Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    What's the replacement for the Aurora, sda? Hope the sale went well, but I bet you miss it. :)
  • silotwosilotwo Member Posts: 27
    I stumbled across a 2002 cherry 4.0 with 18k miles about a month ago. I love my 95, she has 97k on her and has been costing me a bit over the past year. I saw a classified ad for an 02 4.0 with 55k miles on it but it was silver with black leather. In 02 I had my eye on a new 4.0 in cherry but figured I'd wait till 03 and buy the last model year.
    But, I lost my job in Jan 03 and that ended the idea of a new aurora.

Anyway, I decided against the silver one but a few days later, at my wife's urging, I stopped by to take a 2nd look and to my surprise there was a cherry 4.0 in the driveway right next to the silver one! It was, except for not having heated seats, exactly what I had my eye on back in 02. In fact, I still have the sales catalog for it.

I decided to call the seller of the silver one later that day and politely asked if there was any chance he'd take an offer on the cherry one. To my surprise, he said, "funny you should ask, it was my late wife's car and yes, I have been thinking about selling it". End of story is I picked it up for $13,000. The exterior was pretty dirty so I dropped it at the dealer and had it detailed. When I picked it up, neither I nor my friends at the dealer, yes, when you own an Aurora and take care of it you make friends at the dealership, anyway, we were all really surprised at how perfect the car was. The owner of the dealership walked in to the shop and told me that I couldn't have purchased a nicer car from the showroom floor. Not a scratch or a ding anywhere, inside or out.

Now the problem is that I can't seem to let go of the 95 and every morning I have to decide which one to drive. They are similar but different. I think the 95 is more comfortable and a better long distance cruiser, and I still love the roar when you open her up. The 02 is quiet, quicker because of the taller final drive gear, and more nimble handling. I can only imagine that a third generation aurora might have been the perfect blend.

I've never been so addicted to a car before, not my 911, vette, saab turbo, or my three mustangs.

And to think I was considering a new G6. would have cost me over $25K and it isn't 1/4 the car the aurora is.
  • davidjp3davidjp3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 aurora with 97000 miles. When I bought it with 92000 miles, the rear headgasket started leaking enough to leave drops of coolant on the ground.

I put bars leak in and that stopped all coolant loss. Now, I'm at 97500 miles and I looked under the car and saw that between the cylinder head and engine block, there is a VERY small amount of goo across the mounting surface. I'm assuming it's the bars leak and coolant oozing out. I ran my finger across it and it was gooey. I did check this about 1500 miles ago and it was about the same.

Is this a ticking time bomb and should I get rid of the car? I don't want to but I don't want to pay for a headgasket repair. THat's a lot of $$$$.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I am very sorry to see it go. It was a tough decision to go ahead and sell it, but I got tired of moving cars around in the driveway. The new owner is smitten with it (Aurora). Out of the many cars I've owned, it was a favorite. Don't laugh as this was "my father's oldsmobile". I was with him when he picked it out on the lot in 8/94. I tried to direct him hoping he would buy the Olds LSS, or atleast a nice Cutlass Supreme SL. He bought a Cutlass Ciera SL II. $17200, two options. 6way power driver's seat and factory keyless remote. Medium Garnet red, ruby red interior. Complete with whitewalls and full wheel covers. Wide 185/75/14 non speed rated tires! It has been garage kept, and actually looks new. It is a culture shock driving it, but drive it like a Camry, and all is well. It had 67000 on it when dad gave it to me in July. Has almost 77000 on it now. Has decent power (v-6) and gets a consistent 25mpg. Insurance is dirt cheap, too. Hope to drive her for a while, then buy something more to my liking. I will continue to read the Aurora forums. I am still with you in spirit.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• black01aurorablack01aurora Member Posts: 11
    125 before the gov'y kicked in... dang thing. I know I could have gone untill my tires flew apart
  • eg98eg98 Member Posts: 9
    I just spent several hours reading this thread, since I only discovered the site a couple of days ago. I wish I had found it a few years back because it would have improved my ownership experience considerably.

In ‘01 I took a walk over to my local Pontiac/Buick/Cadillac dealership. They were having an August long-weekend sale. An off-lease metallic green '98 Aurora caught my eye. It was listed at 22K CAD$ (exchange rate was probably somewhere between 78-82 cents American) so I expected the mileage to be high. I was surprised to see it only had 47K km (less than 30K in miles) – a pretty good deal for a car that would have originally retailed for close to 50K CAD$. I mean, this car has every option and gadget you could possibly wish for – Gold Package, Autobahn, heated seats, sunroof (no Bose stereo, but the trunk CD changer is there) The low mileage meant that it still had a year and up to 80K kms of warranty left. So I bought it that very day.

I have been thrilled with this car. It is definitely the best I have either owned or leased. My commute is no more than 12 miles in town, so gas consumption really has not been an issue. But where this car really shines is on the longer highway trips. It is unbelievably comfortable, and that V8 just loafs along around 120 kph, with plenty of grunt at speed for passing. I enjoy it cruising around town on errands, whipping along country roads, or just letting it gobble up the highway mile after mile on a summer trip.

I did not purchase the GM extended warranty (I thought the price was a rip-off) and I do not know whether or not “aftermarket” warranties are even available in Canada. Predictably my AC compressor failed in September ’02, just weeks after the warranty ran out. Other than that the only unpleasant repair issue (knock wood) has been the water pump. This car is now on its fourth – that’s right, four water pumps! There has just been a minor throttle problem, regular oil changes, rubber, and brakes. I am heading for 145K kms, so I suppose there may well be other gremlins waiting for me.

At any rate, I have enjoyed the insights you have shared with one another over the past few years, and I hope to run this beauty at least until the summer of ’08. For the life of me I do not understand why more people have not taken advantage of purchasing these vehicles off-lease – you actually benefit from the rapid depreciation that has plagued domestics, while getting one heck of a car into the bargain. What would an import with these features cost, provided you could even find one?
  • redspot321redspot321 Member Posts: 8
    2002 Oldsmobile Aurora V6 Great condition 72000 MI

$6,500

The car books for about $10,000 but I am reading that olds have lost a ton of value due to olds going out.

Comments please!!!!! Is this a good deal?
  • todd44todd44 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to remove the passenger side headlight assembly?. I need to put a new one in. I removed the 2 bolts and still could not get it out.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    What year is your car?
  • zinc1zinc1 Member Posts: 133
    Quiet times in Auroraland! But I see Henry and Hammen2 and other familiar Aurorians are around! How ARE you guys?

I'm on my second car since The Witch and I were separated back in 2001. It's the car I was trying to imagine when I bought the Aurora. It's the car with the same supple lines and muscular design. It's the car with almost the exact same everything inside. It's got that same exclusivity. It has the same beige leather interior (oh, that smell). It even has a dubious service history... as a make. But this time I have a 100K warranty to lean on.

But it's Onyx White and not Metallic Beige. And the instant recognition it gets from people startles me after having the unknown (Aurora) and boring (Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai) cars in the driveway.

I'll post some pics of her on the Classic Aurora site (http://trak.to/aurora)if you want to see her. BTW, have you noticed how Edmunds (and other sites) have 'borrowed' my site's color scheme and tab layout!?! It's so cool!

Zincster
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Howdy stranger! Is there supposed to be some significance to you re-appearing on Edmunds on April Fool's Day?

My Aurora just crossed the 100k mile mark a couple of weeks back. In a few minutes I'm going outside to start a thorough interior and exterior cleaning. I've got a few door dings and some scratches to touch up, and will probably hit the car up with a buffer before applying a few coats of Zaino. At that point, she'll get an oil change and go into storage for the summer (just pulled my other ride out of storage - an '04 GTO).

In four days, I'll have had my Aurora for five years. She's been relatively trouble-free for the last several thousand miles - except for my Christmas Eve incident (loose lugs/loose tire/fried wheel bearing - my tire shop's fault, not the car's). I hope to get one more winter (November 1 through April 1) out of her before she goes on to live a life as a garage queen (I assume at some point in the future I'll strip the exterior down and do a restoration - keep the frame/body panels from rusting)...

So, let me guess: your new ride is a Jaguar? Can't think what else might have the flowing lines, more recognition, and a dubious service history... :-)

--Robert
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I bet he got a 2nd generation aROARa. :)
  • zinc1zinc1 Member Posts: 133
    Hey guys! Well, I did like the 2nd Gen okay, Henry, but it's a Jaguar S-Type :shades: Strange how it gets noticed though. Must be that name...

Great to hear your 'roara is fine, hammen2! The car needs a few examples to survive for posterity, so a restore might be in order in a few years. I still can't believe they killed Oldsmobile right after releasing the best looking car line all of GM.

People off the street ask how I like this Jag. People at work get mad because they think I'm getting paid too much. They could be right :)
    Well at least you didn't get "The Nemesis." :D :shades:
  • rridge1rridge1 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Aurora 6 cyl. Great car with only 65K on the odeometer. The only trouble I have had is I keep getting a check engine light and the trouble code is P0410? Secondary air injection. It has something to do with the air pump. I can re-set the light and it will be good for a couple of weeks and then it is back on. I took it to a dealer about 18 months ago and dropped $400 and did not have the problem for about a year. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this?

Thanks
    Just got the first tune-up. Thought I could hold out for 150K kms, but had to break down at 145K.

Over 1000 $CAD -- ouch :surprise:

Running great again!
    Someone on ebay is selling a black on black Calssic with a cloth top (ugh) and calling it the Panther Edition. We here know that there was no such thing. But it does show you the creativity of at least one car dealer.

Henri :surprise:
  • dime2stdime2st Member Posts: 3
    I have a 01 aurora and the dual climate control is giving me a head ache. no mater what you set it at driver side is always hot and pass side is always cold. the pass side window will only go up with the driver side switch also any ideas.
  • kpsmkpsm Member Posts: 12
    I thoroughly enjoyed my loaded white diamond 2001 Aurora with the 5-year, 60k warranty for 50,000 miles. I had added XM radio, and it sounded great through the Bose system.

Checking out new cars, I first drove the 6 cylinder STS, but it seemed sluggish to me. Then I tried the V-8 Buick Lucerne which seemed peppier, but still sluggish compared with my Aurora. Then we drove a DTS Performance model with the NAV system, and it took me no time at all to want it.

We now have the Light Platinum color, with everything on it except for the Adaptive Cruise Control, which I do not want. This car will really move, but the ride is about the best that I've ever experienced.

I wanted the NAV for the enhanced display for XM radio. I am now enjoying using the voice command system for changing radio channels and CD tracks. My wife really likes the analog clock.

We just took delivery on Monday, so these are my early impressions. But, it appears to me that my new Performance DTS is a very worthy successor to my Aurora that I had enjoyed so much for the past four and one-half years.

I'd have to say,though,that if the Aurora were still being made, I'd likely have bought an '06 Aurora instead.
  • cehsr8033cehsr8033 Member Posts: 11
    Just a reminder about fueling up a 4.0. I had the rare experience of having my fuel pumped in Yuma, Arizona by an old chatty guy like me (Never thought I would see a $43.00 fillup on this car!)and I failed to check how he put the gas cap back on the car--he didn't give it that extra twist necessary to properly seal.
    A few hours later, climbing up out of Phoenix on the way to Flagstaff, I get the "Check Engine" light--course, going up hill on a hot afternoon, I had the usual fear that my rock steady Aurora was finally going to fail me.
    After about 20 minutes, I remembered the last fill up and realized that I hadn't put the gas cap on--about the same time the gas guage went up to full tho I was registering over 275 miles on the trip odometer, so I had my answer.
    Stopped to tighten the cap but the light was still lit and the gas guage still at full but I was satisfied that the cap was my problem and continued on to the next fill up which solved both problems.
    So, just a reminder about that gas cap--make sure it clicks several times or you will be getting that most concerning of all warnings. Better said, don't strike up conversations with gas attendants and forget to check what you know and they don't. Now, if I could only figure out why the low tire pressure warning keeps coming on in cold, wet, or the last time, hot weather conditions!
    On the redundant side--here we are another ten thousand down the road in this beauty without a real hiccup--amazing reliability here--90000 miles and the car is rock solid up and down the hills and around all the curves--she can play it fast or slow but has all the grace and aplomb of a really great road car--how nice it is to cruise up those long Arizona pulls with the temperature at 101 with the A/C going full blast and the temp guage not moving off normal! The wonders of modern engineering are always brought to mind when I remember many sweltering miles in the summer, driving cars that demanded a choice between cool air or overheating--no mas.
  • tjm97tjm97 Member Posts: 27
    90,000 miles? - Wow, that's LOW
    My '97 has 216,000 and mechanically incredible (paint on the nose is showing it's age).
    The Aurora Club of North America has several members just under and OVER 300,000 miles.
  • carpetcarpet Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Aurora tells me (DIC) it is overheating and my traction control turns off.

The temperature gauge is normal, antifreeze is always full; the fans work; the skirt on the front bumper is intact, what could it be?

I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor and the PCM - I still get the same message. It sometimes happens apx.2min after I start the car, then again about half an hour later.

What's going on with it?
  • vadim2vadim2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody!
    I'm thinking about purchasing '95 - '97 Aurora.
    Please advise what to check on the car. Which year model is better? What annual maintanance cost to expect?
    Thanks in advance.
    Vadim
  • econoguyeconoguy Member Posts: 1
    hi,i need to glue the mounting block for my rearview mirror back on the windshield.there is a metal clip that holds it in the mirror assembly,anyone know how to remove it,also does it require a special tool?

thanks
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Vadim,

Hope you join us Classic owners.

My advice is to buy the latest model year you can. '99s in general are the best; search the archives and you will see what I mean.

Get a CarFax report. Try to get maintenance history. It seems like there are two categories of Classics: good and bad. The bad ones cost their owners a lot of money; replacement parts can be expensive and Joe's garage may not be able to help you. The good ones (like mine ('97 with 130,000 miles)) need nothing more than normal maintenance of wear items (oil and filter, lubrication, brakes, coolant, hoses, tires, etc).

Be aware that there is an active safety recall for replacement of the nylon fuel rail with stainless steel; several Auroras have been destroyed by fire from leaking gasoline. The recall covers '95 thru '97+ (I'm not sure how recent).

Good luck.

Les
  • easman61easman61 Member Posts: 28
    Econoguy -I had the same problem after my mirror on my 99 Aurora fell off the windshield yesterday. I finally was able to remove it with a small screw driver that priced it up over the notches that hold it in. At the same time I used another screw driver on the top end to slide it down. Used the two stage adhesive found at O'Reilys and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps!
    Interesting, mine just fell off yesterday. Must be the hot and humid weather.

Henri
  • korcarikorcari Member Posts: 16
    Hey Guys

My waterpump left on me two days ago on my aurora '99. I went to an indipendent mechanic who replaced it for about 200 $ but I noticed two things for which I argued over with him:

1. He did not have that special tool (sorry don't know the name but know that exists) to remove the pump from the socket, so he used a hammer and screwdriver to rotate and break the pump until he pulled the thing out.

2. He lost one of the original bolts that attaches the cover to the pump socket and used a different bolt (I can tell the difference from the head configuration of this bolt ).

My concerns are:

#1: Could it be that the watersocket pump may have gotten damaged because he used the hammer and a screwdriver to rotate the old pump flips i.e. this could cause leaks in the future?

#2. Am afraid if the wrong bolt had the wrong length (i.e. longer or thicker) and as such it may make the bolt hole unusable in case I have to replace the waterpump again.
    This will require replacing the whole spatul and not just the waterpump socket which could be a catatrophe (way expesive) financially spealking...

I regret that I brought the car to this fricking mechanic but now is too late...:(

Any thought? Does anyone know what is the bolt size for the cover that attaches to the waterpump socket?

Thx Niko
  • mbalsamombalsamo Member Posts: 3
    I had a similiar problem but it would stall while driving...finally figured out that it was the fuel pump...check that...
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Member Posts: 60
    Any ideas on this: while turning the wheel either right/left and moving forward slowly I hear a growling noise almost like something is shuddering or grabbing. I know nothing is rubbing in the wheel wells since I checked that.
    It steers nice otherwise and I only hear while going slow and turning from center position to halve radius.

I will be replacing rotors/pads soon so I can look into your suggestions on this. Thanks

paul
    Dont know about the Aurora, but in my HOnda that was the ball joint going bad. I also understood that in the Mercury Capri I had that could alo be the tie-rods. Don't know if this helps.

Vicente
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    The Aurora has grease fittings on the tie rod ends and on the ball joints, doesn't it? I assume those have been kept greased.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Leaving Thursday for a trip from Ontario to New Brunswick, which means lots of fast highway miles in one of the greatest cruising vehicles ever built. Looking forward to the drive, though with two toddlers in the car, maybe the total experience will not be what it might ... ;)

Latest service record pretty good (knock wood) at 150k (kms)with nothing but regular maintenance to report. May have to get the third set of rubber soon, though.

Hoping to keep this car running through 2008 at least :)
    With the rise in gas prices - Are you still putting premium gas in your cars????

Henri - 95 - Yes I am. :D
    Henri,

Yes. Sometimes I mix 93 and 89 since recommended octane is 91.

Les
  • ttyfxrttyfxr Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 02 4.0 and had a similar 'vibration' and mileage change. I could hear a 'miss' or puff at idle. I took the car to a local garage (not dealer) and they did a vacuum test with nitrous gas. The gasket between the intake and manifold was cracked and leaked at less than half throtle. The part was about $25 at the G.M. dealer, it took about 3-4 hours to change. I would see if you could have that test done. It might be the problem...
  • ttyfxrttyfxr Member Posts: 2
    I need to clear up my mind first.... INTAKE= throtle body. MANIFOLD= plenumn. Sorry about the confusion...
    Warm weather or Northaster car. Been through the snow , the ice and the road salt??

Henri (N.J)
  • easman61easman61 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Henry. The car spent the first three years of its life in Detroit I believe the carfax said. I bought it at a Cadilac dealer in St. Louis while home visiting my parents after searching for just the right classic. I brought it home to NW Arkansas where we get one snow a year and no salt. There is no sign of any rust or corrosion on the car.
    The only thing I can think of wrong are a few scratches on the front on that long plastic nose and a little peeling black trim paint on the sunroof frame.
    There is a current eBay auction for a set of Aurora chrome 17" wheels and caps. It ends at 18:20 PDT Sunday, Sept 17. The starting bid is $400; there are no bids yet. These wheels fit all Auroras from 1995 through 2003. I love the way the 2001+ wheels look on my '97.

I have absolutely no affiliation with the seller.

Les
  • drea1drea1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Aurora autobahn pkg.
    Told by radiator shop that we have head gasket problems...husband dives into the motor, pulls out the heads (took two days) and broke a cam while he was at it. Going at this blind as we have no book.
    Our question is:
    Can we have a 305 Olds engine replace the 4.0 that's in it?
    Or is would it be better to go with a Cadilac Northstar?
    Or will nothing but an exact replica of the 4.0 Aurora motor work?
    Thanks in advance to any and all replys!
    Whether the Caddie 4.6 will fit work in the Aurora has been a topic of discussion on this forum since it began in 1998. Because no one here has tried it, there has been no definitive answer. Some say yes, others say no. I would not ry to put in a 305 because of the computer software for the 305 is almost certianly different.

Now the caddie northstar. There is not suppose to be any difference in the external measurements of the engine. The difference is only suppose to be in the bore. Now, here is the issue with using the caddie. Will the Aurora cimputer recognize and use the extra displacement of the 4.6 northstar? My mechanic drives an Aurora and works at a (former) Olds dealership, he says the computer should recognize the displacement and use it. However, that is a guess because, as I said, no one knows of an actual switch.

Personally, I think your situation is prime to try thr caddie conversion. I would just like to see someone due it. If you do a search for "4.6" or "caddie northstar," you will probably find most of the postings. Some of the postings are on the old threads before Edmunds upgraded its webware, so you may have to do a little reserach.
  • jjdawg690jjdawg690 Member Posts: 1
    Hey i was wondering if anyone knew the size of the Bose subwoofer they put in the Aurora and if it could be swapped out for a better sub and use the same wires and all.
    aROARa '98 ran flawlessly on the long trip this summer -- has to be the best highway cruiser ever built. :)

Coming up on 160,000 km (that's 100,000 miles) this month and running very smoothly. Not sure if the tires will see me through the winter.

I use the mid-grade gasoline, and it runs just fine.
  • lovelyt85lovelyt85 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: :confuse: Newbie here. I'm thinking of buying a '96 Aurora Sedan from a friend of my mother's and I wanted to know if it's worth it. First of all, I looooove the amenities in this car and I really want to buy it, but he recently had a problem with the alternator. I don't know the specifics yet, but I think he had to have it replaced. Also it requires premium gas I'm a little strapped for cash. I haven't gotten a vehicle history report yet either. My questions are:

1) How helpful are these reports?
    2) What is the danger to use regular gas instead of premium gas?

I've heard that using regular gas in cars made after 1990 is not necesarily a bad thing because these cars have knock sensors, but I don't know what that means. This might be a deal breaker for me. Can anybody give me some good advice?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Any word on Aurora? It will be a sad day, indeed, if she's gone.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• pegasusthunderpegasusthunder Member Posts: 13
    Hey there!!
    I own a '95 Aurora. The only problems I have had with mine is the ignition switch. I had to have it replaced because it wouldn't start and the security light would come on. Not stay on, but it was the only light that would come on. Now I have no problem starting!!!
    As for the gas, I have used the cheapest gas for my bank account is strapped for cash too. And I have had no problems using it. No engine failure, nothing. In fact, it runs like a dream.
    I love this car. Mine called out to me in a car lot. Even though I had trouble with it, I still loved it. Now the problem seems to be taken care of. I have not had a problem with it for quite a few months now.
    My advice is to ask if there has been any other problems. Some cars run great, and some can be lemons. The reports on this site scares me, but I have had a lot worse cars than this one. So far, this car is great. I love mine. I wish you luck and if you do decide to buy it, welcome to our aROARa family. Not all Auroras are bad!!! ;)
    How many miles are on the car?
    Did they have the recall done on the fuel lines?
    What is the price of the car?

There is a posting in either this forum or one of the others that is a check list on buying an Aurora.

I would suggest you search for the checklist and then go through it. I think then you will be able to answer the question of purchase or pass.

By the way, I am NOT emotionally attached to my aROARa. I just do a dead on impersonation of a guy that is. ;)
    The Old Girl only needed an alternator $665.00. The Northstar was fine. I could not understand how I killed the engine at only 115K miles. On this forum and on ebay, there are plenty of arouras with lots more miles.

By thw way . . . .
    So where is eveybody on their milage with there cars? In other words: who is the mileage champ?

Henri with 1995, autobahn package - 115,600 miles