Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    I kind of have the same problem with the wind vibration too. New cars are so damn air tight anymore, unlike the old days when the wind would whistle through any kind of crack possible. In order to get rid of this problem, actually a co-worker suggested this. If you have the driver window down or the driver and passenger down, crack the other windows a couple of inches and the wind wipping through the car won't be so bad. Sounds crazy I know... I can drive down the expressways here in Chicago at 65 or 70 and the wind noise is not that bad. It won't be a gail force wind coming in either, just enough to keep you cool and the wind noise to be tollerable. The key is too keep all the windows opened the same amount.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    When I crack open my drivers window I always drop the rear window behind me about 3 inches...Wind doesn't then blow in on you...Also, tire pressure...Been long time since had factory tires [get rid of them as soon as possible] but always use 32 psi....
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    During the summer, I put 32 psi front and 30 psi in the rear on the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS tires. With the rainy season around the corner (as much rain as L.A. gets), I'll use 28-30 psi on all corners.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I noticed 44psi is the maximum pressure for these tires. Why Buick wants us to set pressue at 30 psi...I suppose it makes the ride softer and creates more tire/road contact.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    To get the best all-around performance from those Goodyear LS's? My LS, with GT springs, was delivered with only 25 PSI. Great if you like a soft ride and some corner squeal! I tried 32 PSI all around; great if you don't mind a few shocks, no squeals and about 2-3 mpg more! Maybe the 30 PSI sticker is the best, after all.
  • john337john337 Member Posts: 8
    Ok, last night, on the freeway it was empty, my break-in period over and I wanted to see how fast I could go.....well at 110 it cut out! Totally sucks, how do I disable that?
    108 MPH is the limit set on the Regal GS per a computer chip (the Gran Prix GTP's top speed is either 128 or 134 before the chip kicks in).

Wanna go faster??? You'll need to change the chip (if possible). Some of the enthusiast web sites for the Gran Prix may have that info (read thru the Gran Prix forum here in Edmunds).
  • y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    I too back the 108 MPH limiter on the GS. I tested mine on a long back road in Iowa. It stinks I know. The Grand Prix's I think are limited to 126 or 128 MPH, I forget. The top speed on the S/C 3.8L is like 142 MPH. Any event, in older PCM's you could install a chip to change the rev limiter setting. Most new cars you can't do that. I did this to my old Lumina though, where you can open the PCM and install a chip that plugs into the stock PROM.
    Most new cars you either have to send the whole PCM to a company that can change this or there are devices out there that you can plug into the diagnostic port underneath the drivers side and change the RPM setting that way. If any people on this board have done or know if this is possible or not, please let the rest of us know. Or can you take the PCM from a Grand Prix GTP and install it on a Regal GS. Same engine and transmission. Possible??? Wishfull thinking I know...
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    My 97 GS cuts out at 111mph. So there seems to be a little variance.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    You can also go to grandprix.net, which has a link to the gp store, which also has Impala, Regal, etc. stores connected. Can get lots of stuff, including Konis if you are so inclined. Good luck...one often wonders what the geniuses at GM are thinking. --LAMRON
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    With rear windows down, lots of vibration noise, on my toyota too.

Tire pressure, if 44 psi is max I run 42 all year. Harsher ride but much better wear and handling. If pressure max 35 psi I run 33.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'm actually considering looking at a Regal GS. I have a 2001 Olds Intrigue which I love(131 mph top speed) but have a recurring tranmission problem which can't seem to be repaired. Local Buick dealer is selling 03s at invoice and financing for 60 months at 0%. They have some 02s remaining as well so I can only wonder what type of deal can be had on one of those. I like the Intrigue's crisper styling and tighter handling over the Buick's, but a GS at a good price might tempt me. GS owners, feel free to chime in about your car and how you like it. Thankfully the Olds is covered under warranty for 60K so I'm not out any $$, it's just the inconvienience of having to take it in for service for the same problem multiple times. If a Regal GS doesn't tempt me too much(and an excellent deal) then I'll probably just hold off a year or so and buy a Cadillac CTS which is what I really want.
  • stevieb2stevieb2 Member Posts: 13
    My Regal has 47k on it so I want to change out the tranny fluid. My dealer has a machine that changes 100% of the fluid (I forgot what they called the machine) instead of the 30-50% fluid change with a dropped pan and screen change. He said they flush out the old stuff, put in a solvent to clean it out, flush that out, then refill with fresh fluid. He also said, I don't need to change the screen because the solvent takes care of cleaning it. All this for $120.

Does this sound like a good deal? I'm skeptical about the no-need-to-change-the-screen part. Thanks for your learned advice in advance.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I changed the transmission filter and fluid on my 98 Regal LS at 35,000 miles using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I am now at 80,000 miles, and the transmission performs fine.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    at 29,000 miles I recently syphoned (no drain plug) out the fluid (about 4 quarts which is about 50%) and replaced with synthetic. Manual says severe is 50,000 miles, normal 100,000 miles for a change. I personally do not like flushes as no one wants to change the filter after the flush is done which is when I feel it should be done. On another car I have 149,000 miles, drain and fill every 30,000 (a plug) and did the filter twice, once at 25000 and again at 130,000. Both times the screen was clean, only the magnets in the pan had some debree on them. Beleive the Buick has a regular filter not a screen but I have no intention of changing the filter until 100,000 miles. Some of these flush systems are nothing more then boat payments for dealers and using solvents scares me.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Coming up on two years with my GS. Still solid and a fun ride. This colder weather here in the midwest is quite welcomed by our superchargers---car seems much quicker!
  • erniechippererniechipper Member Posts: 3
    just got rid of those goodyear ls's (25,000 miles)and put on my 2000 gs, a set of michelin mvx4's. what a difference. no more squealing, and much improved handling and braking particularly on wet pavement.
    ernie - May I ask, how worn were your Goodyear LS's at 25K; what did the Michelins run you; and did the noise level change at all? Thanks.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I hope if the new GM Regal designers read this they are working on making the interior less cheap looking. They should take a close look at what Nissan and Honda are doing.

But another problem I have with my GS is the dumb looking wheels they put on this car. This car has a supercharger, it should have some sportier wheels. A nicely cut set of alloys would go a long way toward making the Regal the Buick sports sedan that they are counting on. Take a good hard look at Nissan and Infinity. I can see the LS models having old man rims, but come on with the GS already. Its pathetic. Consider some 17 inch standard on the GS also please... You want to attract a younger demographic don't you? Let's try a bit harder in the wheel department for the GS, I think you'll be surprised at the increased interest once you shake the old man image. Maybe you'll see people under the age of 70 in the service department waiting rooms for a change.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    old man rims and old man image......
  • delcomdelcom Member Posts: 5
    Out with my Dad's 02 Regal GSE the other night I found myself searching for some more action after a hotshot in a new acura 3.2tl thought he would teach me a lesson. ha! he ate it big time. I like buicks with some balls nowadays
    If you want flash, you should look at the Gran Prix GTP. The beauty of the Regal GS is its a wolf in sheeps clothing. I wouldn't mind seeing 17" rims on the GS, but again, that type of flare is for the Pontiac division.

Side note: I *think* 225/55/17 tires will work well with the current 16" rims with very minimal odometer/speedometer differential.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    GS definitely needs at a minimum 17" rims, 18,s would be a real plus. These small 16inchers just add to the "old man image" that a poster just referred to.

If I had the $$ my 16's would be off and replaced by now. Would also be looking at SLP Stage 1, 2 & 3 modifications for the GS. Our car is a great one that can be much more than it already is!
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Just reached 90k miles and it seems the car is
    getting faster!! The cooler weather also help the
    SC I think.
    Love to read the stories like the one from "delcom" blowing away the Acura 3.2!!!!

Just put new rubber on the GS... Dunlop Sport SP
    A2's. NICE tire, quiet, better control & more
    traction. I recommend them. Check out Tirerack.com and you'll see their high rating.
    Have a little over 2000 miles on my set of Dunlops...Great tire...I wholly agree with you...
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    Now in addition to all the other problems I have had with this junker which I detailed in an early post, the driver's seat heater has quit working and the dashboard electronics are starting to flake out. I am so glad I bought a 100,000 mile extended warranty on this thing. If not for that it would already be gone because it would be killing me with repair costs. Unless something at GM changes quickly I am going Japanese for the first time the next time I buy a car.
    Kdawg79, let us know the outcome of your seat heater problem, mine is out too. I also had my dash go nuts, everything would light up and the gauges would go dead or go crazy. The dealer had to send the dash assembly out to fix it.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    I have a 99 Regal LS. Under certain circumstances, the cruise control will turn itself off. This occurs when the windshield wipers are at an intermittent setting and the cruise senses an increase in engine load, such as going up a hill. If the wipers call for a cycle while the engine is accelerating, the cruise shuts down. The dealer has replaced the combination (turn signal) switch three times. It works as normal for a couple of months, then the problem returns. Anyone else having this happen? Suggestions, please.
  • mgobluejoemgobluejoe Member Posts: 4
    Turned in my leased Platinum Gray '99 Regal and bought a Graphite '02 Regal Abboud Edition in August. Since I'm buying it, I really want to take extra good care of it (although the 99 only had 15K miles after 3 years and was washed every week). So, does anyone have any recommendations on keeping the leather as nice as possible ( I noticed it was a different type of leather than in the '99)? I noticed that after turning in the '99, the leather had stretched some and had a few dimples. Also, if you know of anything I can to do to prevent any major problems later on, I'd be appreciative. The '99 held up well, great car, great ride. The only problem was that the electronic climate control screen went out after a year, but was replaced under warranty while having other routine things done.

Thanks
    pinetted,

Took the car into the dealer yesterday. They called and said the seat heater element wasn't working. Turns out it is part of the seat cover so that will have to be replaced. I am hoping to pick it up today. When I do I will let you know how much it cost to fix. Dealer said my dash problem was some deal in the steering column that sends power to the turn signals and stuff is bad. Also my chirping belt was caused by the supercharger belt tensioner going bad. They estimated the cost to fix these 3 items at $1300. Thankfully I have a 100,000 mile extended warranty.
    for GM vehicles in General. Just had my rack and pinion and a/c go out this past week at 40k miles. Only charge was $4.67 for a cleaner that wasn't covered under Major Guard. Had a paid for rental for the 5 days it was in the shop. Can just imagine what all of that would've cost me.
    Thanks for the reply kdawg79. I am wishing I had bought the extended warrenty now. As it stands I have had to replace the water pump $250.00, the dash (covered under warrenty), the shifter needs to be replace (the key won't come out when you put it in park), $500.00 and the seat heater is not working $????. I want to like this car but the problems, interior rattles and general poor fit and finish offset the performance. The car is a 97 and has around 58k on it and as it stands it is worth less than may 96 Ranger 4X4 with 66k on it.
    obyone - What's the best, cheapest way to buy Major Guard - the Web doesn't seem to have it. Thanks, Verdi.
    I recall reading of a TSB for 1997.5 thru 1999 model year Regals & Centurys regarding cruise control & winshield wipers problems. Check with your delaer. I think there were 3 TSB's issued - all involving the control stalk that contains that houses those items.
    While I have no experience purchasing the Major Guard extended warranty a quick google search turned this link to give you an idea of the investment.

http://www.joebasilchevrolet.com/major_guard.htm

I'd call around various GM dealers and get price quotes or even email some across the country.

In my case, GM gave me the 6/100k $0 deductible Major Guard in lieu of not pursuing the Lemon Law on my vehilce which service folder is over 2 1/2 inches thick with RO's.

Good luck and please post your findings as I'm contemplating getting it for my '02 Denali.

• rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    This only happens right after I start the car and turn the steering wheel the first time. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere around the firewall, directly in front of me, but hard to tell exactly where. The steering does not seem to be affected at all. Has anyone experienced this??

(98 LS)
    Thanks for the Major Guard link. According to it, a policy like yours would cost $2390.00. A 5 year, 100K mile, $200.00 deductible plan would be $1460.00. You can buy it any time so long as the original 36/36000 warranty is still in effect, and, it's transferrable. Obviously, either plan is a bargain if just a couple of things go wrong. So, I guess I have 25K to decide whether to buy.
    My ext. warranty on my GS was $1200 and will cover me for another 3 years or 40,000 miles. I have already more than paid for it with trips to the dealer.

My wifes GM Safari has paid twice the cost of her warranty and has 2 more years left.

While it seems like a huge price to pay, it will pay for itself and then some quickly. And the peace of mind is priceless.....

warrantygold.com
    warrantydirect.com free quotes
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    In case any of you are not aware of it, there's lots of good info here: Finance, Warranty & Insurance board.

:)
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    I was cruising the NHTSA website the other day and discovered that there is an ongoing federal defect investigation for engine fires on 1999 (at least) Regals. Does anyone know what this is about? Mine has had a continual problem since new with the cruise control kicking out. Any connection?
    Has anybody had this same problem? My cassette player makes a terrible sound and then says E13 ???

Thanks
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I haven't visited this discussion group for awhile, so I don't know if anyone else has asked this question. Can a dual exhaust system be installed on a Regal GS? I know part of my left rear bumper would have to be cut out to allow for the tail pipes to clear, but I'm willing to do it. I have asked Midas, Pepboys, and Merlin if they could do it. They said NO, and that it can't be done. However, the Park Avenue Ultra and Pontiac GTP have dual exhaust, so why can't the Regal GS have it?
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I don't have any experience with putting exhausts on the Regal, but I can point a few things out. One is that places like Midas really don't care much about selling you performance. They just care about being quick and convenient. It's no surprise they were of no help. Also, the Park Avenue is a completely different platform than the Regal. But you may be on to something with the GP since it is the same W-body. If you want a cheap factory GP exhaust, try SLP. They make upgrade exhausts and the GXP package for the GP. So usually they have low-mileage stock exhaust systems left over from the conversion that they sell for cheap. Then find a performance exhaust shop (try asking at a local speed shop) that can put it on for you. There may be hangers on the GP that aren't on your Regal, but I'm sure the system can be made to fit. You could also buy one of SLP's aftermarket GP exhausts if you wanted something with a bit more punch. If you just want more performance and sound, though, SLP makes a direct-replacement exhaust system for the Regal/Intrigue.
    I came across this article regarding powerful engines placed in 'mild-mannered' cars. Sometimes known as Q-ships. I never heard this term used before, but the GS could possibly fit into this category. Hmm....

Here's the article for your reading pleasure: <http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/qship.htm>

Enjoy.

Just don't tell anyone!...
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    My '98 GS has developed a problem with the front, right turn signal. I've changed the bulb,but still no signal!! The daytime running light works ok. The contacts are clean & wiring looks fine.
    Anyone had this problem? Is there a fuse I can check or a breaker. The right rear signal also still functions , but it blinks at twice nornal rate which normally means a bulb is gone.
    Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • stevieb2stevieb2 Member Posts: 13
    Last week I had my transmission flushed at the local dealership and now I notice the shift knob won't lock in position when in drive. I'm wondering if the tranny work had anything to do with this. I know this has to be repaired because the shifter can be moved to neutral or reverse when cruising down the highway.

Any opinions out there?
    pinetted,

I just realized that I never let you know how much fixing the seat heater cost. It was $444 for the part and $111 for the labor for a wonderful total of $555. I think they broke my cup holder deal when they replaced the seat cover but I can't prove it. It worked fine until they had it to fix the seat heater now when you push on it it only comes part way out and then it hangs up and you have to pull it the rest of the way out by hand. I had to have the pan gasket replaced again because the thing was putting oil on the driveway again.

This has been the worst car I have ever owned.

kdawg79
    Kdawg79, thanks for the reply, $555 ouch! I guess my wife will have to have a cold seat since she is the one who drives it most of the time. Your car is under warrenty so just have them replace the cup holder. I had mine replaced twice, the last time they installed one that did not pop up you just pulled it up, and it is a lot stronger. I would have to say this car has soured me to GM vehicles. Once we replace this car with what my wife wants, I can start looking for a used Bullit Mustang.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Happy holidays to all first off.
    Well I am now at the 28K mark and another weird repair has surfaced, took the car down for 3 days.
    My Service Engine Soon light came on although the car showed no signifigant challenge, the entire wire harnessing had to be replaced as the module became wet at the rear O2 sensor and the water also found its way to the ECM as well...evidently this was caused by that darn A/C evaporator hose draining in the wrong area.
    NEW O2 sensor, ECM and wire harness later back on the road.

Very odd, thank God I have the extd warranty ready to go.
  • gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    Just read in the Chicago Tribune that area buyers can get a $4,000 rebate on '02 Regal inventory. Couple the rebate with a dealer invoice price makes for a great deal on a good car. I have read with interest the good and bad comments from you Regal owners. To you guys who say the Regal is the worst car you have ever owned, you must have some lofty standards for comparison or you just ran into bad luck. Let me tell you my '99 Santa Fe Red GS just turned 38M miles. I too have have had a couple of problems like the oil pan gasket and the climate control display, but you gotta expect a few problems. Even now after three years I can honestly say I still feel like my car is brand new when I get in it. Tight as a drum and runs like a sneaky cheetah. I have owned a bunch of cars in my 36 years of driving and I say to you all my Regal is the best car I have owned to date (except maybe for my '66 289V8 Mustang, but then again I was only 16). I think it is the best combination of sport and luxury for a good price. My dad has owned and I have driven his Caddy Northstars, Riveras and most recently an Olds Aurora, but I say you can pay a lot more but you ain't gettin' nothin' better.