Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Believe thay are std on the my 01 GS. Don't know about the LS.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Tower braces standard on my '99 LS, too.
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    Hello folks. I have been watching this message board for several weeks, mostly to determine what Regal owners are saying about the car. I found very few complaints, only a few minor ones.

I just completed a buy back with GM on my 2000 Impala. I had a major safety problem with it hesitating/ stumbling on acceleration. The car had been in the shop five times for the problem. No one was able to fix it. GM repurchased the vehicle and was more than fair with the buy back.

I hope the lack of activity on this message board indicates that the Regal is a great car with very few problems. I just purchased a 2001 LS California Regal. It just turned over 200 miles.

Today I went to the dealer to purchase contoured mud guards/ flaps. These are common items that can usually be ordered without a problem. The parts man looked it up and also called a phone number. He said that GM does not make mudguards. I asked him if they made them for the 2000 model. He said no. When I picked up the car a few days ago, I asked a different parts person about the mudguards. He told me that he could order them but would have to see if they were the same as the 2000 model. Someone does not know what he or she is talking about.

Has anyone purchased mudguards for their car? If you have, is it possible to supply me with a part number?

Thanks

Ron
  • lkohnlkohn Member Posts: 13
    A rock decided to hurl itself against my windshield the other day on the freeway which caused my windshield to crack. I had the windshield replaced today and the guy replacing it was very impressed by the build quality of the car. He said he could tell that the car was not made cheaply and wanted to know again what kind of car it is. When I replied 'a Buick', his eyes widened. Then when I said, 'it has a supercharged 3.8L engine too', his eyes got even wider. He couldn't believe it so I popped the hood and showed him. He shook his head and said, "I gotta check one of these out."

scotsman - On the GM Goodwrench website, they have 'flat splash guards' for Regals in the GM Accessories store. They show a couple of different styles, but some part numbers are; 12497420, 12497406, 12497418, 1249418, 12497400. I have my eye on the Trunk Organizer.
    The 01 GS with only 1800 miles on it, just developed a new potential problem. On a random basis, when I start the car up, it sounds like it is backfiring?

Anyone has this problem? What do you think? I will have to schedule a trip to the dealer.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    If the rough start is preceded by you starting the engine and say simply backing it out of the garage and shutting it down and waiting many hours to re start this is a common problem with many models. The computer needs to reset by driving a short distance. Starting and shutting down before car has been driven seems to screw up the computer controls.
    That's probably what it is----doesn't happen all the time. Makes sense...
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    While driving to the office this morning the low tire light came on and sure enough the right rear passenger was at 25psi. Filled with air not suspecting any issues and resetting the low tire system, the light came on again on the way home 22psi was the reading.
    Cause: A nail the tire, helped me save a flat OR running a few days riding on an underinflated tire.
    Never thought much of this light but it came in handy!
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    For future reference, how do you reset the Low Tire Alarm? I couldn't find any mention of this in the manual.

On a separate issue, I've driven 5,500 care-free miles on my GS. My only two complaints (or should I say issues) are... the OEM Goodyear LS tires. They are quiet and give a good ride on the highway. But with just a small bit of spirited driving down canyon roads, the grip could be better.

My other issue is MPG. Granted that I drive with the a/c on 80% of the time (here in L.A.), but I also do a fair amount of highway driving. Getting 20-21 mpg combined city/hwy,...I expected better. With all city driving, 17-18 MPG with the a/c on is typical. Straight freeway driving from Palm Springs to Ventura (225+ miles) I do fine at 28+ mpg at 70mph. But that combined 20-21 MPG number baffles me.
    I've got 1880 miles on the GS and have been getting 18 to 19.5 mpg in town. Haven't really taken it on any long trips.

With the gas prices shooting up so, better mileage would be a good thing. Oh, well with all that power available, a few extra cents won't hurt---at least for today:-)
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Bushwack,

Turn the key to the "run" position.
    Remove the panel on the pass. side to reveal the fuse box.
    Hold in the red "Reset" button for about 5 seconds.

Seems like you should be doing a little better on MPG. I get 25-26 in mixed driving, and I don't have a light foot. The obvious things to check are tire pressure, spark plug gaps, air filter, and foot weight.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Your mpg looks good both in city and with long highway trips. So the car must be fine.

Your concerns are with fuel consumption in "mixed" traffic. To the best of my understanding, the mix includes Los Angelos highways.

Big city highways, with heavy traffic, frequent exits, complicated junctions etc., require a lot of braking and acceleration. In this respect they are not much better than city streets concerning fuel consumption.

With my lead foot, I usually can see how the fuel gauge drops after merging on highway. Not only with the powerful 2000 GS, but with modest 98 Malibu, and even with 88 Taurus... When merging once for 20-mile trip, or every 50 miles or so for longer trips, this is not important. Thogh, with merging every 2-3-5 miles this is another story.

Had a 200 mile round trip from New Haven, CT to Brooklyn, NY this Monday. Regal was at dealership, and we took the Malibu for the spin. All but about 15 miles was by highways, and the traffic was heavy only the NY City itself, with very heavy only on parts of one leg. Still burned a bit more than 10 gallons of gas. Less than 20 mpg.

On the other hand, with a trip to the Southern border of Vermont it was 34 mpg with the same car and the same driver. Even while the traffic was heavy when crossing cities, it was nothing like New York.
    While on the subject...has anyone changed the OEM Eagle LS tires yet?

What did you put on....

At this rate I will be lucky and happy to get 25-30,000 out of em...
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I put BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on mine and I like them a lot.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about the Regal, there is no longer a need for the "3" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original "Buick Regal" discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Can somebody help answer this question please...

I want to replace my 98 Regal GS 225/60/16 with 16" rims from a 2000 Grand Am GT.

They are p225/50/16 Goodyear Eagle RS.

Will this work?
  • brnhstr2brnhstr2 Member Posts: 4
    I want a new SUV but right now my father is willing to help me purchase a 2001 GS for $16,980, and I would like this car but I want to get a new SUV soon early in 2002, but I need a car to replace my 1993 Buick Regal now! Does everyone recommend the S/C GS model and is it fast? Does it require PREMIUM 93 gasoline? Please, I need some assistance in my decision.
    Thanks!
  • alanwagenalanwagen Member Posts: 28
    The p225/50/16 tires are smaller in diameter and will cause your speedometer read faster than you really are. Also your ride may be stiffer.
    Click and Clack advise against changing tire size and there also may be other problems. ABS calibration etc.
    Alan
    GS S/C
    Yes you need premium. But it is fast.
    It will blow the doors off of most if not all the
    midsize imports. But since most people don't go to the drag strip. What is the point?
    What SUV are you considering???
    Ford's new explorer aint that great and GM's new Trail Blazer/Envoy is off the road for the time being......the only SUV that catches my eye is Acura's, Toyota's new one and the Escalade...

I did the GS because (now with family) I wanted a 4 door car with zip to replace my 94 GTP 2-door, the GS has ample room for lots of things and the trunk is very spacious.... besides everyone and their mother has an SUV......

BTW..Its fun to hear my daughter (2 1/2) now say wheeeee when I step on it and the sunroof is open.....
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    2001 GS for $16,980? I'll take two.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    "I want a new SUV but right now MY FATHER is willing to help me purchase a 2001 GS for $16,980, and I would like this car but I want to get a new SUV soon early in 2002..."

Daddy seems to be plunking the $$$ difference for the new Regal GS...
    Why would he want to do that? Can't convince him to put the same down on a Denali?
    Denali and boy was it a change. Not sure if its better or worse just $13k more.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    With gas prices the way the are now I would seriously reconsider a vehicle that will do well to do 20 mpg on the highway. Unless you just need the space and/or towing capacity. As for fast, the GS will do 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds and the 1/4 in about 15 flat. Not Corvette or Z28 territory, but certainly fast for a midsize sedan.
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    I'm in negotiations now on a Regal GS, sterling silver, with the chrome wheels, sunroof, and GS Prestige Pkg. I already told dealership I am considering the Maxima SE as well. MSRP is $28,910. What is a good deal on this car. I can get a loaded Maxima SE, 5 sp for about $25,500. Can I do better than this on a Regal GS living in the South? I think the Regal is faster 0-60 and safer on the road overall. What's the deal about leather seats drying out? Should I be concerned? Any comments would be helpful? Thanks
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    A GS is comparably as fast as a 5 speed Maxima. It will leave an automatic Max in the dust however.

Regarding how much Max SE's go for: They are typically loaded to the Max (pun intended) and usually MSRP around 30K US. So the GS is cheaper and has better incentives. Unfortunately, the GS is not holding its values as well as it used to (I am hoping to buy my Regal at the end of its lease next year for lease than the residual price, here's hoping GMAC will do it).

Also, while the Regal is very reliable and well built, the Maxima has usually been ranked by Consumer Reports as the most reliable car in its class.

Anyway, would guess that that a GS could be bought for about 4K less (maybe even better) than a comparable Maxima.
    I have a 2000 Impala Midnight blue. and also a 2001 Buick Regal LS Dark Blue Pearl. Both the some color just a different artsy name. Both made in the same factory.
    I like both of them but for different reasons. I like the look of the Impala but I like the buckets and steering of the Regal. No problems so far either way.
    Right now Buick has 0% financing up to 4 years.
    I could not turn it down and did not have to have any down payment or trade in.
    No incentive to pay this one off early.
    Wow.
    $25.5K for the GS is a fair price. I doubt you'll get it for less. Unless....you make the deal on the last day of the month at the last hour of the business day. But to save an additional $200..it just ain't worth it.

Realize that the salesman has to put food on his table, too! $25.5 - $25,750 should be easy enough to ink.
  • digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    When the gas gauge gets near E on my '99 LS, I fill it up and log the mileage. I am normally putting in only 11-13 gallons, yet the car is supposed to have a 17.5 gal tank. Last week I ran it down farther than I usually dare to and the low gas light came on. Even then I could only add 14 gallons. I guess I'll never run out of gas in this car. Does this seem pretty normal to you other Regal owners?
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I know the Maxima is a nice sports sedan, but I have no regrets buying a 2000 Regal GSE. I like having an uncommon car that is a sleeper in comfort and performance. Does Buick have any rebates or special financing going on? They had a $2,000 rebate when I bought mine last fall. I got lucky and only paid $24,000 for a loaded GSE. It even has the heated seats, but no GPS system.
    The leather seats could be better quality. I need to treat mine with some cleaner and conditioner. I know you guys talked about this before, but what is the best product to use on the leather?
    Hope this helps in your buying decision.
    The empty tank light came when about 4 gallons are left, a bit more or less depending on road incline. This is common to all modern GM cars, and probably not only GM ones.

I had read the cars need about 2 gallons of gas to operate right: the electronics does not like interruptions in gas flow, and a pump is cooled by gas. Do not have first-hand knowledge, but this sounds reasonable.

In this case the real gas reserve is only 2 gallons when the light came. Not so much given possibility to get stuck in a 2-hour jam. Very common around NY City, and generally in CT, MA and other densely populated places.

Also, what about 30-50 miles distance between exits in a bit less densely populated places? Like I-90, both in the Western MA and through the upper NY state...
    Thinking about getting one for my 99 Olds Silhouette Van and the 01 GS. I got a qoute for the OLDS Van of $767 for 24/24 and $1037 for 36/36. Any comment?

Who have you used for these extended warranties? Have you been satisfied? Any suggestions with contact numbers would be appreciated.
    are discussed under "Finance, Warranty & Insurance" at Edmunds. There are several boards here, named like "Extended Warranty...Should I or shouldn't I buy", etc.
    Buick is offering 0% financing for 48 months on the Regal? This is news. Any idea what the 60 month rate is? I have a leased 98 Intrigue that will be GM's in less than 3 months now and I plan to buy this time. These low interest rates are attractive. I've been considering another Intrigue, but could be very happy with a Regal GS is the price and finance rate are right.
    1.9% for 60 months. You may check the current incentives here:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/buick/regal/gs4drsedan38l6cylsc4a/prices.html#incentives

Looks like the incentives are valid till October. Last October (one month only) the 5 year, 0% subsidized GMAC financing for Regal GS was available with $1,000 down. I remember this very well, because we bought our car exactly in October and still are using the incentive. No sense to pay-off early :-).

• brnhstr2brnhstr2 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinkin bout getting a GS 2001 and keeping it for a year or so then trading it for a 2002 4Runner or other SUV. I do a lot of mountain biking here in NC, and I really want something to keep my bike and etc. in and something with room. I have had a 91' 4-door Blazer and a 95 Z28 and now my dad's older Buick and I know they are great cars for the price, but I can'ty see myself driving one unless it's my friend's Grand National GNX 87 model. God I wish they made a truck like the Typhoon again! Anyway, I think I can handel a new car of any sort now, but am afraid of ahving to buy 93 gas to fuel my way to class everyday at UNC here and back 25 miles to home adn then work 5 days a week. I think with having to buy the 93, that I would probably be spending bout the same as if I had an SUV, no supercharger. That's the thing with the SC's; you have to run 93 jsut to keep it under control and running right. I may trade it for a 260HP Maxima next year unless I really want ym 4Runner. My younger brother has one he pulls his trailer with his motorcycle, jet ski, and goes off-roading often and has had no problems since he purchased it in fall of 97. I hope I can get soemthing soon: I don't want to wait til I graduate from college in 2002 to get a new ride.
    Just buy yourself a used pick-up for the next year or two to haul your bike until you've decided which car tickles your tulips.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    They do make a truck like the Typhoon, have you checked out the SVT Lighting? I know its not an SUV body but man are those things fast. I to like to mountain bike and it is a little more of a pain but there is plenty of room for a bike in the trunk, and you can always get a roof rack.
    Good reply! Totaly agree, especially since I had kids in College----ONCE....
    Found some useful Ext. Warranty info on the Edmund's site....
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Yes, you should run the highest octane you can to get the most performance from a GS, especially when the temps are up. You would also need to run the highest octane to get the most performance out of a Maxima, 4runner, or any other vehicle that has a knock sensor. If you're worried about the price of gas, maybe you shouldn't be considering a high-perf. vehicle. You definitely shouldn't think about an SUV if you're concerned about gas prices, unless it's a 4-cyl. Xterra or something like that.
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    I dont see the need for 93 octane fuel.Our 98 GS Regal runs fine on 91 octane.I live in a rural area and would have to drive 60-100 miles to find 93 octane.Some places around here now only carry 87 and 89 octane.
    According to manual, 91 octane is fine for GS.

Though, never saw the gas on our places - Southern-Central CT. At least since bought the car last October. Only 93. Have faint feelings that 92 is available somewhere - is it at Texaco(?) - but not sure at all.

94 is definitely available at Sunoko, but is extra expensive.
  • aguyindenveraguyindenver Member Posts: 10
    During my move from Ohio to Colorado about 5 years ago, I noticed a distinct lowering of octane values enroute. In Ohio, as I recall, octane levels were typically about 87(regular)/92 or 93(premium). In the Denver area it seems like 85/91 is more typical. I would hypothesize that altitude accounts for the difference - the higher the altitude, the lower the octane requirement. It stands to reason that at higher altitude - which corresponds to lower pressure and thus lower intake charge density - the tendency for detonation would be less. Thus, for a given compression ratio, given boost, etc., the higher up you go, the lower octane level required.

It may be that the different octane levels found regionally are designed to account for altitude (and possibly humidity conditions as well), in which case the "premium" gas would always be adequate.

Any thoughts? Can anyone confirm all this?
  • hb396hb396 Member Posts: 15
    A mechanic advised me to keep at least a quarter tank of gas in the tank at all times. The fuel pump is located inside of the gas tank and relies on gasoline to prevent overheating. If the fuel pump has to be replaced, the tank has to be dropped and that will cost you $$$. Spend the few extra dollars and put the odds in your favor.
  • inbjce1inbjce1 Member Posts: 1
    Just brought a 01 LS with 1SE prestige and heated seats home today. LOVE that Buick ride (traded a Chevy S-10). Got a fair price, great dealer experience (Sid Dillon - Fremont, NE) and I am overall happy with the deal and the car, but noticed a 1/4" gap between the center console base and lid (viewed from the back seats). Has anyone else noticed this? I know it is very minor, but curious anyhow.

By the way, a big thanks to all of you for your posts over the last several months, they helped make my descision easy. I will keep you posted on my ownership experience. John
    Forget the 4Runner, if you want a hot SUV look at the new 2002 GMC Envoy, Chevy Trailblazer, or Oldsmobile Bravada. They have a wonderful 270 horsepower inline 6 thats runs on regular and is supposed to get decent mileage for an SUV. I'm not a big SUV fan, but I have to admit that I do like these alot judging from what I've seen.
    Well, those low finance rates are very attractive. I could swing a Regal GS for 60 months at 1.9% and since I have a 98 Olds, I've got $1000 in GM loyalty money. What kind of price are you guys getting your new Regals at? I know Intrigues are going at 1-2% over invoice.
  • sugar300msugar300m Member Posts: 61
    Got a '91 Regal I want to keep on the road. My Sears mechanic told me I should replace the springs & bushings before I get new Struts. Took it to the dealer to have this & some electrical work done & the service guy says the car does not have seperate springs on it & the only springs it has come with the bushing assembly? Doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone shed some light on this?