Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Do any of you guys know of a car polish that works well if you live in a dusty area? Everything I've bought the past two years seems to do nothing but attract dust as soon as I put it on. I've lived in the sticks for a long time and it didn't used to be that way, but oh well...

I've tried most all of the top name brands and they all seem to attract dust big-time. It doesn't matter if I let the car sit a day or so or immediately drive up the road - same result.
  • bridges1bridges1 Member Posts: 2
    My 1999 Regal has developed a problem with the engine shutting down (dead)at highway speed with no apparent cause. It has restarted each time but it is a serous problem when traveling the freeway. The service techs have no clue. Any comments would be welcome.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Ask this over in

Mr_Shiftright, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #1150, 12 Mar 2005 9:27 pm
    and Alcan probably has an answer. You might search through that for "engine dying" and "shutting down" since the question might already have been asked for one of the W-bodies.

If you find an answer post it here for others to read please.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• techmari04techmari04 Member Posts: 5
    okay, im new to this site and i was browsing the internet in trying to find an answer to my question on my '99 buick regal gse.. i hope that if i post this question i can get a quick response.. !!! i really do need some feedback on this issue that i have with my car.. okay, i dont know too much on cars but i am a female..i know A FEMALE and i was curious on what i should do about my buick regal shutting off on when i start it up.. maybe its the fuel pump or something thats causing my car to shut off~ i really need my car to work and i have no way of getting easy transportation to work but i want to tell you something that happened to be yesterday... i was at work til about 3 and my brother called me saying that his '01 chevy cavalier broke down on the e-way 'cause his battery was discharged and when u tried to start the car all it did was make a clicking noise.. anywayz aside from his car breaking down, my dad is a mechanic himself, he checked his battery found out that his battery was discharged, took my brothers battery out and put in his battery from a 89' cavalier and walaaaa my brothers car turned on.. well my brother left to work and i was there with my dad be'cuz he wanted to charged my brothers discharged battery with mine in hopes of charging it back up welllll come to find out it didnt work.. my dads car didnt want to start.. sooo we had to go to murray's auto store and by a replacement battery..and that worked.. so when i got home that night i parked it for about 4 hrs came back outside and tried to start my car.. it turns on but shuts right back off... is it cuz my battery went bad after charging my brothers "dud" battery or was it the fact that me putting in gas from a Mobil gas station had somehow caused some type of problem with my feuling system... oh geeze!! i sound dumb right now but can someone please help me.. my dad checked my car out tonight and saw that when my car turned on some pump had shut off and this made my car shut off too.. well, if you had the same problem or maybe know what is wrong with my car turning off then please reply~~ ?!?!?!?! im in need of an answer!!!!!!!! a.s.a.p... Thank You, Rissa
    and one more thing.. when my dad turns my car on,he quickly steps on the gas and he continuosly presses on the quickly and while doing that the car stays on and then in between the vrooom u hear a "put put" noise(if you know what i mean).... i hope that helps you in figuring out my problem!!!
    ............. I have another problem with my buick regal gse... hope you have an answer to my question!!!!!!! :o) ~ any who..when i first purchased my car in Oct 04 everything was fine.. i was driving so smooth.... now about 3 to 4 months later when i drive my car, and i am going between 50 and 65mph, i hear a thumping noise towards the back of the car.. the front tires, i had balanced those at a tire shop but i didnt do the back tires.. could that have been the problem.. or do i need to change the struts or tire rods?????? hmmm, hope whoever replies to my messages can figure out my "Regal" problems.. Thank You again fellas~~
  • zedzed Member Posts: 2
    Have a '99 GS with the automatic headlight feature. Supposedly, with the headlight pull switch in the "off/in" position, but the lights are on due to the automatic headlight feature, you should be able to turn them to "parking lights only" by pulling the headlight switch halfway out to the "parking lamp position." Mine doesn't work. Basically the headlight switch doesn't have any effect when the lights are on. If I start the car w/parking brake on & pull out the switch, lights come on normally (parking & headlights). When I put it in gear or remove parking brake with headlamp switch in/off, lights come on like they should with the auto feature, but if I want to turn them off or to parking lamps the switch has NO effect, doesn't do anything. So I basically can't turn the lights to the parking lamp position at all with the switch like the manual says I should be able to. Any ideas? Fuse? Relay? Help!
    I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM.. AFTER READING SEVERAL FORUMS AT AUTOMOTIVE HELPER.COM, I FOUND THE ANSWER AS TO WHY MY CAR SHUTS OFF AFTER STARTING IT.. WELL.. ITS THE FUEL PUMP RESISTOR LOCATED IN THE RELAY BOX!!! BUT BEFORE PURCHASING THE RESISTOR I WANTED TO BE SURE THAT THE RESISTOR WAS WHAT I NEEDED ..SO ALL I DID WAS: LOCATE THE FUEL PUMP SWITCH (A BLACK PIECE WITH 5 PRONGS STICKING OUT OF IT, PULL IT OUT, AND STICK A PAPER CLIP IN THE TWO SLOTS (30 AND 87A)<< THAT IS WHERE THE RESISTOR IS LOCATED!! AS I WENT TO TURN MY CAR ON, THE CAR STOOD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YESSSS...!! NOW I NEED TO GO BUY THE RESISTOR AT THE DEALERSHIP!! GEEZE! ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT MY CAR!
  • sham4sham4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the group and since this is the first problem that I've had with my '00 GSE I thought I would drop a line. Two days ago I had the same problem of engine shut down 2-3 seconds after start-up. Another member on this list already found the solution that I came to which was the fuel pump resistor located under the battery. How glad was I that it was this $30 resistor instead of the $300 fuel pump! Take care all.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got it figured out - let us know how it goes at the dealership.

And P.S., please turn off your caps lock. A message in all caps is hard to read, and it looks like you are yelling at us. :)
  • revev7revev7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal. The keyless entry is giving me trouble. The battery is OK. What is the process to reprogram the fob? I have found instructions for a 1999 and 2002 and they are different, so I thought I had better ask for 2000 specifically.
    I hope I helped you with your problem sham4...Who knew it would have been the fuel pump resistor causing the fuel pump to stop working.. You should try the paper Clip trick.. That'll let you know for sure if the resistor is what you may need... well take care...~
  • scorpion657scorpion657 Member Posts: 1
    I hope you guys have an answer to that one. I have a 1998 Regal GS and lately' i've been hearing a weird noise coming from the front end of the car when i first move the car. Then it goes away. Some said it's the transmission mount but since it only does it once, it doesnt seem to be it. i need help...!!!
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    In regards to tires, I replaced the Goodyears with Michelin X-Ones on my '99 LSE and have never regretted a moment since. Quiet, strong, great cornering and stability and excellent traction in the snow. They currently have 20k miles on them and still look like new. Got the idea from the second-hand Chrysler Town & Country we bought that came with them. These tires are a little pricey, but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time I highly recommend them.

About the struts, do you really need to replace them? On these cars they often go 100k miles before needing replacement.
    Not sure about a car polish that prevents dust, but have you considered possibly getting a car duster? I got a "Baja Sol" for Xmas one year, and it really works. It's like a mop on a short handle that you sweep over the surface of your car, letting the baked-on paraffin wax in the mop lift off the dust. Mine was purchased as Target.
    After reading your post of couple of times, I think I understand that you are asking why you can't control the parking lights via the dash switch when the headlights have already been turned on by the automatic lights-on system. Sorry, but I think that's how the beast is really supposed to work. You can turn the parking lights on alone when the auto headlights haven't kicked in yet, like when it is cloudy or rainy, but not quite dark enough. Once the sensor turns on the headlights, I'm pretty sure the switch on the dash is of little value, except maybe to adjust the intensity of your dash lights.
    My X-Ones lost a lot of their snow grip for stopping after 55000. A dealer pointed out that the siping depth has been worn away at taht time. Mine have about 80K on them and still have 5 or 4 thiry-seconds of tread.

I hated to trade them in since there is so much highway mileage left in them. I replaced two.
    I bought two new Harmonys for the fronts. Great snow tread.

Please view message #2764 in this forum for instructions on reprogramming your key fob. The instructions are the same for '97 through '04 model years.
  • kathy5kathy5 Member Posts: 2
    I see that this is an older subject but...I have a 99 regal gse. Last year, I heard a really strange noise, sounded like plastic flying apart! Ever since then, my blower does not work at all. Does anyone have a picture of the blower module to see if that is what broke apart? The car gets warm but does not have the force it used to.
    I think you can actually see the blower fan after removing the cabin air filter element. The element is above the fan and accessed from the cowling under the windshield wipers. Instructions for removal and replacement of the element are in your owner's manual, but if you don't have one please view posting #1281 on this forum.

Sometimes debris gets past the air filter into the fan assembly. Who knows? Maybe you'll be able to find and remove a twig, for instance, that got caught up between a fan blade and the housing.
    Is the squirrel cage of the blower plastic? Is it possible some of the plastic vanes broken away. That would explain slow movement of air. If you are able to see the squirrel cage, turn on the blower to see if it rotates. And then watch as it slows down after someone turns off the key or heat switch to see if some fins are missing.

I also believe I've heard of some not rotation with the motor shaft. Something breaks away that locks the squirrel cage to the shaft. Then the motor turns but the fan doesn't.

With the car sitting still turn blower on high. Do you hear the motor. Does the air come out somewhere, defroster, heater, midlevel vents?

• bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    My car is at about 114,000 on the mileage, and the ride feels like it's beginning to degrade some. I have to do a fair amount of driving and can tell it's not just a certain road I travel a lot that is the problem (in missouri there are tons of bad roads - as a lot of places i'm sure).

I will look into the car duster - hadn't thought of that. I'm not a wax technician, but imho they've removed some ingredient from polishes that in the past would deter dust accumulation to whatever degree possible. I have an ancient Ford PU and can wax it with the stuff that's out now and it accumulates dust like crazy (where it wouldn't before), so I know it's not just something out of left field with my car's clear coat/paint.

The Falken tires or the x-1's seem to be a good long-term bet, from what I've researched. I found a guy in my area (did his taxes and while talking driving and mileage the subject came up) that has Falken's and he sung their praises like he was auditioning for a commerical.

Thanks for the input everyone.

BEFORE I go, has anyone out there had an engine power flush done? Honestly had never heard of it and came across it in another car thread inside edmunds. As I understand, they basically flush a cleaning solution through your engine as the middle part of what is otherwise an oil change. If someone has had this done, what does the cost usually run? Is it a useful maintenance item to do or a good waste of $$$ ??
    I've heard little of these so-called "power flushes", but I'd be skeptical of the effect the strong chemicals might have to parts like camshafts, lifters, crankshafts, seals, etc. If the engine seems to be running okay, well, why risk it? I don't know. I guess to me I'd rather spend the money on regularly scheduled oil changes.
  • revev7revev7 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. I figured there would be a simple answer to this question.
  • frankus3frankus3 Member Posts: 2
    Do any of you folks know how to tell if a 99 to 2001 regal LS is equipped w/the gran touring suspension? Are the 16" alloys an obvious clue?
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Yes. There will also be discreet 'Gran Touring' badges on the dash.
  • frankus3frankus3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much. I'm shopping around for one right now and didn't want to guess.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    This problem may have been discussed a long time ago, but I somtimes develop a rough idle when the car is in park or drive. When I step on the gas, there is a slight hesitation then there is no problem at all. I have no trouble getting up to speed, and cruising on the highway. The car has 100K miles on it, and is a 99' Regal GSE. Most everything is original. I have changed the spark plugs about a year and a half ago. The check engine light has never come on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    Brian, perhaps you could try a bottle of Chevron's Techron fuel injector cleaner added to the gas tank after it is about 1/2 empty. Run it until the tank is nearly empty. My car was doing the same thing, and the Techron took care of the problem. Nowadays I add a bottle after every oil change.
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    Hi fellow GS owners-

I own a 2002 Regal GS w/ about 47K miles on it. My check engine light comes on intermittently, *mostly* when I have a half tank or less. Now, I know the manual says a check engine light could come on due to a less than half-full tank, OR a loose gas tank cap, etc., but has anyone else found that an intermittent check engine light led to some other problem?

Thanks,
    jbm
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    How difficult and expensive would it be to replace the tank cap?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try some of the Chevron Techron.
    The Techron is to be added with an almost empty tank. Put the Techron in then fill to the # of gallons for the size bottle you bought. I'd allow about 3 gallons left in tank. So add 9 gallons at the pump to get to 12 gallons or whatever the quantity is. Use premium, name brand fuel. Drive till nearly empty again and add another bottle. Do not use more than twice even if no effect seen.

This is the procedure from a radio car repair show. I've used it. It makes a difference.

Roughen idle might be from carbon buildup around the intake butterfly. My 3800 had that at 90000 or so. Clean inside the opening with catalytic converter approved intake cleaner (Pep Boys). My throttle had started to stick when started cold because the carbon was rubbing against the throttle plate.

I can provide link to Technical Questions discussion or explain further if you want.

I really appreciate all the feed back that I have
    received. Thanks again, and I will keep you all posted on what happens.
  • zedzed Member Posts: 2
    I searched the site for any info on a CD changer that'll hook up directly to the factory Monsoon stereo on a '99 GS & the info that came back was a few years old. Hoping someone might have some new more current info on this. Looking for a CD changer (6-, 10- or 12-disc) to go in the trunk that I can plug into the factory Monsoon system in my '99 GS. Has anyone done this or found out any info on this endeavor? Any & all info appreciated! Models, part numbers, where to buy, how well it works, etc. I read that if your system has the "source" button on the stereo you can use a changer.

Thanks!
  • ev910ev910 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm a real fan of the 87 Buick Grand National, I came across these videos online and I thought you might like to see them.

http://www.bargainnet.org/TurboBuicks.wmv
    http://www.bargainnet.org/TurboBuicks2.wmv
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver Member Posts: 1
    april 12 -05 wed.

the vent in this car only blow out defrost vent,no matter what setting
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Member Posts: 50
    I have a 99 Regal LS, and every time I fill up with the gas light on it takes about 13 gallons. I thought that it had a 17 gallon tank? How long can you Regal owners drive with the gas light on, and how many gallons can you squeeze in there?

Thanks,
    JM.
  • kjsteelekjsteele Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Regal GS. Lately, after sitting overnight, when I start it up, the idiot lights flash and the gage arrows all bounce around like mad once or twice, and then they all go out completely. This includes odometer readings, gas tank temperature gages -- everything. I know that by disconnecting the battery from the positive terminal and then reconnecting, I can reset all of this, but why should I have to go to all this trouble to get the instruments to work?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    in my '02 LS. Every so often, all the dash lights, messages, etc. come on. The motor keeps running, the car drives normally, etc. I find that shutting off the ignition for 30 seconds and restarting restores the normal dash display. The dealer has suggested that one of the ABS sensors has a bad connection but every time they check that out they come up empty. Damp weather [overnight condensation?] seems to coincide with the problem. You didn't say whether the problem persisted after shutting down. As to disconnecting the battery, won't that mean resetting the radio presets, etc.?
  • lisas90regallisas90regal Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a question, I have a 1990 Buick Regal and it has stopped running bought a new battery and a new alternator it is still not turning over. Won't start at all. All the lights come on, when I open the door the pinging noise go off but no start up. I had the last alternator tested and it was bad, anyone ever had this problem and could this be spark plugs. :cry:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    When we had the problem with our "94" Buick Century wagon it was the starter.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kjsteelekjsteele Member Posts: 2
    After I posted this, I finally got inspired and checked the fuse. Although the wire inside did not appear to be broken, I replaced it, fired up the engine, still no instrument cluster. So, I disconnected and reconnected the positive cable one more time, and, voila! It's worked steadily now since I posted the initial problem.

Actually, all the lights and messages would flash twice and then disappear. Sometimes they would flash like crazy, disappear, and then reappear ten minutes later. I'm guessing it's the fuse, but I'm no electrician.

After a while, it's a bit unnerving to be driving without knowing whether you have gas, how fast you're going, etc. The car would drive normally, though.

The initial problem did appear to be related to moisture, and would act up after rainy nights, etc. This time, however, nothing seemed to help. Do fuses "wear out"?

Yeah, it does losing the presets, but that's the least of my problems. Disconnecting the battery was something my husband had figured out, so I just took it a little bit further.
  • wisspurrwisspurr Member Posts: 2
    Was wondering if anyone else has experienced a leak in the trunk. It's on the right side, just above the wheel well. The weatherstripping around the trunk looks good, so I am wondering where else it could possibly be coming from. Thanks!
  • wisspurrwisspurr Member Posts: 2
    Is this the same as the 3.8L V-6 MFI SC?
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Member Posts: 50
    Yes, I had the same Right Side leak in my 99 Regal, and did nothing with it. Have not done anything, and it's gone way. Weird.

Hey, how many gallons will your cars take when the gas light is one.

Thanks,
    J.M.
  • dwodwo Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    just found the forum. I have a 2000 Regal. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to on (just before cranking) all the dash lights will flash on and off continuously until I turn the key back off. The car will not crank. the lights just flash and the chimer will make it's normal sound. Sometimes it will crank, but will only go about a mile before shutting off again. Then, back to the flashing dash lights when I try to start it.
    Has anyone had this weird problem? This is the first problem I've had and I have 88,000 miles on it.
    I've read that the computer that reads the security key, may be going bad. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
    No doubt by now you've already checked the battery. I've read that a low or dead battery cell can cause the symptoms you decribed. :sick:
    Not sure if I understand your question, but the "SC" stands for Supercharged. The motor comes on Regal "GS" models, has 240 horses and burns premium gas. The supercharger is located near the top front starboard side of the engine.
  • dwodwo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Yes battery is ok. I was told it may be the ignition switch. So I took the covers off the steering column and tapped on the switch(black box just under the key insert) and WOW! problem cleared up and car started fine. Take key out, put it back in, dash lights start flashing, tap up on the switch and lights stop flashing and car cranks! So I guess I'll get a new switch and see if it cures it.