Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    A lot of information about tires is available on the Tirerack site, especially from the following page:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

the Edmunds tires board is also very helpful:

"Tires, tires, tires" Apr 8, 2002 8:46pm
    You wrote: see in the Wall Street Journal today that some car makers are increasing the sticker price with various bumped up fees ( prep, options, etc ) and THEN coming out with a rebate.....circle jerk stuff, but this cannot be anything new.

What about this: http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/10/pf/autos/gm_safety/index.htm

First drop ABS to save $160, than charge $500 to $800 for the same ABS as option? I would consider ABS to be essential on hilly and winding New England roads, especially in winter.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the link to the article. Looking forward to delivery of the new Regal....should be a nice step-up from the "Grandpa" Century that I drive now.

I asked the dealer for a price on the 15" custom rims that come with the touring package. He said it would be cheaper to order another car & take the rims off that car & put them on my new car, vs. ordering the rims through the dealer's part's dept.

He thinks the rims will be $300-400. The rims really dress up the car, so I may go for it.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Elmo - Don't all Touring pkgs include 16 inchers? [I'm waiting on an LS w/Touring]. While we're on this topic, does anyone know if it is also true that all Touring pkgs include larger brakes?
  • lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    According to GM, all Touring suspensions come with 16" inch alloy wheels. They also have larger rotors on the front end. My 01 LS has both. The touring suspension is an option on the LS. My car had several options that the salesman/dealership didn't spot when they priced the car. I asked the guy about the auto dimming feature on the rearview mirror... response: "It doesn't have that option". For not having that option, it seems to work very well :-) No heated outside mirrors either... not true says GM and my owners manual. He also said it didn't have remote keyless entry. The day after I bought it, I found the transmitter in the center console :-) Salesman was rather "meek" the next day when I took the car in to have the transmitter programmed :-) I heard him mutter to the sales manager: "we didn't price that car right". Pays to do your homework as it is quite possible to have more information at your disposal than some salemen have. I bought the car at an Olds dealership. They wanted to put me in an Intrigue in the worst way, but those hard seats were too much.
    Thanks for the good news, lotech. Speaking of pricing, when I shopped for an LS with the Touring springs, Monsoon radio and all those goodies you have, it was a lot cheaper to get an Abboud with all that, plus a sunroof and leather.
    I was wondering that myself as a thumbed throught the Regal catalogue. I decided against getting the rims, so I cannot answer your question.
    Just read your post.....I was very pleasantly surprised with all the standard features of the Regal.

I was looking at the Japanese Trifecta of Accord, Camry & Altima. None of those cars had the combined options of the Regal. My biggest hesitation about staying with a GM product was the resale value & quality. Got a great deal with rebates & discount to $100 over invoice, plus 5yr/60k warranty, so hopefully that will cover both items. Will pick it up in a week....cannot wait.
  • lexus998lexus998 Member Posts: 2
    i bought a 2000 regal in june 2001 and the car has broken down 5 times. I bought the regal cause it was low price and lots of stuff on it but this car is not reliable at all. This is my first Buick and will be my only buick. My 1988 Camry is much more reliable.

Should have bought another Camry dumb me.
    bought a 2000 regal in june 2001 and the car has broken down 5 times

Ex-rental?
    My car is a program vehicle less than a year old. Ran the Carfax and found the date it was purchased by the rental agency. I saved $9,000 over buying new and purchased the GM extended warranty which still saved me money. I checked out the Camry (felt like a cheap bucket of bolts), Maxima (back end uglier than cow S---) and they complain about Buick's conservative styling... ha,ha,ha.

BTW, the new Camry (59 miles on odometer) I test drove broke down and had to be towed back to the dealership (LOL). Something in the fuel system shut down.

There are lemons in every car dealers inventory whether new or used. I'm not trying to bash other makes, just posting my personal observations :-) Bottom line, buy what you like and enjoy it :-)
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    1987 Toyota Corolla I bought new. After warranty ended I got the true picture... $295 starter, $350 radiator (upper hose connection broke), new front exhaust pipe every other year at $195 a pop. Back up light switch on the auto transmission quit working... Toyota wanted $500 to replace the switch... I laughed at the service manager when he tried to set up an appointment for that one (LOL). I still can't believe I actually gave in to test driving another Toyota. BTW, a starter for my other car (91 Olds) cost a whopping $125 to replace out of warranty. No wonder Toyota owners only keep them a year or two. Not bashing Toyota, just had lousy luck with one. Your experiences may vary :-)
    I've owned both and... For the same content [6 cyl, auto air, premium tunes, leather, etc.] you're looking at about $5K more for the Camry, real world prices. Of course, the Camry is put together very neatly [no 1/2 inch gaps between body panels like they do in Oshawa every day]. But, no stainless exhaust or steel timing chain, either. A motor that will run about twice as long, though. Not so the auto trans. Very expensive service, and you need lots of it, just for routine stuff. My Regal came with ZERO defects, enough standard goodies to fill a Caddy, and gas and service bills that were real gentle. Bottom line for me - go with the Regal [I love the way the car DRIVES], but don't keep it too long.
    Not on mine.
    All trims of the current Regal have 3.8l V-6 engines. These engines have reputation of being bulletproof.
    Now that I've found the conservative car styling that I like, I hope Buick remains somewhat conservative in their designs... at least more so than that ugly Maxima rear end and those tail light lenses that they seem to have stolen off of the new Beetle.
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Back to tires if I can.... Has anyone put a set of DUNLOP's Sport SP A2's on a Regal GS??

I'm considering these as I can get a good price on them. Any stories on these tires... good or bad!!

How would they compare to the Michelins mentioned earlier in this forum?
    Nothing against our terrific 3.8 six [a Buick design, BTW]. I refer to several of my Camry'd friends whose fours routinely run past 250K miles [while expensively replacing plenty of exhausts, brakes, struts, springs, trannys and timing belts]; I would like to believe Buicks can do at least as well. Anybody out there with a line on current Regal model longevity? And, yes, I'm buying my second current model Regal.
    I am picking up a 2002 Regal LS on the 19th, does anyone still put mudflaps on cars ?

I looked around at a few cars in the parking lot at work & no one else had them.

Just curious.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I think they are only called mudflaps on trucks... I believe on a Buick they would be called splashguards... :) I'm sure you can find a GM Accessory set from your local dealer (they might have to order though).

Verdi942, as far as I know the Regal will be redone for 2004.

Evize, my brother put a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2's on a 97 Lumina and he's pretty satisfied. However, he isn't in to cars that much. That said, they must not have any annoying habits or I imagine he would at least notice that. They seem like a good all-season sport tire. They seem to have decent treadwear indexes and performance. Plus, they aren't too expensive.

Lotech1, if you want a preview of Buick's styling, check out the 2003 Ultra. You can find picts on Buick's website. I think bringing back portholes has some potential, and I like the way they put them on the Regal GNX show-car. However, the Ultra does not look right with those particular portholes in my opinion. The down-angled chrome tips and racy wheels seem a bit out of place on a Park Avenue... Just my opinion, though.
  • sschatzmansschatzman Member Posts: 2
    Trying to decide if buying a 99 Regal LS with 22,000 miles in mint condition from a Buick Dealer for $14,500 is a better decision than buying a 2002 Saturn L200 with 0% A.P.R. for $19,500. Please help. We have a good history with buying Buicks from this dealer (9 to be exact). Also is it worth buying an extended warranty?
    Any Buick with any Saturn, that is. My '99 LS, with 36K, has been a great car. It should be considered the benchmark to which all other sedans are compared. But, you already know how good Buicks are. Bargain hard for the extended warranty, though; the first big repair will pay for it; the reliability has to be at least as good as the Saturn. Heck, you can get 0% on an '02 Regal with a TMV not far north of that $19K Saturn, anyway. Good Luck!
  • sschatzmansschatzman Member Posts: 2
    What typically is the options for an extended warranty with a used car from a Buick dealer and what can one expect to pay?
  • jolarjolar Member Posts: 17
    We got rid of our 98 GS because the interior Sucked! BAD, short rear seat space, many rattles in dash, dealer could not fix,

Door Glass rattle at 70+ MPH dealer claimed all GM cars do this, unable to fix (sounded like someone tapping the glass real fast with a nickel right by your head!)

Cupholder is a joke, had to re-engineer it myself, dealer replaced but same problems, it WILL break.

Visor fell out of the headliner due to cheap plastic retainer with no screws,

Headliner replaced,

Center rear armrest doesn't fold down flat, wtf? rendering it usless for holding drinks and stuff.

Rear seats are not condusive to rear facing Child seats, unless you have short legs, cause you have to move your seat way forward. (our Neon had more rear seat space! yep)

Now if all this doesn't bother you, it's a great car, fast, torquey, great drive train and suspension. Steering is a bit loose, feels hard to control at fast acceleration and higher speeds, I think the Pontiac has better steering system in the GTP.

Very comfortable seats, good for long drives, great stereo, and lighted controls on steering wheel was smart.

I have a 2002 Maxima SE, I would SERIOUSLY consider this car, same price range, holds value better, it was my second choice in 98, should have bought it. Seems much more solid inside, better leather, roomier back seat area. Heated seats and steering wheel optional, LSD optional, Xenon headlamps std. Comparible handling, more power, avaialable 6 speed (which I got)

Paid $25,000 for the Buick, got $16,000 on trade 18 mos later! Wow. That sucked too! If you buy it, keep for 10 years, mechanically it will last just fine, the 3800 SC'd Pushrod motor? You just can't kill it.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    That might help explain their commercials...
    Just purchased one last week. Must say that the back seat room does not exist, if the front seats are back for a taller driver. I mean, I could not even get into the back seat !!!

Cannot believe this car, stickering for 24k, does not at least have a moderate amount of back seat room !!!

The car is as long as my 99 Century...wtf is the back leg room ????

Car is ballsy off the line, good brakes (ABS) & comfy seats. I agree about the front cup holder being a cheap, cheesy plastic gizmo. Fit & finish are OK so far.
    I gladly sacrificed the back seat leg room for the extra deep trunk. I have young children so it works out great for me in that I can load the trunk for vacations. If I were shopping for rear seat leg room a LeSabre or Bonneville would be better.
    Our 11 year-old son fits OK, short trips and long. On the other hand, our second car, a 98 Malibu, have more legroom. Regal is noticeable wider.

Test drove Impala once upon a time. It have more legroom and bigger trunk than Regal. Impala LS compares well with Regal LS, and the base Impala with Century. Not available with supercharger, though.
    I looked at the Impala and drove a used one. I noticed more road noise from the tires. Chevy dealer wouldn't deal with me so I went across the street and bought the Regal from the Olds guys. Impala priced $2k higher than the Regal with about the same options and more miles. Both were program vehicles. This same Chevy dealer had a same year Regal LS priced $2k more than the Olds dealer also with more miles.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Has anyone had any trouble with their ignition key not returning to the off position so you cannot remove the key? My car has been doing this intermittently and I just dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Of coarse it worked fine when I dropped it off. Just woundering if anyone else has had this problem and what had to be done to fix it.
    Had the same problem couple of times with different cars, when the gear was not put on "Park" precisely. Everything worked right after switching gears forth and back. Possible the interlock in your car is not in perfect condition.

Had the opposite problem once: could not turn the key "On" in the morning.

Called GM assistance, and they sent the AAA tow track. The truck driver / mechanic fixed it by shaking the steering wheel. I tried it myself, but was afraid to do it strong enough. The mechanic, a very strong guy, with big hands, shaked it violently, and everything vas fixed.

Our driveway is sloped, and we are turning the weels to side as extra precation when parking. Just in case, for the cars not to run on the street.

The mechanic explained, that the steering was locked by the car weight with power down. Cannot turn them without power steering, but cannot start with steering locked. Catch 22.

We have to turn the wheels when parking on slope, but never turn to the limit...
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know where to get these. I have the chrome wheels and I think the chrome exhaust tips would be a nice touch.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Well I found out the problem with my ignition. The dealer says it is the shifter and It will be about $550.00 to replace! OUCH!
    Has anyone here "done it themselves" ?

Just wondering how difficult it was to access the filter & the drain plug ?
    Plug is easy. I highly recommned installing a change valve either from Fram (found at many auto parts stores ) or Fumoto www.fomotovalve.com. I have fumotos on all my cars, makes changing oil much easier

Filter, a little harder to get to but not bad, ramps make it relatively easy.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I remember turning the wheel to the right exposed the filter reach in and remove and replace it. No jack, no jackstands, no ramps needed.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    Has anyone replaced the struts with heavier components, such as KYB, Monroe, Koni, etc.? I bought a used 2002 with 16,200 mi. and it needs some damping help. I immediately replaced the FR680 cardboard tires with Yokohama Avid S/T 235x60x15, fit just fine and they are as different as night and day--yes, better. Best of all the Avids were $215 complete including delivery from Tire Rack. This is an excellent car, it could be 4 or 5 inches longer to give it a little more rear leg/trunk room but otherwise a lot for the money, plus the Buick name and its relative invisibility. Thanks for any suggestions or shared experiences. --Nickatnight
    In my area they are advertising new 2002 LS for $18800, appx $5000 off sticker. That is the price leader with no options; all the other LS on the lot had a $700 package with auto climate control etc. but dealer said he would give equivalent deal on those. In my opinion you cannot beat this deal with a stick. Try Crain Automotive in Conway AR if you're not too far away, but surely other dealers in the USA have the same incentive $$. Rotsa Rukk.
  • ronny_55ronny_55 Member Posts: 7
    I gave $18,660 for wifes 02 LS with the LS Premium Package (upgraded radio, Floor mats, trunk net etc etc) at Landers Olds Buick GMC in Benton Arkansas about 7 mo ago.
    Filter is on the passenger side... looks like the wheels turned either way would allow easy access.
    You practically have to raise the dead to get a new car salesman to notice you in their showroom. They been in business too many years is my guess, and I won't go there for service unless they change their attitude. Charlie Sattler Olds in Springfield was real good to me.

Giuffre is not pronounced "Goof-re" but it might be fitting from my experience.
    Does anyone have a line on what changes [if any] GM/Buick will be making to their current offerings [$2002; $750 lease loyalty; $500 Abboud discount] in May? My dealer is trying to get me into an '02 LS by Tuesday in the worst way by warning of higher prices afterwards. Thanks!
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I don't think they'll get any better as time goes on. What GM is offering now is what they would typical offer during Sept - December for previous model years.

Prices won't go up much if at all. But the incentives are too good to pass on if you're a buyer.
    Thanks, Bushwack; I'm with you on this. I see where Honda and Saab are offering cheap leases that are about the same as GM's incentives. So, it's off to my dealer this week for a new LS. Unfortunately, the giveaways of three years ago are gone for now.
    The salesman is pushing you to meet his monthly quota ( you probably knew that already ). I have not heard of any changes to the rebates. I just purchased a 2002 Regal LS. My first suggestion to you is try to sit in the back seat when the driver's seat is back.

NO LEG ROOM !!!!

If that is not important to you, then go for it.
    What is wrong with the FR680 tires on the Regal ?

I just bought a 2002 Ls & want to know what you think is wrong with the tires ?
    Elmo, they are 70 series tires and they are made for easy livin'. If you aren't inclined to corner hard they should do fine. Better 65- or 60 series tires will tighten things up considerably in the turns. The Yokohamas made a 10+ mph difference on my #1 exit ramp, from being ready to slide off at 40 mph to taking it at 50+ mph. With the FR680s it would heel over and squeal badly; with the Avids it digs in and just goes around the corner. I consider higher-performance tires a safety factor even if you don't hot dog it. Once you get used to them you will not want to go back to 70 series. Driveon...
    Just drove home an '02 LS Abboud to replace my '99 LS. The Touring pkg makes a BIG difference in ride and cornering. All I wanted was the Touring and the Monsoon tunes; it was CHEAPER to get the Abboud pkg and pay extra for the speakers. And yes, I helped them meet their end-of-month quota with almost 30% off. The Regal is even more the gold standard for American family sedans. Can't beat it!