Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    the different opinions about who makes lemons and who doesn't. We had/are currently having this same discussion on the Intrigue forum. Except we put away the knives and switch-blades after the first round :-)

Sounds to me that if a car is giving anyone as many problems as some here complain about, get rid of the "lemon" and buy the "high quality" machine that you want.

After my '98 Intrigue got totalled, I had only two cars on my list: the Olds Intrigue and Buick Regal GS. The major reason I didn't buy the Regal is because the left air vent blew on my knee. So I went back to Olds and got another Intrigue (w/3.5 L V6). From a performance standpoint (and people who buy Camry and Accords aren't performance oriented) the Regal was much fun to drive. When you get down to it, who makes the best performance mid-sized or full-sized cars? GM, Chrysler/Dodge, Ford, and Nissan (honorable mention Mazda). And none of them are usually mentioned in the high quality group. Nissan may be considered good, but not up there with Honda and Toyota.

My point? If you want a performance car, go with the domestics (+ Nissan). If you're worried about every squeak and rattle, dump your Regal and let someone else enjoy it :-)
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Performance has to include handling and steering feedback (two most disappointing aspects of my Intrigue to me) as well as finer control which means a manual transmission so Mazda and Nissan are where it is at in the midsize market.. If 0-60 and quarter mile times rule all then the GTP and GS are winners.

I don't know of any mainstream Ford or Chrysler sedans that can touch an Accord v6 in straight line performance. I guess the LSv8 could but that is up there in $$, while the 300M is better handling but much slower.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    For just a couple hundred dollars, GM Performance Parts has new sway bars, strut tower brace, and trailing arms that will really improve the handling of your car...Will work on your Olds as well as our Regals...There are a lot of low cost as well as higher cost ways to make the GS a completely different performing car...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Someone talked about Dexcool causing cooling system problems. Someone pointed out that the oil and coolant and other things should be checked regularly and if they don't look right, it's time to change them, rather than waitin for 150,000 miles as the Dexcool claims. I changed mine at 2 years.

I asked my dealer about changing again. He said that it's the air trapped in the radiator that causes the deterioration: if the neck where the pressure cap is built such that the radiatior can be completely filled easily then there's no problem with Dexcool; if the cap has a neck to it where the air tends to be trapped unless you work to get it out, then the hot coolant and the air cause deterioration of Dexcool. Don't forget to bleed the air at the thermostat housing with the bleeder screw.

IOW the air causes the breakdown of Dexcool. If you don't check yours regularly, don't complain at the car company when it doesn't work right...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    I am interested in purchasing a rear spoiler for my 2001 Regal LS. Has anyone ordered one over the Internet? I find many companies advertising through Yahoo and Google but am not sure which company to choose.

If you have any suggestions, it will be appreciated.
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I have a 98 LS with 60k miles. This problem started about a month ago. When I am gently accelerating up a grade, the rpm's are between 1400 to 1700 and the car is between 45 to 48 mph, the engine feels as if it is cutting out and the car starts to buck, as if just wants to stop. It only happens under these conditions. When it happens I accelerate a little (abouve 1700 rpm)and it stops.
       Can someone tell me what is happening.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Just throwing it out there... Since you have 60k miles, have you replaced your fuel filter? Also, since you have 60k you might want to get your drive belt replaced too if you haven't already.
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    You might also have your plugs and wires checked. A bad plug or wire could be the problem.
  • panther84panther84 Member Posts: 1
    I see someone posting about their car and call it and the similar one that their mother owned a lemon.

Where do you get that the whole line of cars is being condemned?

When the person said "these cars" what makes you think the person is refering to every regal ever built?

Chill out.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    Klee694 and others,
    Thanks for the guidance- some good analysis. I have a 1998 Volvo S-70 which is a well engineered car with frequent and expensive repairs, just like many European makes but the seats and controls and road feel are awesome. It needs premium (again like most European makes) fuel, but the extra $3 per week for premium is no big deal. But as my Volvo gets to 60-70K miles, there are big repairs coming up, like the timing chain and some others that should be $1,200. So I see some 1 or 2 year old Buick Regals for $12K or so, which is less than $2K more than I could sell the Volvo for. What do you all think of this idea?
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    When I say these cars have been lemons, I mean my car and my Mom's car have been lemons. I wasn't making reference to anyone elses ownership experience. When I say my car and my Mom's have been lemons, the facts bear that out and you can't argue with it. I guess you didn't read the rest of my post where I said I wish the Bucik had been a great car because I prefer the size and power of GM cars.

By the way, I checked my fluids on a regular basis and so did the dealership where it spent most of it's time. I never had a tranny problem I was just warning people who have a tendency to not check that stuff except for the occassional level check that they might be better off changing it earlier. The coolant issue was a bigger deal because I checked the levels and so did the dealership but until it jelled up and the upper radiator hose collapsed neither of us knew anything was wrong. It didn't take it long to go from fine to a mess.

Well, it is all water under the bridge now anyway because I traded the thing for a 2003 Accord EX V6 with Leather and so far I am very happy. It is just about as quick as the Regal, much quieter and it handles better. It does have a smaller trunk though. I'll keep you guys posted on how my relationship with it goes and I will be honest about it just like I have the Regal. I hope to have a better ownership experience this time around.

Kdawg
  • lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    Received this in the mail the other day. Talked with another 3800 owner. Neither one of us is experiencing any problems so we're considering holding off on the proceedure. What's your opinion?

Dear General Motors Customer:

This notice is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a voluntary customer satisfaction program that affects certain 2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix, Bonneville; Buick Regal, LeSabre and Park Avenue model vehicles equipped with 3800 Series II (L36) V6 engines.

We have learned that your vehicle may develop an engine coolant leak at the upper intake manifold to throttle body gasket, or at the lower intake to upper intake gasket. This condition may result in a low engine coolant level and higher engine temperatures.

To prevent this condition from occurring, your GM dealer will replace the engine throttle body fasteners with redesigned fasteners, and add cooling system sealant to the radiator tank. This service will be performed for you at no charge through July 31, 2005.

If you have already paid for some or all of the cost ... you should contact your dealer to seek reimbursement.... Your request for reimbursement ...must be received by your dealer by July 31, 2005.
    I would go ahead and get it done. No reason to wait for the problem to occur and then get it fixed.
  • tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Every auto make has its ups and downs, and every opinion will be different, but here is my personal experience. In 2001 I spent in excess of $4000.00 on old beater auto repairs. I use a certified NAPA shop, and in my opinion this guy is top notch. So I asked him what engine is the most reliable (in his opinion). He says GM 3800 non supercharged. It's been proven for years and says they run forever. So, to keep this under publication length I bought a 2002 regal LS with the gran touring suspension (wanted the 16" wheels), for my wife. Car is loaded, ALL options. We've had the car 15 months with no problems. Engine is strong, suspension tight, Monsoon stereo sounds great...no complaints. The only downfall I have with this car is the resale value, as you have noticed. If I tried selling it right now, I couldn't pay off the loan. So I take the depreciation buying new and you get a nice car for a lot less. Can't make the decision for you, but I can tell you and others that I am happy with our car and would buy another in a heartbeat. Btw, it's black with light grey leather, 16" chrome wheels, and looks sweet.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Yes, I have a 2000 GSE (no problem with the SC engine so far) and once the bugs were worked out prior to 15,000 miles it has been great. (oil pan leak, rotors, air bag)now 47,000 miles. This engine does not beat up the oil (based upon several oil analysis) I can easily go 12,000 between changes, synthetic) and I think will last 200,000 plus miles.

however, resale truly sucks. In the future I think a used one is much better of a deal then a new one, they just do not hold value but not many due, the used car market has a glut
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    Intermittent SES. What does it take to read the codes from the computer on this vehicle. It certainly isn't like the previous where you grounded pin 2 or shorted 1&2. Or the OBD II as I stopped by Autozone and the connector is different.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    Are there any known problems causing the rear pads to wear prematurely. In particular, both sides, the outer pad worn to nothing and the inner pad had maybe 75%. Yeah that sounds like a sticking caliper, but the slide bolts seemed to be free and well lubricated. Also this is different from prior years, in that the upper pin is stationary on the mount and the caliper after being swung up past the rotor will slide inward off of the pin. Prior years appear to have had a rubber bellowed boot, but this design has a metal cap with what appears to be a rubber vent valve. Could this be creating a low pressure vacuum lock, just enough to hold that pad to the surface of the disc so that it constantly rubs. I can see no other plausible explanation for the uneven wear.
    Help.
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    I have a 2002 Buick Century with 32,000 miles which is simular to the Buick Regal, I notice a slight pulsation/hesitation in the engine when going 70 plus mph, its almost the same feeling as if your compresser was kicking in every so often, I didnt have my air or heat controls on, would this be in my fuel filter that needs to be replaced? or would my fuel injectors need cleaning?

MasonMI
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I would first check the fuel filter. Odds are that is what it is. Is it the original fuel filter? I do not think the money spent on the fuel injectors being cleaned is worth it,IMO.
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Yes actually it is the original fuel filter, I haven't checked it as of yet, my dealership wants to charge me 119.00 for a fuel injector cleaning.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Would anyone consider the Regal GS a modern day musclecar? I was flattered to hear one of my fellow employees say how much he liked my '98 GS. He thinks it may someday be considered a classic hotrod. I don't think so, but it does have the quickness of some musclecars of the 60s. I told him I don't have the guts to pop the hood during Buick cruise nights at our local diner. I think I'd insult guys with older GS(s), Wildcats, and Grand Nationals. Any comments?
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    and also as "UCC's" [used car classics], sure. As a latter-day musclecar? Well, why not? They've got conservative good looks, and, they're much faster than they look, just like my '66 Plymouth Hemi was...although I don't know of anyone drag racing out at Islip with one...but, so what? Go for it, stax!
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    ...any car like this in mint, extremely low mileage condition will be of interest 20 years down the road, but it's never going to be a "classic", it's not like anyone is going to be restoring them or clamoring for them as some "icon" of their youth. If it's been your daily driver, forget it, it will never be anything more than an old used car.

Not only would I not have the guts to pop the hood at a cruise, I wouldn't have the audacity to even show up with a 1998 car.
    I think the GS will be remembered much as the 60's big cars are. Maybe not quite as the muscle car motors in cars like the 63 Ford Galaxie with the 427, the Chevy 409, etc., but still worth honorable mention. I still like those 80's Buicks with the potent 6.

BTW, I see on the Buick website that there is a 1SC package for the LS to get the SC motor. Don't remember seeing this when I purchased my LS last year. I wanted a sleeper LS with the SC.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    stumack1....
    Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll pop the hood anyway. If I get laughed at, so what.

lotech1....
    Does the 1SC package include an upgrade to a heavy duty tranny? The SC motor (with 40 extra horses) will eventually destroy the standard transmission that came with the LS.
    I saw a reference to that so I assume it does. It mentioned that Gran Touring suspension was part of it.
    With heavy modifications, the GS will run the the high 11's and low 12's in 1/4 mile...Just few like I have and you're around 14 flat to hign 13's...Just go to sites like ZZperformance, PFYC, INTENSE, and 3800Performance and you can see all the goodies that you can add to your car...GS one of the biggest sleepers out there...And when you pop your hood [first take off the silly cover and clean up the supercharger etc.], and you'll get a lot of "Looks Great"...Get it all the time at the track from the 'ricers'...

Your transmissions are the 4T65E for the LS and 4T65E-HD for the GS...

How fast and how quick you want to be is only limited by your imagination and wallet...
    I just found out I need to replace my front rotors due to warping (and the pads are low), I called Napa and found out their bargin rotors are $39.00,premium are$78.00. They also have high performance for $99.00 ea. The person told me they were the cross drilled type.
      Would there be any stopping advantage to getting these? I have a 98 ls w/gt suspension. I am pretty easy on my car and don't really "race" around too much.
      Why the big difference in price between bargin and premium. Are the bargin ones just some cheap cast pot metal that will warp before the pads wear out??
    Ask to see them both for your car. Lift them to see how their mass compares. If they're the
    same brand, there has to be a quality difference.

I put Raybestos higher-priced rotors on my LeSabre and never regretted it. I would rather do the job once and buy best, than do it again in two years because I saved $60 on two rotors...

I also used OEM raybestor pads. Great quiet stop rather than the long life pads I used to buy; hard pedal, noisy.

BUT I wish I'd bought the Raybestos dust free pads. My new car has them and it's nice not to have brake dust like my 98 LeSabre still has (but its brakes work great).

imidazol97, where did you get the raybestos rotors and pads?? I looked at the Raybestos web site and the only list repair shops that use their products, not parts stores.
    came from PepBoys auto parts. I bought the remanufactured calipers there too. The pads I bought were store brand made by Raybestos on different label box.

Have you considered General Motors Performance Parts [GMPP] and their 12" upgrade...#12498644...at GMpartsdirect.com or at your local dealer...
    The crappy Pontiac Bonneville I rented while on vacation. Those annoying red dash lights and the uncomfortable drivers seat really made me appreciate my Regal. Press the electric seat control and it turns into a clam shell. I really hate the windshield wiper stalk on right side of the steering column. Odometer is in the worst possible place. Buick is much better than anything with a Pontiac name plate.
  • tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone had the recall on the coolant system done yet, and if so, how involved was it ? Haven't been able to free up time to get it in yet, and you know how all of us feel about the dealer going under the hood.
    I have the recall done on my LeSabre. Took about 20 minutes of work time. They replaced bolts holding on the throttle body portion and dropped 5 ground-up coolant pellets about the size of a wine bottle cork into the radiation, which should have been put in at the factory to stop seeps...
    I was done with that part in 40 minutes of arrival.

has affected my '02 LS w/GT suspension.
    SOMETIMES, when, say, making a slow RIGHT turn, I hear a "groaning" sound from the front end, accompanied by the dashboard lights ["Trac control", "Check engine now", etc.] lighting up. The brakes and steering function normally. Stopping the car, shutting and restarting the engine restores everything to normal. The dealer connected a "readout" device to the connector under the dash on the driver's side. That showed several instances of false application of the traction control. It did not show a cause. The dealer drove the car but was unable to duplicate the problem. He swore there was no issue of safety, and to keep him informed. He suggested turning off the traction control [you have to do it each time you start the car] but that seems to have no effect. I drove it the next day and the bug did its thing twice. This has happened in both 90 degree and 60 degree weather. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a TSB about it? Any ideas about what's going on here? Thanks for ANY help.
    Re: your Traction Control light...Check your brake fluid...Check the ABS/Traction control fuse...And have them fix the problem...
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I'll bet the contents of YOUR wallet that your ABS module needs to be replaced. :)

I had a distant (but vaguely similar) circumstance where my ABS module had to be replaced due to various idiot lights coming on and off. Buick dealer said that such situations are usually caused by a faulty ABS module.
    What is it, where is it, and what does it do? I'll be delighted to demand its replacement, and thanks to the magic of warranty coverage, won't have to touch my wallet. Thanks for the info.
    The module that controls the Advanced Braking System [and the traction control, too?].
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Any recommendations for spark plugs for my '98
    GS? Is there something better than the GM ones.
    I have some kind of NGK in there now that were put
    in by the previous owner.

Thanks in advance for any help. Ed
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Since your car is made for platinum plugs, I'd try the ACDelco iridium plugs. They are like a performance platinum plug. :)
    The Iridium Plugs are the ACDelco ITRA4A-15...Gap at .060...

I've a 2002GS...But I've replaced them with ACDelco 41-932's which are one range colder because of some modifications ...
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Buy a good extended warranty and don't worry about it. I've had mine in the shop about 2/3 times per year so far. I'd say that is about average for a used car, and I'm putting 15k a year on it.

Things I've had to do on my 98 GS...

Supercharger Cone replaced 2 times
    Ignition Switch replaced
    2 window motors
    New fog light assembly
    New Battery, Tires and Brakes (as expected)

I have a bit of oil leak and the window lock switch has broken (going to take it in soon to have these fixed)

Buick needs to put some better quality into the interior and get away from the plastic.

The love of the cheap horsepower suckered me in. I'm not complaining. You get what you pay for.
    Two months ago I traded my problematic 98 Buick GS in on a 03 Honda Accord EX-V6 Leather. I couldn't be happier. I have over 5000 miles on the Honda and it has been flawless. It is so much nicer and better designed than the Buick it is unbelievable. The leather is better, the controls are better, the sound system is better. By this time in the Buick's mileage and age life cycle I had already had to have a bunch of stuff fixed. I still have 240 horses and I get quite a bit better mileage. The Accord isn't the low end drag racer that the Buick was but how often do you drag race your 4 door Buick. The mid-range and upper end power in the Accord is excellent. I may never buy another American car again.
    Well, I guess you can now go over to the honda board and bemoan with them when things happen...Enjoy your new car...And for some of us who do take our Buicks to the strip, I do enjoy blowing the doors off hondas...
  • junebug56junebug56 Member Posts: 35
    I have driven the '04 Regal and I would like to know how others have found its reliability and comfort. I am replacing a '98 Toyota Avalon, and what something that would travel well, trips from FL to OH--about 20 hours in the car. Any comments appreciated. How is the GM service. I am in N FL.
    Thanks!
    If you are looking also for excitement that the Toyota didn't give you, then get a GS...

There should be good buys on them as the Regal name goes away next year...And as they really haven't changed in the past couple years...The reliabilty of mine has been teriffic...Have had 3 Buicks so far, 2002GS now, but you can always get a bad one, just like the many Toyotas that go bad...Good long driver, do a lot of San Francisco to LA trips...

Just a thought...If you are looking at a 2004...Look around for a 2003 GS...Exact same car and you could really save...