Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Regal

Comments

• Options
    jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I see that Mercury is touting their new 2003 Marauder. They say it now has 302 ponies, but I didn't see a 0-60 time. It weighs more than the '94-'96 Impala SS did, so my guess is that the Regal GS will still beat it in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. They said one of its competitors is the Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. I wonder why the Regal GS wasn't also listed as a competitor?
  • Options
    verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    About 30-32 [ONCE clocked 35!] in steady road work on flat ground, no traffic @ 70+mph. Hills and traffic bring it down, but high 20's, at least.
  • Options
    BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I live in L.A. and 90% of my city the past month and has in the city. With the a/c on, I'm getting 15 MPG. In the past, travelling the freeways to Palm Springs or Santa Barbara, with the a/c on and going 70MPH I'd get 27+ MPG. I can get 30+ MPG doing 55 MPH, but who can drive only 55?! Oh bee-have!
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Not a direct competition. Marauder costs about $5000 to $7000 more, than Regal GS. Much bigger. Etc.
  • Options
    GS is burning about 10% more gas than LS even with ideal driver.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I get 30-31 on the highway at 70. Around the city very low 20s. Overdrive is very nice, only turning 2000 RPMs at 70.
  • Options
    I own the '98 & wife owns the 2000. Her's is getting slightly better mileage than mine, maybe because of a newer engine. Although, I must admit, I hammer the pedal more than she does. Her mileage is pretty close to armtdm's (above).
  • Options
    robvig12000robvig12000 Member Posts: 16
    Buick had a stylistic hit with the 1984 Skyhawk T-Type. They extended that to the Century. Was there ever a Regal T-Type? They should return to that kind of styling. Sporty but still refined. The styling of Buicks these days is boring as dirt.
  • Options
    pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Yes there was a Regal T Type. If I am not mistaken it was just like the Grand National without the trim package.

As for MPG just did a 400 + mile trip 80-85 mph and averaged about 22. It bears saying again Ya gotta love the Regal with the Michelin Pilots vs. stock Eagle LS.
  • Options
    tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Like Verdi942's Regal, my '99 with 25k miles also has hard shifts. The problem is intermittent, but seems to be occurring more frequently now. Have yet to determine a pattern.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Happened to notice your post about hard shifting and it being intermittent. My 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue is currently under the knife for this problem. What mine started doing one night was literally "slamming" into each gear. There was also a loud "whine" that varied with engine speed when it did this. Parked the car for an hour and drove it again and it shifted fine(noise gone too). Took it in Thursday morning and they still have it. Got a call from the service guy thursday afternoon and he said that when they dropped the transmission pan there were metal particles in there and that they were going to remove it completely to inspect it further. He said at least we're looking at a rebuild and if the case is damaged they will replace the entire unit. I thought it was really strange that it started shifting harshly that once then worked okay afterwards. Dealer didn't really have an answer as to why but he said when they road tested the car, it was slipping. That must have either been new or they were doing something I've not done because I've never had it slip. Just thought I'd post since the Regals use the same transaxle as the Intrigue(I believe they do anyway).
  • Options
    regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    We have a 2000 LS Regal.Last summer we took a 6000 mile trip to the NW and averaged 28.8 mpg with 3 people,lots of luggage,AC on,and mostly over 70 mph.On the way home we filled up with gas at Evanston,WY and with my teen aged son driving we drove 474 miles to Denver,CO at 75 mph on a tank of gas and got almost 34 mpg for the best ever.

Regal T-Types were made and I own both a 1984 and a 1986 Regal T-Types.They are the same car as a the Grand National with out the trim and have the turboed V-6 that runs like crazy.The 86-87 T-Type Regals are the most desirable as they are intercooled.My 86 is a blast to drive.
  • Options
    verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    My '02 LS, with <2K, is going in next week, BECAUSE OF slippy starts from rest, sloppy shifts going up or down AND occasional hard starts; not enough zip; using too much gas. Strangely, the curb idle seems a tad low [that should SAVE gas], which may explain the slippy starts as the torque converter may not be fully engaged at that point. Since both motor and transaxle have electronic controls [one big 'module'?], I'm guessing that there's a problem there. Finally, when I had the intermittent hard shifts/tranny whine problem in my '99 LS, the service manager said something about downloading updated software into the control module. [I traded it in without ever being certain the problem was solved]. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? As to the metal particles in the trans, it sounds like a result of the hard shifts, rather than the cause of them.
  • Options
    GM have the following database, accessible from Internet: http://calid.gm.com/vci/
  • Options
    wisconsinwisconsin Member Posts: 2
    Fist would like to say "hi" to everyone. I've read a great many posts to which some I agree with and some I don't. I'm sure I don't have the mechanical aptitude as many of you, but I have owned several "hotrods" and have formed opinions about many things. Some of the vehicles I've owned in the past are '72 Olds Cutlass with a 455., '74 Plymouth Road Runner GTX (very rare car with 440 and air.) '79 Trans Am (403 Olds), and a '92 Camaro (350). Now I am a family man so to speak and have a '98 GS. Some things that come to mind with this car. Acceleration is effortless. I really like the 3800sc engine. I get an average of 24 mpg with a mix of city/hwy driving. Handling: While at first I was dissapointed, I have now reconsidered. The car is a bit heavy on turns and does sway more than I would like, but it is acceptable. This is also the first front wheel drive car I have owned so it took some time getting used to. On the hwy. it's fine, but the wife Accura Interga would blow me away around the neihgborhood. Problems: I had to replace my climate control read-out at aprox. 40k., and my CD player seems to have a lot of errors and will not even play some cd's. Anyone have an idea why? Enough rambling for my first post. I love the car though!
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Did your climate control have to be replaced because the display conked out? My Dad's 97 GS (new style, late 97) had the display conk out too. The whole unit has to be replaced. I called some local electronic repair places (on a Delco place) but they didn't want to mess with it. For now, he hasn't done it, but just pushes the temp buttons when it's too hot or too cold until it's just right...
  • Options
    wisconsinwisconsin Member Posts: 2
    It was the digital read-out that went bad. I had the whole climate control unit replaced. The car is under warrenty untill 100,000 miles. (52k now).

I have only two areas of concern at this moment. First, my cd player will not play even some brand new cd's. Gives me an E22 or E24 and spits it out. Second, my sc boost readout occasionally will say 0.1 even with my foot off the gas. Mechanic says their very sensitive and it's not a cause of concern. Anyone else have similar problems??

Thanks.......
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I find it very alarming to even mention this, but I think my supercharger is going to have to be replaced. I have 55,000 miles on a 99 Regal GSE and have had some problems with it before, but I did not think that the SC would be one of them. I checked the fluid level because it seemed that the whine was louder than usual and not smooth. Sure enough I found the fluid level down pretty far. I bought a 4oz bottle of the fluid from a Pontiac dealer and it took almst the whole bottle.
    Anyway the car goes in Thursday morning to be checked out. I will keep everyone posted. Thank God for extended warranties. Oh I had the dealership supposedly check the fluid level at 30,000 miles like what GM recommends.
  • Options
    evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    I think this was posted some time ago, but can't find it. Out of the blue, the Low Tire
    light has come on. Checked all the tire pressures & they are fine! Has a sensor gone bad??
    Will a reset correct this. Anyone had this experience?

Ed
  • Options
    I bought a used '98 almost a month ago. The climate control display just started going dim ~30% of the time. My CD player also skips a bit, depending on which track it's playing. SC boost display also shows 0.1 with foot off pedal. I'm not going to worry about it, unless it starts showing the same symtoms as "bporter1's" car.
  • Options
    y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 GS and the low tire indictor comes on out of the blue for me too as well. I notice it comes on after I check/add air into the tires. If you have a tire with less air then the rest I believe that is what sets it off. Taking the panel off by the passenger door and doing the reset will fix this problem.
  • Options
    In response to bporter1 SC problem, I doubt that you used that much oil in the SC if the dealer checked it at 30,000 and at 55,000 miles you are low. Unless you were hot rodding between then and now. In my opinion, I don't think the dealer checked it. They might have checked it, but didn't add anything.
    Oh, you don't need an extended warranty for SC. From my understanding on previous posts here, the SC carry a 7YR/70,000 mile warranty. That is a warranty that GM doesn't let the general public know about.
  • Options
    BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Asy2112yz said, the supercharger has a 7/70 warranty that GM does not publicize (and many service guys are not aware of). If you have a problem, call Buick's 800 number and ask for the district manager who serves the dealership you patronize. In addition, let Buick start a 'ticket' to document the call.

As for the SC failing, one must really have a lead foot to put some wear and tear on the unit. The Eaton SC has been around since 1992 and is as bullet proof as the Series II engine it is bolted on to.
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    But I bet it's the same. You have to reset the tire pressure thing any time you add air to the tires. If you add air without resetting it, then it's baseline is wrong and it will think something happened to the tires. What does the owner's manual say about the tire pressure monitor?
  • Options
    pjonkheerpjonkheer Member Posts: 22
    Raced a GTP the other night... He was alone in his GTP, while I had a total of 4 people in my GSE. Now, I'm thinking to myself this isn't going to be close. He should beat me easily. However, we raced to about 90mph or so and took him by 1/2 a car length. He was never in front of me either. The only change I have made to my GSE is the K&N Air Filter. Doubtfully enough to make that big of a difference. Was a lot of fun though!!
  • Options
    Well I took it to the dealer and they said it is not the supercharger. They seem to think it may be the transmission. The car goes back in on the 10th of June where the dealership will give me a loner car. Anyway I am glad it was not the SC but I never thought that I may have to replace the transmission, especially since GM automatics are some of the best in the world. Will keep everyone posted on what happens. Hey y2112yz are you by any chance a huge Rush fan? If you are I am too.
  • Options
    My question to bporter1 is at 55,000 miles has the transmission had the fluid changed recently or at all since you have owned the car. I know Dexron III fluid is suppose to be good for 100,000 miles, but I don't buy it. Considering the cost of replacing a transmission, eventhough the 4T-65 is pretty solid. Changing the fluid at 35,000-40,000 would be a good idea, not just for bporter1, but anyone. I would rather spend 60-70 bucks for a fluid change now, then $1000 or $1500 for a tranmission replacement. Just old school maintenance way of thinking..
    And yes I am a Rush fan.. will be seeing them on July 20 here in Chicago.
  • Options
    A better idea is to have a complete transmission flush/refill. It costs ~$150, but it's worth it.
  • Options
    y2112yz, to answer your question about changing the fluid, no I did not have it changed. I guess I bought into the GM fluid schedule and that is changing it at 100,000 miles. Anyway I was talking to a mechanic friend ad he said it is probably a bearing that is going inside the transmission. He says it will sound like a low pitched siren. Unfortuneately I have heard that sound the day I bought the car and always thought it was the whine of the supercharger. The sound changed a little and that is why I took it into the dealer to check it out. I feel kinda dumb. And I will be seeing Rush on July 11 in Holmdel NJ.
  • Options
    lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    I get about 22 in town with a 2002 LS, 18000 mi. High 20s on hiway at speeds under 90. My tire warning has falsed twice in the past month. I am not willing to keep resetting it...there must be a faulty sensor or elec. glitch. Put KYB struts on and would suggest Monroe Reflex instead. KYB fronts make skwooosh noise until warm, are not tight enough for my taste. Yokohama Avid S/T 235x60x15 are working fine and would try 245 if available locally. Huge difference from FR 680 Oscar Foxtrot rubber. Driveon...
  • Options
    Man be careful of the police! They just love to arrest drag racers. Several years ago, a buddy of mine almost lost his license for a year, but the judge let him off with a very strict warning.

It doesn't surprise me that your Regal GSE beat the GTP. I really think the Buick people tweak the 3800SC a little bit more than Pontiac people do. I think Buick offered the supercharged 3800 before Pontiac did. A K&N filter should give better air flow, producing more HP & torque. I wouldn't be surprised if the HP was ~245 & the torque ~285 ft-lbs. Anyone else agree with me?
  • Options
    pjonkheerpjonkheer Member Posts: 22
    Hey guy, thanks for the warning about the police. I have a Valentine One, but that will not save me from a policeman on a coffee break without his radar on. Now that I think about it, I was out in St. Charles right next to the police department. I have only raced my Buick 3 or 4 times, otherwise I just have fun on the highways. I noticed yer from IL too... Where are you located. I'm out in Naperville. PS - Gartner Buick in Naperville/Aurora is a great dealership...
  • Options
    Regal GS is somewhat invisible car. With the "retiremobil" reputation and so smooth movement, very few people expect it to move fast. Additionally, few people can tell it from Century from 100 feets. Even policemen usually would not bother to measure speed, except in "catch-all" trap.

It is hard not to recognise a race, though...

On the other hand, in the "performance shift mode" it takes only about 2-3 seconds to accelerate from 75 to 96 mph...
  • Options
    duffymanduffyman Member Posts: 3
    My '98 GS with 42K miles - - transmission wouldn't go into overdrive for about 3 miles yesterday after sitting in traffic for about 15 minutes. I have noticed slightly harder shifts of late - - it doesn't sound good. Also, my climate display also fizzled out recently, too. Guess it's time for another visit to the dealer.

These are great cars and I've only had minor problems (in the 1st year of ownership) up to now but this has me worried that major problems lay ahead. I've had a GM product in the past that had all sorts of problems at the 50K mark. I'm thinking about getting the above repaired (I do have a warranty) and dumping this thing. Too bad because I love the car otherwise but don't want to live through another GM product falling apart before my very eyes.

We'll see.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    My 2001 Intrigue is STILL in the shop for transmission repairs. Seems the reverse reaction sun shell was cracked and this is what holds the clutches in the transmission. The fact it had this problem bothers me, but I'm getting more upset that dealer had had it since Thursday of last week. Hopefully, I'll get it back Monday. Anyway, I did stop by the other day and while I was there I test drove a Regal GS. Wondering now if I shouldn't have bought one of those instead of the Olds. I like the crisp styling of the Intrigue better and it's DOHC V6 is absolutely wonderful to rev, but the sheer power of the Regal GS was very nice. Let's just say it had kind of a kick a** all American attitude about it while wrapped in an ultimate sleeper package. The ride was also smoother than the Intrigue's is. My guess is handling might now be as good, but it didn't seem all that different during my short test drive. If the transmission problems recur on the Intrigue again, I'll probably trade. I could probably do a Regal GS now, but part of me wants to hold off a year or so and get a Cadillac CTS.
  • Options
    I live in the far north section of Hanover Park. My dealer is McGrath Buick on Irving Park Road in Elgin. Every weekend during the summer (weather permitting) a lot of hot cars gather in the Taco Bell parking lot near Irving & Barrington Roads. Buicks musclecars sometimes show up (Wildcats, GNXs, GSs, & Grand Nationals), but most are Chevys, Pontiacs, & Fords. Do you know of any Buick car clubs in the NW suburbs? I've heard that some car clubs sponsor cruise nights.
  • Options
    scatratscatrat Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I acquired a 1987 Buick Regal Limited T-Type (it has the original T emblem on both front fenders) last year with 24,000 original miles. It now has a little under 26,000 miles on it. It has the Olds 307 4bbl engine, T-Type suspension and rims, with 3.08 limited slip differential.

I've been trying to find out just how many of these were built. I've the number down to 1,697 built for the 1987 model year. I've contacted Buick and the Buick Owner's Association. This is the best number they can come up with so far.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to where I might be able to find out how many of these non-turboed T-Types are out there in the Base and Limited trim? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    I have a '98 Regal GS. There's a small light in the cigarette ashtray/lighter compartment that appeared to be burned out. I replaced the bulb and it still doesn't light. Is it activated by a switch when the compartment door is opened? I realize this is a very trivial question to ask.
  • Options
    deibsdeibs Member Posts: 11
    Ok guys...i'm putting in a plug for a great forum with guys like us participating.

Try:

http://www.regalgs.org

Click on the "How To" and you will find....

Climate Control Fading Fix

Written by Brad Moore with original instructions from fugedaboudit.

Pictures by Zach Walker.

Yes...this is a simple fix. This is a problem that I had, and while under warranty, i had a swap done. If i had known about the fix posted on the Regal GS forum, I would have asked for the defective part back as a backup that i could have repaired as well.

The climate control unit is repairable. And this fix works. A number of guys have done it. Very straightforward solder job of some resistors that have come loose. The how-to section includes pics to guide you along with the fix.

Now...as regards the Superchargers on the regals being bulletproof...yes, they are fairly hardy, but they do fail. I had a failure of mine prior to 15K miles. I sprung an SC oil leak. I've talked to a lot of guys who suggest that the SC oil should be changed rather than topped off at the intervals outlined in the owner's manual. Based on my experience, I'll be changing my oil. You need a suction bulb to suck out the old oil. i'm told that when you take the oil out, you'll be surprised at how much metal debris is suspended in solution. So, better safe than sorry and change the oil rather than replace and expensive SC.

Another thing, the warranty on the SC is not a GM hidden warranty. Read your warranty manual and you'll see it's covered for an extended period of time, along with pollution control gear and some other components.

Feel free to join the crew over at the Regal GS forum. We want more members, so we can continue to share ideas and issues. There are some sharp guys over there and we're having fun modding our Regals. Hope to see you there!!!

best,

willjammer

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Has anyone experienced a squeak or a squealing in their rear brakes that the dealer couldn't duplicate? it seems to occur in my Buick everyone once in a while, I've had the rear brakes cleaned and adjusted however the noise still is there when stopping lightly on the pedal, if i make hard stops the sound is not there, any suggestions?
  • Options
    I changed mine due to posts on this board at about 22,000 miles. Oil was very clear, no debris of any kind no smell,. looked like new. I replaced with Amsoil 0W30 in lieu of the GM 5W30 synthetic recommended.

Anyone have a problem with the air bag light. Mine will not go off and seems to be triggered by weight in the trunk. Load up the trunk and light goes on. going in to dealer this week.

Has been a good car but oil leak, bad rotors and now this, annoying problems

As to gas mileage, just returned from 1200 mile highway trip averaged almost 32 mpg. Great highway car.
  • Options
    jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    I've had my 01 GS for a year and a half with no problems. I only have about 10,500 miles on it. Best mileage I got on the highway was 26.4mpg and maybe in the area of 20 to 22 in town, depending on how I drive.

I don't care what some people say, my GS a sharpe looking car (Sterling Silver, Aboud edition). For the $s I paid, it's a quick, very smooth running car! Love the engine/ transmission combination.... Bought it over a Lincoln LS, Maxima, Passat V6, Avalon, Infinity I-30, Volvo S80 (what a dog with out the turbo), BMW 3 Series (overpriced hunk of metal with snobs for dealers!)... Dollar for dollar the GS beats them hands down!

I had better stop while I am ahead?
  • Options
    Ditto!! Like the Corvette, the GS has "more bang for the buck" than most other sedans. I'm sure just about everyone in this forum would agree.
  • Options
    lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    "Bang for the buck" is what makes the Regal what it is... not perfect but I'm not complaining, especially for the price (as previously stated above). I like the styling (LS) and especially the front end and those 225x60x16 tires really make it. The color matched grill (01 and newer) give it a sportier look (IMO).
  • Options
    24,500 miles on the 2000 GSE. Oil pan leak at 750 miles, new rotors needed at 20,000 miles (warped) several tire problems and now it needs a drivers side airbag, light refused to go off.,

Beginning to think this was built by workers with severe hangovers!
  • Options
    lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    I often wonder how many cars get assembled using parts from the reject bins (by mistake or deliberately). My wife owned a Toyota that nickel and dimed us to death and those "Toy" parts cost an arm and leg. Our local Toyota dealer is running an ad claiming their Toyota owners are getting 200K to 300K without any major mechanical problems. Funny how they omitted our Toyota in the ad (bought from them). It barely made it to 120K.
  • Options
    sdcoburnsdcoburn Member Posts: 2
    After being in an accident where my Cavalier was totalled, I was happy to find a 1992 Buick Regal. It's been great for the three months I've owned it, but two weeks ago it began to stall while running, which means no steering or brakes. Sometimes it would start back up if I put the car in neutral and turned the key, other times it wouldn't start for hours. The mechanic (who also sold it to me) replaced the ignition module. On the way home, it lost power again 3x, but started back up. Fortunately, no one was in front of me. The mechanic says this is a normal thing, common to Buicks; I can't imagine. He doesn't have any idea what could be causing this, and I need a reliable car that doesn't lose driving power in traffic. Does anyone have information on this problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    You wrote: The mechanic says this is a normal thing, common to Buicks

How it can be normal to drive on public roads, without steering and brakes?

It is so dangerous to everybody around, that, I guess, ought to be criminal. The car must be towed only. Would it be common problem, all these cars would be recalled a long ago.

The mechanic is lying. Look for another mechanic. And hope it is something not very expensive, for example a fuel pump.
  • Options
    sdcoburnsdcoburn Member Posts: 2
    I am taking it to another mechanic, this one has had the car for over two weeks, telling me he is swamped with work. The fuel system was checked and passed for pressure, perhaps this is an electrical/computer glitch. A VIN check revealed that the car was driven 40,000 miles in four years, and it leaks whenever it rains, front driver's side, sunroof and trunk.
    Thanks for the input, yurakm.