Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    Had the same problem with my sunroof...fixed under warranty. Also my glove compartment door broke...fixed under warranty.

I use 87 octane regular gas with no knocking, hesitation or anything. Should I still use the premium gas?

I really enjoy this car!
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    They tested cars that required premium and those that were manufactured fro 87 octane, tested the premium users on 87 and the 87 on premium as to performance and mpg. results, if your car was made to run 87 there is no need, not performance gain and no mpg gain by running 92-93 octane gas.

However, if your engine calls for 92 and you run 87 it will probably run okay due to the anti knock computer chips in new cars however, the compensating loss of performance and loss of mpg offsets the lower cost of the 87 octane, thus their conclusion was to run the 92 if it is recommended.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Some one backed into my left front fender today. No paint damage or scratches only a dent the size of the palm of your hand above the wheel. No damage to plastic around the inside of the wheel well either.
    Dealer body shop wants to redo the entire fender...OH NO!
    Anyone had experience with dent removal jobs in the past? I do not want to re-paint the panel if dent removal will do the trick.
    Any luck, hope or suggestions?
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I had hail damage repaired by a paintless shop and you could not tell that there was ever any damage. I would at least take it to a paintless shop and see what they say. Any time you can avoid repainting it is worth it.
  • forbesandrewforbesandrew Member Posts: 10
    I am thinking about buying the new Buick Regal GS
    Joseph Abboud edition.

It looks like its going to be identical to the 2001 Regal.

Any comments or advice? It seems to be the best bang for the buck with its incredible 240 Horse Super charged engine.

Thanks
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Great car (I have a GS). Since the 2001 & 2002 are nearly identical with the exception of exterior paint trim, I suggest go for the the best deal you can get in either 2001 or 2002 model year. I know 2002's offer 0% financing. But I can only assume the deals are even sweeter for the 2001 model year.

If you're going to hold on to the car for more then 5 years, ignore resale value. After all, it's the amount of miles put on the car that generally determine resale value. IMHO, buying car for its potential resale value is foolish. But people still calculate that equation in new car purchases.

..and don't forget to ZAINO your new car after your purchase. But I suppose that is a topic for another forum :)
  • forbesandrewforbesandrew Member Posts: 10
    See now i have to ask.. What the heck is zaino?

Yeah i tried getting a 2001 but there is only one (The edition and color i want) within 500 miles of me... and the dealer wasn't able to trade for it... I guess the guy wanted a Yukon for it.

So I have to try and get a new 2002 which haven't even been "released" to dealerships yet. I'm just hoping i can get one to buy before the November 18th deadline when the special financing ends.

Nothing is every easy. Especially when it comes to buying a car.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    What ever happened to etharmon, ruski, regalluvr, 99GS? It's been awhile since I've been to this site. Even though I "defected" to Ford, I miss talking to ya guys....
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    forbesandrew-

LOL... Zaino! Click on my name above and look at the shine! THAT'S Zaino! Then, go to http://www.zainobros.com and start reading and looking. I've been using it since the summer of 98 on 2 different cars now. Love it. So does everyone who sees my car.

fastdriver
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    Does a car wash re-use the water? If they do, is it filtered? Living in Ohio, I wonder if I'm washing my Regal with recycled salt water in the winter?
  • mgs2mgs2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Regal, standard climate control (not auto) with a weird condition. At a standstill the climate control works fine. It directs air to where ever it is supposed to as defined by the push buttons. At cruising speed the air is slowly choked off until almost no air is coming out of the vents regardless of fan speed setting. This is especially annoying on a warm day because the car doesn't stay cool. If I set the fan on #4 setting I can hear the air howling in the plenum, but almost no flow out the vents or any other port. If I stop the car, turn off the climate control and turn it back on it will start working again, but as soon as I get back on the highway it goes away again.

Any ideas?
    TIA
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The car wash definitely recycles the water through a filtration system. How well the system works depends on how well its maintained. There are different types of car washes. The one I go to is advertised as a "soft wash" where there are no stiff bristles brushing against your car causing scratches, rather chamois looking sheets "wipe the car". Also most of the mud and whatever else is pressure washed off the car before it enters. Not saying that the pollutants are 100% removed, just that its better than the unmanned type of wash.
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    If the ports are vacuum operated that could be your problem.
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    It's about time I Upgrade the wires/plugs in my 1999 Regal...ANY IDEAS??? Yes I know it's not time yet BUT I come from the "old school" of car care.

NGK
    AC Delco
    Champion
    Bosh Platinum+4(Hype???)
    Splitfire(Hype???)

What has yielded good results???
    My preference would be either of the first two.
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    Had mine replaced at around 52000 due to a miss. That was about 3 months ago. Lately its been sputtering again, so I started to change the wires. When I pulled the coil connection on the center coil I noticed a lot of rust and corrosion, so I removed all 3 of them and cleaned them up. The miss went away. Four new plug wires now hang in my garage. They are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to replace. Not as bad as the back plugs though. The point is , check those coil connections be fore you bother changing wires.
    Well, luck has been on my side. NOT! First an inconsiderate person (expletive deleted) backing up (not looking) bangs my front fender. Now, I am driving and I hear water sloshing around sounding like from behind the passenger dash. Turns out my evaporator housing seal is leaking and there is a puddle of water on the passenger side floor. So resealing the housing and new carpet are in order and tackling that intermittent sunroof problem and an annoying steering clunk now and again. These are the first real challenges I have had with the car and hope the last for a while.

Enough, I am driving a rental Intrepid...thank you Buick for the Regal GS!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    The owners manual for my 98 Regal LS says that the DexCool antifreeze is good for five years or 150,000 miles as long as I only add DexCool when coolant is needed. I have never had to add coolant, but I checked the strength of my antifreeze this week with an antifreeze tester. To my surprise, it only tested good to plus 10 degrees F. The antifreeze looked very week.
    I debated whether to drain out a gallon of coolant, and invest in a gallon of DexCool to strengthen the mixture. Instead, I drained and flushed the system, and added new Prestone. So much for "low maintenance" coolant.
    Unless indicated by a problem today's plugs really can go the distance. Anyway, the Bosch +4 are a piece of crap, CR says so and my experience backs that up. Stay with Delco or NGK.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Occasionally, not always (of course!), the transmission shifts real hard. Read somewhere on this board someone else reported same thing. He shut off engine, let computer recycle, then it went away. That works sometimes, but it still comes back. Anyone else with similar experience? Just over 21k miles.
    It turned out that the evaporator housing was not leaking but a body seam leak was allowing water in the car, for how long who knows, the passenger side under the mat and carpet is soaked.

In addition tie rod ends are needed and are on back order from GM factory.

Nice! Guess I am the unlucky owner now.
    I just noticed that my drivers side seat heater is not working. I checked all the fuses and they are good. The passengers side is still working. Anyone else had a similar problem?
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Hey, tsu670, that was me in my '99 LS with the trans chip "losing its mind", causing shifts of awful quality [banging hard into the next gear no matter where the gas pedal was]. This usually develops in prolonged stop-and-go traffic but the other day it happened on our beloved LIE [constant 0-60-0 driving]. A 2 minute shutdown cured it, as usual. It may have something to do with the chip trying to "learn" and adapt to erratic driving. Have you seen the same? At 30K, NO other problems. BTW, we clocked 30+mpg on that round trip to Montauk.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Thanks, Verdi942. Regarding chip "learning" my erratic driving, you may have a point. I do a lot of short trips, then occasionally a road trip to visit one twin son at University of Minnesota at Duluth up north or the other at Iowa State University to the south. (DIC says 30 mpg also, but believe it to be a little optimistic!). When the hard shift happens there seems to be a slight whiny sound coming from the tranny. Think I'll make an appt with dealer and have them check it out.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I had a 99 Regal GS, and now have 2001 Grand Prix GTP coupe. The GTP is a fantastic car, but miss my Regal. I think the GS seemed a little quicker between 80 and 100MPH, and had a better ride quality.

The GTP seems to have higher cornering limits, but the GS let you know when you were getting close to the limit better. The GS also seemed less likely to understeer, and actually had more of a drift at the limit, which could be easily corrected with the brakes.

The GTP brakes very fast, but the tail gets a little loose if go from hard acceleration to full braking very suddenly at high speeds. The GS had about the same braking, but always stayed straight.

I think both these cars are under rated by many drivers and reviewers. I have show many a BMW, Acura, and Maxima nothing but tail lights either accelerating, cornering, or braking.

I truly advise you to really test drive some hard before replacing your GS. I believe the car offers better performance than many cars, with superior 0-60, skidpad, slalom, and 60-0 numbers.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    tsu - I hear the same whine as the shifts approach during my troubles. I'm bringing the car in to the dealer for routine service and will spell out the problem for him. It's probably hard for him to duplicate the condition, but maybe there's a service bulletin? At worst, if the tranny goes, let it be under warranty.
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    I have switched to Synthetic oil, as some of you have done which means I don't have to change as often, however I have reached the point now where the filter needs changing. I know the filter is visible when the right wheel is turned to the right.

Question..... can the filter be changed relatively easily with the car on the ground & the wheels turned?? I'd would like to do this myself if possible.... Anyone done this??
    Removing and replacing the filter is no problem exactly as you described. I really couldn't believe that GM actually got this one right.
    Great! I'll give it a try. BTW, do you use a tool for this or just reach in by hand & remove the filter?

Thanks again.
    On the inital removal, I had to use an oil filter wrench as it was tightened at the factory. I hand tighten my oil filters so that subsequent removal did not require the wrench. So...you could initially try it by hand and if you can't remove it then an oil filter wrench might be needed. All else fails you can always stick a screwdriver through it and twist.
  • olekolek Member Posts: 11
    I have replaced my spark plugs and wires 2 weeks ago.
    I got Magnecore 8.5mm wires (btw - they have a speccial 30% off offer for Buick
    Regal now), and AC Delco plugs. I regapped AC Delco plugs to .055" from 0.060".
    (a lot of tuners are recommending that - and even Magnecore insist on that).

It works fine now - but the famous problem of rough idle is not fixed.

BTW - there is a rumor GM tuned Regals from the factory to run rich - and my
    old plugs were really blackish - with some carbon deposit - which is
    saying about rich mixture.

Anybody noticed that ?
    olek.... I was having a rough idle recently and decided to try some fuel injector cleaner. Put in a bottle of STP cleaner ( I used this stuff on my old car for 11 years & worked great) in a full tank & now it's about empty. Guess what..... the idle is SMOOOOOTH!
    After being taken off the road for three days. It is good to be back in the GS. Leaking body seam is fixed (hope). It was leak tested, according to the service director. New carpet installed and right front tie rod end replaced. The tie rod end is what kept it off the road for the three days under a direct order from Buick.
  • deibsdeibs Member Posts: 11
    hi street,

the regal is definitely quicker...cuz it weighs less than the pontiac gtp or bonneville. i've found that the regal gs is the best hot sedan for the money. the little tweaks here and there to make this a capable and safe car when driving 80-100 mph are easy to make.

btw, evize, did you get those michelin pilot xgt tires?

so far my 99 regal has been a dream come true. i've always owned fast and great handling cars...but i never expected that i'd own a buick...and this is a rocket.

as i get into more mods, i'll be sharing them with this group.

greetings from the silicon valley.

deibs
    Wow, didn't know was lighter than GTP coupe. I thought it was the other way around. Plus had a 99 which had performance shift, which the 2001 GTP doesn't have.

I raced plenty of mercs, bmws, and lexus in the GS, and out accelerated, out cornered, and out braked them. I think the only places those cars are really better in tight slow speed turns, like on twisty mountain roads, and if you brake torque or clutch pop them for the 0-60 or 1/4 tun. A lot of GS owners get low 6 second 0-60 times stock, which is still faster than a BMW 330i sport with the 5 speed manual using a high rpm launch.
  • olekolek Member Posts: 11
    As many of you know, GM is not recommending using of gas with MTBE additive. But it looks that in places where winter is real, every fu... gas supplier is pouring MTBE into gas.

Exxon was just horrible. My car got a very rough idle which smoothes after switching to BP, but not completely. I have found in internet that Exxon is in the top 10 consumers of MTBE. Aarrrrrrgh ....

Anybody knows really good gas brand for the winter ?
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one to have this problem. Brought a brand new Intrigue and it shook and rocked like it wanted to cut off. I was using Mobil (didn't seem to be a problem with the old Intrigue with 3800). Not surprised that it happened now that olek has confirmed Mobill uses MTBE as they own Exxon now. Tried a couple of different mainstream brands... same thing albeit a little better. Switched to Wawa gas and has been smooth as silk since.

The wife's Bonniville has been idling rougher than it should for a while but I never thought it was the gas since the old Intrigue used the same gas at the same time with no problem. Did everything mechanically to stop it until realizing the gas was the problem.

Hopefully Wawa won't start putting MTBE in theirs.
    Issue that just came out ranked the Buick Regal 8th out of 8. Their complaints were basically in the handling which, I have a 2000 GSE, I completely agree with. Handles like a Mack Truck on corners, yes, tires stink but just a very heavy feeling front end..
    I just made a change to my Regal that seems to make it considerably faster. I drove it to work today without the two kids seats in back, it must be a half second quicker to 60MPH! On a serious note if you have only driven the Regal with the GoodYear LS tires on it you are missing something. My car handles and rides so much better with the BF Goodrich tires I put on it. Replace the GoodYears as soon as warrented, you won't be sorry.
  • dfritz1dfritz1 Member Posts: 9
    Are thier writers working for Honda & Toyota or what? I have an 01 LS with olympic package & can't disagre more on their ratings. Looks,ride,comfort,etc. are all on Regal,s side, not to mention engine,monsoon sys. & hvac. Any comments?
    I never had any problem out cornering many so called ultimate driving machines in my regal, through highway s-turns and sweepers. The only place the regal doesn't handle well is in tight twisty slow speed turns. I will leave those turns to cars with lesser engines than the might 3800SC. I think all these reviews show is that 0-60, skidpad, and 60-0 tests are absolutely meaningless. They tests are only of a narrow aspect of a car's performance, and procedures do not reflect driving techniques that are feasible in the real world. When was the last time someone brake torqued on you in a stoplight drag ? Plus if someone does do this to you, or attempts to pop the clutch, you just punch it first and leave them in the dust :)
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    You wrote: just punch it first [in a stoplight drag] and leave them in the dust

Just the opposite. Any Neon, Civic, or Camaro would "leave you in the dust" while you are spinning the wheels, would you "punch it". With GS you must start very slow, just free the brakes, and idle through the first yard or so. Then add gas very smoothly.

Good idea is to stop about 3-5 feet before the stop line. Thus you will see better the traffic light, as well as the car on the next lane.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    And the last Kiplinger Magazine did not mentioned Regal GS at all. Simply left it off the last comparision tables. Only LS is included.

Not that they do not like Buick. Both Century and LeSable are praised as the most safe cars in their respective price categories.
    Yeah, I know about that. You need to start slow, and then add power. That is why the mags don't get the best time for the GS or GTP. They usually just floor it once in drive, and torque brake it a few times, and use whatever gets the best time. What I meant by punch it, is to starting going while the other guy is still reving, once the light is green.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    I'm a little surprised with the problems
    some are having running fuel with MTBE
    in it. In California, they force feed us MTBE
    year round. Can't buy gas without it.

I don't know if "the General" compensated for that in the California emissions package or what, but I don't have any rough idle, bucking
    etc.

Maybe the dealer service can make some
    helpful suggestions???
    This MTBE issue I've been reading about is news to me. Would MTBE be the reason my car idles rough for 20-30 seconds at the start of each day? I've noticed that no matter the gas I use, the idle is the same...though ARCO gas seems to agree with my GS better then other brands.

On a related note, here in L.A. over the past few months they have 'down-graded' super-unleaded to 91 octane (it was 92). Would that change be a reason for the rough idle?? Can any "gas knowledgeable" people out there shed some light on this??
    I haven't read the article, but I wouldn't let any car magazine dictate (or influence) me on a car...and this aplies to whether I agree or disagree on the wrtitten words.

I've read articles from cars mags that praise various cars yet when I've driven these same cars, my conclusion was I had driven garbage (i.e. Intrigue and Taurus). Yet cars that have been knocked down I feel were/are of great value (Focus, Hyndaui Elentra) for the money.

Bottom line is 99% of the writers wish all cars they were testing perform as well as a BMW M5. That seems to be their benchmark. Instead of taking into account the demographic of a certain car (i.e. Buick Century) and what purpose it serves in the manufacturer's line-up, writers will rag on the fact that it doesn't handle like a Ferrari, have the comfort of a Lexus and get the mileage of a Honda Civic.

I can continue to vent but its getting late and all this energy could be put to better use (i.e. the fiancé is frisky tonite!). Bottom line: No matter what you read, form your own opinion - don't make another person's opinion your own. If you're gonna read these mags, do it at the doctors office, library or at the newsstand. Don't waste your hard earned dollars buying the written dreams of these wanna-be Speed Racers.
  • timelordtimelord Member Posts: 1
    Oikes! Hi, everyone. I haven't been around here for quite a while, but thought I'd relay a sad story. Last night on the way home from the gym my 2000 Regal GSE felt like it was going to stall at a traffic light. Then it ran really rough the rest of the way home, I could actually feel resistance (jerking) when coasting down hills and the tach was bouncing around on the flat. It actually stalled while backing in to my driveway!

I restarted it and backed in and immediately raised the hood. I was greeted by the sight of a melted plastic heat shield and a completely torched wiring bundle - the one that runs right to the center front of the engine compartment. It's still at the dealer now and they're trying to figure out what caused it.

Still LOVE the car. I'm not really much of a racer, but I've never lost a contest yet. To my benefit, the price of premium gas has really plummeted in my corner of CT lately. I'm only paying 1.36/gal. It's never had anything but full synthetic oil (Mobil 1). I usually get around 24 mpg on a tank with very mixed driving. If I can put on lots of highway miles it jumps up over 26 for a tank. The more I use the cruise the better the mileage...

Some of you might remember that someone vandalized the hood last winter. I had a new hood put on this spring after danger of road sanding was over. The body guy said he'd never bought such expensive paint. I have the burgundy red - he paid $95 for the quart.

-Ken
    Rcvd the issue with the sedan comparo. What a waste. The Regal LS came in 8th. The Taurus and the Intrepid came in ahead on the Regal.
    Yes and #1 was the Accord V-6. Ahead of the impressive new Altima. The Regal used was a bare bones LS. They did a pretty good ripping on it too. They were a little kinder on the other domestic sedans.

Bushwack said it best about C & D. Anyway I love my GS. Happy Motoring.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I agree. The Regal GS is the best "bang for the buck" luxury car (like the Camaro Z-28 is the best BFTB sportscar). You can get more bang, like the BMW M-5, but you'll pay big $$ for it.