Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    $650 for fogs is insane. Your headlights shouldn't cost that much. I'd opt for some nice Hella brand lights. They're some of the best on the market, and won't cost anywhere near $650.

Regarding the cargo mat. I was going to purchase one for $99, but went to PepBoys and bought one for $20. I have it slid under the third row seats when the third row is up. Okay, it's not custom fit, but it's a rugged rubber unit with fairly high sides that can catch and hold a bunch of junk that may spill back there when I carry stuff. This might do the trick for you, I dunno.

Also, does anyone know if there is an additional evaporator in the rear when you have rear a/c? I thought there was, but I saw a post to the contrary before. I thougth it was located in the right side quarter panel.

Cheers!

--Java
  • dapontdapont Member Posts: 21
    Susquehanna Motor Sports stocks Hella Micro DE foglights which should fit nicely behind the foglight escutcheons on the MPV. They cost as little as $115.00 for a kit of two.

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/fog.htm#MicroDE
  • cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    WeatherTech (also known as MacNeil Automotive) offers custom cargo liners for 2000 MPVs. There are two styles... one fits into the rear well, and the other covers the flat cargo floor when the 3rd seat is stowed. Both have vertical lips and are available in black, tan or gray. They are kind of expensive.

I don't have one, but am considering it. Anybody have a WeatherTech cargo liner?

http://www.weathertech.com/Cargoliners.htm
  • dispatch1dispatch1 Member Posts: 30
    The top says you can view the product in the van.
    Doesn't happen with any of the browsers I own (Internet destroyer, and Netscape). I just get the order form.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Perhaps they mean for you to order it first and see how it looks in your van :)

Cheers,

TB
  • kellyannekellyanne Member Posts: 5
    I live in Florida and the dealer acted like I was crazy to request the 4 seasons package. He said it was only if you're going to be doing a lot of towing. He said otherwise it's useless even in the heat here. Anyone else heard this line (or know if it's true?)
    In terms of radiator capacity, generally speaking if more is better too much is just right. I'd rather have too much engine cooling capacity and not need it than need more cooling and not have it.
    My salesman thought it was a great package, but did say they probably should have called it the tow package instead. I dont think it's useless, otherwise I wouldn't have got it. How can you got wrong with the 4 seasons package? Short answer - you can't, and I don't care where you live.
  • bweinerbweiner Member Posts: 5
    Please remember that the salesperson will try to sell you what's in his/her lot. And if the feature is tough to track down, that's more incentive for the salesperson to convince you that you don't need it.

My sales manager told me that the 4 seasons wasn't available. Then I got on the phone and found a bunch. Then after he was 'forced' to call around, he tried to get me to purchase one of the more loaded models.

My mechanic said it was a no brainer, get the package. Bigger radiator, more cooling to the engine (remember it's underpowered) and transmission, and heavy duty rear defogger, all for less than $400. Come on, get real. If you're going to be keeping the car for more than 100K miles, you will need it. Especually in the South.
  • kellyannekellyanne Member Posts: 5
    I figured the dealer was trying to sell me what he has, and I wanted to validated my feeling that the 4 seasons was not only a good buy, but necessary for the heat. Thanks!
  • gaz2gaz2 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a Black Mica ES last week, and we love it!! Thanks to everyone for all of your helpful comments.

We didn't purchase the Mazda entertainment system, but we want to buy an aftermarket VCR to use for long trips. Has anyone purchased one that they are happy with? Is there one that fits as a console unit, or do you have to buy the one that hangs from the front headrests?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    You can purchase roof mounted systems from Rosen (MPV OEM supplier), or Audiovox. (Local installer here does either for about $1700 + tax.)

Not sure if Steel Horse has one like that or not. Steel Horse does make the backpack (hangs from seats) and console units. I think their website is http://www.steelhorse.com . They have a number of configurations available. I think the cheapest system is about $400.

Some claim that roof mounted systems help avoid car sickness. How true this is, I don't know. A couple of friends of ours have seen our system and both liked it. One bought the steel horse backpack thing, the other is having a Rosen system installed in their suburban. The friend with the steel horse system loves it, if that helps.

Basically, you can buy whatever you want, because all the various configurations are available aftermarket. How much you want to spend on it will more or less determine which you will get. I think the backpack idea is rather cool, since you can easily move it from vehicle to vehicle.

Regardless of which system you end up with, your kids will LOVE it. You'll also enjoy the silence.
    (ie, no more "are we there yet?" every 5 miles) I have 4 kids, so I really enjoy the silence. ;) Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
    Opps. The steel Horse website is actually :
    http://www.steelhorseautomotive.com/

Cheers
  • lgcannonlgcannon Member Posts: 1
    Well I got my brand spankin new 2000 Sand Mica Mazda MPV LX Wagon on July 1st. Love it so far, but still on my free gas; only 150 miles.
    I paid:
    Base Price $20,210
    Fog Lamps 215
    Mud Guards 56
    Rear Step Plate 43
    Roof Rack 172
    Rear Air (nice) 512
    3 in 1 Audio 129
    4 Seasons Pkg 344
    Security Pkg 946
    Transportation 480
    Advertising Fee 129
    Storage 65
    Subtotal 23,301

Less Dealer Cash -1,000
    Dealer Profit 200

My Cost 22,501

Plus Zero Down and 0% Financing for 24 mo.
    That doesn't count sales tax 6.25% in Illinois document fees or license. I let them get away with that advertising fee and storage what ever that was for. I did see an invoice with those charges. At least he told me that the .09% financing that I expected was now as of July 1 zero down and 0% financing so I let him slide on advertising/storage. I don't seem to have a tilt or any shaking at 65-70 MPH or any wind noise. I hope my luck continues. Seems like I got a fair deal, but let me know if I was taken.
  • ndesmithndesmith Member Posts: 5
    Just want to thank everyone for all the info. We just picked up our Black LX with GFX. After hearing from one dealer that GFX was not available with the Lx we found a dealer that was willing to find us one. He quoted me $300 under invoice in addition to the $1000 rebate. But, I feared that
    the dealership wouldn't agree to that. But we went in and drove, without any pulling to the side, or problems with the engine. And the numbers were all as I had priced them. No advertising or bogus fees either. Our financing is through our credit union so no extra confusion there. I have never gotten such a good deal with so little effort. If you live in the Seattle area, be sure to try Milam Mazda in Puyallup.
    thanks.
  • doddhamdoddham Member Posts: 4
    Just got my MPV ES Sand Mica about a week ago and love it. In fact, both my wife and me like driving it better than our 1992 Mercedes.
    We purchased ours via internet (Mazda.com). This site will send out the vehicle you are looking for to several area dealers and the dealers will intern respond with their best offer. I ended up going to Jim Ellis Mazda (Marietta GA) and dealt with Jeff Boeser, internet consultant. He e-mailed me that they would sell the vehicle I wanted for invoice price (plus $199 documentation fee) and that Mazda was offering a $1000 factory rebate that would also be deducted. So we got the vehicle for essentially $1000 under envoice. And dealing with Jeff was the easiest purchase I have ever made - bar none. We got an ES with rear entertainment sys (with tuner), 3in1 radio, cargo mat, cargo net, and roof rack for the same price as an entry level Honda($26,565 including tag, tax, title - 6% tax).
  • timot30timot30 Member Posts: 2
    I am curious as to how many buyers had to pay the $480 destination charge. I read that many are paying a certain amt. under invoice or over invoice but this charge is not usually mentioned.

Every quote I received was invoice price or a little under invoice but included a waiver of the destination charge. But only one offered some of the 1000 from Mazda.

There are lots of ways to configure a deal and the 480 destination charge and any advertising fees or other charges certainly affect the bottom line.

I only bring this up so that potential buyers realize these charges are very negotiable, something I didn't realize dealers would ever negotiate.

It appears there is no reason anyone should pay more than invoice price for an MPV right now, or have to pay destination charge. The other minor fees such as advertising also seem to be negotiable. If you can also get some of the 1000 Mazda incentive and low financing, go for it.
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    I paid invoice plus destination, plus invoice for any options. I got the 1,000 dealer incentive, but not the special financing.
  • bugabooxbugaboox Member Posts: 23
    I'm interested in your internet deal, but the page you refer to is Mazda's global web site. I've been there plenty of times, but never ran across a buying service there. Am I missing something?
  • dickbobdickbob Member Posts: 2
    I'm working with a salesman whose dealership just bought the Mazda franchise from another dealer, so he is unfamiliar with the Mazdas plus he doesn't know what they have in stock. I inked a deal with him that didn't include the 4-seasons pkg and then asked him if he had a similar MPV with 4-seasons but told him it wouldn't be a deal breaker. This preface is to speak to his credibility. He said that when he sells Explorers, a heavy duty cooling system is meant for towing and that it can drain as much as 15% of the horsepower. Given that the MPV may be borderline underpowered, this may be a downside that should be considered. It also would take a toll on gas mileage. His opinion was that even if he had one in stock, I shouldn't get it. As a note, I'm in Virginia.
  • cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    I have an LX with the 4-seasons package. In seven months of ownership, my mileage has ranged from a low of 19.4 mpg up to 24.4 mpg. My overall average has been 21.3. From reading other posts, this is on the high side of what many people are getting. So I'm still glad I got the package. It doesn't seem to be impacting my gas mileage.
    I think the 4 seasons package is worth it. There are discussions on this package further up, maybe 4 or 5 days ahead of this one.

The buying service he's talking about at mazdausa.com, is not a buying service per se. Go to the site, and "Build your Own". Once you have the vehicle the way you want it, you will have the option to send the info to 5 or 6 dealers who will then contact you with a quote. I used this service myself. It works out pretty well. A few days later (a week I think) Mazda asked me to rate each dealer as to who sent quotes, who contacted me, etc. from the dealers they listed. Seems like they are trying to really get it up and running.
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    Dickbob, I'm no expert, but that's got to be the the must uninformed opinion imaginable re: 4 seasons, to put it mildly. Its primarily an electric fan, more water capacity & transmission cooler. The engine load would be negligible. The A/C would put a bigger load on the engine. Remember, this 2.5L passenger car engine is shoving the MPV around, and darn well might qualify at "tow" level of duty.

Hey Tboner, you know this stuff pretty well, what say you?
    ...too big for my pillow :)

A large cooling system should not put more load on an engine. The water pump can only pump a given volume of coolant per unit time (gallons/minute) Installing a larger radiator would not change this, it would simply allow the coolant to remain in the radiator longer, which should lower the coolant temperature more than if the same coolant passed through a smaller radiator.

You friend with the Explorer story is probably pulling a number out of his rectal cavity, but there is some grain of truth. Remember, an Explorer is a RWD vehicle and may have a crankshaft belt driven fan. Depending on your age, you may remember when almost every car was RWD and you actually had belt driven fans. These fans sucked horsepower because they were always turning and moving air. Someone finally invented a heat sensitive clutch that the fan would "fully engage" if the temperature of the radiator rose to some level. Otherwise, the fan spun lazily, not robbing the engine of power.

Ok, enough history, today probably all FWD cars have electric fans that are electronically controlled. They, like the upgraded mechanical ones, only turn on when they are needed. However, they do not use engine horsepower directly, rather they use electricity, produced from the alternator. But remember you car should always be producing electricity with a properly functioning alternator. While the alternator does experience more load, it is not anything near the load placed on the engine by a mechanical fan.

If you place a great electrical load on the car, you can feel it slow down, but usually only at idle. Once the vehicle is moving two things occur. First, the alternator is turning faster, more easily generating electricty. Second, the vehicle is moving and there is natural air flow across the radiator, so the fan is no longer needed.

So, no your cooling fan wont use 15% of your vehicles horsepower. Heck, if just a larger fan used 15% more horsepower, how many horsepower does the standard fan use? 15% of 170HP is about 25HP. That is 33,000 ft/lbs of work in 60 seconds times 25. I don't think so.

Cheers,

TB
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    My wife calls me today to tell me she "thinks" she has a small dent in the van and wants to know how to remove it. Boy was I pissed. If she wasn't afraid to walk a bit, she wouldn't have parked in some undersized parking spot with cars too close for comfort. While I haven't yet seen this "small" dent, and assuming I can access the inside of the door, has anyone ever tried to bang out a small dent with a rubber mallet from the inside of the door? There is no way I go to have it fixed and painted over at a body shop because, based on personal experience, that is the sure fire way to a deteriorating finish. Had van since February. Approx. 3700 miles.
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    Its going to be ok, bill24. Find a "Dent Wizard" in your area. No painting, perfect for your situation. I've had this done on my car on more than just dings. As long as the paint is not broken. They have a website, just put a .com after the name. Unless your really good, that rubber mallet will potentially cause more damage.
  • lcotelcote Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just bought the MPV. We bought the MPV with less options in order to save $$. However, we are interested in getting the foglamps. The Dealer wants $490.00 installed. (I don't think so.......) I thought I read somewhere a web site that has these.... Can't find it now., and...I need to know which ones fit in these wholes., diameter, etc.
    Any ideas.... Thanks!
    Thanks for the reply. Never heard of them but sounds good. The ding is really small and the paint isn't broken so this may be okay.
    Called them. Said a small ding will probably run around $125 and probably less if it is real small, which I think mine is. Sounds great, though I haven't yet decided for sure whether, given the size of the ding, it makes sense to do it. Knowing that I can get things like that fixed without having to worry about the screw ups that repainting can cause gives me a great deal of comfort. Thanks again.
  • masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    Clean dirt off the area, wet the rim of the plunger, cover, push in and pull. Have removed several dings in my days using this method. Never have damaged the metal or made a ding worse. Worth a shot, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Will save you $125 on up if it does.
    Thanks for the advice. Do you need a rubber plunger or will the "super plunger" that is plastic (orange -- Home Depot version)suffice? The reason I ask is I am concerned the plastic could leave a mark (and I'd have to borrow someone's rubber version).
    the plastic one, always used the basic rubber plunger. Have had the same one for many years. Wish I could give you a definative on the plastic but can't. Better borrow your neighbors just to be safe.
  • dlncmaydlncmay Member Posts: 27
    Tboner, be careful Masshoosier is going to give you a run for your money with regard to creative ideas ;) A plunger to remove dings, hmmmmm

Take care.
    ...to the raised floor tile pullers (aka tile suckers) that we have in some of our customers computer rooms :)

However, those are for the really big dents.

Cheers,

TB
  • julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    or will a new clean one get out the dent too? LOL
    It might depend on what you had to eat the night before.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Ack, too much information. ;-)
    I've used dry ice before to "pop" dings and minor hail damage out before. Works pretty well. I've always put the DI in a ziplock bag and just rub over the area. You don't want to put the DI on the bare paint - I hear it can damage paint. I've always wrapped it.

Note: If you've never been around dry ice, you do not want to touch it with your hands - use gloves. Don't lick it or eat it either. (I apologize if you knew this - some don't)
  • wallahwallah Member Posts: 5
    I was looking at the mazda site www.mazda.com and viewing the MPV's on other countries sites. I found that some, see this picture, http://www.mazda.com.au/newmpv/754.html have 3 seats in the second row and 2 seats in the rear. Subtle differences but fun to see how Mazda adapts to the other countries needs.
  • mbaniakmbaniak Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading the MPV posts since April and have heard many rumors about the 2001 MPV.
    Someone posted that they
    are going into production in August, and will
    show up at the dealership in September but no
    confirmations on the possibility of the 3.0L V6
    coming. I also heard the 3.0L V6 engines are not going in and are being utilized for the Mazda Tributes. I'm deciding between the MPV and the
    new Mazda Tribute that will get me more power and better acceleration. There has been ALOT of praising articles on the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape and I will be waiting to drive the Tribute to see how it compares to the MPV which I've driven twice now.
    Anyone done any more digging to find out if the 3.0L engine will show up in the 2001 MPV ? Checked all
    the car magazine web sites, and found no articles.
    It looks like both the Mazda MPV and Tribute will
    be real close in price as well if some incentives
    kick in during the fall. If the wife finds the
    Tribute functional and roomy with my 4 and 2 year old, we may go for the Tribute.
    I will give up some storage space, but will
    get 4WD also. I still like the MPV but need more
    power.
  • topspinsteventopspinsteven Member Posts: 10
    Hello. I've been reading the MPV boards for quite some time, but this is my first post. I called Mazda Customer Service of Friday to ask about incentives, but just happened to ask them if they knew if the 2001 MPV's would have the 3.0 engine. What the fella told me is that it won't, and most likely won't until 2002. The only changes in 2001 will be that the 3 in 1 audio and the keyless entry will become standard, and that there will be slight color modifications to the white and silver. I don't remember him telling me anything else. I still have yet to buy an MPV yet, and will probably wait until September 6 when the current incentives (financing) ends and hopefully a better incentive will come along. He did tell me that the 2001 models will start production in August and should be on lots some time in late from September to October.

Hope this helps,
    STeve
  • meerameera Member Posts: 50
    Anyone else with white out there having A LOT of chips? I swear the front already has more rock chips than my 91 did. Today I found a huge piece of paint missing around the rim of the gas tank lid. Who knows how this happened. I do like the color though, it's an off white instead of a bright white. Thanks for the info Steve. Good luck with your future purchase.
    I stumbled across this new link on Edmund's web pages that summarizes changes to all 2001 models. This is the first article I've seen about any across-the-board 2001 auto changes. Though it only refers to the Tribute in the Mazda section, I'm sure once Mazda releases its lineup changes, Edmunds will be the first to bring it to us.

http://www.edmunds.com/whatsnew2001/index.html

On a sadder note, I'm disappointed a bigger engine will not debut on the otherwise stunning MPV. We believe that the current drivetrain will produce premature transmission problems two or three years down the line, something we have already experienced in an underpowered car. I will keep monitoring the MPV threads here to see what happens, especially the MPV Problems topic.

For now, we're leery about the drivetrain and the uncertainty of Mazda's corporate and dealership changes now that Ford is in charge. This is enough for us to say that Mazda has lost a sale.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Your link from underpowered engines to transmissions is flawed. It is everyones assumption that Honda is not underpowered yet we continue to read about tranny and engine problems on the Oddy threads. Even to the point that an engine block was seeping oil. While I understand your concerns and believe a larger engine would have placed the MPV on the throne, I find my MPV to be a joy to drive and am much happier I found it instead of buying the Oddy. If your waiting, its really not worth the fretting and worry.
    I respectfully disagree based on experience and my mechanic's advice. My 1992 Mitsubishi Expo produces about 116 hp/125 ft-lbs. of torque driving appr. a 3000 pound car with a similar profile to the MPV. We noticed how it struggled, more now as an older car, going up hills, when the a/c is turned on, driving with a full load, etc. That engine has relatively the same torque curve as the MPV's, i.e., it has a hard time getting to cruising speed, but once it's there, it's happy as can be and wants to do more. And we started noticing transmission problems two years into ownership (wouldn't back up, inching along while gunning the engine when the car was in drive, etc.) that were intermittent and could not be duplicated when the car was taken in for service. At 55,000 miles the overdrive clutch went out completely on the road to Houston from San Antonio. Thankfully, 3rd gear got us home but we were passed by trucks towing mobile homes (how embarrassing!). Thankfully, also, the drivetrain warranty was 5/60, so we wound up paying nothing except for the aggravation. We've been told several times that Expos are known for transmission problems.

Which begs the question: if a transmission has to shift a lot and work harder to use the engine's power to move the car, isn't there generally a greater chance of early transmission problems due to "overuse" (for lack of a better word) than if that wasn't the case? My mechanic told me that generally a weak engine will create more wear on the transmission than on the engine itself because the transmission has to work harder to find the engine's power to move the car. And we have to consider that given the Expo's engine and record.

Your response seems to suggest that because the Ody is not underpowered that it shouldn't be suffering through all its engine and tranny problems. I would generally agree with that. Could it be that these problems could be caused by another reason, such as Honda's use of inferior or defective engines and transmissions in its products? I would think and hope not, but I stay open to the possibility.

I owned a Honda Accord whose camshaft broke at 19,000 miles. Thankfully it too was under warranty, but I was without a car for 12 days, and thankfully it happened in a parking lot going 2 miles an hour in reverse. If I'd been on the freeway, I probably would not be having this conversation with you. Needless to say, everyone's surprised at my Honda story because they are generally looked at as being highly reliable vehicles, and they are stunned when I tell them that. Even Hondas are not exempt from problems, and I never felt the Accord was underpowered. I feel, but certainly can't prove, that the engine or its camshaft was defective.

When it comes right down to it, buying a car is a crapshoot. You play the numbers, go with the generalities and reputations, and take your chances. Many people win, some lose. Sounds like you've won and you're happy with your purchase. Had it not been for previous experience, I too would've purchased the MPV a while ago. But the Expo hasn't died yet (knock on wood) and I'm not desperate to buy. I personally think the fretting and worry is worth it, because I don't feel I can make a $25K mistake. Then again, that's just me!
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Thats understandable considering your history with car problems. I have been fortunate in the fact that the last four cars I have purchased have not had any problems of the sort. Then again they were Buicks and Olds. I waited a year to get the van fretting and worrying all the while. Then I noticed the trend in the problem threads. I suppose I began trusting my fellow posters like yourself. At least with the Mazda you get an additional 15k miles over the Oddy. I figure if I develop a problem it will be within that first 50k, and that will be Mazda's problem. In the mean time its the sunroof open, Queen cranking on the stereo and the cruise on at least 70. If the tranny does go I won't even hear it!
    Well now I have a big chip -- about a 1/4 inch, on the passenger's side front quarter panel surrounding the engine. No idea how the wife got it, but it goes right down to the black underneath the paint and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the white van. Anyone used the touchup paint? I called local dealer and he said he has the white in stock. Considering a body shop but figure I'll try it first and if it still looks bad, then go to them if it looks bad and only if they can assure me they won't spray any more than a very small area.

Price for rear bumper plate in ny-- $40. Anyone do better?
  • kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Member Posts: 11
    I just got my first scratch! 3 weeks old, 526 miles...ouch! It's on the rear bumper below the bumper plate. It looks like a front license plate bracket hit it. I just got touch-up paint but I am kind of afraid to use it. The dealer said that paint code 4F (sand mica) is an old color. He said that it was used as early as 94 protege's. I wonder if the touch up paint is old too. It's even off center, so I couldn't even put something over it, like an emblem or something.
    Be thankful that the bumper plate is only plastic and that scratching it doesn't really have conseqences beyond the scratch like RUST! So you don't feel alone, I too have scratches on the rear bumper that won't be covered by the bumper plate I am having picked up tomorrow (best price $32 -- same dealer said $50 in Feb.). The wife dropped the stroller on the bumper plate on 2 different occassions. One of the scratches will be covered but the other won't because it is on the side of the bumper that faces other cars. I definitely intend to use the touchpup paint on the bumper because there really isn't much you can do to hurt it.
  • jwstanjwstan Member Posts: 2
    I have a three month old white 2000 ES that has been chipping more than I would have expected. The hood and front bumper are the most problem areas but the back bumper is beginning to show some unusual wear, too. Also, I had a friend lean up against the right sliding door with her hand on the body panel. It left a crease where she applied a little pressure.

I just got a call from Mazda USA doing a follow-up questionnaire and discussed these issues with the interviewer. She lead me to believe that I would be contacted by Mazda to discuss my concerns.

We'll see. Other than these two things it has been a great vehicle.