Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Buick Regal 2
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    I have been following this topic for a while now. I have seen the postings about the dash rattle and the dim AC controls. I am probably going to get a 2001 GS soon and was wondering if these problems are showing up on the 2001 models also.

I have a 1999 Chrysler 300M, early model, that I got when the lease was up on my 1996 Buick Riviera because GM decided to drop the Riv for 1999. Am I EVER sorry that I didn't just get a Regal THEN! I fell for the looks of the 300M and have been sorry ever since! It's the WORST car that I have EVER owned!

The problems that Chrysler is having right now do NOT surprise me at all. They can't keep skimping on quality parts year after year and poor dealer service and expect their sales to continue to climb. It has caught up to them now just like in the 80's! Firing people left and right will NOT solve the problem! I saw this coming a LONG time ago.

Thanks for any info that you may have.

fastdriver
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Just curious, what kind of problems has your 300M had? I do like the look of the car and while I am skeptical about Chrysler quality, I would almost consider giving one a look. Guess I'll stick with GM for now. I agree with you that it was a disappointment to see Buick drop the Riv. And now they are coming out with an SUV. Personally, I'd like to see a new Riv as well as a modern day two seater(a'la Reatta) done right.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    If you're going to buy or lease a 2000 Regal
    by (before) 12/31, and don't live in
    Colorado, Idaho, Hawaii, Washington or
    Wyoming, I have a coupon Buick sent me
    (to give a friend) for $500.00 off your purchase.

It can be combined with GM dollars and current rebates, but not GM employee discounts. Let me know if you want it.
    Ok, I'll admit it' I didn't read all the details
    on your web page about the 300M, but
    I got the gist.

I had a 98 Intrigue which I bought new
    that could rival the 300M, though I think I
    received slightly better treatment from the
    GM dealer. No known lying at least.

I may have missed it if you did, but didn't see
    where you persued Lemon law about that
    "jewel".
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I own a 2000 GSE with about 2,400 miles and have not noticed any problems so far. I really like the car. Buick does a poor job marketing this car. With Tiger Woods as their spokesman, they should try to shake the elderly image associated with Buick. I would never have considered buying a Regal if I hadn't stumbled upon one while looking at other brands. It could use a little more styling, but the performance and comfort are excellent when you consider the price of the car.
    peufan-

Thanks for the offer, but I would be getting a 2001 model. No, I did not pursue the Lemon Law. Looking back, I probably should have.

pgorges-

Buick does a POOR job of marketing ALL of their vehicles. I don't get it. Of course advertising is no guarantee that the car will sell, but when was the last time you saw a Buick commercial on TV- aside from the current Century lease? When was the last time you saw a Toyota or Chrysler commercial- probably 5 minutes ago. LOL...

They did the same thing with the Riviera. That was a great car- roomy, peppy, loaded with options etc. If you were looking for a luxury, full-size, 2-door, peppy GM car, what did they have to offer a few years ago? Riviera OR Eldorado? WHY spend thousands more for the Eldo when the Riv was just as nice! Have you ever read http://www.autoextremist.com? He says it all the time- GM has MISSED the boat. They need a wake-up call like Chrysler is getting now! I write to Buick all the time and tell them to get with the times and give us a "head-turning" car like the Chrysler models! That's about all Chrysler has going for it- looks! Forget everything else. Their quality sucks and their "5-STAR" dealers are a JOKE, especially in the Northeast! I'm waiting for the Buick LaCrosse showcar to be produced. Supposedly it's coming in 2004 to replace the Park Avenue. Now that's a head-turner! This would be a good time to steal some Chrysler designers since none of their concept cars are going to be produced now that the German headhunters have arrived in Auburn Hills! I've told Buick that too! ;-)) Supposedly they have opened a file with my comments and have passed them along to the proper departments. How else do they know what WE want or are looking for? You have to write to them and let them know.

fastdriver
    I agree with you on the marketing. I'm 26 and while the "Buick image" doesn't bother me, I know that most people my age would not even consider a Buick. Thats okay, let them have their little 4 cylinder Hondas and Toyotas. Next time you seem them at a stoplight, let them see what that "elderly" supercharged 3800 V6 will do:) Glad your liking your car. I have the Regal's cousin(Olds Intrigue) and I like it alot. I do like the Intrigue's styling better and the reason I went with the Intrigue was because it offered more features at a base level which was all I could afford at the time. Had I been shopping higher end models, the Regal GS would have really been a serious consideration and I still may consider one next year when the lease on my 98 Intrigue is up.
    Tell Buick that the Park Avenue needs the 4.0 liter DOHC V8. I agree with you on the Riv. I loved them. The Eldorado is a nice car too, but it is much more expensive than the Riv was and is actually older in terms of design. And after this year, it is gone. Then the only choice for a decent sized coupe from GM is the Monte Carlo or the Grand Prix. At least they should bring back the Regal coupe. I could settle for a 2 door Regal GS. GM has a habit of not promoting good cars. Case in point; I used to have an 89 Oldsmobile Toronado. Those were very nice cars and way ahead of their time. OLds sold probably 10,000 a year if that and dropped it in 92. Now, what cars did you see Olds advertising all the time? Those POS Cutlass Cieras and Achievas. No wonder Olds had such a bad image to shake. They never promoted their good stuff like the Toronado, the Ninety-Eight Touring Sedan, or the Cutlass Supreme I-series. Buick did a litte better, but the Reatta never was promoted to it's full potential. And when was the last time you saw a commercial for an F-body?
    etharmon-

Is the supercharged engine available on any of the Oldsmobile models? If they are, I have never heard or read anything about this.

Like you, the Buick image doesn't bother me in the least either! I buy what I like and what I can afford. The Regal needs something to differentiate it from the Century.

You're right! The Olds 98 was a great car too! I had a 1980 Olds Toronado. Nice car too. Only problem with that car was the DIESEL engine!! You can see pics of all my past cars on my website listed above.

The new Olds Aurora has a great rear-end, but what's with the front with those big, ugly, fish-mouth openings? They ruined that car too! I would have considered one of those with the V-8, but not with that front-end.

There aren't many cars these days with that "WOW" feature- at least not for me.

fastdriver
    Thanks for the link. That is really unacceptable service from the dealers as well as the car. My father is considering a new car to replace his 95 Aurora and while he is pretty much considering another one, I had thought about having him test a Chrysler 300M or LHS as they are beautiful cars. But after reading your story as well as others and considering his past experience with a 1990 Grand Caravan and the famous "ultra drive" transaxle, I don't think he will consider another Chrysler product. I had truly hoped they had their quality problems taken care of. I know that GM cars may not be perfect, but I do think GM cars are much better designed and more reliable than Chryslers. Just maybe not as good looking. I also liked those pictures of your older cars. I always liked the 86-93 Rivieras alot and I too liked the digital instruments. My 89 Toronado had them as well as a driver information center that would tell you everything from "low A/C refrigerant" to "headlights suggested" if I had the twilight sentinel turned off and it was dark outside. While the Regal may not be as sharp as the 300M, I think you will be more than pleased with how it drives. I've never driven a Chrysler that had a smooth shifting transmission. I remember on my parents Caravan, the transaxle had to be replaced less than a year after the van was purchased and the new one still did not shift smoothly. My old 89 Toronado shifted better at 115K when I traded it than the Caravan with probably half as many miles did. And the 89 Olds did not have electronic shift control like the new ones do. Good luck on your new choice.
    No current Oldsmobile has the supercharged 3800, ot any 3800 for that matter. The Intrigue now has a 3.5 liter DOHC which is based on the Northstar V8 and it is quite an impressive engine. In 98, the Intrigue came with the regular 3800V6, but not the supercharged. Only the Eighty-Eight LSS and early 90s Touring Sedans offered the blown 3800.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Concerning the "WOW" features.

We rented a silver Pontiac GrandAm last summer. The very first day probably eight of our colleagues either congratulated us with new car or asked about it. About half of our laboratories did it in the three weeks while our own car was in body shop. It was almost hard to disillusion them :-)

This fall we bought a burgundy-red Regal GS. A much better car. We are parking it on the same spot. In three weeks we drive it to work, only one colleague notice we have a new car. She walked by the very moment when my wife backed-up the car into alley. Had had to wait for half-minute for the Buick to free the passage on the sidewalk. Impossible not to notice.

This is exactly what we like in the Regal exterior appearance. Want zero WOW effects in our car.

Would like to develop WOW programs, though :-)
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    I'm 23 and owning a Buick doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I almost feel lucky. I have the last year for the coupe, and the only year with a 3800 series II combined with the coupe. I think the coupe was dropped due to slow sales. However, I have never seen one like mine before. I think if they had made more like mine they would have sold more. Mine came with chrome wheels and is totally loaded. I can't believe what a difference wheels can make. I'm up to 41,250 miles now. Next week I'm taking it in to get a dent on the roof (long story) fixed. I will be getting an Intrepid for a rental for about three days. I'll let you know what I think. Of course it's going to be the base model, '99 or '00. The base engine in that is a 200hp 2.7 V6. I'll let you know what I think of that. I have heard that the horsepower figures from Chysler are overrated. It will be a good comparison since my motor is rated at 205hp. We'll see....

BTW, you can see my car at:
    http://www.geocities.com/gs96_2000
  • sam775sam775 Member Posts: 22
    Hi. Much like Fastdriver, I'm having Chrysler trouble. I'm abvout to go the lemon law route and I think I have a good enough case to win. Has anyone leased a GS lately? 2000 or 2k1? If there is someone out there and they don't mind sharing their monthly payment, along with options included, I would appreciate it. I see no lease or finance specials on GS Regals. Or any Regals for that matter.
    sam775-

Try this page-
    http://www2.edmunds.com/edweb/rebates/index.html?id=hpregincentive1

I think if you're in the Northeast, you'll get a good deal.

fastdriver
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    Have you guys seen the Oldsmobile special concept Intrigue? It is on the Old's web site. This is exactly what GM needs to build. The engine is supercharged and claimed to deliver 250 hp. The styling looks great. I think they could sell a lot of these cars if it were to go into production.
    Getting back to the Regal. Just finished driving my GS on the interstate for about half an hour. Averaged over 27 MPG. Not bad. Of course I resisted stepping on it much to achieve this kind of result.
    Well, today I took my car in to get the oil changed at the local Penzoil shop. While the oil was being changed, one worker accidentally dripped tranny fluid all over my hood. Came right off with a wet towel, but I got a free oil change out of it and he gave me $15 to get my car washed at a professional carwash. I came home with $37 more than I would have if he had not had the little accident. I was actually pretty happy. More Christmas money. :)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I was thinking of subscribing to the same service from alldata.com. In your opinion, you think it's worth it? They give you the complete TSB and not just a brief description? Satisfied so far?
    TIA
  • chuckw2chuckw2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a very nice 98 Regal GS and so far I love it except for one thing, The first tank of gas on Chevron Premium netted only 18.2.
    That is ridiculous. I traded in a 95 Tbird with the 4.6 v8 and for the same type of driving, which was mostly country backroads at about 50-60 mph and a very light foot on the power, would have easily hit 23-25. I read several tests and looked through the archival listings here and nobody seemed to be doing this poorly.
    I really want to keep the car but this isn't going to work if that's all I can expect.
    Any thoughts?
    Your mileage is very low indeed for the rural roads. Would be OK for stop and go city traffic.

Probably, your car needs tune-up.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    As noted in a previous post way back I solved one of the rattles on the right side of the dash by removing the fuse cover and adding more foam padding. My car is a 97.
    I have a rattle on the left side of dash, just opposite to the fuse cover. Have impression, that the reason is with the left-side dash "cover", that does not cover anything. Do not know, though, is it as easy to remove it as the fuse cover.
    Yurakm I have not looked at that panel but it is probably held in place by clips like the fuse cover. I also have a rattle on the drivers side but I am pretty sure it is coming from something neer or attatched to the steering column. I have not had a chance to look around under there but I hope to do so soon and will let you know.
    Thank you!
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    I get about 22 mpgs with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. On road trips through the mountains we get about 24-25 mpgs with our GS. Haven't taken it on a flat road trip yet...
  • dadanedadane Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2000 Regal LSE with a dash rattle. I have not fixed as of yet , but have found that the Black plastic above the speedometer viborates as you drive down the road. It sounds like a metal clip rattling above the black plastic . Dealer has said they will take care of it when I have it serviced the next time
    Well remember a few days ago I said I was taking my car in for dent repair, and I was expecting to get an Intrepid. Well, instead they gave me a new Cadillac Deville! I couldn't believe it. Let me just say that the Northstar engine is incredible. You have to drive it to believe it. It's a really nice car. I think the Regal is sort of a baby version of the STS/DTS. They have a lot in common: great looks, lots of power, and a good deal.
    woops forgot a question mark in that last post...
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    It just arrived, after 21K miles on my '99 LS - the dreaded dash rattle. It seems to be just left of center and it happens everytime I hit a bump and disappears on smooth roads. The car is going to the dealer next week.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The Impala's dashboard doesn't rattle not even a bit. Probably that MagBeam support really seems to help the dashboard assembly stay put even under strong vibration. However, the Glove box lid assembly is a source of rattles and some sporadic squeaks. I don;t know about the Regal, but the Impala's glove box latch assembly is very cheap and cheesy. The lid is huge and heavy and the latch is small and made of flimsy plastic. When you close the lid, it doesn't shut all the way creating a pesky rattle. In order to make up for the latch deficiency, the best, cheapest and most effective solution I came up with was to put some metal washers on the strike plate (metal tongue were the latch hooks when u close the lid)screws and wiggled the strike plate adjustment level to create some additional "tension" between the latch and the strike plate. Once I did this, the glove box stopped rattling and now it even closes much tighter than ever before. I also tighten a couple of screws around the center console and Sprayed some CRC all purpose lubricant...now the interior is tight as a drum even in the most broken pavement!

As far as the Regal dashboard Rattle I would suggest for you to tighten visible screws in the dashboard assembly (Screws that hold the black plastic trim in the instrument cluster housing)and try to add some foam or spray some silicone lubricant. If you have the Regal service manual, try to get acquinted with the way the dashboard is installed. Dealers too often are very unsuccessful at fixing interior trim squeaks and rattles..they have no clue!. My cheap glove box fix took me 5 minutes to get done...it took 3 trips to the dealer to have my glove box rattle fix to no avail. Sometimes I believe the simplier problems are best fixed by oneself. Let the dealer deal with the biggies...engine, transmission, brakes.

Just my $1.00
    Thanks for the info Teo, but the Regals interior panels attatch with clips and this I think, is part of the problem. Buick designed the interior without screws for appearance but clips simply do not hold things in place as well. I would much rather they had used some screws and covered them than use all clips. I owned a 87 Mustang 5.0 for 6 years and there were no rattles when I sold it. The same with the 96 Ranger we currently own, no rattles and this is a 4x4 with a very stiff suspension. Over all I like my Regal a lot I just wish GM wouldn't skimp so much on the way their interiors go together.
    Welcome to the club bud.

Hey at least you got 21k miles before yours
    kicked in. Mine was there at 1k.

If that's the worse thing that this car does,
    I can live with it (though I'll probably have the
    dealer attempt a fix).
    My dealer swears he knows how to fix the rattle; he's been excellent all the way up to now; I'll share any info he gives me.
    So how did you like the Deville? Those are nice cars. That Northstar is a hoot isn't it?
    Today, during an extended excursion in Manhattan traffic [>1 hour], the trans started shifting by banging into each gear. Several warning lights also lit up ["security", "air bag" and "seat belt"]. A 5 minute shutdown cured it.
    Oh man, I can't say too many times how wonderful the Deville's powertrain is. The sound of the engine is just incredible. I expected it to just groan or maybe gurgle a little, like many V8 sedans I've been in. But the northstar rumbles like a muscle car when pushed, but is dead quiet while cruising. Everything about the car is wonderful. I have one more day with it before I get the Regal back. I love my Regal a lot as you all know, but man, the Caddy is definitely a major step up and it shows in every way. WAY more expensive however, I would never pay that much for any car.
    Have you driven a northstar?
    northstar in a regal...

Dash rattle...when I took my 97.5 into the delaer for the dash rattle, they had it figured out in no time....said it was my loose change in the ashtray....
    ...*everything* about the DeVille???

I haven't driven one or been in one, so
    I believe you on all counts, except....

The outside is butt ugly!!!!

There; I said it. Sorry to those that paid $50K,
    you must be alot smarter than me if you have
    $50K to spend on a car, but YUCK!

I'll take the lines of a Regal, Intrigue, BMW,
    Mercedes or just about any Pininfarina designed car any day to the lines of the
    DeVille.

But Hey, that's what makes the world go
    round.

Completely subjective.

my 2¢
    Yikes on that transmission thing.

When you go to the dealer for the dash rattle,
    can they plug into the cars computer and
    with diagnostics, confirm that has happened?

If so, can they isolate the computer/chip that
    is "freaking out" that is controlling the tranny and replace that chip or module?

Keep us posted.
    "....loose change in the ashtray...."

Talk about dry humor.
    It's not the loose change [I had rattles from that, too]. It sounds like a wire [or something]behind the dash has come loose to the right of the steering column.
    No way I would pay 50k for a car. The styling kind of grew on me actually. Not nearly as nice looking as the Regal however. Just a different kind of look.
  • barneyeabarneyea Member Posts: 20
    Just made a 3000 mile round trip from Texas to California. Arizona and New Mexico have 75 mph speed limits and my '98 GS averaged 26.7 for the entire trip. I have only had the car for about two months and the previous owner used regular unleaded.... I tried all grades of gas and could see no difference. That supercharged 3800 engine loved the mountains and flat straight roads. The faster I drove, the better the engine liked it...
    saw 95+ several times, smooth as glass. I purchased this car as a test to see if I wanted to spring for a new one. I think I will wait until next fall and do just that.
    I've driven a previous generation Deville and my father has an Aurora which has the "baby Northstar" so I have driven one. They both sound great. One thing I love to do in my father's Aurora is rev that baby up. I love to find long uphill freeway entrance ramp when there is little traffic and just let her go. The new Northstar based DOHC V6 which is in the Intrigue is also a very nice engine. I love the styling of the new Devilles, especially the DTS. If I had 50K to spend on a car, I'd drop it for the DTS in a heartbeat. But I'll probably just have to wait a few years and pick one up used. Let the first guy pay for the depreciation:)
    There were two items that I tried to correct under warranty and then determine whether to buy out the lease or not. Well, the first issue was the non-working passenger rear window which was stuck in the up position for half a year and the dash rattle. They backordered the motor for the window and wrote the "loose change" up on the service order. Needless to say, they helped me to decide what to do with the vehicle. Had three months remaining on lease. Drove out of the dealership and into a GMC dealer and leased a '00 Denali. I got a call a couple of weeks later from the service writer who notified me that the window motor was in. All I had to say was that I no longer had possession of the car. GMAC was pretty good about the early termination. The deal on the Denali helped as I was only responsible for one payment out of the three since I was leasing the new GM vehicle.
    peufan - Is it GMAC policy to let remaining lease payments slide if you are turning the old car and leasing another GM vehicle?
    That post was from obyone, but I've read
    a similar case in the Intrigue forum where
    the person was let out of a GM lease when
    they leased another new GM vehicle.
    Yeah, I remember that extensive post about
    the change/dash rattle back when, when
    you posted it.

I also remember rolling my eyes, as I had
    experiences like that with the dealer when
    I had an Intrigue.

When you posted the short quip this week,
    I just laughed.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    appeared recently at around 17,000 miles on my 99 GS. It's that same one above the speedometer that others have complained about. It of course behaved itself and went away temporarily when the car went in for service. I'd like to try to fix it myself. Does anyone know exactly how to remove the clips and take that part of the dashboard apart?