Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    While the Regal GS is a steal for the money. I had the opportunity to have some fun at GMs Auto Show In Motion, where you can really run GM and some other cars thru some rigorous paces. In the sedan area the GS (I will abuse theirs, not mine) handled horrible as compared to the Deville DTS and the Seville STS. Even the Bonneville SSEi could not keep the pace. IMHO the STS outhandled the Saab 9.3 wagon, BMW 3 series, Lexus flagship sedan through the course they had set up.
  • y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    The handling on the GS is not that bad. Atleast on my '01 it isn't. Get rid of those junkyear tires and it does improve alot. Yes, there still is a little body roll, but how often do you take a car through a course like that though?? You just have to know where the cars limit is at before the [non-permissible content removed] end swings out on you or it keeps going in a straight line. Look at it this way.. Compare the cars of today and the cars of say 30 years ago. The cars today are way lighter, 3500 lbs. in the Regal I think, compared to the barges we all used to drive around in highschool. Plus the suspension systems are better. Some better than others. My reason for getting the Regal GS was for the low end torque and the top end of the engine in the GS, the mileage on the highway and the way it rides. It is like a LAZY-BOY on wheels. For a 29 year old guy like me, it does just fine.
    Agree....you are a younger GS driver than I am.
    Regal GS is a steal.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Just got home from a day driving a new Lexus ES300 loaner, which sells for about $15K more [real world cost, not MSRP] than my LS Abboud. Well, it's just a HAIR better - a little softer on the small bumps, a little less engine noise. MUCH "deader" steering; touchier, less progressive brakes; an annoying dead spot as you press the gas. A little more posh on the inside. A dead heat vs my Monsoon stereo [although the 6 CD in-dash changer is nice]. Ditto the sunroof, leather, etc. NO retained ACC power. Similar acceleration. That's IT. Well, there are those durability and resale issues, but I feel a lot better about my ride now.
  • gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    Hey Verd,
    At least one BIG thing your Abboud is missing is the Supercharged engine. Also, does the Abboud come with the Grand Touring suspension? These two options make the Regal GS what it is. I think if you could have compared that Lexus ES300 you had for a day to a GS your comparison might be a dead heat or maybe when you factor in the extra $, the GS might come out on top.
    My local dealer has a white '02 Abbound on his lot. SHARP!! Wonder if I could talk my wife into owning two Regals? She drives a '97 Merc Sable LS that I bought in one of my weaker moments.
    Although I'd LOVE the punch of the extra 40 GS horses, the LS easily keeps pace with the 300 Lexus. And, yes, the '02 Abboud DOES have the Gran Touring package - which includes bigger front brakes, and a VERY good thing, too. Note that '03 Regals, Abbouds included have been "decontented"; the '02 came standard with EVERYTHING except the power passenger seat and the front seat heaters [which I added]. Mine stickered at $29K and I drove it home for about $22K [+tax]. You should be able to do at least as well on that white one. Good luck.
  • gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know for sure when the Regal is due for redesign? Current design has been around since, I believe, '97 or '98. Except for subtle changes like grille color, you can hardly tell one year from another.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Best guess from what is being reported...2005...
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Just read Pacinpelo's note regarding "Service Engine Soon" light. Same thing just happened on my '99 LSE at 29K+. It went off by itself, but now I'm wondering if there's anything to the evaporator hose theory. Have read other accounts on this bbs about water dripping into passenger compartment because of improper routing of the hose. Any idea how one goes about finding/accessing the hose and rerouting it?
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I read the new redesign will go into production in July 2003 and will be available in November of that year as a 2005 (not 2004) model year.

On a related note, the new Gran Prix looks tasty and fresh. But knowing Pontiac, I doubt the craftmanship/quality will improve (especially within the first year of a new model).
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    The earliest they can sell a car as a 2005 model is January of 2004. I don't believe they can sell a car in 2003 as a 2005 model.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Remember when the "1999" Chrsyler 300M was introduced? I'm fairly sure the car came to market in November 1997 as a 1999 model year. Also, during the 80s and 90s both Corvette and Seville models were introduced at least 20 months prior to their designated model year (I think Corvette introduced the '84 model year in late 1982 {there was no 1983 model year} and Seville pulled a similar stunt in the early 90s when it introduced the current model; which is do for a make-over in 2005).

While on the subject, I think the 1957 Eldorado (typically coming to market in summer 1956) was introduced in 1955 but for reasons that are not common today (I think it had to do with a goverment requirement, but I'm not sure why).
  • cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    Want to buy Buick Regal for my wife. Since my wife is not tall person I just wondering what is the visibility from the driver sit of the car for not very tall person. I test drove one, but I am very tall and for me there is no problem with visibility in any car. I also interested is how easy to park this car for not tall people.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I just got back from an oil change at the dealer. The service guy said he too had a '98 GS and just installed a performance pulley, 160° thermostat, outlaw chip, and K & N filter. I asked if the pulley was a Thrasher, and he said NO. Said the Thrasher puts too much strain on the engine, and his pulley was mid-way between the stock and Thrasher pullies. Said it'd sold by a company in Michigan. I'll find out next week and let everyone know. Said he's pretty sure his engine is now making ~270-275 hp with over 300 ft-lbs of torque. Said he can burn rubber at 30 mph by stomping on the pedal. Said he recently beat a Z-28 at a traffic light.
  • rickinririckinri Member Posts: 13
    seems kinda basic... i'm not asking about pullies or compression, but what do you use to clean the interior? I have a '01 LS w/ gray leather interior. I won't use armorall because even the low gloss formula makes it too greasy/shiny for me. I actually tried "saddle soap" yesterday, and so far i'm happy with it. Is there anything else you guys use?

Thanks,
    Rick
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    My mother is 5' 1.5" and she has no trouble driving her 1998 Regal GS. So unless your wife is a lot shorter than that she should be okay. However with all the problems I have had with my 1998 Regal GS, I could not recommend buying a Regal.
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    pinetted,

The cup holder is classified as an interior trim item and not covered under the extended warranty. The cost of the part is $221. So the cup holders will have to remain semifunctional for another 19,000 miles. When it rolls 100,000 and the extended warranty expires it is good-bye to the piece of junk and hello something else. Probably go Japanese for the first time to try to find some reliability. Performance for me is fast becoming not having to go to the dealer every two weeks for repairs.

Kdawg
    Just go over to www.regalgs.org
    and anything you need to know about the Regal is there...
    Actually, the 1984 Corvette started production on January 3, 1983 according to the 50th anniversary book. I didn't exhaustively track down the 300M info, but Car and Driver did a preview test of the 1999 300M (which was a pre-production car, not off the assembly line) in June 1998. With the lead time (and the fact the magazine probably hit the shelf in May) they probably tested in in February-April of 1998. But I doubt it was in 1997 (plus, production hadn't started yet).

Also, the Seville got a significant makeover between the 1992 makeover and 2005. For 1998 the car was completely redone (and moved onto a far superior platform: the Aurora platform). It just has a very similar look to the 1992 redesign. So 1998 through 2004 isn't so bad for one model (especially with an engine redesign for 2000).
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Kdawg79, thats cazy, $221! GM certainly has some work to do in the quality and fit and finish dept.
    There is TSB on the Evaporator Hose where its states to add an extension to keep the water out of the passenger compartment. On this service call , they used a 3/8" hose extension. It appears from the tech that the evaporator hose was leaking on the rear O2 sensor.
    Should be easy to add extension.
  • lyndamarielyndamarie Member Posts: 12
    My husband bought me a 99 LS in 2000. When he first suggested it, I said "a Buick, that's for my grandpa!" I love my little machine! Was previously a Accord woman, but the Regal has lots of get up and go for a very cheap price. I do miss the sunroof, but other than that I like the Regal much better. I'm 5'4" and have no visability problems. I can have the seat set so I can easily reach the pedals and not be too close to the steering wheel. The car is easy to get in and out of. Is small enough to park in tight parking spaces, but still has a generous trunk and I get around 20-22 mpg around town. I have two kids still in carseats, but I can fit in the back with them as long as the trip isn't too long. I also live north of Colorado Springs and travel in the mountains and still have plenty of power going up and over passes. We just got back from a Christmas trip to Minneapolis and drove about 80mph and still got about 28-30 mpg.

My Regal has also been extremely reliable. At 50K we've had not a single mechanical problem, just have had to replace the tires and do basic maintenance.

I'd buy another Regal if this one got crunched. One last thing for anyone to help. My leather seats are getting kind of dried out. There was a leather that someone posted, but of course, I can't find that post now. It started with an "L" ( I think)

To Host: It may be useful if a topic search could be introduced to help find things. Just an idea...
    Lyndamarie, I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner and really like them. They also worked great on my Dad's '97 Regal GS. It made the leather noticeably softer than it had been, and it felt much healthier. I also like that it is a separate cleaner and conditioner instead of one product that does both.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There are several search features on the left sidebar. The Search Box is probably the most useful for finding titles of discussions. The Make/Model search, well, that finds discussions by Make or Make and Model.

The advanced search can be used in a number of ways. I find it most useful to track down specific messages within a single discussion that contain a keyword.

Try them all out and you'll understand how to get the most out of them, I think.

:-)
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I use Wilson's leather conditioner. You can buy it at any Wilson's leather store. I think it's $5. I live in FL and condition my seats every 2 months so they don't dry out. They look really good at 60K miles.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Just needed to smell the carton of sour milk in the ice box, to see if it was still sour.

Just went to Edmunds.com to check the trade-in value on my 2002 Regal LS......$9,670.

Not bad for a car that stickered for $24,000 and wholesaled for 22k in April of 2002.

I know, I know...you take a bath a soon as you drive it off the lot, but this is terrible.

How does a car with 13k miles, that is in excellent condition, lose more than 55% of it's WHOLESALE value in less than one year.

I know that rebates & GM dollars must be figured in, but the rest is mystery to me.

When the dealer sold me the car, he asked if I wanted Gap insurance on the financing contract...I laughed at him & said "This car better hold it's value or it's not worth squat"

Needless to say I came back groveling for the $90 Gap insurance contract when I saw how far down I had to pull my pants as I grabbed my ankles on the trade-in value.

God forbid, if the car is totaled in a car wreck, it does not hold enough value to pay off the car loan.

That is the mark of a lousy car & a lousy manufacturer.

Needless to say, my next car will not be a GM.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "it's only money"

harsh hit.....but remember, all used car values are in the tank these days.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Sorry to hear you are soured on GM pricing. If you do a factory order and take advantage of all rebates and discounts you will not take a big hit. (IMO anyone who doesn't have $1750 worth of GM Card earnings isn't really trying.) With a factory order you can skip the options that goose up the MSRP but bring little on a sale or ins. claim.

The sedans I've had have been very reliable so I have no problem keeping them 10-12 yrs. thus depreciation really isn't an issue.
    Those numbers really hurt. Let's see, my '02 LS stickered at $29K, and with $2K of GM $$ [the max allowed at the time] and various discounts I paid a little over $22K. According to Kelley, my excellent ride, at 12K miles, would trade in at $11,050 and dealer retail at $19,370. OUCH!!! Now, if I'd bought a comparably equipped Toyota Avalon, I would now have a car worth $22,700 [trade] or $26,605 [dealer retail]. BUT - I would have PAID about $30K+ for it. So - where's the deal? It seems to me, you can pay upfront, or you can pay later, and, if you keep the car for 10 years, the Buick MAY [there's that old reliability question, again] cost you less. It's an individual call, but for me, that extra upfront money looks better in my pocket. Now, about 40 years ago, you could buy a Chevy Impala for about $3K+, and trade it in every year or two, and break even. However, as a car, that Chevy wasn't half the Regal I'm driving now. [That depreciation still hurts, though].
    I was able to buy the car for $100 over dealer invoice...used $500 of GM dollars, got a $750 Buick loyalty rebate & a $2,500 Regal rebate.
    Dealer also gave me a 5 year extended warranty at cost.

It is very disturbing to see an asset drop so much in value. I expected the car to lose value over time, but to have the car be thousand less that what is owed on it is scary.

Now I understand why the salesman was pushing the Gap insurance at the time of purchase...must be how he sleeps at night.
    I don't see how a Regal can sticker for $29K but I'll take your word for it. The 03 Impala LS stickers for about $4K less and gives you a lot of content IMO. You don't ever get your money out of options so I go for factory orders and thus avoid options I don't want.
    Is a car considered an Asset???

Unless it is bound to be or is a collectible.

MOST cars depreciate....unfortunatley the Regal and most GM mid size cars share that fate.....probably find that the more the cars are considered fleet type vehicles....the worse they are..Regal, Malibu, Impala...Seen a National or Avis Car Rental fleet lately???
    There are all types of cars in rental fleets now, from Aleros to Jaguars cause people want them. It's not the fleets that are hurting your resale IMO; it's paying too much to begin with whether you buy a Honda or a Mercedes: if you pay a lot there's going to be a lot of depreciation!! That's why a lot of savy folks buy 3-4 yr. old cars.
    I don't recall saying my Regal stickered for 29k...perhaps you have me confused with some one else. Just received in the mail today a note from GM that my GM dollars have been "enhanced" so the total is now $2,003. I can use them by 1/31/03 towards the purchase of a 2002 GM vehicle.

I would love to lower my payment and/or the term of the loan. The Buick Century is a car that is similar to the Regal LS, for thousands less. I leased a Century & owned one before that. I am curious to see what my dealer will give me for trade on this Regal IF I stay in the Buick family.
    It was MY '02 LS Abboud, with heated seats, that stickered at $28,810. You can get an '03, optioned with the same content, for the same MSRP. What I WANTED was an LS with cloth seats, GT springs and a Monsoon radio. BUT the loaded LS Abboud was actually CHEAPER than ordering a factory car that way, and it was already on the lot. Is that nuts, or what?
  • lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    My 01 LS trade in value is $10K. The dealer retail price is $14K. I paid $16K for it used a year ago so he must of got it for $12K. No wonder those guys move their dealerships out to the high priced realestate locals. I'll keep it till the wheels fall off and the extended warranty expires. I'll also read up on all the TSB's and pester the daylights out of them. We'll see who comes out on top eh?
    I went back to the dealer I bought the car from to get a trade-in value for it. I was looking to buy a Pontiac Montana Minivan. He said it would bring $13,000. Not bad, considering I owe $17,000 on the loan. Guess I am stuck with this for a while. Will look to trade it in this summer towards a Toyota Minivan...I have purchased my last American vehicle.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    My wife and I both drive Regals, but I like Japanese cars also. I am not sure if you are aware, but Toyota has had a bit of an oil gel (lawyers' word for sludge!) problem with the engine used in the Sienna van. It got so bad that they are now offering an eight year warrantee to cover the oil gel problem. They made a minor change to the PCV system in 2002 that is supposed to help, but time will tell. I am not saying don't buy one, but a four month/ four thousand mile oil and filter schedule may avoid a big hassle.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I've got a general question that doesn't just pertain to a Buick Regal...but then again it could if you give it a few years.

Let's say I want to buy an OLDER car (10+ years old) that is in otherwise decent shape but needs some work - not too large of a leap of logic. No matter what kind of reconditioning work I do, I'm still going to have a 10+ yr old car at the end of it all. My local insurance agent will look up the value of it and, after laughing his head off, tell me it's worth $500 or whatever.

If you're in that grey area of dealing with an older car that isn't a classic by any means...just an older car...what are your insuring options when it comes to replacement value? Does Lloyds of London handle anything like this? If baseball players can insure creaky backs for $50 million I would think I could insure a Buick for $6,000, for example.

Has anyone ever dealt with this, or do I have too much time on my hand with my work commute?? I do have an older car in mind but just having gone through body shop work on my primary car, a 98 GS, due to an idiot in a Wal-Mart parking lot at Christmas, wondering how I'd adequately insure the car itself makes me go hmmmmmm.

Thanks
    Here's my two cents: to an insurer, a 10 yr.old Buick is fully depreciated and can be replaced with another 10 yr. old Buick for not much $$. No doubt their replacement value is different from yours. So, it's really not worth insuring from the insurers viewpoint although they will probably indulge you and not charge much for comprehensive coverage. Forget collision coverage. If someone damages it you collect from their insurer; if they drive off without identifying themselves you are covered under your UI coverage subject to deductible. Parking lots are most hazardous when driving a new car!
    Thanks for your post. I read on the Camry message board that others were having problems with the "engine sludge" and apparently Toyota was denying there was a problem on certain cars.

I wonder how often the oil was being changed in those cars ?

I change the oil & filter every 3,000 miles, in any car that I drive.

I am also considering the Honda Odyssey van. My time frame for purchase is June/July. The local Honda dealers pretty much sell those vans for sticker price & have them sold before they are delivered to the dealer.

Either choice will hold resale value better than a GM product.
    When I roll down the street in my GM car I never think about losing value, but sometimes I do think about the big bucks I saved by not buying a Honda or Toyota! And GM is more fun to drive than boring Honda or Toyota IMO. Don't know why you are posting in a GM thread.
    I agree with an earlier poster... if your paying $22 for a Regal LS, then you lost money at the signing.

I got my 2 1/2 yr old GS for $15,000 in like new condition. Today you could get a 2000 GS used for around $13,500. Anybody buying new is going to lose big money no matter what the car. Go with 2 or 3 yr old car with low miles then add ext. warranty for $1000 up to 100,000 miles and your set for many years of worry free driving.

I couldn't imagine paying $20K plus for an LS and then getting stuck with repair bills after the factory warranty runs out... ??? WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT ???
    I am thinking of switching over to AMSOIL Synthetics.

Can anybody tell me if this is not a good idea for the Regal GS...

Thank you!
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I have a Regal 2000 GSE SC and converted it over to Amsoil 10W30 at 4000 miles, first oil change. I have about 35,000 miles on it now. I have been doing an oil change at 12,000 miles with a filter at 6000 miles. I just reset the oil indicator light when I change the filter. This time I am going to go 10,000 miles with no filter change in between. The oil analysis has been good and the 10W30 does well in this older push rod design engine. Could not do 10-12,000 in my Camry,it just beats up the oil too badly. Been using Amsoil for 10 years in all cars so I have confidence that it works, you may not feel comfortable with longer drains.

The GM 3.8L V6 is a workhorse and treats the oiil pretty well. Still, pretty clear at 12,000 miles as well.
  • masonbradfordmasonbradford Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know wheather they are going to redesign the regal and drop the century or what?
    From what I've read, it's a redesign of the Regal for 2005, dropping the Century...
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Hey Folks,

My 98 GS has developed a weird problem that only seems to be present in cold weather. It doesn't seem to want to shift into overdrive when you first start the car, or if you're restarting it after everything has had time to get cooled off.

We had warm weather for about three days here and not a single moment of problems. When it is cold, it hesitates at first and when it finally does shift into overdrive, it is kind of a sloppy shift. After the car has been running a bit it seems to be ok in cold weather.

I have had the car since mid '01, and didn't have any problems like this last winter, so this is all new to me. Any ideas???

Thanks
    My guess..Transmission fluid...First check the levels...Add if need be...Or, just take to dealer, if still under warrantee, and have them change the fluid...