Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    My off-the-line acceleration sucks. I read in an auto advice column that the problem is more than likely fuel-related (not ignition). The columnist suggested checking the throttle position sensor. He said to have a mechanic use a lab scope on the TPS and fuel pressure tester. He said to also have him test fuel volume. Finally he suggested getting the fuel injectors tested with a balance test, and the TPS and/or injectors replaced if necessary. Has anyone heard of the TPS? What does it do? Is the advice columnist right in his assumptions? I regularly use fuel injector cleaner.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    The Throttle Position Sensor tells you exactly that, what percent is the throttle open...Also...Have you changed your plugs recently...Have mechanic check your air/fuel mixture...And check the IDC [Injector Duty Cycle]tells the percent of fuel going thru the injectors...
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
      My 1999 LS is getting a little over 19mpg combined(city 30-40%, highway 60-70%)No long highway trips yet. Excellent acceleration and power when needed.Wish it had the inside gas cap release for fuel though.Agree with previous post...fit and finish not the greatest, squeaky air fan, but best car I've ever owned(1970 Chevy Nova, 1978 AMC Concorde,1979 Olds Cutlass Supreme and a 1994 Nissan Altima)For the most part I drive them until they are at deaths door.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kmagkmag Member Posts: 98
    The set button on the cruise does decel. I have driven any number of GM cars with this stalk and always thought that it just didnt have this feature.

I have the stereo that has the tone button to select manual/rock/pop/classic etc. sound presets. I found that you can set each of the 6 station buttons on each band, to save its own tone setting. Just change the tone and then hold the button in like you were setting the station.

There is no remote trunk release on my Regal in the glove box. But I have the remote now that my wife is driving her own car. I hate cars with a seperate door key, what a pain.
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    Hi gang, I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS. I saw some photos once of a guy who replaced his interior trim panels with some that were a high-gloss dark gray, it looked really cool. Does anyone know any reputable online dealers for trim kits such as the one I saw?

Thanks,

jbm
    Did anyone here install an aftermarket sunroof in their buick regal, and, if so, how much did you pay, which company manufactured the 'roof, and are you happy with the job? I am thinking of getting mine done (I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS).

Thank you,

jbm
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    2 weeks ago I purased a 99 Regal LS with about 39,000 miles. I'm very pleased with the car but have one problem. The digital display for the heater etc does not work and needs to be replaced. The GM dealer agreed to replace it in my contract. But when I called today they told me that they haven't been able to locate it and it will take a few weeks. Is this a common problem with the Regal? Does anyone know the replaceent cost (I suspect it is more than the salesman realized and now I'm getting the runaround from the service manager). Are there any electrical prolems i need to be aware of? I'm very pleased with car...i find smoother shifting and more power compared to my 04 Grand Prix with the same engine.

Rich
  • spencerdspencerd Member Posts: 1
    HI, all! I tried a 2002 Regal LS(40k miles) at a dealer's just today. Generally it is a nice car. But i found kinda 'coolant' smell just around the engine area. No leaking detected on the ground though. I am afraid that there might be some tiny leaking problems in the cooling system, which may potentially cause great damage to the engine...

Does anyone have experiences with that? Any comments are appreciated...

Here the dealer asks for $11800 all inclusive. I am in the Central Ohio area. do you think the price is somehow high?

-Thanks.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    You can search the thread.

As well as I remember, it happens and was discussed on this thread. Replacing the auto temperature control unit costs about $600. Display is not available separately. However, there was a post (or several posts) on how to repair the display - something with soldering a pair of resistors, or capacitors...
    It also was discussed on Edmunds. A leak sometimes develops in the intake manifold of GM 3800 engines (Regal GS, Impala, Gran Prix and several other cars). The manifold or part of it is plastic and warps. It is somehow connected with a sensor in the manifold as well as I remember.

The supercharged version of the engine uses steel parts and is not prone to the leak. If I remember it right, GM changed the design of the parts for not supercharged engines recently.

A pressure test will help with diagnostics, but personally I would not buy the suspected car. Repair costs $800 or so.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Yes, that is a common problem on the Regal. I own a 99GSE and had to have the display replaced, and it is dim again, but the warranty ran out. The system still works, but it is hard to see in the daytime. Personally I have had some niggling problems with the sunroof, and a new tranny installed, but other than that it is a great car. Smmoth ride, OK handling, great power, and a little luxury too. The car is hard to beat.
  • steprovsteprov Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone. I've had my '00 GSE for 10 months and 7K miles now with no real problems. I still love the car. There's one annoyance though. I like to play the Monsoon stereo at fairly high volume. This sometimes causes a vibration in the driver's door panel. I can stop it with my elbow but there must be a better way. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas how to correct it? Also, does anyone know how to drain the radiator coolant(see post# 2751). Thanks.
    I have a 2000 GS without Monsoon. 6-speaker Concert II. Vibration of door panels (both the passenger's and driver's) happens, even without very loud sound. Just a resonance. Does not matter for me.

Recently bought 2004 GS with Monsoon, but did not check it yet for the resonance.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    A couple of weeks ago I wrote here that I purchased a 1999 Regal LS where the digital heater display needed to be replaced. At the last minute the salesman made the car GM certified so I can get it replaced under this warranty (saves the dealer about $900 in parts and labor) as it will be paid for under warranty.

I really enjoy driving the car alot. Smooth and comfortable. The cruise control is the easiest to use of any that I've ever used (The cruise on my 2004 Grand Prix is awful). I can actually hold accelerate or decelerate without having to "tap" them to change speed. The seats are comfortable but I find that I sort of stick to the fabric and once I'm seated I can't shift positions. I look forward to many years of driving ahead in this car.
  • maltmanmaltman Member Posts: 1
    Thought I would give an honest report on my 2002 Regal GS. I bought the car new and just passed 100,000 miles after 31 months of driving. I put lots of miles on my car. My last car was a Merc Grand Marquis which I put 302,000 miles on before giving it away.

I have had only 1 problem with this car. The Antilock brake sensor wiring failed at about 30,000 miles. It was repaired under warranty.

I use Mobil 1 which I think dissipates more heat then conventional motor oil.

I changed the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter at 40,000 and 80,000 miles. I changed the spark plug wires and coils at 80,000. The antifreeze and transmission fluid and serpentine belt ( alternator belt not the supercharger belt)were changed at 90,000 miles. I replaced the battery at 60,000 miles.

I check and add supercharger oil as needed every 6 months.

The traction control is absolutely great. It does need a good set of snow tires ( Blizzaks)to get through heavy snow, though.

This is a very reliable car. I will let you know what I need to repair when I get to 150,000 miles.

If anyone has any estimate on the lifespan of the supercharger and the cost to replace I would appreciate it.

Glad you all like your Regals.
  • expoexpo Member Posts: 1
    the oil pan gasket needs replacing. I asked how much - they put P&L at $700 plus. Now, I own a 98 GS, 3.8L SC engine, and I love it. What gives? Anyone out there ever have to replace this gasket? I saw the oil but I don't have any real drip activity from what I can tell from observing my covered parking spot at home.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Have you actually checked to see that the oil is coming from the pan rather than somewhere else on the engine?

Has anyone tried tightening the pan bolts a little above the recommended torque to see if the gasket will stop the leak?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    My wife has a 98 Regal LS with 100K miles. Buick replaced the pan gasket under warranty three times, but we still get a leak the size of a quarter after the car sits all night. I would not pay $700 to replace it. It is cheaper to buy oil. For what its worth my 2001 Regal LS company car went 75K miles without the pan gasket leaking.
    Pan must be different from the 3800 in LeSabres. I'm on my third and have not had a drip, knock on wood.

• puddingtatpuddingtat Member Posts: 1
    The labor is so high as they must lift the engine to remove the oil pan. Not the best design for what otherwise could be a do-it yourself job. My dealer quoted much less, $480.00, to reseal the pan. This was 5 hours labor and $47.00 in parts, then oil change and shop fee.

GM says "The engine oil pan leak may be due to an uneven (rippled) sealing surface on the oil pan."

I tightened the oil pan bolts that I could reach and stemmed the leak somewhat, but some bolts were not accessible, so some dripping continues. (2001 LS)

#01-06-01-008A - (04/22/2002)
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Good question. I have hears some issues when approaching 100,000 miles. Brother had one go at 125,000 but it happened while towing a large trailer. Actually, most dealers do not even service these things and I recently purchased a used 2000 with 25,000 miles. Dealer was not really aware of maintenance requiremenets. Changing the SC oil is easy, syphon it out and replace it, full amount is 8 ounces and the GM SC oil sells only in 4 ounce bottles at $7.50 each. I replaced the oil twice so far as I did not like the color of it. If you keep adding oil where does it go?? This is a closed system and it should not be using SC oil. I have also, in another SC GM 3.8L used synthetic 0W30 motor oil in the SC and it worked fine as well and much less expensive then the GM product. I have heard that there is an undisclosed warranty on the SC for 100,000 miles, not sure if that is true or not
    I have a 2000 Regal GS. According to dealer, the supercharger oil level was very low at 30,000 miles. I was charged for two bottles of the oil, so it must be really low.

I serviced my car at Chevrolet dealer. I had to remind that I need this check with 30k mile service. My car waited a couple of days in the shop after dealer found the level was very low and - they had no supercharger oil and had to order it. It was before the supercharged version of Impala.

I tried to check the supercharger oil myself recently, at about 40,000 miles. Could not open the plug, though. Have impression that it was over tighten at dealership. I did not tried hard, because I was afraid to break the plug, or rather to strip the 6-edge hole for Allen wrench. Have no spare plug for the supercharger and do not know where to buy. Decided to ask dealer to check the level with the next routine oil change.

By the way, what tool do you use to tighten the plug? According to manual, it have to be tighten lightly, to 10 N*meter, or 88 lb*inch. Inch, not feet - this is a 30x difference. I looked for a torque wrench in several shops, but none was available with so low limit.
    For whatever reason, most GM dealerships do not know to check the SC fluid level. I have 97K on my 99' Regal GSE, and have checked the fluid level a few times. It was low each time. I meant to change the fluid before it got cold, but I did not. Will definately change it in the spring. If you do an internet search for Superchargers, a couple of sites come up that specialize in Eaton/GM units. They are remanufactured, but I do not know what the average cost is. Anyway, right know that is something that I do not look forward to replacing, because of the expense.
    The list price for GM supercharger is about $1,500, and I think it will costs so much if ordered through dealer. At gmpartsdirector it costs about $1,100. Made by Eaton, remanufactured by Magnuson - the only company licensed by Eaton to remanufacture.

Prices for superchargers rebuilt by independent companies are about $600 or $700 if I remember it right; I saw several ads on Internet.

Add labor to the part price. I believe that replacing supercharger would require several hours of labor. Something like $400 for 5 hours.
    All-

I thought I read somewhere the Supercharger in the GS carries a 100,000 mile warranty from the manufacturer....(?)
  • horned offhorned off Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 buick regal LS The car has been great up until 1 month ago. I live in chicago the outside air temp dropped to 5 above zero and my horn started to go on it was 4 am the horn must have been going for ten minutes before i could dissconnect the battery. I replaced both horns 64 dollars for parts and two nights later the same thing happened again someone please help this time the horns just stopped before i could get the battery disconnected but now the horn doest work. It is now 130am why does it only happen in the middle of the night.. hope someone can help i need a horn and some sleep
    it gets cold. Several years ago father-in-law bought a Gran Prix and its horn went off at 2 am in 20 degree or less. It was the contacts in the steering wheel in the plastic. GM replaced it for him.

It's worth troubling shooting first. The horns themselves wouldn't have gone off if there weren't power to them, so replacing them was a mistake. There is a relay for the horns in the Relay Box that you might remove _temporarily_ until you can have a dealer service the car(warranty time basis?). That relay may already have stuck or burned if the horn won't work now.

Since the airbag is in the steering wheel with the horn contacts, I wouldn't touch it myself.

Oh, did I mention my father-in-law's car was in our driveway since we kept his car and drove them to the airport. I didn't know where fuses, relays, anything was. I was ready to cut the wires to the horns if I could have gotten to them. I drove the car into the garage to work on it. Ever work on a car where the horn won't stop blowing at 2 am inside your double garage? Irritating!!!

• verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    I had a similar problems with a Taurus. The cause can be a hairline crack in a circuit board which widens just enough when very cold so as to break a connection. I know, try to find it. In my case, an entire board was replaced, ending the problem. For all I know, just removing the parts and re-installing them might have worked, too.
  • horned offhorned off Member Posts: 2
    arggggggggg going to replace the relay tommoro hoping that does it I dont want to have to go into the stering wheel since not having a horn i seem to get behind every moron on the road
    We have a 2000 GS, bought in October 2000, and November 30 we bought a 2004 GS. Contrary to what we expected, the cars are not twins.

1. The steering used to be very easy at slow speed. Much more harder with the new car. Reason: the 2000 have a variable power steering (Magnasteer); it was deleted in newer models. Does not matter when driving, but it is less convenient to park in tight garage or to make three point turns on driveway.

2. The 2000 model have two auto dimming mirrors: inside and driver-side outside. The 2004 - only the inside mirror. The outside one is tinted, but the tint is not as efficient as auto-dimming when driving on highways or multi-lane streets (except in the left lane).

3. The 2000 model have heated side mirrors. The feature was deleted for the 2004 model. Substantial difference in wet weather - the mirrors fogs. Safety item. In addition, have to deice them after snow.

4. The 2004 seats are not so soft as in our 2000 car. It looks (or rather it touches) as there is less of foam under the leather. The foam layer is thin, used to be thick.

The old seats are very comfortable for long trips - 5 to 10 hours. However, they make you to feel somewhat disconnected from the road, especially in city. You feel the road better with the new seats, and they are still rather comfortable. Did not drive the new car for longer than 2 hours, thought.

5. The 2000 model have a more sporty "performance shift mode". It was deleted. The 2004 model is still fast, with very good acceleration, but the 2000 model is even faster in the performance mode.

6. The 2004 model have a new radio. The 2000 CD player skips on every bump; the 2004 player does not skip at all on the same roads. The radio have a new feature, named RDS or something of this kind. It can display short messages broadcast by radio stations. I did not use it yet, and doubt if it is available in our city. Any case, am not sure it is a good idea to read radio messages while driving.

On the flip side, the new radio does not support disk changers. And it is impossible to switch off the anti-theft feature. A tiny red light blinks annoyingly when the engine does not running. More important, to the my understanding, the radio will die if you disconnect the battery, for repair or diagnostics. Only GM dealer can fix it by entering a secret code. $50 service.

Who would steal the GM radio?

7. The new car have OnStar. GM advertises it as a safety feature. It looks as hypocrisy for me - especially provided GM deleted heat from the side mirrors. I am also somewhat uneasy with the device which lets spying on me. I even mulling to remove power from the OnStar, disconnecting it from the cable.

8. Few small things were deleted:

- the passenger side door lock. Makes sense for me: with the power locks, the manual lock is never used.

- the insert for coins was deleted. Does not matter for me.

- The shifter position illumination was deleted. If you want to verify the shifter position when it is dark, e.g if it on "R" or "N", you have to look on the instrument panel. It makes less convenient complicated parking, 3-point turns, etc. in the night time.

9. The engine was modified somewhat.

The engine of the 2000 model used to require the 10W30 oil for the temperature above 60F and 5W30 for temperature below 0F, with the both oil weights good for temperature in the range of 0-60F. However, during a typical Connecticut winter, the temperature can vary between lower than 0F and higher than 60F. I am using synthetic oil for peace of mind.

The 2004 model requires the 5W30 oil for all seasons. It also provides for longer intervals between oil changes, according to the oil monitor. This is more convenient.

10. There is impression that the 2004 model is built better. None rattles in the steering wheel or under the dashboard. There is only a very slight rattle in the driver-side B pillar
    This morning I took the car to a local dealership. They again could not duplicate the problem, but did end up replacing the blower module. I hope that this was the problem. The dealership does not even know. I asked if other Regal's,Century's, Grand Prix, have had this problem? No, mine is a first. I will keep you all updated. Also they found that the oil pan gasket is leaking, what is the average cost of that repair?
    In the back of my owner's manual it says the SC is warrantied for 6 years or 75,000 miles. My Buick service manager said they will exchange an old one with a rebuilt one for about $600.00, which is less than 1/2 the cost of a new one. BTW, some dealerships are reluctant to change the oil because it stinks like hell, and the smell lingers for days. However, they will change it if you press them hard enough on it. The manager said not changing it at 36,000 miles causes damage to the impellers and seals. Then they start to leak. He said the SC gets much hotter with older oil, so it's wise to change it to prolong its life. As the saying goes "pay me now or pay me later".
    I almost had a disaster with my '98 Regal GS. Last week I heard an unusual noise coming from under the hood during idle. I opened it and saw my S/C tensioner-pulley was wobbling and making weird noises. I read my extended warranty and saw the part and labor were covered, so I took it to the dealer. I thought something was wrong when my S/C was only making ~4 lbs. of boost at WOT. The service manager told me some horror stories about pulleys breaking loose and serpentine belts flying around, damaging the engine and related parts. He suggested that people should insist that all engine and S/C pulleys (and belts) be carefully inspected during oil changes.
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I had a 1999 Regal and it had all of the features as your 2000 had and they were standard items. I recently traded it in for a 2005 LaCrosse. This is supposed to replace the Regal. It is a nice car but I sure miss all of the standard gadgets my 99 had. The one I miss the most is the cornering lights. The steering on the LaCrosse is stiffer (no variable effort power steering)As far as service goes it was the best and most reliable car I have owned. The LaCrosse is smooth and quiet but Buick forgot to put a manual opener in for the trunk. In case of a battery or solenoid failure there is no way to get into the trunk unless you are able to remove the rear seat. What a way to save money.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    and a big selling point was the high content level for the price - a car with cast wheels, auto A/C, Monsoon radio, dimming mirrors, etc., etc. stickered at only $25K, and cost me a lot less! The '02 I traded it in on was a similar bargain. I still have it, since it seems that the decontenting since '03 continues with the LaCrosse, unless you go for the top of the line CXS. It's all in the marketing. As for that missing LaCrosse trunk lock, I've NEVER used a key there with my Regals; hopefully the day will never come that you need to open it without the wireless fob or with a dead battery. Question for GM - WWLD [what would Lexus do]?
    what about dead fob battery?

2000 and later Regal GS has split folding rear seats and front strut tower brace. If I remember it right, 1999 has relatively narrow trunk bypass, for skis etc. I am not sure, if the tower brace appeared in 1999 or 2000. Any case, the brace costs about $20 and can be installed cheap.
    I agree with you on the comparison between the Regal and the new LaCrosse. Personally I would not buy a LaCrosse because it does not have the features that I can get on cheaper GM cars not to mention the competition. I have not driven one, but did sit in one at the Philly auto show. I came away very impressed by the fit and finish, but disappointed with the standard offerings.

On another note, my blower motor is working fine now. The dealer replaced the blower module a couple of weeks ago, and it has been OK ever since.
  • tycoalatycoala Member Posts: 1
    My 95 regal gs just started doing the same thing. Yesterday, I stopped at the store, got back in and turned the ignition and click, click, click. The power locks dont work but my head lights work. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and what it might be. I just lost my job so I could use some help in laymens terms please.
  • kuqikuqi Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem..how much was the repair? did it happen again ? please let me know
    The module was $154.90 and it took an hour to install. Total price was about $250.00 plus tax.
    No the problem has not happened again, although I do get a squeaking noise that only happens when the fan is on. Anyway the blower works OK.
    Was it the blower resistor or the blower motor ?
    Does anyone know how to replace the Heater/AC control unit? I am having a hard time trying to figure out. Thank You
    It was not the blower motor, it was the blower module. The dealership did not mention that the resistor was bad. They only told me that since the problem was intermittent, they were not sure if it even was the blower module. If it was not, then something else would have to be replaced. Anyway like I said before, it is working fine.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback''bporter1 ''..it is appreciated
  • foxglovefoxglove Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Buick Regal LS about 1.5
    months ago. I have a question about the auto
    climate control. Does the "pure" front defrost mode
    supposed to be remembered by the system to that
    when you start it the next morning it will come on
    to this ?? Mine remembers the defrost mode for about
    20 + min. it seems and then defaults back to auto/floor mode - this is once it is started and
    then the defrost mode is selected. I have a remote
    starter and all I can defrost the windows with is
    windshield - floor not pure front defrost. I am
    talking about the defrost button above the rear
    defrost on the auto control. Thank You,

Sincerely,
    foxglove
    aseidl@ironbay.net
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I need to replace the tires and struts on my 98 Regal GS. I know different folks have posted over time that "this" or "that" combo is better, but since a lot of time has passed, what does anyone think is best now??

I'm not looking to make the ride any stiffer than need be. With recent back surgery I appreciate the softer ride in life but don't want to wallow like an old fashioned car.

I know the forum is kinda dead. I might go to the Pontiac side and see if anyone can help if nobody stops by in the next few days/weeks.

Thanks...
    I am on my third set of tires for my 99 Regal, and the last two sets have been H rated tires. They give me a little more cornering abilty, but the ride is still pretty good. I travel the highways a lot, and I have no problems with ride.
    Obviously, this is just a suggestion, but it depends on how aggresively you drive your car.
    Good luck in your search.
    I replaced my struts with Monroe struts when Sears had a sale with free installation or with buy one get one free. The salesman told me that their better sale was coming up the next week. So I waited and got them then.

They improved the control without being too stiff after about 1000 miles or so of breakin. It is a LeSabre not a Regal. But I believe the design of the control from the strut would be the same quality with a Regal.

• Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    You might look at the KYB GR-2 struts...They'll give you a better ride...

For pure performance...The GMPP Koni/Spring combination from GMPerformanceParts is the ultimate in handling...

For tires, and I have them, consider the Falken Zeix 512's in a 235/55 x 16...
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I have visited both the Monroe and KYB home pages. The KYB rep I chatted with online stated that their equipment is the same as the OEM parts that came (or would come with) the Regal GS. Does this sound kosher with what you know, Jack44?

I've been to a GM dealership, one where I have a relative that works in the part department, and whether he's giving me a bargain or not is debatable, but he stated front struts would be $172.78 * 2 and rear would be $98.01 * 2 for a grand total of $541.58. That is "supposedly" not the market rate I'd be charged otherwise. (I'd hate to see their market rate).

KYB came backwith a quote for $238.42 total for front AND back.

Again, thanks guys.

Joe