Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    The owners manual never says a thing about changing the supercharger oil.There would only be two ways to get the old oil out.Suck it out with something or take the SC off and turn it upside down.I'm guessing the SC will last the life of the car if we maintain the proper oil level.Bearing failure would be the only thing that could ruin the SC.Does anyone know the SC's total oil capacity?
  • dennis80dennis80 Member Posts: 2
    I am having trouble posting also. 1999 Buick 16000 miles, having dash problems with the tach stopping and trip odometer cutting in while driving. After a day everything is back to nomal to repeat the problem days later. Suggestions?
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I received a response from both Monsoon and Buick regarding assistance in finding a compatible 6 or 12 disc CD magazine for the Monsoon system in the GS.

Basically, both referred me to my local dealer. Neither Monsoon or Buick Customer Service can answer me what magazine (if any) is "Monsoon" compatible. My local Al & Eds (a large car stereo dealer in southern California) rep says that only the Kenwood KDCC715 10 disc magazine will work with the system. yet I recall reading a post many months ago in this forum that Panasonic makes a compatible magazine.

Does anyone have a 'magazine' installed with their Monsoon system???
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    that this post will take (I'm as frustrated as you) and...

...that you all will welcome me, the host, into this forum since, as something of a Christmas present, we traded my wife's Neon in on a '98 GS with everything but the heated seats. I had negotiated a deal prior to her seeing the car and took her to see it yesterday. They offered my $4500 for her Neon and $14500 for the '98 with 30K on the odometer. It was a lease turn-in, black and dingless and with one scuff in the rear bumper. Chrome wheels, moonroof... everything but the seats but she was OK with that.

This is the first automatic I've owned, or rather, co-owned. My wife put a bicycle pedal through her knee as a kid and has a bad "clutch" leg. She's been complaining about driving a stick for a while since the pain gets worse every winter. Since the torque on this GS is so fat, I don't mind giving up the effeciencies of a manual. It has a few more months of the warranty left but I've already cleared a pulley and intake for installation. I'm wondering...

What synthetics are recommended for this car? I've already replaced the engine oil with Mobil1 but what about the ATF? Redline? I've used Redline in several cars with excellent results. I tried calling Thrasher for last few days but they must be on holiday. Surely, I'll stick with GM's supercharger oil. I'm thinkin' 270hp by summer... Any thoughts?

Later,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I am going to post in the Trans Am room to see if any T/A owners with a Monsoon have installed a magazine.

Hell, trying to post a message is like impossible in this new format...Hello Mr. Host.
  • rsurwilorsurwilo Member Posts: 10
    I've been driving my 2000 GS for a year. These are my most/least favorite things about this car. Full disclosure: All things considered I love this car.

Most:

1. Acceleration - nothing less than awesome. As we all know, the supercharged 3800 is one mongo torquer. What a blast to touch the gas!

2. Comfort - the seats couldn't fit me any better.

3. Solid - like all Buicks this car is built like a tank.

4. Reliablity - zero mechanical problems (except for #2 below).

Least:

1. Styling - the word bland comes immediately to mind. This is a well-engineered car but from an aesthetic perspective the Regal is not going to set too many hearts aflutter. When I first got my 92 Taurus (last new car before the Regal) some person in a parking lot would always be asking about the car. In the year I have owned the GS I have never had a single stranger come up to me and comment on the car or even ask a question about it. So while (thankfully) it is not as gruesomely butt-ugly as the new Impala, Buick should hire some Chrysler designers and put a pretty shell around that sweet mill of theirs.

2. I have had the #$%=@& infamous dash rattle since the day I got the car. Arrrgghh! Dealer tried (unsuccessfully) to fix it.

3. I have the gray leather interior. The gray carpeting is too light of a shade. Despite regular cleaning the carpets look perpetually dinghy and soiled.

4. The entire interior could be more refined. I also have a 2001 Passat (wife's car) and the difference between its interior and the Regal's is dramatic. The Passat is sophisticated the Regal is pedestrian. From the quality of the leather to the overall look and feel the Passat has it over the Regal in spades. Yet both cars sticker for about the same $$$. Take the Regal's (wobbly) console - borderline cheesy. And that ugly gap in the back of the console! What are these engineers thinking? And despite the mammoth dashboard the glove compartment is too small even hold the binder that contains the owner's manual! These kinds of knucklehead design aspects really bug me.

5. I find myself fiddling way too much with the Climatronic system just to get comfortable. I thought the point of it was set and forget.

6. I was expecting that the Monsoon sound system would sound better than it does. It's certainly adequate but somehow I was expecting to be more impressed.

What do you like most/least about your Regal?
    If it takes over (5) minutes to type in a post it wont take it anywhere.If you want good info on your SC3800,etc go to turbobuick.com and ask questions on the SC3800 message board.Alot of guys there drag race their SC3800 powered Regals and can give you lots of advice on most anything about hopping up a SC Regal.My wife says I'm not hopping up or racing our 98GS.My 86T-Type Regal is the car I light the tires up with.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    L8- Congratulations man! You will not be disappointed.

I like the looks of my GS very much. I have had many people come up to me and ask what it is and say they like the way it looks. I agree about the interior light gray color, it seems to show everything. My floor mats are trashed from all the salt and wet slush from the past few weeks. I have yet to have a rattle. I do have a few creaks when it's really cold, but even BMW's would have that -15.
    Just got back from SC3800 Tech on turbobuick.com and a guy there has 3.25" 3800SC pulleys for sale for $115.00.That will wake up your 98 GS!
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Thank you!
    Congratulations!

Concerning the aftermarket intake and SC pulley: Are you really sure you wife needs even more power from the car?
    Concerning the Regal styling:

The car really is "invisible". Does not attract even a slight attention. Can tell several stories demonstrating the point.

Though, I consider it as an advantage, not a deficiency. The same with my wife, and with our friends.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Yurakm, I think I'd take it back to the dealer and check out the odor with them. I used my car again yesteday and no peroblem with the seats at all.

Host! It's great to have you join the club! Now you really have a stake here:-) Which is good for all of us! I'd love to get the HP up a bit on my GS,let us know what your plans are. I am not the world's greatest machanic so I need something, EZ, fast and cheap. Also, I am a dreamer! Have fun!
    ...from everybody. We're very happy with the car so far. We've had enough snow here in Pittsburgh to utilize the traction control and it's not as intrusive as I expected.

It took a half-hour training session to teach her the ins and outs of the turn signal/wiper/cruise lever. That thing is really anti-intuitive. My parents had an '83 Monte Carlo with the exact same design in different plastics. I can't believe GM hasn't figured out a better way to do this in the last 20 years.

yurakm, only one of my vehicles (my one and only lease) has remained stock. My wife and I carpool (she works across the street) and trade vehicles back and forth quite a bit. If one of us is running out for milk or something of the sort, we usually take the car since the truck gets lousy mileage and is a pain in the neck to back in the garage. (It's a tight fit and fits best that way.) We really don't have a his and hers car; we time-share but officially, on paper, the truck's mine, the car's hers.

I want the power and she doesn't mind. She knew about this compulsive behavior when she married me. I run full synthetics and am religious about maintenance. With the exception of my daily driven 13 second Mustang 5.0, the mods have never seemed to affect driveability or reliability. My only concern is the auto. I knew my manuals could handle the power before; I'm not sure about this automatic. Maybe a cooler?

Later,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
    To anyone interested there are alot of SC3800 high performance parts at the grandprix store including pulleys and pullers,cold air kits,thermostats,exhaust,etc.The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP owners are alot more active than us Regal GS owners.Couldnt get on Thrashers web site.They had a Regal GS in the 13's at 103mph but the tranny wont handle much over 300 horses.A guy from St Louis by the name of Rick Tolan has a website somewhere devoted to a Regal GS that he has done alot of mods on.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I agree with you about the styling. It is a decent looking car, I have had a couple of people give my wife or me compliments on my black GSE, but with some styling changes it could draw a lot more attention. What do you think about the OSV Intrigue styling? It is shown on the Old's web site. I would hate to see Buick discontinue the Regals because of poor sales! The engine can't be beat, reliability is excellent, and the interior all in all is very good.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    Congrats on the GS.

You may already know this but the GS does have a "heavy duty"
    transaxle (as does the Grand Prix GTP).

Now, *how* "heavy duty" it is, I don't know, but as I understand,
    it is different than the transaxle that the LS has.

Enjoy....
    Go to www.tolan-hoechst.com/cars/ and click on "The GS".This car runs the quarter mile in 13.9 at 98.98 mph and will run 138 mph top end.It has 285 horses and 327.5 lbs of torque.I'll bet many a Mustang GT has seen its tail lights.
    Thanks for the Rick Tolan link, regallurv1! I think Rick has added to his site, "everything you ever wanted to know" about GS performance upgrades. It's amazing to me to see the time and effort put into the site. Then on top of it he finds the time to work, enjoy his family and provide TLC for his Regal. I love to see involved, challenged people at work!

AS for upgrading my GS, I doubt it. Though I am not yet at the average Buick owners age of 66, I am getting there and have slowed down just a bit;-) But who knows!
    It looks dead in here.jackjt,I'm glad you enjoyed the Tolan website.It is very interesting and I hope more of you will visit it.Rick has done some great things with his 98 GS.We have had two weeks of bitter cold and snowy weather here in Western Missouri and more is on the way tomorrow.I'm glad we drive dependable Buick Regals.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I thought you folks would like to read a new review on the Regal GS, it is currently featured at http://www.canadiandriver.com
    vcjumper, thanks for the GS article. It's always fun to see a new slant on the GS.
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    regalluvr1, just wanted to let you know that I topped off the sc oil and it took the same amount yours did - about 2 to 3 oz. I filled it to the threads, but wondered where you had seen what the fill level should be? Thanks for the tip.
    Vcjumper enjoyed the review from up north on the 2001 Regal GS and have bookmarked Canadian Driver.99gs,went out and got the owners manual from our 2000 LS as it was handier than our 98 GS.On page 6-20 it says"The oil level is correct when it just reaches the bottom of the threads of the inspection hole."
  • garypcgarypc Member Posts: 12
    I enjoyed the Canadian Driver article. Does anyone know where I can get Performance Stats on the Regal GS? I've heard 0-60 at 6.5, but have not seen any other statistics on the car. Had what looked like a BMW 318 pull up next to me. Took off to give it a run, but as it passed me, I noticed the M3 on the back. Oh well... only a second faster to 60 so I wasn't too disappointed!

Also, I heard the stories of dash rattles and dim climate control displays. While I've never heard any rattles in my '97, I just experience the dimming of the display! Went all the way out. Banging my fist on the side brought it back. Loose connection? Has anyone had this fixed, and know what is causing it?

Thanks! And hope everyone had a great Christmas!!
    I've been checking out the 3.5 and 3.4 inch pulleys. The Grand Prix Store has it for $75, but they also recommend a pulley puller for around $139. While even with the tool, it's inexpensive HP gains, has anyone replaced one yet and if so, do you need that special tool? They claimed a regular puller could damage the pulley.
    The Thrasher pulley is designed to be replaced once. They don't recommend "pulling" the pulley again to change sizes or return to stock. I'm not sure if I like this approach. The Magnuson nose drive replaces the assembly with a keyed pulley, allowing for future more radical upgrades or retrofitting the stock pulley. While more expensive, I like the option to change. Why? When I went with underdrives on my Mustang, I went too far... The car ran the battery dead at stop lights unless I held the idle at about 1500 or so rpm. Of course, with tweaked 302 revving up at the stoplight, every joker thought I wanted to race when I was just trying to keep the dang thing runnin'...
    Thanks for the info! Not sure if I'll jump into it yet. Sounds like you would change out the nose drive after your Mustang experience. I have not tinckered with cars since juicing up my '67 VW motor. Took me almost an hour just to change the battery in the Regal!!

Any thoughts on the climate control lights dimming problem?
  • rsurwilorsurwilo Member Posts: 10
    This seems to be a not uncommon Regal problem that has been discussed in the past. You can find references to it the archived Regal discussions. Unfortunately, the new (and ahem _improved_) software on this site no longer lets you do a "list all" for messages in a discussion. Consequently, users have to tediously scroll forward and backwards 20 messages at a time. With 600+ messages in each of the 2 Regal archives this won't be a whole lotta fun. But you will definitely see that other Regal owners have had this problem and have had it fixed by the dealer by replacing the display.

Note to Edmund's - PLEASE RESTORE THE LIST ALL MESSAGES FEATURE
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    Had to have mine replaced after the 36000 mile warranty ran out, although it's a 99ls. Cost me 50 bucks. The panel assembly is listed as an 875.00 item. Apparently as indicated in recent posts, this is not an uncommon problem and the dealers know it, and are willing to cut some slack. Good luck.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I found this site the other day www.car-stats.com/
    it list performance figures for all types of cars. 99GS the info in the Super Charger fill level is in your owners manual section 6-14 I believe.
    Not much going on here!

What does anyone know about removing the driver's side headlamp assembly in order to get more air to the supercharger! Does it work?

Have fun!
    In the past year several people over on turbobuick.com in the SC3800 Tech section report that removing the drivers side head lamp assembly for runs at the drag strip improved there times by 2 tenths or better.You need to go over there and see a current thread started by Regal-Luvr which is me.Its very interesting.Someone has a Grand Prix GTP running a 12.7 sec 1/4th mile.Thats cranking for a FWD!Happy New Year Everyone!
    Reluv1, enjoyed the turbo buick site and the 3800 info. Though I am not all that handy with the tools, I still enjoy a fast ride and reading about them! The GS amazes me with it's depth of power. Yesterday I had it out on a counrty 2 lane and had to pass a guy. Couldn't believe how quickly I got out and around him! Enough!

Happy New Year and I hope Edmonds get this new format right soon!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Sunday Night I had the opportunity to ride on a rental Buick Regal LS (N/A 3800) with leather trimmed interior and automatic climate control. Very nice car! very comfortable, nice supple ride, seemed to be well finished all around. The car, however, had an annoying loud popping noise upon acceleration and braking and it appeared to be coming from the front end, transmission area. Other than that no squeaks or rattles of any kind. The Temperature dropped here in Miami sunday night at about 42F and the heater seemed kind of weak (The heater on my Impala seems to heat much more rapidly and efficiently)but again this is a rental car so I don't think all Regals have popping noises or weak heaters.

I have seem some comments from Anti-GM and Anti-Buick folks that tend to label Regals as cars for "Old farts over 60 years old"...NO WAY!!! This car is as fresh and contemporary as any Japanese toaster sedan such as the Accord and Camry...I think the latter are the TRUE "Old fart" cars of the new generation...dull, boring, overpriced, overatted and underpowered.

Anyway, enjoy your Regals...you have one fine automobile!
    I believe Buick has done a poor job of trying to sell Regals to younger people.I'm 51 and my wife is 47 and we have driven Regals for years but we are the exception.We got our 2000 Regal LS three weeks ago and love it.It was a former rental car with 18,000 miles on it,loaded with leather, fancy wheels,etc.We got it for almost $10,000 under new list and nearly $3,000 under current Blue Book.I couldnt get the dealer down a penny on it as he was at rock bottom already.We took a 500 mile trip in it last Friday and it performed just great.It was a very cold(15 degrees) and windy day with a little light snow on alot of hilly and curvy roads in central Missouri.The NA3800 had plenty of power.Neither our 98 GS nor our 2000 LS have ever had the famous Regal dash rattle yet and both are very quiet.I get tired of the foreign car lovers knocking the Regal as being an older persons car and trying to tell me that its unreliable,etc.These people have never even owned one,driven one,or rode in one.Thanks for the kind words and wishing you safe motoring in your Impala.
  • thenimble1thenimble1 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 99 Regal LS with 43K miles. Have had terrible knocking and clunking when shifting. Dealer has said that the repair costs would be close to $3000.00. I may be out of line, but that seems like a lot of money for a major component that is less than 10K miles out of warranty. The service manager contacted Buick on my behalf and was told that no assistance would be granted. He suggested that I contact Buick myself. I've done that today and will hear back on Thursday. My questions to you:

1 - Anyone aware of any "known issues" with transmissions on the 99 Regals?

2 - What are my options regarding working with Buick to get some sort of warranty exception?

Any help and opinions would be appreciated.
  • jdinstljdinstl Member Posts: 10
    My dentures about fell out when I read that statement! At first, I thought, just let it go...just let it go. So I hitched up my Depends, grabbed my cane, and stumbled out of the room. But after chasing a couple of Geritol's back with a Metamucil cocktail, I got to thinking...you know, back in my day, kids had respect, and respected their parents choices....

Anyway, on a more serious note...at 36 years of age, I don't know that I qualify as "younger." But I do agree that Buick could do a better job of marketing the Regal GS to the younger set. (I have a 2000 LS -- see prior posting of mine -- and it's powerful enough for me. You folks with the superchargers must really have some fun!)

My take is though, I like comfy luxury cars, always have. Hey, I looked at Park Avenue and LeSabre...but Regal for me seems to strike the right balance between luxury and "youth." I won't say mine is sporty, it's a white job with a grey leather interior) but it has all the comforts, rides beautifully, and has a sunroof! I love this car, and hope to have it for many miles! So far, no rattles, pings, or complaints...other than I have to get out of the heated leather seats in this cold we've been having in Missouri!

jdinstl
  • zathruszathrus Member Posts: 11
    Having been a "lurked" for a couple weeks, I've noticed that this group is one of the best in Town Hall. You folks really seem to support each other. So this is where I will break my "virginity".

I just took delivery of a '99 AS with 21K. It is my first domestic car in 20 years (I've been happy with Japanese cars for a long time). I must admit that I'm a little concerned about repairs being that my wife and I keep cars for 8 years. I also remember the carp that GM produced years ago. And, my wife still abuses me with "you drive a Buick, you must be an old art" stuff; I'm 49.

Anyway, I'm still getting used to the "feel" of the car as compared to what I was used to (Accord, 626 Turbot, Civic).

1. Although there is good corning power, there seems to be little feedback through the steering wheel.

2. Boy, the car is smooth. Both the ride and all the controls. I guess that means I was "ready" to get this car.

3. I LOVE the power. It is faster than my 626 Turbo

4. I'm not used to the size of the car yet. It is wide. Also, there is so much SPACE.

5. The stereo system is AWESOME (and I don't have the Monsoon).

Overall, I really am starting to enjoy the car.

Later -
    Congrats on the new GS! Don't let anyone tell you you're an old fart for driving a Regal, I'm 23 and I don't consider myself an old fart at all. I just wanted a quick, comfortable, and nice looking car with a touch of class and the Regal delivered it all. I bet I really screw up GM's demographic studies when they survey age groups for Buick owners!
  • jdinstljdinstl Member Posts: 10
    The smooth ride is what sold me on Regal as well. Like I said in an earlier post, I like comfy cars. Regarding steering feel, I *think* I saw in some earlier posts about the dealer being able to adjust this situation for more road feeling.

As far as the repairs concern...well, my prior vehicle was a GM product, a '93 Pontiac Transport, with the 3800 engine...the only thing it ever went in the shop for 7 years and 134,000 miles was maintenance. The occassional tune-up, oil change, transmission fluid flush and change, etc. Sterling performance. (This after two Fords, one that was in the shop 30 times it's first year -- that's not a typo!)

A co-worker of mine has a Regal, so before I bought mine I asked him how he felt. He loves his, no major problems, just do the maintenance, and it's been a great car. I think this guy's testimonial is the best, because his Dad owns a dealership and he was at one time a parts manager!

Take care, and enjoy the new GS! (I drive an LS, so you'll see me in your rear-view mirror!)

jdinstl
    Zathrus,Congrats on the 99 GS Regal purchase.They are a great car and I'm sure you will be very pleased with it for years to come.We just love our 98 Regal GS and its been trouble free for all its 33,000 miles.The weather has been bad here for a long time and we havent drove it much lately.We have been putting the miles on our 2000 Regal LS and our old depedable 91 Limited which we need to get ready to sell.
    Thenimbleone,I sure am sorry to hear of the tranny problems on your 99 Regal LS.Yours is the first late model Regal I've heard of with a bad tranny.They are usually indestructable.Our 91 Regal Limited has 122,000 miles and the tranny has never been touched.I usually change the fluid and filter every 30,000-40,000 miles myself and the foot is on the brake everytime its put in gear or put to reverse.I guess in your case an extended warranty would look pretty good right now.I dont buy extended warranties myself as I got tired of paying for them and never using them plus I have the finances to stand some bad luck.I'd argue with Buick about it as much as I could.Did you talk to the District Zone Manager?If you do have to stand it $3,000 is too high.I would never have a GM dealer rebuild a tranny for me.They are too high priced and in our area pay poorly so dont have the best mechanics.All the good automatic tranny men in our area have their own shops and stay busy.I know a guy that could rebuild it for under $2,000.I would take it to several reputable places and get some bids.Good luck and let us know how things turn out.Did you buy the 99 LS new?
  • thenimble1thenimble1 Member Posts: 5
    regalluvr1, thanks for the response. We bought the car a year ago when it was only a year old.

We continue to argue with Buick corporate - getting absolutely no place. After making some more noise at the dealer we were indeed offered a meeting with the District Zone Manager. We're waiting to hear back regarding the scheduling of that. The problem that I've had with private cranny shops is that they've told me that the car is too new and the software is not yet available to them. The other problem is that I lose any remaining credibility with Buick.

To recap - the car is a '99 Regal AS and is less than 10k miles out of warranty. Am I out of line asking for assistance on this? If so, I'm willing to suck it up and admit it, but it just seems like such a major repair so soon into what I'd hoped would be a long Regal life.

Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    I can't stand it any more.

In two posts you've call your car a

"Regal AS"

I've got an LS, speed freaks have GS's.

What the heck is an "AS"
  • marv12marv12 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at new cars and have looked at the Nissan Maxima and Volkswagen Passat. I have settled on the Buick Regal GS and am about to buy one. My one problem is I am too tall to accomodate the sun roof. I have moved from the second option group listed below to the first one. The only differences that I can discern are the sun roof and the GSE Package. My questions are: what is the GSE package? am I losing out in any other way between the two packages? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Preferred Equipment Group: Front/Rear Carpet Savers, Dual Visor Vanity Mirrors, ETR AM/FM Stereo w/Cassette & CD Player, Cargo Convenience Net, Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control, Leather Seat Trim, Driver Information Center, Gran Touring Package, OnStar, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Rearview Mirror, Monsoon Speaker System, 6 Way Power Passenger Seat Adjuster, Driver Side-Impact Air Bag
    Code: 1SJ

Preferred Equipment Group: GSE Pkg, 6 Way Power Passenger Seat Adjuster, Auto Dimming Rearview & Exterior Mirrors, Monsoon Speaker System, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, GSE Appearance Pkg, Power Glass Sunroof, 16" Chrome Wheels
    Code: 1SR
  • zathruszathrus Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. Does anyone else notice the spelling errors that seem to creep into posting. I did do a spell check too.

One problem that I have is with my garage. Unfortunately, my fireplace takes some of the space that one would ordinarily use to open the car doors. I am afraid of chipping some paint off over time. Does anyone have any suggestions of a product that I would attach to masonry that could provide some protection to my doors? Door edge guards wouldn't work because of where one of the door hits (I also don't like the way they look.)

Zathrus
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I agree with you completely. I'm 26 and I'd be very happy with a Regal, although I do like the looks of the Intrigue better. Anyhow, I do find it funny some people will consider cars like the Regal and Intrigue "old folks" cars while they will scurry after boring cars like the Camry. The Camry is actually more conservative looking than the Regal. Heck, why doesn't Buick just slap some badges on the Camry and call it the new Skylark. Anb in performance, the GS will blow a Camry away.
    GSE is a loaded GS. Every option included, except heated seats and engine heater (both are available as separate options). The package MSRP is $500 less expensive comparing with the same options priced separately.

By the way, I have the heated seats with my 2000 GS and would recommend them. Great even for the mild New England winter.

The main difference of the GSE comparing with the 1SJ option package are the sunroof and chrome wheels. In other words, with the GSE you pay for sunroof and GM throws the chrome almost free.

A lot of people like the chrome wheels. Personally, I would rather pay to delete the option. But, with its narrow spokes, the Regal wheels are not tasteless as with most other cars.

On the flip side, less colors are available for GSE. White, Black, Bordeaux Red, and something else. Is it Jasper Green or Silver? Additional GS paints are dark-gray Graphite, and dark-blue Midnight (a very nice color).

As to the GSE appearance, the only difference I know about is it have three letters instead of two on the rear-right light: GSE, not GS. Probably, the owners know better.

By the way, did you test-drive a GS with a sunroof? I have impression, that it does not take a lot of space. Probably even less, than the dome light. Not sure, though: with my height this is not a problem.
    I can't believe how many neat new features have been added to the Regal over the past five years. I thought my GS was loaded, the newer ones have even more toys to play with. Some of them I really wish I had. Heated seats, onstar, traction control, supercharger, digital information center, etc. Five years really is a lot in the automotive world I guess. I wonder what the 2006 GS' will have that the current ones don't?