Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
    http://autopia-carport.com/forums/

Get on one of those boards and pose your question. Someone will have a suggestion.

They helped Rocket88 with Pine Tar removal off of his wood console.

• mariposarosadamariposarosada Member Posts: 54
    I just bought a 1995 Classic. I had to disconnect the battery, and when I reconnected it, the radio had the lock message on it. I looked through the things that came with the car, but couldn't find the code anywhere. Does anyone know what I need to do to get it in operation again?

Also. Regarding the alarm. I don't think the 95's have one. However, there's a light on the dash of mine that reads "security" when I first turn the car on. Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    You should have read a few posts back... There was some stuff about the Theft-loc. Once it says "Lock", you have to go to a dealer if you don't know the code. Given that you don't know what to do, I suspect you don't know the code...

Does the security light blink when you get out of the car? If so, it means it isn't armed. If you use the power locks (or the key fob) to lock the car, it should turn solid. This means it's armed. You can test it by turning the car off, open the door to get out, lock the car with the power locks, but don't actually get out. Close the door and wait a minute. Then unlock the car manually and open the door. The alarm should go off. To disarm it, use your key in the door (not ignition) and unlock the door.

If it doesn't blink when leaving, then I guess it doesn't work or something. I'd be surprised if they didn't put it on the Aurora, though. Especially if they bothered to have the light... I suspect you just aren't familiar with it, or perhaps they forgot to put it in the owner's manual. By 1995, even more pedestrian GM cars had it. (My friends 89 IROC, and my Mom's old 95 Bonnie had it, as did my 87 Vette. My 87 Celebrity even had it as an option).

You all really ought to try www.mygmlink.com as they have an online owner's manual and a lot of other FAQs and info. It's pretty neat.

Hey, where would I look up the tool I mentioned in the aftermarket/perf. thread? J36346. I tried gmpartsdirect.com and it didn't work. I also tried ACDelco's cross-referece, but didn't really expect that to work. Thanks for any info!
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    blk97 - you may want to try something like a good cleaner for the exterior paint. Perhaps Maguires Scratch X. Meguires told me it has some good chemical cleaners in it. It may have a little bite in it to. Just a thought.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    On the Intrigue final 500 website, it indicates "watch for our final 500 Aurora edition in the spring of 2003." I guess Aurora's death is coming a lot sooner than I thought. I thought it'd be the last to go but I guess Alero sells better?
    Does anyone know the paint code for purple pearl metallic? I found the paint code and the dealer is coming up with medium mushroom metallic. Is this the same color?
  • matrixfrogmatrixfrog Member Posts: 180
    On Zinc's site the only purple color he lists it as Purple Pearl Metallic. That prolly doesnt help much though.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    I think you mean the sound that you would get with the remote/keyless entry, like the horn sounding once when you lock the doors. As for the sound you can have the remote programmed to do a sound or not, there is a section in your manual about programming the remote to do this and other stuff. I apperently decided to go with an aftermarket alarm like Clifford for various reasons, so I don't get the sounding horn, plus that sounds cheesy and it also screams "Factory". Nothing beats like an aftermarket alarm though.
  • shucknetshucknet Member Posts: 98
    Let's clear things up here. The 1995 has no security system by default. A GM one might have been installed by the dealer, but it was not a factory option in 1995.

The 1995 Aurora is incapable of honking the horn upon door lock without the security system installed.

The security light on the dash is for the PASS key system. It turns on briefly at different times, but when on solid indicates that there may be a PASS key fault of some sort. That is the only function of the security light in the 1995 Aurora.

Hope that clears things up for everyone.
    The board has reached 3000 posts. When I joined in Oct. 2001 when I got My 2002 Aurora, the board was below 2000. What would be some memorable board quotes?
    One my Dad's quotes:
    " It is always in your best interests to keep ALL of the women in your life HAPPY"...
    our very own Edmunds, the paint color was called Purple Pearl Metallic. I take it you located the build sheet in the trunk?

3000 posts... Impressive. It doesnt' seem like that long ago I was reading through the old ones (less than 2000 thankfully) as I awaited delivery of my 2002 (also delivered in October). Now it almost has 10,000 miles on it... Still looks brand new, though, and hopefully will for many more miles.

For all of us being car nuts, I'm surprised the performance board only has like 50 posts. :) I guess the sedan board is where it's at.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Beachlover:
    Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it would be possible to wire the chirper into the switched side of the remote's receiver (wherever that is...) -- then perhaps it would only chirp upon remote activation.
    I don't know if this is possible -- I'm just guessing -- since I don't have a factory manual or wiring diagram for the Aurora. But it seems that there would have to be a 12v output from the receiver that goes to the door locks since that and the trunk release are the ONLY functions of the remote on the 1995 model.

If you have any sucess, be sure to post back and let all us poor 1995 owners know how to do it!
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    My 95 was used, so I do not know what dealer options were added o the car. The alrm may have been one of them.

It is a GM alarm and has the little red light on the dash.
  • ramouramou Member Posts: 84
    I posted about a week ago about my interior light fuse keep on blowing. well the problem was in my driver side sunvisor, the insulation on the wires leading to the visor wore out and it exposed the wire making it touch metal parts and shorting out the interior light. as we all know the interior light, map light, trunk light, and visor lights are all under the same fuse which is the under the rear seat/passenger side. So today i unscrewed the visor's 3 screws then i basically dismanteled the visor to try to find that bare wire. the same problem could also happen to the passenger side visor, depending on how much it's being used. It's not so much opening the flap for the lighted mirror, but it's more of swinging the visor around to block the sun, that action overtime will cause the wire to rubb back and forth inside the visor causing it to wear out. So to narrow it down it's the visible 4 inch piece of wire that leads from the headlinner to the visor, the piece that directly comes out when you remove those 3 screws. now you probably want to know how i knew this, well i have to admit that the visor was my last guess , but i asked a technician at the Dealership and he told me to chech the visors because he gets a lot of those reported poblems and it's always the visor. so when i went home i played with the passenger side visor and nothing happened, then i played with the driver side visor and sure enough the fuse blew.i guess the swinging around of the visor to block the sun will wear out the wire so i just put electric tape around it and so far no problem.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    I don't know how many Aurora owners have upgraded their Auroras with some custom wheels? I have on my 1999 Onyx Black Aurora a set of 18 inch Lexani Roma, all chrome wheels with Nitto eXtreme tires size 235/40/ZR18. I also found these website http://www.afftw.com/main.htm were you can load any Olds Vehicle and see what it would look like with some custom wheels. See how an Aurora would look, you can change the color to match your own, you can even drop the Aurora several inches. Make sure you click on the far upper right hand side of the screen were it says "View Wheels on Vehicle" and a new page will load and check it out.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I don't want to spend any more than $20k on a car - new or used. I have narrowed it down (at least for now) to a '01 Millenia or '01 3.5 Aurora. I am crazy about the looks of both the classic and the new Aurora. Any advice from this board would be appreciated. Any watchouts on the '01 Aurora? The new vs. classic seems so different that maybe there should be two msg. boards. My main concern would be reliability. What is the general consensus? Thanks in advance.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Except I'm only looking at the Aurora.
    That the Aurora is awesome!! Actually, I think you'll find everyone here, even people who had problems, still liked their Aurora. However, I think everyone here also owns the V8. I can't think of any posters that had the V6 (although only about 3-4 of us even have the new Aurora). However, if you get one, you can help round out our board! There were some service bulletins for the '01 Auroras concerning mainly small things. However, I think you will find that true of any car. The '01 went on sale in January of 2000, so you might want to check the build date in the driver's side door just so you have an accurate idea of how old it is. I don't think there is anything worse about the early ones, but you will want to know that the car is really two years old when settling on a price. I'm sure more bulletins apply to early ones, since they usually make changes to the line when a bulletin comes out, but nothing really to worry about. You might also see what the warranty is on it. Not all 2001's had the 5yr/60,000 mile warranty.

As for content, not everything that was standard on the 4.0 was on the 3.5. If you are happy with the content, then that's fine. However, if you think it has certain features because people here mentioned them, then you might want to double-check it.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    A 2002 model next year, but if I find a 2001 that has everything I want (sunroof, chrome wheels, heated seats & dual climate controls in certain colors) I might go for it.

A number of people at my work have 3.5 Intrigues and they've been trouble free.

It's true that everything that's on the 4.0 isn't on the 3.5, but if one looks around long enough a loaded one will come along.

Lack of seat heaters and dual climate controls won't be a deal breaker, but no sunroof is. I'm surprised how many Auroras don't have one, considering the price point.

Power isn't really an issue since my wife's coming out of a Cavalier... going to a 3.5 Aurora is a huge leap upscale.
    As the undisputed king of shop time, let me give my opinion after >$8,000 worth of repairs and > $1,000 dollars of modifications to my 7 year old 95 Classic that caused me to start this board over 3 years ago.

I LOVE IT !!

The thing about the Classic to remember is that at the time it was the most tech heavy car on the road. Many things on current GM cars, such as the chasis, originated with the Classic.

The positive side of the technology is the ride, comfort and gadgets. The negative side is that it can cost to repair the car.

No car is perfect (not even L-Xus). The classic tends not to handle as well as the Y2K models. The car is heavey, so it is not an off the line car, or a cornering car. Because the Northstar is now over 7 years old, there are 6cyn cars with greater horse power than the Classic or the Y2K's.

The Classic tends to need TLC, but most performance cars fall into this category.

The real question is: "Do I like the car enough to put up with its 'personality'?" When the car works the way it is supposed to (which is MOST of the time), it is motoring heaven.

If you drive to get from point A to point B, then don't spend the money on the Aurora, the Toyota Echo will do that. If you enjoy the ride, performance, environment and American metal then the best choice is . . . .

Henri
    As the undisputed king of shop time, let me give my opinion after >$8,000 worth of repairs and > $1,000 dollars of modifications to my 7 year old 95 Classic that caused me to start this board over 3 years ago.

I LOVE IT !!

The thing about the Classic to remember is that at the time it was the most tech heavy car on the road. Many things on current GM cars, such as the chasis, originated with the Classic.

The positive side of the technology is the ride, comfort and gadgets. The negative side is that it can cost to repair the car.

No car is perfect (not even L-Xus). The classic tends not to handle as well as the Y2K models. The car is heavey, so it is not an off the line car, or a cornering car. Because the Northstar is now over 7 years old, there are 6cyn cars with greater horse power than the Classic or the Y2K's.

The Classic tends to need TLC, but most performance cars fall into this category.

The real question is: "Do I like the car enough to put up with its 'personality'?" When the car works the way it is supposed to (which is MOST of the time), it is motoring heaven.

If you drive to get from point A to point B, then don't spend the money on the Aurora, the Toyota Echo will do that. If you enjoy the ride, performance, environment and American metal then the best choice is . . . .

Henri
    http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/?TACH/

Read these reviews... 2001 and 2002

I put Bosch Platinum +2's and Bosch Platinum wires in my 98 Aurora Friday night. A friend I managed to do it in about an hour and a half. Once we got a few electrical stuff off and the coil packs the rear bank of plugs wernt that bad to change. Much to my suprise I still had the factory plugs in. I got the new ones in and I LOVE MY CAR!!!

My car runs so much better. I thought it was the FPR that was causing the hesitation but it must of been a plug/wire.

To make a very long story short... I went to little vacation with 3 other friends on thier crotch rockets and I in my Aurora. We ended up meeting up with 14 other bikes and going on a cruise on some country roads. A guy driving a firebird and I were the only cars with these guys. I never got behind and even ended up passing the Firebird. When parked and everyone got out and talked. The firebird owner asked what I had in my car to keep up with him and told him. He said he didn't know these cars were so fast and able to take corners like that.

On the way home got my governor to of off a couple of times. Trying to keep up with 3 gsx 600's was actually pretty fun :o)
    yikes, my old high school english teacher would not be happy with me after reading that post.
    Anyone have success removing this? If so, how? Do I need to take a piece off the bottom of the car?
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    ...depends on what you mean by success. My '95 came with one installed when I got it last year. It's easy enough to remove - 4 bolts just come right out - if you don't mind the 4 bolt-holes left in the bumper.

Soooo... I put an american flag plate on the front after 9/11 and I've been living with it. However, I will be getting the hood and bumper painted soon and will have the body shop repair the bumper holes then.
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    Just got back from a 900mile round trip across Oregon and what a road trip car these babies are. Most of the trip was on two-lane highway with some 4lane. I went from 2500feet altitude, up and over the cascade range 5000feet and down to sea level and back again. Averaged 27mpg...had all the power I needed when it came time to pass...and spanked by brother's '75 vette off the line.(of course '75 L48s were the slowest vette engines ever(other than some of those 50's models)...but still!
    I also discovered a new gadget, I love to discover new gadets, when you move the visor over to block the sun from the side windows (and apparently screw up the wiring...nice to know this now after I moved that visor around a jillion times!) that little dinky visor that folds down for the front (you know the one that is under the regular visor) any way I always thought it was way to small...well I'm driving along and checking it out and loandbehold there is a piece that slides out of it and makes it longer...reaches clear to the drivers door...yes I knew about the slider on the main visor, but DUDES!...there's one on the hidden visor too... 8 months into this car and still finding toys. too cool!
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    Factoid that is interesting to probably only me: the 4.0 is 244 cubic inches... thats 442 backwards
  • herbvherbv Member Posts: 6
    About a month ago I bought a 2001 3.5 from a local dealer.

the car was built in March of 2000. It had 10,500 miles on it and I paid $21,500. It had no sunroof and the warranty was for 36,000 or 3 years which leaves one year left on the warranty. However I have a mechanic who I have used for the last 20 years and I have great trust in him. The thinks the 3.5 will be far more trouble free than the 4.0.

The car did not have a sunroof. Since my wife thinks a sunroof is absolutely necessary I had one installed for $1050.

It is a beautiful automobile with a great ride and I think I got a decent deal.
    Automatic entry into the "You know you are obsessed with your card when . . . . "
    Larryfl-
    Did you have to go behind the bumper to remove the bracket? How big are the holes in the bumper?

I just hate the stupid thing and would like to get rid of it. Sigh.
    I would also like to get rid of mine. I'm just worried about the paint and plastic not matching anymore.

Could the holes be covered by the same pieceproduct that is used to cover holes in trunks when spoilers are removed? I've seen these somewher eon the net. I'll do a little more research.

I thought about having a license plate made. They air brush them at the local fair. I was thinking of having an aurora symbol made on one. I was going to do this last year but completly forgot.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    My front licence plate frame is held on by 4 bolts located just behind the licence plate itself. The four bolts just unscrew right out of the bumper and can be screwed right back in again. I think they just thread through the plastic/rubber of the bumper skin - two on the painted part and two on the black part over the air intake. They leave about 1/2" holes and yes, there is some discoloration on mine where the frame has been for so long. You should be able to pull yours off easily and refit it if you don't like what it looks like underneath.

I do remember someone posting several months ago that said their dealer had some color-coated plugs that he uses to cover the holes and I'm sure they would look fine. Mine was damaged by a front-end bump before I got the car that tore a quarter-sized hole at one of the mounting holes in the bumper. My only recourse is to either leave the frame on or repair the bumper.
  • rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    I've been tickled pink with my silver 2001 3.5 Aurora.

A fairly late build date of March 2001 insured that there was a center tether point in the rear seat for an infant seat... I think some early builds did not have this. Some early reviewers groused about the fit and finish (not an issue on my car - perfect), and about the a/c knobs being too easy to turn (again, a non-issue for me, it just takes some getting used to - it actually gives the dash a kind of refined feeling), and about the headlight pattern off to the side of the vehicle (picky,picky,picky - I guess these guys have to do something for a living.) It's quiet, it's an entry level luxury car (it's not a $50,000 Lexus - you have to be happy with the price range you've chosen), it's pretty in an American kind of way (vs. the Lincoln LS - kind of Euro-styled). The 3.5 has sufficient power to climb the mild mountain grades in western North Carolina at 75+ mph, and probably faster, if I dared.

I've got 23,000 miles since taking delivery of my new Aurora in April 2001. (Be prepared for more road time - - I never put on more than 15,000 miles in a year before.) Maintenance has included two burned out bulbs (replaced under warranty), regular oil changes with Mobil 1, a very occasional power steering unit moan that the dealer and I haven't been able to identify and address, yet - I don't think it's a major issue, and finally, replacement of a crankshaft position sensor (under warranty). I've never been stranded, never been towed, and I've always smiled each time I strap into the silver princess.

Ken
    I thought a little while back someone mentioned their cruise control would just turn off sometimes. There is one possible problem that is discussed in the May Techlink on service.gm.com. http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200205-en.pdf#dst01

There is also a chart on oil capacity. I remeber a ways back when I first changed my oil, I noticed that putting in the 7 quarts (6.5 in the crank, .5 in the filter) wasn't cutting it. A bunch of people here said it really takes 8 quarts total (and they were right). The chart in the Techlink confirms that the crankcase of the Olds 4.0L holds 7.5 quarts, so add in the .5 quarts in the filter and it indeed takes 8 quarts...

There is also something about the center high mounted stop light falling down in 2001-2002 Auroras.
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    rjs200240 - I have had that intermittent problem. Thanks for the link. Dave
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    After removing the 4 screws the bracket came off. I painted the silver screws with several coats of paint and put them back in the bumper. It worked fine for me.
  • aurorabillaurorabill Member Posts: 22
    I am the 10-day owner of a 98 STS. There are two questionable or annoying things I wonder if anybody else has experienced?

1. The remote entry works very sporadically. I have already replaced the battery, so its not that. Sometimes it takes up to 3 clicks to unlock the front door, up to 5 time to unlock the rear. With my Aurora I was able to open the drivers door from 50 feet away. It appears that there is some directionality, but I can't figure this thing out.

2. Sometimes while playing a CD there is a static sound, like the drift of FM radio. I could understand FM drift, but not from a CD!

BTW, I called Corsa about a new exhaust. They give the STS about 22 more HP and about 19 ft/lbs more torque. The cost is $999. My local Caddy dealer said they weren't interested in the so I am pursuing a private shop. The one thing I learned is that it doesn't pay to have a local guy fabricate one, because it will unlikely have the sound deadening qualities of a Corsa, which is a higher-tech, engineered solution.

Thanks.
    Aurorabill
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    matrixfrog:

I'm happy to hear your problem was plugs/wires and not the FPR. Ironically when my Aurora started to be hard to start, I first thought of spark plugs. Then after reading several posts on FPR problems, I realized that more closely fit my symptoms. Since replacing the FPR eight days ago, the motor has started right away as it used to.

Why did you decide to go with Bosch plugs/wires as opposed to AC/Delco? Not being critical, I am curious as I am shopping for same because I know I will need to replace them soon.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    aurorabill:

I had an intermittent problem with my remote entry transmitter, too. I have no idea if your STS transmitter is built the same as the Aurora's. The problem was that the circular spring that holds the battery and is connected to the circuit board in two places with small pins came loose from the circuit path; the solder connections broke. It wasn't obvious at first because there was enough mechanical "grip" to hold the spring in place, but it wasn't making a reliable electrical connection. I resoldered it with a small soldering pencil, and it has worked flawlessly since then.
    Has anyone experienced their plug wires coming off on their classic as you're driving? well I have. My right front and left 3rd plug wire come loose occasionally and i can feel it right away as it feels like the engine is missing and it's running on 7 cylinders. so i just pull over and push it back in. the one in the rear is a bit tricky and not much room to stick your hands especially if the motor is hot, unless youuse a rag or a towel. also what' s the procedure to change the spark plugs. the front is easy but how about the rear?
    i'm in the market for a new set of rubber but i don't want to spend the $$ on the Michelin MXG4 Energy that i have now...any suggestions?? i like the Michelin but i'm willing to try different brand and preferrably cheaper tire?
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    If the plug wires are a proper fit and the ones that are coming loose are the same as the other wires, check and make sure the spark plugs are properly seated. If they aren't, or if the insulators are brown where they meet the metal body of the spark plug, you may have blowby from the engine. This could blow the boots off of the plugs. (If the insulators are brown where the wires fit over them, the seal between the ceramic and metal is probably shot).
    The Dunlop SP Sport A2's are pretty cheap for a decent tire (I'm sure there are cheaper "off" brands). It is supposed to have a decent combo of dry performance and bad weather performance, plus decent treadwear. Not sure about the quiet, though. All in all they seem like a good tire at a reasonable price.
    blk97- I am still pretty sure my FPR is bad. The hesitation is gone but the hard starting is still happening.

As for why I chose Bosch over AC Delco, I dont really have an answer. The Bosch Platinum 2's were a little more $ so I thought they would be superior. They also have a guarentee that if you cant notice a difference then they will refund your money. I noticed a big differece but mainly because I had a bad plug/wire. I don't really like getting AC Delco parts if there is another brand name availible. just the way I am I guess.
  • wingnut396wingnut396 Member Posts: 50
    Anyone hear from 800watt and his engine toys lately? Just curious if he ever received all the goodies and/or installed them. Would be nice to hear from a fellow classic owner that has done some of that stuff.
    Matrixfrog, you are somebody's dream come true...

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go. It sure sounded funny in your post.

Why don't you like ACDelco? Actually, I always try to get ACDelco parts when I can. I hate how hard it is to find ACDelco Dexron III anymore. I much prefer it to Quaker State or some other crap. I guess I figure that for a lot of things, the ACDelco part was made specifically for the car (like Dexron III which is a standard GM developed). Sometimes with non-OEM's, the part they recommend is some part they sell anyways but will probably do the trick. I've definitely had spark plugs burn up or arc away in short order. It wasn't because they weren't the type specified by the maker for my car, but rather because it was the wrong maker...

wingnut396, 800watt is always posting. Check the GMForums too. I think he has recieved at least part of his order (he was drooling over the throttle body on GMForums) but is waiting to try to get a baseline dyno run before putting it all on.
    rjs- I understand how funny that sounded but they came pre-gapped specifically for my car and has pure platinum in the electrode(double the amount ACDelco has). The also have 2 prongs but I dont believe in the double prong stuff.

To me it seems like ACDelco makes cheap stuff. I've had 3 ACDelco alternators go bad in an old Corsica I had, the ACDelco plugs in my Aurora are supposed to go to 100,000miles but that wasn't even close, the plug wires in my Aurora were pretty bad, I would of though they would outlast the plugs. Im probably being too judgemental but I've had better sucess when I didnt go with ACDelco.

"You get what you pay for."
    I've noticed that the amount of platinum does seem to be touted in a lot of platinum tipped plugs. Does extra platinum really help, though? I was of the impression it's only usefulness in a spark plug is it's resistance to eroding. I didn't think platinum was an especially good conductor. This is why most platinum plugs just have a coating of platinum with the rest being copper. I wonder if more platinum than that really helps.

Actually, I don't quite see the appeal of 100,000 mile tune-ups. Spark plugs aren't particularly expensive, and if non platinum plugs can provide better spark, I'd rather change them a few times. Erosion from the sparking isn't the only hazard to plugs anyway. They get fouled up from the combustion process and platinum won't prevent that. Plus, I don't think there has been much change in wire technology, and they usually last about 60,000 miles or so.

Matrix, did you try non-ACDelco alternators in the Corsica too? I've found the non-ACDelco parts like an alternator tend to have bearing problems and such before the alternator itself even has time to die. Personally, I think that's worse because it can damage other components by burning up the belt. I'm not begruding you your non-ACDelco stuff, I'm just curious. I have noticed there are better performance plug wires out there than ACDelco, but they also tend to cause more interference with the radio.
    Do I need to get new plugs?

Will I notice the difference?