Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    The Intriguers are killing off Buick next.

Time will tell.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    peufan - Olds is being killed because it MAKES NO MONEY.
    I believe Buick, with its superior cars, MAKES MONEY.
    At least, we hope so.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Well, IMHO...(by the way sorry to hear about the baby 96GS)....TO JPSTAX IMHO this example is a plus for an extended warranty. I do not have yet on my 00 GS but will, it pays for itself. It is almost impossible to do any repairs to cars these days unless routine. $970 is the cost of my 5 yr/60 K with a $100 deductible. On my 94 GTP two visits post warranty at about 40 K and it paid for itself. Extended Warranty is good if you will keep the car for over 36 mo or 36K. Ignition switch alone was $200 labor, imagine what other items cost. The 3800 is bulletproof but knowing how GM altenators are (ha ha) useless. You will be out $300+ one altenator repair beyond 36K, plus heaven forbid the supercharger does something that is $2700 alone.
    Plus, Buick will now remain as the
    "near luxury" division with lots of room to
    go after whatever gap Olds will leave.

In my perception, Olds, despite their attempt
    to establish themselves as an Import fighter
    seemed a duplication of Buick.

The way I see things:

Caddy - Lux

Buick - Near Lux/performance

Pontiac - Young, impulsive performance

Chevy - American Pie, can't afford a Buick or
    didn't want the image

Saturn - Patriotic, didn't want a Corolla

GMC - My truck is more serious than the Chevy truck.

GM could save even more cash by junking
    Chevy Trucks, keeping GMC and combining
    Pontiac & Chevy for more of a full range;
    sporty performance all the way into american
    pie family fare.

Well; that oughta make some people mad
    (not meant to though).
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    pacinpelo- Ya I really wish I had bought the extended warranty now. Makes me kind of nervous that something so minor cost so much.

I hate to see Olds go but the weak die and the strong go on.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I don't want to start a war and I'll admit, I like Buicks too, but the decision GM made today to drop Olds should scare Buick fans as well. GM HAS MADE IT CLEAR, THEY ARE CUTTING ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE A PROFIT FOR THEM AND THIS INCLUDES VALUABLE BRANDS WHICH HAVE EXCELLENT POTENTIAL IN THE LONG RUN. Call it looking out for short term interests. Someone said that GM would not cut Buick because Buick makes them a profit, that may be so now but Buicks profits are declining year by year. The Park Avenue only sells about 1/2 as well as it did just 3 years ago and Regal sales are flat. The LeSabre and Century are what keeps Buick alive and the customers of these cars are aging every year. Again, I like Buicks, but the censensus among alot of younger people is that Buicks are not "hip." Oldsmobile has a better image among most younger buyers and it seems GM still didn't care. Mark my words, if the new SUV isn't a major hit, and especially if LeSabre sales start to slide, Buick will be the next to go. Now, if GM is smart, they will give the Bravada and Aurora to Buick. The Bravada can give them another SUV and the Aurora can replace the aging Park Avenue. Buick better start looking at ways to increase their sales and lower their buyer age.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Of course, Buicks have an "old guy" image - that's been true since at least 40+ years ago. Although today's Buick mbuyers may be aging, the number of old guys is increasing. But many of them don't think old. That's a problem for the future.

So, what do we have now? [These are the findings of my low-priced "focus group of one-namely, me].
    We have LeSabre, which outsells all the others in its group put together [which includes Crown Vicky and Marquis].
    We have Century, a good-selling Camry fighter [which could use some of the Camry's build quality].
    We have Park Avenue, a true "Baby Caddy", well worth the money that beats any Olds design by many miles [except, maybe, looks vs Aurora].
    And, we have Regal, a brilliant design combining baby Caddy content, Century compactness, Park Avenue power and low-key looks. Plus BMW-beating performance [in a straight line]. Plus it's cheap for what you get. Does the old guy image of the name, "Buick" keep GM from selling 100,000 of these every year? Maybe.
    And don't put much faith in the new SUV. It's based on the Pontiac Aztek platform at a time when SUV's are a glut on the market.
    What we need is good management, something GM hasn't had for at least 35 years. Olds simply had the worst of the managers.
    Judging by build quality, I think Buick has some of the better ones. [Many fingers crossed].
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If GM scrapped the Chevy truck and went with the GMC, Ford truck sales would double overnight. As the Chevy truck outsells GMC Sierra 3 to 1. And most of the 'rado ownerw wouldn't be caught dead in a Sierra even though they are the same truck...LOL!!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    This is the confirmed replacement of the F-Body Pontiac Firebird/TransAm beginning in 2003:

http://www.speedster.opel.com/

Pontiac will sell this baby...I guess Pontiac and Chevy will get some of the Opel gems within the next few years.
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    Last Sat morn we were searching the internet for a 1998-2000 Buick Regal LS to replace my wifes 91 Regal go to work car.The Buick dealer at Harrisonville,MO had some cheap priced 2000 Regal LS program cars so we went up to look at them.Our favorite was a loaded Green 2000 LS with 18,400 miles,leather,aluminum wheels,etc for only $15888 which was nearly $10,000 under new list and $2500 under book.Our salesman wasnt pushy and didnt even take our names.We went back last evening and bought it and drove it home.This is a nice dealership that prices its cars low to start with and they arent hard sell.I offered less than they were asking but knew they wouldnt accept it as it was priced right.I did not get the extended warranty with it but they do have one now where if you never use it you get your money back which makes one alot more desirable.Knock on wood but I have never lost an alternator on a GM product but sure have on my farm tractors.I hate to see Olds go but kind of expected it.I think Buick will be around for awhile as they have made GM money.We had 8-15" snow here today so it was a mess getting to work but the 91 Regal did great.The wife is a school teacher so she had the day off and no school tomorrow either.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    I am not surprised about the demise of OLDS. All their cars look alike! At least with the 99 Aurora you had a distinctive automobile. Then in 2000 OLDS essentially killed the Aurora spirit by introducing a bland clone!

Buick is not far behind. I like my Regal, but let's face it, Buick only sells 2 lines of cars, the Park Avenue/LaSabre and the Regal/Century. Hopefully the new SUV will do something, but I doubt it. Buick should go back to the old days of Wildcats and Roadmasters. Give both Cadillac and Lincoln a run for their money! But I dream....
    Where'd everybody go? Did the new format scare everyone off?
  • gt1953gt1953 Member Posts: 7
    That is correct and now have a 2001 Firebird...the reason no one rides with us any more no not a mid life crisis either. Just wanted to have fun b fore I get that caddy. the only GM car yet to be owned and drive by us.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    The 3800 supercharged engine in my GSE is a jewel. It is powerful, smooth, and quiet. I see people on the Olds Intrigue board trying to say the overhead cam engine in the Olds is better. The pushrod 3800 series might be older technology, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think this engine should go down in history as one of the best GM ever designed.
    I feel the interior of the Regal is excellent. Only slight improvements are needed. The exterior is good but the rear of the car should maybe be squared off some for a bit more style.
    The Regal should sell as well as the Camry and Maxima. I don't think 20 somethings will ever buy Buicks, but they should sell a ton of Regals to people like me. I'm 33 and bought the car mainly for my wife and 3 year old, but find myself loving to drive it.
    Buick's marketing and advertising is a joke. At least open the hood and/or show the leather interior during a commercial.
    Just my opinion.
    So far don't like it! Takes too many mouse clicks to get to this Regal Town Hall discussion site! But I guess I'll get used to it:-(
    i don't like the new format. i've tried to post several times and have been unsuccessful.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The Regal GS interior is very comfortable. But the dash needs improvements:

1. The single stalk is not as convenient as two when working with washer and wipers. And I'd prefer the high beam to be switched on by pushing the stalk from me, as with most of other cars.

2. The air condition and radio buttons all looks and feel alike. Must remove my eyes from the road and look on them. Not a right thing to do when driving.

3. The vents are not adjustable enough for my taste.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I'll try to make this short and in note form. I know long posts can be annoying but I think everyone can gain something from my (un)favorable experience buying a new 2000 Regal GS. experiences. Although the car is for my sister-in-law, I'll speak in first person for I did handle the business end of the purchase.

Last week, after finding the GSE I was searching for, I made a deal with a Buick dealer in the San Fernando Valley (here in Los Angeles). Bought the car at $340 under invoice (for a GSE model). Showed up the next day to sign the papers and they try and hit me up for a $600 documentation fee! I walked.

A couple days later, went to a Buick dealer near Hollywood. To make a long story short, this sales manager was a piece of work. He was willing to let me have the car for invoice as long as I signed over the GM rebate to him. I couldn't help but laugh in his face as I stood up from the chair and walked away. As I headed to the door, he kept knocking $100 off the price until I turned around and clarified to him: "So Danny, you'll sell me the car for $26,300 + T & L and you get my rebate. So the deal you're giving me is $1,600 under MSRP". Sure enough, he proclaimed it was the best deal I'd ever get. I laughed as I walked out the door. Should you live in L.A. and come across a Buick dealership on La Brea Ave., continue driving - unless you want a good laugh at the 'great' deal you'll be offered.

Today, went to a Buick dealer in another section of L.A. Without haggling, I explained to the salesperson I was a knowledgeable buyer (as I mentioned to the previous dealerships) and I gave him a price of $750 below invoice for a GS model (couldn't find a GSE in the desired color). I expected the salesperson to return showing me the invoice and telling me he couldn't go lower. But after a few minutes, he returned asking for $100 more...and the deal was done. No moaning, no bitching, no haggling - it was a pleasure! It took another 60 minutes to get the papers in order and off I went in a new 2000 GS loaded with everything except heated seats. Throw in GM's $2000 rebate _AND_ a $500 Buick coupon that "Peufan" was so kind to offer me and the car left the lot (including T & L) for over $3,500 less then the $28,510 MSRP. BTW, documentation fee was $45.

For those in SoCal looking for a loaded 2000 GS/GSE, there are less then 6 remaining. Personally, I highly recommend Alhambra Buick-GMC just a few miles east of downtown L.A. Aside from getting a fair deal, the professionalism was top-notch as was David, the salesperson.

One more thing: Dealing with E-Loan was also a pleasure. If you're seeking financing, search out companies like E-Loan on the net. The rate was favorable and the paperwork process with the dealer was smoooooth. Much, MUCH smoother then cars I have bought in the past using conventional bank loan financing.
    This new format absolutely sucks!!!! I just posted something and when I clicked "post my message" it took me back to the screen where you choose the forom(sedans, coupes, SUVs, etc) and when I come back in here, the post is gone!! Thanks alot Edmunds.
    Everytime I go in or out of Town Hall the screen changes. I was just here five minutes ago and Buick Regal 3 was second from the top. Five minutes later it's like eighth down. The words aren't highlighted either like they used to be after clicking on a topic. It's like the thing forgets you were even here. Very frustrating and user unfriendly. I can see why there's been a dramatic drop in postings in the past few days. The rest of the board is like a ghost town. Once active topics have become dormant and dried up. Kind of depressing. I hope they fix it soon.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!
    Have you ever driven a GS? Your lease is up soon right? Those 240 ponies are calling your name!
    Everytime I try and post a message of more than a few sentences it wont post it and takes me back to the home page.No wonder its dead in here.!If it aint broke dont fix it!
    I will keep this short to see if it will post.Our 98 GS recently rolled by 30,000 miles so it was time to check the supercharger oil level for the first time.Friday I got a (4) ounce bottle of SC oil for $7.24 at our local dealer.I pulled the plug yesterday and it took almost (3) ounces to fill it.So,I will be checking the SC oil level every second oil change now.I wonder what the oil capacity is for the supercharger?
    He hit the nail on the head.Buick is doing a poor job of marketing their cars.Lots more Regals should be sold.Tiger Woods isnt helping them any.Olds can have the DOHC 3.4 motor.I will take a dependable 3800 Buick pushrod motor anyday!
    Is anyone else besides me and etharmon having problems posting?Its getting to be very disgusting!It took (5) tries to get my supercharger oil post #174 on.I have trouble being brief and I'm a slow typist.
    Every time I come back to the site, something changes! Hopefully we will get used to it and Edmunds will refine it!
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    Thanks for the tip, I just turned 30,000 myself. The manual says to go to the dealer to have the oil checked so it doesn't discribe where the plug is. Can you tell me where to look? Thanks.
    Hey nice name! :)

I haven't had any trouble posting but I am a fairly fast typer. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I don't like how the topics change positions everytime I visit the Sedans page though.
    I will certainly consider a Regal GS to replace my 98 Intrigue next summer. The kicker will be what kind of deals and finance options Olds has versus Buick. If Buick has some good deals then I would seriously consider a GS. What colors do you guys think the Regal looks best in? On the Intrigue I like the midnight blue, bronzemist, sterling, and black.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I had trouble posting also. This new format is kind of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. My Black GSE looks great, but takes some time to clean properly.
    I like black the best. I test drove a white GS also and it really looked nice as well. Black is very hard to keep clean, so you have to have a lot of time and patience.

I looked seriously at a '98 black Intrigue with the 3.5 a few weeks ago. It really looked nice and the interior was also really nice. I really like the car, but I think I want a little more power.
    99gs,Find the supercharger drive pulley and then look 4-5" to the right of it.There is a little plug there that takes a 3/16th allen wrench to unscrew it.Its pretty snug.Its almost straight down from the plastic cover over the engine.Fill with supercharger oil until you reach the bottom of the threads.It only took me about 5 minutes to do this.Remember to do it while the motor is cold.Good Luck.Doing it yourself will save alot of money.
    Thanks for the directions, regalluvr1. I'll post to let you know how much oil it took. Since I haven't gotten the oil yet I was just curious if the supercharger oil was thicker or thinner than motor oil?
    99gs,The supercharger oil is real thin like mineral oil and very expensive.If Buick sold it by the quart it would be $60.00 but I doubt anyone of us would ever use a quart in the life of our cars.Be sure and blow any dirt away from the fill plug before removing it.
    I go away for a few days and they "remodel" the whole place.

This is more of a "test" than anything else, just to see if I can post.

Bushwacked, glad to hear that it *finally* worked out with the
    deal you wanted.

Like I said to you privately, some of those dealers assume
    all buyers are uneducated idiots just frothing at the mouth to
    overpay them for their cars.

Nuff said (testing 1, 2, 3 I'm gonna hit the post button
    If the Intrigue you looked at was a 98 then it had the 3800 V6 as they did not get the 3.5 until 99.
  • jdinstljdinstl Member Posts: 10
    Hi folks!

After driving a '93 Pontiac Transport mini-van for 134,000 miles of sterling performance, I finally broke down and traded it off on a spiffy little 2000 Regal LSE. What sold me on this was the leather interior, sunroof, and 3800 engine (which is what I had in the Pontiac).

Now granted, my Regal isn't as quick and aggressive as most of your GS supercharged vehicles, but I still love it.

What I'm wondering is, any tips, comments, "watch out for's" that you can advise me? Also, this is my first car with a leather interior -- what is the best way to take care of it?

Thanks for any info.

John aka jdinstl
    etharmon- My fault, you're right, it was a '99 not a '98. It did have the 3.5 but I didn't drive it. I kind of wish I did to see how it was though.

jdinstl- Congratulations! Even the unsupercharged 3800 is very peppy and no slouch in the performance dept. either. There's really not much to look out for because there really aren't too many problems to report. Some have reported an annoying dash rattle, but that's about it. As far as leather, I use Meguires (sp?) leather treatment that you just rub right into the leather. Works great. I do it two or three times a year. Keeps your leather soft and clean.
    Can someone recommend a 6 disc CD magazine to complement the Monsoon system? Seems Buick isn't prevy as to which CD magazine will work with the Monsoon system. Monsoon has no mention on their web site either.

Any info/specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    You made a wise decision in purchasing a 2000 Regal LSE.Just do your routine maintenance and you should have alot of trouble free miles.I still change oil every 3000-3500 miles.Just a week ago we got my wife a 2000 LS.It and our 98 GS have leather interiors.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I just visited the RT sight and theres a guy there racing Camaro's and Mustangs thinking he is keeping up. I used to own a Mustang and I know my Regal would not beat it. I just wounder what these guys are thinking. The RT is over a full second slower to 60mph than the Regal. Mybe they should try racing V8 Camaros and Mustangs.
    I have an 01 Regal with 478miles and like it ---allot! Will let you know if and when I have problems!
    It's interesting how we both came to the same conclusion from two different directions. I was convinced when I bought this car that it would be a foreign make. I tried TL, I30, Accord V6, Camry V6, Pas sat, & Audi. The last car I drove was a Regal LS. It had a great combination of driving characteristics that won me over. I never really considered a GM car until I drove the Regal. I ended up with a 99 GS. You had a good experience with your GM van and you wanted something with that same motor which is a great testimonial. Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting.
    Edmunds seems to have added a couple of new buttons down near the bottom of the messages. You should see a check messages, subscribe and message center buttons. It appears that you can subscribe to the board and it will automatically check for new messages. If you save the message center address as a bookmark I think it will have all the new messages and then you won't have to go through the shenanigans to get to the latest posts. I hope!
    I'm not sure about other brands, but a GM/Delco changer should work with the Regal's in dash radio. If I'm not mistaken, the car is already prewired for it or at least they used to do this.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    When I drive with the seat heater on, even Lo, I feel a burn smell. Rather light - my wife does not feel it - but I do not like it.

My car is rather new, bought it only two month ago. I hope the smell is not from leather, but from wax, or something of this kind and will go away.

Did anybody else feel this? Did the smell go away?
    From what I've gathered so far, an AC Delco CD magazine will not work for it is a Monsoon system. A rep from Circuit City told me I need to look at Panasonic. I have an e-mail inquiry to the Monsoon people and I'll see what comes of it.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Do you ever have to change the Supercharger Oil? It seems odd that you would just keep checking its level without changing.

Bushwack-Let me know what you hear from Monsson on CD changer.

(I do not like the new posting format)
    I just read in another forum of a web site that has just about everything covered in regards to anything that is audio automotive. At this link () ...and I hope this link works....it shows a GM 12 disk magazine for $360 excluding harness. Seems expensive. Nevertheless, take a look at it as a "FWIW". I'll get back to ya'll when I find out more from Monsoon and at 800-4A-Buick.
    So far no smell with the heated seats, though haven't used them too much. We have in excess of 20 inches of snow so the new Regal is staying in the garage for awhile. I have a van that can brave this lousy weather!