Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I agree that in many cases,especially if you keep your cars for a while that it pays to buy versus lease. There are cases however where leasing makes sense;you may want a new car every 2-3 years,or a company requires you to lease. If a vehicle depreciates rapidly,yet the finance company or leasing company uses a high residual then it would make sense to lease short term and let the finance company assume the resale risk. At the end of the lease,you can then decide if the purchase option on your lease is worthwhile based on real used car values at that time. This may be the case with the MPV. I may be interested in 2-3 years in selling,but I will probably be 'upside down' on my loan, owe more on than the vehicle is worth. If that is the case,then it would have been beneficial to lease. This also assumes that you do not use more miles than is in your lease.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I'm afraid I can't get you the picture of the two Excursions that I was telling you about. I guess they saw the light and bought a '01 blue Ford Windstar Limited, and a Toyota 4Runner. Funny, eh? ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    If you go to www.carmax.com and check for resale on mpv 2001, you will be a lot happier.
    If I remember correctly they resale there for an lx is 20,900 for one with 12k miles on it. These are most likely purchased at auctions after a lease is run up. I know for a fact that carmax pays 17k for this type of situation.

There will be a lot of resold mpv's im afraid because this suv has been leased to death.

A used lx with 12k on it running at a no haggle price of 20,900 is very high to me actually, considering you could buy a new one for 21,600 with side airbags.

You know whats odd, my local paper says on the 2000 mpv theres a 3000.00 rebate image that.
  • j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    Thanks for your clarification, rutgers. Still you can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out the value of your vehicle in 4-5 years time! So many things can change. Before we bought our MPV we went to a local car show where we could spend as much time as we liked with any vehicle sold. A substantial number of people were VERY impressed with the MPV - there was a bigger crowd around it than any other minivan. But the recurring theme was, "It's soo neat, but I WANT an SUV!" If gas prices skyrocket, maybe the minivans become more practical (even 16 MPG is better than 12) and their resale increases. Maybe not. That's why I parlayed my Subaru story. Subarus have always been reliable but have never had the "Honda Snob" mentality. The Outback has changed that but you couldn't have guessed that 4 years ago. If you buy what you like and it suits your needs, be satisifed in that - it's all you can control!

BTW, after living in Australia for six months I noticed that Hondas are generally MIA down under, but Subies and Mazdas are everywhere! It was a welcome change of scenery :O)
    gunga64 and j2kbarlow,
    Okay,maybe I am overreacting a bit,but the only thing that matters is what you can actually get when trading in your van. People may like the MPV at shows,and carmaxx may have it listed at $20,900,but if the best you can actually get for it is $16,000,then that is the real value of the vehicle. A lot of people like,and look at the MPV,but they buy the Sienna and Ody,that is a fact,and that is what drives the price of these vans. I am not saying I dislike our MPV,and my wife does love it,however,in hindsight,as of today's market,it was a financial mistake. I guess I have already lost enough on my mutual funds in the past year,and I was burned in the real estate market not long ago,so this is a sensitive issue for me,and I probably should have chosen the 'safe' route when buying something. At least,I should have leased. Why I didn't research this beforehand is my mistake. I think the MPV is a nice,dependable,useful,vehicle. I wish more people,including the auto journalists felt the same way. Unfortunately,unless the perception in the market changes,this is something I will have to live with for years to come. BTW,Consumer reports must have gotten the depreciation wrong,as they list it as 'average';and I put alot of stock in what they say. There is something wrong when the Dodge Caravan is more desireable to consumers than the MPV.
    ...rutger. I'm not trying to say your concerns are unfounded. Only time will tell.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Don't be hard on yourself. Even though everyone knows that Mazda's resale value is less than Toyota's or Honda's, the difference isn't that much, actually. I just visited Kelly Blue Book and looked up the resale value of Sienna and MPV. Here is what I found out.

First, don't forget that Sienna and MPV has different options and different initial prices. I have already posted here before (see my post #1590 in this forum) mentioning that Sienna LE + LE Value package is almost perfect match for MPV LX + Sports package. MSRP of Sienna with those options is CDN$32,990 and MPV is CDN$30,695. Keep in mind that Sienna is sold at close to MSRP while MPV is several thousands below, so initial price difference could be about CDN$5,000 (US$3,500). Now, here is the 2000 model resale value due to KBB (both equipped similarly in excellent condition): Sienna: US$19,615. MPV: US$15,960. Difference is $3,655. Almost the same as what you would have paid initially. So you wouldn't loose money selling both. This difference will be even less in 4 years. Also add your wife's happiness to this and you'll realize that the MPV was not the wrong choice...

I hope this helps.
    The MPV is fine, as far as carmax is concerned its a no hassle price, so to me thats more
    relevent then the stupid price they put in kellys or edmunds or any other book.

That being said , we are pretty convinced now that we will buy a Toyota now. The basic problems we have with the MPV are as follows: We weren't that impressed with the quality of the material that is being used in the interior of the Mazda nor the comfort of the seats. If we got leather that would have taken care of a lot of the quality issues but your talking big bucks then. The transmission churning got on my nerves, more then I thought it would. The fact that tons of used, and new MPV's available worries me a little. If you go to carmax.com they have over 20 for sale here in orlando. Lease or no lease thats a lot to have used on a lot. I also went to a Mazda dealer they had 45 or more new MPV's on the lot, and expected to have over 100 soon. I just find that really really strange. Especially when its coming down to the end of the year.
    j2kbarlow,I know you are trying to make me feel better and I do appreciate that,thanks.
    gunga64, although I envy you in that you have not made your purchase yet,I wish you the best of luck whichever way you go. The Toyota would be an excellent choice,and you know when it is time to trade,it will fetch top dollar,at least compared to other vans.
    Has anyone out there actually traded in a 2000 MPV? How did you make out? Also,has anyone leased a 2001 MPV,what type of residual value did the leasing company use? Timing is everything in life,and I guess it worked against me in this case. My wife is happy,and that is a good thing,but if I am miserable then it is only a consolation,and I will until we trade it in have this lousy feeling. I encourage anyone considering the MPV to be aware of the resale value versus whatever else you are considering.One suggestion,have the salesman give you the Galves book value on each vehicle from the 2000 model year,then compare this to the selling price of the new car to determine the depreciation.
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    look like crap. these are arbitrary prices

common sense would tell you that hardly any car ever sells at 60% or 70% of their original price after a couple of year or so.

A quick search in Canada shows some really good used prices. While none of these specifies the model, take note that MPV invoices in Canada would roughly be around $22.8k for a DX, $26k for an LX, $29.9k for an ES.

MPV link1!

MPV link1!

MPV link1!

sorry, that was the 1st time i try pasting on a link using an html tag. here they are again, hopefully with the 3 links correctly on.

MPV link1!

MPV link2!

MPV link31!

LAST TRY, if this doesnt work i give up! sorry guys for messing up. at least i'm learning some html.. (mwahaha).

MPV link1!

MPV link2!

http://carclick.canada.com/services_invitem.asp?ik=158980&sk=ott&bk=90000029">MPV link3!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Maybe you'd like to try it with this code?
    [A href="http://www.goes.here">link</A]
    (swap arrows for the brackets).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    That's okay, maybe your neighbors couldn't afford the fuel bill of all those big vehicles unlike those of us owning MPVs (content).

--javadoc
  • drdrevansdrdrevans Member Posts: 17
    Rutger, Lord, you need to chill out. The MPV is a great car. IF you paid, say, $3,000 less for it than you would have for a Sienna, that's about $60/month in payments (on a 5-year loan, assuming that you don't have a special financing deal)--and I don't believe for a minute that you can buy a comparably equipped Sienna for less than $4 to 5,000 more, so this is a conservative figure. Put that $60/month into a mutual fund. Presuming that the market goes up, at least after a year or so, and you'll have maybe $4,500 to $5000 in that fund at the end of five years. Then, of course, you won't have to replace the transmission in the Mazda in two or three years like you would in the Sienna...and you'll be DEEP in the black by the time you're done with your MPV.

On the subject of resale values, I just traded in my absolutely loaded 1997 Explorer XLT 4wd for just over $10,000. Three-and-a-half years ago, when I bought it, all the websites said a comparably equipped one would be worth about $13 to $15,000 after 4 years. What happened? Firestone. Let an equivalent thing happen to ANY minivan, Toyota, Honda, MPV, or other, and the resale will plummet. If those Odysseys keep breaking down, and people are paying attention, those cars will NOT be worth 72% of retail in 5 years. Why do you think Chrysler products have always had lousy resale? Because they are cr-p and have been for years. Get 55,000 miles out of one without major problems and you're lucky.

Buying a new car is a crapshoot. Depreciation is disastrous on virtually every new car. Buy what you like and just deal with it...And what's done is done. Relax and enjoy your MPV...It's the best deal available on a minivan, and you'll get your money's worth out of it if you keep it until it's paid for.
  • utcarsonsutcarsons Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to say we won't be buying an MPV any time soon...we got a trade in value for our current car (rutger..it's not an MPV :-P) and it was significantly less than we expected (and we bought it at A-plan pricing!!!)...so we have a bit more saving to do before we grab an ES.

Anyway, my question is what are the best incentives you've seen in for the MPV? What would you think will happen for closeout of 01? I'd really like to get an ES before power doors are std.

TIA
    Jodie
    Here in florida you can get 1500.00 in rebate for a 2001 and 3000.00 rebate for a 2000.

We just got a call from the Mazda dealer hes offering to sell us a used MPV 2000 with 16k miles on it for 2000 less then the new one. Give me a break! If you can't afford invoice price on a new MPV you should'nt be looking at a 2000 with 16k on it.

Basically they are selling new MPV's any model here for invoice +1% minus the rebate, and thats not even dealing. They may try to add an application fee of 350.00 to the price at closing but I think even that can be bargained off the price.

If anyone needs to know the dealer that offers any MPV for 1% over invoice I can give you the name. Its in Orlando Florida. Just let me know.

The rebate is good till july 9th but I am sure they will keep it going, if not increase it. Mazda is the king of rebates, for japanese cars anyway.

Bye the way you can get a good deal on a Sienna, don't be confused with MSRP on those. They are hurting just like everyone else is. Recession is coming baby!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Chill out, relax, revel in your wife's pleasure [no small thing, as I'm sure you already know], enjoy the quality of the van when you get to drive it, and for the love of everything that's sane, stop beating yourself up about what may or may not happen in four or five years' time.

Alternately, do keep beating yourself up. Then when crunch time actually does roll around, you'll be too far gone to notice or care. You'll just be sitting there drooling uncontrollably and playing peek-a-boo with your fingers.

;>

RJ
  • osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    Today is a Tanabata festival which the star Vega and another star face each other at the both sides of the Milky Way once a year.
    We, especially , kids celebrate a wish and hope.
    We regard the two stars as separating brother, or separating love in the Japanese fairy tale.
    On my way to home, I dropped in the Mazda to buy a touch up paint, pure white,for 750Yen.
    At that time I confirmed new two items for the MPV with seeing a sales manual of Mazda.
    Item 1. H.I.D. headlight system for 133,000Yen.
    Re #1747 Rblader-Sann,
    I asked a salesman that the possibility of sending this option to N/A,if this will not be available in the future in N/A. It is supposed to replay me.
    Item 2. Factory-installed DVD entertainment system with DVD,game and TV. for 218,000Yen.
    I guess this will be the dealler-installed option in the future.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Osaka
  • osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    Sorry,I missed the typing.
    Item 2 is for rear.(REAR entertainment system )
    Osaka
  • louis1004louis1004 Member Posts: 8
    Do all 2001 MPV LX supposed to come with heated side mirror? If so, where is the switch to turn it on?

Also, the 2001 MPV LX with rear a/c and 4 season package supposed to have rear heater coming from the vent in the top or the bottom duck?

Also, I checked the size of the radiator for both DX (plain) and LX (with 4-season package). It seems like they had the same size radiator? Is this true or am I mistaking?

Also, is it true that front mud guards are not necessary to keep the car clean? Instead, they make car even dirtier? (according to a middle-eastern salesman).
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    The mirrors are activated when you press the rear defogger button.

Having rear ac does not provide you with rear heat. You need the rear heat option for that.
    By adjusting the temp knob you should get the heat I believe from the bottom duct.

I do not know about the radiator size, count the number of rows that is what is important when it comes to radiators from front to back.

I have the mud guards and I think they are more for looks than anything else. I happen to like the look. One of these days I will add the spoiler! I doubt that makes a difference either!

MSGJVH
  • etin143etin143 Member Posts: 9
    Did anyone Install or can tell me where to find running boards for our MPV.I'm interested in something like the ones install in the toyota sienna.
    Based on my experience,the Edmunds and Kelly blue book used car values are worthless when trading in a car. All the dealers at least here in NJ use the 'Galves' book,published every 2 weeks and all dealers subscribe to this publication. The figures in this book are less than any other publication or on line service,but it is the bible amoung car dealers. I think it is a self serving and probably self published book by the dealers who know most people do not want the hassle of selling their cars themselves.
  • shchushchu Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an used 2000 MPV LX.
    The car is supposed to have the keyless entry system(right?) but I couldn't receive the transmitter.
    Can I buy a transmitter from Mazda dealer?
    And anybody knows how to activate a new transmitter?
    (In the case of Maxima, there was a procesure to activate it without any special equipment)
    Thanks.
    My final deal was as follows from a NJ dealer on July 3rd. 2001 sand mica LX,security pkg,roof rack,step plate. List $25105, sold for $23140 less $1000 rebate = $22140 final price,with 4.9%financing for 60 mths. I did receive about $600-700 less than KBB or Edmunds on trade though. Dealer was good to work with,but please don't try to sell me those extended warranty plans which is pure gravy in most cases for the dealer. IMO,lojack is not worth it,that is why I have insurance; and window etching is a total waste. I really hate buying a new car.Dealers,even the good ones are a pain and are only out to make as much as they can get away with. If they have a 'hot' seller,then they start getting smug,like many Toyota or Honda dealers. Its as if you buy anything else you're a fool because its a freakin toyota or honda,then they try to make $2000-3000 profit on each vehicle,and sing the blues if you try to get them down a few hundred. And when will manufacturers learn how to make enough vehicles.By not making enough,don't they realize they are losing money because they do need volume and many prospective customers walk away and buy something else because they don't want to wait 4 months to get a car,or buy something without a test drive because there are none to drive. As a businessperson I just do not understand this. Oh btw,I wish I saw more MPV's on the road. Sorry to go off on a tangent,I'm good at that.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    You off on a tangent??? NOOOOO

I do agree with your assessment of dealers but not the trade in value arguement. As I have posted before, enjoy your MPV. I do, even though it has to go get the window motor fixed tomorrow.

Hopefully you are taking the advise of others and taking the money you have saved and put it into a mutual fund. This will certainly offset by hundreds if not thousands of dollars the resale loss you are anticipating.
    Does anyone know how the alarm system works that come with the security system? Does it have an ignition/starter cutoff, or fuel system cut off?My insurance company needs to know. Is there a separate book on this or is it covered in the owners manual? Thanks
  • gfm3gfm3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Mazada MVP 18 months ago with Yokohama tires as original equipment, and to date have been quite please with the performance of the vehicle. However after 22,000 miles, one tire has already gone flat, the remaining three tires are bald and need to be replaced. These tires have been inspected and rotated, in accordance to the maintenance schedule. The front end and alignment are up to standard. I have returned to the dealer, who has suggested that I contact the Manufacturer, since the warranty is only for one year. I am yet to hear back from Yokohama.

I have checked the NHTSA web site, and have found the same complaint (ODI ID: 878864) for the same make and model of tire

I am not quite sure what my next step should be. Any helpful comments
    Isn't it amazing the junky tires they put on new cars. I'd rather them give me the money they spent on tires and pay extra for ones I buy on my own. I can recall when I was younger I'd buy goodyear or firestone tires, only to see them wear prematurely or for some unknown reason get a flat in the sidewall instead of a repairable area. I wish these dumb manufactors would stop putting junky tires on new cars. They have useless warrenties on them when they are new. Give me Michelin tires of my choice any day. I could get them for 1/2 the prices these clowns pay for the junk they put on these new cars. One of the dealers I went to told me for a fee we will give you tires for life or some nonsense. Yeah right.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I cannot recall any new car I purchased that had decent tires on it. Most of them become racing slicks after 20K miles. The last time I argued with a tire manufacturer about a set of out-of- round tires the district manager told me "Hey, an egg will roll and it's not round..."
    With attitudes like that I'm not wasting my time with them anymore. They act like you're taking money from their grandmother. Of course, the auto dealers are absolutely no help. "Not our tires, man".
    When the original tires bomb out I just go out and get a good set Michelin's and be done with it.
    I concur that most OEM tires are junk. There are exceptions. One was my Subaru Outback that I traded in for the MPV (Michelins standard - 66K miles and counting). I noticed that you can't even buy the Dunlops that came on our 2K1 aftermarket! If they last 25K miles, I'll be satisfied. My '93 Miata had the same issue.

Anybody have any idea which OEM tires hold up better on the new MPV's?
    So I can whine,after having just bought an MPV,does anyone know what Mazda is doing with rebates or financing now that 7/9/01 has passed?
    My last set of oem tires lasted 63,000 miles on my van. General XP2000 GT. They were pretty good.
    Just found out 1500 till 10/1/01 was on carsdirect.com site for mpv
  • garyjwmsgaryjwms Member Posts: 28
    Hiya Folks!

Well, after lurking on this list for the past few months, I purchased a 2001 MPV LX with the security package, rear a/c, roof rack and rear bumper step plate. I bought it through Carsdirect.com and had an absolutely positive experience (I can elaborate more on this if anyone is interested). I shopped the carsdirect price around to 3 area dealers, and none could come within $1000 of the price.

With rebates ($1500, plus an extra $400 via the Mazda graduate program which I qualified for), the price for our van came to $21,118. With tax (8% in California) & Title, the price was just over $23k Just for comparison, I priced out a comparably equipped Sienna and Odyssey on Carsdirect, and found that the MPV was $5,500 less than the Sienna and $6000 less than the Odyssey. Needless to say, I am thrilled with the deal I got!

The vehicle we replaced was a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan, which had 78,000 miles and a myriad of problems, ranging from annoying to rather expensive. After driving the new MPV for a week, here are some of my initial impressions (and inevitable comparisons with our previous van - hope you don’t mind):

In so many ways, this new vehicle is a perfect fit for us. We have 2 small children, so a van continues to be a necessity for us. And given the poor reliability of our GC, we decided to look for a new van. Our mechanic, who also works as a sales rep for a leasing company, suggested we look into the MPV -- several of his other clients were really pleased with the MPV, and it offered the best value for the money.

One concern that my wife and I had was whether or not we could live with a smaller van than what we were used to. The truth is, the MPV is everything we could ever want in a minivan. The MPV is "deceptively roomy" -- that is, while there's less overall space, it's much better designed, and with the infinite seating configurations, the MPV can handle any task that our old GC could handle, from loading up with kids and adults (did it on July 4th) to hauling people and luggage to the airport. And the overall quality (fit & finish, firm ride, precise steering) is worlds better than our not-so-old Caravan, which in many ways was, well, I think the technical term is "squishy" -- bouncy suspension, vague imprecise steering, uncomfortable foam seats with little support, even the suspension made a "squishy" sound -- the way it creaked, groaned and rattled, we were always worried that something was going to fall off (and we actually had this happen!)

While I could go on, here's my short list of things I like about our new van, and things that I would want to change if I could:

Cool things:

Stereo system -- it rocks! I have the standard 4 speaker system w/Single CD & Cassette. Love having an in-dash CD again, after having one stolen from my old car years ago.

Roll-down windows in the sliding door -- my 5-year old loves this, and my Odyssey-owning friends are jealous!

Infinitely adjustable seating -- mentioned before, I especially like how the front 2 seats can flatten into a sleeper bed.

Rear a/c - definitely worth it - I originally ordered an LX w/Security package only, but the Cars direct rep said that the only models left in dealer inventory are also equipped with rear a/c, adding an extra $512 to the price tag. I'm glad I splurged -- this was key on the day we went to Dodger Stadium, after the van sat in 90 degree sunshine.

Suggested improvements:

Power locks: Keyless entry is cool, but once you're in the van, the only power lock control is on the driver's side. I want one on the passenger side as well. Also, I'd want the power locks to automatically engage when you start the Van, and unlock when you turn the car off. The driver has to manually activate the switch.

Under seat tray -- I'd want it to be large enough to store file folders or magazines, and be lockable.

Under second seat space -- I like that the middle row seats slide together, but I do wish that there were storage space under the middle row. There's a little space under the 3rd row, enough to stow diapers and baby wipes for our daughter.

Security alarm beep -- at first, I thought that there was no audible indicator to let me know if the alarm was engaged, but I discovered pressing the button a second time causes the horn to "toot", which I find annoying, and I think my neighbor will as well. I'd want a softer electronic beep, and also a little blinking red light on the dash when the alarm is engaged.

Gear shift arm -- it obscures the two buttons I use most on the stereo (to select the CD track I want to hear), But I'm getting used to it now.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this information is helpful for those of you lurking on this list, considering an MPV. I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up, and I'm delighted to know that the people on this list love their MPV's as much as I do!
    Oh -- forgot to mention, I also asked for and got the voucher for the free booster seat. For those of you with little ones, it's a freebie that Mazda & Ford Dealers are offering, I think until 10/30/01. Ask for it though, the sales people may not know about it or mention it off-hand. I also found a press release on the Mazda media site:

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/SwitchBoard.cfm

Tried your link - seems I have to have some sort of authorization. Could you post the press release?
    Sorry -- here's the text of the press release:

April 30, 2001

MAZDA DEALERS TO PARTICIPATE IN BOOSTER SEAT GIVEAWAY

-- Customer-Focused Program Provides Booster Seats to Parents of Young Children --

IRVINE, Calif. - In order to enhance child passenger safety, Mazda today announced the participation of its over 700 dealers in a nationwide booster seat giveaway program. The booster seat giveaway is one of the primary elements of the "Boost America!" program sponsored by Ford Motor Co. Boost America! will distribute one million booster seats, half through the United Way to low-income families and the remainder through participating dealers and other partnering organizations.
    Mazda dealers will distribute over 67,000 vouchers for free booster seats between now and the end of October. Customers may redeem the vouchers at Toys "R" Us for a free Evenflo Right Fit booster seat or for a discount on another belt-positioning booster seat. The vouchers will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis while supplies last.

"This program is a wonderful opportunity for Mazda's customers to enhance the safety of their children with booster seats. We encourage our customers who have children between the ages of four and eight to stop by their local Mazda dealer and pick-up a voucher," said Charles R. Hughes, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations.

Experts agree that children weighing 40-80 pounds-typically between the ages of four and eight-should use belt-positioning booster seats restrained by lap-shoulder belts. The booster seat elevates the child so that the lap-shoulder belt fits better. Currently, booster seat use is estimated at 21 percent. Effectiveness data shows that children properly secured in child safety seats survive nearly three-quarters of the crashes that otherwise would be fatal.

Mazda North American Operation is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer parts and service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    I called my dealer to find out, and they had no clue whatsoever...

So I called my old Ford dealer (I have also a 98 Escort) and they do have the vouchers and to stop by to pick it up... I will stop by the actual Mazda dealer I will be taking it for service (which is not the same where I bought it since they wouldn't go that low).

If interested, I bought an LX with sec, 4seas, rear ac, roof rack and net for $240 over invoice, less $1000 rebate AND 4.9 % financing. We wanted it in red originally but they are nowhere to be found (I don't think I've seen any in the road yet), so our second choice was white. It took us a while to find it though, pretty much all over NJ.

Also, they tried to push the useless extendend service, but the funny thing was that they were pushing their own, and not Mazda's ! - Even when I told them that I'm moving to VT in a month, they said 'oh - but Lojac would still work :).

We are very happy with it (my wife drives it weekdays, I drive weekends). And on the 6th of July, we lowered the rear seat and watched the fireworks (at Rider U. for those in NJ).

L8r...
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    First of all, welcome to the club--happy miles.

As to the security light. Believe it or not, there IS a warning light for the security system. The problem is that it's so small and blinks so seldom --every three seconds--that your average thief would have to be 106 years old to be slow enough to notice it before he broke into the car.

I agree with your comment about the rear AC. Like you, I didn't want it and had to take it and have since come to really really appreciate it. But what I think is the niftiest feature is that third row, not only the tumble-under feature, but that spacious well behind it when the seat is up. Good grief, the stuff you can dump in there!

Also on the security system. When you lock the doors with the remote, the parking lights blink. Easy to overlook if you're not looking at them, but if you remind yourself to watch for them, you'll improve your relations with your neighbors quite a bit. :) And if you happen to be close to the car when you lock, you can clearly hear the door locks clamp down. I only use my horn signal when I'm not sure I've locked.

Enjoy your van

RJ
    You CAN order the OEM Dunlops aftermarket - sorry for the earlier misinformation everyone.

I've had good experience with Dunlops on my Miata, but have never seen or heard of the SP40 A/S before getting them on our new MPV. Anyone know if they hold up better than the Yoko's?
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    great results with the OEM Dunlops and Yokos. IMO, they are below average in performance and treadlife. As I posted much earlier, our family has owned 4 Mazdas( 2 Proteges,1 626 and our MPV). All came with either Dunlops and Yokos and were way below par, even with regular rotations. Replaced the Proteges and the 626 with Michelins and the cars handled much better and tread life was increased.

Many 2000 MPV owners have stated their vans rode much better when they replaced their tires. We'll all be lucky to get over 25,000 miles on our OEM tires. I highly recommend MICHELIN SYMMETRY tires, a super all season tire perfect for a minivan. Our neighbor put a set on his 99 Quest and he is thrilled with their performance.
  • tedmomtedmom Member Posts: 3
    I've been lurking here and getting great info. re my upcoming MPV purchase. We have the "S" plan and were quoted prices about $400 below invoice for an ES model and LX model with touring option/rear air, enhanced CD roof rack, moonroof. My questions are: Do you think we'd be able to get a better deal off the "S" plan? $400 less than invoice didn't seem that great. Also, since the LX is about a $1000 less than the ES, is the moonroof worth the potential problems (i.e. noise, leaks, lack of headroom?). Thanks in advance. Really enjoy this board. Tedmom
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Have the dealer show you their invoice with the S-plan price listed as required by Mazda if they accept S-plan pricing. It's not likely that you will beat the s-plan price as incentives apply to that price as well, but it's also not impossible to do so. The nice thing about the S-plan is that there is no haggling over the purchase price and that the dealer can't charge you for bogus add-ons like doc fees and admin fees.

:)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Having had many cars with sunroofs before, I'd opt for one always if available, and we lament not having one in our LX (couldn't find one). Modern sunroofs aren't going to give you much trouble at all really. They should never leak or malfunction (for years and years), you'll lose about an inch of headroom, and for the noise factor (biggest drawback imho), the pull-shade with the headliner material should do a superb job of isolating noise, although it prolly is a bit noisier than the steel of the roof. It's a trade-off, and you'd love how big the sunroof is on the MPV. Our next one will most certainly have one.

--java
  • tedmomtedmom Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice re the "S" plan and the moonroof. As a victim of leaky skylights in our home, I didn't want to repeat the experience in my new vehicle. Glad to know the modern moonroofs more reliable these days. :) Tedmom.
    Geez, I didn't realize where the little blinking light was located -- under the tachometer in the instrument cluster. Not too visible, a potential thief has to be literally sitting in the driver's seat to see it. Not much of a deterrant, but at least they won't be able to start the car if the get inside.

Thanks for pointing that out -- and yes, I agree about the well under the back seat -- like everything else about the MPV -- well designed and flexible!
    I've already bought and got a pretty good deal; but what is this 'S' plan about?