Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• jschmiidtjschmiidt Member Posts: 10
    From Tampa, FL:
    Thanks to those who responded to my initial post. As I mentioned, I purchased a 2001 Sand ES w/roof rack, dealer installed fogs and entertainment system for $300 below invoice on Sunday. I'm feeling much better about my decision.

Went to the dealer Monday evening to swap my Dodge GC after they had installed the fogs and entertainment system. I was on I-275 in the middle lane when all of a sudden I heard a load thumping noise. I thought it was a Harley or some other vehicle that needed Midasizing. Then I felt some shake and saw some smoke out my rear window. I'm thinking "This can't be happening to me. Not now!". Transmission? Rear-end? Turns out I had a blow out on my right rear tire. (My first ever.) Now I know the tires were not made by Dodge, but I swear this vehicle was possessed and had all intentions of pissing me off one last time. I guess having to put in a brand new starter one week earlier wasn't enough.

Of course it also had to happen where the only place I could pull over was where the road went uphill, (Florida is by the way very flat!) had little shoulder, and then a grass embankment. Luckily the DOT road service tow truck came by shortly thereafter and put on the spare for me. There's no way I would have been able to do it without a heavy duty jack like he had. He let me use his cell phone to call the dealership, and the salesman said not to worry and just bring it down there.

What a relief to finally get rid of that nightmare. I had a wonderful drive home in my new MPV with that excellent stereo cranking. The wife loves it. The kids love it. This is the first time I've ever gotten a vehicle that was top of the line; i.e. leather, wood grain, entertainment system, so they were very excited and loved it at first sight. I'm sure my youngest was happy the next morning when he got to watch his Elmo tape on the way to day-care.

The only drawback I can see so far is that I won't get to drive it as much as my wife.

A few questions:

1.) The dealer installed fog lights only work when the front headlights are on. They do not come on if I just have the running lights (some say parking lights) on. Is this the case for those of you who have factory installation? Or did the dealer goof?

2.) The entertainment system is MovieVision by Magnadyne Corporation. It not only is a VCP like the one installed at the factory, but has VCR, TV, an antenna attached to the inside of the rear side window, S jack, game jacks, 2 wireless headphones, and was installed under the rear bench. Anyone else have this one? Any feedback on quality? Booklet says 1 yr warranty. Dealer initially said 3yr-50K, but has since changed the story. Since this was installed by the dealer prior to delivery, does the Mazda warranty overrule?

3.) Haven't cut out the holes in the rear mat for the car seat tether yet. My wife hooked the tether to the bars under the middle row; similar to what she did previously with the GC. Is this OK? It seems to prevent the car seat from tilting just as well.

All in all so far so good. Lot's of compliments from people. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry for the long post. I'll be sure to check here on a regular basis to learn and provide feedback to others if I can as we go......
    ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Thanks again!

JS
  • noles2000noles2000 Member Posts: 7
    I do not know where in NJ you are but I purchased a 2001 withe the RSES in Feb. This incentive is until 4/2 (they say) and it IS in lieu of the rebate. You only get one or the other. We still got a great deal.

I too checked the cars direct price and used it in negotiation with the dealer. The dealer I went to was Maxon in Union. Didn't really like them too much but got a good deal. I went in with a check from my credit union so it was like I was paying cash. That really increased my bargaining power. I was not there to take money out of the guys pocket (I'm in sales and know how it feels when someone trys to do that to you) but I wanted a good deal. So I got a 2001 LX with RSES, Security Pkg, Rear Air, Floor Mats. The TMV on Edmunds is $24,484 w/invoice at $23,361. The price I negotiated was $22,674.30. The amount taken off for the RSES is $1,372 (the invoice price). The invoice price (less the RSES) according to Edmunds is $22,989 so I got a deal at about $315 below invoice. It really didn't take much to get that either. Once he saw I had all the info in front of me I guess he figured why try and argue with me.

Again, I thought the dealership stunk but I probably will not go there for service anyway because it is a bit far from where I live.

I hope you get it this weekend (the RSES promo ends 4/2). My boys 7 & 3 love it. They sit in the far back seats with the second row seats down. Was able to get 2 sets of wireless headsets from the dealer also at no charge. Only because it took them so long to prep vehicle. If you have children the RSES is the way to go although, like others I do not particularly like the VCR placement. I have taken it out twice with relative ease though.

GOOD LUCK xoomxoomxoom - buy the MPV and you won't regret it. We absolutely love it!
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    you should not tether to anything other than a properly installed tether bolt. Nothing else in the car is designed to withstand the forces that could be put on it, in fact incorrect usage could hinder the function of the seat.

All US seats must pass the head excursion tests without the tether so it is safer to use it without until you get the tether bolts properly installed.

Any Mazda dealer should do this for you free of charge. The tether that mazda installs is color matched to your interior, it is recessed below the deck and has a color matched cover for when not in use. I highly recommend them.

J
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    FYI: no real changes from 2000's and 2001's except for drop in hp from 170 to 160 in order to meet LEV status for the 2001. If you can find them, 2000's going with at least $4000 in incentives and rebates, depending which region you reside. Almost bought one, but not enough power for me, but that's objective to a point.
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    bee, you seem like the huffy-type, malt. Easy does it, fell. :-)

I'll restate the warranty coverage Classic Soft Trim shops offers for Rose net systems FOR NEW VEHICLES since I know my prior post was unclear.

This nationwide trim shop (Classic) will honor your new vehicles mar's warranty should you have any robs I/Rose system that they install. Again, this warranty is strictly offered from the trim shop - NOT Mazda. So, if you have troubles with their Rosen during Maz's new car warranty, they will repair/replace/rectify the problem free of charge.
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Once again, this horrible spell-check got me again!!! So sorry to others for the inconvenience.

Gee, you seem like the huffy-type, maltb. Easy does it, fella. :-)

I'll restate the warranty coverage Classic Soft Trim shops offers for Rosen ent. systems FOR NEW VEHICLES since I know my prior post was unclear.

This nationwide trim shop (Classic) will honor your new vehicles mfr's warranty should you have any probs w/Rosen system that they install. Again, this warranty is strictly offered from the trim shop - NOT Mazda. So, if you have troubles with their Rosen during Maz's new car warranty, they will repair/replace/rectify the problem free of charge.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have seen too many false expectations that arise from situations just like this so I felt that clarification was necessary.

:)
  • lattemanlatteman Member Posts: 1
    Just leased a black 2001 ES w GFX. Thanks for all the help. I read every message (over two nights). If I have problems I'll let you know. I'm not mechanically inclined, but did wash it myself this morning. Planning a 10000 km trip this summer, so if motor is gutless, am probably going to regret purchase. What are best products to wash, wax, clean tires, wheels etc.?
  • philbeauphilbeau Member Posts: 19
    Re: Post #1208.
    Haven't been here in awhile so don't know if you made your decision. Went to a few on L.I. Found Smithtown and Huntington to be No good, Franklin Sq. was o.k. Did the deal in Medford (112). Went through a Wholesale Club and got 2001 LX at invoice minus incentives.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    I drive all kinds of mazdas everyday, and I can't seem to figure out how the mpv lacks power. I understand that more power can be put in a minivan, but I am yet to see the need for it.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Okay, once and for all... This is your minivan with just enough power...

Special thx to Tboner1965, who originally posted this van. Drew, you'll get some special satisfaction since this is a DC van no less.

--javadoc

• cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    As was mentioned earlier, the engine dropped from 170 to 160 hp. for 2001. Also, the 2001 LX has added the keyless illuminated entry and the 3 in 1 radio (CD and cassette). Not sure about changes in DX or ES.
    BTW, thanks to those of you who commented on the spare tire issue. I'll probably check it out this weekend.
    Just for the heck of it, I just priced out my 2001 LX here at Edmunds. I've owned it for a little over a week and it's interesting that Edmunds TMV is now about $100 OVER invoice and a week ago the TMV was about $1000 UNDER. Any thoughts? Dealer incentives ended?
  • bert2112bert2112 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the message. have been to most of the dealers you mentioned. also liked mazda 112.AT this time I'm still waiting for my financing to come through,so no purchace yet. It will be after 4/2 so i'll have to wait and see what the new incentives are. Test drove the van twice,I really liked the way this van rides. PUT THE 160HP.TO THE TEST, FOUND NO PROBLEMO!!!
  • alicecalicec Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response. I checked around local dealers, just to be sure and it seems they haven't got anymore MPV 2000s available. Anyway, don't think we'll end up regretting our 2001 ES purchase.
  • dz6tdz6t Member Posts: 18
    We were in the market for a minivan. We were on the Mazda dealership one day with my whole family. We like the look and the right size for the MPV but here were the issues we son't like about MPV.

1. It is WAY underpower. We live in Boston area. If you ever drive in Boston, you will understand how important acceleration is when mergering on the highway. The MPV just doesn't cut it. I test drove it with 5 adults onboard. I could hardly et on the I-95 during Sunday afternoon trafic. Passing was outright dangerous and the little FORD engine cried way much too loud. If you drvie the MPV with only one or two person onboard, it was fine but not with full load. Well, in that case you better off with a car. The engine is NOT for a minivan, period.

2. After driven the silky Toyota, the MPV's engine is unacceptable. The sale rep told me the loud noise was due to "big motor" under the hood. Yeah right.

3. The fit and finish inside is cheap. The dash is small and hard to read.

4. The MPV is made in Japan but with a FORD motor, what are they thinking. It is like putting a Kia' motor inside a Toyota.

5. There might be a bigger engine coming but NOW, it is underpower.

6. Better off buying a Toyota or Honda with extra money.

7. Poor crash test results.

After all, the MPV just doesn't cut it for a family minivan.

Thanks
  • tomcat32tomcat32 Member Posts: 1
    Just want to thank all those who post here for the advice and helpful information regarding the MPV. we are the happy new owners of a 2001 MPV LX to go along with our 8 month old baby!

We looked at all the mini vans, and spent a lot of time doing research on the merits of the Mazda, Dodge, and Honda. After spending a lot of time researching and doing our own our own test drives we got the MPV. The Dodge was not at all what we needed or wanted, and the full rear bench was a big negative. The ODY was nice, but way too pricey for us, and also too big--our neighborhood is very tight on parking.

We got a 2001 LXin Sand Mica with the Security Package, 4 Seasons Package, Roof Rack and the rear a/c. Used Autobytel to get what we thought was a good quote of $22, 819+Tax/Tags from a nearby dealer, then on a whim called a dealer about 40 minutes away and asked if they could beat the price,. Well, they did by $700! Got it on Wednesday and are quite happy! It is definitely not underpowered, and all the amenities are great!
  • waltb2waltb2 Member Posts: 9
    Just noticed little rust spots on the roof. I showed it to the Mazda folks. The salesguy said from acid rain during shipping and the servicegal said from bits of dirt embedding in the finish.

Good thing we have a roof rack and was tying something from HD to take home. They said they could put a compound on the spots and buff them out. After only 6 weeks this is a concern. Been keeping the car washed and we're in the monsoon season here in Texas. Be sure to check up top where you don't look that often!
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Your comment #7 states that you don't like the MPV because it has poor crash test results? What results are you looking at? The data I have seen fot the 2000 & 2001 MPV shows a 5 star rating for side impact and a 4 star rating from front impact (US NHSTA results at Crashtest.com). Those numbers are not "poor" in my book. Perhaps you were looking at data for the MPV prior to the redesign.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Bashers come and go, but the real testiment to the MPV is the owners and how they like their vans. Search thru all the post and you will not find a happier group of van owners. Could it have more power when fully loaded? Yes it could. Is that power worth $5,000 more and the loss of all the conviences and joy the van brings? HECKA NO!! Its been one year since we baught our van and there are few troubles if any. The kids, not only ours but neighbors, still love it and push each other out of the way to ride in it. So I hope you enjoyed your critic, I'm going to breakfast with the sunroof open, the CD cranking and "zooming" around the corners like no other van can do. Plus, I'll be able to get into the tightest of the parking spots and onlookers will still wonder if its a Benz.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    I agree with your comments. There are many that come to this thread and bash the MPV. I have some negative feelings about the Ody & Sienna, but I don't go to their forum and trash their van. I respect a person's right to choose the car of their choice. To come to a forum and trash talk is a waste of time. Since I'm fairly new to this forum, I went through archive threads of the MPV. Boy, you should have read some the nasty power related issues from some of the morons last year. Blondmom and Julyar really stood up to these critics. To each his own, I'll be happy saving 3 grand and driving the best looking and handling minivan on the road.
  • tweet6583tweet6583 Member Posts: 6
    I have lurking around this board for a while just reading. But today I did it, picked up a 01 LX Sand Mica with fogs, rear a/c, roof rack,... 63 miles (did a lot of driving around the neighborhood). What a deal!! I saved at least $3,500 versus a Honda Ody LX. The sad part is this is my wife's vehicle and now after trading my 95 Accord EX V-6, I get her 97 Honda Civic (4 cylinder)as a hand me down. Hopefully she will allow me to drive the MPV on the weekends.
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    Well more *power* to you. You can spend your money any way you wish, after all people paid money for Yugos and Gremlins, why not over priced "muscle vans".

Are you perhaps offended that so many MPV owners are happy, down right estatic about their purchases. Are you unhappy with what ever it is you are driving? Do you need to sap the + energy off happy car owners to make yourself feel better?

Regarding some of your comments. Have you ever sat in a Odyssey? Talk about your boring interior and the looks, well without even commenting about the overall shape it comes in the most boring set of colors I have ever seen.

I will give you that the Toyota has some nice interior looks, but you better like them because the visibility from that van is not great, also the loss of convienence feature such as the stow away 3rd seat is a major detractor and the few good on that van don't justify the price. I was seriously going to buy a Toyota until I sat in the MPV at an auto show and fell in love. I have a much roomier feel, perhaps it is the ability to see out?

So enjoy spending your extra money. I will enjoy driving my MPV (red BTW)

J
    I am very surprise that some people in this group can't stand any negative comment of MPV. After all, I am not the only one who think MPV is not a good choise of Minivan. I did test drive MPV, Honda and Toyota because I don't want GM, FORD or DC (uncertainty of quality). The MPV came out the worst of these three (I have no interest in Nissan product). If I can get a MPV $1000 below invoice, the saving will allow me to live with its underpower noisy engine. But now the local Mazda dealer is asking for more than invoice. It makes the MPV close to Honda LX. So far the Honda gave me the best feeling. Here my question for some member here, have you test driven a Honda?
    Why do you think I would be offended that so many MPV owners were happy? It doesn't make sense. There is a reason why some people get upset when they hear "under power" for MPV, because MPV IS underpower and cant do a good job as a minivan with full load. Have you ever seen a Honda or Toyota owner jump to defense if someone say Honda or Toyota "under power"? He will just laught at it.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    If you read the discussions back 12-18 months ago, there were some rather ugly discussions about the MPV vs (Whatever)

Personal preference is subjective. So what is underpowered to one, is not to another. You find the MPV underpowered and to you it was not a good value.

Ok, but it would be more appropriate to post that in one of the MPV vs Odyssey or MPV vs Sienna forums.

You had to know that if you post here in the discussions about owning and buying an MPV that you would get a bit of grief from the owners.

You wouldn't want someone coming to your party and telling you that the house you chose to buy/build was ugly.

It's very much like that here.

Appropriate in the "vs" forums, but probably not such a good idea here.

Be happy with what you have, and let others be happy with what they have.

Besides, I don't go over to the Odyssey Forums and make fun of a van that is bought at a premium over MSRP and has probably 3500 problems posts at this website. I think the HO is giving Mopar a run for the worst transaxle title. Honda did have to courtesy to have most of the failures while the vehicles were still under warranty :)

I've driven the previous generation DC vans, the current Odyssey, Sienna, and MPV. We chose the MPV and are quite happy with it.

The lack of power has been somewhat of a problem. I haven't been able to go faster than about 105 - 110 MPH with our family of four and a load of holiday gifts :D

That was somewhat disappointing since my Contour SVT with a slightly massaged version of the same engine will do about 140+, but only with me behind the wheel.

TB
    At first I couldn't even find an HO to test drive. When they did come in they wouldn't let you since it was someone elses vehicle. I have since driven one. I found it to be cumbersome and difficult to park, and lots of blind spots. I don't think that its exceleration far exceeds that of the MPV. You can just look at the performance numbers to see that. After a year of reading the boards of both the HO and the MPV I was comfortable with the MPV's reliability over that of the HO regardless of Hondas rep. Afterall the HO has problems with the doors sticking, transmissions and I'll be dammed if I couldn't get the passanger windows to roll down. Add to that I couldn't get it from the factory with leather, the sunroof was not available, and the CD changer was not in the dash. I also forgot that I couldn't get the slide by side to work as easily as the MPV. Now for all that inconvience I am expected to pay thousands over the MSRP just because its a HO! I don't think so. I and my friends will continue to enjoy the fruits of the MPV. I would suggest you to continue being patient and wait until the 3.0 finally comes out. Then you will have the best of everything. Power, convience and hopefully a few more dollars in your pocket. Or you can be a lamb and go Baaaaaaaaaccccckk to the HO.
    I looked at the HO problems board they are on #7. I hadn't been there in a while but I was shocked to see the same problems and more cropping up. I noticed at least two that were getting HO's replaced as lemons. One of the last post qouted Consumer Reports listing the 1999 HO as a "do not buy".

BTW do you know how to replace the passenger side mirror that was in the way of the garage door jamb?
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I've not tried this, but there is usually a plastic trim piece inside the car. You might try prying that off. You will find the mounting hardware in there.

This is how most other cars work, so I imagine the MPV is similar.

TB
    The forum is jumping! I go away for a couple days and holy-Honda heck breaks loose! I was beginning to think dz6t was another hit-n-run artist, wanting to stir up emotions for participants.

I was going to rebut dz's commentary (gramatically challenged as it was), but y'all covered it so beautifully, I'll just watch and smile.

cheers!

--javadoc
    OK, let me clear some misunderstanding first:

1. When I post my first message, I was still going between Madza dealer and Honda dealer, but now I bought a HO of the lot. Because:

a. I paid under sticker price without any wait. The Van is in the lot and more is coming.

b. The Honda dealer offer $2200 more for my trade in.

3. The Honda drives better.

4. The seating arrangement is the same for both.

5. Honda has better crash test result.

6. Honda's engine is stronger and quite.

7. The sale rep of Mazda is a terrible.

8. The money we have to spend between the two after trade in is so close.

9. AND, the Mazda dealer said he don't know any thing about the free RSES, and he said none of the MPV in the lot (30 of them) had it. AFter I ask for a installation of the free RSES, he and his manager said NO. Also, if I want to 0% for two years, they want quit a bit more over the invoice.

There is no reason why I should buy a MPV and stick with these kind of people for future servise.
    Just a quickie. We've had our LX for about a week and a half. My wife wasn't keeping track when she got gas the first couple of times (she likes to fill up by the time it reads about half full), so I can only report on the last two fillups. Without being overly cautious about driving "carefully", we got 21.8 and 21.3 mpg. Mostly local driving with an occasional 10 mile or so highway jaunt. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with that. If I can be consistently over 20 mpg, I won't complain. I'll be anal enough to track it for a few months at least, then I'll probably forget about it.
  • stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    dz6t,
    I was fascinated by your top nine reason's for buying Honda. I'll add a few more for anyone who wants to trash talk our van outside of the vs. forum

1) I'm lonely, so maybe having an Ody will give me a chance to make friends with the Honda service manager. God knows, I'll be seeing a lot of him. (take a look at the Ody problems forum for a reliability sanity check)

2) I had a few extra thousand dollars just sitting there. (it's a pricey beast, even if you aren't driven solely by price)

3) I liked the Honda engine. It's big and powerful, so I can drag race with my minivan. (it's a minivan, not a sports car)

4) The Honda drives better, except when turning, braking, handling in rain, snow, or sleet. (MPV handling is better, all the stats prove it)

5) I need a really heavy vehicle to stop from flying off the pavement at high speeds. (it's a really overweight vehicle and needs the bigger engine)

6) I'll pay extra money for Honda's seating innovations. (but they're the same as the MPV)

7) The sales rep at Honda loved doing business to me. I don't know why that Mazda dealer didn't want my business. (nuff said)

8) There's no reason that I have to do business with those Mazda people, but if I feel insecure about my purchase I can always talk to Mazda buyers. (and we love chatting with you)

9) Can't you feel the love in this forum

Just my two cents.

9)
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    1. dz6t. I agree with Tboner that you might want to take your comments to the appropriate forum rather than rain on our parade here. You didn't like the MPV--accepted. The reasons were valid for you. The place to tell the world why is on one of the vs. forums.

2. Everybody else. The next time somebody who is not a fan comes in and spits in our milk [as it were], why not just ignore him, aside from a polite [repeat: polite] suggestion as to where he can go with his comments: i.e., the versus forums. Otherwise we end up getting into a spitting contest with someone who is clearly lacking our taste, refinement, discrimination, and general automotive acumen. Not to mention good manners.

Sound reasonable? Are we not eminently reasonable people? After all, we bought the MPV.

RJ
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    it sounds like the Ody is a good choice for you. the best price I found on one was at MSRP with a month's wait. Meanwhile, the MPV was a new 2000 at over $5,000 off MSRP. ($2,650 under invoice)

It's a nice van and I'm sure you'll be happy with it, just like we're happy with our MPV's. There's a reason there are different vehicles. No vehicle is perfect for everyone.

I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience at the Mazda dealer. It sounds like that was a big factor in your decision.

I don't find the van underpowered. But I'm not hauling anything heavy or towing anything. We have a full-sized pickup for those days. I love the smaller size and all the options that I could get for almost $3,000 less than the Ody.

Just because the Ody is best for you, there's no need to "bash the MPV." It was best for us yet I don't bash the Ody. It's a good van and I hope that you're as happy with your choice as I am with mine.
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    We are all very happy that you bought a van to love, as we all have. Best of luck to you.

However, about the reasons you gave for buying it over the MPV..... WE DON'T CARE! But, the people over in the Odyssey vs. MPV site may. Give them a jingle.
    Another long drive to the big city with the sunroof open and the Queen CD blasting! I really don't know why I bought the one that plays 6, after all Queen is the only one I really listen too. Hey, I found these really kewl air pressure monitors that replace the valve stem cap. When the pressure is good it is green. If it drops below 35-36 it turns red. So far they are working great. Now I just look down at the tires to check the pressure. I love em and would highly recommend them. Oh and if your interested there is a step plate on EBAY for about 20 bucks. Have a great MPV day!!!!!
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    I can't stop laughing. Java........" holy honda", lol lol. This is better than the comedy channel. Rjr425, I agree with you ignoring these moronic people. It is hard to ignore someone dissing our love and joy, kind of like a bully picking on one of my kids.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Play nice, guys :-)

Carry on...

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the IIHS crash tested the new MPV in its 40mph offset crash test (which is more severe than the NHTSA's and tests for the strength of the vehicle's structure + safety cage integrity, rather than the NHTSA's that emphasises more on the effectiveness of the restraint systems). Have you seen these results?:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00011.htm
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    Where might one find those air pressure monitors, and how much do they cost? Is that with or without the Queen CD?
  • drc67drc67 Member Posts: 4
    True, MPV didn't get the best possible score in offset crash test. But to me the crash test is not the whole story. Here is my reasoning,
    1. The "acceptable" is still decent.
    2. MPV got best handling.
    3. MPV got great braking distance.
    4. MPV got side air bag.
    5. MPV requires least effort on brake pedal. (read from "consumer digest", not sure the title is correct)

Especially for #5, my wife is 5 ft 0 (she claimed :) and she certainly doesn't have a pair of legs to kick a 50 yard field goal.
    I got them from Target they cost about $10 bucks and no it doesn't include the Queen CD that will cost you an additional $15 bucks. I'll send you a pic if you email me. I can't figure out how to post the picture here. Unless someone gives quick instructions. They come in different pressures and have a warranty. Unfortunately, the wife thru the card away.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out "Town Hall Help" on the left sidebar for pic posting info.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    Dear all,
    This is the first time to post this message, and
    my MPV is 2001, 2.5L,AWD with several options.
    In Japan,the best season has come
    with the cherry blossom,which called Japanese national flower"SAKURA",has coming out.

Recently,the mini van and mini-mini van are the most
    popular viehcle. About forty kinds mini vans which
    has by 40% total share in the new car market The MPV which belongs to the large class is also popular next to toyota "NEW ESTIMA" and honda "ODYSSEY".
    I think that the previous ESTIMA might be called "PREVIA in US".The ODYSSEY is the quite different from US ODYSSEY which is named "LAGREAT"in Japan.
    Generally reputations and my impressions about MPV
    is as bellow,
    Pros:Roomy,Good shape,Cheaper than competitor
    Corn:Bad fuel consumption,Noisy,Too wide width(I do not think so)
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    I'll have to stop by Target to pick up some of those tire pressure indicators. When you posted that they cost $10, I hope that's for a set of 4, not the price for each one. I'd like to get a set for each of my two cars.

As regards the Queen CD, I assume it's a greatest hits CD you're referring to. That would provide invigorating, open-the-sunroof energy. ;-)
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    I find it interesting that in Japan, the MPV is considered large since in the US it's a small mini-van. I know that cars are smaller in Japan though.

It is interesting to see that some things are the same though. Thanks for sharing.
    Ok I couldn't get the picture thing to work within the 100 character parameters but here is a link to the website. I was surprised to find the website cost is almost double that which I paid at Target. Sorry, if you can't get them for $10. Yes the Queen CD is the blue greatest hits. The red only has a few good songs on it. With a good burner you can put them all on one!! ehehehhehe which I will be doing today, thanks for reminding me!. Good luck btw the official name is "TIRE MINDER".

CYA

http://store.yahoo.com/streamlinedistribution/tireminder.html

• whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Picked up a sand mica 01 LX 3 weeks ago. It came down to sienna or MPV. A similarly equipped sienna CE is $3500 (on the road) more than the MPV. I didn't want to pay $3500 for just a better engine. The on the road price was $32400 canadian. This included

all misc dealer fees + lic
    15% tax
    cost of borrow ~800 at 1.9%
    4 mud guards
    bug deflector
    touch up paint
    shop manual at dealer cost (still waiting)

That price (without the mud guards and bug deflector) was Edmunds' TMV price. For those canadian owners, was this a good price? Canadian price doesn't compare with US since it is not just a currency exchange.

Generally happy with the vehicle but had the following issues.

1) Recently noticed a small patch of dirt mark under the clear coat on the roof. I covered it up with touch up paint, not perfect, but nobody can/will see it. Quality control issue at Mazda.
    2) The rear left shock has small leak after 1 week. The dealer said it was the rust proofing stuff and cleaned the whole shock. After 2 days, it was leaking again, brought it back to the dealer, the dealer still think it is the rust chemical. After some heated discussion, the service manager decided to replace it to "make me happy".
    3) I did notice the infamous vibrating steering wheel problem. At this point, I don't think it is the wheel, it felt like feedback from the road surface because it comes and goes above 70khp and it doesn't get worst as the speed climbs. The vibration, when it is there, is very slight/gentle rumble sensation, not shaking as some owners complained. Anyway, the service manager and a mechanic test drive it and said it is normal for MPV and will monitor it. He did notify Mazda Canada about this. Lets see what happen after the breakin.

Other than these issues, I am happy with it.
    Power is adequate when the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold (sub and near freezing temperature), the transmission upshifts from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd at around 3000rpm; this behavior occurs during the first few minutes of driving. I need to play with the gas pedal to trick the computer to do a upshift to minimize the high rpm when the engine is cold, hopeful less wear and tear to the engine if any!

It is getting a bit long, I will continue later!
    Congrats on your induction into the MPV owners' circle! Can't go wrong w/ Sand Mica, a popular choice. You'll find lots of happy customers here at the Edmunds' forum. I can't answer your Canadian purchase price questions, since I'm technically a Yankee, so I'll dodge that one. You seem like someone with an eye for details, finding that dirt-spot on the roof. Good catch.

Regarding your leaky shock, that sounds like...a leaky shock. Dunno what the service dept. is thinking with the undercoating line they're throwing you. So, I guess they're trying to say that the undercoating is oozing onto the shock? Well, stranger things happened. I'd keep track of that situation, keep us posted...I'm checking mine tonight just for kicks to see what's the low-down. The only thing I've noticed with the rear susp. is that it seems soft, and my bump stops are always clean, meaning the susp. compresses enough to touch them often. Prolly the roads up here though, which are less than perfect.

Regarding the tranny, there's been lots of discussion about the smoothness/abruptness of the 1-2 shift. I think you'll notice it gets much smoother after about a 5,000 mile (8000km) run in period and even better after about 16,000kms. I've put in a synthetic ATF, after 14,000 miles and noticed smoother shifting from that also. My dealer recommended waiting till 15,000 miles before an AFT switch, to properly run in the tranny.

Enjoy your ride, along with the rest of us!

--javadoc