Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I need someone's opinion on this car for sale:

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id- - - =168209951&dealer_id=&car_year=1986&make=BUICK&di- - - stance=25&max_price=&model=GRNAT&end_year=1987&ad- - - vcd_on=n&min_price=&address=60133&search_type=used&am- p;am- p;am- p;advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=25

Is the asking price too good to be true? I thought Grand Nationals were worth $20K-$25K. The pictures sure look nice. I haven't called the owner YET. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to drop by our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask there also ... good luck!
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Mine also (newly acquied 2000 GS with 27,000 miles) had a temp reading of 65 when it was 90 outside. Actually dropped after driving a while, started at 85 and dropped as one drive along. Dealer installed new control unit (digital diplay piece) and said fixed, I looked, read 65 so they took it back in. Turned out to be a short in the wiring harness causing the reading to be low. Working fine now. Took 203 hours to locate and repair. Fortunately a certified car and fixed under the 3000 mile warranty
  • kmagkmag Member Posts: 98
    I have an opportunity to acquire a 99 Regal LS and this is a concern since I have a 30 mile one-way commute.

I saw a post a few pages back that reported 29MPG on a GS. Is this typical for the LS also or would it get a little better since it is not supercharged?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    supercharger, 3800 engine should get 30 on smooth highway driving. Stop and go probably down to 22. If you hotrod- go lower. But that engine is great when driven moderately.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Low 20's in traffic; mid twenties in short suburban hops; 30+ in steady highway work. Always plenty of power on tap, too. Mine uses less gas than my neighbor's Focus 4 cyl.! You're gonna love it!
  • ronabironabi Member Posts: 39
    The external temp reading in my '01 Regal has been a constant 50 degrees regardless of the weather ever since installation of a new battery. Is there a fix for this? A service rep at my dealer said there was no reset. Is it really true that the external temp is functional only until you need a new battery? I have tried disconnecting then reconnecting the battery cables, but no luck.
    I replaced the battery in my '98 Regal GS last April. Before replacing the battery, and ever since then, the external temp display has always shown the correct reading. There could be a seperate fuse (aside from the main fuse for the HVAC) for the external temp probe. I would suggest checking the main fuse compartment (black box) under the hood. I would also check the secondary fuse compartment located next to the passenger-side door. I hope this helps!
    I noticed that a guy at a recent car meet had drilled ten 3/8" holes on top of the air box in his '98 GTP. He claims he immediately noticed an improvement in pick-up. Has anyone else done this? I'm also thinking of doing it to my '98 Regal GS, but I'm wondering if it will really improve pick-up. The holes are located along the top front of the air box. We both installed a K & N filter, so maybe the added air flow through the filter demands more access of air for better performance.
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    Hi Jpstax, I have a 2002 Regal GS so I'd like to know, if you do that mod, what would happen. I remember a 'gearhead' recommending that I do that (and installing a K&N) to my 94 SHO about 10 years ago, and I did, except the holes were drilled on the bottom of the airbox, not the top. I don't remember any significant change in pickup, at least no that I would notice. I've heard that a K&N, even with drilled holes in the airbox, is not enough, that one would need a whole new air intake system to gain any significant horsepower. would like to hear others' opinions.
  • ronabironabi Member Posts: 39
    I looked up the fuse info in the owners manual, but found nothing to indicate a separate fused for the external temp. So, the problem remains. Anyway, thanks for the idea. It was a good one!
    Sorry my idea didn't help. My only other suggestion would be to replace the external temp probe. I'm not sure where it's located (maybe under the hood, or possibly under the trunk). See if you can find a copy of the 2001 Chilton's Auto manual at your public library. It should show the location of the probe, and be you'll able to install a new one yourself (instead of the dealer).
    Hello back jbm. If your car is still under warranty, I'd wait until it's expired before doing the mod. Certain dealerships are very touchy about engine mods. They might say the added air flow from the holes might somehow cause engine damage, especially a motor with a S/C. My dealer is dead set against using a smaller pulley to gain hp. If I decide to drill holes, I'll let you know.
    The temp probe on my LeSabres has been on the vertical piece of metal that goes up to the hood latch area in front of the air conditioning condenser.

I haven't read the troubleshooting method in my LeSabre service manuals but... I'd locate the sensor (it's about the size of a little finger from the joint to the end, and pull the wire from it. Them turn on the air conditioning. See what the reading is for external without the connection. It's possible you might even put a resistor across the wire's end to simulate a reding. Someone else may know if that would work...
    If pulling the wire has no effect, either the sensor's bad or the wiring to it is broken in some way. If you are able to cross it with a paper clip and get a different reading, then you know the wiring to the sensor is good and the sensor is probably the culprit.

When I get time, I'll read up on this in my service manual.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my husband's query about the problem with my car. However, I have two further questions. At the time of the problem, as stated in the original post "...the outside temperature display (showed) that it was 35 degrees, instead of the actual 65 ...". This could not have been (as stated in your reply) "the temperature just before the engine was switched off, if the car is parked for less than 3 hours". The stated problem occured on Aug 24, 2004. The local temperature has not been 35 degrees for many months! So why the 35 degree reading, and why was heat pouring out when the climate control was set to 60 degrees? Thanks.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    If you want better performance...You should install an aftermarket Cold Air Box [CAI]...Check all the retailers, 3800performance, ZZperformance, PFYC...Or build one of your own...Or for less money, just gut the inside of the existing airbox...Cut 'everything inside' out, just leaving the K&N filter...Note the 97.5 & 98's have a different airbox than the 99+ because of the overflow tank placement...99+ far better design...Much more air flow...

Drilling air holes only lets in Hot air from engine which is bad...
    I decided take your advice and gut the air box, leaving only the K&N filter. I first removed the short pleated hose from the air box sleeve. It's the one that connects the throttle body to the air box. I then removed the K&N filter, but lo and behold, I found a 2" high square metal-jacketed instrument inside the air box, which was attached to the bottom. It appears to be some kind of electrical device, because it has several wires running down to a harness below. Do you know what it's used for? Are you saying it can be removed? Or is it some sort of sensor that shouldn't be removed? I do know it's not the MAF sensor. The MAF is attached to the short pleated hose.
    That's the PCM...The computer that runs everything in the car...If you want to go faaster and quicker...There are companies that will sell you a reprogrammed PCM the changes shift points...Adds fuel pressure...and takes off the 108 mph fuel shutoff...

PS...The MAF is on the Throttle Body...The IAT sensor is on the F-duct...
    Thanks. Why the hell would Buick engineers install the PCM inside the air box, where it's clearly an air flow obstruction? Or does the air box afford it some protection? I certainly don't want to remove and relocate it somewhere else in the engine compartment.
    Several aftermarket CAI's [Cold Air Induction Systems] have the PCM located in the airbox... http://easyperformance.com/CAI/CAI_Filter.htm Doesn't really effect airflow...

Also cooler in there than in engine compartment...
    The photo appears to show the cone filter resting on the PCM. Am I right? It also shows some kind of a metal/foam shielding that the air duct passes through. Is this to help prevent hot air from the engine from being sucked in? I assume the air box can then be thrown away? Thanks.
    Save your Air Box...You may need to put it back on when going for a smog check...[Visual inspection]...

Filters do sit with the PCM, in this instance, in the AirBox...

There are 2 CAI's, Thrasher and MSP that house the PCM in a tray below the Air Box...

The Wizair CAI, the one shown above, seems to be the best one, albeit the most expensive...
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    My water pump is leaking in my '98 Regal GS(i think). Getting a small puddle of anti-freeze on the ground after parking the car.

I'd like to change it myself if I can.... anyone here attempted this and if so how difficult was it. A summary of the steps would be much appreciated!
     Ed
    It's a 3800 and I assume it's supercharged since it's a GS/???

If you can see the bolts around the water pump (about 5), you can change them. IF everything is packed in there so tight, you may want to pay someone else to scrape their knuckles.

That engine compartment is a little tighter than my LeSabre, but I had done it on a LeSabre. IF you have a good set of small sockets with various length extensions for the socket, you should be able to do it easily. Remember careful cleaning of the old gasket areas means no leaks with the new gasket!!!

• bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Anybody ever had an issue with the low coolant light? It seems everytime I drive a long distance like over an hour, the low coolant will come on for a while, then go out then come on again. The temp gauge never moved past halfway so I was not in danger of blowing the engine. When I got home I checked the level and it was low. This happened to me twice in two days of long drives with small stops in between. There is no evidence of anything leaking, and I just had the car into a reapir shop for some maintenance. The shop just replaced both serpentine belts. The coolant was replaced last year along with the thermostat. The shop said the hoses were fine. Any ideas? It looks like a trip back to the repair shop is in order. I just want to know where the coolant is going? I don't want to hydrolock the engine on startup.
    Does your radiator have a separate cap from the coolant recovery tank? If so, check the level in the radiator. It could be you're not pulling coolant back into the radiator.

Take the cap off carefully after cooling the tank.

• tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Is this is on your '99 Buick Regal? Just curious, how many miles do you have on it? One remote possibility, but one that has happened to me in a Mercury and a Chevy, is that coolant might be leaking into the cylinder head due to a blown head gasket. In each case they were able to detect the source after performing a pressure test on the cooling system.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Ask for pressure test. Much better than guessing, and is inexpensive. It used to cost $20 several years ago. Probably costs about $30 now.
  • steprovsteprov Member Posts: 9
    I'm ready to do a radiator flush & coolant change on my '00 GSE, but I can't find the petcock. Anyone have any tips, hints, advice ect?
    I've had the car for 8 months/5000 miles now and I still love it - no problems...
    Yes, this is on my 99 Regal GSE. I currently have 94K miles on the car. I admit that I have not taken the radiator cap off to look at the level of the coolant. I really hope it is not my head gasket, but I am thinking it is. Just what I need. Thanks for the advice, and I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
    I started with the 'best' problem. Rarely a radiator cap fails to seal to let coolant return to the radiator when it cools. So the radiator level is low. It could be some fault in the indicator light and sensor.

More likely it's the major gasket problem.

I went to my local mechanic and had him check the cooling system out. They could find no leaks at all. i told them I thought it maybe the head gasket, but was told to blow the head gasket, i would have to really overheat the engine, like somewhere above 350 degrees. Anyway I was told to keep an eye on it, and if I have to add coolant every week or so, then was told to bring it back in. The explanation the shop gave me about the low coolant, makes sense to me. Here it is: they said the water in the mixture will evaporate, thereby lowering the coolant level in the bottle a little. It is not uncommon to add a little coolant to the bottle every once in a while. They did tell me that my valve covers are leaking some oil, oh well that i am not going to worry about. Just thought i would let everyone know what the outcome was.
    Sorry, many head gaskets that leak coolant have nothing to do with overheating. The mechanic was handing you a line
    I decided to take over my moms Regal after she passed away this year, and efforts to sell it by my brother and sister didn't pan out. Its an 1999 LS model, dark red with tan interior, 62,000 miles. Its a real improvement from the previous Buicks my parents had - an 86 Park Ave. and 95 Century. I did not like those cars at all, from how they drove to how they looked. With this one, the styling is more attractive to me than those old boxy models, the steering, ride and handling are better in every way, and the dash and seats are a huge improvement.

I dont have an owners manual although my brother thinks he has it somewhere and is looking. Maybe someone can answer a few questions.

It has keyless remote but there is only one. Can I get another remote at the dealer, how much does that cost?

Whats with the reverse gear warning beeper, can that be defeated?

Sometimes the headlights stay on after the car is locked, sometimes they dont. My wife has been driving it and says that turning on the lights by pulling out the knob makes no difference, the taillights are always on. Does this car have automatic sensing lights?

It has a cassette player, which might as well be an 8-track for the use it would get. Has anyone replaced the stereo? Got any links to instructions remove the dash, without a charge for the info? Did you go aftermarket, or with another Delco unit? Ive seen the CD/cassette units on sale on Ebay and a few other sites, and wonder about putting 150 or so towards a used unit, and then deal with getting the code to unlock it, when I could get a new Pioneer with MP3 support installed for under $200...
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I believe you can buy a remote at the dealer, but I don't know the cost. I had a 2001 LS, and currently have a 1998 LS, and neither one had the beeper for reverse. I am not sure if that is a GM option, or an aftermarket add on option. I have seen some replacement backup lights advertised that incorporate a beeper. You may try replacing your backup light bulbs, and see what happens.
         Your car has automatic sensing lights.
    My wife and I really like the Regal. If your Mom has not changed the transmission fluid and filter in the last 30,000 miles, I would get it changed. I would also change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes if it has not been done in the last two years. Good luck with a good car.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I've had to put coolant in my 99 Regal LS on one occasion since I bought it 6 months ago(about a quart in June.)Currently has 60,000 miles.If cap on recovery tank is not on tight...is it possible for water in coolant to evaporate as in post #2756? Or, a problem with head gasket?
        Also, power window on front passenger side keeps getting stuck. Any quick fixes for it? Thanks.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I saw a website referenced on Edmunds in one of the groups I read that offers keyless remotes. Some of those do not have to be programmed by the dealer. E.g., my 98 LeSabre. You might check into it. In some cases they would give you the name of a local shop or key shop that would do the programming for you for a set price -- if I'm remembering the website correctly.

If it has the Driver Information Center in the gauges, it might be a programmable feature to beep on backup???

The owners manual may tell how to go through the programming of the DIC choices - it does on our 03 Buick.An owners manual (and service manual, if you're really into it) is available at Helminc. They print manuals for many of the manufacturers. You can order online or by their 800 number. I've bought manuals from them for decades. They're the ones in the back of the owners manual where the service manual is offered.

helminc.com
    http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=GMC&Mak- e=BUI&Model=REGA&Year=1999&Category=&Keyword=&amp- ;Module=&mscsid=1E1UC8C9KQVX9HE1004KADJ5GHDS20Q7

• plr750plr750 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 regal ls 25th anniversary edition with the grand touring suspension. I am now at 103k miles; got it when it had 45k on it three years ago. I've had tension er replaced around 50k. The car is white earlier this year the driver side quarter panel started peeling; but that's fix now ($325 out of my pocket). Other than that it's been great. The only changes i made is that added 20 inch wheels. In the next couple of weeks I'll be changing the plugs/wires,cabin air filter,drive belt. Just change the tranny fluid a week ago. Would like to install new bulbs in fog lights but too much moisture inside housing.
    You can get an owner's manual and a remote keyless fob from e-Bay by searching on "Buick Regal".

The owner's manual is pretty important on this car. My wife and I quickly learned that when we couldn't always count on the "AUTO" setting on the climate control to do a good job in defrosting the windows in this climate (Minnesota), so the instructions on how to operate the system manually came in quite handy. There are also procedures on how to change the various light bulbs on the car, and of course there are the capacities and specifications that come in handy if you do your own maintenance.

For the fob a dealer will want about $45 and an additional $30 to program it. On e-Bay you can get a fob for easily less than half that (around $10) and do the programming yourself. Programming instructions for the fob are as follows:

1. While sitting in the driver's seat and with all doors closed and the ignition key removed from the ignition lock cylinder, press AND HOLD "unlock" on the driver's door lock switch.
    2. Insert and remove the ignition key twice (don't rotate in the lock cylinder; just slide it in and back out twice)...
    3. ... then insert the key a third time.
    4. Now release the door lock switch. You should hear 3 chimes indicating the fob is active.
    5. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob at the same time for 12 seconds. You should then hear 2 more chimes.
    6. Remove key from the ignition. Done.

The reverse beeper sounds like an aftermarket add-on. You can try removing the rear applique from the back of the trunk lid (there are 8 wing nuts) and see if you can find and disconnect the device. (Note: while the rear applique can be undone, it can't be removed entirely because of the wiring harness attached to it, but there's enough slack in the harness to give you the access you need. The point is to warn you not to pull too hard on this large rear lens assembly after removing the 8 wing nuts).

Yes, Regals and numerous other GM vehicles have automatic headlights. Just after turning off the engine at home I usually pull the light switch knob out to the parking light position and then push it back in again. That turns off the exterior lights immediately. There might be a way to program the headlights so they don't stay on for 5 minutes after shutting the engine off.

As far as switching out the radio goes, I'd recommend finding a Hayne's manual for this car. You can buy them at auto parts stores, if they aren't sold out, or you can find them cheaper on, you guessed it, e-Bay.

Just another note. For the past couple of years, as other members of this forum know, I have been a student of the controversial Dex-Cool coolant that comes standard with these cars, and highly recommend that it be flushed and refilled long before the 5-year/150,000 miles listed in the maintenance schedule of the owner's manual. Your Regal is a '99, so you might check to see if your mother kept her maintenance receipts and if any include a cooling system flush. Dex-Cool should be a nice bright orange color. If it is brownish and/or has any sludge in it, I highly recommend you get it flushed right away.

Hope this helps.
    I took the rear light panel off last night and sure enough there was a weird looking bulb in one of the backup lights. Replaced it with a standard bulb and no more beeps. The beeps sounded terrible anyway, like a cheap toy with a low battery.

I'll check Ebay for the remote, another place I found with a quick search charged $44 with instructions to progam and indicates dealer cost of $94, so getting one for $10 would be a worthwhile savings. I think I will not bother with changing the stereo to a used Delco, I'll just get a Pioneer or Sony or JVC.

My mom just bought this car last year at 57000 miles, so the service history is unknown. I'm going to have it serviced for tranny and coolant at some point within the next year. Hopefully my brother will send the manual soon, but I'll probably have to remind him....
    I'd rather do it before winter.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi All,

I am just starting to research Regal and Century. Until now, I have been looking at Impala. I have long legs, and prefer seats with deep seat pans. I like the Impala, but they just changed the Onstar installation to be on the windshield, which cuts vision.

What kind of seats are on the Regal? I prefer the flat, bench-type seats. I noticed that they have bucket seats, but are they large and deep?

Buick.com doesn't have them online anymore, so I can't find info from them.

Thanks!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Hi bh628. I have a Regal LS with leather seats. I would say they are large...not flat at all. Moderately deep with good support on the sides.I'm 6' feel they are very comfortable.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    We have had this car for two months now and I am liking it more. I've had small cars for many years so it's quite a change. I'm surprised and pleased to find that the steering is fairly quick and also pretty accurate. I drove my wife's grandmother's 02 Camry for a few hours this weekend and found it to have a more vague feel in steering and handling, and much less power - probably it had the 4 cylinder, though.

MPG is typically about 22 or 23, and I measured 27 on a recent 190 mile road trip of 95% highway at speeds 65 and under. I don't really think 30 is possible maybe if you set the cruise at 55 on a flat interstate for several hours.

I dont find the seats to be all that great. They are not uncomfortable but the upper back support is odd, pushing in slightly on my shoulder blades and lower support is marginal. However I dont drive this car every day so maybe its just not quite adjusted to my frame. Or maybe it is me, the seats in the 02 Camry were not all that great, and Ive spent a good amount of time in my inlaws 2000 Accord SE and those seats aren't very comfortable to me either - they are much too firm especially the bottom cushion.

Unfortunately this car is cursed with the same GM interior quality that has been legendary - squeaky panels and loose, poorly fitting parts. But at least the dash does not squeak while driving, unlike the last 3 GM cars we have had. I find it odd that it has leather or faux-leather inserts in the doors with cloth seats, and woodgrain on the small panels in the doors but black trim on the dash. The cruise control lacks de-accellerate, and there is no inside trunk release except on the remote and no remote gas cap release. But these are all pretty minor things, overall its a decent car and better than previous Buicks and other GM midsize cars I have experienced.
    on cruise control. Have you tried tapping the button on the end of the stalk? Each tap should be 1 mph.

As for squeaks I've had little in the way of problems in my last several cars.

There is a trunk release button, at least in 2000 Regals, but it is of very limited use. The button is located behind the glove box door: you may open the wide door and look for a yellow button on the frame, to the left(?) of the very narrow glove box proper.

I used it very seldom, probably 3-4 times in 4 year we own the car; remote is much more convenient.
    Regarding your gas mileage, we also have a '99 and on trips consistently get 30 mpg on interstates in overdrive (around 2000 rpm or so). During one trip on state roads in northern/central MN and southern Canada we got an amazing 34 mpg last summer. That was driving primarily around 55 as there were a lot of deer to watch for, and that's what the natives were driving. Ours has the 3800 Series II normally aspirated engine. Does yours have the supercharged motor? Even if it does, I think your mileage should still be in the same ballpark. Perhaps a bottle of Chevron's Techron fuel injector cleaner would help a little. I try to remember to use a bottle after each oil change (emphasis on "try").
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    On our '02 Abboud has just gotten better and better since new, when the dealer's 25 psi all around netted only about 26mpg on the road. A correct 32 psi and 35,000 miles later, we turned an astounding 36 mpg doing a steady 65 mph down the Jersey Turnpike [real flat going]. This in a 3500 lb, 200 HP car! Helps take the sting out of $2 gas. [PS - we've never clocked less than 22 mpg, in NYC traffic.]
    I have the 2000 3.8 L SC engine which has consistently delivered 30-32 mpg highway. I did reach 34 once but it takes a lot of non stop interstate driving to do that. The point seems to be 70 mph, going to 75 drops the mpg slightly. Great highway car. Ave 22-24 mpg around the city. Premiun fuel with the SC