.
    Even with the current low-volume aftermarket parts, produced almost by hand, the beefed-up SLP transmission costs $3.5K, the Trasher intercooler about $2.5K, and other parts like less restrictive exhaust, smaller pulley, cool air box, improved brakes, etc, costs in hundreds dollars, usually low hundreds. I believe that all performance enhancements available for the Regal GS together cost about $7K, plus labor for installation.

So, with volume production (parts and car assembly) the dream Regal by streetracer could be easy priced in the $30-35K range.
    I agree, you could do it relatively low cost and risk using off the shelf parts, given volumn discount. I think the biggest bang for buck would be the 5 speed auto. I think you can even already get stabilitrak in the 2001 Regal, right ?

I would imagine stabilitrak will be upgraded to use all 4 wheels, like PCS especially with oldsmobile be phasing out.

You could probobly doing everything with exception of AWD, for less than a $5000 increase in price. You could make everything option except the 5 speed auto an option package, maybe standardized on AWD to, like Jaguar X-Type. I think a super GS would be a worthy competitor, Buick is the American Jaguar afterall.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    So, the sneak '04 looks ever more like a generic intermediate sedan. So what? I love the anonymity of a quiet looking car that can run away from most other cars on the road and get 30 mpg as well. Plus a real quiet cabin full of climate-controlled air, handy gadgets and great Monsoon tunes. Plus Buick build quality [not in Camry territory, but way above the rest of the General's work]. As to a wish list, yes, give me a 5-speed auto, Stabilitrak, bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, and an engine that will do everything the SC3800 does, but on regular gas. Imagine what a DOHC layout might do for our old motor! BTW, shouldn't the new model come out in '03?
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    Has anyone put the after market stabilizer bars and or upgraded tower struts on a GS? If so whats your reaction to the handling and ride? How about the lowering springs and Koni shocks available through the Grand Prix store? Thanks. Jack